It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread 
Post Re: YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

A Comparison of Tom Brown's School Days (1940),Tom Brown's Schooldays (1951),Tom Brown's Schooldays (1971) & Tom Brown's Schooldays (2005)
At the Helm

-----1940-----

Robert Stevenson directed the 1940 film, for which he has a writing credit for additional dialogue. His directorial credits begin in 1932 with a film called Blonde Dream. He directed King Solomon's Mines (1937), Jayne Eyre (1943). From 1952 to 1957 most of his directorial work was for television series and episodes. Then he began a long career directing Walt Disney films. Johnny Tremain (1957) and Old Yeller (1957); Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959), The Absent Minded Professor (1961), oh, I forgot Kidnapped (1960), Mary Poppins (1964), The Love Bug (1968), The Shaggy D.A. (1976). I left out several, you probably guessed. Stevens directed three films early in his career that I have seen thanks to archive.org: Non-Stop New York (1937), Tom Brown's School Days (1940) and Dishonored Lady (1947). Of course, I have seen many of his Disney directing gigs. Stevenson died in 1986, with his last directorial credit for "Blackbeard's Ghost" Part 2 (1982) on Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. Stevens directed 27 episodes of that famous TV show, but many of them were for divided up movies that had been released theatrically. For example, Blackbeard's Ghost (1968) was a film for theaters before it was adapted for the television show. Thus, it is possible that Stevenson's last actual de novo directorial work was for The Shaggy D.A. Stevenson was nominated for awards, and won 3 honors, two of which were for Mary Poppins (1964).

-----1951-----

Gordon Parry (1908–1981) is not only the director of the 1951 second remake film, but he is the father-in-law of Peter Brook, who directed Lord of the Flies (1963). Parry's first directorial credit was affixed to the opening titles of Bond Street (1948). His final directorial credit was for five episodes of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1960) a TV series that I remember watching as a tween. Of course, with a total of 143 episodes over four seasons, the chances that I saw any of the five 1960 episodes that he directed are about 50:50. Maybe slimmer. Between 1935 and 1951 Gordon Parry's name appeared beside the word Producer in the credits. He produced Night Was Our Friend (1951) in the same year that he directed Tom Brown's Schooldays (1951).

-----1971-----

Gareth Davies was, and remains, an actor. From 1951 to 1963 his screen credits are all for acting in TV series and one theatrical film, ten roles in all. Beginning with two episodes of the TV series Compact (1964), Davies took to directing. He was successful enough at that trade that he garnered 64 directorial credits through 1997. The bulk of his direction was for series, with an occasional television movie in the mix. Apart from the Tom Brown series, those that I've heard of are Oliver Twist (1985) (which I have seen) for which he directed episode one, and two other series that I seem to recall being promoted on PBS in the States: Goodbye Mr. Chips (1984) and The Diary of Anne Frank (1987). Davies won an Emmy award for Bicentennial Minutes (1974), which he shared with the producers.

-----2005-----

David Moore directed five episodes of Peak Practice (1998) to begin his career as a television director. Since then he has accumulated 24 credits, although most of these are for multiple episodes within TV series. In 2005 and 2006 he had a trio of made-for-TV movies. Tom Brown's Schooldays (2005) was the first of these. Moore's most recent credits are for two episodes of Jamestown (2016). Notably, to a PBS viewer of old, he directed three episodes of The Forsyte Saga (2002). He also directed three Agatha Christie episodes: one for Poirot and two for Miss Marple. Moore's 2006 made-for-TV Sweeny Todd got a nomination for the Banff Television Festival.

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name of each subject, or the name plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the used images will no doubt be in the list of images returned.

ImageImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Non-Stop New York. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 'The New York Times review called it a "well-staged and moderately entertaining Class B melodrama" featuring "a transatlantic airplane as richly imaginative as a front-cover of Popular Science or a Buck Rogers space ship."'

Night Was Our Friend. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. A film produced by the director of the 1951 Tom Brown's Schooldays movie. 'The film was made by ACT Films as a B Movie intended to be released on the lower-half of a double bill. Based on a play by Michael Pertwee the film was made at the Viking Studios in Kensington. The film's sets were designed by art director Duncan Sutherland. It was considered above average for a B film, and was shown on the Odeon circuit of cinemas and also given a release in the United States.'

Oliver Twist (1985 TV serial). From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 'Oliver Twist is a 1985 BBC TV serial. It was directed by Gareth Davies, and adapted by Alexander Baron from the novel by Charles Dickens. It follows the book more closely than any of the other film adaptions.'

The Forsyte Saga (2002 miniseries). From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. One of the directors was David Moore, who directed the 2005 Tom Brown TV movie. 'In 2002, the first two books and the first interlude of John Galsworthy's trilogy The Forsyte Saga were adapted by Granada Television for the ITV network. Additional funding for this production was provided by American PBS station WGBH, the 1967 BBC version having been a success on PBS in the early 1970s.'

in progress: 57 to go
BIC Bicycle Thieves/Beijing Bicycle Es1, 4 Rv1 2 DP Ed
BRH Battle Royale/Hunger Games Es1 3 4 Sc Rv1 2
BRN Tom Brown's Schooldays Es 1 2 3 4 Sc Di DP SFX Mu De Rv1 2
DRB Devil's Backbone/Dorm Es1 2 Rv1 2 Sc
HEL Mayor of Hell/Crime School/Hell's Kitchen DP Sc Rv1 Es1
PAI Pinocchio/A. I. Es2 Rv1 DP Mu
SKN Victim/Skin I Live In Es1 2 3 Di Rv1 2
TNS Tingler/Creeps/Slither Rv1 Rv2 Rv3 Es1 3 Sc SFX De Di Mu
TZN Tarzan of the Apes/Tarzan the Ape Man/Greystoke Sc Di DP SFX De Mu Rv1 2 3 Es1 2 3 4 5 7

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Not Quite a Remake Rematch of The Tingler (1959), Night of the Creeps (1986) & Slither (2006)
The Writers

Robb White (1909–1990) written by. Novelist White has only 15 writing credits at IMDb, but, hell, that's 15 more than I have. He worked with William Castle on five movies. He has posthumous credits for remakes of three and a sequel to one of those films. He wrote a novel, Deathwatch, that was turned into a TV movie Savages (1974), and made again as Beyond the Reach (2014) which gives White one more posthumous credit. Robb White was born in the Philippines in 1909, and died in an automobile accident in 1990 in Santa Barbara California. Along the way White had three kids, two wives, had a walk-on part in the first Castle film, and associate-produced the last one. Four screen writing credits refer to books he wrote. The rest are for screenplays that he penned. Macabre (1958), House on Haunted Hill (1959) The Tingler (1959) and 13 Ghosts (1960) are his best-known screen works. This gives him posthumous story or character creation credits for House on Haunted Hill (1999), Thir13en Ghosts (2001) and Return to House on Haunted Hill (video, 2007).

Fred Dekker written by (and directed by). This man has been all over the place. He was born in 1959 in San Francisco, and still lives in California, so we're not talking geographically all over the place. He has directed, written and produced a small number of films and television series. He wrote the story for House (1985). He wrote and directed Night of the Creeps (1986) and co-wrote and directed The Monster Squad (1987). These two became cult films. He is quoted as having said, "You never set out to make a cult movie." Dekker wrote and directed RoboCop 3 (1993), reputed to be bad, I haven't seen it, but it was playing once when I walked through the living room of this house as an out-of-town guest when my kids and their cousin were young. I didn't even know that until I skimmed the IMDb synopsis of the movie. Then Dekker wrote 4 episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise. Meanwhile he was the consulting producer for 21 episodes of Enterprise in 2001 and 2002. He wrote the screenplay for The Predator (2018) which is currently in post-production.

James Gunn written by, is the writer for Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Vol 2. (2017) and Vol 3. (announced). But at one time he was writing movies like Slither (2006). Once associated with Troma Productions, he broke out into more mainstream work with Slither. But before he did that, he was the uncredited writer of Thir13en Ghosts (2001), credited for Scooby Doo (2002), Dawn of the Dead (2004), and, even earlier, Tromeo and Juliet (1996), his first writer credit. Whether you consider any of these worthwhile films or not is up to you. He is an admirer of early horror films, and wanted to make a 1980s horror movie. So he wrote and directed Slither. Gunn has a total of 27 writing credits at IMDb, alongside 16 producer credits and 13 director credits. Gunn even has 8 soundtrack credits as writer of some of the songs in his films. I guess we'll see how many Guardians of the Galaxy films he can make, eh?

'The Lion's Paw' by Robb White holds its grip on old Florida from Tampa Bay Times, by Jeff Klinkenberg, Times Staff Writer Friday, November 7, 2008 12:08pm. Source of Photo of Robb White. 'He was born on a remote island near the Philippines in 1909. His parents were Episcopal missionaries. His friends, at least as he described them, sounded like cannibals. Growing up wild, he spent time in North Carolina, Virginia and Thomasville, a small Georgia town just across the Florida border. At 13 he felt destined to be a writer; somehow he ended up at the U.S. Naval Academy.'

TZN Tarzan of the Apes/Tarzan the Ape Man/Greystoke Sc Di DP SFX De Mu Rv1 2 3 Es1 2 3 4 5 7

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 am

Tech posts continue. They are relatively quick, and there are scores of them left to post.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:48 am

A Comparison of Tom Brown's School Days (1940),Tom Brown's Schooldays (1951),Tom Brown's Schooldays (1971) & Tom Brown's Schooldays (2005)
Behind the Lens

-----1940-----

Nicholas Musuraca (1892–1975) was nominated for the Best Cinematography, Black-and-White Oscar in 1949, for his work on I Remember Mama (1948). Was that the highlight of his long career? The Virgin Queen (1923) was his first project to light and shoot. By the time he shot three episodes of F Troop (TV, 1966) he had 225 cinematography credits as listed at IMDb. That's 43 years at an average rate of 5.2 titles per year. Musuraca's television work began with 13 episodes of The Lone Wolf (TV, 1954-1955). After that time he worked in both features and television. Many TV shows were originated on film as late as the 1990s, and almost all dramatic and comedy series made during Nick Musuraca's career were filmed. By 1966, when he retired, his footage would still have been edited in the same way as a film would be edited; only much faster. By the year of his death, 1975, his successors would still be shooting film, but some programs were edited as video, transferred from the film negative to 2" videotape, and then assembled electronically. His work was mostly on B pictures. IMDb shows his most notable film features to be Out of the Past (1947), The Spiral Staircase (1946) and Cat People (1942). I've seen the earliest of those.

-----1951-----

C.M. Pennington-Richards (1911–2005) was a cinematographer from the time of his work on a short film, William Tindale (1937) through the days of The Reluctant Saint (1962). But in 1953 he also directed a film, The Horse's Mouth. For a few years he worked in both areas, but in 1958 and after, Pennington-Richards was exclusively a film director. The same year as he lensed the Tom Brown film, he photographed a well-known adaptation of A Christmas Carol (1951), which I grew up watching at holiday time on television. Pennington-Richards also ventured into the general arena of another of these Rematches when he directed a Gordon Scott-starring Tarzan and the Lost Safari (1957), which I also watched on TV in my early teens.

