It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

American Honey.

I haven't seen such an immersive film since Jia Zhangke's Still Life. It really feels like there's this world beyond the camera that we're afforded merely a glimpse of. You could say I was bored during a few brief stretches, but even that felt purposeful. And besides, I could always reliably count on some transcendent scene being just around the corner, so it was all worth it. And the characters all felt so lived-in. As if they'd had two or three seasons to adjust. Even the big movie star in the cast, the revitalized, arty version of Shia, who for the last few years has been going the James Franco route of perpetual performance art, minus the latter's penchant for reefer comedies and arch-ironic appearances in soap operas.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:39 am

Beau wrote:
I haven't seen such an immersive film since Jia Zhangke's Still Life. It really feels like there's this world beyond the camera that we're afforded merely a glimpse of. You could say I was bored during a few brief stretches, but even that felt purposeful. And besides, I could always reliably count on some transcendent scene being just around the corner, so it was all worth it.
I know, right?! The cast, professional and not, are just right. And transcendent is a great word for some really unforgettable moments in this.

I updated that post, by the way, adding Chevalier and The Edge of Seventeen. In case anyone's keeping track...

Wonder Woman ▪ The Running Man ▪ Mohabbatein ▪ Veer-Zaara ▪ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ▪ Pierrot le fou ▪ Highway ▪ Leningrad Cowboys Go America ▪ Band Baaja Baaraat ▪ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ▪ Jab We Met

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:46 am

Toni Erdmann was my all. I haven't been so transfixed by a movie in some time. Reportedly, it's two hours and a half, but it felt like 90 minutes. The camerawork seems pedestrian at first glance, but along with the sound design it does wonders to build a space around the characters, which is important because the whole movie's about how the characters relate that (social) space around them. Special stuff. There's a scene of transcendent (there's that word again) comedy of awkwardness near the end (you can imagine which) that had me doing cartwheels on my sofa, as I was both unable to look and even more incapable of looking away.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 pm

I'll watch that one again soon. It's the kind of movie (the squirmy, awkward kind that Ade is soooo good at) that I have trouble with the first time. And, yeah, I think I know the scene you're talking about. It made me giddy. :)

Wonder Woman ▪ The Running Man ▪ Mohabbatein ▪ Veer-Zaara ▪ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ▪ Pierrot le fou ▪ Highway ▪ Leningrad Cowboys Go America ▪ Band Baaja Baaraat ▪ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ▪ Jab We Met

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:08 am

Another update to my 2016 post, now that I've seen Queen of Katwe and The Love Witch.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Beau wrote:
Toni Erdmann was my all. I haven't been so transfixed by a movie in some time. Reportedly, it's two hours and a half, but it felt like 90 minutes. The camerawork seems pedestrian at first glance, but along with the sound design it does wonders to build a space around the characters, which is important because the whole movie's about how the characters relate that (social) space around them. Special stuff. There's a scene of transcendent (there's that word again) comedy of awkwardness near the end (you can imagine which) that had me doing cartwheels on my sofa, as I was both unable to look and even more incapable of looking away.

:fresh:

I saw it with a cast Q&A after. Wonderfully awkward.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

I should see American Honey.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:11 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, you should! You'll love it, guaranteed!

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:59 am

I've added three more to my Women of 2016 post, bringing the total to...yes, sixteen! It really has been a good year, I think. And this was a fun project, but I wish now I hadn't put all the films in one post. :-/

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 am

Ya, American Honey is good.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Of course it is.

Too bad I can't recommend it to many local cinephiles, many of whom are affiliated with the Anti-Pretension Brigade.

Still, some good things come from reading their preferences. Yesterday I watched Amityville 2: The Possession, a film I'd have never seen if it hadn't been for a certain Facebook thread, and it was indescribably awesome. There's some really cool camera work and atmosphere. Also, besides the paranormal stuff, there's some mundane everyday horror, like domestic violence, that gives the script interesting depth and layering. Still pretty campy in spots, but in a good way. Also, incest.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 am

Eminence Grise wrote:
Ya, American Honey is good.
Isn't it? :heart:

Beau wrote:
Too bad I can't recommend it to many local cinephiles, many of whom are affiliated with the Anti-Pretension Brigade.
Is it pretentious? It's practically reality TV! I guess I can't tell anymore.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:32 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Isn't it? :heart:

Is it pretentious? It's practically reality TV! I guess I can't tell anymore.

