It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 7108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143  Next
 The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are. 
Post Re: The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are.

Gort wrote:
Well, Stu and Hank, I spent an hour this morning signing up for US SSA benefits.

I'm probably the first on the Corrie to do that.

Well I haven't done it, so there's that. I am on that side of 35 though.

I'm sorry about the Photobucket non-sense. Your threads were always something that I enjoyed! I just looked back at my only two threads that I've ever created here (links in my sig): Four Square and Inspired By... to see what was left of them. It seems that when I "revived" Inspired By... I used Photobucket. Darn. Initially, I had used Flickr. Those images are still in place. When I brought the thread back to life, Flickr had made finding the embed url so frustrating to get to that I switched to Photobucket for ease of use. I should've stuck with Flickr. I don't even remember what I used to host Four Square. Both threads were fun to make but feel like an eternity ago. I still have some of the original pieces that I created for Inspired By... although not that many.

I have had no real desire to make any new threads, but I am still proud of the two I made.

Now I start thinking about the first time I ever got the thrill of running a game in a forum. Geez. Over a dozen years ago methinks.The 2k Crew contest over at RT. Good times.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

No one with four children has time to do a thread at the Corrie or anywhere else.

I was struggling to find time to finish the Remake Rematch Round Four posts as my mother's dementia (thank God at least not Alzheimer's dementia) has slowly worsened. She needs more constant care. I hope to be able to work another two years so that I can save all that SSA money against the future, and then live on SSA with the "supplement" being the savings.

I would have completed the Round if the Photobucket fiasco hadn't stopped me. Ha! I was reading some of the .webarchive files that I saved of each page over the years as I slowly created the Rematch thread, and on more than one occasion I boasted that only death would stop me from finishing Round Four. Ridiculous. It certainly shows me to be a man with less than robust imagination, is all I can say. :D

I enjoyed your two threads, as well. :heart: The game thread ended with me (incredibly!) winning something, so I got the Gort drawing from you. And I was able to snag one of the Inspired By... drawings which I now look at in its frame on my wall each day.

I'm not sure whether I'd ever start another thread. Maybe if I park the images on my own URL and link to them. That way if they ever vanished it would be because of a financial decision that I made, rather than Capitalist Piracy executed by a rogue player such as Photobucket.

I enjoy every instance of getting to correspond with you in the Corrie. It was heartbreaking for you to become a nearly constant lurker, absent from the discussions. But I raised a mere two children once upon a time, and all I can say is, "Man, I understand!"

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 am

WELL... here's the thing... I have 5 kids now! We've had a 4th adoption. My daughter really wanted a sister. So, the final tally is 3 boys (11, 8, 4) and 2 girls (8, 9). The newest is the 9 year old and is non-verbal, autistic with fragile x. She is currently laughing and rubbing her hands through my beard as I type this! She came from a really rough situation where she was neglected, abused and her bio parents are now serving life sentences for killing her brother. She had two failed adoptions before moving in with us last Easter. Our adoption became official at the end of November. She has been a blessing to our home. We're all full now though! :D

Sorry to hear of your mother's dementia worsening. My grandfather went through that. It's tough. It was very hard for my kids to understand. Heck... it might have been harder for me to comprehend now that I think about it.

I once swore something similar about the Inspired By... thread! Equally Ridiculous. :P

Who knows, maybe I'll start to post more. I was curious as to how you were doing, which is why I checked out this thread earlier today. I do need some down time after I put the kids to bed! I miss talking to people about movies.... I miss watching movies sometimes too! I still log my watches in the Trends feature here, but my numbers are down and loaded up with kids films! I've only logged 15 this year. But with that said, my wife and I have been carving out some date nights because we found a 19 year old crazy enough to watch our kids for 3 hours once a week! So, we've seen The Disaster Artist, I, Tonya, The Big Sick and Black Panther... that is a lot of movies in the theaters for me and it looks like it might continue throughout the year!

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
WELL... here's the thing... I have 5 kids now! We've had a 4th adoption. My daughter really wanted a sister. So, the final tally is 3 boys (11, 8, 4) and 2 girls (8, 9). The newest is the 9 year old and is non-verbal, autistic with fragile x. She is currently laughing and rubbing her hands through my beard as I type this! She came from a really rough situation where she was neglected, abused and her bio parents are now serving life sentences for killing her brother. She had two failed adoptions before moving in with us last Easter. Our adoption became official at the end of November. She has been a blessing to our home. We're all full now though! :D

I am not surprised that you did this. You're a very admirable young couple. I was so proud when I learned that you had fostered three brothers to give them the most normal condition for siblings: being able to grow up together in the same family. Many couples, although endowed with enormous big hearts might turn away from such a gift. And I was so pleased when the third adoption went through. It will be a long time before they can even comprehend what you have done. Your eldest son is nearing the age where it will become clear to him, though.

And this fifth child is so lucky that you have her.

You may have noticed that I have mentioned a movie entitled The Black Balloon a few times. It has an autistic young man character who is based on the writer-director's brothers, both of whom are autistic.

