It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Wrapped Up In Books 
 Wrapped Up In Books

BOOKSHELF

ImageImageImage

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:32 am
Post Re: Wrapped Up In Books

I bet this ends up like the Pokemon thread.
*bookmarks thread*

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:35 am
Profile YIM

I'm ashamed at my lack of reading since internet access became so pervasive.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Any erotica lined up?

Wolfy wrote:
Any erotica lined up?

Of course YOU would ask that.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:43 am
Profile YIM

dreiser wrote:
I'm ashamed at my lack of reading since internet access became so pervasive.

Yeeahhh this was my problem for the last five years or so. Over the summer I realized I was pretty much spending my whole day at work staring at a screen, and then going home and spending a large chunk of the evening staring at another screen, so I just started forcing myself into a routine of stopping at the café after work, unplugging, and unwinding with a book for a couple hours. I'm nowhere close to the level of book-consumption I was at in high school, but it's nice to get away from the computer for a while. Actually... should probs be heading over there in a few minutes.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 am

Wolfy wrote:
Any erotica lined up?

Not at the moment. :P

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:51 am
Post Re:

Birdie Num Nums wrote:
Yeeahhh this was my problem for the last five years or so. Over the summer I realized I was pretty much spending my whole day at work staring at a screen, and then going home and spending a large chunk of the evening staring at another screen, so I just started forcing myself into a routine of stopping at the café after work, unplugging, and unwinding with a book for a couple hours. I'm nowhere close to the level of book-consumption I was at in high school, but it's nice to get away from the computer for a while. Actually... should probs be heading over there in a few minutes.

I applaud the effort.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:53 am

I already love this thread. I've also been trying to spend more time reading lately.

Outer Space (Tscherkassky, 1999)
Seven Chances (Keaton, 1925)
Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein, 1925)

My Random Screencaps blog

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:08 am

Ace wrote:
I bet this ends up like the Pokemon thread.
*bookmarks thread*

I laughed.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 am

"I'm a horribly slow reader and an even slower writer..."

You have my empathy and I await, with a teaspoon of eagerness, the continuation of this thread.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:46 pm

I read books, but I also read The New York Book Review, which is kind of like a fancy Reader's Digest of sorts, isn't it? Well, not really. But even though some of the reviews make me very curious about the targeted books (sometimes as many as 5 in one review) I never bother to go get them from the library, and, of course, I can't afford to buy them.

So, why don't you give us some insights about all kinds of things you read, besides only the books?

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:32 am

Gort wrote:
I read books, but I also read The New York Book Review, which is kind of like a fancy Reader's Digest of sorts, isn't it? Well, not really. But even though some of the reviews make me very curious about the targeted books (sometimes as many as 5 in one review) I never bother to go get them from the library, and, of course, I can't afford to buy them.

So, why don't you give us some insights about all kinds of things you read, besides only the books?

Hmmm... honestly I mostly just read books. Occasionally I'll pick up a New Yorker or Rolling Stone for an interesting looking article but that's about it. :shifty:

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:17 am

That's okay. Ya gotta live your life your way. ;)

