It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
 The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are. 
Post Re: The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are.

Ace wrote:
Get it with Part 1! Since that one made great use of the 3D too. That way you at least have the nice set.

And speaking of nice set. The Amazing Spider-Man movies had some ok ish 3D. The first one was filmed in that but the image didnt pop out it was more about depth. 2nd One popped more even though it was post converted and that's just cuz they changed the color scheme which I think helped a lot.

I saw #1 in the theater, in 3D. I own the flat versions of both 1 and 2.

And I already had Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs #1, because it was laying on top of a Blu-bin one day when I moseyed by.

I'm ordering part 2 alongside House of Wax 3D.

I have gone a bit crazy in the past few days. Yikes!

My mother is 87, suffering from dementia which keeps worsening. She's been watching these 3D films with me. We watched Creature From the Black Lagoon 3D this afternoon. Neither of us had ever seen it in 3D. I caught this one and the one I'll mention in a minute on some special weekend they had on TCM, back when we had TCM.

Then, when she was getting ready to maybe go watch TV in her room, she stopped by my office door and asked if I was going to watch another movie. Which I wasn't. But we did. Because she asked. We saw It Came from Outer Space 3D. Both of these have a commentary track, and I'll want to listen to those later.

Tomorrow it's back to work. I've enjoyed my nearly four-day weekend.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Tue May 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Sorry to hear about her condition but its good you get to enjoy these movies with her! Glad you get to enjoy these movies in 3D. Which ones have you watched besides the ones already mentioned.

Tue May 30, 2017 2:50 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Which ones have you watched besides the ones already mentioned.

Without looking back at the previous page I can answer that by listing the 7 we watched this past weekend:
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Dial M for Murder
Flight of the Butterflies
(documentary)
It Came from Outer Space
Kubo and the Two Strings
WWII in 3D
(documentary)
and just me and my nephew, who is 23, Mad Max Fury Road.

When watching the two black and white 3D movies from the 50's, I noticed a few anomalies with image placement so that for a brief shot there would be eyestrain. I learned that the early 3D technique used most, required two synchronized film projectors with the two films in perfect sync and alignment. So I figure what happened was that whoever lined up the left and right eye images for the Bluray of the movies didn't get the alignment quite exact during that brief period, and it caused the problems that a lot of people experienced in the 1950s if the projectionist wasn't really skillful in showing the 3D films. In 1966 Space Vision was used to make a film, and it was allegedly the first public exhibition of single-strip 3D film. Failure to align in the digital domain could result from something as simple as shrinking of a few frames of film now and again, which would lead to misalignment for part of the image during the passage of those frames. That's just my explanation of it. I'm surmising based on something I read.

I can see why people would give up on a technique that might cause that kind of eyestrain during the entire run of the film!

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Wed May 31, 2017 10:35 am

I found this site that has sussed out the particulars of 4K discs and reputedly will tell us whether it was sourced on 4K or higher, or it was upscaled from 2K.

The only 4K disc I have was upscaled, and doesn't look as good as the scaling my Samsung player does on an HD disc, actually.

Of the true 4K Blurays in their list there is one that I already have, and one I'm not sure I want. :?

But Youtube 4K footage looks so gorgeous, I've got to try a disc.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 am

Bluray.com usually tells you if it's a real or 4k. But I'm sure all they do is check the the IMDB page since that tells you what the DI is.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:31 am
Profile YIM

I think I'll buy the Best Buy edition of Kong Skull Island. I may have already mentioned it. 4K, Bluray 3D, and Bluray, with a digital version as well. But it's 40 bucks. I haven't seen the flick, but I have the 2014 Godzilla 3D.

But the Kong discs won't be out for another 2 months. In the meantime I want to get a movie that I don't have, maybe X-Men Apocalypse, that is real 4K. Walmart has it for 20 bucks online. Maybe it's the same price in the store.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:46 am

It's real 4k? I thought it was 2k upscaled? I want to get the steelbook for Kong but it's a bight high for my tastes. But you might want to pre-order that since they're steelbooks have been selling out pretty early.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:52 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
It's real 4k? I thought it was 2k upscaled? I want to get the steelbook for Kong but it's a bight high for my tastes. But you might want to pre-order that since they're steelbooks have been selling out pretty early.