I don't really figure you'd want to see it. After all, you and Mrs Hank know much more about autism by this point than most people will ever suspect. But in future years you might want to give it a look.

I recently checked a book out of the library because it is about foster families. Specifically, three bio siblings who didn't know about one another. But they meet, Grace, Maya and Joaquin. The girls have been adopted as infants. Joaquin, who is 17, has had 17 different foster families in his childhood life. Joaquin lives with an older couple who never could have children. He's been with them almost three years, and they have offered to adopt him if it's okay with him. He hesitates, of course. The bio sibs go in search of their bio Mom because Grace has had a child out of wedlock, and has given her up for adoption right out of the delivery room. Her understanding of their mother is vastly different from her bio sibs' take on the situation. The novel, Far from the Tree by Robin Benway is a page-turner, and is guaranteed to jerk a few tears from your eyes. Both happy and sad ones. But it is a very well-told tale.

Hank wrote:
Sorry to hear of your mother's dementia worsening. My grandfather went through that. It's tough. It was very hard for my kids to understand. Heck... it might have been harder for me to comprehend now that I think about it.

Thank you for the kind thoughts. In some ways dealing with it isn't as bad now as it seemed at first. Once I finally learned that she asks the same question ten times in an hour simply because she doesn't remember asking me before, I just answer it every time as if it's the first time she's asked. My nephew has a harder time of it, but even he has begun to understand her plight. She was his legal guardian alongside my father when the boy was a year old. So even though his father lived here at the time, his father actually had no parental say in his rearing beyond what my parents would allow.

My mom somewhat resents having had to give her expected empty nest years over to raising the two grandsons that my brother gave her. She always talked as if she were the only grandparent in that situation. I finally showed her an internet article that pointed out that according to US Census figures, 40% of children in the US are being raised by their grandparents. She was very far away from being the only one. But that doesn't say anything terrific about the parents who left it up to grandparents to raise the kids, I guess.

I've probably told you all this before.

Hank wrote:
I once swore something similar about the Inspired By... thread! Equally Ridiculous. :P

Who knows, maybe I'll start to post more. I was curious as to how you were doing, which is why I checked out this thread earlier today. I do need some down time after I put the kids to bed! I miss talking to people about movies.... I miss watching movies sometimes too! I still log my watches in the Trends feature here, but my numbers are down and loaded up with kids films! I've only logged 15 this year. But with that said, my wife and I have been carving out some date nights because we found a 19 year old crazy enough to watch our kids for 3 hours once a week! So, we've seen The Disaster Artist, I, Tonya, The Big Sick and Black Panther... that is a lot of movies in the theaters for me and it looks like it might continue throughout the year!

This is progress. Your crazy 19-year old babysitter is just what you need. And taking a little time to be just the two of you together is very important to the well-being of the five most important people in your lives, too.

Another thing I think I've written to you before is how many good films I discovered when my kids got to the age to watch them. These were family movies that I had felt I was too mature to see until that point. Nowadays, although my guys are 31 and 35 years old, and my youngest nephew is 24, I still watch those films if I think they might be interesting. Some of them stink, but there are a lot of good ones.

I remain in touch with my inner child. I discovered Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street on Amazon Prime Video, and it's rife with nostalgia for me. It's the kind of stories that I liked when I was around 12 or 13 years old. And it just gives me an unexpected connection to the pre-teen within who has been covered up by decade upon decade of more mature experiences. In other words, this series allows me to tap into the same sense of wonder that I kept around all the time when I was a middle-schooler! How it does this I can't explain. It's more or less alone in that category. But the show-runners manage to reach me there with almost every episode. It's amazing. Without having gone through the showing-my-kids-movies-they-would-enjoy years, I probably would never have watched it.

It's good to talk to you again. You were still logged on when I began this reply, but you might be gone now.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:59 am

I'm sorry to hear that about your mom, Gort :( I hope you two can make it all right through this troubled time; if you need any kind of emotional support, don't be afraid to ask me, okay?

Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:32 pm

My boss. His his girlfriend has Huntington's disease which I would liken to dementia sort of. She's losing mobility and her mind is just going. Like her mind has has gotten to the point where she's like a child. She cant go to the bathroom, be alone, or just do anything. It's really tough for my boss because he hast to take her of her and such. But it's really become a burden on him when he's trying to work and she's like a child. It's hard. Her mind comes and goes. And the drugs don't really seem to be helping. Such a sad situation.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:52 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
My boss. His his girlfriend has Huntington's disease which I would liken to dementia sort of. She's losing mobility and her mind is just going. Like her mind has has gotten to the point where she's like a child. She cant go to the bathroom, be alone, or just do anything. It's really tough for my boss because he hast to take her of her and such. But it's really become a burden on him when he's trying to work and she's like a child. It's hard. Her mind comes and goes. And the drugs don't really seem to be helping. Such a sad situation.

