It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339  Next
 The YMCA Club 

Which social thread has the worst group of people?
Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:42 pm
hamsterdam 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
m&m 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 22

The YMCA Club 
Post Re: The YMCA Club

The Nameless One wrote:
Yeah, the final few episodes were excellent and touched on some resonant stuff

The universal language thing seems to be a theme in a lot of stuff, that was all very Arrival. Aliens too I guess were pretty Arrival. The scene with Dunst in the freezer hurt, I feel her there, they painted a realistic portrait of shock induced psychosis with her. That was a big gang war, yeesh, funny how they made a conflict in small town Minnesota seem more epic and biblical than Narcos s3 and the Cali cartel. This season felt a lot more natural than season 1 with Billy Bob Thornton playing Thanatos. I need to dig into Sisyphus

You should see what Hawley did with Legion. I havent delved into Fargo S3 too much yet but I will soon.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:42 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
You should see what Hawley did with Legion. I havent delved into Fargo S3 too much yet but I will soon.
Ewan McGregor plays twins so woo hoo. Legion is on my list but Netflix seems awfully stingy with its selection right now. Where is Fargo s3

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 am

S3 has some A+ Ray Wise content.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:11 am

Smoke Bomb wrote:
S3 has some A+ Ray Wise content.
Wow, this will lead iin perfectly to TWIN PEAKS. Whoddathunk

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:05 am

So what are the must-have services?

Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, HULU, whatever crap Disney is about to put out, YouTubeRed?

This is starting to look like paying for cable channels all-over again. And just in time for the end of net neutrality so streaming may get even more expensive.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, HULU, whatever crap Disney is about to put out, YouTubeRed?

This is starting to look like paying for cable channels all-over again. And just in time for the end of net neutrality so streaming may get even more expensive.
I'm looking into that one (???) with all those Criterion movies

There really needs to be a unified tv channel app of sorts for all the different services because it all feels very fractured. Like, who offers what and where do the selections cross over. Streaming sucks right now in it's drive for exclusive content. It's hard relying on streaming services to keep up with shows because apparently people still watch normal TV like weirdos so we have Netflix busting out seasons along with all the weekly airs and it's SO MUCH

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 am

Netflix used to be awesome because it was a unifier of content, a one-stop-shop. By pivoting to original content and shedding tons of titles, they're become dividers, moving from lumping to splitting. It's as if they killed cable so that they could become cable.

So goes the dynastic cycle of new tech platforms. Democratizing and empowering until the big players figure out how to fence it in, monetize it, and steer it.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:31 am

Netflix started making original content cause they saw the writing on the wall, that the big boys were gonna start pulling their stuff for their own streaming services, and Netflix didn't want to be left as the owners of a zoo with no animals in it.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:21 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
Netflix started making original content cause they saw the writing on the wall, that the big boys were gonna start pulling their stuff for their own streaming services, and Netflix didn't want to be left as the owners of a zoo with no animals in it.

Good point.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:33 am

They bought a zoo.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:33 am
Profile YIM

Depends on what you consider a must-have, I suppose; me, I haven't had cable in four years, and I don't currently have any video service subscriptions besides Youtube Red, since I watch so much stuff there, and I like the no ads/being able to download videos for offline viewing, in case your connection goes down (which mine does, all too often). I did used to have Netflix, Prime, Hulu & HBONow and whatever else because I was watching so much TV at the time, but my tastes changed, I suppose (good news for my bank account, though!).
Ace wrote:
They bought a zoo.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 am

Sprague offered this up on Kateland, one of the only external notices that I've seen for the RT forums' demise.

A little meta reading about dead forums on an unknown forum (more of a gaming thing, I take it), and the resulting arguments over why forums are still superior to the clustertrees of reddit and twitter threads. My favorite comment is the one which claimed that RT and IMDb's forums were worse "than Reddit and 4Chan put together". I might disagree, except how can I argue against Ilovehotmoms?

