It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 7060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142
 The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are. 
Post Re: The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are.

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Do I dare to hope for a million views?

Why not? You're over 3/4 the way there.

EDIT: Oh, thank God, the page changed. Now it's not stretched beyond the normal bounds of my browser window! :shifty:

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

So, I have to ask myself: "Why did you order It from Netflix?

I have seen only one movie based on a Stephen King story that I didn't ultimately hate. I still love Stand by Me. But all the others suck pondwater in my opinion.

Is it because that kid from Stranger Things is in it, and that means there'll be a familiar face? It's not likely to be either scary or impressive.

But maybe I ordered it because if I don't watch It I'll never know.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:20 am

Great Scptt, that was so much like Stranger Things!

Fortunately, it lacked the bizarre nonsensical twist that's supposed to thrill you, but only makes me laugh in every other SK film that I've ever seen (except the aforementioned Stand by Me).

It also lacked suspense and the only shocks were jump cuts and drum booms.

There were two shots that gave me slight goosebumps, though. A rarity for King's films.

I wonder if reading his stories is vastly different from seeing them on a screen.

Second best Stephen King adaptation of my entire career of watching movies.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Still need to see that. Probably watch it when the sequel comes later.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:29 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Still need to see that. Probably watch it when the sequel comes later.

Makes sense, since the next one is the continuation of the novel. A novel that I have never read, BTW.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:46 am

Gort wrote:
So, I have to ask myself: "Why did you order It from Netflix?

I have seen only one movie based on a Stephen King story that I didn't ultimately hate. I still love Stand by Me. But all the others suck pondwater in my opinion.
Aw, even Shawshank? C'mon Gort, there's gotta be at least one other King movie you liked besides that! Anyway...
Gort wrote:
Great Scptt, that was so much like Stranger Things!

Fortunately, it lacked the bizarre nonsensical twist that's supposed to thrill you, but only makes me laugh in every other SK film that I've ever seen (except the aforementioned Stand by Me).

It also lacked suspense and the only shocks were jump cuts and drum booms.

There were two shots that gave me slight goosebumps, though. A rarity for King's films.

I wonder if reading his stories is vastly different from seeing them on a screen.

Second best Stephen King adaptation of my entire career of watching movies.
...the reason why the 1st part of IT lacked the nonsensical twist of the book that
Pennywise isn't just an unexplaned, evil local clown-demon consigned to tormet Derry, but rather, a millenias-old Lovecraftian elder God or some such nonsense
is possibly because they're saving that for the next one, which I can only hope is one of the parts of the book they also cut out. Anyway, I'm glad that you at least didn't hate IT; personally, I thought that it would've been scarier if it actually hadn't tried so hard to be scary, like the moment where Georgiewise's face unnecessarily starts to decay in the basement, or in the scene with the giant Pennywise coming out of the screen (bigger doesn't automatically equal scary, movie), but still, on the whole, I still found it to be a fairly engaging adaptation, and much stronger as a coming-of-age film than it was a Horror movie, y'know?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Stu wrote:
Aw, even Shawshank? C'mon Gort, there's gotta be at least one other King movie you liked besides that!

Nope. Didn't hate Shawshank but never have been able to understand the love for it. Remember that I grew up when there were lots of prison break movies and TV shows. For the same reason that I'll never watch The Godfather, I didn't enjoy Shawshank:

I've already seen everything that could possibly be in The Godfather, perhaps in different attire, but still the same things in interminable 1950s-1960s TV shows and old noir movies shown in the afternoons on TV. When I watched Shawshank, expecting to see the greatest movie ever made (remember how long it was top-ranked at IMDb?) I was totally disappointed. First, there was nothing new. Same old prison movie stuff. And, the surprise twist ending was something I had already deduced before it goes to the final scene. It had nothing to offer me, you see?

Stu wrote:
...the reason why the 1st part of IT lacked the nonsensical twist of the book that
Pennywise isn't just an unexplaned, evil local clown-demon consigned to tormet Derry, but rather, a millenias-old Lovecraftian elder God or some such nonsense
is possibly because they're saving that for the next one, which I can only hope is one of the parts of the book they also cut out. Anyway, I'm glad that you at least didn't hate IT; personally, I thought that it would've been scarier if it actually hadn't tried so hard to be scary, like the moment where Georgiewise's face unnecessarily starts to decay in the basement, or in the scene with the giant Pennywise coming out of the screen (bigger doesn't automatically equal scary, movie), but still, on the whole, I still found it to be a fairly engaging adaptation, and much stronger as a coming-of-age film than it was a Horror movie, y'know?

Maybe I should just give Chapter Two a miss when it comes out!

The giant Pennywise projecting from the screen was a little goofy, but still also a little goosebumpy -- for less than a second. And, c'mon, ya gotta let the boys and girls making movies play with their CG toys nowadays.

Agreed on the coming-of-age observation, and this version of It shares that with Stand By Me, because of the way it was handled. Maybe that's why it wasn't a sucky experience for old Gort.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:20 pm

What about The Green Mile? I remember that one fondly.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
What about The Green Mile? I remember that one fondly.

I believe we've had this discussion before. I've written this information to someone here on the Corrie, I'm sure. I was okay with that movie until John Coffey began to
upchuck the CGI sickness that he had sucked out of Paul Edgecomb. At that point, the movie lost me. Kind of ironic what Gort wrote above about letting the boys and girls play with their CG toys nowadays, eh?

All it would have taken is for the writers (including King) to have simply had Coffey literally and normally vomit because of the sickness that he had taken away from Edgecomb, and I would have been completely okay with that. It was the floaty, CGI purple balloons effect that made me think the movie was overall pretty stupid. Just that one little thing.
And, as I probably also wrote before, I hadn't seen the opening credits so I recall thinking as I watched that bizarre moment unfold, "Geez, this is like Stephen King crapola!" and then read that it was from a Stephen King novel in the closing credits. :D

Images were blocked from hot-linking on 14 Feb 2018, forever.

The Future Unreels

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 am

Catching up on some movies that I hadn't seen but had planned to watch someday. You already know about IT.

Also watched The Last Jedi streaming on Netflix.
Watched Humanoids From the Deep streaming on Amazon.

Anyone have thoughts on those two? (Stu, I know you did a fine write-up about the Star Wars film.)

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 7060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142