It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 2456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

Macrology wrote:
The Overcoat, to the best of my knowledge, is still in production. It's actually the longest running production in cinema history at this point. God willing, he'll finish it before he dies.
So weird! Nineteen people on IMDb claim to have seen it, haha.

When this documentary comes out, maybe we'll find out what's going on.

I Am Not a Witch ▪ You Were Never Really Here ▪ BlacKkKlansman ▪ Green Book ▪ Young Mr. Lincoln ▪ They Shall Not Grow Old ▪ Burning ▪ Magicians ▪ The King and the Clown ▪ Hale County This Morning, This Evening

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:47 pm

I think he has screened what he has completed of the film at different junctures in time, so they may be referring to that. Or, while it's almost inconceivable, someone on the internet may have lied about something.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Macrology wrote:
Or, while it's almost inconceivable, someone on the internet may have lied about something.

Haha!

:)

I Am Not a Witch ▪ You Were Never Really Here ▪ BlacKkKlansman ▪ Green Book ▪ Young Mr. Lincoln ▪ They Shall Not Grow Old ▪ Burning ▪ Magicians ▪ The King and the Clown ▪ Hale County This Morning, This Evening

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:58 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: Burning

Image Image

Just got done watching Chang-dong Lee's Burning! Something tells me this may be the kind of movie I need to mull over before writing about it, but I'm going to give it a try, anyway, while I'm filled with enthusiasm. This may be my favorite Lee (over Secret Sunshine). It certainly belongs on my Korean favorites list, along with The Handmaiden and others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

From my small sample (of five) films from Lee, I'd say I prefer his adapted screenplays. They're less schematic, more messy/complex. And here he's adapted a story by a master and one of my favorite authors, Haruki Murakami. The short story (which is terrific, by the way) is more ambiguous; Lee spells things out with the kitchen conversation about metaphor. But it's the rest of what he adds that makes this so great. He introduces pathos with a second critical metaphor by Hae-mi, who comes into sharp focus here despite the main character's almost willful blindness (both here and in the book). And he cranks up the suspense (nonexistent in the story) to an unbearably mournful, even hopeless pitch. The social critique reminds me of Sono's Guilty of Romance. Of course, Sono's warnings are to do with sex and Lee's with debt, but both warn of the dangers facing young women who are viewed as expendable. Still, this one offers a small gesture of hope, a catharsis of awakening, that Sono's film never had. So I'm going to add it to my angry optimism list as well.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:13 am

Loved Burning. I thought Lee captured the melancholy and alienation of Murakami's characters perfectly (I had also caught some motifs from The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as well, such as enigmatic cats and wells), and the suffocating atmosphere certainly emulated some of the writer's best work. Lee's choices in the third act - which go thematically and psychologically way beyond what was only hinted at in the short story - release the pressure that was relentlessly building for the first two hours. And how about that use of Miles Davis.

It's also important to note that the father subplot is heavily inspired by Faulkner's Barn Burning. The way Lee combines the themes of the two stories seems effortless in its execution.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:37 pm

I noticed the well and the cat and Miles Davis. Did you notice the brief mention of pasta?

But, great catch on the Faulkner story! It really does elegantly blend the two stories—wow!! I called this movie literary based on the metaphor motif, but it’s quite a bit more than that. Forget my blather about adaptations above, I’m guessing his co-writer has a lot to do with the particularly bookish (and I mean that in the best way) nature of this one:

https://www.asiapacificscreenawards.com/apsa-academy-members/oh-jung-mi

I can’t wait to see their future collaborations!

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 2456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50