It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143  Next
 The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are. 
Post Re: The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are.

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Do I dare to hope for a million views?

Why not? You're over 3/4 the way there.

EDIT: Oh, thank God, the page changed. Now it's not stretched beyond the normal bounds of my browser window! :shifty:

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

So, I have to ask myself: "Why did you order It from Netflix?

I have seen only one movie based on a Stephen King story that I didn't ultimately hate. I still love Stand by Me. But all the others suck pondwater in my opinion.

Is it because that kid from Stranger Things is in it, and that means there'll be a familiar face? It's not likely to be either scary or impressive.

But maybe I ordered it because if I don't watch It I'll never know.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:20 am

Great Scptt, that was so much like Stranger Things!

Fortunately, it lacked the bizarre nonsensical twist that's supposed to thrill you, but only makes me laugh in every other SK film that I've ever seen (except the aforementioned Stand by Me).

It also lacked suspense and the only shocks were jump cuts and drum booms.

There were two shots that gave me slight goosebumps, though. A rarity for King's films.

I wonder if reading his stories is vastly different from seeing them on a screen.

Second best Stephen King adaptation of my entire career of watching movies.

The Future Unreels

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Still need to see that. Probably watch it when the sequel comes later.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:29 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Still need to see that. Probably watch it when the sequel comes later.

Makes sense, since the next one is the continuation of the novel. A novel that I have never read, BTW.

The Future Unreels

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:46 am

Gort wrote:
So, I have to ask myself: "Why did you order It from Netflix?

I have seen only one movie based on a Stephen King story that I didn't ultimately hate. I still love Stand by Me. But all the others suck pondwater in my opinion.
Aw, even Shawshank? C'mon Gort, there's gotta be at least one other King movie you liked besides that! Anyway...
Gort wrote:
Great Scptt, that was so much like Stranger Things!

Fortunately, it lacked the bizarre nonsensical twist that's supposed to thrill you, but only makes me laugh in every other SK film that I've ever seen (except the aforementioned Stand by Me).

It also lacked suspense and the only shocks were jump cuts and drum booms.

There were two shots that gave me slight goosebumps, though. A rarity for King's films.

I wonder if reading his stories is vastly different from seeing them on a screen.

Second best Stephen King adaptation of my entire career of watching movies.
...the reason why the 1st part of IT lacked the nonsensical twist of the book that
Pennywise isn't just an unexplaned, evil local clown-demon consigned to tormet Derry, but rather, a millenias-old Lovecraftian elder God or some such nonsense
is possibly because they're saving that for the next one, which I can only hope is one of the parts of the book they also cut out. Anyway, I'm glad that you at least didn't hate IT; personally, I thought that it would've been scarier if it actually hadn't tried so hard to be scary, like the moment where Georgiewise's face unnecessarily starts to decay in the basement, or in the scene with the giant Pennywise coming out of the screen (bigger doesn't automatically equal scary, movie), but still, on the whole, I still found it to be a fairly engaging adaptation, and much stronger as a coming-of-age film than it was a Horror movie, y'know?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Stu wrote:
Aw, even Shawshank? C'mon Gort, there's gotta be at least one other King movie you liked besides that!

Nope. Didn't hate Shawshank but never have been able to understand the love for it. Remember that I grew up when there were lots of prison break movies and TV shows. For the same reason that I'll never watch The Godfather, I didn't enjoy Shawshank:

I've already seen everything that could possibly be in The Godfather, perhaps in different attire, but still the same things in interminable 1950s-1960s TV shows and old noir movies shown in the afternoons on TV. When I watched Shawshank, expecting to see the greatest movie ever made (remember how long it was top-ranked at IMDb?) I was totally disappointed. First, there was nothing new. Same old prison movie stuff. And, the surprise twist ending was something I had already deduced before it goes to the final scene. It had nothing to offer me, you see?

