It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

Sorry it took me so long, EG! I've had a lot going on lately, for some reason.

Eminence Grise wrote:
Yes, the glass, of course, cannot be logically explained, which I love. It reminded me so much of the beautiful shimmering light in Veronique.
You've really got me itching to rewatch that one!

Quote:
What do you mean they are "true"? Can you expand on that?
I just meant she's not delusional, and ghosts are "real" in the film. (So, yeah, to your next question, I guess I'm rejecting Assayas's interpretation.)

Quote:
She does clearly have this knowledge, but to me it doesn't come off as if she would. I mean, I wouldn't expect it. And, to me, it's not clear that she's either rejecting it, or repressing it. Desires are often repressed and she clearly has these forbidden desires that are trying to come to the fore. They do come to the fore throughout the film. Or, perhaps her desire is just to break the rules?
Yeah, the latter is what I thought. The need to break the rules also explains her insane agreement to do what he tells her. I doubt she's always wanted to jump into a car with a stranger (so to speak). But, who knows? I'm probably projecting pretty hard, here. :)

Isle of Dogs ▪ Eika Katappa ▪ Johnny Guitar ▪ The Devils ▪ Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told ▪ Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness ▪ The Thing ▪ Madame X: An Absolute Ruler ▪ American Ultra

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am

Quote:
You've really got me itching to rewatch that one!

Do it! For me, it's always due for a rewatch :D

Quote:
I just meant she's not delusional, and ghosts are "real" in the film. (So, yeah, to your next question, I guess I'm rejecting Assayas's interpretation.)

I love that you're rejecting his interpretation. I'm a big fan of the intentional fallacy :up: :D

Quote:
Yeah, I the latter is what I thought. The need to break the rules also explains her insane agreement to do what he tells her. I doubt she's always wanted to jump into a car with a stranger (so to speak). But, who knows? I'm probably projecting pretty hard, here. :)

Project away! I think it's pretty open to discussion.

Tue May 22, 2018 9:42 am

Rock wrote:
I want to rewatch the movie to see if Assayas does anything in particular visually, but the key thing for me was how he channeled us through her perspective and emotions in presenting the videos and especially the texts.
Yeah, and I think Stewart should get credit, too. I remember when she's watching a video on her phone and something interrupts, her moment of reorientation as she looks around was perfect. Such a familiar feeling!

Quote:
To go on a tangent, my viewings of Blackhat, Snowden and The Card Player over the last few months lead me to believe that modern technology can be hard to present engagingly, but the tools to do so are fairly simple. Blackhat I think does it particularly effectively just using some well selected closeups so we can process the information in a way that mimics the knowledge of the characters, while the other films lean heavily on reaction shots but don't know how to stress the information actually on screen. I'd need to see Personal Shopper again to get into specifics, but while I remember the direction not being as obvious as Mann's in this respect, I think it adheres to the same principles.
Of those, I've only seen Blackhat, but I agree it did it well, though not as subtly as Personal Shopper does.

crumbsroom wrote:
Another movie that needs more love.
It really does! Fassbinder is soooo good. :heart:

Isle of Dogs ▪ Eika Katappa ▪ Johnny Guitar ▪ The Devils ▪ Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told ▪ Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness ▪ The Thing ▪ Madame X: An Absolute Ruler ▪ American Ultra

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Tue May 22, 2018 9:50 am

Eminence Grise wrote:
Do it! For me, it's always due for a rewatch :D
Soon.

Tue May 22, 2018 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 2254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46