It's long and meandering and has interminable takes of people just existing in front of depressing backdrops.

So, yeah. It's no Amityville 2: The Possession.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 am

This thread is only about 15000 page views shy of half-a-million!

It should be. It's a good thread.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 am

Aw, thanks. But, you're one to talk! You and charulata have all the lurker fans. :)

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: Women of 2016

So, I'm reorganizing my 2016 female director list. I've recently seen a few more, and this is the plan: I'll put the top sixteen in the original post, and this post will contain the overflow. Hope this doesn't completely wreck the conversational flow! (If you're looking for Cameraperson, it's now in the original post.)

Image Image

Karyn Kusama: The Invitation is a strange little film. I almost couldn't sit through the beginning, as the characters (supposedly old friends) stare awkwardly at each other. Are they first-time actors? No. Maybe it's improv with no character prep? Or, mumblecore with people who aren't just acting stupid? But, as the plot gradually gels, Kusama manages to pull me in with small, ominous touches and some really great, atmospheric flashbacks and music and unbalanced emotion. It's a very slow burn, but with a truly gut-wrenching payoff.

Kelly Fremon Craig: A promising first feature, The Edge of Seventeen updates the teen drama with cell phones, cynicism, and clever casting. Craig's female protagonist is given plenty of room to be absolutely insufferable, yet somehow remains just sympathetic enough. Besides the extra darkness, there are some surprising turns, but the ending is pure John Hughes (which isn't a bad thing, I suppose).

Laurie Anderson: Heart of a Dog is as gently thoughtful and entertaining as you'd expect from Laurie Anderson. Her scrapbook-style layers of photos and sound reminded me of Guy Maddin at times.

Ava DuVernay: 13th—DuVernay’s info-packed documentary about America’s sorry racial history—tears along at an entertaining, even overwhelming pace. It’s stylish and timely, no doubt; I just wish it had been a bit more scrupulous, less willing to risk false impressions to make emotional points. As this year’s other big race documentary* showed, the facts are plenty powerful enough on their own.

*Peck’s I Am Not Your Negro

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:53 am
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: Women of 2016

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Initially, I had a little trouble with Johnson's Cameraperson [pictured above]. She's using footage she shot for other people's movies, which makes it theirs, right? Or, at the least, not fully hers. And, I'm not even talking about copyright, but just in the sense of creation, of (art)work

Does it make it theirs? Who's doing the creating? And doesn't that vary per film? Like, if a director is very hands on and/or has storyboarded everything to a t, sure, but some directors have hardly any visual sense and just give their dp's all the freedom in the world.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Does it make it theirs? Who's doing the creating? And doesn't that vary per film? Like, if a director is very hands on and/or has storyboarded everything to a t, sure, but some directors have hardly any visual sense and just give their dp's all the freedom in the world.
Ah, yes, I can see that. But, what about the ideas that brought them to the location in the first place, the legwork that got them the interviews?

Mostly these are questions I had going in, though, and then the film itself answered them. (It's full of moments where she interacts, or otherwise makes her presence felt.) Have you seen it?

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:14 pm

I haven't seen Cameraperson, but it sounds like a found footage film with a twist, that is, the found footage this time was filmed by the director. Still, the point of found footage is that while, yes, you didn't produce those images, or in this case, didn't direct them or do the legwork to make them possible, by recontextualizing them you're remaking them, in a sense. At least, that's one point of found footage. I'm sure there are others.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:21 am

Beau wrote:
I haven't seen Cameraperson, but it sounds like a found footage film with a twist, that is, the found footage this time was filmed by the director.
Oh, yeah, that makes sense! And in this case it's already quite personal to her. Thanks, guys!

I have one more movie to watch for this topic, and then I'll move on. I don't want to be stuck in 2016 forever!

Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:54 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Initially, I had a little trouble with Johnson's Cameraperson [pictured above]. She's using footage she shot for other people's movies, which makes it theirs, right? Or, at the least, not fully hers. And, I'm not even talking about copyright, but just in the sense of creation, of (art)work. Still, it's her experiences, undoubtedly; her eyes we're seeing through; and (almost always?) her voice interacting with the people she's filming. She films horrors and hope, fear and joy, all with a sort of naive aptitude for color and human connection. I enjoyed her trip around the world and, even more, her coming home again.

Found footage. Wouldn't that be footage that was shot by someone else?
Thus, the director wouldn't own the footage in that case, either.
But found footage shot by the person making the film isn't...found...is it? That would
be my conceptual qualm with this film as a found footage work (which I have not seen).
If I am correct that's your major problem with it too. But I cannot quite parse the bolded
sentences above. So I might be misinterpreting your words in some way.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:54 am

I haven't seen the film yet (though I'm very much interested), but based on what I've heard about it, I'd call it repurposed footage, not found footage. For me, "found footage" evokes something salvaged, usually for collage films (like Bruce Conner's), whereas "repurposed footage" is more like what Orson Welles did in F for Fake with the footage François Reichenbach shot for an unfinished Elmyr de Hory documentary.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:22 pm

My point is that if we accept traditional found footage film as valid - that is, the appropriation and remixing of footage the director had no hand in - then we can certainly accept a cinematographer using footage she filmed for other directors, which might not be entirely hers, legally or artistically or whatever, but which she was certainly involved in.

That said, I'm unsure about the distinction between found and repurposed footage. It's entirely common to talk of F for Fake in terms of found footage. Even the Wikipedia page for found footage includes F for Fake as a reference. Every found footage movie is repurposing that footage, as well as salvaging it. That's the whole idea.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:34 am

And then we can't overlook the confusion of terms that arises because of the fiction genre that calls itself "found footage" although the footage is neither found, nor, in most cases, re-purposed! ;)

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 am

Gort wrote:
And then we can't overlook the confusion of terms that arises because of the fiction genre that calls itself "found footage" although the footage is neither found, nor, in most cases, re-purposed! ;)

In fiction it works pretty similarly, except the footage-finding and re-purposing is contained inside the fiction. In Cloverfield, for example, the video that makes up the movie is certainly "found" and re-purposed as government evidence, but all in the context of the narrative. Something similar happens in The Blair Witch Project.

Still, it's true that the "found footage" in these cases is hardly intervened or played around with (again, within the fiction). It's usually presented as is. They're not picked up and reconfigured by the fictional equivalent of a Peter Tscherkassky.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks for the discussion, everyone. You've convinced me there are plenty of examples of footage being used/re-used with artistic integrity. Hope you all see the film eventually, so my comments will make sense. :P

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:23 am

One more female director from last year...

I really enjoyed Dear Zindagi. SRK makes an adorable eccentric psychologist, and Alia Bhatt is ridiculously watchable, whether she's throwing a tantrum or falling asleep! Being extremely beautiful helps, of course, haha. The psychology may be a bit movie-simple, but it felt real to me. The process was right. Thought it was fun the way Shinde pays tribute to the musical with story elements (filming a video, boyfriend who's a musician) while sticking to a more indie style. Maybe that's typical? Anyway, I guess I should see English Vinglish now.

Image Image
Image Image

So, I edited the original Women of 2016 post to show my favorite 16 and link to the rest. The project is really done now, I think! (I know. I said that before.) But, as always, if you find something good I missed, I’ll do my best to see it.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:24 am

Gort wrote:
half-a-million
Hey, I made it!

Now I can die happy, I guess. :P

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:19 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: I Am Not Your Negro

In and around my attempts to see everything by women from last year, I've seen a lot of other good stuff, too. I was really impressed with Silence, for example, but it will take a rewatch (or, possibly a novel-reading) to have anything to sensible to say about that one. But, before it's too late, I need to get something down about I Am Not Your Negro. I've talked about James Baldwin in the literature thread; he's one of my favorite people ever. So, it's high praise when I say I sense the same kind of student-fan in Raoul Peck. He's made a (not surprisingly) timely documentary, exposing an unfinished work of Baldwin's to a broader audience, many of whom were probably unaware of his importance. And it's effective! A big part of this is just knowing when to get out of the way. If you have Baldwin's words, you're already ahead. But Peck doesn't stop there, he adds context with some terrific interview footage. Samuel Jackson deserves credit, too; there's no dissonance as we jump between Baldwin's actual voice and the Jackson narration. It's all very well put-together, and I admire Peck's restraint at times when others would be tempted to aim for the rafters. There's no need here. Baldwin is the the most persuasive of persuaders, and the more who hear (and read) him, the better!

