It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE! 
 LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE!

If our experiences are typical then it would seem that one of the most basic, intrinsic truths about filmmaking is that at some point one hates everything about the process. Every. Fucking. Thing. The beginning is so full of hope and optimism - the sky is the limit! But midway through production it's not uncommon to be plunged into the deepest depths of despair for any number of reasons. For myself, it's often a constant string of failed shoots that has me screaming heavenward.

Yet we persist. We persist because we want more than anything to see our imaginations brought to life onscreen and to share these things with the world around us, no matter how vapid, meaningful, mundane, or epic they may be. We persist because, hopefully, we start having successes that convince us the whole mind-numbingly painful process is worth it in the end.

Birdie and I are saddened by the lack of filmmaking discussion around here. There's plenty film discussion but not much about the actual act of filmmaking and this thread is our attempt to rectify that. The only real rule here is NO TEXT-TO-MOVIE posts. Please. No. Other than that, all other discussion is welcome. Want to promote your own projects? Do it! Birdie and I definitely will be! Don't have a project to promote? That's fine! Feel free to discuss aspects of filmmaking that intrigue you or the practices of filmmakers you admire.

So yes. LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE.

"My heart and mind are as they were when I was a child. Then I loved to play with toys and read stories of magic. I still do. My wish is only to make life happier and more beautiful for those who will go and see my films of fantasy."

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE!

[Post reserved for Project Index]

"My heart and mind are as they were when I was a child. Then I loved to play with toys and read stories of magic. I still do. My wish is only to make life happier and more beautiful for those who will go and see my films of fantasy."

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 am
Profile WWW

Reserved parking.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 am

Cool thread, but I lack the talent and money to put any actual visions onto the silver screen.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:13 am

Money? HA. I WISH.

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:14 am
Profile WWW

Speaking of how disgustingly obnoxious the filmmaking process can be, here's the year-old official trailer for the nearly three-year-old project that I'm still trying to get finished. It's gone through more incarnations then I could possibly try and remember anymore and the current version is nothing like the version that this trailer was technically promoting. On the bright side, the trailer was a non-sequitor anyway so it still works.

Amazing that it's been so long. Time flies when you can't feel feelings anymore. We're aiming to finally having it completed this coming summer but I don't have faith in hope anymore.

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:41 am
Profile WWW

Good idea for a thread. I'm not sure whether or not I'll actually be sharing anything at this point, since I'm a perfectionist and I'm not satisfied with anything I've done, but maybe in the future I'll have something I want people to see.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 am

I never made movies but I use to make plays up and get my sisters to act in them and some kids around the neighborhood. My parents and some other parents would be forced to watch these lousy productions which I directed, wrote and usually did all the sets for.

They were all bible stories. I didn't know anything else.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:52 am

^ That's pretty hilarious.

Here now are a few screenshots from a production we wrapped up back in September in all its standard definition glory:

Shipping this footage off to Birdie (our Dashing & Handsome Editor™*) tomorrow so we can get this edited and online ASAP. You hear that, Birdie? ASAP

* Paid for by Birdie.

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:07 pm
Profile WWW

Yeeesss maaaster

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:09 pm

I know I've posted this a couple of times here but I think it deserves to be reposted in a thread like this. This is one of my best-looking films to date, the fake trailer for OGGRA, VOODOO MONSTER FROM HELL. It was made over the course of one night in my driveway using almost all in-camera effects.

Title cards by Birdie.

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:44 am
Profile WWW

Having produced/shot/written/edited/logged/etcera'd hundreds of titles between 1981 and 2004 I can speak about production. All those memories are seared into my conscious mind. Especially the all-nighters. Especially the productions that were supposed to be all BetacamSPglorioushighquality, and the client would come up with a VHS clip that had to be included (sigh). Especially the all-nighters. Especially the fact that I was making every cent from producing videos, but the fact that no cent came from a 35mm (or even 16mm or even f-ing video-sourced) feature film that was fictional and that millions would see (sigh twice). And, especially the all-nighters.