I'd better go check that before I order it or set my heart on it.

EDIT: You are so right. Glad you mentioned that. I'll stick with the cheaper Blu 3D on this one.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:31 pm

The price will go down. I'll probably end up getting the 4k version. But it would be nice to have both versions. Sony had been bundling both 3D and 4k movies for some of their releases.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:47 am
Profile YIM

Kong probably looks great in both formats. It was a quality flick that was gorgerously shot.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:19 am

That's heartening to know, but I think for the time being I'll stick with HD Bluray and let my player and TV upscale them for me. The upscaling looks very good. Because of the mismatch between SD and UHD in pixel count, that is ratios aren't evenly divisible, DVDs don't upscale quite as cleanly as they did on my HD monitor, but they look fabulous from across the room.

I can sit three feet from the screen with my 4K The Amazing Spiderman 2 disc playing, and it's comfortable. But with 3D you have to be further away just to get convergence of the images in the eyes. And Bluray or DVD upscaling...well, I'll always want to be across the room for that.

The Amazon Video 4K streams are superb, but there aren't all that many, yet. I've got some IMAX docs and Spectre in my queue. Youtube 4K looks pretty great so far, but the quality of cameras used varies.

I'm pleased with my purchase, no matter the expense. I'm just about done with receiving my first round of acquisition of 3D movies. Only Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is left to come in. But there are others I'd like to get in 3D.

Many of them I could have bought in 3D to begin with, but I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to buy a 3D set. And at the time it seemed that you could get a 3D TV at any time in the future. I never saw people rejecting them to the point that manufacturers would stop making them. But apparently we are at that point. If I had waited another few months until the 2018 models come out I'd either have had to buy a used 3D TV, or have had to spend $4-5K to get the feature on a screen that's too big for my room, or have continued to go without. Didn't want the last option. Or the first. Couldn't afford the middle one. As it is, I bought the cheapest new model 3D TV that's available this year.

At this point it seems likely that I will acquire more 3D films (even the used copies I've bought are in good shape and play fine, and cost less than new in most cases), and I'm not likely to buy 4K discs except infrequently. There is a curve that I've noticed over the years with used DVD and Bluray sales. The price falls until the rare discs (like 3Ds) become rarer, and then the price goes up. You've got to catch the curve as far into the valley as you can. I've never seen a film with 3D at the theater where I didn't enjoy the 3D effect. I've seen a couple of rotters that weren't helped by 3D, though.

So, I'll be buying more 3D discs than I need to, but it's just what I want to do for now, and a financial setback could keep me from getting many more. But I thought that about the discs for the Remake Rematch thread, and I've got over a hundred I bought just for that.

I'll be relying on you guys for recs!

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:01 am

Hoo hoo!

Ace, not only did I get Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D for 5 dollars thanks to your tip, I got Dredd 3D for $3.74 as the same kind of add-on Item. But it's going to be here in only 3 days. Don't have the Meatballs disc yet.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:03 am

Nice. I need to get Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. I own 1 but non 3D. Dredd was 3D regardless since it came bundled on the 2D disc.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:24 am
Profile YIM

In case you haven't seen it, the 3D conversion of Predator (1987) is pretty good. There were only a handful of shots where the conversion turned out kind of gritty. Always in shots where the camera was panning to track a running person through the jungle foliage. The rest is very clean and seems realistic.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41 am

There was a big deal about that Bluray release cuz the 2D they removed ALL of the film grain so the movie looked really soft.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:17 pm
Profile YIM

Well, yeah, there is that problem. It isn't cleaned up to the point that it looks like it was originated on video, but Arnold occasionally appears to be 3D CGI! Ha ha! Once they get all dirty and bloody, that effect is diminished.

