It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
 The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are. 
Post Re: The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are.

Gort wrote:
Clever.

My other two choices at the dealer where we went were 2012 and 2013 used Fiat 500s. But by the time we got there, both were sequestered with potential buyers, and I bought the Sebring! I've never even touched a Fiat 500, but I liked the first one I ever saw (in the 1960s) and I was thrilled to see that they were being imported to the US again a few years ago. But I couldn't afford a new one.

I suppose with a 4-seater and a 7-seater and all those bottoms to find places for, you would have to share cars. :D

I wanted something I could pay cash for, since I thought I would have no credit. I was willing to "build" more credit if I could borrow part of the purchase price, but I expected to make a down payment that would amount to 93% of the price of the car I bought. As it turned out you have to borrow at least $5,000.

The Fiats were unavailable.

So, I drove this one first. Very clean. Everything works. Only 5 years old. Silver in color, so cooler when sitting in the sun. No scratches, or tears or stains. And I had a Plymouth Voyager that lasted 12 years with few mechanical troubles, despite being stolen and wrecked when it was 2 years old. I figured another Chrysler product couldn't be a totally stupid choice.

I like driving again, after years of it being a drudge. A sweaty drudge in the summer time for the last 3 years.

What a coincidence that we both looked at Fiats! I completely understand wanting to pay cash and I would imagine that it would feel good to be driving again. Looks like you made a solid choice in the end... hope it works out!

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:51 pm
Profile WWW

traboule wrote:
Hank, your skies in your acrylics are my favorite thing, especially in Welkin. The pen on paper pieces, especially Lilt I, are incredible. Congratulations on your talent and hard work being recognized by this gallery! And yay for Gort's role in encouragement.

Thanks! I like to push my skies towards abstraction and play with texture a lot. It's funny, because back when I painted that piece for you ( 6 or 7 years ago now?) I new that I wanted to insert more texture into my work but wasn't comfortable enough with myself to be able to create it... or knowledgeable enough to carry it out. That landscape I painted for you was very much my beginnings as a landscape painter. I didn't know it at the time, but creating that piece was like having an ant walk across my skin. I got it off my back and sent it to you... only to have this itch remain with me all of these years. :)

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:04 pm
Profile WWW

Ace wrote:
I thought free was implied. :P

Haha... well, it's not unheard of... Both Gort and trab both received free art from me for winning the 2k Crew Challenges over at RT. And trip won the Alphabet thread I ran there (but he didn't want a prize mailed to him). Even here at the Corrie I gave away a free piece of art to kiddo in space for myFour Square thread... his prize is on the last page.

Along with two of those encouraging quotes from Gort that I was talking about:
Quote:
Someday you will be famous.

Quote:
"Honey, come over here and look at this painting!" He is joined by his 30-something wife. He points at the painting on a gallery wall. "This is by Nathanael Carroll. Remember, I've told you about him? Mr. Carroll, my fifth grade art teacher? And it's only $34,000. Wouldn't it look great on the wall over the living room fireplace?" She looks at it for a moment, steps back, studies the form. "Well, I don't really know what it is, yet it looks oddly familiar in some way. I love the color palette. Yes, I think it would look great against that fieldstone wall above the mantel. Yes. Let's get it."

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:15 pm
Profile WWW

Taking 85-year old Mom to visit some relatives tomorrow. First road trip in the newly-acquired Sebring. We're going to be on the road for both the trip up and the trip back for a total of nearly 5 hours. We'll see if it's a comfortable to ride in for that long, as much as we hoped it would be.

At least there will be music.

And air-conditioning.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:12 am

New Horizons is in good shape and functioning perfectly after the flyby. It was able to phone home.

There used to be cool stuff like this happening what seemed like all the time when I was in 6th grade.

Makes me feel like a kid again...except for the old fart misty eyes. :shifty:

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:09 am

When I was 28 years old I didn't phone home much.

Neither does my younger son, who moved to Barcelona, Spain last week to begin a new job as a game developer for a rather visible game company. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say which company. There's no guidance on this, as I haven't heard from him since he moved. Neither has his older brother. But their mom somehow managed to get in touch with him and word got back through the bro that he's doing fine. But he has WiFi only in his apartment. And spend most of his time at home talking to his girlfriend in California.

At first I felt rather emotional about him being so far away. But now I have a clock set on my World Time app that tracks what time it is over there, and somehow that's made me feel a little better about it.