Stu wrote:
...the reason why the 1st part of IT lacked the nonsensical twist of the book that
Pennywise isn't just an unexplaned, evil local clown-demon consigned to tormet Derry, but rather, a millenias-old Lovecraftian elder God or some such nonsense
is possibly because they're saving that for the next one, which I can only hope is one of the parts of the book they also cut out. Anyway, I'm glad that you at least didn't hate IT; personally, I thought that it would've been scarier if it actually hadn't tried so hard to be scary, like the moment where Georgiewise's face unnecessarily starts to decay in the basement, or in the scene with the giant Pennywise coming out of the screen (bigger doesn't automatically equal scary, movie), but still, on the whole, I still found it to be a fairly engaging adaptation, and much stronger as a coming-of-age film than it was a Horror movie, y'know?

Maybe I should just give Chapter Two a miss when it comes out!

The giant Pennywise projecting from the screen was a little goofy, but still also a little goosebumpy -- for less than a second. And, c'mon, ya gotta let the boys and girls making movies play with their CG toys nowadays.

Agreed on the coming-of-age observation, and this version of It shares that with Stand By Me, because of the way it was handled. Maybe that's why it wasn't a sucky experience for old Gort.

The Future Unreels

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:20 pm

What about The Green Mile? I remember that one fondly.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
What about The Green Mile? I remember that one fondly.

I believe we've had this discussion before. I've written this information to someone here on the Corrie, I'm sure. I was okay with that movie until John Coffey began to
upchuck the CGI sickness that he had sucked out of Paul Edgecomb. At that point, the movie lost me. Kind of ironic what Gort wrote above about letting the boys and girls play with their CG toys nowadays, eh?

All it would have taken is for the writers (including King) to have simply had Coffey literally and normally vomit because of the sickness that he had taken away from Edgecomb, and I would have been completely okay with that. It was the floaty, CGI purple balloons effect that made me think the movie was overall pretty stupid. Just that one little thing.
And, as I probably also wrote before, I hadn't seen the opening credits so I recall thinking as I watched that bizarre moment unfold, "Geez, this is like Stephen King crapola!" and then read that it was from a Stephen King novel in the closing credits. :D

The Future Unreels

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 am

Catching up on some movies that I hadn't seen but had planned to watch someday. You already know about IT.

Also watched The Last Jedi streaming on Netflix.
Watched Humanoids From the Deep streaming on Amazon.

Anyone have thoughts on those two? (Stu, I know you did a fine write-up about the Star Wars film.)

The Future Unreels

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 am

Baby Driver (2017) reminded me a lot of Layer Cake (2004) although I don't have a sharp recollection of that movie. Both are about guys in over their heads, who want out.

The Future Unreels

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:50 pm

The Last Jedi was/IS divisive. I personally loved it. But it's a huge debate online.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:28 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
The Last Jedi was/IS divisive. I personally loved it. But it's a huge debate online.

I noticed that. So I expected to see something that was obviously a contentious matter in the film. Saw nothing. Like every Star Wars movie since the 1977 original episode I found it to be merely OK. At first I even hated The Empire Strikes Back. Then I came to like it the best of the 8 mainline tales I've seen over the years. So I wasn't very surprised to learn that it's the overall favorite Star Wars movie, nowadays.

Seems like there have been scads of naysayers for each episode since Lucas' Episode I came out, also. But Ep 8 did seem to ratchet up the shrill nature of the negative comments, for some reason.

I found a good deal of interesting things in The Last Jedi. I had forgotten about the ability that makes the ending of the film come across the way it does. So it even had a touch of surprise to it. That lasted for about 4 seconds, though! The suspense between Rey and Ren was a lot more interesting, and went on for a half hour.

