It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Cowboy Bebop, Ep-By-Ep! 
Post Re: Smalley becomes even furtherly distracted...

Finally, a session that distinguishes itself from the pack, since it's the one that finally assembles all of the main cast together, this time introducing us to Ed, who I find hilarious and charming and cute and all that. I know some may find her annoying, but I don't (for the most part). The plot here is unique and innovative, focusing around a bored satellite, and the fact that there was no true bad guy here was refreshing. I liked nod to 2001, the great montage of Jet questioning people about Ed, the additional good foreshadowing about Faye's age, the exposition about what happened to Earth, the cool space battle with lasers, the cool relationship between Ed and MPU, and the crazy Igor-y conspiracy nut was fun too. Still not quite great overall, but still, a lot of fun stuff here.

Muzak: "Egg And I" and "Cats On Mars" are both great, a lot of fun, and match the tone of the session perfectly.

Best line: "Radical Edward's profile: he's a 7-foot tall, ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien."

Best moment: When Ed hacks the Bebop and forces it back down.

Final score: B+

See you space cowboy...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Woo-hoo, 2nd page!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Smalley wrote:
Woo-hoo, 2nd page!!!

Yay. I don't think I would be able to analyze which episodes were better than others. Not even if I sat down and watched them all again with the intention of rating them.

Hat is off to you, Smalley.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Gort wrote:
Yay. I don't think I would be able to analyze which episodes were better than others. Not even if I sat down and watched them all again with the intention of rating them.

Hat is off to you, Smalley.

That gives me an idea; after I've rated and reviewed all these eps, I should post my overall ranked list of all 26.

And thanks! :)

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Yay, a session for Jet's past! An extremely melancholic episode, "Ganymede Elegy" gives us a lot of good info on Jet, like how he used to be a cop, his nickname "Black Dog", and a good examination of his stubborn-and-somewhat-doting personality, and how it can be a character flaw for him. The flashbacks to Jet's past were great, as were the flashbacks to the shooting, and I loved the ending where he seems to have finally accepted the fact that Alisa's left him and lets her go for Rhint to take care of instead. Rhint did seem like a bit of a loser boyfriend, but I guess that was the point, Alisa going with someone who isn't as controlling as Jet was. I also liked the funny comic relief moments showing how Ed has become a member of the crew. Anyway, forget what I said earlier about there being no great sessions between 5 and 11, this one is.

Muzak: "Cat Blues" is fun, "The Singing Sea" is beautifully sorrowful, as is "Waltz For Zizi" & "ELM". Pretty much perfect music here.

Best line: "That's just how you were back then! You decided everything! In the end, you were always right! When I was there with you, I never had to do anything for myself; all I had to was hold on your arm like a child, without a care in the world..."

Best moment: Alisa trying to get Jet to back down, and explaining why she left him.

Final score: A-

See you space cowboy...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Just accidentally closed the tab that had my "Toys In The Attic" review just as it was getting finished :( Oh well, maybe tomorrow; I posted 4 reviews tonight anyway.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm

A glorious love letter to Alien/Aliens, "Toys In The Attic" is a creepy, tense, dark (but funny) session, and one of their few episodes to be genuinely creepy (at least as I can remember them), where you can really feel the cold, lonely, suffocating isolation of the Bebop all alone in the black, desolate space, the five of them all alone with the creature stalking them one-by-one. The narrated lessons from each member of the crew (except Ein; wtf?!) are great, and teach us volumes about the way they thing, Jet with his iron moral code, Faye with her deceitful untrusting-ness, Ed with her youthful carefree-ness, and Spike with a simple, straightforward, deadpan, and hilarious final lesson. I love how just leaving the thing in the fridge for too long is the reason behind it all.

The character writing is great here, as is the generous amount of comic relief here all-around (besides Ed getting a little annoying). The battle between Spike and the creature is cool, I loved the zero-gravity sequences, as well as the greatly tense scene where Spike tries to eject the fridge, and that beautiful tribute to 2001 at the end is great. And, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as the computer's voice! Unique, atmospheric, funny, off-kilter, and satisfying-as-hell, "Toys In The Attic" is my easily my second favorite session, and definitely gives "Ballad Of Fallen Angels" some very stiff competition for being top session.