I sure hope he loves the job and the working environment. I wanted to go live and work in Germany (simply because I knew the language) when I was in my 20s. Never got the opportunity. So it was difficult for me to walk a narrow path between being encouraging or discouraging as he was making up his mind about this. But I think I managed to be neither. To simply be a sounding board. I pointed out good things that could happen if he became an ex-pat, and some not so good things. I let him choose.

Among posters on this board probably Jedi knows the most about what my son is going through right now.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:59 am

Your son sold out and went to work for the Evil corporation that is Ubisoft?

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:37 am
Profile YIM

I almost never called my parents at 28 as well. Something about that stage of life, I suppose. That's starting to change more and more however. Grandchildren have helped me keep in touch. It's an easy common denominator... something that we can always talk about and have mutual interest in. I've always struggled talking to my mother more than my father, honestly. My father and I have the same general profession: teaching (him: carpentry, me: art) and we also both love biking. Common interests certainly help anyone get along with anyone else.

I'm sure I'd be quite emotional if my son ended up moving across the world as well. Perhaps having the clock set to his time just gives you a mutual interest that helps. Best of luck staying in touch. I'm sure as he gets older reaching out will become a higher priority. It has for me, anyway.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:44 am
Profile WWW

Ace wrote:
Your son sold out and went to work for the Evil corporation that is Ubisoft?

Thank goodness, no. It was a different one.

But I know his salary, and he definitely sold out. Wish I could sell out for that kind of money.

Ubisoft probably stole their name from Philip K. Dick.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:50 am

Gort wrote:
Thank goodness, no. It was a different one.

But I know his salary, and he definitely sold out. Wish I could sell out for that kind of money.

Ubisoft probably stole their name from Philip K. Dick.

Well that's good. They were the only big name Game dev company I could find in Barcelona.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:29 pm
Profile YIM

Ace, I thought sure you'd have some comments to post about my Batman Rematch. But...nada. I was disappointed. :(

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:20 am

Gort wrote:
Ace, I thought sure you'd have some comments to post about my Batman Rematch. But...nada. I was disappointed. :(

I completely missed it while you were doing it. Although I did like where you explored the animated movie. I'll have to re-read it again.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:14 pm
Profile YIM

traboule wrote:
Gort, have you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith? It may not be exactly "this encapsulates girlhood" for me but it is one of the best coming-of-age books I've read where the main character is a girl.

It was published in the 1950's I think, and before I read it, I had this mistaken assumption that it was a sentimental book, but it's actually really clear-eyed about everything.

Trab, if you check in, I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn via Kindle, which means I don't lose my place if I take a break to read other books (On the Beach). Thank you for the recommendation. It's very long, which is a plus for something as absorbing as this story. I kind of don't want it to end (though I know it will) and it's given me some parallels that have worked into essays in the Rematch and Future threads! :)

I'm into Book Four now.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:10 am

...because, of course, any student who made a bomb to bring to school would walk in with it right out where anyone could see it. Why, that's the most natural thing in the world. It would be stupid to think that what looks like a clock is a ... clock, right?

Sadly, the competent ones in school administration never make the news, but at least they are in charge of most of our kids.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:22 am

I would go as far as to say that most of the news doesn't show very many competent people in any of their stories. There are more competent people than the news gives us credit for, anyway.

In movie news, I finally forced myself to watch The Ladykillers which has been the only film from the Coen Brothers filmography missing from my viewed list for a long time. I had suspected that I wouldn't much care for it... even though I like almost everything they've ever done. It had some nice qualities and some of the quirkiness worked. But I found Tom Hanks to be very annoying. Which I suspected would happen from the previews and is what had held me back from watching it all these years. But now I can say I've seen all their feature films... and I don't think this was my least favorite of theirs. It would be toward the bottom though.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:19 am
Profile WWW

I've seen only part of The Ladykillers. And I've never seen the 1955 original.

But I did briefly consider it for a rematch. 8-)

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:21 am

Interesting. It's funny because I associate the Coen Brothers with original works... yet The Ladykillers and True Grit are remakes... and several of their films are based on other works. Perhaps it is because they all have a certain feel to them.