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:23 am

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ~ Stieg Larsson
A compulsory page-turner written with the grace of a dead moose, the first installment of Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy is at such odds with itself from page one that it is often difficult to extricate its strengths from its weaknesses. Are we anxious to get to the next page to discover the next clue in the story's sprawling and complex mystery… or simply to flee from yet another page of the author's plodding prose? In penning these novels, the late Larsson may have have seen himself moonlighting as a pulpy crime novelist, but it was his day job as a left-leaning journalist and activist that dictated his fiction. Larsson clearly wrote from what he knew, and his knowledge of the corruption and misogyny at work beneath the surface of Swedish commerce and society gave him a deep well of material from which to craft the tangled and twisted backdrop of murder and sadism among the Scandinavian upper crust against which The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo unfolds. While this background enabled him to concieve of an immensely compelling plot, it does not do his writing style any favors. The book is written in the blandest and bluntest sentences, piled one on top of another with little consideration for pacing or structure; Larsson, it would appear, did not like to mince words very much. But this is not the elegant economy of a Hemmingway. This matter-of-factness instead reads like a dry newspaper column, rattling off factoids, statistics, dates, brand names and the like with a straightforward lack of finesse. When mingled with the more lurid moments of the story, it reeks of the sort of low-brow sensationalism you'd find in a tabloid. And when Larsson's own strong opinions on matters such as the unscroupulous underbelly of business and government enter the fray, all else comes to a screeching halt for a few clumsy moments on the soap box. I feel it's important to point out that I have little doubt Larsson's novel was written from a very moral and empathetic perspective. His journalistic pursuits were built on such convictions. But as a writer of fiction, he hadn't quite found a voice that was distinctive from his other career, so his attempts at social commentary just do not mix well with the crime thriller elements, resulting in confused mixed messages. This issue is compounded with the introduction of Mikael Blomkvist, one of the two central protagonists, who, as a virtuous investigative journalist, is very obviously a character based on Larsson himself. But despite the compelling mystery Blomkvist is contracted to unravel, Larsson often loses focus and seems more intent on utilizing his avatar to inflate his own ego, particularly where the ladies are concerned. This playboy persona tends to take center stage, taking the reader on unwanted detours into his personal life and away from the elements of the book that are the most intriguing: the whodunit around which everything hinges, and the girl with the dragon tattoo herself, Lisbeth Salander. A remarkably well-drawn character in contrast to the rest of the cardboard cutout cast, the intensely secretive Salander becomes something of a mystery in her own right. It's 1 AM and I don't give enough fucks to finish writing this review. ~ Birdie Num Nums

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Pretty much how I felt about it, too. Needed more Lisabeth and less of everything else.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:09 pm
Profile WWW

I always wonder how much is lost in translation... still, it sounds like a poor man's modern day James Ellroy.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
I always wonder how much is lost in translation... still, it sounds like a poor man's modern day James Ellroy.

From what I've heard, the translation was a rushed job, so there's a very good chance that could have contributed to some of the clunkiness. The New Yorker wrote a very good article on the trilogy. The story surrounding the books' publication is almost more interesting than the books themselves. It's also a better read than my laziness.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:53 am
 Re: Wrapped Up In Books

I've set a goal to read (at least) 36 books this year, and would love some recommendations.

The list so far:
Battle Royale ~ Koushun Takami (DaiKamonohashi)
Cloud Atlas ~ David Mitchell (ledfloyd)
Monsieur Pain ~ Roberto Bolaño (bubba)
Survivor ~ Chuck Palahniuk (Andrew Ryan)

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Birdie Num Nums wrote:
I've set a goal to read (at least) 36 books this year, and would love some recommendations.

The list so far:
Battle Royale ~ Koushun Takami (DaiKamonohashi)
Cloud Atlas ~ David Mitchell (ledfloyd)

Nice idea for a thread.

Some recs:

Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
Night by Elie Wiesel
The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien
Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich (a fun read, short too. 1-2 sittings)
Easy Riders and Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind (one of my favorites regarding film history)

Nice write up on the Dragon Tattoo. I think its one of the rare examples of the films surpassing the source material.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Andrew Ryan wrote:

Nice idea for a thread.

Some recs:

Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
Night by Elie Wiesel
The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien
Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich (a fun read, short too. 1-2 sittings)
Easy Riders and Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind (one of my favorites regarding film history)

Nice write up on the Dragon Tattoo. I think its one of the rare examples of the films surpassing the source material.

Sweet thanks. I'll take the Palahniuk. Been meaning to read more of his writing beyond Fight Club for some years now.

I still have to see Fincher's take on Millennium. It was probably my most anticipated film of 2011, but it never came to town, so that's a bummer.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]