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:22 pm
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: I Am Not Your Negro

Spengo actually posted a link to an interview he conducted with Peck recently about that, if you're interested.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:28 am

I'll finally be seeing that at BAFICI this year. So excited. Love Baldwin.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:36 am

Gort wrote:
half-a-million
Shieldmaiden wrote:
Hey, I made it!

Now I can die happy, I guess. :P

Hooray!

The happy part, not the dying part. Please don't do that yet. ;)

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Haha, never. Too many movies to see!

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:27 am

Beau wrote:
I'll finally be seeing that at BAFICI this year. So excited. Love Baldwin.
Ooh, that's this week! What are you most excited for?

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:27 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Ooh, that's this week! What are you most excited for?

The Baldwin doc for sure. Restored classics like The Cremator and The Son's Room. 2016 movies like The Ornithologist and Certain Women, which never came out here. A Canadian movie with a really long name and an equally long running time that's been making the festival rounds to much acclaim. There are also scores of movies in the International Competition, which I'll be covering, but about which I know little about. We'll see what happens.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 am

Beau wrote:
A Canadian movie with a really long name and an equally long running time that's been making the festival rounds to much acclaim.
I'd never heard of this, but it looks intriguing. Love this poster.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
One more female director from last year...

I really enjoyed Dear Zindagi. SRK makes an adorable eccentric psychologist, and Alia Bhatt is ridiculously watchable, whether she's throwing a tantrum or falling asleep! Being extremely beautiful helps, of course, haha. The psychology may be a bit movie-simple, but it felt real to me. The process was right. Thought it was fun the way Shinde pays tribute to the musical with story elements (filming a video, boyfriend who's a musician) while sticking to a more indie style. Maybe that's typical? Anyway, I guess I should see English Vinglish now.

i've been afraid to see this one coz alia really has never worked for me on screen outside of Highway. She's pretty great in Udta Punjab but then i see kareena and diljit as the real heart of that film but maybe it's just because i'm old :oops: .. but definitely into anything shinde is doing and i should just watch this given your reaction to it. i kinda love this phase of srk's career too ..

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:51 am

charulata wrote:
i've been afraid to see this one coz alia really has never worked for me on screen outside of Highway.
Yeah, I think you should give it a try. Her character is a little obnoxious, but that's the point. By the end I liked her! Oh, and I have Highway here to watch. :D

P.S. Post more, please?

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:57 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: Pierrot le fou

Image Image

So, I finally watched Pierrot le fou. I have to say it's a perfect example of its genre, the manic-pixie metafiction-slapstick romance-caper (haha). And, at first I was entranced by its energy and color and music. I saw echoes (reverse echoes?) of Fassbinder, and felt like I'd discovered the long lost first-half of My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days. But, while it’s fun to see a film which has so directly influenced my favorites (and Pierrot is highly entertaining aside from that), my initial enthusiasm waned. The craziness began to seem forced, the love fake. Of course, it’s supposed to. Underneath the romantic music and sunshine, Godard's characters are delusional and treacherous; his interest appears to be anarchy, not love. So, it became clear as I watched that My Nights is no continuation or sequel, but a complete re-write – with enthusiasm instead of apathy, anger instead of anarchy, and, despite the ending, love instead of death. Everything in Zulawski's film, no matter how distancing on the surface, serves the doomed romance. Godard, on the other hand, aligns all the postmodern tricks in opposition to characterization and (pfft!) emotional weight. If My Nights is Angry Optimism, Pierrot is Whimsical Despair.

Image Image

Mon May 08, 2017 2:06 pm
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: Pierrot le fou

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Pierrot le fou. My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days.