-----1971-----

John Baker has two categories of credits listed at IMDb. He has 19 cinematographer credits, which do not include this TV series, and 37 camera and electrical departments credits, into which his work on the 1971 television series does fall. Even though the credit reads "film camera - 1 episode" there is film camera work on all five episodes, and no other credit is given. Apart from the BBC series, the only other work by Baker that I know I have seen, is for his assistant camera work on Tarzan and the Jungle Boy (1968) which I acquired as an adjunct to the Tarzan Remake Rematch in this Round, and his film camera operation in Black-Adder II (1986). Baker worked on other series and shows that I've heard of, such as Doctor Who (21 episodes 1971-1984, and 8 episodes 1967-1983), Sherlock Holmes (2 episodes 1966), and The Three Musketeers (mini-series 1966). Many of these turned up on PBS shows, of course.

-----2005-----

Ryszard Lenczewski was born in Poland in 1948, and began working in films as cinematographer in 1974. It looks like his first theatrical feature was Bestia (1979), and over the course of his career so far, he has received 31 nominations for awards, for which he won 16 times. His work on Ida (2013) garnered an Oscar nom in 2015. He is also known for My Summer of Love (2004), Intermission (2003), the Anna Karenina TV mini-series (2000), and Margaret (2011). To date, Lenczewski has 55 cinematography credits in his IMDb listing. Interestingly, he has two credits for Legend of the White Horse (1987), the second being for special effects. So far, the Tom Brown TV film is the only example of his work I have seen.

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name of each subject, or the name plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the images used will no doubt be in the list of images returned.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:48 am

There are a mere 2.5 score tech posts left to go.

Stop crying.

All told there are a paltry 85 scheduled posts in order to finish the Round Four Rematches.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:58 am

If you're going to be snide about it, hand-puppet, I'll just leave it to you to finish the whole damned thing! 8-)

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 am

Who are you calling hand-puppet!??!?

Oh. I see.

:oops:

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:00 am

SieMeineNameGenommenHaben wieder gewinnt! 8-) 8-)

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:06 am

SFX

-----1940-----

Vernon L. Walker (1894–1948) worked in the studio system, which allowed him to generate 223 special effects credits in a career that lasted from 1932 to 1948. He also has 71 credits for cinematography that range from 1920 to 1936. Walker created special effects for The Most Dangerous Game (1932) to start the second phase of his Hollywood career. In the next year he would photograph King Kong, The Druggist's Dilemma and The Son of Kong (all 1933) and create special photographic effects for six films, including Flying Down to Rio (1933). In 1939 and 1940 his special effects would grace the silver screen as part of the entertainment in 42 films, including Gunga Din (1939), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939), Tom Brown's School Days (1940) and Swiss Family Robinson (1940) from the same production company, Dance, Girl, Dance (1940) and Little Men (1940). He would also work on Notorious (1946) and Sinbad the Sailor (1947). His last feature would be Variety Time (1948) released in the same year in which Walker died at age 53. It would be difficult to know which of his films was most famous. Perhaps Citizen Kane (1941), possibly one of the Hitchcock films, maybe The Bells of St. Mary's (1945). He was nominated by the AMPAS four times for special effects Oscars, but never took home a statue.

-----1951-----

no person credited for special effects.

-----1971-----

no person credited for special effects.

-----2005-----

Chris Brett's three special visual effects credits are all from 2005. His television career as chronicled by IMDb began in 1996 and ended in 2005. Perhaps he got a better offer?

Tony Fisher has 2 visual effects credits (one of which is for the 2005 Tom Brown film) and 14 art department credits, all of which are for graphic design. Interestingly, Top of the Pops (1964) for which he was a graphic designer in 2004, is the man's earliest TV credit. His latest is for an episode of Dalziel and Pascoe in 2007. The two visual effects credits are from 2002 and 2005, so perhaps he was attempting to change gears.

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name of each subject, or the name plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the used images will no doubt be in the list of images returned.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:24 am

Back to swinging through the rainforest.

Tarzan generated the most essay ideas, and just below you will find essay number 5.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:58 am

A Comparison of Tarzan of the Apes (1918), Tarzan the Ape Man (1932) and Greystoke (1983)

Thoughts on the Evolution of the Lord of the Apes

This essay may seem a lot like Essay 2, but it grew out of a different idea, although part of it was originally part of Essay 2! I cut those parts out and moved them to this essay. I hope it doesn't seem like a completely pointless duplication.

The original Tarzan from the novels learns to speak French first, and then English (with a touch of a French accent, by the way). However, before he learns to speak (and read) French, he can silently read English...he simply doesn't know the sounds. If that seems odd or impossible to you, remember that Helen Keller learned to read and write English without ever seeing or hearing English. She even learned to speak, but not with normal sounding speech...something that she regretted. The Tarzan character did eventually learn to speak human language.

The 1918 Tarzan could not only speak English, he could write it. And he didn't wear a mere loin cloth. I don't know what you'd call the thing that boy Tarzan wears in the 1918 film. It's kind of like a short kilt made from a pelt. Or maybe grass? Or a combination? Adult Tarzan wears a furry pelt loincloth and carries a rope over his shoulder, so that it appears to be a sash. But the very first illustration of Tarzan shows him wearing something like a grass skirt.

A 1928 15-chapter serial movie film shows Frank Merrill as the Lord of the Apes wearing what looks like an over-the-shoulder leopard-pelt tunic, with leopard-skin headband, and slippers. He appeared this way in Tarzan the Mighty (1928), and Tarzan the Tiger (1929).

Tarzan got a thin leather loincloth in the 1932 movie. After Weissmuller wore a fur-less loincloth, nearly every subsequent film depiction of Tarzan has him dressed the same. Films and television shows followed suit for decades. The March 19, 1938 Argosy Magazine with Tarzan on the cover, shows him in a leopard skin breech cloth.

The novel version of Tarzan (his ape-language name for 'hairless ape') first learns to speak the language of the ape tribe in which he lives. He never forgets how to do this. In some of the movies the Ape Man can understand, but does not speak ape language. In others he does speak with his ape friends. In the 1983 film, Greystoke, Tarzan returns to Scotland, where he amazes and frightens his neighbors by imitating the sounds of jungle denizens, notably a lion at one point. Of course, the filmmakers dubbed in a real lion's roar, which kind of seems totally WTF when you watch the movie. One of the film's larger drawbacks.

In 1959, in Tarzan's Greatest Adventure Tarzan regained his command of the English language under Sy Weintraub, and all the more recent Tarzan films have had a well-spoken King of the Jungle. The first widely-known Tarzan to speak correct English after the Warner Tarzan films was Ron Ely on television in the late 1960's. The series was shot in Brazil, and later Mexico. Tarzan's sidekick Jai is played by Manuel Padilla, Jr. Is this show set in South America or Africa? The television show was well-enough received, despite many (including a teenage YTMN) who criticized Tarzan for speaking correctly. This is how intense the legacy of the Weissmuller films was for a long time. For most people the broken English of the film supplanted Burroughs' eloquent King of the Jungle as "authentic Tarzan." Why?

Most people don't read the books. Remember that in America where one of the earliest, most pervasive educational systems taught the greatest percentage of the population to read...most people still didn't read books. They listened to the radio or went to see movies or gladiatorial events for entertainment. Honestly, I saw dozens of Tarzan movies before I ever read any of Burroughs' books. I've still read only three of them.

In Tarzan: the Legend Lives (2013), the European CGI Tarzan remembers his human language, but becomes accustomed to using it again only slowly, after meeting Jane. Perhaps using his first halting sentences after meeting her is an homage to the 1932 WB Tarzan. As for attire, he sports the furless loincloth.

Would a boy raised by apes in the jungle truly forget his native tongue? I don't think he would entirely, but I have some friends who are Turkish, who, after living a long time in America, and using English most of the time, have to stop and think in order to remember the Turkish for rarer concepts and items. I once met a woman who moved to the US as a second-grader, and who claimed to have forgotten all the German she ever knew. Her immigrant parents wanted to speak only English. When I used my university German on her, she didn't seem to comprehend even the simplest sentences, although she may have been pretending for all I know. I guess struggling to resurrect a long-unspoken language is plausible. What I think is that the kid in the 2013 film would continue to think in English, and would therefore not forget the language, or have any trouble speaking it to Jane Porter, even after years.

In Tarzan and the Lost City (1998), Caspar Van Dien's Tarzan not only remembers his English, he doesn't wear a loincloth until the very end of the film. He swings tree to tree clad in the remnants of his khaki trousers for most of the movie. This was the first Tarzan film I ever saw that didn't feature the King of the Jungle clad in a breech-cloth alone. If you think about it, swinging on vines while wearing tattered khaki shorts really says "I dwell between civilization and the wild jungle."

Last year, a new Tarzan film came out, The Legend of Tarzan (2016), but it took me several months to get around to watching it via Netflix's dvd.com. I mentioned it in the Racism post in this Rematch, before I actually set eyes on the film. In it, the Fifth Earl of Greystoke, John Clayton III is married to Jane (who also grew up in the Congo, and met Tarzan when he was 18), and does not intend to return to Africa. By the way, Tarzan and Jane Porter get married at the end of Tarzan Returns, ERB's second Tarzan of the Apes novel. As it turns out, in this telling, Tarzan grew up in the Congo, specifically the part that the king of Belgium later picked out. Many reviews of the film point out the racism, but after seeing it I have to point out that the film tries to obviate the inherent racism in the Tarzan idea (a white Lord of the Apes) by including a former Indian fighter played by Samuel L. Jackson. This doesn't entirely do what it intends to, but it is an effort. This Tarzan doesn't like being called by that name, and he wears trousers rather than a loincloth. In fact, this is the only live action Tarzan film I ever saw that never has Tarzan in a loincloth.

Netflix has recently rolled out Tarzan and Jane (2016), a minimally-animated 3D CGI program that features a supernatural teenage Tarzan. It is aimed at the very young, those who may not have seen Tarzan in any other guise. This Tarzan can sprout claws on hands and feet, has the vision of a cat, and the strength of a gorilla! He wears trousers when he is in the jungle, and school uniforms when he is in London. He chases a poacher back and forth between Africa and England. Tarzan is always assisted by Jane Porter, whose mother is an international movie star.

The character has evolved in his screen appearances and mannerisms over the decades since 1918. It's similar to the way Batman has changed, but the changes in Tarzan are considerably greater. So, in this recent iteration Tarzan evolves into a supernatural superhero. If kids see this one first, will this be their favorite Tarzan for life? Who knows?

As we asked in Essay 2, "Is Tarzan like Batman, in that you prefer whichever Tarzan you meet first as the most authentic?" Maybe not. I don't have a favorite, but when I was a boy it seemed like it would be cool as snot to live in the jungle and know all the animals and be able to talk to them. I saw several actors playing Tarzan in films from different eras. So, the concept was what I liked. Your mileage will vary.

The character long ago evolved from print and cinema into the realm of toys. Some of them are quite elaborate (and costly), the kind you would tell your kids, "That's just to look at, not to touch!" A couple of links to pix of such toys exist below.

