Post Insane Males

Discuss.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:02 pm
Post Re: Insane Males

:D

(took me a minute)

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:04 pm

My download disconnected, rendering it useless. Anyone know a good torrent site to grab 720p rips of shows? ugh

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Trip wrote:
My download disconnected, rendering it useless. Anyone know a good torrent site to grab 720p rips of shows? ugh

No, but I know a good site for streams.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Eww, no thanks.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Trip wrote:

Sorry, wish I did. I know pwiedenheft torrents 720p rips, I just texted him.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Tvtorrents probably has 720p up by now.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Derninan wrote:
Sorry, wish I did. I know pwiedenheft torrents 720p rips, I just texted him.

<3

Quote:
Tvtorrents probably has 720p up by now.

Sounds good. Need an invite though, boo.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:13 pm

http://torrentz.eu/549345d4266bf75e40df ... 223f159949

That is a list of most of the links available to torrent.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:15 pm

I like this show. A lot.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:23 pm
Profile WWW

pwiedenheft wrote:
http://torrentz.eu/549345d4266bf75e40dfe4fdaa0731223f159949

That is a list of most of the links available to torrent.

I'm a bit scared of public torrents, though.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 pm

OK, I found a two-part Fileserve, it's all good.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:13 pm

SPOILERS FOR THIS WEEKS EPISODE

Instead of writing a full review, I'll just say that Mad Men is probably my favorite show of all time and has had a huge impact on me over the past few years. It's return was pure joy to me and I am so so happy to be back in the world. So I'll just list some of my favorite things in the episode....

-"How old will I be when you're 40?", "You'll be dead." I've long maintained that as bad as Don can be he has always tried to be a really good father. He doesn't always succeed but at least he is trying and he seemed to really enjoy being with them at the beginning of the episode. I've been arguing his good parenting since "The Hobo Code" in season one, when he wakes Bobby up in the middle of the night and begs of him "Ask me anything."

-"Nobody loves Dick Whitman" killed me a little inside and made me hate Megan for a few scenes. She has no idea.

-Megan is hot and that dance was such a great mixture of hot and creepy. Creepy only in the sense that you just know Don hates that all the people in the room and everyone he works with is thinking about fucking his wife. And that's followed by...

-"A wise man once told me 'The only thing worse than not getting what you want is seeing someone else get it,'" which lead to the priceless look from Jane.

-The entire party sequence, for that matter, rocked.

-"Bonjour!"

-I loved the sequence with Joan coming to the office. The way every character was coming in and out and the show was using so many secrets from every character. "There's my baby!" The scene with Peggy and Pete arguing over the stroller. Even Megan's response to Peggy's question about the stroller "Why don't you leave it in on the step's of a church" left me wondering if Don had told her Peggy's great secret (I don't think Don would ever tell anyone but still.) And I loved seeing how moved and genuinely happy Joan was when she realized that they needed her in the office more than ever.

-How about that final sex scene? Holy. Shit. I love when Don whips out the ol' S&M. Whether it's tying up Bobbie Barrett in "Maidenform" or getting slapped by prostitutes in "Public Relations."

-Any time Pete's office is used for jokes, I laugh.

-I have marveled at just how far Harry "Creeper" Crane has fallen since season one. Was it that long ago he was a newlywed feeling deep deep shame for cheating on his wife? The man had to RUN out of the Kodak presentation. He had to get back to a place where he knew he was loved! But then again, I run out of the room sobbing every time I hear that speech.

-Pete looking out the window. "Where's Harry?", "Who cares?"

I can't wait to see where this season goes. I wonder what will come from the civil rights stuff. Will we enter Betty Francis' castle of doom? How will Megan and Don work in the long run? Will Harry Crane be able to find a picture that is a suitable substitute for losing a window? I know I'll be tuning in to find out.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Trip wrote:
I'm a bit scared of public torrents, though.

I've always used them and never had problems. They post the full episodes on iTunes every Monday. Those are the only ways I know to get them besides On Demand.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 pm

TV Torrents is ugly, but amazing. Thanks Char!

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 pm

I wrote a whole long post and it got lost. Damn it.

pwiedenheft wrote:
-"A wise man once told me 'The only thing worse than not getting what you want is seeing someone else get it,'" which lead to the priceless look from Jane. .