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:30 am

If the negative reception to Olaf's Frozen Adventure is keeping you from seeing Coco, you're in luck:

http://www.slashfilm.com/frozen-short-removed-from-coco/

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:33 am

Torgo wrote:
If the negative reception to Olaf's Frozen Adventure is keeping you from seeing Coco, you're in luck:

http://www.slashfilm.com/frozen-short-removed-from-coco/

Yeah, I'm hoping the theater closest to me follows along, I went to see it yesterday and realized this was happening from a posted sign saying it was a 20 min short before the movie. Annoyed, I payed to see JL again.

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sprague offered this up on Kateland, one of the only external notices that I've seen for the RT forums' demise.

A little meta reading about dead forums on an unknown forum (more of a gaming thing, I take it), and the resulting arguments over why forums are still superior to the clustertrees of reddit and twitter threads. My favorite comment is the one which claimed that RT and IMDb's forums were worse "than Reddit and 4Chan put together". I might disagree, except how can I argue against Ilovehotmoms?
Aw, another forum talking about RT:

Please forgive the unintentional Hazel bait, guys.
topherH wrote:

Yeah, I'm hoping the theater closest to me follows along, I went to see it yesterday and realized this was happening from a posted sign saying it was a 20 min short before the movie. Annoyed, I payed to see JL again.
I just showed up late to my screening, and only had to sit through the last 5 minutes of it, plus that obnoxious, self-congratulatory commercial Pixar placed after it for some reason. Better that than what you did, paying like a sucker to see the worst movie I've seen all year... again.

:shifty:

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Stu wrote:
Aw, another forum talking about RT:

Please forgive the unintentional Hazel bait, guys.
I just showed up late to my screening, and only had to sit through the last 5 minutes of it, plus that obnoxious, self-congratulatory commercial Pixar placed after it for some reason. Better that than what you did, paying like a sucker to see the worst movie I've seen all year... again.

:shifty:

I'd pay again if we get Snyder's cut.

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

topherH wrote:

I'd pay again if we get Snyder's cut.
*look of disapproving disbelief*

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:33 pm

I went in at 10:45 to see Coco. I got out at 1:30 am.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:27 pm
Profile YIM

You said it was a good movie, I've got no choice but to see it now

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

Great link JJ. About forum life, I've been a member of a (still very active) forum since '99. A Detroit Lions forum if you can believe that. Still many posters from that era still use the boards today and if that one dies, an era is truly over.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm still a member of a Star Wars collecting forum although since I don't collect Star Wars stuff anymore, I don't post as frequently....

but yeah bummer that the outlook for forums in general is pretty grim. I'm kinda glad I was able to see RT at its peak when I had my first account in '06 but wasn't knowledgeable enough to join in on most of the conversations (one exception: Star Wars!).

and he certainly did.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Remember Impavido from RT? He was in town last night. We drank, we laughed. Great guy.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Remember Impavido from RT? He was in town last night. We drank, we laughed. Great guy.
Awesome! He's one of the coolest people I met on RT. His Facebook posts always make me laugh.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:09 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:

I hope he's still making films.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:13 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I hope he's still making films.
Wait, Imp made movies? Like, short student films like MKS, or working on big-budget Hollywood stuff like Atomic Cow?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:31 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I may or may not be going to Vegas round the 21st. Seems a bit much considering my recent diagnosis, like, here you go mr paranoid psychosis, the very heart of the American dream. I think that's a trip I need to wait a year for and focus on realligning reality.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:43 am

Stu wrote:
Wait, Imp made movies? Like, short student films like MKS, or working on big-budget Hollywood stuff like Atomic Cow?

Short films for festivals, I think. And I think he may have been a focus puller or something on bigger films.

But RT is deleted so I could be making all of this up. Mandela!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:46 am

I've never seen a single one of his movies. I would probably watch one.