The Future Unreels

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 pm

Yeah that ending is divisive. Although that Godafther "Shot" was nice. Also Rey and Kylo are a great pair together. Im glad the new trilogy focused on them. But It's going to be weird for episode IX to see if they stick to what was said in this movie or if they retcon it.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:49 am
Profile YIM

Luke wakes up and all of Ep 8 was a dream. ;)

The Future Unreels

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:04 am

For all its fancy effects and epic space battles, the montage of the film visually representing The Force quickly became my favorite scene in the entire film:

We've heard people talk about The Force in inspiring (if abstract) manners before, and the Prequels unfortunately over-explaned the phenomenon, but usually The Force is just an excuse for the characters to have whatever arbitrary superpowers the filmmakers want them to, and it's usually just another way to do things like "move rocks around", as Rey so ignorantly believed. The montage, on the other hand, represented a different way of conveying it, something new, which the film as a whole, could've used more of, since I felt it didn't distinguish itself enough from its mid-original trilogy counterpart of Empire, still the highpoint of the entire series to date. Still, it was a step in the right direction compared to the near-remake rehashings of the otherwise entertaining Force Awakens, which worries me now that Diznee has decided to bring Abrams back for Episode 9; JJ, for once in your career, give us something new, please!

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:57 pm

I've only seen each of the new Star Wars films once in the theaters.... The only one that I have the slight urge to see again is The Last Jedi. It's the only one that I've thought about some of it's bits now and then (good or bad). The others have been totally fine I guess.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 pm
Profile WWW

Bought my first PPV rental today. My nephew was interested in Rampage, and it was kind of fun. Over the next 2 days I could watch it again!

Almost certainly won't. :-/

The Future Unreels

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:27 am

Cool you can watch Infinity War soon. Please note down when you shed a tear.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:58 am
Profile YIM

I made a podcast guys. If you guys have time listen to it and give me notes.
https://soundcloud.com/user-327677431

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:37 pm
Profile YIM

That was interesting.

You guys are interesting conversationalists, and must read about movies constantly.

I couldn't listen to all hour and six minutes, though. I might pick up later where I left off and see what you talked about after MoviePass. ;)

The Future Unreels

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:48 am

Gort wrote:
That was interesting.

You guys are interesting conversationalists, and must read about movies constantly.

I couldn't listen to all hour and six minutes, though. I might pick up later where I left off and see what you talked about after MoviePass. ;)

Sorry about the language lol. This was our first episode and we were flying by the seat of our pants. I think after Moviepass it was Mowgli and the Mission Impossible Fallout review (no Spoilers). I'm working on getting some more structure and proper pacing. I know we went off on tangents haha.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:41 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Sorry about the language lol. This was our first episode and we were flying by the seat of our pants. I think after Moviepass it was Mowgli and the Mission Impossible Fallout review (no Spoilers). I'm working on getting some more structure and proper pacing. I know we went off on tangents haha.

But the amazing thing about conversations is how they start off one place and wind up in another, usually unrelated, place!

As for the language, ain't that just how "kids" your age talk now? It's how I talked when I was in college. Until I let loose an f-bomb in my mother's kitchen for a weekend visit, then I sort of dialed back some, depending on where I was. But those words didn't disappear from my operating vocab until my 2-year old was tapping the tires on our car with a stick and chanting in time to the taps, "Shit shit. Damn damn!" and his mother told me about it.

"No spoilers." I hate those words. The instantaneous, micro-transient phenomenon of surprise! must be preserved at all fucking cost, eh!? Makes it hard for people like me to decide whether to see a movie or not. :D

The Future Unreels

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am

Wonder (2017) is one of those human-scale movies that I enjoy so much.

The Future Unreels

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Gort wrote:
But the amazing thing about conversations is how they start off one place and wind up in another, usually unrelated, place!

As for the language, ain't that just how "kids" your age talk now? It's how I talked when I was in college. Until I let loose an f-bomb in my mother's kitchen for a weekend visit, then I sort of dialed back some, depending on where I was. But those words didn't disappear from my operating vocab until my 2-year old was tapping the tires on our car with a stick and chanting in time to the taps, "Shit shit. Damn damn!" and his mother told me about it.