That was so good. Especially since there are already signs that Don's marriage to the sexy young babe could easily head to the same place as Roger and Jane's unhappy marriage.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:03 pm
Profile WWW

Everything surrounding Megan in this episode was great in general. I know a lot of people had doubts about the twist at the end of last season - I certainly wasn't one of them - but this episode should prove that the Don/Megan marriage was never going to be an easy way out, and that there are very rich storytelling possibilities brought up by their relationship. Don wanted the perfect sexy trophy wife like Betty used to be for him, and it's already obvious here that he's getting something much different than he bargained for, that Megan's public showing off of her sexiness is very different from Betty's projection of the perfect smiley homemaker, and that Megan is, surprise surprise, an actual person of her own. Don has a tendency to idealize women early in his affairs, and Megan was no exception, but he barely knew her and now he's having to come to terms with the gap between his fantasy and the much more complicated reality. The signs of strain are especially there in the scenes after the party, when the gulf between them is huge, and Megan makes a taunting joke about Dick Whitman that shows that even though Don has shared his darkest secret with her, she doesn't understand him any better than he understands her.

The scene where she's angrily cleaning the apartment in her underwear - besides being devastatingly sexy - is such an interesting study in the power dynamics of their relationship. The AV Club review read that scene as Don reasserting his masculine control over her, but I think that's totally wrong. Don may take a dominant pose, grabbing her hair and taking her on the floor, but he's the one who's giving in, and she's the one in control. She presents him with a provocation, teasing him and goading him into the reaction that she hadn't been able to get out of him after the party, when he'd coolly rejected her come-ons. She's all but using her body as a weapon, forcing him to make the move to reconcile them.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Profile WWW

Gah, I'm a season behind. Can't wait to catch up and discuss these with you guys...

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:23 am

I honestly thought this was going to be Trip indulging in his erotic obsessions. Disappoint.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:03 am

sevenarts wrote:
The scene where she's angrily cleaning the apartment in her underwear - besides being devastatingly sexy - is such an interesting study in the power dynamics of their relationship. The AV Club review read that scene as Don reasserting his masculine control over her, but I think that's totally wrong. Don may take a dominant pose, grabbing her hair and taking her on the floor, but he's the one who's giving in, and she's the one in control. She presents him with a provocation, teasing him and goading him into the reaction that she hadn't been able to get out of him after the party, when he'd coolly rejected her come-ons. She's all but using her body as a weapon, forcing him to make the move to reconcile them.

Yes, exactly. She almost loses it when she says "no! You just get to watch," as the swelling of emotion almost capsizes her game. That was a truly great scene, for the obvious, sexy reasons, but also for the massive power struggle on display.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:05 am

Beau wrote:
I honestly thought this was going to be Trip indulging in his erotic obsessions. Disappoint.

Me too :down:

A Film By...Sprinter's ListSubtitled (in memories)Poster Extravaganza

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:24 am

Beau wrote:
That's another thread for another period and time, apparently.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 am

i don't care for this thread title. if it wasn't for joan peggy and sally i might not even watch the show.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:28 am

ledfloyd wrote:
i don't care for this thread title. if it wasn't for joan peggy and sally i might not even watch the show.

I'm sure Trip spent a good couple hours thinking of synonyms for Mad and Men.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:40 am

pwiedenheft wrote:

i'm sure that went right over my head.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:53 am

sevenarts wrote:
That was so good. Especially since there are already signs that Don's marriage to the sexy young babe could easily head to the same place as Roger and Jane's unhappy marriage.

"Why don't you sing like that?"
"Why don't you look like him?"

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:10 am

ledfloyd wrote:

I think the parts with Joan were perhaps my favorite in the episode...love her!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:20 am
Profile WWW

Derninan wrote:
Yes, exactly. She almost loses it when she says "no! You just get to watch," as the swelling of emotion almost capsizes her game. That was a truly great scene, for the obvious, sexy reasons, but also for the massive power struggle on display.

Yes, definitely for the power struggle...nah, but it really was, good stuff sevenarts!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 am
Profile WWW

found the racial stuff all heavy-handed, tbh, i hope they can integrate it better in the coming weeks...