WTF is a text-to-movie post? Hope I didn't inadvertently just make one.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:03 am

Gort wrote:
Having produced/shot/written/edited/logged/etcera'd hundreds of titles between 1981 and 2004 I can speak about production. All those memories are seared into my conscious mind. Especially the all-nighters. Especially the productions that were supposed to be all BetacamSPglorioushighquality, and the client would come up with a VHS clip that had to be included (sigh). Especially the all-nighters. Especially the fact that I was making every cent from producing videos, but the fact that no cent came from a 35mm (or even 16mm or even f-ing video-sourced) feature film that was fictional and that millions would see (sigh twice). And, especially the all-nighters.

Oh, oh! Tell us some stories, Uncle Gort! Tell us, tell us! 8D

No, seriously, I would love to hear. :D

Quote:

Stuff like wot clogged up this thread. No offense to those who enjoy making them (and I do enjoy some of them), they're not at all the kind of filmmaking we wanted this thread to be about.

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:08 am
Profile WWW

DaiKamonohashi wrote:

Oh, oh! Tell us some stories, Uncle Gort! Tell us, tell us! 8D

No, seriously, I would love to hear. :D

Can you comprehend my disappointment...well, I'm sure you can...to learn that I was very good at making institutional programs? That brought me large paychecks, but it's not as if I ever got to keep any of the money. I wanted, from the time I was 13, to direct films, FILMS! and had in my head (and in an occasional typewriter-written scenario) things that Cameron still couldn't do with his Avatar gear. They never would have been done, of course, but I imagined that they could and that I could do them. (Takes a moment to remember the hubris of youth.)

So, the vid-production business was supposed to be nothing more than a way to finance my own films, FILMS!, but the bloody institutional things took all my time.

In desperation I would occasionally get to make part of a training video into a dramatic or serio-comic playlet. But that's hard to do when you're training aircraft fuelers. Knowutimean? A certain department store Christmas training show had enough of that comic stuff that it was used all year round in training sessions for new hires. I suppose I should feel that I accomplished something there. (sigh)

I still sometimes write down scenes, dialog and shot cues, but I figure I'll never get to make a fictional film, even a short one.

Still. I constantly remember that: I bees not yet daid!

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:23 am

Gort wrote:

Glad you asked, because I didn't know either. Then when I saw the example, I felt dumb for not knowing because I do know what they are.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:53 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Glad you asked, because I didn't know either. Then when I saw the example, I felt dumb for not knowing because I do know what they are.

I think Mod was really into them at one time. I went to the site, but never established an account.

The Future Unreels

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 am

It's simply what that thread became. It was fun for a couple weeks.

last.fm

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 am
Profile WWW

The New ULTRAMAN SORTA teaser trailer is official! WOOOOOO.

Also, Gort, you about made me cry with that post of yours! FOR GOD'S SAKE, GO MAKE A MOVIE! I can't bear the sadness! D8

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

So on a whim today, we made a new little film doodle. Here's a shot from the outtakes:

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:19 am
Profile WWW

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
Also, Gort, you about made me cry with that post of yours! FOR GOD'S SAKE, GO MAKE A MOVIE! I can't bear the sadness! D8

"Don't cry for me, 'monohashi,
The truth is I have a hobby
All through my wild dreams
My shooting schedules
I cannot control,
And deadlines are pressing."

Yep, I have dreams sometimes that always involve these points, although the dreams take place in different locations:
1. I am able to shoot a fictional feature film that I have written, budgeted and cast. It is never the first day of the shoot, and there has been a gap in shooting, but if I can just get going I should be able to wrap in two days (that weekend).
2. My ex-wife cannot watch our children that weekend. The boys are still small.
3. I am in the middle of moving my place of business from one office space to another, and the place where we're moving is always in a bizarre location. Once, it was located in a sort of nook off a metalworking shop. How was I expected to record voice-overs or do audio mixing there!?
4. One or more of my cast members or crew members are unable to make it to the first setup, and whoever cannot be there is one person who absolutely has to be.

I view this as the equivalent of a dream where you're running from a lion in the middle of the mall and suddenly realize that you forgot to put on your pants. :D

I hope the ridiculousness of my dreams will dry your tears. The water could loosen some glue on a miniature and cause catastrophe!