"No spoilers." I hate those words. The instantaneous, micro-transient phenomenon of surprise! must be preserved at all fucking cost, eh!? Makes it hard for people like me to decide whether to see a movie or not. :D

Yeah. So did you like it? I've been trying to get feedback regarding the podcast.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:30 pm
Profile YIM

Gort wrote:
Wonder (2017) is one of those human-scale movies that I enjoy so much.

As a family we listened to the Audiobook on trip to Maine a year ago. Then we saw the film when it came out. The kiddos requested to bring it home and watch it again just this weekend. It is a very faithful adaptation of the source material. My kids also love spotting the actors in this. Inigo Montoya as the principal is a favorite.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:42 am
Profile WWW

Ace wrote:
Yeah. So did you like it? I've been trying to get feedback regarding the podcast.

Haven't had time to give it a go, but have it bookmarked for later. :)

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Haven't had time to give it a go, but have it bookmarked for later. :)

Thanks Hank. Much appreciated. We might be recording another one later on this week.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:15 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:

I enjoyed the part that I listened to. But I'm not much on podcasts, or watching very many informational or opinion videos, either. Don't watch the news, etc.

I've always enjoyed hearing other people's opinions about things, and learning what they know about topics that I don't know, though. I liked listening to you guys talk about the topics that I heard. You are passionate and pretty knowledgeable about these things. I was impressed.

The language aspect that you picked up on is important. Language can draw people in or drive them away...or keep them at arm's length.

My father used invective for one purpose only...to draw attention to it. One of the mistakes I and my college chums made was that we didn't use invective sparingly. I guess what I'm saying is that you can include yourself in a club by talking like regular 20-somethings, or you can expand the club by realizing that no one will notice if you don't use invective, but everyone will notice if you do.

So if you put it in, do so intentionally, as I did in my remark about spoilers and surprise.

Also, be aware that fuck fucking and the other variants all are used to function as nearly every part of speech in English...rendering the word meaningless. Uh. Well. Huh. Eh? Like. I mean. -- are relatives of fuck. They hold place, keep your vocal cords vibrating while you think of what to say next. And if you have no idea, there's already a word in place that you can simply repeat and seem to be saying something! It's fucking empty. Although, it does carry and express emotional cues.

I think you've already seen that in your first effort, based on what you said. But the language y'all used is also part of the content. It identifies you, gives you cred. Draws in certain listeners who fancy themselves to be somewhat more sophisticated (as I did when I spouted f-bombs a million times a day). You know, not stuffy and hung up on how one expresses an idea (or so I thought).

So, if you use your potentially abrasive language to make a point, to emphasize the idea or the emotion, then it will be well-used. As it is in the first one, you're just having a good time, and it shows, but a lot of the words you say carry little meaning. Fortunately, y'all also have plenty of words in your discourse that do carry meaning.

Is that the sort of input that is useful, Ace? I hope you didn't find it pedantic or offensive. Wasn't intended to be.

The Future Unreels

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 am

Hank wrote:
As a family we listened to the Audiobook on trip to Maine a year ago. Then we saw the film when it came out. The kiddos requested to bring it home and watch it again just this weekend. It is a very faithful adaptation of the source material. My kids also love spotting the actors in this. Inigo Montoya as the principal is a favorite.

Yeah, it's almost inconceivable, isn't it?

Or maybe that doesn't mean what I think it means.

I just finished watching Wonder a second time, with the audio commentary by the director and the author of the book. And then I ordered the 4K and Blu-ray set of it. This might be my 4th favorite movie of all time. I might actually add one to what I count. And I'm not sure it isn't the equal of Rocket Science. So maybe I still have only first, second and third places in my list of rate-able films, but there are two in third place.

I worry that films such as this will be left out of production eventually, and we'll have a steady diet of only films that can be marketed in a poly-linguistic environment. Everybody understands punches and guns. But very little of life for anyone has much to do with either thing. There is actually very little actual violence in life for most of us. Perhaps we like to watch it on screen because it's safe, like watching a horror movie, since you know you won't ever face a hoard of real zombies.

