It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139
 The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are. 
Post Re: The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are.

They sort of cover that in the current Spider-Man books. Where they start dealing with multiple universes. So we meet older Spider-Men/Woman who are still Spiders and then they also have Spider-Kids and such.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:23 pm
Profile YIM

Gort wrote:
I have often thought that it would be interesting for Parker to become middle aged or even slightly past that point, and still be trying to be Spider Man. I think DC has done that with Bruce Wayne and his alter ego. Maybe Marvel has done that -- "Aging Avengers" or some such and I haven't heard about it. And of course the aging Spider Man would want a protege, although that person wouldn't have to be either male or have spider powers. But you can easily imagine the interesting tales they could come up with if he tried to make a younger spidey out of a kid, right?
They have done the past-their-prime thing with Batman before, yes, and a really good superhero movie with that sort of concept just came out this year, even; the thing is, I doubt the generally reliable-but-still-always-playing-it-safe Marvelverse of films would ever take that big of a risk in their universe, especially with what is now arguably their most recognizable character, the one they're grooming to be the next leader of The Avengers. Even if Holland ends up sticking around in the role longer than Jackman did with Wolverine, and ages for decades naturally in real life, in their current state, I have to doubt the MCU would ever make a Spidey movie that ever deals with (or even significantly acknowledge) him having any sort of aging, mid-life superhero crisis, which is a shame, since that sort of concept has produced great superhero stories beforehand, and seems necessary to do so at a certain point in order make the genre more mature thematically and emotionally, and make sure they don't essentially just stay as popcorn entertainment for most of the whole family, y'know? I know keeping their cashcow basically the same forever has to be tempting, but the Marvel movies have gotta grow up someday, I'm hoping.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 am

So the Marvel multiverse is covering the idea. That's a pretty good way to use a multiverse, I guess.

And I was thinking of Logan when I pondered the interesting notion of a 52-year old Peter Parker. So, maybe. In the comics.

I think Stu's right, not in the movies. I don't think they've had an old Batman in the movies, unless in the animated ones. Oh, wait. There is the TV series that's set in the future where a younger guy takes on the mantle, and Bruce is his mentor. I didn't watch all of it, though.

Nah, Holland can't stay with Spidey for that long. Spider Man might lose his panache if he got to be 35.

And, Ace, how many different alternate universe Spideys have you read? Do you get to still ply the pages of the comics? Is Miles Morales one of them? I think I've read that they're going to introduce him to the MCU in the near future...in some way. I may have only dreamed that, though. Or mis-remembered (or mis-interpreted) something that I read on IO9.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Gort wrote:
So the Marvel multiverse is covering the idea. That's a pretty good way to use a multiverse, I guess.

And I was thinking of Logan when I pondered the interesting notion of a 52-year old Peter Parker. So, maybe. In the comics.

I think Stu's right, not in the movies. I don't think they've had an old Batman in the movies, unless in the animated ones. Oh, wait. There is the TV series that's set in the future where a younger guy takes on the mantle, and Bruce is his mentor. I didn't watch all of it, though.

Nah, Holland can't stay with Spidey for that long. Spider Man might lose his panache if he got to be 35.

And, Ace, how many different alternate universe Spideys have you read? Do you get to still ply the pages of the comics? Is Miles Morales one of them? I think I've read that they're going to introduce him to the MCU in the near future...in some way. I may have only dreamed that, though. Or mis-remembered (or mis-interpreted) something that I read on IO9.

Miles has his own book and it's <3. I think they merged the Ultimate Universe with the regular universe a while back. Or at least Miles crossed over.
If you want a bunch of alternate Spider-Men/Woman, start with Spider-Verse. Introduces you to them. And a few of them get their own book. Spider-Gween is a great idea and reverses the Spidey mythos. Also that universe is so cool with a bunch of alternate history (alternate Marvel history). She also crosses over with Miles Morales, Silk, and Spider-Woman at different times.Then you have Web Warriors which is basically a bunch of Spiders teaming up to save the multiverse. I love that one too. Because it gives a few of the Spiders we met in Spider-Verse a chance to shine.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:47 am
Profile YIM

Gort wrote:

Well, yeah; that's part of the appeal of doing an "aging superhero" story in the first place. :D But in all seriousness, I don't necessarily want Marvel to do multiple films in a row that deal with a middle-aged, or even an old Spider-Man still trying to sling webs and whatnot, but I think eventually, doing at least one movie where he's dealing with aging and is doubting what he's accomplished fighting crime in NYC, and maybe he tries to groom a new protege to take his place, would be nice. The character shouldn't just be forever young like he has been to date onscreen, y'know.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:40 am

Super-powers and forever young.

Aren't those two popular fantasies? :D

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 am

Tutoring people in English as a second language has helped me understand a great deal about the English language that I never really analyzed before. But the language I grew up learning to speak isn't the only area where I have sudden realizations.

For all my life I've been putting ice cubes into warm liquids to make them cool. For all my life I've stirred the ice cubes, and watched them melt as the sides of the glass would become colder and colder.

It never occurred to me to formulate the question, "Where does the heat energy go?" When I thought of that question a few moments ago, it tripped me up. Because I was trying to think of it in terms of physical movement. This is essentially what the discredited caloric theory was based on. The movement of a fluid, called Caloric, that carried heat, from one place to another.

When I finally realized that the heat energy doesn't go anywhere, I was able to answer my question. The heat energy merely transfers from the hotter substance, the coffee I was making into iced coffee, into the ice cubes. The heat energy doesn't change at all. In fact, its only function, if you want to call it that, is to cause a change of state. The water in the ice cubes is heated up by this transfer, attains the temperature of 0°C and becomes very cold liquid water. The heat energy to do that comes from the liquid coffee.

But in fact it doesn't go anywhere, it merely transfers from one mass to another. It is all still there in the now-iced coffee. Freaky and wonderful.

The understanding is new to my head, of course, so my explanation is not as clear in written language as it is in the wordless realm of my thoughts.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:08 am

Gort wrote:
Tutoring people in English as a second language has helped me understand a great deal about the English language that I never really analyzed before. But the language I grew up learning to speak isn't the only area where I have sudden realizations.

For all my life I've been putting ice cubes into warm liquids to make them cool. For all my life I've stirred the ice cubes, and watched them melt as the sides of the glass would become colder and colder.

It never occurred to me to formulate the question, "Where does the heat energy go?" When I thought of that question a few moments ago, it tripped me up. Because I was trying to think of it in terms of physical movement. This is essentially what the discredited caloric theory was based on. The movement of a fluid, called Caloric, that carried heat, from one place to another.

When I finally realized that the heat energy doesn't go anywhere, I was able to answer my question. The heat energy merely transfers from the hotter substance, the coffee I was making into iced coffee, into the ice cubes. The heat energy doesn't change at all. In fact, its only function, if you want to call it that, is to cause a change of state. The water in the ice cubes is heated up by this transfer, attains the temperature of 0°C and becomes very cold liquid water. The heat energy to do that comes from the liquid coffee.

But in fact it doesn't go anywhere, it merely transfers from one mass to another. It is all still there in the now-iced coffee. Freaky and wonderful.

The understanding is new to my head, of course, so my explanation is not as clear in written language as it is in the wordless realm of my thoughts.

Anyone else have experiences like this?
All of that kind of reminds me of the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis, which was featured in one of my favorite movies from 2016, Arrival; are you familiar with it (either the theory, or the movie), Gort?

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:30 pm

Stu wrote:
All of that kind of reminds me of the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis, which was featured in one of my favorite movies from 2016, Arrival; are you familiar with it (either the theory, or the movie), Gort?