Did you consider True Grit at any time for a rematch? I loved the John Wayne as a kid... and as an adult I was delighted with it's remake.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:27 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
But now I can say I've seen all their feature films... and I don't think this was my least favorite of theirs. It would be toward the bottom though.
Aw, you can't say this without telling us which is your least favorite! Mine's Intolerable Cruelty, but I haven't seen Hudsucker, No Country, or Ladykillers.

Rough ranking (though I love everything through Blood Simple):

A Serious Man
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona
Barton Fink
True Grit
Fargo
Inside Llewyn Davis
Blood Simple
Miller's Crossing
The Big Lebowski
The Man Who Wasn't There
Burn After Reading
Intolerable Cruelty

Wonder Woman ▪ The Running Man ▪ Mohabbatein ▪ Veer-Zaara ▪ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ▪ Pierrot le fou ▪ Highway ▪ Leningrad Cowboys Go America ▪ Band Baaja Baaraat ▪ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ▪ Jab We Met

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:31 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Aw, you can't say this without telling us which is your least favorite! Mine's Intolerable Cruelty, but I haven't seen Hudsucker, No Country, or Ladykillers.

Rough ranking (though I love everything through Blood Simple):

A Serious Man
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona
Barton Fink
True Grit
Fargo
Inside Llewyn Davis
Blood Simple
Miller's Crossing
The Big Lebowski
The Man Who Wasn't There
Burn After Reading
Intolerable Cruelty

:P I've never been too good at compiling lists. I kinda like this "rough ranking" idea of yours though
A Serious Man
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
True Grit
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
Blood Simple.
Inside Llewyn Davis
Miller's Crossing
O' Brother Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona
Burn After Reading
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Ladykillers
Intolerable Cruelty
Hudsucker Proxy

Basically though... think of it like a gray scale chart... where each film kinda washes and blends with the others ranked around it. Depending on my mood or the day, each of these films could probably slide a spot or two up or down but it'd be a stretch for them to move 4 or 5. But I would say that I generally agree with your ranks. And by my account, you're not missing out on their better outings with 2 of your blind spots, but I do have a tremendous soft spot for No Country for Old Men.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:44 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Interesting. It's funny because I associate the Coen Brothers with original works... yet The Ladykillers and True Grit are remakes... and several of their films are based on other works. Perhaps it is because they all have a certain feel to them.

Did you consider True Grit at any time for a rematch? I loved the John Wayne as a kid... and as an adult I was delighted with it's remake.
I did. I've seen both films, and I like the Coen version better. But it's because of something I've posted about on the forum before: I'm from Arkansas, and I have property up near Fort Smith, and it doesn't look like the Rockies up there. So when I first saw the film as a 17 year old at the Malco Theater in Memphis, TN, I was okay until they showed the mountains, and then the movie lost nearly all its credibility.

But I did love that famous John Wayne line: "Fill your hand you son-of-a-bitch!" Ha ha. My parents were sitting there and had to hear that from the movie screen. Hee hee! I was delighted. Also, that John Wayne was human enough to actually cuss.

The Coen movie was made in a geographic area that more closely approximates that area of Arkansas and Oklahoma.

I must confess to having developed a hopeless crush on Kim Darby because of the 1969 film. And the Malco Theater has now reverted to its original identity as The Orpheum. I think this is all repeat information from me, now that I ponder it. :D

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:52 am

As for the listing, I've only seen these films of theirs:

A Serious Man
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
True Grit
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
Miller's Crossing
Raising Arizona
(seen in several parts over the years. maybe not even every bit of it, but it was hyylarious!)
Burn After Reading
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Ladykillers
(about 15-20 minutes of this one)

That's Hank's order for the ones I've seen. And I'd be hard-pressed to make any kind of order, because there are aspects of all their films that I treasure, and little irritants in all of them. Of all these I resonated least to The Big Lebowski and Burn After Reading, but there are parts of both that I love. Who wouldn't dig an entire hotel collapsing? And Burn gets so freakishly unbelievable by the end that I loved all that.

As for the rest, I have been known to sit slack-jawed in stunned admiration for just how uncannily bizarre they can get with plot twists and turns and character quirks, and still tell a damn good story. At first No Country alienated me with a relative lack of humor, but when I re-watched it there was a certain kind of substance to it that I also find in A Serious Man that is just as fascinating as their weird sense of humor. And they handle both very well. They can drive this kind of plot to and beyond all reason and keep it going full steam while they take you into places you can't believe you could go, and still the story doesn't fall apart. Not sure how they do it, but I'm glad they do.