Muzak: Lots of creepy, ambient, mood/atmosphere-setting score, nothing too memorable, but effective for the episode nonetheless. Plus, "Waltz Of The Flowers" during the 2001 tribute! Otherwise, I love the quietness of this session.

Best line: "And that's the story. And what was the real lesson...? Don't leave things in the fridge."

Best moment: That ending.

Final score: A+

THE END

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:33 pm

All of the episodes you've current reviewed have ranged from really awesome to great. Even "Devil," which has one of my favorite shots from the series, captured in an avatar I used for this site.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 pm

MadMan wrote:
All of the episodes you've current reviewed have ranged from really awesome to great. Even "Devil," which has one of my favorite shots from the series, captured in an avatar I used for this site.

Are there any remaining sessions you like less? What was the shot?

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:16 pm

I don't think there's a session I could honestly rate lower than a B in this entire show. Even at its worst, this show is head and shoulders above the pack.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:41 pm
Profile WWW

Smalley wrote:
Are there any remaining sessions you like less? What was the shot?
I'd have to find that avatar, as it has the shot of Spike pointing his finger up to the sky and pretending to shoot the harmonica that he threw up in the air.

I'd have to go back through the sessions and see which one is my least favorite.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Nocturna wrote:
I don't think there's a session I could honestly rate lower than a B in this entire show. Even at its worst, this show is head and shoulders above the pack.

Like I said, only 2 sessions I don't really like.
MadMan wrote:
I'd have to find that avatar, as it has the shot of Spike pointing his finger up to the sky and pretending to shoot the harmonica that he threw up in the air.

I'd have to go back through the sessions and see which one is my least favorite.

Yeah, good shot.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 am

Okay, I found it. Had to dig through the avatar thread, but it was worth it. I realized there are a bunch more awesome Cowboy Bebop avatars I will be using in the future.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 am

We should all go BeBop as a sign of solidarity.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:34 am
Profile WWW

Nocturna wrote:
We should all go BeBop as a sign of solidarity.

I'll do it if you do. :shifty:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:14 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:

I'll do it if you do. :shifty:

OK!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 am
Profile WWW

Nocturna wrote:
OK!

I'll have to make myself a new AV later tonight... right now I'm going to go get Chinese food.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:21 am
Profile WWW

Who's a cute data dog?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:23 am
Profile WWW

Damn, I won't recognize anyone ... again.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 am

Food was good. :up:

More Bebop!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:24 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Food was good. :up:

More Bebop!

I'll definitely try to review "Jupiter Jazz I" tonight. And maybe II too, if I'm lucky :fresh:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:25 am

Guess I'd better hurry up and watch the movie.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 am

Gort wrote:
Guess I'd better hurry up and watch the movie.

I enjoy the movie. It's a good pairing to the series. My Bebopified AV is from the movie...

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:28 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
I enjoy the movie. It's a good pairing to the series. My Bebopified AV is from the movie...

I enjoyed the movie as well.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Part of only 2 two-parters in Bebop history, "Jupiter Jazz (part I)" is an essential series mid-point, bringing back Vicious and finally revealing Julia's name, as well as hinting at animosity between Spike & Vicious over Julia. The atmosphere's simply beautiful here, with the decrepit, run-down, chilly, depressed (both economically and spiritually) moon of Callisto, with all the homeless guys wearing oxygen masks and such. The beautifully melancholic sax music only adds on to the mood here, and I liked seeing Spike's obsessive quest to see Julia again, dropping everything to seek her out just because someone used her name as a code name, and also his protectiveness over her memory (punching out the guy who says she has a "sleazy wench" name, getting mad at Vicious for using her name as a code name).