Because I can't afford to buy all the Bluray 3D's I'd like to watch, I found 3D Bluray Rental.com in a search. Their prices are fairly high: cheapest plan is $8.99/month for 2 3D Bluray rentals. You can also rent one at a time for 7 days without a plan. I could see Dr. Strange in 3D much sooner that way, as a $5.99 rental.

This TV is as much fun as my old Viewmaster was when I was 55 years younger! But now, it's not Dad's money I'm spending. :D

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:11 pm

I just watched Dr. Strange on Blu... and I'm not sure if it's because of this thread or the film itself... but I found myself thinking, "I bet this would look great in 3D."

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:45 pm
Profile WWW

It did look great in IMAX 3D the "trippy" sequences looked great in 3D as there was an INWARD depth to them.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:16 am
Profile YIM

Dr Strange in 3D is now mine. Found it at Best Buy locally, at a price lower than I've seen online. Also charged some others to the account that was set up to pay for the 3D TV..

I had only 8 Bluray 3D movies two weeks ago. That's quite a lot to own for someone who doesn't even have a 3D television. Ha ha! Now I have
42 3D movies, 6 on order, the rest on the shelf
They are crowding out my regular Bluray discs.

I didn't realize I would love 3D movies so much. I knew I liked them, but getting the TV has been like getting a new teenager. Always demanding to be fed, and with a bottomless appetite. And the trouble is that it's all in my head. The TV isn't begging me to buy more films to watch.

I'm buying some films that I bought before on Bluray and could have gotten the 3D discs, but I "saved a little money" on buying 2D. And now I'm acquiring them. Some of these titles I owned on DVD before getting the Bluray disc. Still, only 9 of the new discs are triple-dips. Some on my future acquisitions list are triple dips, though.

I noticed that the three Hobbit films in 3D, and Titanic in 3D are split onto two Bluray discs. I noted this with Titanic because when I first bought the movie it was on VHS, and it came on two cassettes! The film came on a single DVD. Well, the new purchase has Bluray and Bluray 3D, so I guess I've bought that movie on just about every format it's come in except HD-VHS and HD-DVD. Was it released on Laserdisc? I didn't buy that one, either.

In this case I bought Titanic 3D becaue it came in a box with Avatar, which I wanted. Oh, and Avatar is a double dip, because I saved 8 bucks and didn't buy the 3D version years ago when I got the Blu.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:40 am

It's why I was buying the 3D blu's a while ago. I was saying to myself "Well I guess I might get a 3D tv someday" so I just kept getting them.
According to Bluray.com I own 45 3D movies.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:11 am
Profile YIM

You own 3 more than I do.

While I washed my car this afternoon a movie I'd like to see in 3D came to mind. Not one that I own, of course. I've read recently that the original Jurassic Park is being or has been converted. I didn't look up the release date. There was a box with all four JP movies at Best Buy yesterday, but it didn't say that Bluray 3D was on the case because all 4 are 3D, or because Jurassic World is 3D. I won't buy until I can satisfy myself that the first three have been converted. ;)

I am craving the Toy Story series. The price fell a dollar this week. Maybe it will be on deep sale soon. If not, maybe at Christmas time. And, my girlfriend-in-law gave me Rise of the Guardians for Christmas in 2013. It is also available in 3D, and it would look superb in that format. So I'll get it sometime. When my son handed it to me he told me that she had selected it because she's more into film than he is. I looked at it and smiled and thanked them for it. When I got back home to Arkansas I watched it with trepidation...for the first minute or so, and then I was enthralled by the artwork. Some find the film stultifying, but I'm at Nostalgia Peak in my life, and I found it charming.

So, my list is getting longer. And longer.

There is no end to this. I can see that now.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:58 am

Yes if you're really into 3D and have a good set the rabbit hole is endless haha.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 pm
Profile YIM

I was wondering if you have a friend with a 3D TV where you can take movies from your collection and at least watch them sometimes.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Nope. Nobody near me owns a 3D tv. :cry:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile YIM

Do you Vudu on your phone or tablet?