Heck, I'm sounding like a Coen fan-boy, but I don't apologize.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Gort wrote:
I did. I've seen both films, and I like the Coen version better. But it's because of something I've posted about on the forum before: I'm from Arkansas, and I have property up near Fort Smith, and it doesn't look like the Rockies up there. So when I first saw the film as a 17 year old at the Malco Theater in Memphis, TN, I was okay until they showed the mountains, and then the movie lost nearly all its credibility.

But I did love that famous John Wayne line: "Fill your hand you son-of-a-bitch!" Ha ha. My parents were sitting there and had to hear that from the movie screen. Hee hee! I was delighted. Also, that John Wayne was human enough to actually cuss.

The Coen movie was made in a geographic area that more closely approximates that area of Arkansas and Oklahoma.

I must confess to having developed a hopeless crush on Kim Darby because of the 1969 film. And the Malco Theater has now reverted to its original identity as The Orpheum. I think this is all repeat information from me, now that I ponder it. :D

Ah... I do remember reading about your beef ( or should I say Laboeuf, ha-cha!) with the landscapes in the original. The final showdown is what I always adored as a child, sitting on the couch with my dad. He has always been a fan of the western genre. For a time I thought that there wasn't a western that he hadn't subjected me to... but in college I stumbled onto Once Upon a Time in the West and called him afterward, "Hey... what's the deal? Why didn't you ever watch this one with me?" To which he replied that he hadn't seen it. I brought it home over my next break and we watched it together. Westerns are one of the things that we bond over. More on topic... we even went to see the Coen's True Grit together at the theater in a tip of the hat to my childhood. Not at the Malco Theater though... or even at The Orpheum which it is now known as.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

Gort wrote:
As for the listing, I've only seen these films of theirs:

A Serious Man
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
True Grit
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
Miller's Crossing
Raising Arizona
(seen in several parts over the years. maybe not even every bit of it, but it was hyylarious!)
Burn After Reading
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Ladykillers
(about 15-20 minutes of this one)

That's Hank's order for the ones I've seen. And I'd be hard-pressed to make any kind of order, because there are aspects of all their films that I treasure, and little irritants in all of them. Of all these I resonated least to The Big Lebowski and Burn After Reading, but there are parts of both that I love. Who wouldn't dig an entire hotel collapsing? And Burn gets so freakishly unbelievable by the end that I loved all that.

As for the rest, I have been known to sit slack-jawed in stunned admiration for just how uncannily bizarre they can get with plot twists and turns and character quirks, and still tell a damn good story. At first No Country alienated me with a relative lack of humor, but when I re-watched it there was a certain kind of substance to it that I also find in A Serious Man that is just as fascinating as their weird sense of humor. And they handle both very well. They can drive this kind of plot to and beyond all reason and keep it going full steam while they take you into places you can't believe you could go, and still the story doesn't fall apart. Not sure how they do it, but I'm glad they do.

Heck, I'm sounding like a Coen fan-boy, but I don't apologize.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded.... and part of me feels that some the little irritants... actually... somehow manage to worm their way into reasons I like the films. Strange.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:20 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Basically though... think of it like a gray scale chart... where each film kinda washes and blends with the others ranked around it. Depending on my mood or the day, each of these films could probably slide a spot or two up or down but it'd be a stretch for them to move 4 or 5.
Mmm, I've never seen a better description of the list-making process! Love that you have A Serious Man at the top. I'm going to have to get around to No Country one of these days. :)

Wonder Woman ▪ The Running Man ▪ Mohabbatein ▪ Veer-Zaara ▪ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ▪ Pierrot le fou ▪ Highway ▪ Leningrad Cowboys Go America ▪ Band Baaja Baaraat ▪ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ▪ Jab We Met

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:40 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Mmm, I've never seen a better description of the list-making process! Love that you have A Serious Man at the top. I'm going to have to get around to No Country one of these days. :)

Oh, well thank you for the complement!

A Serious Man just hooks me every time. Love the opening. Love pretty much everything that follows. And it's so convincing... as Gort as pointed out (if I remember correctly) that it is one of the most accurate depictions of that time he's ever seen. Hopefully I'm not remembering that wrong in making my point. The music works so well and the acting is tremendous in my opinion. And the end! *swoon* :heart:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:20 am
Profile WWW

Haha! Just now when I logged in I saw this: