It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

wigwam wrote:
Claire's Camera somewhat minimizes the sadsack guy and has a great Isabelle Huppert performance and then On the Beach at Night Alone focuses on the sadsack mistress of the (mostly offscreen) sadsack director character
Thanks! I'll bump those two up, then. I definitely don't want to give up on him!

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:30 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: Ken Russell

Image Image
Image Image

Thanks to a push from crumbsroom, I'm officially a Ken Russell fan. First, I watched The Devils, which left me astonished and speechless and hungry for more; then, The Lair of the White Worm, a cheesy mashup of cozy whodunnit and monster horror. And, now, Altered States, which is fun and smart, with a lot more religious iconography than the synopsis would lead you to expect. (I think I might be detecting a pattern, haha.) William Hurt is excellent as a tortured genius willing to sacrifice (almost) everything for science, and the visual depiction of his "trips" is out of this world! But I think what most impressed me is that, despite its preposterous sci-fi plot, there's solid, real life (friendship, love) at its core. So, I've learned that, despite the flashy surfaces, Russell is more than meets the eye. Under the the strobing crucifixes and bloody fangs, there's plenty of intelligence and depth.

Next up, Crimes of Passion. (ETA: Jump right to the post.)

scroll for more pictures

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:33 am
Post Maiden's Voyage: Ken Russell

And though I didn't write about them, the other two really deserve screencaps, too:

Image Image
Image Image

Image Image
Image Image

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 am

oh man Lair of the White Worm is so fun and batshit and Ken Russell really in his element

I need to see Crime of Passion myself

Seems like you've started off with a great span of top tier works of his! I can't wait to see what you think of Mahler, The Boyfriend, and Salome's Last Dance

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:50 pm

wigwam wrote:
oh man Lair of the White Worm is so fun and batshit and Ken Russell really in his element
It is! And that ending. :D

Quote:
Seems like you've started off with a great span of top tier works of his! I can't wait to see what you think of Mahler, The Boyfriend, and Salome's Last Dance
Haha, I know! At this point, I don't feel the need to be completist with him, so I'm going by recommendations. Although I think I will check out The Boyfriend, just for fun. :)

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 am

Women in Love is terrific, and don't let its lack of hallucinatory splendor fool you.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:27 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Women in Love is terrific, and don't let its lack of hallucinatory splendor fool you.
Haha. I do love hallucinatory splendor! But, noted.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:47 am

I need to see more Russell.

Maiden, have you seen All My Good Countrymen? Czech film from '68. It's very good, and very, very Czech.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 am

Macrology wrote:
Maiden, have you seen All My Good Countrymen? Czech film from '68. It's very good, and very, very Czech.
I haven't. But I'd already bookmarked it from your comment in the other thread. :)

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:04 pm

wigwam wrote:
I need to see Crime of Passion myself
You really do! It's so much fun!!

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
You really do! It's so much fun!!

yay! post abt it...

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:34 am
Post Maiden's Voyage: Crimes of Passion

So, Crimes of Passion.

Imagine a Jeanne Dielman/Dressed to Kill mashup directed by Fassbinder, and you might have some idea what I just saw! Kathleen Turner is phenomenal, the sets are hyper-stylized, the soundtrack turns Dvořák into B-horror dissonance, and Anthony Perkins almost makes you forget that other tormented, cross-dressing character he played. Oh yeah, and it's overstuffed with snappy dialogue about how we all have sexual hangups and the trick is to find someone whose issues don't conflict with your own. It seems I'm only writing about the surreal underworld elements (and it's true all my screenshots are from that part); but the colorless "real world" is well written, too, and important thematically. There’re a lot of ways this movie could have gone wrong, and I guess critics thought it did. But, for me, it all works. It's smart, darkly comic, sexy, ridiculous—and I love it!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:45 pm

hi please dont transcribe my dream journals and post them as your viewing log, k thnx

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 am

Haha! Ken Russell is the dream-channeler here. I believe it's called "hallucinatory splendor."

Did you watch it?

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:27 am

queuing it up tonight after that review!!

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:36 am

:)

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 am

I'm a Russell n00b but I think Gothic is worth a gander if your trigger finger is itchy for more screencaps.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:25 am

I watched that one a while back and didn't get much out of it. Too bad, 'cause it kept me from watching more of his stuff. It was pretty, though. :)

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

Crimes of Passion

Insane movie. The main dude is a dud and his parts with Annie Potts try to suck the life out of it, which is thematic as far as fantasy versus everyday drudgery go and that's depicted well (it helps I was their kids' age at the time so atmospherically it all rings completely true of sexless suburbia), but WOW the stuff with Kathleen Turner and Anthony Perkins (who admirably does a Psycho-y peephole persona scene, lesser icons would have bristled!) is so dank and lurid and lovely and I felt hope for humanity growing beyond shame and procreative-sex imperatives and all the good things we have ahead of us! Oh the Wakeman score was whatever, Patrick Moraz woulda killed this shit...

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:56 am

wigwam wrote:
his parts with Annie Potts try to suck the life out of it, which is thematic as far as fantasy versus everyday drudgery go and that's depicted well
Actually, Kathleen Turner was sucking up all the life and color in that half to burn as energy in the other. Plus, a boring background makes the important stuff stand out better.

Quote:
Wakeman score was whatever, Patrick Moraz woulda killed this shit
The wrong Yes-man, haha. It reminded me of the weirdness of the score for My Nights Are More Beautiful. It’s obviously tongue-in-cheek, but ends up working (for me) on a traditional level, too.