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:48 am

I do it on my Game Console. But I also use it on my phone every once in a while.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 am
Profile YIM

A movie disc set came today for a film that I had seen before, and I watched it again, not just to check the discs like I have with most of my new 3D acquisitions, but all the way through:
15/06/17 Mars Needs Moms Simon Wells 2011
08/09/11 Mars Needs Moms Simon Wells 2011

It was one of the first movies I streamed on Netflix, and I always wanted to see it in 3D. I did tonight. The dimensional work is really good, and the mo-cap is also very well-done.

Someone recently listed this as one of the 10 worst animated film ever made. I disagree. Her taste in films is obviously different from mine. I haven't seen any of the others on her list, but they were all cheaply made. She didn't like the character design of the Martians, and said "the plot didn't make any sense."

Isn't supposed to. Otherwise Mars wouldn't need Moms. Duh.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Hoodwinked was fine. I liked what they did with it.
I never saw the sequel. And Mars need Moms was the reason we didnt get "John Carter of Mars" but instead "John Carter". And hey another movie I saw in 3D and own!.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Hoodwinked was fine. I liked what they did with it.
I never saw the sequel. And Mars need Moms was the reason we didnt get "John Carter of Mars" but instead "John Carter". And hey another movie I saw in 3D and own!.

Meaning Moms or Carter?

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:23 am

John Carter. I never saw Moms. I think I could get moms from Disney Movie Rewards for free tho if I wanted.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:14 am
Profile YIM

Specter (2015) was very good-looking streaming from Amazon Prime video. There was one scene (when Bond confronts White) where the dark areas had jpeg blocking in them, probably because they were so expansive in the shot. The rest didn't have the usual visible artifacts of compression. I sat two feet from my TV to watch the movie. With the surround sound it was very much like being in the theater, except I could pause for a bathroom break.

As for the criticisms that there is an incoherent plot, I have to make the same response I made for the Godzilla movies when doing that rematch, except with a word substitution. "It's a Bond movie!" I've seen over half of them and have yet to see a truly coherent plot. :D Bond movies are gun-porn, from back before there was that term. And there's a little soft-core thrown into some of them that isn't the gun type. Spectre is PG-13 so only gun-porn is allowed.

So far the new TV is holding its own!

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (2016) arrived yesterday and I sampled it to be sure the discs will all play. It looks fabulous in both 4K-60fps, and 3D.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Damm Billy Lynn's is a movie you're going to have to watch twice. Once in 3D and the other in 4k and possibly a third in lower fps.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 am
Profile YIM

Have you seen it?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:38 am

In an essay in the Rematch of 3:10 to Yuma, published on 1 May 2012, I wrote:
YouTookMyName wrote:
The 2007 version presents even more of these moments, though. I was staring at Logan Lerman, trying to figure out where I had seen his face before, once I realized that his role as William Evans was substantially larger than that of Barry Curtis who played his counterpart, named Matthew Evans, in the 1957 film. When the film was done and I hit the IMDb site, I learned that Lerman's was a trailers-only face to me at that time. His portrayal of William Evans is all I have ever seen him do, other than snippets in trailers. But I was very impressed by his role in 3:10 to Yuma. Maybe his presence would rescue Percy Jackson? I'm not sure I want to find out.
Well, even though I didn't recall seeing the movie, on 24 January 2011, a year and four months before I wrote those words, I saw Logan Lerman playing Simon in Gamer (2009) streaming on Netflix. The only reason I was able to trace this back is because I just got the 3D version of Gamer, and as I was checking the disc to be sure it plays all the way through, I saw Lerman playing Simon, the boy who guides Kable through level after level of the game Slayers. That's why Lerman's face looked familiar when I first watched 3:10 to Yuma (2007). In that movie, Gamer, people control others in what amounts to a video game, with real humans as players rather than computer-generated 3D characters.

Mystery solved.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 am

Gort wrote:
Have you seen it?