I looked this up in Wikipedia. I've heard about it all my life, but haven't ever met anyone with it. According to the encyclopedia it is an inherited condition!
Wikipedia wrote:
Huntington's disease (HD), also known as Huntington's chorea, is an inherited disorder that results in death of brain cells.[4] The earliest symptoms are often subtle problems with mood or mental abilities.[1] A general lack of coordination and an unsteady gait often follow.[2] As the disease advances, uncoordinated, jerky body movements become more apparent.[1] Physical abilities gradually worsen until coordinated movement becomes difficult and the person is unable to talk.[1][2] Mental abilities generally decline into dementia.[3] The specific symptoms vary somewhat between people.[1] Symptoms usually begin between 30 and 50 years of age, but can start at any age.[4][3] The disease may develop earlier in life in each successive generation.[1] About eight percent of cases start before the age of 20 years and typically present with symptoms more similar to Parkinson's disease.[3] People with HD often underestimate the degree of their problems.[1]

HD is typically inherited from a person's parents, although up to 10% of cases are due to a new mutation.[1] The disease is caused by an autosomal dominant mutation in either of an individual's two copies of a gene called Huntingtin.[4] This means a child of an affected person typically has a 50% chance of inheriting the disease.[4]

It sounds horrible to deal with. I've met a man with Parkinson's. In the 1970s he and his wife stopped by to visit my paternal grandparents while we were visiting them, too. His mind seemed okay, but he coulnd't sit still or stop his palsy.

I was unaware that dementia accompanied Huntington's. Also, I had no idea that it's hereditary. That might not have been known when I was in pre-med studies.

Tell him a stranger from the internet offers sympathy.

The Future Unreels

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:20 pm

Stu wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that about your mom, Gort :( I hope you two can make it all right through this troubled time; if you need any kind of emotional support, don't be afraid to ask me, okay?

I think we'll make it fine. We are for now, anyway. I just don't know how soon her condition will require me to be here almost all the time. Her condition isn't the sort that would require a home care nurse, so unless I spend all her savings to hire one, there's no one who can be here with her during the day when I have to be gone to work. Insurance won't cover it the way it did with my father when he had lung cancer.

Yesterday morning before I headed to church she got her AM medicine out and into her pill box to take after eating breakfast. Yesterday afternoon she wondered aloud about her pills. I had noticed that the pill box was sitting atop the Saturday end of the weekly pill-keeper. So I shook it and found out that she hadn't remembered to take the pills after putting them into the box. She took them at 2PM, but the change in time of day really confused her. It took several minutes of gentle cajoling to get her to swallow them. She first had to figure out for herself what was going on, and that she was taking the correct pills.

Thanks for the offer, Stu. I'll turn to you for sure if I sense the need.

She's had what are called "primary tremors" since she was in her late 50s. The tremors are one reason I hear her say almost daily, "Getting old is no fun." She was always 100% self-sufficient (at least in her own mind) and now that she cannot cook, or clean the house or yard, or stand to shower, or remember whether she had breakfast or was awake and up earlier in the day, it's pretty lousy for her, I imagine.

But so many elderly people are in much worse condition at age 88, and their care-givers have a lot more trouble taking care of them.

The Future Unreels

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Gort wrote:
I am not surprised that you did this. You're a very admirable young couple. I was so proud when I learned that you had fostered three brothers to give them the most normal condition for siblings: being able to grow up together in the same family. Many couples, although endowed with enormous big hearts might turn away from such a gift. And I was so pleased when the third adoption went through. It will be a long time before they can even comprehend what you have done. Your eldest son is nearing the age where it will become clear to him, though.

And this fifth child is so lucky that you have her.

You may have noticed that I have mentioned a movie entitled The Black Balloon a few times. It has an autistic young man character who is based on the writer-director's brothers, both of whom are autistic.

I don't really figure you'd want to see it. After all, you and Mrs Hank know much more about autism by this point than most people will ever suspect. But in future years you might want to give it a look.

I recently checked a book out of the library because it is about foster families. Specifically, three bio siblings who didn't know about one another. But they meet, Grace, Maya and Joaquin. The girls have been adopted as infants. Joaquin, who is 17, has had 17 different foster families in his childhood life. Joaquin lives with an older couple who never could have children. He's been with them almost three years, and they have offered to adopt him if it's okay with him. He hesitates, of course. The bio sibs go in search of their bio Mom because Grace has had a child out of wedlock, and has given her up for adoption right out of the delivery room. Her understanding of their mother is vastly different from her bio sibs' take on the situation. The novel, Far from the Tree by Robin Benway is a page-turner, and is guaranteed to jerk a few tears from your eyes. Both happy and sad ones. But it is a very well-told tale.

I'm interested in both of these recommendations. I do most of my "reading" in the car to and from work via audiobooks right now or sitting in the hall between the kids bedrooms each night- but I do have one at bedside. Currently Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan is there, but perhaps Far from the Tree will be the next book to occupy that spot. It is currently checked in and available at the local library.