Has anyone ever seen Alan Patridge? Great show, it's a precursor to a lot of cringe comedy that came out in the 2000's.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:02 am

Joss Whedon wrote:
I've never seen a single one of his movies. I would probably watch one.

If only I could get the link. Maybe someone who knows his name can find it on youtube, although I have a distinct memory that the film I saw was on vimeo. It was a short thriller involving a knife and a bathtub and possibly some mistaken memory.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:13 am

I was funnier sober

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 am

Hey this Logan is shaping up nice. I'm glad I didn't get spoiled too hard because I sure didn't see this coming in a good way

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:19 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
I may or may not be going to Vegas round the 21st. Seems a bit much considering my recent diagnosis, like, here you go mr paranoid psychosis, the very heart of the American dream. I think that's a trip I need to wait a year for and focus on realligning reality.

Well, I'll be around if you come down here.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Well, I'll be around if you come down here.
I'm out on this go around but I want to go sometime in 2018. Seems like a big esports arena is opening up so I can make money betting on smash bros matches

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Logan
"wait, you can talk!?"

This is such a dad movie. Logan Wolf and Cub. I had no idea the story beats so this is a treat. I love Wolverine and this is worthy

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Impavido is a good dude.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Logan > Birdman

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Quentin Tarantino Star Trek?

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tar ... 202220032/

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Looks like we're not getting his next film until 2019. Who knows if Star Trek will ever happen.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:

Nice. He seems cool.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:55 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Logan > Birdman

Nah, but I like both and am glad I saw them on the big screen. Thor 3 is rad, btw.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:56 pm

ski petrol wrote:
Looks like we're not getting his next film until 2019. Who knows if Star Trek will ever happen.

A QT Star Trek is just a little too far out there to ever happen. The idea seems to parody itself too much. It would probably be horrible, but there is a small chance that it could be the best thing ever.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:09 pm

It would be a good film for sure. Tarantino has yet to make a bad film in my opinion

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Interesting smash-up.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 pm

John Dumbear wrote:

Interesting smash-up.

I still like Badger's (Breaking Bad) idea for a Star Trek episode.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 am

MadMan wrote:
Nah, but I like both and am glad I saw them on the big screen. Thor 3 is rad, btw.
Birdman 7/10 Logan 7.5/10

ooooo here comes the roooooster, yeeeeeeaheaaa

THOR RAGNAROK > Logan and Birdman

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 am

I'm getting evicted from my apartment. I knew I couldn't afford it

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Birdman 7/10 Logan 7.5/10

ooooo here comes the roooooster, yeeeeeeaheaaa

THOR RAGNAROK > Logan and Birdman
Logan is still my #2 of the year, and I was really impressed by its sort of dark, emotional honest that, is not only rare in superhero films, but in film period, so I wasn't quite as into Ragnarok as it, but I still had a pretty good time with Thor; admittedly, it could've been better if Waititi had been able to make its occasional dramatic moment land with more impact (the first scene with the real Odin didn't move me as much as it should've), and if the Asgaard-based material had been as interesting as all the shenanigans on Sakaar, but it was still a fairly fun, colorful, and creative entry in the MCU, and definitely the best Thor movie we've gotten to date.

I still like Badger's (Breaking Bad) idea for a Star Trek episode.
Me too:

:D

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Joss Whedon wrote:
I'm getting evicted from my apartment. I knew I couldn't afford it
Aw, fuck Joss :( Is there anything we can do to help you? Like, do you have a Paypal or any other way we could chip something in to help, I hope?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Stu wrote:
Aw, fuck Joss :( Is there anything we can do to help you? Like, do you have a Paypal or any other way we could chip something in to help, I hope?

It's about 500. Way too much to ask for.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Joss Whedon wrote:
It's about 500. Way too much to ask for.
Maybe as a regular thing, but if there's anything we can do to help you out at this time in the short-term, just please, let us know, okay? If I can, I want to help out any way possible.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339  Next