Loved seeing those creepy old guys that run the Red Dragon Clan for the first time, and I liked how bringing back Vicious seemed essential to moving the show forward, instead of just bringing a popular bad guy back because he was popular, like Star Trek: Voyager was supposed to have done with the Borg ("dry-humping the collective's leg every other week", as Donner put it). Gren's an awesome character, the session has one of the awesomest, most brutal fight scenes in the series with Spike beating up the street gang, I love the scene with Faye & Gren talking in his apartment; beautiful direction, and the dialogue speaks volumes about the characters. The plot twist threw me for a loop, and I love the bit with "Ju-li-us". Just beautiful, sad, pure awesome right here.

Muzak: Lots of awesome sax music.

Best line: "Honor, huh? Well then, it's up to me to sever them all."

Best moment: The talk between Gren and Faye in his apartment.

TO BE CONTINUED

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes that two episode arc is fantastic.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 pm

MadMan wrote:
Yes that two episode arc is fantastic.

Bebop really was on a roll from sessions 11-14. Well, the series as a whole was a good roll, but those sessions especially.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:42 pm

I agree with your Jupiter Jazz remarks... and that the whole series was really on a roll. Which is why it's nice that the show ended. I mean, I wouldn't complain if they released more episodes that were up to par with these... but it is refreshing that they didn't run it into the ground and overdo all of the characters and resort to absurd plots that served no purpose.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:17 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
I agree with your Jupiter Jazz remarks... and that the whole series was really on a roll. Which is why it's nice that the show ended. I mean, I wouldn't complain if they released more episodes that were up to par with these... but it is refreshing that they didn't run it into the ground and overdo all of the characters and resort to absurd plots that served no purpose.

True. And this is precisely what I believe about Firefly, too.

The Future Unreels

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:08 am

viewtopic.php?p=564874#p564874

Someone please av that for me!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 am

Smalley wrote:
http://corrierino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=564874#p564874

Someone please av that for me!!!

You should check the av thread more thoroughly.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:30 am
Profile WWW

Nocturna wrote:
You should check the av thread more thoroughly.

Um, but I didn't want to wear a Bebop av "a year ago"...?
: /

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 am

But anyway, thanks.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:38 am

Haha... I actually remember that being made along with a bunch of other Bebop AVs.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:17 am
Profile WWW

I think I've come to prefer part I to 2 a little bit, as it seemed to have a little more going on in it, but still, a lot of great, emotional powerful stuff here, and a great end to the two-parter; we get a great, haunting montage of Spike's past and some essential tidbits about Vicious & Spike, a great spaceship battle climax, and a beautiful end with what Spike does for Gren, as well as the way Jet forgives Spike at the end for running out and not bagging Gren, letting him back onboard the Bebop. And, we found out about Spike's eyes! One small quibble, though; the short scene after the mid-point with Ed and Ein on the Bebop is useless and breaks the mood, especially since we get some action with Ed near the end anyway, so it wasn't necessary to shoehorn her in so soon. Still, an awesome episode.

Muzak: "Words That We Couldn't Say" is awesome, "Waste Land" is stirring and inspiring, and "Space Lion" is simply gorgeous. Kick-ass music here, maybe the best of any session to date,

Best line: "It's like I'm watching a dream."

Best moment: The unique, beautiful end credits.

DO YOU HAVE A COMRADE?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:23 am

Hank wrote:

Yes it is... still, like I said, a second, 26 episode season of Bebop would've been nice, and I think they definitely could've come up with enough fresh material to make it work as good as the first one.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:26 am

Smalley wrote:
Yes it is... still, like I said, a second, 26 episode season of Bebop would've been nice, and I think they definitely could've come up with enough fresh material to make it work as good as the first one.