The Future Unreels

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:36 am

....... bizarre. 0_o You seriously have these recurring dreams? Because, well, as sad as that still is, that's also kind of amazing.

Also, here is the aforementioned outtake:

Hopefully the real film will be done relatively soon. XD

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:17 pm
Profile WWW

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
....... bizarre. 0_o You seriously have these recurring dreams? Because, well, as sad as that still is, that's also kind of amazing.

Outtake is quick. I used to do that to my little brother. We were supposed to be raking, of course.

I used to try writing horror films that I could produce easily. One I was working on in 1981 when i got married had a lot of reversals of film cliches, the most enticing of which (to me) was to have someone inside a bathtub with a knife, who then attacked the young woman who was stripped and ready for her bath, so that when she swept the plastic shower curtain aside, there was the killer, ready to slice her up.

I think it's now been done in someone else's film.

naturally, that was turning the Psycho scene on its head.

Oddly, as much as I love gaiju I never contemplated writing and trying to produce one, because I knew that constructing the monster suits and the miniature city sets (as much of a blast as that would have been for me) would make my budget personally unaffordable. On the other hand, slice and dice films don't need much beyond a few sharp instruments, some kinky ideas and a bucket or two of faux blood.

But the film I'm always working on in these dreams is neither of those kind, but a science fiction film.

Oh, and actors. I never had the actors for my film ideas. I failed to cultivate friendships with the kind of folks who would be in front of the camera. A sad oversight on my part. :(

The Future Unreels

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:34 am

Gort wrote:
Oddly, as much as I love gaiju I never contemplated writing and trying to produce one, because I knew that constructing the monster suits and the miniature city sets (as much of a blast as that would have been for me) would make my budget personally unaffordable.

Really? OGGRA cost less than $200 for all the elements used to make the effects happen! A small kaiju film wouldn't be too hard if you plan it well enough. :)

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:36 am
Profile WWW

DaiKamonohashi wrote:

Really? OGGRA cost less than $200 for all the elements used to make the effects happen! A small kaiju film wouldn't be too hard if you plan it well enough. :)

You see, that just goes to show how little I know. In my defense, I was a teenager or young 20-something when I was planning movies, and a $200.00 expenditure would have wrecked my budget. Although, back then, the stuff would not have cost even that much. ;)

The Future Unreels

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:53 am

Woo, looks like I'm putting another short project together this weekend! Cross your fingers for me, everyone! Not only is it for a contest but it is also for one of my class finals so this NEEDS to go through, else I'm totally fucked! XD

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:18 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, what?

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:19 am
Profile WWW

Sweet!

The Future Unreels

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:26 am

Just desserts.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:29 am

:shifty:
don't really feel comfortable but.......

Here's my latest project: http://vimeo.com/29647700
password is: cademade

It'd be really cool to hear some feedback.

also here is my vimeo page with some past projects:

http://vimeo.com/user2397535/videos

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Yay! Someone other than me is posting projects!

I have to say I'm not ENTIRELY clear on the nature of the story but there are several emotional undercurrents that resonate with me so I don't dislike it - I just wish things were a little more clear is all. Picture-wise it's all gorgeous - I'm very jealous of those with DSLRs. My only complaint there is that it was a little frustrating how often the two characters' faces were entirely in shadow. Sometimes it worked very well and other times I just wish there'd been a bounce card right out of frame. My favorite part was the first time the man played his music. That sequence was GORGEOUS. Loved it. The one thing that I would say to change right off the top of my head is that it takes too long for the woman to get to his place. If nothing else, the portion where she walks down the stairs is a little over-long.

Overall though I enjoyed watching it. Thanks for sharing! :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:05 am
Profile WWW

Yeah the shadows thing, I wanted to make it dark but at times its a little overkill. I should have trimmed the stairs but I just love the way that looks. Thanks for the view homie.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:34 am

Neon Indian wrote:
Yeah the shadows thing, I wanted to make it dark but at times its a little overkill. I should have trimmed the stairs but I just love the way that looks. Thanks for the view homie.

My computer connection is forcing me to download this in order to play it in anything but little pips, so I'll watch it on my 42" TV and let you know what I think, once it's ready to view.