No I kinda want to watch the HFR version. Cuz that's how it was filmed.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:16 am
Profile YIM

Hank wrote:
I just watched Dr. Strange on Blu... and I'm not sure if it's because of this thread or the film itself... but I found myself thinking, "I bet this would look great in 3D."

I checked out my Dr Strange 3D disc last night...and you're right. I didn't watch the entire film, but I found it difficult to click through all the chapters. I kept getting drawn in. The mad race up the coastal highway and what happens after that looks really wonderful in 3D. I understand the injury to his hands, which I didn't get from 2D.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:01 am

Gort wrote:
I checked out my Dr Strange 3D disc last night...and you're right. I didn't watch the entire film, but I found it difficult to click through all the chapters. I kept getting drawn in. The mad race up the coastal highway and what happens after that looks really wonderful in 3D. I understand the injury to his hands, which I didn't get from 2D.

Good to know! I found out that I have a co-worker who has a 3D tv... so I was talking to him about it a little. Might go over to his house to watch some.

Also, I recently streamed Kubo from the Net of Flix. I believe I got the recommendation from you... twas very good! The overall design... *swoons*

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:00 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Good to know! I found out that I have a co-worker who has a 3D tv... so I was talking to him about it a little. Might go over to his house to watch some.

Also, I recently streamed Kubo from the Net of Flix. I believe I got the recommendation from you... twas very good! The overall design... *swoons*

Kubo is also very good in 3D. It's one of the 8 discs I bought as 3D before I got the new TV.

I hope you've had time to keep up with the Rematch thread.

When Mom and I watched the original B&W 2D 1951 The Day the Earth Stood Still on Friday night, I got out the prize I received for winning the trivia thread at Rotten tomatoes forums, sent to me on 26 Feb 2008, unrolled it and showed it to her while we watched the resurrection scene! I wish I could get it framed and hang it, but I don't have any place on my walls to display it. I'm sure being rolled will hurt neither the gesso nor the ink. It would have to be framed sandwiched between glass, so the congratulatory message on the back wouldn't be obscured. I've thought of a glass sandwich, floating the piece, with a wooden frame border, sitting on a support trivet. But I've never taken the drawing to the store where I got the movie review framed, to see what the idea might cost me.

I hope you are enjoying parenthood, husbandhood, and mentoring all those young artists at school, to the hilt. And that your professional art career is going somewhere, in the meantime. I thought about you yesterday, on Father's Day. :)

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:52 am

While making toast to go with my ramen soup for lunch, I remembered an incident that happened in 1977.

So, it was 40 years ago, in the summer, and one morning as I prepared breakfast I walked over to the toaster and reached for the toast at the same instant when it popped up. Coincidence, certainly. But as a hopeful future filmmaker I wondered how could you rig a prop so that an actor could walk over to a toaster and catch the toast just as it popped up? Not even timing everything to try to have the actor catch an actual lift would work, because between individual devices there are differences that would make calibration difficult. I decided that it would be impossible. If you timed how long it takes toast to pop up and then went for the take, the toast wouldn't pop up at the same time. It would likely be sooner.

If you timed the toaster and let the device cool down completely to room temperature, and then went for it, the difference in water content in the bread could make it pop at a different time. I couldn't think of a way to replicate the coincidence with an actual lift. It didn't even seem worth the time to do some real world trials to find out if my intuition was correct.

The only way I could think of was to rig a cold toaster with a radio remote (very expensive in those days, but, hey it would be for the movies) and have a property person trigger the toaster just as the actor reached for it.

When I tried for the fiftieth time (or so, who's counting) to just haphazardly reach for the toaster as the baked bread lifted today, I was about 1.5 seconds too early. The coincidence has never been repeated. Not a single time. It was truly a once in a lifetime event! :D

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:40 am

I think because those days your toaster wasnt exact? Like I have an older toaster that has a knob on how toasted I want my toast and I'm sure everytime I move the knob even a millimeter the time gets knocked off. Couldnt' you have timed it with a watch to see how normal toast popped up and just timed the take around that?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:12 am
Profile YIM

I made it sound like I didn't do any experimentation, but actually I did one experiment. I timed the toast with a stopwatch (mechanical in those days!). I restarted a new round of toast and learned that because the toaster was already warmed up it popped several seconds earlier. I don't recall how many.