Hmmm. Would seemingly make a decent private NQRR comparison. There will likely never be a Round Five of the Rematches. But I find these things all the time. Especially the not-quite-a-remake types. If I could think of a way to monetize it, I could make a living with Remake Rematches. :D

Thu May 11, 2017 9:56 am
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: Pierrot le fou

Gort wrote:
I could make a living with Remake Rematches.

Such hubris. Dude, you're the only one who thinks you could do that. And, in case you forgot, it's my thread.

The Future Unreels

Thu May 11, 2017 9:59 am

I watched American Honey based on your enthusiasm for it.

I liked it immensely: the adoration of detail, the mag crew ensemble (whose rituals make them into a kind of tribe), the delicate balancing act of tone and expectation, the meandering immediacy of it all. Arnold has a knack for giving scenes a veneer of mystery, an almost mystical quality, without them ever feeling unrealistic. It trails off vaguely near the end, and the occasional concession it makes to plot or sensationalism didn't sit well with me, but those complaints pale under the pulsing, rhythmic beauty of the film.

Mon May 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Macrology wrote:
Arnold has a knack for giving scenes a veneer of mystery, an almost mystical quality, without them ever feeling unrealistic.
Yes! I'm so glad you liked it! And, yeah, the rhythm is so much of what I love in this.

By plot and sensationalism do you mean
the guy in the pick-up? the kids with the drug-addled mother?
I guess I thought there was so much danger hanging over them the whole time, that these things almost had to make an appearance. A Chekhov's gun thing, sort of. But, not too much. Too much I couldn't take. :(

Tue May 16, 2017 4:13 pm

No, those didn't bother me; I thought they were handled well. I meant

Shia coming in with his gun and trainwrecking the genuinely compelling mezcal scene because Arnold presumably couldn't write her way out of it. That was the worst offender, but there was smaller stuff throughout, like the drama of the love triangle. I wasn't a huge fan of the "Harmony Korine Brand Poverty" rip-off that opens the film, either, but I didn't mind that as much because it almost feels like she sets that up to deliberately undermine it with what follows.

The drama in the film sometimes slipped into histrionics, especially between the two leads. Arnold handles dramatic moments really deftly elsewhere, like the guy in the pickup truck. In spite of strong performances from Sasha Lane and Shia LaBeouf, I was more interested in the ensemble, which Arnold observes with more restraint and care.

Tue May 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Macrology wrote:
No, those didn't bother me; I thought they were handled well. I meant

Shia coming in with his gun and trainwrecking the genuinely compelling mezcal scene because Arnold presumably couldn't write her way out of it. That was the worst offender, but there was smaller stuff throughout, like the drama of the love triangle. I wasn't a huge fan of the "Harmony Korine Brand Poverty" rip-off that opens the film, either, but I didn't mind that as much because it almost feels like she sets that up to deliberately undermine it with what follows.

The drama in the film sometimes slipped into histrionics, especially between the two leads. Arnold handles dramatic moments really deftly elsewhere, like the guy in the pickup truck. In spite of strong performances from Sasha Lane and Shia LaBeouf, I was more interested in the ensemble, which Arnold observes with more restraint and care.

I agree with the critiques; however, I think the love triangle helps to illustrate her naiveté and ultimately, helps her grow and pushes us more and more to accept the final scene in the film as legitimate and empowering.
However, as you said, the scenes were bombastic and at times overblown, but I think it's warranted given the context of the film which remains contextually extreme throughout.

Wed May 17, 2017 12:05 am

I didn't really have a problem with any of those things. They didn't even occur to me as potential problems.

Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 am

I can't say I wanted even more ensemble action from American Honey. There's more than enough of that, frankly. Minutes upon minutes of the camera wandering inside various cars while we listen to random chitchat. I didn't mind breaking that up with more focused verbal volleys between the leads. Also, the abrupt end to the mezcal scene played out fine to me. It underscores his possessiveness and how difficult she finds it to escape the closed circle of her newfound friends. I didn't really miss those cowboys once they fulfilled their ancillary purpose. As for the histrionics, well, I mean, the whole film is filtered through the same heightened lens. That pickup truck scene is unusually quiet. Most of the other interactions lean towards loud, brash, lewd, and aggressive.

Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44