The Future Unreels

Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 am

First of all, let me say that I have difficulties with short films because it is difficult to develop character in them, and without character there is very little to a film aside from the visuals.

Visuals are clearly something that you handle well. I'll put my responses behind spoiler tags for a while.
The interesting character is the girl who doesn't want anyone to say "I love you." She offers a skeletal explanation as she's departing the boy's apartment, something about not wanting to lie in having to say the same phrase back. That's pretty good. But there is a long pan of the boy's apartment, and he's not of interest to me at that moment. So seeing everything in that room is puzzling to me.
I understand that you're limited in budget and in technical availability of equipment. But the audio annoys me, and it's only because to me a film is audio and imagery, but primarily audio. Odd, I suppose, but even when I was producing industrials I still spent a hell of a lot of time building the audio. I found the muted gaps in your sound track more than puzzling or interesting, because at first I thought my frakin' audio had quit. Or, maybe there was a fault in the download that had rendered the rest of the movie silent. I felt a Grrr. Then I realized that it was a stylistic flourish on your part, so it quit bothering me in that way. I'd have preferred for the audio to gradually fade to silence, in order that I would know that it was going away on purpose.
The acting is passable for the most part, and I understand that it's difficult to find masterfully talented actors at your level of production. I can also imagine that you did several takes before settling for what we see in the final product. A rather elaborately stilted exchange grated on my nerves. In fact, there is only one exchange like that ... which makes me think you did it in a stilted way on purpose ... and that is the one where the actress looks directly into the camera lens to speak. I was confused whether she was doing an aside for the audience, or speaking to her date at that point. And then his response sounds as if he is reading from cue cards. This just bothered me. I understand post-production and being stuck with what you're stuck with, so it's not a complaint. But I figure you want honest reactions to guide you in future productions.

I don't mind being left not knowing exactly what I've seen at the end of short film. I really don't like it if a feature leaves me hanging in that way. But I would like to know more about the girl.
I wish you had told me a couple more things, although I have no idea what they would be. The situation is purposely scripted to be tense, and to have a disconnect. I think I can see that. But, if only there were a little quirk that I could learn about her that would allow me to have an explanation or even more than one...rather than the abrupt ending. I sort of read the soft-focus last shot of the date as having the meaning that he was distracted terribly by the way the evening turned out, but the music helped him get centered again. Probably making that all up.
A good effort. At least you are dealing with the dramatic and tech sides of getting something done. :) Best of luck with future efforts. you have a really cool directorial name, by the way. I expect to see it in lights, someday!

If you have questions, I'll see if I can answer them. Oh, BTW, it looks cool on a 42" screen.

The Future Unreels

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:52 am

GORT! Thanks so much for the review. Seriously I need all those pointers. So thank you lots.

Yeah acting man its impossible, I haven't really found any actors I can trust, also I'm still trying to get better at dialogue.

Yeah the silence must be confusing, I liked it but now I'm second guessing it. Oh well.

I'm glad you watched it on a big TV!

Time to get working again. Thanks man so so so much.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Okay, so for the Corrierino's exclusive(ish) viewing pleasure, here is the incomplete cut of THE TERRORMISU that I turned in for the Vimeo Weekend Project contest (we didn't even place Q____Q):

I'm working on a final, extended cut that I aim to have finished in a couple of weeks. Changes may include:

- More special effects scenes! Including a couple more shots of the titular creature, some more city destruction, and shots of the tanks FIRIN' THEIR LASERS.
- A few more shots of people. Some will be stuff I cut to keep the current version from getting too talky due to having so little creature footage and some will be new footage of people running for their lives and dead folks covered in whipped cream. Yup.
- Different music arrangement, more complete sound mix.
- Improved title cards, courtesy of Birdie.

In the meantime, feel free to watch the current version and let us know how you like it! :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:30 am
Profile WWW

I love the shot of the guys getting ready to look at the plan. All the elbows hitting the tabletop. Cool. I had to laugh. Then the takes after the punch line in that scene, too.

Nice. Many clever touches. :up:

The Future Unreels

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:34 am

Yeah, that was easily my favorite scene to film. It was near the end of the shoot and we all just said, "FUCK IT, LET'S GO CRAZY," hence why it wound up so animated.