I believe the idea was raised in both my university Cultural Anthropology, and Logic texts. But even before I reached college I wondered on my own if language somehow restricted a person's understanding of the world around them. It was gratifying to see that "greater thinkers" than I was, had also thought of the same goofy things. Kind of made me seem less weird to myself, you know?

That was one of the benefits of university studies: to learn that there were others who walked around this earth wondering things and trying to explain things. At my working-class high school I was a freak as far as most of the students were concerned, and because the teachers were pleased to have an ultra-curious student many of the other kids viewed me as a suck-up. I was so misunderstood! :D

I can't say that I am "familiar" with the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis. I'm fairly certain that I didn't retain that name for it, if it was even presented in the texts. Thanks for the link. I learned more about it than I had known (or more than I recollected, anyway).

And I have not yet had the opportunity to watch Arrival, although I've seen the trailer and I read several reviews when it came out. It looks interesting. I like it when the main characters are scientists, and when scientists of the same discipline admire the character as presented. Naturally, along with the "that's a pretty good depiction of a linguist" came all the minuscule corrections of what she would/would not have done/said.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 pm

This afternoon was spent watching Titanic (1997). Fourth viewing, I think. First in 3D.

(Theater, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray 3D. As I said, I think that's all my viewings of this one.)

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:49 am

Gort wrote:
This afternoon was spent watching Titanic (1997). Fourth viewing, I think. First in 3D.

(Theater, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray 3D. As I said, I think that's all my viewings of this one.)
It's been almost 20 years since I watched Titanic at the tender age of 10-ish, and though I don't remember much about it, I don't have all that much interest in ever watching it again (sappy love stories, man), but still, I'm curious... how did it hold up for you?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:02 am

Stu wrote:
(sappy love stories, man), but still, I'm curious... how did it hold up for you?

It is still highly melodramatic, overblown, factually inconsistent, too self-absorbed. The villains are too villainy, and the good people are all in steerage. The casting baffles me a little. The CGI still holds up better than I thought it would at 20 years. It's tedious and over-long.

And fun for me to watch once in a while. In this case I just wanted to see the 3D. And certain scenes are enhanced by dimensionality. Overall, though, the 3D effect in the film is subtle.

Remember, one of my favorite films is that total stinker, Reptilicus.

And I won't watch The Godfather because they cannot possibly show me anything that I had not already seen on TV and in cheesy gangster movies by 1972, when it came out.

BioSPASM once convinced me to watch Raging Bull, which suffers from the same "I've seen it all before"-ness. Overall, I was personally correct to have avoided the film for as long as I did. It is probably a great film. It is certainly well-made. But it offered me nothing that I hadn't seen on dozens of 1950's and 1960's TV shows! And I found it something to watch only once.

The famous prison movie that continues to reside at the IMDb 250's top post, had no surprises for me and was as flaccid an experience as I had ever had. But others love it. Obviously, more IMDb viewers love it than any other movie. Ever made. Ever.

So how could you value my opinion at all?

As for Titanic, there isn't another format for Cameron to port it over to, except maybe VR. How he could do that escapes me. So I might well have seen Titanic for my last time. :)

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 am

Aight!

Both my sons are working, starting tomorrow.

One for a startup company that makes a mobile game (second month in that endeavor). The other for a large company's gaming division (beginning Monday).

Yay!

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 am

Can you say which gaming companies? Was your son part of the EA shut down of Visceral games?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Can you say which gaming companies? Was your son part of the EA shut down of Visceral games?

Don't know the name of one of the companies (the startup). The other one isn't thought of as a game company at all. He'll be working on their gaming engine, I think. But they do have a couple of games.

Neither is EA. Neither is Visceral.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 am

Congrats on your sons' good fortune, YTMN!

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Neat. I only said Visceral because I think it was one of the last few studios located in San Francisco.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:42 pm
Profile YIM

Well, neither son is living in San Francisco any more.

One is in LA County, the other is in Orange County.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 am

Neat. Both of those have some big studios there. I think Sony's big two are there.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139