For some people the violence is real. But not constant. For a few miserable souls it is constant and real. But that's not what I set out to write.

What I set out to write is that I start to worry that films such as this will disappear from the filmscape of the world...and then something like Wonder comes along!

The Future Unreels

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:00 am

Gort wrote:
I enjoyed the part that I listened to. But I'm not much on podcasts, or watching very many informational or opinion videos, either. Don't watch the news, etc.

I've always enjoyed hearing other people's opinions about things, and learning what they know about topics that I don't know, though. I liked listening to you guys talk about the topics that I heard. You are passionate and pretty knowledgeable about these things. I was impressed.

The language aspect that you picked up on is important. Language can draw people in or drive them away...or keep them at arm's length.

My father used invective for one purpose only...to draw attention to it. One of the mistakes I and my college chums made was that we didn't use invective sparingly. I guess what I'm saying is that you can include yourself in a club by talking like regular 20-somethings, or you can expand the club by realizing that no one will notice if you don't use invective, but everyone will notice if you do.

So if you put it in, do so intentionally, as I did in my remark about spoilers and surprise.

Also, be aware that fuck fucking and the other variants all are used to function as nearly every part of speech in English...rendering the word meaningless. Uh. Well. Huh. Eh? Like. I mean. -- are relatives of fuck. They hold place, keep your vocal cords vibrating while you think of what to say next. And if you have no idea, there's already a word in place that you can simply repeat and seem to be saying something! It's fucking empty. Although, it does carry and express emotional cues.

I think you've already seen that in your first effort, based on what you said. But the language y'all used is also part of the content. It identifies you, gives you cred. Draws in certain listeners who fancy themselves to be somewhat more sophisticated (as I did when I spouted f-bombs a million times a day). You know, not stuffy and hung up on how one expresses an idea (or so I thought).

So, if you use your potentially abrasive language to make a point, to emphasize the idea or the emotion, then it will be well-used. As it is in the first one, you're just having a good time, and it shows, but a lot of the words you say carry little meaning. Fortunately, y'all also have plenty of words in your discourse that do carry meaning.

Is that the sort of input that is useful, Ace? I hope you didn't find it pedantic or offensive. Wasn't intended to be.

No this was good. I definitely didn't want to overuse any foul language. But once we settled into our groove I think we didn't need the use for it at least. I think we found our groove midway thru a discussion. Were planning on recording again this weekend so we'll see how this one goes.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 pm
Profile YIM

Gort wrote:
Yeah, it's almost inconceivable, isn't it?

Or maybe that doesn't mean what I think it means.

I just finished watching Wonder a second time, with the audio commentary by the director and the author of the book. And then I ordered the 4K and Blu-ray set of it. This might be my 4th favorite movie of all time. I might actually add one to what I count. And I'm not sure it isn't the equal of Rocket Science. So maybe I still have only first, second and third places in my list of rate-able films, but there are two in third place.

I worry that films such as this will be left out of production eventually, and we'll have a steady diet of only films that can be marketed in a poly-linguistic environment. Everybody understands punches and guns. But very little of life for anyone has much to do with either thing. There is actually very little actual violence in life for most of us. Perhaps we like to watch it on screen because it's safe, like watching a horror movie, since you know you won't ever face a hoard of real zombies.

For some people the violence is real. But not constant. For a few miserable souls it is constant and real. But that's not what I set out to write.

What I set out to write is that I start to worry that films such as this will disappear from the filmscape of the world...and then something like Wonder comes along!

Well, at least it performed well at the box office. That's a little bit of help getting more films like it made in the future. Unfortunately the studios will probably misread why it did so well and try to replicate it rather than recognize what made it so enjoyable.

According to the Trends feature (if you logged your viewings) we are the only two to have seen it here at the Corrie. I apparently only logged it once. I sometimes forget to log films I see in the theater, as I may not sign in to the forum immediately, whereas if I am watching it at home I am more likely to have my laptop laying nearby.