Gort wrote:
Thank you for the kind thoughts. In some ways dealing with it isn't as bad now as it seemed at first. Once I finally learned that she asks the same question ten times in an hour simply because she doesn't remember asking me before, I just answer it every time as if it's the first time she's asked. My nephew has a harder time of it, but even he has begun to understand her plight. She was his legal guardian alongside my father when the boy was a year old. So even though his father lived here at the time, his father actually had no parental say in his rearing beyond what my parents would allow.

My mom somewhat resents having had to give her expected empty nest years over to raising the two grandsons that my brother gave her. She always talked as if she were the only grandparent in that situation. I finally showed her an internet article that pointed out that according to US Census figures, 40% of children in the US are being raised by their grandparents. She was very far away from being the only one. But that doesn't say anything terrific about the parents who left it up to grandparents to raise the kids, I guess.

I've probably told you all this before.

No, it doesn't say anything terrific about the parents. I once read a study that found involved grandparents live longer... but I would imagine that it would be referring to grandparents who do not have all of the stresses of raising their grandchild on their own. Our parents have been pretty good about accepting our choice to adopt. But neither side feels particularly comfortable watching all 5 at once. We normally divide them up. I am an only child and my wife has one brother, so 5 is an overwhelming number for them. Both sets are still a little nervous about watching our newest as well, as she has rather unique circumstances. At family gatherings everyone gets along as well as any family would though.

Gort wrote:
This is progress. Your crazy 19-year old babysitter is just what you need. And taking a little time to be just the two of you together is very important to the well-being of the five most important people in your lives, too.

Another thing I think I've written to you before is how many good films I discovered when my kids got to the age to watch them. These were family movies that I had felt I was too mature to see until that point. Nowadays, although my guys are 31 and 35 years old, and my youngest nephew is 24, I still watch those films if I think they might be interesting. Some of them stink, but there are a lot of good ones.

I remain in touch with my inner child. I discovered Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street on Amazon Prime Video, and it's rife with nostalgia for me. It's the kind of stories that I liked when I was around 12 or 13 years old. And it just gives me an unexpected connection to the pre-teen within who has been covered up by decade upon decade of more mature experiences. In other words, this series allows me to tap into the same sense of wonder that I kept around all the time when I was a middle-schooler! How it does this I can't explain. It's more or less alone in that category. But the show-runners manage to reach me there with almost every episode. It's amazing. Without having gone through the showing-my-kids-movies-they-would-enjoy years, I probably would never have watched it.

It's good to talk to you again. You were still logged on when I began this reply, but you might be gone now.

It's been great getting out with my wife again. While fostering there were pretty strict rules about who we could have watch our kids... pretty much nobody. So at one point it had been over a year since we had been out only together. Now that they are adopted we have tried to make alone time a priority.

YES! I have discovered plenty of great films that I would've previously assumed were too young for me to enjoy. Pixar is not the only place that can create a movie that kids and adults will both enjoy (although Pixar does a pretty darn good job). I've also revisited a lot of films from my youth- it is fun to see how my kids react to them and to see how well they've held up (or not at all!). I have not heard of Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street but it sounds interesting.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
I've also revisited a lot of films from my youth- it is fun to see how my kids react to them and to see how well they've held up (or not at all!).

I did this, too. A lot of the ones I wanted to show them weren't on VHS or DVD when they were kids, but I got the ones I could. Sometimes their reactions would surprise me. Mainly, they would like films that I was sure they'd find dull, too old, or something else negative.

That was gratifying, and made me wonder if there was any genetic component to the similar tastes.

Sometimes one would like the film and the other wouldn't. My younger son shares my fascination with Godzilla films, while his brother isn't interested in them. He also likes sci-fi with greater intensity than his older bro. But they both liked the Star Wars prequels about equally. And they enjoyed seeing what are now Ep 4 and Ep 5 in the revamped theatrical releases. All three of us think that The Empire Strikes back is the best Star Wars film made to date.

They both liked most of the Disney movies that I did, but they split on 101 Dalmations. Don't recall who didn't like it. As for new Disney films (at the time) both were wowed by The Lion King.

The Future Unreels

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 am

Strangest thing with two of my boys and Star Wars... they say they like it but Aydin has never sat through a whole film and Landon has only sat through all of Rogue One. I suspect he made it all the way through that because it was in a theater and he had no place else to go. Every once in a while I pop one in and they get very excited for it only to slowly start occupying themselves with other things. Yet they profess to loving them to anyone who mentions them!

The first 3 Indiana Jones films kept them hooked start to finish- but they never talk about it or attempt to play it. I haven't shown them The Crystal Skull.

I don't wonder about genetic tastes much with mine :D

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
I don't wonder about genetic tastes much with mine :D

Ha ha!

I'm sure I've told you about the four boys I used to watch over for their parents in Memphis, and how people would tell me when I was in public, "Your sons sure do look like you."

Since I have no idea how much the the adopted children do or don't resemble you or Mrs Hank, I wonder if you ever hear similar things when you're out with any but your bio daughter.