Quote:
so dank and lurid and lovely and I felt hope for humanity growing beyond shame and procreative-sex imperatives an all the good things we have ahead of us!
Ha! I'm glad you liked it! :)

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:35 am

ooooh is the score to My Nights my problem with that one???

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:54 am

I wonder! Have you watched it more than once? Because all my problems with the score dissolved on a second watch. It was still kind of overdone, but it fit.

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:19 pm

no that was the only time, I like some Wakeman and I like some illfitting scores (Light Sleeper's terrible music has become one of my favorite things about it)

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:59 am

I was talking about My Nights there (in case that wasn't clear).

Wig, we should watch something for your New German Cinema thread! Is there anything on your list you haven't watched yet?

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:18 am

oh duh, I can't read :shifty:

yes! let's!

most of my list is still to be seen:
wigwam wrote:
Der Bomberpilot | Werner Schroeter | 1970
I Love You I Kill You | Uwe Brandner | 1971
The Big Mess | Alexander Kluge | 1971
Der plötzliche Reichtum der armen Leute von Kombach | Volker Schlondorff | 1971
Dumpster Kid | Edgar Reitz | 1971
Morals of Ruth Halbfass | Volker Schlondorff | 1972
A Free Woman | Volker Schlondorff | 1972
History Lessons | Daniele Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub | 1972
The Death of Maria Malibran | Werner Schroeter | 1972
The Wollands | Marianne Lüdcke | 1972
Dear Mother I'm Fine | Christian Ziewer | 1972
Part-Time Work of a Female Slave | Alexander Kluge | 1973
Willow Springs | Werner Schroeter | 1973
Wages and Love | Marianne Lüdcke | 1973
The Long Misery | Max Willutski | 1973
In Danger | Alexander Kluge | 1974
Das Andechser Gefühl | Herbert Achternbusch | 1974
Brutalization of Franz Blum | Reinhard Hauff | 1974
Moses und Aron | Daniele Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub | 1975
Earthquake in Chile | Helma Sanders-Brahms | 1975
Under the Pavement Lies the Strand | Helma Sanders-Brahms | 1975
Lina Braake | Bernhard Sinkel | 1975
Strong Man Ferdinand | Alexander Kluge | 1976
Shirins Wedding | Helma Sanders-Brahms | 1976
Grete Minde | Heidi Genee | 1976
Die Atlantikschwimmer | Herbert Achternbusch | 1976
A Totally Neglected Girl | Jutta Bruckner | 1976
Hitler: A Film from Germany | Hans-Jürgen Syberberg | 1977
Every Revolution Is a Throw of the Dice | Daniele Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub | 1977
Fortini/Cani | Daniele Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub | 1977
Heinrich | Helma Sanders-Brahms | 1977
Zero Hour | Edgar Reitz | 1977
Beer Chase | Herbert Achternbusch | 1977
Regno di Napoli | Werner Schroeter | 1978
The All-Round Reduced Personality | Helke Sander | 1978
On the Move | Adolf Winkelmann | 1978
Bye Bye Bavaria | Herbert Achternbusch | 1978
Knife in the Head | Reinhard Hauff | 1978
Schluchtenflitzen | Rudiger Nuchtern | 1978
Sisters | Margarethe von Trotta | 1979
From the Cloud to the Resistance | Daniele Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub | 1979
Tailor from Ulm | Edgar Reitz | 1979
Leba Rais | Christian Rischert | 1979
David | Erika Runge | 1979
1+1=3 | Heidi Genee | 1979
The Comanche | Herbert Achternbusch | 1979
Ticket of No Return | Ulrike Ottinger | 1979
Germany Pale Mother | Helma Sanders-Brahms | 1980
Gibbi West Germany | Christel Buschmann | 1980
Marianne & Juliane | Margarethe von Trotta | 1981
Circle of Deceit | Volker Schlondorff | 1981
Day of the Idiots | Werner Schroeter | 1981
Der subjektive Faktor | Helke Sander | 1981
No Mercy No Future | Helma Sanders-Brahms | 1981
Taxi Zum Klo | Frank Ripploh | 1981
Freak Orlando | Ulrike Ottinger | 1981
En rachâchant | Daniele Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub | 1982
Too Early / Too Late | Daniele Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub | 1982
Liebeskonzil | Werner Schroeter | 1982
Das Gespenst | Herbert Achternbusch | 1982
Der Mann auf der Mauer | Reinhard Hauff | 1982
Power of Emotion | Alexander Kluge | 1983
Sheer Madness | Margarethe von Trotta | 1983
The Laughing Star | Werner Schroeter | 1983
Die Olympiasiegerin | Herbert Achternbusch | 1983
Love Is the Beginning of All Terror | Helke Sander | 1984
Future of Emily | Helma Sanders-Brahms | 1984
Dorian Gray im Spiegel der Boulevardpresse | Ulrike Ottinger | 1984
Death of a Salesman | Volker Schlondorff | 1985
The Rose King | Werner Schroeter | 1986
Heal Hitler! | Herbert Achternbusch | 1986
Stammheim | Reinhard Hauff | 1986
Miscellaneous News | Alexander Kluge | 1986
Rosa Luxemburg | Margarethe von Trotta | 1986

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:16 am

wigwam wrote:
most of my list is still to be seen
Oh! I thought you'd been been watching them, just not writing about them.

I really want to watch Sheer Madness, but I won't have a chance till Sunday. Does that work for you?

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:53 am

perfect!

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:40 pm

Cool. It's a date!

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 2328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47