Are you sure? They seemed to be struggling a wee bit to come up with a movie's worth of ideas. Not all of them were new, either. 8-)

The Future Unreels

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Gort wrote:
Are you sure? They seemed to be struggling a wee bit to come up with a movie's worth of ideas. Not all of them were new, either. 8-)

Hey, 26 22-minute episodes worth adds up to multiple movies' worth of worthy material, right? I don't know if the movie and the show shared all the same writers/creative team, and I think the original staff could've done another worthy 26.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:24 pm

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is another session with some pretty intricate plotting, but it's brought all together well, and almost every character is utilized well, including Ed, who isn't a focal point, but she still adds a welcome background spice to the proceedings. I'd have to say this session has the best usage of her so far in the show, even, not counting her introduction episode.
I'm not so sure the episode needed the "Johnathan" character, another character from Jet's past when some generic goon from the Gate Corporation or someone else would've worked better, but oh well. The space colony of drifters is awesome and unconventional, I loved the periodic, cryptic shots of Hex playing chess in the darkened room, with the parrot, and plot's callback to the gate accident that destroyed Earth. I liked how Jet just asked them to love Hex alone at the end, and how Hex finally wins against Ed in the end, and then dies. Great episode.

Muzak: "Doggy Dog", "Pot City", and "Piano Black" are great fun, and I love the Middle Eastern-y "Kabutogani Kodai no Sakana".

Best line: "Ed would be unhappy if she lost her favorite chess partner, and we wouldn't want that to happen now, would we?."

Best moment: When Ed hisses at Faye :D

Final score: A-

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Hex's plan for revenge is really something awesome in terms of how by the time it takes effect, he's completely forgotten it and is just playing chess in cyberspace.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:09 pm

MadMan wrote:
Hex's plan for revenge is really something awesome in terms of how by the time it takes effect, he's completely forgotten it and is just playing chess in cyberspace.

"Are you playing again...?"

"Not again, Ed's still playing!"

"You mean... you played the same game for a week?!?"

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 am

Finally, another session dedicated to Faye! Been a while since we've had one of these. Anyway, we finally get some background on the femme fatale, and get to hear some of the background on how she got to be her, getting a peek at Faye before she distrusted everyone, a much more innocent, vulnerable Faye, and how she got to become what she is now. This session makes her bitchiness a lot more understandable, it was interesting to see her actually falling in love with somebody, and I liked Faye's desperation to learn about her true past, which you can really sympathize with, really humanizing her some more, which I think she needed. The doctor's hilarious, and Whitney's a cool sort-of shining knight, and later, a funny fat guy. Pretty good ep, but definitely doesn't measure up to the final session on Faye's past...

Muzak: "Flying Teapot" is kind of schmaltz-y, but still decent, "Bindy" is fun, and we get to hear that pretty piano melody version of "Adieu" again, plus "Piano Bar I" again. Good stuff.

Best line: "I fell in love with Sleeping Beauty."

Best moment: The montage showing Faye and Whitney dating.

Final score: B

SLEEPING BEAST

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 am

Now we have a session dealing with Jet's past this time, as we see his days as a cop, and how he messed up his arm, both great background. I love the great creepy opener, as well as how this session has one of the coolest villains in all Bebopdom, maybe even as good of a bad guy as Vicious is!I loved Udai's quiet, icy deadliness, the cool, Con Air-in-space plot, and how Jet and Fad had such good chemistry together; so sad one of them had to die, but that's the way it goes. The action climax is great, one of Bebop's best, the ending is beautiful, sad, tragic, and the session as a whole is seriously dark and bad-ass, just like I like 'em. Great episode.

Muzak: Creepy, tense, ambient "Space Time" fits Udai like a glove, "Cosmos" beautifully captures that old time-y 40's noir feel they were going for, "The Real Man" is kind of annoying, and feels like the trendy late-90's techno piece that it is. Dated in a bad way, and out of keeping the spirit of the rest of the series' music.

Best line: "Cheers... to the ship that charmed the devil."

Best moment: Can't. Pick.

Final score: A

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Smalley wrote:

Best moment: Can't. Pick.

Perhaps there are 22 best moments all strung together? :)

The Future Unreels

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:18 pm

I just remembered how I used Session 1 as a cornerstone on a presentation on Eastern Art vs Western Art back in College. I got an A and convinced my teacher to let me show the entire episode in class.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

I can't believe I forgot about Black Dog Serenade. I'm trying to recall what else happened in that episode, as its been a while. I do love that Cartoon Network still airs the show late night on Saturday every week.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Gort wrote:
True. And this is precisely what I believe about Firefly, too.

