It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Charulata's Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir 
Post Charulata's Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

Jean Renoir (1924-1978)

"“A director makes only one movie in his life. Then he breaks it into pieces and makes it again.”

I'm a compulsive completist and my film viewing centers quite a bit around watching entire filmographies of directors I'm interested in. I'm usually juggling 3-4 directors at a time so as to give myself some variety. I am hoping to maintain threads here wherein I'll post capsule reviews of the movies I watch and then hopefully rank the entire filmography.

I realize this sounds like a selfish thread but I'd love for all of you to participate with your views on the director as well as ranking the films you've watched by the director and anything else you think is relevant.

Fimography
Une vie sans joie
La fille de l'eau
Nana
Sur un air de Charleston

Marquitta
La petite marchande d'allumettes
Tire au flanc

Le tournoi dans la cité (fragments)
Le bled
On purge bébé
La Chienne
La nuit du carrefour
Boudu sauvé des eaux

Chotard et Cie
Madame Bovary
Toni
Le Crime de Monsieur Lange
La vie est à nous
Une Partie de campagne
Les bas-fonds
La grande illusion
La marseillaise
La bête humaine
La règle du jeu
Tosca
Swamp Water
The Amazing Mrs. Holliday
This Land is Mine
Salute to France
The Southerner
The Diay of a Chambermaid
The Woman on the Beach
The River
Le carrosse d'or
French Cancan
Elena et les hommes
Le testament du Docteur Cordelier
Le déjeuner sur l'herbe
Le caporal épinglé
Le petit théâtre de Jean Renoir
Un tournage à la campagne

*RED = Unavailable / Unsubbed
*BOLD without links = No review (yet)

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:32 am
Post Re: Charulata's Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

<3 Renoir! Count me in.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 am

Une Vie Sans Joie (Albert Dieudonné & Jean Renoir, 1924)

A rather melodramatic silent film that seems to have inspired what became a standard template for many a Bollywood production. The story itself is pretty straightforward. We follow the a poor orphaned servant girl who fortunes at any given time are entirely subservient to the whims of the upper class people who employ her. However, the film is raised well above the plot machinations by scenes that are just sublime in their beauty. I was also amazed by the pacing of the film. The film feels remarkably fast-paced even by modern standards and the climax is a perfect combination of nailbiting excitement as befits a chase scene with a great emotional payoff. Just lovely.

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:38 am

Blevo wrote:
New poster is awesome poster.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:38 am

Existing posters are way awesomer. Thanks for making me feel welcome here, seriously.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 am

Quote:
The Sleeping Beauty (Breillat, 2011)

One of my favourite films from last year. At least, I think it was around December when I got to see it. :fresh:

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 am

charulata wrote:
Existing posters are way awesomer. Thanks for making me feel welcome here, seriously.

Hey, welcome :) I read all film threads though my postings here usually consist of the social thread posts. Nice to have new people here (though I myself am quite new, too) and a great thread concept!

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 am

Nana (Jean Renoir, 1926)

This one was really disappointing. It has none of the darkness and squalor of the book and feels really superficial. Plus, there are some really strange choices regarding which plot points to leave out. Catherine Hessling is really terrible. I was okay with her terrible acting in the beginning but as the film progresses and gets more dramatic, her performance really hurts the film. The saving grace of the film is Werner Krauss as Count Moffat. He totally embodies a character who is burdened by his sense of helplessness and defeat and manage to infuse the film with some much-needed emotion. He also has the best scene in the film where Nana has him behave like a dog. Given how experimental these early Renoir films feel, I was surprised that he didn't go further with the fever dream sequence at the end. Overall, this was the worst of the Renoir films I've watched so far.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:57 am

I lurve Renoir. Congrats on already contributing more than my own meager offerings (I.e. my fondness for Renoir, as that's all you're all getting).

House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)

Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 am

Leda wrote:
Hey, welcome :) I read all film threads though my postings here usually consist of the social thread posts. Nice to have new people here (though I myself am quite new, too) and a great thread concept!