Category:Tarzan films. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

HELEN KELLER SPEAKS OUT. From Youtube. "Helen Keller explains about her Greatest Disappointment in life....that she could not speak normally."

van dien tarzan lost city. Google image search result.

Picture of Ron Ely (Tarzan). with Manuel Padilla, Jr. (Jai) from the 1966 TV series.

Why Anyone Who Loved Disney's 'Tarzan' Should Check Out Netflix's 'Tarzan & Jane' from Bustle.com. 'Yet, the biggest reason to watch Tarzan and Jane if you like Tarzan is for Jane. The teenager version of Jane is considered Tarzan's equal in the series, which might actually be an improvement on the Disney movie. There's also an improvement in terms of representation since the series' Jane is black. Tarzan and Jane's Jane will not only challenge and intrigue Tarzan like Minnie Driver's version did, but she is powerful and strong in her own right.'

1/4 Scale Tarzan Primal Rage Statue By ARH Studios, Inc. Only $559.00 from BigBadToyStore.com.

Tarzan Figures and other neat stuff! from Mikey's Action Figures on blogspot.com. 'As far as I can tell, from 1912 to the 1960s the only Tarzan figures that were produced were small one piece moulded figures that were often left unpainted. In 1966 Banner produced a wind-up tin toy figure of Tarzan.'

Frank Merrill "The Hercules of the Screen" from ERBzine.com. "Reprinted without editing from The Jasoomian 1973." Source of Frank Merrill photo as Tarzan.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:58 am

I finally finished the grout work, well, re-grouting, for the hall bathroom. Finished yesterday at 5:30 pm. I had expected to be done a week earlier on 21 June, the day I started.

Complications. And this house is only 35 years old!

Found another Rematch possibility last night when I watched Ithaca (2015). It is a remake of the 1943 film The Human Comedy, and is based on a William Saroyan novel by the same title that he wrote from his screenplay when he was removed form the film project in 1942. Novel was published before film was released. Meg Ryan directed a remake 72 years later.

But this won't be part of any Round Five. after I complete Round Four any future Rematches will just occur whenever I get the urge.

A tech post for Tingler, Creeps and Slither appears below.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:24 am

Not Quite a Remake Rematch of The Tingler (1959), Night of the Creeps (1986) & Slither (2006)
Soundtracks

Von Dexter (1912–1996) was the composer for four of William Castle's movies: The Tingler (1959), House on Haunted Hill (1959), 13 Ghosts (1960) and Mr. Sardonicus (1961). He is primarily known for that work. His IMDb biography states that he suffered from a hand condition that caused stiffening of the fingers soon after, and he and his wife started a music publishing business in Reinbeck, Iowa. His first composer credit was for 39 episodes of the TV series Dangerous Assignment (1952). Back then, 39 episodes was a single season!

Barry De Vorzon created the soundtrack for R.P.M. (1970), and Bless the Beasts & Children (1971) and has accumulated a total of 39 composer credits since then. His most recent composer credit appears on Legion (2016), but he wrote the theme for Boss Baby (2017), so he's apparently still working, or composed some recyclable music earlier in his career. De Vorzon was born in 1934, so his credits list contains many TV shows that you'd have to be my age to remember, right on up to modern day productions. He composed "Nadia's Theme" for an Olympics telecast, and the cut has been used in many productions since. His compositions sometimes take on a life of their own, and get cloned into subsequent productions, which explains his 51 soundtrack credits at IMDb. There is a long, unexplained gap between his composer credits for Night of the Creeps (1986), The Exorcist III (1990) and Legion (2016).

Tyler Bates has created and performed music for a large number of movies. IMDb lists 90 composer credits, alongside 26 for soundtrack, and 26 for music department. He has worked on an amazing number of film and TV soundtracks, and there is overlap among those three categories of credits. Bates' earliest composition credits are for Blue Flame (1993) and Deep Down (1994). Since then he has worked on the obscure title or two, but increasingly his work vibrates from the sound reproducers at some very high-profile movies. Among his composer credits lurk titles like 300 (2006), Watchmen (2009), Sucker Punch (2011), Californication (TV, 2007-2014), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), John Wick (2014) and the sequels for the last two. Bates has a band with big-selling albums and tracks. Among his notable successes is the soundtrack for 300 (2006) which the IMDb bio page claims has sold over 300,000 copies since its release.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:24 am

An essay. Second post in one day! It saves a lot of time to not include a bunch of links. :D

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:07 am

Not Quite a Remake Rematch between
Battle Royale (2000) and The Hunger Games (2012)

Battle Royale vs. The Hunger Games

Battle Royale was planned as a movie experience that would undoubtedly make it an R-rated film when released in the US. The producers of The Hunger Games (PG-13) wanted a film that was more family friendly, despite having the same basic theme of Battle Royale: that teenagers are forced to hunt and kill other teenagers by a totalitarian government.

Imagine that! A film that shows teen on teen murder is rated PG-13. If it showed discretely filmed scenes of teen on teen sex, it would be rated R, no doubt.

Of the two films, The Hunger Games is more concerned with the impact that this practice has on the families of those chosen as “Tributes” in the government-sponsored annual Hunger Games. The film of Battle Royale isn't pushed up so close to the characters. We do see something of Kenji’s past in Battle Royale (his father’s death), but for the most part we are hovering above the action, and exist in the same moment with the middle-schoolers who have been randomly selected to be the fodder for this year’s games. We know nothing more than they do.

In terms of numbers massacred, The Hunger Games film halves the total number of dead that we see in Battle Royale. That allows the producers to let us get to know some of the kids better. The 2012 film also incorporates the idea of the government training the tributes, possibly because kids better prepared to defend themselves provide a better entertainment experience for the viewers Panem-wide.

These tonal differences stem from the source novels, in fact. Suzanne Collins spends a great deal of time building the characters who will interact for three novels. Koushun Takami is more focused on the nitty-gritty of the exercise. Very few paragraphs are spent filling in the past for even the most prominent characters. Most of the focus is on what is happening. The film reproduces this point of view. This is not to say that Takami's novel doesn't take us inside the characters the way a novel is supposed to do. It is only to say that he doesn't spend as much time setting up past experiences when he is inside the characters as Collins does in her Hunger Games novels. (Or, at least that's how I recall it. It's been two years since I read the Takami, and six years since I read the Collins trilogy.)

When I watch The Hunger Games (2012) it always astonishes me how well the producers do at keeping the violence tamped down, given that it is murder, after all. I'm not sure that's all that good a practice, but I'm pretty certain that pre-teen and teenage people can still abstract the "reality" of all this in their imaginations. Just as we adults can. The bloodbath in Battle Royale is kind of the whole point, so it isn't subverted, and can get to be a touch overwhelming by the end of the movie.

In common, possibly, both novels are "anti-war" novels, couching the phenomenon of war in a different format so that it is easier to see that governments overstep their moral bounds when they require killing to be done by their citizens. Killing is killing, murder is murder, no matter what you call it. How can it be moral to do when an abstract entity commands it, and wrong when it's your idea to get rid of an annoying or inconvenient individual? To my mind it is clearly always wrong, and, although practically it might seem to become necessary at times, that doesn't make it right.

A little personal opinion (steps onto soapbox):
As for capital punishment, I have read accounts of wronged people in certain countries being required to declare personally that an execution must be carried out, and tell the perpetrator to his or her face at the place and time of execution, allowing the executioner to proceed with the killing...or to offer forgiveness in that moment, stopping it.

I recommend that approach for the United States of America, with an added step. If you are so certain that justice will be served by the death of the person(s) who killed your loved one, then you must by law be the person who kills the convict by moving a lever with your own hands. And that's the only form of capital punishment I could agree with. Government would set everything up, but they would not act in my name to do something I revile. It would instead, be an individual's immoral choice to fight one wrong with another, and carry out the jury sentence of death...or to forgive, and the person could serve a life sentence for his/her misdeeds. I'm sure there are US citizens who would move that lever, and be damned proud of their "bravery." But I am equally certain that they are the minority of wronged individuals, and they would have no government to hide behind in the long, long nights after they did the same thing that the perp had done...if they chose to go ahead with it. I think a lot of death sentences would be commuted to life in prison without parole by the victim's stand-in, in that moment of truth.

There are moments when I wish a certain person to be dead. But if it was left up to me to make them dead, it would not happen. Although my college deferment lasted beyond the end of the draft, so I was safe from serving in the war, I was an objector during the Vietnam war, not because I was afraid to be killed, but because I was adamant that I would not kill. In such a scenario as that in either movie, I'd be an early fatality!
Then, again, I suppose a lot of readers of all ages are drawn to these novels just because they want to read about kids slaughtering other kids. (sigh)

So what drew me to it? What drew you to it?

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:07 am

I've been working on some very long essays for Tarzan and Tom Brown. But I decided to finish this very short essay that I wrote for TNS.

In the meantime, I watched the 3D conversion of Jurassic Park (1995), which is pretty well done. There are a few cases of difficulty that the conversion lab never did totally conquer. By and large the 3D looks fairly natural. Sometimes a rather questionable choice was made concerning spatial placement on the Z axis.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:24 pm

The Tingler (1959), Night of the Creeps (1986) and Slither (2006)

Substances

The fraternity crowd in Night of the Creeps uses beer, while Chris and Ray Cameron use other forms of alcohol to get their highs in life. There doesn't seem to be anything more potent than alcohol used to grease social wheels in Slither. Of course, there are things going on in those two films that render any mood-altering substances kind of third-tier. But there is a little substance use surprise in the earliest of these three movies.

The scientist, Dr. Warren Chapin (who is played by Vincent Price), in The Tingler uses a substance that was not widely known in 1959, but which would be very well known a decade later. Lysergic acid diethylamide, abbreviated LSD, becomes Dr. Chapin's investigative tool; he desires a bad trip (as they would come to be called) in order to make himself afraid, and try to get data on his postulated creature: the tingler. His wife, meantime, is a frequent user of alcohol.

Several sources assert that this was the first depiction in the cinema of LSD use. There's a link below to the scene on Youtube. The clip is also included on one of the cited web pages. This is the scene about which I wrote in the review that Price seems to be in on the joke. The TCM article writer seems to believe that there was no joke, it was simply that no one on the set knew anything about lysergic acid diethyamide or its effects.

What's the truth? Search me. But this one scene is more fun than all the boozing you see in the other two movies.

Vincent Price injects LSD and FREAKS OUT! from Youtube. Posted by Dr. Lance Boyle on 16 Feb 2017.

The Tingler: Vincent Price Tripping on Acid? Yes Please. from horrordigest.blogspot.com Posted by Andre Dumas at 9:58 PM. 'Whether or not my love is owed to the parasite remains to be seen however, but I do want to make it very clear that the single best thing that happened to me all week was seeing Vincent Price tripping on LSD. Yes, behold the wonder and mystique of one of the greatest scenes of all time!'

First LSD scene in cinema, the Tingler 1959 from dailypsychedelic video. '“Average injection 50 micrograms. 50. I’m making it a hundred.” And so begins the first LSD scene in the history of cinema, which was featured, how suitable for the 1950s – in a horror film, in which LSD is described as a drug that will make all of your nightmares become alive and fill you with unbearable fear.'

