It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 2252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread 
Post Re: YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

A Comparison of Tom Brown's School Days (1940),Tom Brown's Schooldays (1951),Tom Brown's Schooldays (1971) & Tom Brown's Schooldays (2005)
At the Helm

-----1940-----

Robert Stevenson directed the 1940 film, for which he has a writing credit for additional dialogue. His directorial credits begin in 1932 with a film called Blonde Dream. He directed King Solomon's Mines (1937), Jayne Eyre (1943). From 1952 to 1957 most of his directorial work was for television series and episodes. Then he began a long career directing Walt Disney films. Johnny Tremain (1957) and Old Yeller (1957); Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959), The Absent Minded Professor (1961), oh, I forgot Kidnapped (1960), Mary Poppins (1964), The Love Bug (1968), The Shaggy D.A. (1976). I left out several, you probably guessed. Stevens directed three films early in his career that I have seen thanks to archive.org: Non-Stop New York (1937), Tom Brown's School Days (1940) and Dishonored Lady (1947). Of course, I have seen many of his Disney directing gigs. Stevenson died in 1986, with his last directorial credit for "Blackbeard's Ghost" Part 2 (1982) on Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. Stevens directed 27 episodes of that famous TV show, but many of them were for divided up movies that had been released theatrically. For example, Blackbeard's Ghost (1968) was a film for theaters before it was adapted for the television show. Thus, it is possible that Stevenson's last actual de novo directorial work was for The Shaggy D.A. Stevenson was nominated for awards, and won 3 honors, two of which were for Mary Poppins (1964).

-----1951-----

Gordon Parry (1908–1981) is not only the director of the 1951 second remake film, but he is the father-in-law of Peter Brook, who directed Lord of the Flies (1963). Parry's first directorial credit was affixed to the opening titles of Bond Street (1948). His final directorial credit was for five episodes of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1960) a TV series that I remember watching as a tween. Of course, with a total of 143 episodes over four seasons, the chances that I saw any of the five 1960 episodes that he directed are about 50:50. Maybe slimmer. Between 1935 and 1951 Gordon Parry's name appeared beside the word Producer in the credits. He produced Night Was Our Friend (1951) in the same year that he directed Tom Brown's Schooldays (1951).

-----1971-----

Gareth Davies was, and remains, an actor. From 1951 to 1963 his screen credits are all for acting in TV series and one theatrical film, ten roles in all. Beginning with two episodes of the TV series Compact (1964), Davies took to directing. He was successful enough at that trade that he garnered 64 directorial credits through 1997. The bulk of his direction was for series, with an occasional television movie in the mix. Apart from the Tom Brown series, those that I've heard of are Oliver Twist (1985) (which I have seen) for which he directed episode one, and two other series that I seem to recall being promoted on PBS in the States: Goodbye Mr. Chips (1984) and The Diary of Anne Frank (1987). Davies won an Emmy award for Bicentennial Minutes (1974), which he shared with the producers.

-----2005-----

David Moore directed five episodes of Peak Practice (1998) to begin his career as a television director. Since then he has accumulated 24 credits, although most of these are for multiple episodes within TV series. In 2005 and 2006 he had a trio of made-for-TV movies. Tom Brown's Schooldays (2005) was the first of these. Moore's most recent credits are for two episodes of Jamestown (2016). Notably, to a PBS viewer of old, he directed three episodes of The Forsyte Saga (2002). He also directed three Agatha Christie episodes: one for Poirot and two for Miss Marple. Moore's 2006 made-for-TV Sweeny Todd got a nomination for the Banff Television Festival.

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name of each subject, or the name plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the used images will no doubt be in the list of images returned.

ImageImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Non-Stop New York. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 'The New York Times review called it a "well-staged and moderately entertaining Class B melodrama" featuring "a transatlantic airplane as richly imaginative as a front-cover of Popular Science or a Buck Rogers space ship."'

Night Was Our Friend. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. A film produced by the director of the 1951 Tom Brown's Schooldays movie. 'The film was made by ACT Films as a B Movie intended to be released on the lower-half of a double bill. Based on a play by Michael Pertwee the film was made at the Viking Studios in Kensington. The film's sets were designed by art director Duncan Sutherland. It was considered above average for a B film, and was shown on the Odeon circuit of cinemas and also given a release in the United States.'

Oliver Twist (1985 TV serial). From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 'Oliver Twist is a 1985 BBC TV serial. It was directed by Gareth Davies, and adapted by Alexander Baron from the novel by Charles Dickens. It follows the book more closely than any of the other film adaptions.'