Thank you :). There's so much amazing content here and you all seem so close and connected that it's rather intimidating being the newbie. Am really hoping to get to know you all better soon.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:11 am

charulata wrote:
Thank you :). There's so much amazing content here and you all seem so close and connected that it's rather intimidating being the newbie. Am really hoping to get to know you all better soon.

Oh, please don't feel too intimidated, in no time you will feel like you had been here always :D At least it was like that for me.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:14 am

Charleston Parade(Jean Renoir, 1927)

This is a rather odd sci-fi short that feels really different from everything else I've watched by Renoir so far. In some kind of post-apocalyptic future, a blackfaced space explorer land in Paris and meets Catherine Hessling who keeps leering at him lasciviously and teaches him to dance. It feels mostly like a fun experiment for Renoir using special effects to make a drawing of a phone actually come to life, making a coat move and wrap itself around Hessling and so on. It's kind of fun.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:14 am

Leda wrote:
Oh, please don't feel too intimidated, in no time you will feel like you had been here always :D At least it was like that for me.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 am

The Little Match Girl (Jean Renoir, 1928)

I've always loved this little fairy tale. This short almost plays like two different films. The first half feels very realistic as it follows Catherine Hessling as the match girl peeking wistfully into restaurant windows dreaming about being in a warm space. But once she lies down in a snow trying to warm herself by lighting up her matches, it turns completely surreal. Suddenly, she's dreaming about being in a toy store where the toys come to life. This entire sequence feels like an animated film and is incredibly charming. But the sweetness of this sequence is soon followed by delirious fever dreams as the match girl falls victim to the harsh winter and starts to hallucinate about all the happiest memories she's had. The ending is particularly gorgeous and the short is really pretty great.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 am

Great person to start a thread for. :up:

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 am

Boudu Saved From Drowning (Jean Renoir, 1932)

Laugh-out-loud funny combined with one of the most amazing tours of Paris. It'd be easy to dismiss this one as broad satire but Renoir brings such compassion to every single character and does such a great job of portraying class differences with humor and empathy that it rises well above all of that for me. Michael Simon is clearly having a ball and it's just a blast watching him play Boudu.
Renoir had this to say about the film in his autobiography:
Quote:
Excuse me for talking about the technical end, but I wanted to take advantage of the fact that Michel Simon was so real, that he was a hobo among hoboes, he was all the hoboes in the world, and it was interesting to see whether all the hoboes in the world could be absorbed by the Parisian crowd. For this kind of shot, I obtained a very long lens, the kind of lens that is used in Africa to film lions from afar. But instead of filming a lion, I filmed Michel Simon. I stationed my camera in a second-floor window, so that I would be above the roofs of the cars going by, and my Michel Simon walked on the piers, through the streets of Paris, among people who didn’t notice him. And I shot many scenes like that.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am

You're becoming one of my new favorite posters, charulata.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:57 am

Mysterious F. wrote:
You're becoming one of my new favorite posters, charulata.

I bet you keep a list.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 am

Trevor wrote:

I bet you keep a list.

:shifty:

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:15 am

Mysterious F. wrote:
:shifty:

As long as I'm on it, then I'll allow you to have it.

Also, good thread.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 am

I like how you are prepared and already have a few entries. Nothing worse than being excited for a thread and then the poster either does not do it at all or gives up.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:34 am

Hey, a new person.

Hey, a good thread idea.

Jean Renoir is a pretty big under-taking, I tend to enjoy his color-era, The River, Grand CanCan always being favorites of mine.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 am

Ugh, Jean Renoir.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Also, Charulata.

This new guy has awful taste. He should go back to IMDB.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 pm

Beau, you beautiful liar you.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Charulata - who has apparently taken their username from Satyajit Ray's The Lonely Wife - can't be a female, Beau? What's with the sexist pronouns?

/Israfel

House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)

Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Immaculate wrote:
Charulata - who has apparently taken their username from Satyajit Ray's The Lonely Wife - can't be a female, Beau? What's with the sexist pronouns?