The Tingler. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Robb 'White had experimented with LSD at UCLA after hearing about it from Aldous Huxley and decided to work it into the script.[citation needed] It is the first depiction of LSD use in a major motion picture. At the time the drug was legal. The title of the book Vincent Price's character reads before taking LSD — Fright Effects Induced by Injection of Lysergic Acid LSD25 — is printed on the back of the book, not the front. This was done for a better shot for the expositional title of the book explaining the effects of LSD to the audience.'

The Tingler from TCM.com by Sean Axmaker. '"In a controlled experiment with my own fear, perhaps I can find out all the things we have to know," Chapin muses to his assistant. "Only nothing scares me." That sounds like a challenge, and Chapin faces it with a movie first: he shoots himself up with an experimental chemical called LSD and has the first acid-trip freak-out on American screens. Price hams it up with gusto, but apparently no one on the production had any actual experience to draw from, and his histrionics make the scene endearingly square in retrospect.'

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I've neglected The Skin I Live In for too long.

I've completed an essay about the similarities between the two films in the NQRR.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:37 am

Victim (2010) and The Skin I Live In (2011)

A Very Strange Case of Coincidence

Movies sometimes come out with similar basic ideas, very closely together in time. Think of Armageddon and Deep Impact. Both are based on the same novel but neither production could get approval to use the novel as a legal source. So the writers just came up with their own take on the story...and it yielded two films, both released in 1998.

In this Not Quite a Remake Rematch we look at a film that came out in 2010, a low-budget thriller in which it becomes unclear who is the titular victim. And another film created by the international master of the slightly off-kilter tale, Pedro Almodóvar. There is no question which is the better-made film. But keep in mind that Almodóvar had 13 times the budget to work with. Thierry Jonquet published a novel in 1995 that became the frame for the 2011 release [Essay #1 is about the novel Mygale, which was published in English as Tarantula]. Did Matt Eskandari read the same novel? There is no overt indication that he did, although his plot suggests that he might have been familiar with the story.

In a post in this thread made on Wednesday 3 May 2017 (on page 45) Eskandari answers the question of whether he was familiar with the Mygale story. He says he was not.
Matt Eskandari wrote:
To answer a few lingering questions, NO I had never read the Tarantula novel before making Victim nor have I to this day. A very strange case of coincidence.

If you watch both these films you will have no trouble seeing so many parallels that you will have to wonder these things. Is it serendipity? Two minds running with the same general thoughts, and yielding similar outcomes?

I can't tell you. But this is the perfect pair of films to explore with you as an NQRR matchup.

Here are the similarities and some differences: To avoid spoiling things for those who haven't yet learned that films are better the more you know about them in advance, I'll shove my text behind tags.

Similarity: A young man rapes a young woman, and then he leaves her.
Difference: In Victim the rape is followed by a severe beating, and the entire incident is videotaped as a snuff video. In The Skin I Live In, Vicente becomes frightened, unsure whether Norma has consented to or resisted his sexual penetration, and runs away.

Similarity: The young man is kidnapped by a party unknown to him.
Difference: In Victim, Doctor Volk's hired man, Mr. George, knocks out the Young Man (always nameless in the film) and the pair kidnap him as he returns to his car after a trip to a bar, where he was, presumably, seeking another woman for another video. In The Skin I Live In, Vicente is captured directly by Dr. Robert Ledgard on a roadway, after Dr. Ledgard causes a crash of the boy's motorcycle.

Similarity: The young man is kept in a basement prison for a protracted time.
Difference: In Victim the young man is kept in a jail cell, with bars. In Skin, Vicente is kept chained up in a basement.

Similarity: The young man learns that his captor is the father of the girl or woman he raped.

Similarity: The father is a plastic surgeon.
Difference: Dr. Volk is a rather creepy middle aged man. Dr. Ledgard is an internationally respected surgeon, handsome and charismatic.

Similarity: The girl who was raped is still alive, but has survived with trauma.
Difference: Dr. Volk's daughter is a bed-ridden, scarred mute, almost-vegetable living upstairs in Volk's mansion. Dr. Ledgard's daughter is now a near-catatonic, touch-aversive resident of a psychiatric facility.

Similarity: The young man is subjected to sexual reassignment surgery without his knowledge or consent.
Difference: Dr. Volk and Dr. Ledgard more or less gloat over this turn of events that takes place beneath their scalpel. This is the father's idea of revenge in both cases. Volk has an assistant who knows what is happening. Ledgard's surgical team is told that Vicente is not underage, and that, furthermore, the boy wants the sexual reassignment surgery.

Similarity: As part of the revenge, the young man is slowly transformed into a near-replica of a specific woman.
Difference: Dr Volk recreates his daughter from the Young Man who ruined her life, in order to put her through the same trauma that Rachel faced in the snuff film. He calls her Rachel, and she becomes a resident of the household. As far as we know, the transwoman is not raped. Trans-Rachel is played by Stephen Weigand, who plays the Young Man. Dr. Ledgard transforms Vicente into the likeness of Ledgard's ex-wife. Renamed Vera Cruz, she remains a prisoner, is physically and psychologically tortured in a protracted way, and also raped by Dr. Ledgard. Vera Cruz is played by Elena Anaya, while Vicente is played by Jan Cornet.

Similarity: Someone suspects what is going on and confronts the Doctor.
Difference: The Young Man manages to escape his cell for a few hours, but not the house. During this time he calls the police. Janet, a police detective shows up to investigate, but Dr. Volk plays ignorant; and then she "disappears" during her second visit to Dr. Volk's residence. One of Dr. Ledgard's colleagues becomes suspicious about Robert Ledgard, and confronts him, but doesn't complete his vigilante intervention.

Similarity: The transexual woman kills the doctor and escapes.
Difference: In Victim, the former Young Man's discovery of Rachel in an upstairs bedroom, and then her subsequent near-rape and murder by Mr. George ends in the death of Mr. George and Dr. Volk at her hands. In Skin, Vera Cruz shoots and kills Robert Ledgard, and leaves his house. The trans-Rachel is seen walking down an empty highway at the end of Victim. At the end of The Skin I Live In, Vera Cruz returns to Vicente's former home and tells Vicente's mother, "Mama, it's me. I'm Vicente."
But another interesting question might be, did Pedro Almodóvar ever see Eskandari's film?

You see, a 9 minute short film entitled Retribution was released in 2008 by Eskandari. And the copyright date on the film Victim is 2007.

Regardless of the strong coincidences, it is quite clear that Almodóvar got his idea from the 1995 novel Mygale. He expanded the story by adding the skin of the title, and by removing a character who plays a strong role in the novel. Plus, he changed up the family dynamic of Dr. Ledgard's household. Still, the novel is listed in the credits. I guess to know anything more about this, we'll just have to wait for another director sighting.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:37 am

I hope the technical crew posts don't bore you who are reading the thread.

There are still 55 such posts to go before this Round finishes.

I'm about to post design for TNS, which will leave only 54!

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 am

Design

Brook Simons was always credited in his work as Phil or Phillip Bennett. The Tingler was the first of his screen credits as Art Director, which eventually numbered 19. The bulk of his work was on television programs. His final credit is for the 1980 film Ordinary People. He worked on Father Knows Best (TV, 1954-1960); Dennis the Menace (TV 1960-1961), I Dream of Jeannie (1970); Alias Smith and Jones (TV, 1971-1973). He was the art director for the Wonder Woman TV movie (1974). As I recall, the series Alias Smith and Jones was the source of a number of catch-phrases when it was on. Didn't have anything to do with Simons' art direction, though. Probably.

Milton Stumph (1911–1982) set decoration. His first of 14 credits is for The Girl of the Limberlost (1945), as a set decorator. The bulk of his credits are for episodes of television programs between then and 1970. Many of these were fairly regularly found dancing across the screens of TVs in my childhood homes: Jungle Jim (TV, 1955); The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin (TV, 1955-1959); Father Knows Best (1959); The Donna Reed Show (1958-1961); Bewitched (TV 1966). His latest credit is for The Courtship of Eddie's Father (TV, 1970) which was a hummer of a show, but it got canceled. As a teenager I became convinced that watching television was useless, because if I liked a new show it would inevitably draw very few viewers, and would get canceled at least by the end of the season.

Maria Caso Art Director and Set Decorator. Ms. Caso has 43 production design credits, but also has a number of art direction and set decoration credits. She has both of those for Night of the Creeps, of course. Her first credit in both categories is an episode of Greatest Heroes of the Bible (TV, 1979). Her next set decoration credit is for The Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood (1980). She was art director for Purple Rain (1984). The same year she was art director for The Bear (1984), and interestingly her most recent art direction credit is for The Bear: The Legend of Coach Paul Bryant (2001). Caso has been a production designer since Vera (1980). She was art director for The Walking Dead (1995), and currently is production designer for Fear the Walking Dead (TV, 2015-2017), which deals with an entirely different topic from the 1995 movie.

Eileen Kennedy Costume Designer. Kennedy was assistant costume designer for Videodrome (1983), then moved up to costume design for The Ray Bradbury Theater (TV, 1985). Since then she has acquired 8 credits for wardrobe department, and 13 for costume design proper. Night of the Creeps was her third gig as costume designer. Her latest work was assistant costume design on Mr Church (2016) and Narcos (TV, 2016)

Michael N. Wong's art direction on Slither happened about ten years after he worked on Night Visitors (TV, 1996). Since then he has worked on movies and television projects such as Replicant (2001), Taken (TV, 2002), Fido (2006), Push (2009), and Falling Skies (TV, 2015). I have actually seen some of his work apart from Slither, thanks to Netflix streaming video.

Shane Vieau's 35 set decoration credits span the period between Love Lessons (TV, 2000) and Mortal Engines (2018). This man has more titles that I'm familiar with on his CV than anyone else in this post. I have actually seen (and *own some discs of one or two) these films from his listing: Slither* (2006); Juno (2007); Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem* (2007); Underworld Awakening (2012); Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters* (2013); Dawn of the Planet of the Apes* (2014); and Suicide Squad (2016). There are others whose titles are familiar to me. As with all the rest in this post, Vieau has worked in both television and feature films, but since 2011 he has worked in features only. In addition, Vieau was the set decorator in Vancouver for The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnasus (2009), a recent Flix DVD view of mine.

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name of each subject, or the name of the project, or the name plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the used images will no doubt be in the list of images returned.

google image result for Jungle Jim TV Poster

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 am

I love Night of the Creeps the most. Slither is also great. The Tingler is good fun, yet dated.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 pm

That would be my order of preference, as well.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:16 am

At the Helm

Two of these films have writer-directors!