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 am
Profile WWW

pwiedenheft wrote:

Batty Dudes would've been my suggestion.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 am

ledfloyd wrote:

Peggy may be my favorite character in the show at this point. And Sally really had a tremendous season four. Joan's breakdown in the office was one of the highlights of last night's episode. Basically I'm agreeing with you but without your sarcastic negativity!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 am

Derninan wrote:

Disgruntled Dicks is what I was pushing for.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 am

Derninan wrote:

Batty Boys would've been more suggestive.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 am

There really isn't a character on the show I don't like spending time with. There are certain minor ones like Ken Cosgrove, Harry Crane, or Stan that I don't think are strong enough on their own but if combined with the right scene partner can be great. For instance, the Harry Crane and Roger scene this week was pretty fantastic.

I'm also in a very small minority of people that enjoy Betty subplots and don't complain when the show doesn't focus on the office as much and spends more time with Don and Betty.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 am

I like Betty just fine, but I have to say I didn't miss her at all this episode. Don's "Lurch and Morticia" quip was enough reference to her and Henry.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 am
Profile WWW

I find myself missing the Don and Betty interactions, though I don't consider that a negative mark against the show and the direction it's taking. Actually, the sparsity of Don/Betty scenes gives the ones that do arrive more weight and power.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am

Mad Men? Never watched it but my friend Lisa is a cameraman on the show. You can thank her for the look of the show since she's been working on it for years. Her alter-ego (don't ask) is married to Don Draper.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 am

pwiedenheft wrote:
There really isn't a character on the show I don't like spending time with. There are certain minor ones like Ken Cosgrove, Harry Crane, or Stan that I don't think are strong enough on their own but if combined with the right scene partner can be great. For instance, the Harry Crane and Roger scene this week was pretty fantastic.

I'm also in a very small minority of people that enjoy Betty subplots and don't complain when the show doesn't focus on the office as much and spends more time with Don and Betty.

I also enjoy Betty. I think she is utterly fascinating, even if she makes you want to scream from time to time.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:58 pm

I've followed the show for years and the Betty hate has always sat poorly with me. In season one, people complained that she was so weak and dumb for turning a blind eye to Don's infidelities. In season two, they blasted her for having a one nighter with a stranger at a bar. Season three they criticized her development against Don and beginning to have an affair with Henry Francis. She was much stronger at the end of two and throughout three than she ever could have been during the first season. She was able to kick Don out of the house and call him on his shit. She stood up to him more and had the courage to confront him when she opened the drawer.

I am not defending everything about her. Certainly she can be very childish and selfish. I also think the biggest reason for a lot of people's hatred towards her is the way she treats Sally. But there are a few things to consider. Betty is a child of wealth who was raised in a very socially conservative and strict household. She comes from "good stock." And the way we treat children today is very different from how they were treated back then. The modern day ideas of child development just weren't around back then. It was expected that a 10 year old act like an adult and behave very proper when the situation called for it. I think Betty is deeply frustrated with Sally not conforming to what Betty's expectations of children are. It probably has something to do with Don being the father and being raised by two parents who grew up very differently and have very different ideas. A big part of season one is Don's refusal to ever hit the children when they misbehave. I think that caused a schism in Sally and Betty flat out doesn't know what to do with it.

And I do think it's pretty harsh and there is certainly an element of sexism in the way people approach the Draper marriage. Don is our hero and we root for him no matter what. He has multiple affairs throughout the seasons, up to and including Sally's teacher. That's an awful thing to do but the audience forgives him. Yet they despise Betty for it. Matthew Weiner has said it's an unspoken rule of TV that the wife cannot cheat. The same thing happened to Carmela when she began sleeping with David Straitharn (forget the character name) during her separation from Tony. The audience reacted like "How could she do that?" yet blissfully ignored the fact that Tony opening had affairs and had girlfriends and slept with every stripper at the Bada Bing.