And on another note: Rogue One (2016) was kind of dull in December when I saw it 2D in a theater. The third dimension helped make it more interesting, and comprehensible. And, I guess, the fact that I had already seen it.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

I enjoyed it as an addition to the Star Wars universe. And for introducing the world to the Darth Vader I have always loved. Well the one specifically in the comics I read when he's conniving and evil.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:00 am
Profile YIM

Also Star Trek Beyond 3D is on sale right now for 15 bucks.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:26 am
Profile YIM

Gort wrote:
Kubo is also very good in 3D. It's one of the 8 discs I bought as 3D before I got the new TV.

I hope you've had time to keep up with the Rematch thread.

When Mom and I watched the original B&W 2D 1951 The Day the Earth Stood Still on Friday night, I got out the prize I received for winning the trivia thread at Rotten tomatoes forums, sent to me on 26 Feb 2008, unrolled it and showed it to her while we watched the resurrection scene! I wish I could get it framed and hang it, but I don't have any place on my walls to display it. I'm sure being rolled will hurt neither the gesso nor the ink. It would have to be framed sandwiched between glass, so the congratulatory message on the back wouldn't be obscured. I've thought of a glass sandwich, floating the piece, with a wooden frame border, sitting on a support trivet. But I've never taken the drawing to the store where I got the movie review framed, to see what the idea might cost me.

I hope you are enjoying parenthood, husbandhood, and mentoring all those young artists at school, to the hilt. And that your professional art career is going somewhere, in the meantime. I thought about you yesterday, on Father's Day. :)

Ahh... the 2k thread! I have fond memories of that thread and RT. Haven't even lurked over there in years though. I do lurk here still when I get the chance (including the Rematch thread). That framing idea sounds nice! Hard to believe we are coming up on 10 years since I sent you that... Time is a strange thing. Nice to hear you still have it, at least! To think, that was before I had ever shown my work to the public. Since then, I've shown my work in dozens of shows, and in galleries in PA, NYC and Italy... my work was even published in a book.

Parenthood is crazy and rewarding. We are in the process of adopting a 4th child (making for 5 total kids including our biological daughter). I try to be the best husband I can. My teaching year was rough, but I am eager to try to turn somethings around next year.

Do you still write? I still have my copy of The Legendary Toby Kiemun on my shelf by my drawing table. I haven't had much time for reading or I'd probably order Life s not a Dream. I tend to listen to audiobooks to and from work these days. Last school year I "read" 13 books that way.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Parenthood is crazy and rewarding. We are in the process of adopting a 4th child (making for 5 total kids including our biological daughter). I try to be the best husband I can. My teaching year was rough, but I am eager to try to turn some things around next year.

Perhaps you'll someday have a reality TV show about how many kids you've adopted? ;) I can't find the link right now, but for my ESL students I found a page about what foreign residents of the US find so very different, or maybe it was the things that they tell people back home, but their friends and family don't believe them. Apparently, in some parts of the world adopted children are treated as second-class kids by their foster parents. In the USA and several other countries, though, they are usually not treated any differently from the biologicals. And that's what people in those other countries find so unbelievable about the US. People adopt children and then treat them as if they were their own kids. That's why we think of them in this country as our own kids, when we adopt. They become our children.

Sorry to hear that the teaching year was rough. I'm certain that took some of the reward out of it for you.
Hank wrote:
Do you still write? I still have my copy of The Legendary Toby Kiemun on my shelf by my drawing table. I haven't had much time for reading or I'd probably order Life s not a Dream. I tend to listen to audiobooks to and from work these days. Last school year I "read" 13 books that way.