William Castle (1914–1977) was an opportunist in a way that not many directors of modern times would be. He wasn't alone in his ability to discern what people would pay money to experience, of course. He probably shared a certain belief most often mis-associated with P.T. Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute." But for the first two decades of his directorial career he made the standard Hollywood fare. His earliest credit is for Coney Island (1939), a short documentary film. His first feature was a Boston Blackie film (the sixth in the series) The Chance of a Lifetime (1943). His time at Columbia Pictures was filled with B-movie directing gigs, and he did his most popular work at that studio. The four films that IMDb selects as "Known for..." out of his 65 directorial credits are House on Haunted Hill (1959), The Tingler (1959), and 13 Ghosts (1960). Castle is also known for Rosemary's Baby (1968), but as producer. He often doubled as producer/director on his films. He has a total of 24 producer credits at IMDb. By 1958 Castle was associated in the public mind with gimmicks and horror tropes. This lasted for most of the rest of his career. Zotz! (1962) was a comedy amidst all these, but a comedy with a supernatural and wicked twist.

Fred Dekker was born the year Tingler (1959) was released. His career was covered in the technical crew post about the writers, because he did double-duty on Night of the Creeps. Dekker only directed three films and a TV episode. Night of the Creeps was the first. He continues to write and to produce, though.

James Gunn started with Troma Studios as a writer and later a director. His first directing gig was The Tromaville Café (TV, 1997). Slither was his first feature film. He then directed 11 TV episodes in 2008 and 2009 before directing Super (2010). Gunn both wrote and directed Slither (2006). His most recent three writer/director titles all have the words Guardians of the Galaxy in them, with numbers after that phrase. Volume 3 has been announced. This might be the shape of Gunn's career for the foreseeable future. Unless y'all stop going to see GotG films, that is. Keep buyin' tickets. I like them.

An Ode to Our Fright Masters: William Castle from Slickster Magazine.com. Written by Frank Acosta, April 27, 2016, at 7:37 p.m. Source of Wm. Castle image.

Fred Dekker: Life at 24 Frames Per Secondfrom Moxie Sozo.com Interview by Leif Steiner & Emily Potts January 24, 2017. Source of Dekker photo.

St. Louis director James Gunn goes galactic from St. Louis Post Dispatch. By Joe Williams joewilliams@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8344 Jul 31, 2014. Source of photo of Gunn and raccoon.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:50 am

To complete the Round I'll have to post 2 or 3 tech crew posts per review or essay post for those remaining. I have 17 essays, 6 reviews, and 53 technical crew posts remaining.

But I'm about to make that 52 tech posts.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 am

A Comparison of Tarzan of the Apes (1918), Tarzan the Ape Man (1932) & Greystoke the Legend of Tarzan (1983)
Behind the Lens

-- 1918 --------------------
Enrique Juan Vallejo (1882–1950) didn't get a screen credit for his first two outings as cinematographer: Making a Living (short, 1914) and Kid Auto Races at Venice (short, 1914), a Charlie Chaplin vehicle. But for The Spanish Jade (1915) E. J. Vallejo was put on the titles. Tarzan of the Apes (1918) was his 6th photography credit. When he finished Her Sacrifice (1926) he never shot another movie, according to IMDb. The bio page says that Vallejo retired from films in 1935. He lived to be 67. Through the years his credit might be his full name, or the version with initials used in 1915, or Harry Vallejo.

-- 1932 --------------------
Clyde De Vinna (1890–1953) born in Sedalia, MO, was educated in my home state according to IMDb, which claims that he graduated from the University of Arkansas. He was known for shooting on location. De Vinna first cranked the silent camera for Civilization (1915) directed by Reginald Barker and Thomas H. Ince. A year later, he filmed The Three Musketeers. His first sound picture may have been White Shadows in the South Seas (1928), with directors W.S. Van Dyke and Robert J. Flaherty. De Vinna photographed the scandalous Tarzan and His Mate in 1934, with more skin on view than any Tarzan film before the 1980's. He also was the DP on Ben Hur (1925). His last feature film was The Jungle (1952) whose posters screamed in all caps: "Filmed in Sepia in the Mystic Heart of India!" His final two projects were television episodes for The Roy Rogers Show (1951-1953) and 3 episodes of I Married Joan (1953). He died at age 63 in July of that year.

Harold Rosson (1895–1988) also began in the silent era. David Harum (1915) was his first credited picture. A year after that his third film was James Young's production of Oliver Twist (1916). Eight years earlier he had tried his hand at acting, but after 1915 he stuck to lighting and shooting through El Dorado (1967), his 154th IMDb credit listing. Among his better-known works: Captains Courageous (1936), The Wizard of Oz (1939), Duel in the Sun (1946), Singin' in the Rain (1952), The Bad Seed (1956), and his last film. Toward the end of his career Rosson dabbled in television, shooting four TV episodes in 1956. Rosson lived to age 93, dying in Palm Beach Florida in the year 1988.

-- 1983 --------------------
John Alcott (1931–1986) is known for having lit and photographed three of Stanley Kubrick's films. He is less known for having taken over principle photography on 2001: a Space Odyssey (1968), an IMDb listing under the Camera and Electrical Dept. tab, which contains 19 entries. Cinephiliabeyond.org, also notes this contribution. Alcott won an Oscar for his available-light tour de force on Barry Lyndon (1975). Alcott received five awards for Best Cinematography for that film! Even though cinematographers cannot make a film terrible, in this case Alcott made the film notable. He was nominated twice for his work on Greystoke (1984). His last film was No Way Out (1987) which is featured in a Round Three Rematch. It was his 20th credit as cinematographer. I get the idea that the man worked on whatever tickled his fancy, given that he followed The Shining (1980) with Terror Train (1980)! His first cinematographer credit was for A Clockwork Orange (1971), although he had worked as clapper/loader and focus puller since 1948. He was assistant camera a couple of times. And then 2001: a Space Odyssey gave him a chance to show that he also had a good eye. But he lived only until 1986, dying at Cannes, France that year at age 55.

John Armijo sent us this group of photos by Enrique (Harry) Vallejo of Mabel Normand from looking-for-mabel.webs.com, posted by Marilyn Slater April 6, 2012. Source of Vallejo photo.

wikipedia File:Clyde_De_Vinna.jpg

Harold Rosson images that I couldn't use because they are not licensed for the US.

HAROLD ROSSON from cinematographers.nl.

Six Kinds of Light: John Alcott, a rare documentary on cinematographer best known for his four collaborations with Stanley Kubrick. cinephiliabeyond.org, source of Alcott photo. Another site that threatens a paywall or closure if I don't contribute some money to them. They are likely to hit you up for a contribution as well...if they still exist.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 am

One more tech post and then I'll have to prepare an essay or something for a change of pace.

Tarzan again!

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:04 pm

A Comparison of Tarzan of the Apes (1918), Tarzan the Ape Man (1932) & Greystoke the Legend of Tarzan (1983)
SFX

For this technical crew post I selected names associated with visual effects.

No credit for special effects on this early film.

Warren Newcombe (1894–1960) photographic effects (uncredited). This man has 30 IMDb entries for visual effects, most of which are tagged "uncredited." The studio system allowed a person to work on a huge number of titles, but there was no effort to credit most of those who worked on the various aspects of films. There were also no 6-minute credit rolls at the end of movies in those days. Newcombe was a matte painter, first working without a screen credit on America (1924). We have seen his matte paintings in The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946), in The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) and in The Wizard of Oz (1939) in this thread. For the 1939 film he was "director of matte painting staff." But for Tarzan the Ape Man (1932) his uncredited work is for "photographic effects." Newcomb has 212 credits for "special effects" work. He began that phase of his career, also without screen credit, with The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932). IMDb's feature that puts up a marquee with four best-known examples selects Singin' in the Rain (1952), An American in Paris (1951), Forbidden Planet (1956) and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954), all from his special effects credits. Newcomb's awards page lists his two Oscar wins and additional nomination. He retired after his work on Raintree County (1957), and died at age 66 in 1960.

Albert Whitlock (1915–1999) special visual effects. Whitlock was born the year that Clyde De Vinna and Harold Rossum began their cinematography careers. He was a miniatures assistant on The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), and a scenic artist on The 39 Steps (1935) at the beginning of his career, but received no screen credit for the work. Whitlock has 8 art department and 9 special effects credits listed at IMDb. By 1939 he had art department roles in five Alfred Hitchcock films, and a few by other directors. By the late 1940s he had moved into special effects work. He was primarily a matte painter, and in this capacity he worked on 158 titles by 1992, the year of his death. He was still working as a visual effects consultant when he worked on Chaplin (1992), his last film. Whitlock's reach was vast, into many different genres, but especially fantasy and Science Fiction. He often worked on special visual effects apart from mattes, such as in The Thing (1982) and in Greystoke (1983). He continued to work on Hitchcock films, but also comedies and Westerns. He is another person whose large number of titles and wide range of application lead me to ask you to click on his link and look for yourself if you are interested.

Matte Shot - a tribute to Golden Era special fx. nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com. Source of Newcombe photo.

Albert Whitlock - a scrapbook of memorable matte moments. nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com. Source of Whitlock photo.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Design Aspects

For this post, I selected art direction and costume design people to highlight.

F.I. Wetherbee (1868–1923) art direction. This man has only one credit at IMDb.

E.M. Jahrhaus (1863–1934) costume design. Like the art director, this man has only one credit at IMDb.

That doesn't mean that either man never worked on other motion pictures, it simply means that they don't have screen credits to let us know.

Cedric Gibbons (1893–1960) was the art director for Van Dyke's Tarzan movie. That was one of 1,058 credits that IMDb lists for him in that category. In most cases, according to the bio page, Gibbons was the supervising art director, getting credit for other people's work, but was directly responsible for the look of at least 150 of those films, apparently including the 1932 Van Dyke Tarzan picture. His latest credits for art direction are The Rack (1956) and The Magic Lamp (short, 1956). Gibbons died in 1960, when he was 67 years old. He won 11 Oscars out of 39 nominations. His work on The Unwritten Code (1919) started off that long career. In 1934 he directed Tarzan and His Mate, as well as doing art direction on 24 other films.

No one is credited for costume design for the 1932 film.

Simon Holland (1940–2010), supervising art director on Greystoke: the Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984), has 10 art director credits at IMDb. I have see four of those films. Holland has another 22 credits for production design, and I've seen 6 of those. In fact, I've seen the film that started his art direction career, Bartleby (1970), the one which was the seal on that career, Greystoke (1984), and the one that earned him his first production design credit, Quadrophenia (1979). Holland was 70 years old when he died in 2010, two years after Tales of the Riverbank (2008) his final screen credit.

John Mollo costume designer, worked in that capacity on his first film, Star Wars (1977), then on Alien (1979), then on The Empire Strikes Back (1980), then on Outland (1981), Ghandi (1982), The Lords of Discipline (1983) and then our film, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984). He has a total of 27 costume design credits, the last 8 of which are the Hornblower TV movie series that ran from 1998 to 2003. He got Oscars for Ghandi (1982) and Star Wars (1977). You can find scans of his original Star Wars costume sketches online, but none for his Greystoke costumes. Ha ha.

John Mollo: Color and Authenticity in the Star Wars Universe source of photo of John Mollo with Brandon Alinger.

source of Tarzan ad from Classic Film Afficionados.

TARZAN OF THE APES source of lobby placard for Tarzan (1918)

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:29 am

Photobucket is being cranky again.

I guess I'll go ahead and load the new tech post, and then come look later to see that it's working.

EDIT: Nope. I won't because it won't let me put up the images. And that keeps it from allowing me to post the, er, post.