The Future Unreels

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:46 am

I was going to include a link to my wife's blog about our experiences with adoption in this reply (it contains pictures of our family as well as stories), but the blog seems to be malfunctioning. She'll have to contact someone about that. But, yes we get mistaken as a 5 child biological family a lot. It happened completely out of our control, but we all look like we could be related. Mya and Aydin are mistaken for twins all the time, only for people to be completely baffled to find out that they are 3 months apart. You can see them doing the math in their head to try to wrap their brain around how it is possible.

Here's a link to my Instagram if you are interested in seeing
https://www.instagram.com/njcarroll_11/

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 pm
Profile WWW

Aww your family is so adorbs.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:49 am
Profile YIM

Hank wrote:
yes we get mistaken as a 5 child biological family a lot. It happened completely out of our control, but we all look like we could be related. Mya and Aydin are mistaken for twins all the time, only for people to be completely baffled to find out that they are 3 months apart. You can see them doing the math in their head to try to wrap their brain around how it is possible.

Here's a link to my Instagram if you are interested in seeing
https://www.instagram.com/njcarroll_11/

Yes, the effect is impressive!

What I noted was how all the kids look at the photographer (whether you or Mrs Hank) and there is no sense whatever that you aren't all biologically related. In other words, the kid in the pic is looking at Mom or Dad taking a photo. Not "Mom" or "Dad" taking a photo. The sense of permanence I get from these pictures is as pervasive as those you see in any other real family. (And I use the word "real" here as an emphatic, not in any way ironically.)

Did you ever notice that, and wonder if it isn't the relatedness that people see when you are all out together rather than the "relatedness?" I hope my use of quotation marks here will carry my meaning better than a 3-paragraph explanation would. :)

Now, I understand that you and Mrs. H are also lucky, but, golly, I can't help but smile at how lucky these 5 kids are to have ya'll as parents, and to have each other as siblings.

In one of the blogs I found for my ESL students 16 non-Americans wrote about the things that they, and people back home, find most amazing about the USA. One of them stuck in my mind, because I honestly couldn't have even thought of other countries or cultures not being like this. Rakib Islam wrote: "A lot of couples adopt children, sometimes in spite of having their own, and treat them exactly like their own. (To me, this alone is a marker of a great people)"

He implies that it isn't the same back in Bangladesh, where he came from. Once again, I find it hard to believe that the way we do this, which so impresses Rakib in a positive way, isn't what people would just naturally do for children whom they decided to take into their homes and shepherd them toward adulthood. Anywhere.

So, kudoi to y'all for being the embodiment of "a marker of a great people."

The Future Unreels

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:58 am

Ace wrote:
Aww your family is so adorbs.

:up: Thanks Ace. We're quite the crew!

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:11 am
Profile WWW

Gort wrote:
Yes, the effect is impressive!

What I noted was how all the kids look at the photographer (whether you or Mrs Hank) and there is no sense whatever that you aren't all biologically related. In other words, the kid in the pic is looking at Mom or Dad taking a photo. Not "Mom" or "Dad" taking a photo. The sense of permanence I get from these pictures is as pervasive as those you see in any other real family. (And I use the word "real" here as an emphatic, not in any way ironically.)

Did you ever notice that, and wonder if it isn't the relatedness that people see when you are all out together rather than the "relatedness?" I hope my use of quotation marks here will carry my meaning better than a 3-paragraph explanation would. :)

Now, I understand that you and Mrs. H are also lucky, but, golly, I can't help but smile at how lucky these 5 kids are to have ya'll as parents, and to have each other as siblings.

In one of the blogs I found for my ESL students 16 non-Americans wrote about the things that they, and people back home, find most amazing about the USA. One of them stuck in my mind, because I honestly couldn't have even thought of other countries or cultures not being like this. Rakib Islam wrote: "A lot of couples adopt children, sometimes in spite of having their own, and treat them exactly like their own. (To me, this alone is a marker of a great people)"

He implies that it isn't the same back in Bangladesh, where he came from. Once again, I find it hard to believe that the way we do this, which so impresses Rakib in a positive way, isn't what people would just naturally do for children whom they decided to take into their homes and shepherd them toward adulthood. Anywhere.

So, kudoi to y'all for being the embodiment of "a marker of a great people."

I have never really thought about our interactions and glances could create the sense of permanence and relatedness that helps people to see us as a biological family. I think that is a lovely thing to think about though. Thank you.

That blog was a very interesting read as well! I appreciate being told that we have a marker of a great people. :) Someone started talking to me about how they couldn't understand how I could love another person's child like my own. And I said that it's because I don't look at them as someone else's child. I also humorously elaborated that I've never birthed any cats or puppies, but I have grown to love them anyway. :P

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:26 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Someone started talking to me about how they couldn't understand how I could love another person's child like my own. And I said that it's because I don't look at them as someone else's child. I also humorously elaborated that I've never birthed any cats or puppies, but I have grown to love them anyway. :P

Those two. Right there.

Also, it's the natural teacher in you coming out when you say gentle things to them like those.

And the first is the explanation to me of why people would mistake the four charges I had for 2½ years as my sons. I didn't look at them as someone else's children when I was operating in loco parentis. They were my responsibility in those moments just as certainly as Tom and Joe were when they were still living with Dad.