/Israfel

Charulata can be female, yes. She's allowed to be female.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:17 pm

I - miss - Izzy. Hyphens and - all.

| letterboxd

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Beau wrote:
Ugh, Jean Renoir.

this, without irony
Trip wrote:
this, without irony

this, with irony

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Beau wrote:
Charulata can be female, yes. She's allowed to be female.

Phew, Thanks. Gender reassignment etc sounded way complicated and expensive :O!

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:34 pm

charulata wrote:

Phew, Thanks. Gender reassignment etc sounded way complicated and expensive :O!

You could have gone the Israfel route: keep your sex a mystery, forever, and indulge in a steady stream of pretty Monica Vitti pictures and widescreen avatars, this last quirk kicking off a fad that only das floyd still keeps humming.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 pm

What is that, Trip? The next stage in meta-posting?

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Beau wrote:

You could have gone the Israfel route: keep your sex a mystery, forever, and indulge in a steady stream of pretty Monica Vitti pictures and widescreen avatars, this last quirk kicking off a fad that only das floyd still keeps humming.

And Trip. And Brightside. But neither of them matter.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Beau wrote:
What is that, Trip? The next stage in meta-posting?

Says the guy who once posted a dozen quote boxes inside other quote boxes (there was text but I forget what), even in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Beau wrote:
And Brightside. But he doesn't matter.

Fixed.

| letterboxd

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Trip wrote:
Says the guy who once posted a dozen quote boxes inside other quote boxes (there was text but I forget what), even in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Oh, yeah. I was experimenting back then. The wild days of my youth.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:45 pm

To be fair to me, and to demean das floyd, I've been consistently using wide avatars since the start of this forum, having had a problem with giant boxes that make posts unnecessarily large. He used circle avatars more than anything. Who let Beau speak of things about stuff?

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Trip wrote:
To be fair to me, and to demean das floyd, I've been consistently using wide avatars since the start of this forum, having had a problem with giant boxes that make posts unnecessarily large. He used circle avatars more than anything. Who let Beau speak of things about stuff?

Yes, but notice how the foot of my giant box elegantly coincides with the end of the poem in my signature. I get excited just staring at the precision.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Except the precision in question entirely depends on how long the text of my response is, which is never uniform. Okay. Anyways, so, Renoir. The guy who did Rules. Let's keep this show going!

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Beau wrote:

Yes, but notice how the foot of my giant box elegantly coincides with the end of the poem in my signature. I get excited just staring at the precision.

At no point does it ever do this. The poem extends beyond the foot of your giant box almost every time. You use some sort of text zoom browser feature, I recall.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Trip wrote:

I'm free with my avatar shapes, unlike you, you stringent, narrow minded wide avatar purist.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:00 pm

I wouldn't say I'm a Renoir fan, but I'll keep an eye out for something interesting since it has been awhile.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 pm
Profile WWW

Sweet thread :up:

I have only seen a couple of Renoir's films, so I won't be able to comment much, but I will be reading.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:06 am

Beau wrote:

Hilarious. :P

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:17 am

New thread!

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:43 am
Profile WWW

I've never seen a Renoir film and I'm a compulsive non-completist, so this is like entering another world where nothing makes sense. But I ain't so dense as to fail to notice that it's a new thread, a worthwhile new thread in fact, and I'm aware that you cannot be a reputable poster until you've made a worthwhile thread. Right, Jedi?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:34 am

Circus Freak wrote:
I've never seen a Renoir film and I'm a compulsive non-completist, so this is like entering another world where nothing makes sense. But I ain't so dense as to fail to notice that it's a new thread, a worthwhile new thread in fact, and I'm aware that you cannot be a reputable poster until you've made a worthwhile thread. Right, Jedi?

Pfft, like Jedi would know.

Nextprojection.com

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:35 am

Circus Freak wrote:

Speaking of which, weren't you working on a thread?

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:38 am
Profile WWW

ban jedi

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:38 am

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Speaking of which, weren't you working on a thread?

No, I was attempting to germinate potentially tenable ideas whilst weighing up the advantages and disadvantages of moving out of disrepute, which is a rather comfy house.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next