I love how the film conveys Via's love for her brother... but also her longing to have more of a relationship with her parents outside of him. The friendships also feel right and the stupid things that kids will say often do not carry a reason and the film acknowledges this. We say dumb things sometimes. We don't know why. They hurt people we love. But solutions can be a simple apology.

I also like the way it handles the bully and his mother. I feel like a lot of films would feel the need to have the mom petition to have Augie removed or have a big scene where she sues the school... but it as a film decides that is not how most situations are handled and instead gives her a little speech and moves on. Couldn't you just see it handled by a different writer or director: a scene where they are arguing in front of the school board. One that shows her ignorance and Augie's strengths. Ugh.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

Hmm. I think I own Womder. I might watch that. I know everyone was talking about how good it was.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:16 am
Profile YIM

Hank wrote:
Well, at least it performed well at the box office. That's a little bit of help getting more films like it made in the future. Unfortunately the studios will probably misread why it did so well and try to replicate it rather than recognize what made it so enjoyable.

According to the Trends feature (if you logged your viewings) we are the only two to have seen it here at the Corrie. I apparently only logged it once. I sometimes forget to log films I see in the theater, as I may not sign in to the forum immediately, whereas if I am watching it at home I am more likely to have my laptop laying nearby.

I love how the film conveys Via's love for her brother... but also her longing to have more of a relationship with her parents outside of him. The friendships also feel right and the stupid things that kids will say often do not carry a reason and the film acknowledges this. We say dumb things sometimes. We don't know why. They hurt people we love. But solutions can be a simple apology.

I also like the way it handles the bully and his mother. I feel like a lot of films would feel the need to have the mom petition to have Augie removed or have a big scene where she sues the school... but it as a film decides that is not how most situations are handled and instead gives her a little speech and moves on. Couldn't you just see it handled by a different writer or director: a scene where they are arguing in front of the school board. One that shows her ignorance and Augie's strengths. Ugh.

I wonder if I should get the book and read it. I'm looking forward to seeing all the special features when the Bu ray gets here on Saturday.

The commentary track on this film is quite interesting. I might listen again sometime.

Yeah, I logged my two viewings and you've logged one. I always wonder who the "other viewers" are when I find that my view is not the first one.

All sorts of plot points in this film were handled differently than the expectation. Chbosky also directed The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which I enjoyed enough to buy on Blu. Oddly, I've never watched the disc because I think I remember the film clearly. I'm sure I'd find out differently if I were to give it a second (oops, third) viewing. That film also handled things slightly differently from the usual cinematic way of handling things.

The Future Unreels

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 am

Gort wrote:
I Wonder if I should get the book and read it. I'm looking forward to seeing all the special features when the Bu ray gets here on Saturday.

The commentary track on this film is quite interesting. I might listen again sometime.

Yeah, I logged my two viewings and you've logged one. I always wonder who the "other viewers" are when I find that my view is not the first one.

All sorts of plot points in this film were handled differently than the expectation. Chbosky also directed The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which I enjoyed enough to buy on Blu. Oddly, I've never watched the disc because I think I remember the film clearly. I'm sure I'd find out differently if I were to give it a second (oops, third) viewing. That film also handled things slightly differently from the usual cinematic way of handling things.

I see what you did there.

Like I said, the book is very much faithfully adapted here. We all enjoyed the book. My daughter who LOVES to read (and is going into 3rd grade) has said she wants to get her own copy of the book to read even though she's heard the story and seen the film. She says you should read it as I sit here typing!

As far as changes, I would say that Via's relationships are trimmed for the film. The film night/woods fight sequence probably has the most changes to a single sequence that I remember- but they don't matter because the outcome is the same. And they lean into the bullying story a tad more in the book. There are some other changes too, but again they handle translation very well in my opinion.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

The 4K Bluray disc set of Wonder arrived today. I was remembering how I A/B'd a VHS tape and a DVD of Jurassic Park when I got the DVD for that film, long ago. I found a point where I could start both DVD and VHS and have them in close sync. By sheer luck, I got within about half a second of lock! The difference in quality was amazing.