Few of us have not had the second experience with some non-human living thing. I never would have thought of that, but humorous or not, it's a very good explanation of the bonding. And because the experience you relate adoption to is so ubiquitous, I'll bet it's caused those people to suddenly find your equal love for the adoptees in your family less baffling.

The Future Unreels

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Yeah, it certainly seemed to help them see where I was coming from.

In other news: My daughter bought Blade Runner 2049 while playing with the Amazon remote... we weren't on the Firestick input, so we didn't know she was doing it. I am pretty excited though, because it was something I really wanted to see but didn't have time to watch it in the theater.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:54 am
Profile WWW

I recently got the 3D version. It's pretty good. It's better if you don't compare it to Blade Runner. There are homages.

It has its own world and its own rationales. It's a different film from a different time, and more power to it for that.

Wow, imagine what other films she could have bought accidentally. I assume this was an accidental purchase on her part?

The Future Unreels

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:44 am

Yes, completely accidental. My youngest had a toy Elmo phone and my daughter was using the Amazon Firestick remote as her phone to play with him. We were watching tv and had no idea that when she was "dialing" Jaxson's number she was navigating the Amazon account. I don't know why it didn't dawn on us that it never turns off since it's in the USB... it just isn't visible. Luckily, it was the only purchase! I turned on the password settings now so this is the only purchase.

This is the first movie that I own without owning a physical copy. I don't know what to think about that. It doesn't feel like I own it.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Profile WWW

The Bluray is cheap right now. 14.99.
But yeah I still prefer physical. Even though I have a massive digital copy collection.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:03 pm
Profile YIM

Ha! I spent more than that for the digital copy my daughter bought.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Yeah, it certainly seemed to help them see where I was coming from.

In other news: My daughter bought Blade Runner 2049 while playing with the Amazon remote... we weren't on the Firestick input, so we didn't know she was doing it. I am pretty excited though, because it was something I really wanted to see but didn't have time to watch it in the theater.
2049 did contain certain undeniable flaws as far as I'm concerned, but it was still an incredibly epic, unforgettable experience in theaters, and was more intriguing and thought-provoking than at least 90% of what Hollywood puts out these days anyway, so I didn't regret seeing it one bit, ultimately.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 am

Blade Runner 2049 was also an epic experience in my office with a 55" TV and surround sound, in 3D. Couldn't manage to get to any theater to see it.

Today I had to go to Walmart to buy some washcloths as part of what my church is giving to 120 homeless people at the March meal we serve through what's called the Broadway Bridge Project. Every Third Monday. Each month we give different needed items throughout the year. The washcloths are located in a department adjacent to the electronics area. And teh Blu Bin was sitting at the end of the aisle where I picked up the washcloths.

So, I thought, Why not?

I selected 9 discs, and culled them down to 5 (all I thought I should afford myself).

Blade Runner the Final Cut (1982) -- I have the DVD of the director's cut, but had delayed buying the Blu. My first viewing of the 1982 film was from a recording I made at EP speed on a VHS tape from my HBO account. Next I saw the DVD I bought. And this Bluray looks great on a cursory check to be sure it plays.
10 Cloverfield Lane -- haven't seen it yet, but there were such praises of it written in the reviews for The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) that I had to see it somehow. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Edward Scissorhands (1992) which I first saw on a VHS tape rented from Blockbuster in 1992 or 1993, whenever it became available. I don't even recall whether it was letterboxed. I've never seen the film since, but I loved the set design. So I'm sure I'll enjoy the Blu at Blu Bin prices. When I put it in to spot check it, I was trying to remember which film was the first Tim Burton I ever saw.
The Iron Giant Signature Edition (1999) looks superb in Blu, too. It's still one of my favorite animated films of all time. I've only seen it to date on the DVD I bought as soon as it hit the shelves at Best Buy in Memphis. But that's been through the player half a dozen times.
Gone With The Wind (1939) on Bluray! For Christmas in 1998 my kids bought me the 1988 release of Gone With The Wind on DVD. I watched it once (they didn't want to see it, and I hadn't asked for it). There were two or three Bluray discs of the 70th Anniversary release from 2009, so I brought one of them home, today. I saw the film in the theater only once, in 1972 when it was re-released in 16 x 9 format! My girlfriend at the time wanted to see it. The first time I saw it in the original 4:3 aspect ratio was when I watched my Christmas present some time in early 1999. Last year I think it was, I treated Mom to a viewing. She kept telling me that she'd seen it when she was working as a nurse at the State Tuberculosis Sanatorium at Booneville (1948-1950) so there must have been a re-release in '49 or so.

Tomorrow, if the 2-day delivery runs true, I will get Deep Purple: From the Setting Sun, in Wacken / Blu-ray 3D. They were old when they did this in 2013, but I hope they retained some of their 1970s musical panache. I never heard of the Wacken Festival before I read the title of this disc. Ha ha.

And I'm up to 92 3D Bluray movies/videos when it gets on the shelf. I've watched all but 23 of them. Found it a little too addictive, but I have to feed my costly TV, y'know.