EDIT 2: If I load the page and right click on the broken image tag, it opens the photo at Photobucket. But only after flashing a page that says "This site can't be reached." BTW, Photobucket is open in another tab in this very browser. Might the the server for the Corrie. I'll try back later.

Edit 3: Interesting. Everything on page 1 loads, and everything that was uploaded to Photobucket at that time in the current posts will load. Only the newer pix won't load. Had this problem a year or so ago, too.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 am

Well, it looks like I won't post anything today. Maybe The images will return by tomorrow!

I'll just go watch a movie, now. :D

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 am

Hmm. Still broken image icons for the pictures.

I may never get to finish the thread...at least not with photos. :D

I'm going to post the text and put images in later. This is all taking long enough. I can repost with images if Corrie ever starts working with Photobucket again.

Or maybe it's just this thread. But it isn't Photobucket, or my browser. I can have both Corrie and the bucket open at once, and Photobucket works with Comodo Dragon, Safari, Chrome and Firefox...

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:04 pm

In the Cutting Room

Isadore Bernstein (1876–1944) was a writer, a production manager, a producer and in one case only, a film editor. He founded a production studio in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles, CA in about 1917. Bernstein has 66 credits as a writer, three as production manager and two as producer. His Hollywood career began in 1911 with the scenario for The Power of Devotion, a short film, and continued through 1938, when he penned three stories for the screen. He died of a heart attack in 1944, scarcely known for his screen work, but widely regarded as the man who built and managed Universal City studios alongside Carl Laemelle. Sadly, his original editing work has been hacked to death in order to boil the three hour film down to one hour, and there is no way to tell how he originally matched the cuts. It can be said that his choice of takes is usually quite excellent.

Tom Held (1889–1962) edited They Learned About Women (1930), and 23 other films in his career. His seventh editing gig was for the Weissmueller Tarzan movie of 1932. But only six years later he edited The Great Waltz (1938), and then walked away from the rewinders forever. He was even nominated for an Oscar for his work on that film. He lived to be 72, finally leaving this world behind in 1962, but he never did any further work in the film industry, as far as the internet can tell me. All the sources seem to draw from Wikipedia, and add nothing broader.

Ben Lewis (1894–1970) was the assistant editor on Ben Hur (1925), but in only a year he got himself a job editing films outright, and worked on four movies in 1926. When he was 76 years old he died while editing the television series The Courtship of Eddie's Father, for which he completed 7 episodes. It was his 126th film editor credit. I have seen a few of his works beyond Tarzan (1932): Mark of the Vampire (1935), They Gave Him a Gun (1937), Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938), Lassie Come Home (1943), The Mighty McGurk (1947), The Red Badge of Courage (1951), Atlantis: the Lost Continent (1961), Drums of Africa (1963), and Hot Rods to Hell (1967). I haven't seen Dinner at Eight (1938) or For Me and My Gal (1942), two of his better-known picks at IMDb. Held's editorial timing on Tarzan the Ape Man (1932) is almost perfect. And he manages to make some sequences where prey and predator are never on the same movie set appear alive and threatening. Plus, his cutting of the dialogue scenes between Tarzan and Jane are pitch perfect.

Anne V. Coates received Academy Award Nominations for Lawrence of Arabia (1962), Becket (1964), The Elephant Man (1980), In the Line of Fire (1993), and Out of Sight (1998). She was given an Honorary awared in 2017. With A Dolphin in Our Lake (2018) she earned her 55th editorial credit. She first worked as "second editor" on The End of the River (1947), and by 1951 was the primary editor for Noel Langley's production of The Pickwick Papers (1952). IMDb selects as her best-known four films Lawrence of Arabia, The Elephant Man, Erin Brockovich (2000) and Fifty Shades of Grey (2015). But I can personally attest to the adept editing skills of this woman based on five of those already mentioned, plus Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 hours 11 minutes (1965), Friends (1971), Murder on the Orient Express (1974), a truly superb job of film assembly, and Lady Jane (1986) where the editing emphasizes the drowning feeling of the two young protagonists as they face certain death. In addition, the editing of Greystoke, especially in the mostly voiceless first 30 minutes, is quite skillful. Coates assembles John Alcott's footage into a gripping story of apes and a little boy who is learning to be an ape. The editing continues to make the best of the story throughout the film, but certain directorial decisions undermine what Coates is able to do with the story of the adult Lord Greystoke.

The Bernstein Film Studio of Boyle Heights from Boyle Heights history Blog. Source of photo of Isadore Bernstein signing contract.

Mary Mallory / Hollywood Heights: Second Universal City Celebrates Its Centennial source of Universal City panorama photo.

Tom Held film Google search results.

Anne V. Coates on Her First Editing Gig With 1952’s ‘The Pickwick Papers’ source of drawing of Anne Coates.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 pm

If I have to finish all the words this way, that's what I'll do.

It would save me untold hours to not have to create graphics!! 8-)

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Damn. I couldn't even post the link to the post in the Initial Post for the Rematch this morning!

Every image, both new and old said it couldn't determine the dimensions.

YTMN is snookered. :(

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Stephen is probably taking all his day off to figure out what's wrong. Thanks, Stephen. Or maybe Jedi is working on it from the other side of the earth. Thanks, Jedi.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:15 pm

You might want to try using Imgur instead.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 am

Thanks for the suggestion. But I pay to have unlimited bandwidth, just for this thread, at Photobucket. Usually there is no problem, but once in a while something like this occurs. I'm going to see if this thread has gotten too graphics-heavy or something, by posting the same BBcode into the Crew thread that I tried to post here this morning. These things almost always resolve themselves after a while. But I used to have this problem with Corrie posts in Firefox, and began using Comodo Dragon for posting, because things would go smoothly with the graphics. Until yesterday, there wasn't any problem with Photobucket/Corrierino/Comodo Dragon.

And I always keep in mind that the miracle is that the internet ever works, not that it fails sometimes. :D

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:20 am

Okay, pix are working again. It always works out within 48 hours.

This is not a technical crew post. But it's still kind of about the people who made your jeans.

The ones who play Tarzan and Jane aren't always the ones (in fact they are rarely the ones) swinging through the trees.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 pm

A Comparison of Tarzan of the Apes (1918), Tarzan the Ape Man (1932) and Greystoke (1983)

Stunts

Action films probably use more stunt players than any other genre. One man or woman plays the speaking version of the character, while one or more individuals do the more dangerous physical acting. Some actors, such as Tom Cruise, are reputed to do all their own stunts, no matter how difficult. But he can do this because he has, of late, been the producer of all his films, and can give himself permission to risk life and limb. Jackie Chan is also known for doing all his own stunts.

But in the Tarzan universe, most of the actors playing the main speaking roles have been substituted with another actor when it was time for Tarzan or Jane to do something athletic or difficult to do, if it was dangerous, or required particular skills that the actor did not possess.

In the 1932 movie 7 stuntmen appear, who are listed on IMDb, but not credited on the film itself: George Bruggeman...stunt double (uncredited), Al Cadutta...stunts (uncredited), Tony Cadutta...stunts (uncredited), Alfredo Codona...stunt double: Weissmuller swinging shots (uncredited), Ray Corrigan...stunts (uncredited), Stubby Kruger...stunts (uncredited), Norm Taylor...stunt double (uncredited). No telling which of the stunt men did the triple giant swing in one scene. Probably wasn't Weissmuller. And some of these stuntmen probably did stunts for the natives and the dwarves, too.

Tarzan does not swim in the origin novel, except when he is a child. Yet, because Weissmuller was an Olympic swimmer, five-time gold medal winner, and famous because of it, when he was chosen to play Tarzan, the jungle lord had to swim. This ability was added to the character by Cyril Hume, and the swimming stunts were, of course, done by the champion swimmer. But swinging from vines, and wrestling wild animals is not the same as reigning in the pool.

One of my favorite scenes in the 1932 film is the one where Jane is running along the riverbank, and Tarzan is swimming alongside her, keeping up with her. Of course she is running a decidedly crooked pathway while he is swimming straight down the river. But you can tell he's not having to work hard to go her speed.

As time went by, the later men cast as Tarzan, and the actresses who played his female counterpart, Jane, continued to do the speaking roles while stunt actors played the dangerous scenes. The exception to this would be the animated Tarzan motion pictures, of course.

The 2016 film, The Legend of Tarzan, has two persons listed in the credits who did stunt work for the Tarzan character in that film: Jack Jagodka -- stunt double: Alexander Skarsgård / stunt performer, and Mark Slaughter -- stunt double: Alexander Skarsgård / stunt performer. Wales Online discloses that Augusts Dakteris performed many of the vine swinging stunts on a green screen stage for the 2016 feature. Each of the other main character actors had their own stunt doubles. And, of course, in modern times there is the digital stunt double, which doesn't need a credit at the end of the film.

Whether credited or not, there is always someone in a Tarzan film who could get a credit similar to this one: Alexis Barron -- stunt department coordinator / stunt double: Margot Robbie / stunt performer. She was the person in charge of hiring, training and assigning roles to all the dozens of stunt performers working on the 2016 film. Plus, she did some stunt work as well.

List of Famous Stunt Performers reference page from Ranker.com

Famous Female Stunt Performers reference page from Ranker.com

Meet the REAL Legend of Tarzan who made Alexander Skarsgard look good from Wales Online. ByLiz Day 09:55, 30 JUL 2016 Updated23:13, 5 AUG 2016. 'Skarsgard was clearly impressed with his stunt double’s performance and told interviewers: “I’m watching the movie of me doing these incredible stunts, swinging through the jungle. “And I’m thinking: ‘Should I take credit for this?’ Augusts deserves the credit, for sure.”'

Alexis Barron 5 Titles. From ShotOnWhat. A page about her work.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Back to a few technical crew posts. Tarzan is almost complete, but there is a very complex essay that will need to be posted, and for number 6--well, I haven't decided which of a few possible essays to use for that one!

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 am

Soundtrack

There is no composer credit for the 1918 Tarzan film.

Dr. William Axt (1888–1959) musical director (uncredited) had a conducting career long before he composed and conducted for films. Axt has 204 composer credits that begin in 1919 with Madame DuBarry, then move to The Mark of Zorro (1920) and The Prisoner of Zenda (1922). He was the uncredited music arranger for The Birth of a Nation (1915). You may wonder how Axt could be a composer for silent films. I was unaware until the 2002 DVD of Metropolis (1927) came out, that many silent films had orchestral and piano scores created for them. In fact, it was perhaps that convention that led to sound films getting musical scores only a few years after their development, as soon as the equipment existed for mixing dialogue and music or Foley tracks. The 1927 Gottfried Huppertz score for Metropolis blew me away, and is the equivalent of almost any modern film score I've heard. So the fact that Axt has music department and composition credits before 1929 no longer puzzles me. Axt was the head of the MGM music department, which he joined in 1928. The musical director credit for the Tarzan film doesn't explain whether he composed and conducted the music. The year after Tarzan, Axt composed the score for Gabriel Over the White House (1933), an odd little film that I once caught on TCM. He did the music for Dinner at Eight (1933), The Thin Man (1934), David Copperfield (1935). His last credit is for Untamed (1940). Wikipedia tells us that Axt retired from MGM, and spent the remaining 19 years of his life as a rancher, raising cattle and horses.