I do still write, but I have never been able to finish a book unless it's the only thing I have to do. And I attain that status only very rarely. Like, uhm, once in my life so far! :D To keep my hand in at writing, though, I work on the ideas for novels, And, of course, I create written fluff such as the Rematch thread.

I arranged for my younger son to work on the problem of finding and changing style tags in the HTML for the electronic versions of my finished novels last summer. Two weeks after he accepted, and we had everything set up technically for him to begin, he got a job. Now his brother has graduated from university with a BS in Computer Science, at last, and is seeking work. In a couple of days I will extend the same offer to him. Maybe he'll get work quickly, too!?

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:44 am

3D discs!

I got this one from Amazon just yesterday. The cool thing about it is that, according to the producer, over 70% of the photos taken during the Civil War in the US were stereograms. The technique was invented in 1838, and had become very popular by the time of the Civil War. Using a stereopticon, an individual can view the resulting photos in 3D; but two people cannot view the same stereo photo card at the same time in 3D (unless there are multiple cards, that is).

I've seen a lot of the photos that are on this first volume of stereographs, but as 2D photos. The composition of most of them makes little sense as flat images. But to see them, now, as the original stereo photos they were meant to be shows that the composition was very deliberate on the part of the photographers, and works only if you have depth instead of mere breadth and height!

I don't know how successful the producer will be with his first disc. The production values are kind of Windows Movie Maker, but in 3D. There is a music track with many, many cuts. Occasional sound effects are added, and (scratches head) in a couple of the photos they add animated lightning flashes.

Anyway, overall the experience is interesting. I didn't expect a presentation of still images to be exactly cinematic, anyhow.

The best thing about Stereographs: 3D Portals To The Past Episode One: Photographs From The American Civil War Era Volume One In 3D is that more than one person can don their 3D glasses, and study the images simultaneously, which leads to discussion and contemplation of the pictures. And the producer has included complete Library of Congress reference material, so if you wanted to you could find the same images online, and print them out to view with your own personal stereopticon.

Of course, Glenn Bonat has already applied his Photoshop or GIMP skills to the original downloads and restored them to a better appearance where necessary and possible. Clearly a lot of research and work has gone into this attempt. I hope he is able to continue producing these so that I can buy Vol. 2 eventually.

This seems to be more an academic undertaking than something a person has done hoping to sell a million copies of it. It would be an excellent addition to the history department of a university or high school. The technology for viewing might be a little pricey.

There is a glitch with the main menu that allows you to select to play all or to select chapters. On my machine (the one of my two 3D Bluray players that I've tried it on, anyway) that menu plays for three seconds before reloading. It could be a write glitch from burning the BRD, I guess. I can work around it by being very quick of thumb.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:02 am

That's cool. Didn't know they released stuff like that.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 am
Profile YIM

I saw Spider-Man Homecoming in IMAX 3D and this is one of the the few times the 3D worked well. But not in your face type stuff. But in the way it made the characters 3D as it gave them depth. There was one scene where Spidey is laying on his back and when I took my glasses off he looked like 2D character or like a regular 2D film. But when I put them back on everything else was defined in 3D you can see his body was 3D and had depth.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:44 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
I saw Spider-Man Homecoming in IMAX 3D and this is one of the the few times the 3D worked well. But not in your face type stuff. But in the way it made the characters 3D as it gave them depth. There was one scene where Spidey is laying on his back and when I took my glasses off he looked like 2D character or like a regular 2D film. But when I put them back on everything else was defined in 3D you can see his body was 3D and had depth.

I saw the film in Real-D today. I enjoyed the dimensional effects in the film. My younger son is visiting, and he wanted to see it. Since I did, too, I went with him.

He believes it is the best Spidey film so far. I'd put it at least the equal of the Garfield ones. I liked it immensely, and have it on my wishlist for future Bluray 3D purchases. Tom Holland plays Spiderman in a way that is very similar to what I imagined when I first read Spiderman in the 1960s.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Also that moment at the end is what Spider-Man is all about.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:52 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next