The Forsyte Saga (2002 miniseries). From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. One of the directors was David Moore, who directed the 2005 Tom Brown TV movie. 'In 2002, the first two books and the first interlude of John Galsworthy's trilogy The Forsyte Saga were adapted by Granada Television for the ITV network. Additional funding for this production was provided by American PBS station WGBH, the 1967 BBC version having been a success on PBS in the early 1970s.'

in progress:
BIC Bicycle Thieves/Beijing Bicycle Es1, 4 Rv1 DP
BRH Battle Royale/Hunger Games Es1 4 Sc Rv1 2
BRN Tom Brown's Schooldays Es 1 2 3 4 Sc Di Mu Rv1 2
DRB Devil's Backbone/Dorm Es1 2 Rv1 2 Sc
HEL Mayor of Hell/Crime School/Hell's Kitchen DP Rv1 Es1
PAI Pinocchio/A. I. Es2 Rv1 DP Mu
SKN Victim/Skin I Live In Es1 3 Di Rv1 2
TNS Tingler/Creeps/Slither Rv1 Rv2 Rv3 Es1 Sc SFX
TZN Tarzan of the Apes/Tarzan the Ape Man/Greystoke Sc Di Rv1 2 3 Es1 2 3 4

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:02 pm
Post Re: YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

Not Quite a Remake Rematch of The Tingler (1959), Night of the Creeps (1986) & Slither (2006)
The Writers

Robb White (1909–1990) written by. Novelist White has only 15 writing credits at IMDb, but, hell, that's 15 more than I have. He worked with William Castle on five movies. He has posthumous credits for remakes of three and a sequel to one of those films. He wrote a novel, Deathwatch, that was turned into a TV movie Savages (1974), and made again as Beyond the Reach (2014) which gives White one more posthumous credit. Robb White was born in the Philippines in 1909, and died in an automobile accident in 1990 in Santa Barbara California. Along the way White had three kids, two wives, had a walk-on part in the first Castle film, and associate-produced the last one. Four screen writing credits refer to books he wrote. The rest are for screenplays that he penned. Macabre (1958), House on Haunted Hill (1959) The Tingler (1959) and 13 Ghosts (1960) are his best-known screen works. This gives him posthumous story or character creation credits for House on Haunted Hill (1999), Thir13en Ghosts (2001) and Return to House on Haunted Hill (video, 2007).

Fred Dekker written by (and directed by). This man has been all over the place. He was born in 1959 in San Francisco, and still lives in California, so we're not talking geographically all over the place. He has directed, written and produced a small number of films and television series. He wrote the story for House (1985). He wrote and directed Night of the Creeps (1986) and co-wrote and directed The Monster Squad (1987). These two became cult films. He is quoted as having said, "You never set out to make a cult movie." Dekker wrote and directed RoboCop 3 (1993), reputed to be bad, I haven't seen it, but it was playing once when I walked through the living room of this house as an out-of-town guest when my kids and their cousin were young. I didn't even know that until I skimmed the IMDb synopsis of the movie. Then Dekker wrote 4 episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise. Meanwhile he was the consulting producer for 21 episodes of Enterprise in 2001 and 2002. He wrote the screenplay for The Predator (2018) which is currently in post-production.

James Gunn written by, is the writer for Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Vol 2. (2017) and Vol 3. (announced). But at one time he was writing movies like Slither (2006). Once associated with Troma Productions, he broke out into more mainstream work with Slither. But before he did that, he was the uncredited writer of Thir13en Ghosts (2001), credited for Scooby Doo (2002), Dawn of the Dead (2004), and, even earlier, Tromeo and Juliet (1996), his first writer credit. Whether you consider any of these worthwhile films or not is up to you. He is an admirer of early horror films, and wanted to make a 1980s horror movie. So he wrote and directed Slither. Gunn has a total of 27 writing credits at IMDb, alongside 16 producer credits and 13 director credits. Gunn even has 8 soundtrack credits as writer of some of the songs in his films. I guess we'll see how many Guardians of the Galaxy films he can make, eh?

ImageImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

'The Lion's Paw' by Robb White holds its grip on old Florida from Tampa Bay Times, by Jeff Klinkenberg, Times Staff Writer Friday, November 7, 2008 12:08pm. Source of Photo of Robb White. 'He was born on a remote island near the Philippines in 1909. His parents were Episcopal missionaries. His friends, at least as he described them, sounded like cannibals. Growing up wild, he spent time in North Carolina, Virginia and Thomasville, a small Georgia town just across the Florida border. At 13 he felt destined to be a writer; somehow he ended up at the U.S. Naval Academy.'

in progress:
BIC Bicycle Thieves/Beijing Bicycle Es1, 4 Rv1 DP
BRH Battle Royale/Hunger Games Es1 4 Sc Rv1 2
BRN Tom Brown's Schooldays Es 1 2 3 4 Sc Di Mu Rv1 2
DRB Devil's Backbone/Dorm Es1 2 Rv1 2 Sc
HEL Mayor of Hell/Crime School/Hell's Kitchen DP Rv1 Es1
PAI Pinocchio/A. I. Es2 Rv1 DP Mu
SKN Victim/Skin I Live In Es1 3 Di Rv1 2
TNS Tingler/Creeps/Slither Rv1 Rv2 Rv3 Es1 Sc SFX
TZN Tarzan of the Apes/Tarzan the Ape Man/Greystoke Sc Di Rv1 2 3 Es1 2 3 4

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com