John Scott has earned 155 composer credits, and 80 music department credits, alongside 87 soundtrack credits in his career. He plays flute and saxophone. He worked as a studio musician on two Gerry Anderson television series, two of my favorites as a kid: Supercar (1961) and Fireball XL5 (1962-1963). IMDb says that Scott played principal saxophone on the Goldfinger (1964) soundtrack. He composed and conducted the music for the Greystoke film. Scott's composition credits range over all genres and all layers of quality for cinema. Since he composed the music for A Study in Terror (1965), he has composed a lot of music for titles that are unknown to me, for the most part. Some are intriguing, though, such as: Girl Stroke Boy (1973), Those Fantastic Flying Fools (1967), Girl Smugglers (1967), and Inseminoid (1981). Many films in his list are documentaries. I've seen one low-qual sci-fi/horror film, Trog (1970), and Amores Perros (2000, for which Scott has a Soundtrack credit). Two titles are currently in pre-production. John Scott has won three awards, but escaped the 1984 Razzies with a mere nomination for Worst Musical Score: Il mondo di Yor (1983), released for English speaking countries as Yor,the Hunter from the Future.

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name or title of each subject, or that plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the used images will no doubt be in the list of images returned. Photos and posters found at IMDb are not credited.

William Axt source of his photo.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 am

There are still reviews of films and some essays to put up in here. But most of the remaining posts are the technical crew posts.

I like them because I can summarize a person's entire working career in a single paragraph. Certainly, nothing I write in here will actually equal the person's contribution to any single title or to their entire oeuvre, but it's at least giving you a chance to think about the people who made your movies.

If you find them boring, I apologize, but it is part of the rationale for doing the Rematches.

I have all the information written for the Tom Brown Rematch tech posts, so I'll post the ones I have done, as soon as I can put in graphics. I think the next movie review will be for A.I. Artificial Intelligence. At least that's scheduled for me to re-watch and write about next.

One or two of you may have noticed that there aren't any Quotes placeholders for the remaining Rematches. That's because it was becoming too much trouble to get lines for those films. So many of them are old, and there aren't easily accessible subtitle files for them. So I'd have to rewatch every film for the purpose of quaffing a few lines to quote. I don't have that kind of time, these days!

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:08 am

Design Aspects

-----1940-----

Van Nest Polglase (1898–1968) On the 25th day of August in 1898, a baby boy was born in Brooklyn, New York City, and you can see who he became once his parents had selected a name for him. Van Nest Polglase achieved something that fewer did back in those days: he became an adult. Only a few years later, he became the Art Director on a silent film A Kiss in the Dark (1925); well, he must have loved the work, and done a fairly decent job of it, because that was the first of 337 Art director credits he would amass by 1956. Orson Welles' Citizen Kane (1941) would not have looked the way it does if Van Nest Polglase hadn't been the art director. Bringing up Baby would have been a different film if he hadn't developed its on-screen look in 1938. William Hamilton would have edited different-looking footage for Top Hat (1935), and we would remember the Hitchcock film Suspicion (1941) differently. Polglase's credits list includes the title Boy Slaves (1939) which was an exposé of human trafficking in that era. It was one of 41 films he art-directed that year. The studio system was great for this guy's credits, eh!? If you have a minute, look at his credits. He has three categories at IMDb. You'll see titles and films you recognize, and a lot that neither you nor I ever heard of.

-----1951-----

Frederick Pusey (1909–1983) began as assistant art director on Magic Night (1932). The next year he was art director on Up for the Derby (1933). Pusey worked on Things to Come (1936), the remake of The Thief of Bagdad (1940), uncredited on both, Maniacs on Wheels (1949), Tom Brown's Schooldays (1951), The Pickwick Papers (1952)...a total of 41 titles in the art department by 1954. He had been production designer on one of those films, Troopship (1937). Then Pusey shifted to television and was a production designer for television from 1955 to 1976. He earned another 28 credits in that area. The 1951 Tom Brown feature falls about halfway through his career.

-----1971-----

Paul Allen was always the production designer on his projects. At least from Hugh and I (TV, 1965) through In Sickness and in Health (TV, 1986) he did this work, earning 45 title credits. Many more episode credits, of course. Fifteen credits into this career he was the production designer for the 5-part Tom Brown's Schooldays mini-series in 1971. From 1969-1977 he did production design for Doctor Who. In some cases he would design individual episodes within a series, in other cases, like the Brown series, he did production design for the entire project.

-----2005-----

Dominic Hyman was born three years after Van Nest Polglase...died. He was storyboard artist for The Innocent Sleep (1996), production designer for a short film The Lodge (1997), art director for Harbour Lights (TV, 1999) and he has rotated among these functions ever since. His latest project is Sense8 (TV, 2016-2017) for which he is the European Art Director for 11 episodes. He did art direction for the 2005 Tom Brown television movie, much of which was filmed on location at The Rugby School. That job was followed by art direction for the Rome TV series (2005-2007), and The Pacific (TV 2010). Hyman was the assistant set decorator for Dinotopia (mini-series (2002) and Dinotopia (TV series, 2002-2003). As I said, he has continued to rotate comfortably among his categories of expertise. Hyman has also worked on TV movies, and some features. Trauma (2004) and Jupiter Ascending (2015) bear his name, for example.

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name of each subject, or the name plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the used images will no doubt be in the list of images returned. Images borrowed from IMDb are not credited.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:08 am

Actually, when I marked that last post done, I looked at my schedule for reviews, and Beijing Bicycle is next on the list!

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:14 am

I haven't seen this yet on my account, but if it turns up that will spell the end of this thread!

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 am

It took so many days to get this review done!

I guess once I got to the graphics selection phase it took as long to select images as it did to write the text. There are so many things I want to show you in the graphics for each film, and it's really hard for me to let go of anything when I begin planning out the graphics. Then I finally get down to just picking a frame that seems to have some bearing on the adjacent discussion, and then i just pick pictures.

Every single time I feel like it's the worst-illustrated post I've done yet. A year later, the graphics seem fine. :)

This is the review of a film that you might find streaming, or pirated or maybe for sale as a used DVD. But it has to be considered rare (at least it was last time I checked, which was, admittedly, two years ago).

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:02 am

A Comparison of Ladri di Biciclette (1949) & Beijing Bicycle (2002)

IMDb link 7.3/10 with 3,952 user votes -- RT-link Tomatometer 63%/user rating 74% with 4,852 votes

Year: 2001 Director: Wang Xiaoshuai -- Writers: Wang Xiaoshuai, Tang Danian, Peggy Chiao, Hsu Hsiao-Ming -- Cast: Cui Lin, Li Bin, Zhou Xun, Gao Yuanyuan, Li Shuang -- Length: 113 min. Color/Stereo

It was at a Blockbuster rental store, I'm sure. In 2002, just before I lost my apartment. I read the box blurb for the film plot and was struck by the amazing similarity to Bicycle Thieves (1949). Was it a remake? The Italian film wasn't mentioned in the on-box text. I rented it, took it home, watched it and saw many parallels, although I hadn't seen Bicycle Thieves since 1970. My desire to see De Sica's film again and to compare the two might have been the germ idea that led to all these Remake Rematches.

You'll notice that this film has tens of thousands fewer votes than the Italian film on both RottenTomatoes.com and IMDb.com. The film was known as "Bicycle Thief in Peking" in German (Fahrraddiebe in Peking), and in Italy as Le biciclette di Pechino. The original title in Chinese simply refers either to Guei as a seventeen-year old, and either his marital state, or the fact that he owns a bicycle. There is apparently a Chinese pun in the title. My point is that thieves are not mentioned. The movie debuted on 6 screens in the USA, following a two-coast release on 25 January 2002. People in France were able to watch the film almost a year earlier, on 25 April 2001. The box office figures aren't available at IMDb for France, but in the US from January to May 2002, on a maximum of 8 simultaneous screens nationwide, the film grossed $158,779.00. Apparently a total of 97 paid admissions were plunked down in the Netherlands. And 20,949 in Spain.

Hardly a blockbuster.

But not every excellent film even pays its way. And many turkeys make billions. There is little violence and fewer explosions in this movie. It's a human-scale project, with no Hollywood hyperbole, or at least very, very little of it. Compare Premium Rush (2012), which drips with exaggeration.

Yet, this film has all the contention of Transformers films, where the Autobots and Decepticons whack it out, burble from one form to another, and wreak havoc left, right, and in all other directions. It contains the mystery and suspense of many of Hitchcock's best efforts. It has the lurking monsters of Godzilla movies, rising unexpectedly from the seas in the form of a kid who buys a stolen bike, and then believes it to be his alone. He needs it to impress his romantic crush. The film has the thugs of The Godfather movies in the form of the monster's pals who beat up the true owner of the bicycle.

But, of course, to access these superb aspects of the movie you have to be willing to read subtitles; few of us Stateside understand Cantonese or Mandarin. Only about 16% of the people in the world could listen to the dialogue and understand it. Yours truly is not in that 16%.

Beijing Bicycle stands up to the De Sica film in nearly every way. Wang Xiaoshuai, the man who directed and co-wrote it, must love that Italian story, or he concocted an amazingly parallel tale all on his own. There is a 2015 Canadian film, The Confirmation, that is closer to De Sica's film in form (replacing the stolen bicycle with a stolen toolbox), but Beijing Bicycle feels more like the 1948 masterpiece. It drips with the same sense of despair. And the despair is in precisely the same place in both films. It's as if the main character recognizes that he's lost, but because he has nothing else to do, he physically and mentally refuses to give up trying to find the bicycle that has become his livelihood. The adjective stubborn is applied to Guei by almost everyone around him.

There are some differences between the two films: in Bicycle Thieves, thirty-something Antonio has a wife, a son, and infant daughter. Guo is a single, 17-year-old, with not even a girlfriend to try to financially impress. No kids to look out for. But the loss of the bicycle is the same in both cases. Anto has already paid for his bicycle; he owns it outright at the moment it is taken; he simply cannot keep his new job if he doesn't have the bicycle. Guo Lian-Guei, on the other hand, has to work at the job that the bicycle enables, in order to pay for the bike. It becomes his on the day it is lost, but he cannot do his courier job without the bicycle.

There is even a scene in Beijing Bicycle that I kept waiting to happen as I watched the 1948 film for the second time while preparing for its review in this Rematch, because it seems to fit. But it isn't in De Sica's movie. It is in Wang's film, and may even be a paean to a scene at the end of Bicycle Thieves. Yep, there is no vertical bicycle rack scene in the Italian film. That scene is in the Chinese movie.

There is a tradition in 20th century Hollywood of the "bumpkin" film. This is based in print stories of the latter half of the 19th century, when people were migrating from rural areas to the cities. Writers played with the wide-eyed un-cynical world view that immigrants to the cities had. They made much comedy out of this! I am a second generation city-dweller, the first to be born in a city. Both my parents grew up in rural areas; my father on a farm, my mother as the child of a semi-itinerant preacher. Almost all the relatives we'd go visit when I was a child lived on farms or in very small towns. Many of them still do, including some of my cousins and their children.