Cowboy Bebop, like a lot of anime shows of the 13 and 26 episode variety, and made to be self-contained series' of sorts. It wasn't a matter of the show not being "renewed" or anything. It just ran the course it set out to have.

Firefly was let go prematurely. Joss Whedon certainly knows how to handle multiple-season series and Firefly was supposed to be one of them. I felt that Firefly was most likely to improve on a second season, as much as I did enjoy the first. I saw things as 'just getting started', and really, they were.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 am

Trevor wrote:

Cowboy Bebop, like a lot of anime shows of the 13 and 26 episode variety, and made to be self-contained series' of sorts. It wasn't a matter of the show not being "renewed" or anything. It just ran the course it set out to have.

Firefly was let go prematurely. Joss Whedon certainly knows how to handle multiple-season series and Firefly was supposed to be one of them. I felt that Firefly was most likely to improve on a second season, as much as I did enjoy the first. I saw things as 'just getting started', and really, they were.

True, they were just getting started, but even with only 14 episodes produced they were beginning to tread over what was for them old ground. The Universe is a large place, the solar system that humanity was supposed to have migrated to is a large place. There is no need to recycle villains. With general baddies, like the Reivers, recurrence is fine. Specific bad guys, like the Russian guy and Mrs. Reynolds didn't need to show up again.

The Future Unreels

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 am

Gort wrote:
True, they were just getting started, but even with only 14 episodes produced they were beginning to tread over what was for them old ground. The Universe is a large place, the solar system that humanity was supposed to have migrated to is a large place. There is no need to recycle villains. With general baddies, like the Reivers, recurrence is fine. Specific bad guys, like the Russian guy and Mrs. Reynolds didn't need to show up again.

Season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is often held up as being among the two worst seasons of the series, along with the last. It has a lot of fun promise from the very start, as did Firefly, but didn't truly live up to it until the second season. Granted, Firefly's first (and only) season is better than Buffy's first, but do I think it would have been as high the series would have gotten? I would hope not. Serenity was a pretty exciting movie, throwing out there a lot of ideas that *would*/should have been expanded on in later seasons and to me it shows glimpses of what would have been some terrific future episodes/arcs.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:12 am

Trevor wrote:

Season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is often held up as being among the two worst seasons of the series, along with the last. It has a lot of fun promise from the very start, as did Firefly, but didn't truly live up to it until the second season. Granted, Firefly's first (and only) season is better than Buffy's first, but do I think it would have been as high the series would have gotten? I would hope not. Serenity was a pretty exciting movie, throwing out there a lot of ideas that *would*/should have been expanded on in later seasons and to me it shows glimpses of what would have been some terrific future episodes/arcs.

There is historical precedent for believing that a series might get better as it goes along (Star Trek the Next Generation, for example) but in general the longer a show runs the more like pablum it becomes. All homogenized and safe. Fans begin to exert "pressure" by expressing what they like and dislike, and the writers cave to their tastes. Fans are as bad as TV executives in working against TV series and the quality thereof.

Having said that, I stopped watching TV long before you were born. I have scarcely seen many of the top-rated TV shows of the last 30 years. For example, I have not seen a full episode of: Friends, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Lost, The Wire, Battlestar Galactica. I was too busy living my life to get involved in fictional worlds for a long time. Nowadays I see TV series from DVDs for the most part. And it's kind of nice to sit down with no commercial interruptions (pause is for pee breaks!) and not having to wait a week to see what the next episode will bring.

I watched the first two seasons of Malcom in the Middle from tapes as it was broadcast, and haven't even seen an entire episode from the subsequent seasons. The parts I saw now and again made me believe that the show had run its course after two years and I hadn't missed much. The snippets of Battlestar Galactica I saw didn't make me wish I'd seen the whole thing.

All this is to say:
Maybe I'm not the best guy to comment on whether Firefly might have gotten better. :D

The Future Unreels

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next