The 3D discs are expensive for the most part, but even those that go for 24.99 or 29.99 only cost what I'd pay for 2 3D theater tickets in the hills of Arkansas. And I can watch the film as many times as I want. All for the same outlay. That's my heart-breaking rationale. 8-)

The Future Unreels

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am

There's an Amazon deal right now 3 4k blurays for 50 bucks. Great deal. You should jump on it.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:40 pm
Profile YIM

I assume you have a 4K TV. Can't remember if you said before.

The Future Unreels

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:04 pm

I dont but I'm getting one soon. Now that Saving Private Ryan is coming to 4k. I need it.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 pm
Profile YIM

:D

The Future Unreels

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:11 am

The Jungle Book (2016) 3D was excellent. In some of the flash cuts (and there are a lot in the beginning of the film and during some chase sequences) the 3D is difficult to track. In the rest of the movie it is pure realism. As much as I liked the film in 2D, I like it a lot more in 3D.

Of the films I have in 3D and 4K I find that I prefer HD 3D to 4K in all cases. Not that 4K isn't beautiful. And I've always been a resolution junkie. I just prefer the depth to the extra resolution.

This isn't to say that I won't suddenly catch a 4K bug at some time in the future. :shifty:

The Future Unreels

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:42 am

I recently received Gone With the Wind as a gift. I haven't yet watched the Blu-ray... but I had watched it 20 years ago or so when I was first starting to show interest in film. I remember enjoying the VHS tape.

The Jungle Book was a good film. And I went into it with very little interest in seeing a remake. However, this is closer to the type of remake that I agree with them making- it brought some brand new things to the story using today's technology.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 pm
Profile WWW

How the hell can the Rematch thread still be getting 438 page views per day since March 1?

Now, at this point, with all the posts pictureless and no new posts for almost long enough to birth a kid, these page views must be web-crawlers.

The Future Unreels

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 am

Hank wrote:
I recently received Gone With the Wind as a gift. I haven't yet watched the Blu-ray... but I had watched it 20 years ago or so when I was first starting to show interest in film. I remember enjoying the VHS tape.

I thought it held up to a second viewing only under the aegis of "a historically important film." I'll still watch the Bluray of it, sometime. But, geez, the length of nearly half a workday spent watching the thing?! I can wait. :-/

Hank wrote:
The Jungle Book was a good film. And I went into it with very little interest in seeing a remake. However, this is closer to the type of remake that I agree with them making- it brought some brand new things to the story using today's technology.

Yeah. Thinking of comparing the 1967 drawn animation film to this one with CGI animation and live action. It gives me an idea for a thread, you know...wait.

The Future Unreels

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am

Gort wrote:
I can wait.

Well, don't wait too long, you creaky old carcass.

Your. Days. Are. Numbered. :D

The Future Unreels

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 am

YouTookMyName wrote:
Well, don't wait too long, you creaky old carcass.

Your. Days. Are. Numbered. :D

:roll: Look who's typing.

The Future Unreels

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 am

Gort wrote:
How the hell can the Rematch thread still be getting 438 page views per day since March 1?

Now, at this point, with all the posts pictureless and no new posts for almost long enough to birth a kid, these page views must be web-crawlers.

Maybe it's just a bunch of readers who don't like picturebooks.

The Future Unreels

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 am

YouTookMyName wrote:
Maybe it's just a bunch of readers who don't like picturebooks.

Talk to yourself much?

The Future Unreels

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 am

A YTMN conversation with himself! The best throwback :fresh:

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 am
Profile WWW

We watched Where the Wild Things Are as a family. Hadn't watched it since I was a father of one and my daughter was about 2 months old sitting in her carrier between and my wife and I at the $2 theater. We had really wanted to get out of the house at the time. Mya slept through the whole thing and we had some sanity restored to our lives. We felt a little more normal afterward.

When we all sat down Mya told the other kids about how it was the first movie she ever saw in the theaters. :D

The film took on new meanings with me this time around.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:18 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
When we all sat down Mya told the other kids about how it was the first movie she ever saw in the theaters. :D

The film took on new meanings with me this time around.

I love that first line.

I used to tell people I'd seen Disney's Sleeping Beauty back when I was five years old. But I eventually remembered that I had gone to sleep very early in the film and had the most wonderful nap until I awoke as the handsome prince was chopping his way through the briars so that he could climb up to where Beauty was asleep. Ha ha. That's hardly "seeing" the movie. So by the time I was 9 or 10 I was no longer claiming to have seen it. Instead, I told people that I had slept through it. Thing is I can't even remember whether we watched it in Hot Springs or Little Rock. We lived in a tiny town when I was 5, and there was nothing there but a drive-in. We saw this one in style at a sit-down theater.

What new meaning did you get from Wild Things this time around? It's been so long since I saw it that I don't recall very much. My kids were "too old" to see that movie when it came out, so I borrowed it from Blockbuster and watched it by myself.