So, I can relate to Guo Lian-Guei as the counterpart to my father. Guei has moved to Beijing and lives with his uncle, the owner of a tiny shop in the edge of a poor area of the city. Through a chink in the wall of the uncle's shop they can see a rich woman's window in a high-rise nearby. They can't help but watch as she exists in the window of her apartment in an ever-changing parade of fine dresses and shoes. Guei's first delivery takes him to a high-rise office building where he has trouble negotiating his way through the automatic revolving door. At another place he doesn't know how to explain that he is there only to pick up a package to deliver, and follows the inane instructions of the staff at the place. This leads to trouble.

The way he and his co-workers earn their bikes is by receiving only a 20% cut of the delivery fees until it is paid for. Then he will get 50% of the fee for delivering packages for Fei Da Express Delivery Service. Guei keeps careful records of his deliveries, and after a month he is three days from owning the bike outright. On the day when he is to earn and pay the final 70 yuan and be free of debt, his bicycle goes missing. People begin to tell him it isn't about the bicycle, but they misunderstand. This is young Mr Guo's only worldly possession of any real value. For a 17-year old man it has naturally assumed much greater value than being "just a bike." And on the night before it is stolen, he marks it with a series of scratches on the vertical riser for the seat, so that he can tell that this is truly his bicycle. Not merely one of many that look exactly like it.

Here are some aspects of the film and whether I like them or don't care for them:

Like: The story in this film has moral and legal ambiguity, which raises questions to ponder. Much of the ambiguity comes from culture clash between young Mr. Guo's rural way of seeing people, and the cynical self-centered style of city-boy Jian and his posse.

Like: Someone steals Guo Lian-Guei's bicycle. For days he walks about looking for it everywhere. He finally tracks it down to Jian, mainly because Jian stops at Guo's uncle's store one day, and the uncle recognizes the mark on the bike. But Jian claims to have bought it. There is a chain of transference that cannot be traced. Guo is such a kind-hearted, fair-minded fellow that he does not take the bicycle back. Instead he agrees to share it, even though he has paid for it, too, and he will have only part ownership of the bike that he worked so hard to earn.

Like: As a way to stop the physical violence that Jian's posse shower on Guei for refusing to give up the bicycle, the sharing plan works well until...it doesn't. And Guei pays the price once again.

Like: This film is mostly what we call "pure cinema," with the action carrying the story. Dialog is often minimalist, or carried out at such a distance from the camera that it is unheard.

Like: The spoken word is relegated to the status of carrying story points that simply cannot be deduced from the visual and audio component of the story. Some characters rattle on at length, but that is a way to define those characters. There are long stretches where no one speaks a word, but a lot happens.
Don't Like: Because I have to watch the film with subtitles, I lose any comedic effect that differing dialects would bring to the story. And I'm sure there are such touches in this film. Wang Xiaoshuai is too careful with all the other little details of the movie to have not played with that aspect of a "bumpkin coming to the big city" type of story! I'm sure I miss others because there is one that the subtitles reveal. The counter help at the spa where Guei arrives to pick up a package mistake his surname, Guo, for a Mr Gua that a customer, Mr Zheng, is expecting. They don't stop to think that their boss is also named Mr Zheng.

Like: Jian's father believes Guei, especially when Guei points out the marks he made on the bike. He returns the bike to its owner, but Jian and his gang do not agree with this turn of events, and continue to harass and pummel the courier.

Like: Wang is unafraid to borrow functional tropes when they suit his story-telling. For example, Jian's would-be girlfriend Xiao, sours of Jian's self-pity over loss of the bike, and takes up with muscle-boy Da Huan who is beter at bike balancing tricks. He is a goon, who rides through alleys doing his tricks (thinking he is a hotshot) but who possess her, rather than cherishing her as Jian wished to do. Thus, we learn that girls all over the world too often fall for the bad-boy types.

Like: Liao Ching-Song is the "editing designer" for this film. He has two editors who worked under his direction. There is scarcely a hiccup in the editing of this movie. It all fits together so well, and was shot so well by Liu Jio, that you never get lost when trying to parse the action in a shot, unless it is a clever misdirection by the director.

Like: The director chose young people, technically teens, but university students as his main antagonistic characters. They can't afford cars, but they get around on bikes. They aren't mentally grown yet, so they have some funny ideas about ownership and possession. This gives rise to the conflict in the story.

Like: The four writers took the germ of the idea behind Bicycle Thieves and updated it by answering the question, "What might happen if someone owned a bicycle that was stolen and then it was bought as a used bike by someone else? What if they met?"

Like: The comic relief is mostly subtle, and no character is better comic relief than Guei's uncle. But all of them can be the subject of gentle pokes. Jian looks ridiculous as he makes a last ditch attempt to win back Xiao by riding circles around her stationary bicycle. Guei doesn't know what to do when he arrives at the Bai Fu Palace, so instead of explaining that he has arrived to pick up a package for delivery, he follows the instructions of the people behind the counter.

Like: Wang's film lampoons city-dwellers more than the innocents from the country. The incident that leads to Guei's bicycle getting stolen is a comedy of errors, with people demanding that he pay for a shower that he didn't have to take. And the people who are demanding payment are the ones who misunderstood his purpose and misdirected him in the first place. It's a comic line, but Guei's uncle may explicitly state one of the themes of this film when he says, "I'm telling you, city people are mean."

Like: Lin Cui plays Guei with authentic subtlety. A good example is the look on his face, and how he moves his head when his group of new-hires are told that the bicycles they are standing beside will soon be their own possessions. Clearly, this kid cannot believe his good fortune. You can tell that he isn't accustomed to owning anything at all, much less a Merida Kalahari 610 mountain bike. Other than the clothes on his back, it will be the only thing he owns.

Don't Like: For Western tastes the internecine struggle between Jian and Guei may be carried on a few rounds too many. I got the point before Wang's story was finished with it. Or, at least, I thought I did.
Like: But the ending of the film goes a long way toward explaining why these extra rounds are there. It's about more than the viewer merely "getting the point." These young men are trying to transition to the world of adulthood, but they haven't entirely made it there yet. Guei is much farther down the pathway than Jian is.

Like: The ending is not what you are set up to expect, but it's an ending that you will view as inevitable, once it occurs. Of course, I'm writing from Western literary tradition and Hollywood movie tropes. Perhaps if you are Chinese this is the ending that you would expect.

Like: Wang Xiaoshuai adeptly handles the extended shot. It fits this story of a bicycle courier. An especially good use of it is the shot that comes immediately after Guo realizes that in his tizzy over losing his beloved bicycle, he has forgotten to deliver the package Mr Zheng gave him at Bai Fu Palace. He sets out running bloody murder toward the destination, which is, of course, locked for the night when he gets there. The duration of the shot of Guei running through the darkness says more about how his quest is in vain than any other cinematic trick could do.
Don't Like: Sometimes a shot seems to linger a touch too long. But the pacing is never hectic, even when the characters are running or riding lickety-split through the labyrinthine maze of city alleyways.

Like: Guei's troubles are caused by another person's understanding of their shared situation. This happens all the time in real life. For a cinematic mechanism, this plot development seems as natural and uncontrived as anyone might devise. The bicycle that is the thing at the crux of the tale, is not a McGuffin. The conflict arises because what the bicycle means to Jian is not the same as what it means to its original owner, Guo Lian-Guei.

Like: One exchange between the young men tells in a nutshell one of the basic differences between them. After several days of exchanging the bicycle have passed (Guei runs to do his deliveries when he doesn't have the bike), Jian introduces himself. He extends his right hand and says, "Jian." Guei returns the courtesy, but he introduces himself as "Guo Lian-Guei," revealing his entire identity, whereas Jian has revealed only his given name. The city-born youth holds something back. Guei magnanimously reveals all. Jian was involved in subterfuge and thievery to get the bike in the first place, whereas Guei is, always, totally honest.

From the first shot, a closeup of shaggy-haired new arrival Guo Lian-Guei, standing with a lot of other country boys at Fei Da Express Delivery hoping to be hired, to the final shot of Guo carrying his bicycle for reasons that have become clear, there seem to be few missteps along the way. I saw some the first time I watched. On my fourth viewing, done to write this review, I simply didn't find any apparent mistakes that don't have an explanation somewhere in the story.

This is another of those films that hardly anyone knows about, but I can find hardly anything wrong with. It just doesn't appeal to the money plunkers, I guess. Maybe it will appeal to you if you can find a way to watch it. Maybe it won't.

Beijing Bicycle. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 'Beijing Bicycle (pinyin: Shí Qi Suì de Danche; literally: "'seventeen-year-old's bicycle' or 'seventeen-year-old bachelor'") is a 2001 Chinese drama film by Sixth Generation Chinese director Wang Xiaoshuai, with joint investment from the Taiwanese Arc Light Films and the French Pyramide Productions.'

The World’s Top 20 Languages—And The Words English Has Borrowed From Them from Mental Floss. BY Paul Anthony Jones August 25, 2015. 'Linguistically speaking, Chinese is a “macrolanguage” that encompasses dozens of different forms and dialects that together have just short of 1.2 billion native speakers.'

Matts 6. 15-MD from Merida.com. A bike very similar to Guei's Kalahari 6.10.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:02 am

A Comparison of Bicycle Thieves (1948) & Beijing Bicycle (2001)
In the Cutting Room

--1948---------------
Eraldo Da Roma 1900-1981, has 149 editing creadits at IMDb. These fall between 1936 and 1973. In some years, Da Roma would edit 10 films. In 1948, the year Ladri di Biciclette was released, it was the fifth film (and last) that he released that year. Da Roma is known for Bicycle Thieves (1948), L'Avventura (1960), Umberto D. (1952), Goliath and the Vampires (1961), The Last Days of Pompeii (a 1959 remake of a 1935 Ernest B. Schoedsack and Merian C. Cooper film), and several other films that I'm too young to appreciate, I'm sure.

--2001---------------
Ching-Song Liao supervising editor & Ju-kuan Hsiao assistant editor & Hongyu Yang assistant editor
On the film itself, Liao is credited as "Editing Designer" with the other two names bearing the descriptor: Editor. I don't know if this was done to speed up the editing of the picture. I've read about films that were edited by a team, where one group would rough-cut a scene, and pass it up the line to the final editor who would tweak the final cut. I have no idea if that's what was done here. Liao is also a cinematographer with 45 credits, but since 1978 he has amassed 88 editorial credits as well. Among his most recent editing gigs is The Assassin (2015), which got Best Director at Cannes 2015. Liao's editing garnered a trio of nominations, but no wins. His first edited film was Wo ta lang er lai (1978) which Google translate says means Oh, Tread and Come in English. The assistants are younger, so have fewer credits. Hsiao has 29 credits to date. Beijing Bicycle was his 7th project, and the only one where he was assistant editor. Yang has 35 editing credits at IMDb. Her projects range from Spicy Love Soup (1997) to Battle of Memories (2017).

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name of each subject, or the name plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the used images will no doubt be in the list of images returned. Images borrowed from IMDb are not credited.

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Let's finish page 46!

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next