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 am
Profile WWW

Yeahhh... I really need to do those title cards because they're probably the ugliest things I've ever made. And that includes the deformed two-legged Eeyore plushie I made in my middle school home ec class.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Good Lord. Some people must now get their kicks from releasing spambots that do not advertise porn sites, cigarettes, or Viagra, but merely enter forums and spam meaningless conflations of partial statements stolen from disparate websites, and which ultimately have no meaning except to piss me off. :D Or make me marvel at pointless, unproductive ingenuity. And it gives Steven something to do in what would otherwise be spare time. :roll:

EDIT: Now that the Bear has removed the offending post, my post makes little sense!

The Future Unreels

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Last night's Ultraman Sorta shoot with actress Jas Sams went pretty spectacularly! Transferring the footage now and it looks GREAT.

Oh God, so funny it hurts. XD

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:35 am
Profile WWW

Some stills from last night's shoot!

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:29 pm
Profile WWW

A Few Words About Final Cut Pro X
The release of Final Cut Pro X did not go over well in the video world. The ill-will directed towards the software from industry professionals was almost immediate. While my initial reaction to the software was much more positive than the consensus, it's gradually soured the more I've used it. This has less to do with the way the software itself works; No version of FCP has been without its pros and cons. I like a lot of the changes, particularly the way the timeline works, though I think the way the software allows you to organize and preview your clips is a serious step in the wrong direction. And I don't really care that it's not backwards compatible with older versions of the software (this seems to be the biggest complaint among industry professionals, but rarely do I revisit old projects so it hasn't been a big issue for me yet). At work, we've found the new version much much easier to teach to the average shmoo from around town, which has saved the staff a lot of time, hair-pulling, wailing and gnashing of teeth trying to teach video editing to idiots. No, the real problem with Final Cut Pro X is how it interacts with other post-production software. Because, with the exception of Motion and Compressor, it doesn't. Previous versions of the Final Cut Pro Studio came with wonderful additional software such as Color, Cinema Tools, DVD Studio Pro and Soundtrack Pro, which gave editors immense control over things like color timing, DVD authoring and sound mixing, but none of these have been integrated into Final Cut Pro X workflow. So really, FCPX is very slick, but essentially it's just a down and dirty video editor with severe cross-application limitations for professionals who like to tinker to create better looking finished products.

So to hell with that. :x

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Get our your scissors.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:22 pm
Profile WWW

I always liked Premiere Pro + Magic Bullet + Cineform more than Final Cut Pro, but I did use the latter for one short I did years ago.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 am
 Re: LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE!

Yeah I've been thinking about switching to Adobe. For now I think I'll be going back to the old Final Cut since I already have that software, and I'll wait and see if Apple gets their act together with X in the upcoming year or two. If they don't then I will probably switch to Premiere.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:22 am

I've actually never touched FCP, always used Premiere pro, as I find shipping adobe files is a lot smoother when you can shortcut things like after effects to share 'recently saved' files between program with a bit of coding trickery.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:07 am

OKAY SO. I'm ultimately making the Weekend Project version of THE TERRORMISU public! There will be a longer director's cut later on down the line but it's taking longer to finish than I expected and at this point it's going to be plenty unique enough to justify having two versions of the short online. So here's the current version! Enjoy it and SPAM THE HELL OUT OF IT. EVERYWHERE.

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 pm
Profile WWW

Nice trailer. I think it could be even shorter though.

Did you write and direct this?

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Andrew Ryan wrote:
Nice trailer. I think it could be even shorter though.

Did you write and direct this?

I'd rather go longer. At least another 30 seconds to work in some more FX footage. XD Why shorter?

And yes, I did write and direct this. And co-starred in it. And directed the special effects. Among other duties.

-Eiji Tsuburaya

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm
Profile WWW

DaiKamonohashi wrote:

I'd rather go longer. At least another 30 seconds to work in some more FX footage. XD Why shorter?

And yes, I did write and direct this. And co-starred in it. And directed the special effects. Among other duties.

Nice!

I don't know, I just thought of how funny a teaser terror-misu trailer would be. What is the running time on this? Plan on entering it in any festivals? Would you rather write or direct? Or both?

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next