The Future Unreels

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 am

Aww Hank that's adorable. Although I still remember when you guys went to see Brave. That story stuck with me.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:05 pm
Profile YIM

Gort wrote:
I love that first line.

I used to tell people I'd seen Disney's Sleeping Beauty back when I was five years old. But I eventually remembered that I had gone to sleep very early in the film and had the most wonderful nap until I awoke as the handsome prince was chopping his way through the briars so that he could climb up to where Beauty was asleep. Ha ha. That's hardly "seeing" the movie. So by the time I was 9 or 10 I was no longer claiming to have seen it. Instead, I told people that I had slept through it. Thing is I can't even remember whether we watched it in Hot Springs or Little Rock. We lived in a tiny town when I was 5, and there was nothing there but a drive-in. We saw this one in style at a sit-down theater.

What new meaning did you get from Wild Things this time around? It's been so long since I saw it that I don't recall very much. My kids were "too old" to see that movie when it came out, so I borrowed it from Blockbuster and watched it by myself.

We still have a drive-in theater near us. Looking forward to them opening up for the season... although with all the trucks and SUVs, it's gotten harder to see the screen in the time since I was a kid.

The first film that I remember seeing in the theater was The Princess Bride. I'm told I saw earlier ones, but that one I remember seeing. We lived within walking distance of the theater and the whole walk home my father and I sword fought and pretended to navigate the Fire Swamp. For years I'd tell him to prepare to die- because he killed my father (naturally).

This time around, Where the Wild Things Are related directly to my 8 year old Aydin in my mind. Max, the main character is him through and through. Frustrated with his life, he acts out and gets himself in trouble. The main character struggles with a sibling that is growing older, a mom who has interests in a life outside of solely him, a father that isn't in the picture and his emotions. Aydin has similar issues and acts out from time to time in that vein. So, this time the film felt so much more personal and it clicked with me on a level that it hadn't the first time because my life experiences are different. I got a little choked up when Max decided to go back home this time... I don't remember that it hit me like that before. It felt more genuine this time.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:36 am
Profile WWW

Ace wrote:
Aww Hank that's adorable. Although I still remember when you guys went to see Brave. That story stuck with me.

Ahhh, wow. That's cool that you remember that story! Yeah, that movie will always be better to me than it is to most people because of my experience with my daughter. :heart:

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:39 am
Profile WWW

Did everyone wish Nick a happy birthday?

The Future Unreels

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:39 am

Yes I did.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:51 pm
Profile YIM

Wonder Woman 3D was marked down. I ordered it. The thing shipped the same day I ordered it (Monday). It was scheduled for delivery today.

I went to the mailbox. Mail was there, but no Blu. I figured it was another of those 3-day 2-day deliveries.

So I suspected that it hadn't gone out for delivery. Checked the email message that lets me track 'em. "Placed in recipient's mailbox."

WTF!? It might have been place into someone's mailbox, but it wasn't the "recipient's"!

The only thing on the Amazon website is a pointless video that tells you to look all around. (Yeah, I did that already. Wasn't born yesterday, y'know?"

There is no link on Amazon to let them know "My fucking merchandise wasn't delivered even though the tracking page says it was." 'Cause it ain't delivered unless I have it.

Feelin' grumpy, man.

The Future Unreels

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:07 am

Click the "Contact Us" link in the bottom.
Chat with them and they're usually cool about sending you something out when you didn't get it. Although I did have trouble with them charging me for a book when they explicitly told me to keep it so I had to call them and have me refund the book.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 am
Profile YIM

Thanks, Ace!

After a Google search I had found similar instructions. I just now talked to an Amazon representative (I love the way they are set up to call you back!). She will call me tomorrow to learn if the package was delivered late. If it still hasn't arrived, just as you said, they will ship a replacement disc. I hope they didn't sell out, because that means I'll have to wait longer.

By the way, the service agent had to ask me for the number to call tomorrow. That means they don't save the number you type into the initial contact screen.

Sounds like you've had this problem before. The only problem I've been having at a rate of about 50% of the time since last September, is that the item won't go out for delivery until the third day. The itemized tracking will show that it left Nashville or Memphis on the day it was supposed to be delivered.

I was told by their rinky-dink video that sometimes USPS will scan packages that they haven't delivered yet.

That would be illegal, wouldn't it? Certainly Amazon wouldn't have inked a contract saying that USPS could slip an extra day on the 2-day delivery deal. After all, we customers pay extra for that "free" 2-day delivery when we buy into Prime.

My representative set my account up to use carriers other than USPS. It isn't an option that we can select when ordering, but apparently they can do that on their end.

The Future Unreels

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am

I've had that happen. It'll say delivered but USPS didn't deliver it and it shows up the next day in my mailbox. The only time I had to send stuff back was when the cases came cracked.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:02 am
Profile YIM

Did you ever seen the meme of a cracked disc from Netflix that was broken when it arrived in the customer's mailbox? It's a photo of the broken disc laying on top of the envelope it arrived in, neatly snapped down the middle, I think.

Anyway, the movie was Shyamalan's Unbreakable.

The Future Unreels

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 7108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143  Next