Weiner has also stated he suspects that another reason he suspects people hate Betty is because of January Jones' beauty. He believes that subconsciously the audience is thinking "You're rich and beautiful and have gotten everything you want, quit being such a bitch." They never try to understand where she's coming from in the way they try to see what Joan or Peggy are going through. It was a changing time and I think it's important for the show to present a character who was born five or seven years too late. She grew up and did exactly what was expected of her and she's as empty and unfulfilled as any character on the show. She married a handsome and successful man, got a storybook home, beautiful children. And then she found out he had been lying to her everyday, had been married before, Don Draper wasn't his real name, and he had affairs behind her constantly. How would you react?

As I said before, I think she can be awful as well. She can be cruel with the children and vicious towards others for selfish or petty reasons. But I do think she's complex and one of the more fascinating characters on the show. She, like all of us, has her reasons. And it really drives me nuts that people still talk about how they want her off the show and she's worthless now that they're divorced. I don't think that's true at all and I hope the show continues to explore her journey.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Real good post, man.

Strong, enjoyable ep (eps). That big guy, the designer who works alongside Peggy, is yum. Would.

Wonder where this Pryce affair business is actually going.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:50 pm

I don't even watch the show, but that was a fascinating post with a surprising amount of empathy, pwiedenheft.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I don't even watch the show, but that was a fascinating post with a surprising amount of empathy, pwiedenheft.

I feel bad that you read it and read about twenty major spoilers for the show. You should definitely check out the show anyways and forget everything I just said. Thank you for the compliment though.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:06 pm

Trip wrote:
Wonder where this Pryce affair business is actually going.
This right now is what interests me more than anything. His scenes, along with the party, were my favorite of the first episode.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:40 am

When Pryce started dancing for Joan I nearly fell out of my chair. Such a great character.

Either that or Roger saying "bonjour" was the best somebody-making-fun-of-Megan moment.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 am
Profile WWW

Lane instantly became a fan favorite for me when he shouted WASIKAWASAKA!!!! At the movie theater. Though I don't condone the practice of talking during a movie.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:29 am

Derninan wrote:
Lane instantly became a fan favorite for me when he shouted WASIKAWASAKA!!!! At the movie theater. Though I don't condone the practice of talking during a movie.

Heh, same. Gamera!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:46 am

Maybe the best analysis of the season premiere I've seen thus far: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/773 ... re-mad-men

"I've always believed the true vortex of Mad Men was the process of Don Draper consciously inventing himself. It was not that he merely changed his personality — he stole an identity and constructed a life as someone who did not exist. He's (literally) a self-made man who's fundamentally unreal. But because of the way television works — because he was introduced as a cool, bold, brilliant machine with absolute control of his day-to-day existence — it was impossible not to infer that those qualities were the concrete composition of his actual character. This creation, it seemed, was who he was. But that cannot be. That version of Draper is the first one we see, but it's the second iteration of reality. It's an iteration he selected and manufactured. The qualities we associate with "Don Draper" are simply the qualities he elected to adopt and promote; they are advertisements for the unreal product of him."

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:28 am

Derninan wrote:

Eh I don't think she has much, if any power. She's realizing that the sexy wife he wants isn't necessarily going to be what he always wants. She has to play a type and is figuring it out. Ohhh the baggage she's going to be lugging around until they break up or come to terms with their relationship.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:19 am

LadyStranger wrote:
Eh I don't think she has much, if any power. She's realizing that the sexy wife he wants isn't necessarily going to be what he always wants. She has to play a type and is figuring it out. Ohhh the baggage she's going to be lugging around until they break up or come to terms with their relationship.

I meant more in terms of that particular scene/argument. It's a losing battle she's fighting, but she seems like a fighter.

Good episode tonight. Loved the Brian Jones conversation. Joan was sorely missed.

And hey, Jon Hamm directed and by my eye, he did a good job.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Derninan wrote:
I meant more in terms of that particular scene/argument. It's a losing battle she's fighting, but she seems like a fighter.

Good episode tonight. Loved the Brian Jones conversation. Joan was sorely missed.

And hey, Jon Hamm directed and by my eye, he did a good job.

He may have been a bit too "on the nose" with certain scenes, but that was probably more a problem with the writing, otherwise his direction was great. I really enjoyed the scenes in Betty and Henry's house, it all looks so dark and foreboding.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 926 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next