So, nowadays I have a 4K Bluray player and a 2K Bluray player. I can A/B them using the HDMI inputs on the AV receiver. I might set up this movie (Wonder) to test whether 4K is really all that super-duper. The switch from A to B inputs won't be instantaneous the way they were for my DVD vs VHS test, but I should still be able to tell if there is a noticeable difference. Come to think of it, I could also do the same type of A/B comparison with Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, Amazing Spiderman 2, or Passengers.

I've only bought 5 movies with the 4K UHD discs. But only 4 of those are true 4K UHD. A documentary I got is an up-sampled 2K video. Well, both my Bluray players will up-sample to 4K if you attach them to a 4K television, so I was disappointed in that purchase (except the 3D version of the doc is really nice). Wanted something really UHD. That's why I bought 'Mazin Spidey 2 in 4K...to test out the new player with something that's actually that resolution! UHD looks good, but I'm not sure it looks all that gooder than HD.

Watched Cap'm 'Merica: Civil War in 3D last night. Pretty sweet. I am so looking forward to the next Spidey movie with Tom Holland.

Should I get 3D for Ready Player One? Should I get 3D for Infinity Wars? There are few offerings stateside of combo packs with UHD and 3D, so I'm usually forced to choose. I prefer dimension over higher rez, for most cases. Love me that 3D effect!

The Future Unreels

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am

Certain movies are great.
Check Bluray.com they have reviews for both Ready Player one in 4k and 3D. Infinity War looks good and it looked ok in 3D.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 pm
Profile YIM

I know your post was about comparing the HD quality.... but I don't think I could put Amazing Spiderman 2 back into a player of any kind- haha. That's my least favorite of all the Spidey films.

Civil War was good in 3D. I saw it that way in the theater. And Tom Holland is pretty great as Spiderman.

Have not seen Ready Player One but the book leads me to think it would benefit from the 3D treatment. So much of it was about the worlds, levels and the situations the characters are thrust into. I can't imagine that you wouldn't prefer the 3D version.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 pm
Profile WWW

It's cuz ALL the Spider-Man movies were remastered in actual 4k resolution. So they look good on his 4k tv.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:43 am
Profile YIM

Hank wrote:
I know your post was about comparing the HD quality.... but I don't think I could put Amazing Spiderman 2 back into a player of any kind- haha. That's my least favorite of all the Spidey films.

Interesting, because until Homecoming came out, the two Andrew Garfield Spidey movies were my favorites! But honestly, I could never buy Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker (way too old) and had troubles with Andrew Garfield (somewhat too old, but skinny). I know Tom Holland was 21 when he played Parker in Homecoming, but his voice is high enough in pitch and he's good at playing Peter the way I imagined the kid when reading the first Spiderman comics in the 1960s...so it's a successful sell. The banter is what sells the character (not his age) because that's the way the comic was written. Spiderman just wouldn't shut up. So I loved the partin Civil War when Falcon says, well, says this:

Falcon: [after being trapped by Spider-Man] I don't know if you've been in a fight before, but there's usually not this much talking.

Spider-Man: All right, sorry. My bad.

I bought the 3D Civil War for that exchange, really!

The Future Unreels

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am

Ace wrote:
It's cuz ALL the Spider-Man movies were remastered in actual 4k resolution. So they look good on his 4k tv.

They even did the Ramey Spiderman movies in 4K?

I own DVDs of 1 and 2, but never liked 3 enough to spend money on it.

The Future Unreels

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

Gort wrote:
They even did the Ramey Spiderman movies in 4K?

I own DVDs of 1 and 2, but never liked 3 enough to spend money on it.

Yep. They released in regularl Bluray in the "Mastered in 4k" line. Then they re-released them in 4k. There's a 4k bundle of them. Also best Buy has a steelbook with all 5 Spidey Movies in 4k.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Certain movies are great.
Check Bluray.com they have reviews for both Ready Player one in 4k and 3D. Infinity War looks good and it looked ok in 3D.

Yeah, I got that website bookmarked (and have an account there so I can have 'em checking prices for discs I want). I'll check out the RPO 3D and 4K reviews. There were none up last time I looked (early July, I think). It's closer to the release date now, though.

Infinity War needs many more spoilers to convince me to watch it. I'll have to read some of the posts about who gets turned to a pile of ash, and then I might see it.

I saw The Avengers (2012) in 3D at the theater. Wasn't much interested in seeing Age of Ultron, so haven't yet. There are way too many Marvel superhero movies for me to sustain interest. I mean, when half a film is fight fight fight it becomes boring to me. I'm interested in Ant Man because DC's The Atom was one of my faves when I was 13 or so.

And Infinity War might be one I'd like to see, although undoubtedly well over half that one is going to be fights.

I already bought Rampage (2018) on 3D, though. :)

The Future Unreels

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 am

Ace wrote:
Also best Buy has a steelbook with all 5 Spidey Movies in 4k.

Which will only set a fellow back $120.00!

The Future Unreels

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 am

It goes on sale all the time.
Also I really can spoil Infinity War for you. The surprise of what happens is part of watching.
Also watch Age of Ultron it's good. I think so. I like the team dynamic they build in it
For Infinity War you need to have seen Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther. Also to convince you Spider-Man gets some great screen time. Straight out of the comics he even webs Thanos in the face <3.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
It goes on sale all the time.
Also I really can spoil Infinity War for you. The surprise of what happens is part of watching.
Also watch Age of Ultron it's good. I think so. I like the team dynamic they build in it
For Infinity War you need to have seen Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther. Also to convince you Spider-Man gets some great screen time. Straight out of the comics he even webs Thanos in the face <3.

I have seen those two.

Since I know generally how the film ends, it's not going to be much of a surprise, except who and in what order, and which ones of them are questionable, etc.

You know none of them are dead, anymore than Superman was dead, or Batman.

It will all turn out to be a dream Jane Foster had.

The Future Unreels

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:21 am

Ace wrote:
Check Bluray.com they have reviews for both Ready Player one in 4k and 3D.

Hank wrote:
Have not seen Ready Player One but the book leads me to think it would benefit from the 3D treatment. So much of it was about the worlds, levels and the situations the characters are thrust into. I can't imagine that you wouldn't prefer the 3D version.

In direct result, I just bought this. I have to wait for it, also, because it doesn't ship Prime.

International version, supposedly region free. I've had good luck with region free 3D discs so far. Let's hope the luck holds. 4K, Bluray 3D, Bluray 2D, and a digital version that isn't available in the US! I'm sure any making of features will be non-English language.

The Future Unreels

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 am

Gort wrote:
I have seen those two.

Since I know generally how the film ends, it's not going to be much of a surprise, except who and in what order, and which ones of them are questionable, etc.

You know none of them are dead, anymore than Superman was dead, or Batman.

It will all turn out to be a dream Jane Foster had.

It's how it happens. I shed a tear during 1 scene. And if you watch you'll know which one. It was just so well acted on the actor's part.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:30 pm
Profile YIM

We recorded another episode. If you can take some time to listen and give us some thoughts.
https://soundcloud.com/user-327677431/episode-2

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:45 pm
Profile YIM

The RP1 Ultimate Edition package came in the mail today. The outside is all French Language. But the (to me useless) digital copy code sheet is French on one side and Nederlands (Dutch) on the other!
There are 90 minutes of extras, but I haven't had time to pop the discs in to 1. Be sure they are region free and 2. that the original soundtracks on the extras are in English with French subtitles.

I hope I don't hate this movie! I think at worst I'd find it to be one of Spielberg's rare not-actually-great films. He's made a few. But to me his films are always watchable, and enjoyable (with a few exceptions).

The Future Unreels

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 7108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143  Next