Wolfy wrote:
Laurent!

Maybe

almost arthouse

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The 82nd Annual Academy Awards

Wolfy wrote:
I watched her on Walters. She said she never shaved her body hair because it falls off when you get old. Yea....

Oh, I know. She also mentioned that she shaved her legs about 15 years ago or so, and it hurt, so she just didn't do it again. For some reason, I think she may have done it wrong.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile WWW

tilda!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

More people should breakdance to Hans Zimmer.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

ledfloyd wrote:
tilda!

you heard me. :D

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:50 pm

To cap of tonight's event, I will now go listen to Tangerine Dream's Near Dark score.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:52 pm

The Great One wrote:
Really happy for Bigelow, but damn no surprises.

best short animated film and best foreign film were surprises. i somehow guessed wrong on both screenplay awards as well.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Leera wrote:
Is there something I don't know about Mo'Nique? Is she a Black Panther? Because I kind of already find her to be a bit intimidating, in a strange way. I read the other day that she has an "open relationship" with her husband and they can have sex with other people. She hasn't, but she's pretty sure he has, and that's totally okay with her. :roll:

I'm not gonna judge her marriage. It probably works for her and it isn't our business. That said, she is SCARY and looks like :

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Leera wrote:
Is there something I don't know about Mo'Nique? Is she a Black Panther? Because I kind of already find her to be a bit intimidating, in a strange way. I read the other day that she has an "open relationship" with her husband and they can have sex with other people. She hasn't, but she's pretty sure he has, and that's totally okay with her. :roll:

well, that explains why her husband is married to her.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Mallory wrote:
I'm not gonna judge her marriage. It probably works for her and it isn't our business. That said, she is SCARY and looks like :

Eh, I think it's just that my freshman roommate had the same relationship with her long distance boyfriend, but not until after he cheated on her, so it was basically an excuse to let him cheat and still date him (which always seemed incredibly stupid, to me, because he was a complete ass). But it's probably different with Mo'Nique; her husband seems okay, and she seems to be extremely aware of and staunch in her beliefs.

But yes, holy shit, she does look just like Ursula... this is one of those things I'll never be able to "unsee."

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

Leera wrote:
Eh, I think it's just that my freshman roommate had the same relationship with her long distance boyfriend, but not until after he cheated on her, so it was basically an excuse to let him cheat and still date him (which always seemed incredibly stupid, to me, because he was a complete ass). But it's probably different with Mo'Nique; her husband seems okay, and she seems to be extremely aware of and staunch in her beliefs.

But yes, holy shit, she does look just like Ursula... this is one of those things I'll never be able to "unsee."

Cheating is something I fear about LDRs which is why I'd be really hesitant to get into one unless there was a lot of trust between myself and a man. But what I've mostly known/understood from people in open relationships is that they see sex as simply a physical act. Not an emotional one, so as long as that emotional element is removed it doesn't jeopardize the relationship. Makes sense to me. Not something that could work for most, and definitely not myself, but its practical in this day and age when high divorce rates exist. Animals in the wild aren't monogamous either.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Mallory wrote:
Cheating is something I fear about LDRs which is why I'd be really hesitant to get into one unless there was a lot of trust between myself and a man. But what I've mostly known/understood from people in open relationships is that they see sex as simply a physical act. Not an emotional one, so as long as that emotional element is removed it doesn't jeopardize the relationship. Makes sense to me. Not something that could work for most, and definitely not myself, but its practical in this day and age when high divorce rates exist. Animals in the wild aren't monogamous either.

Yeah, in that context it makes perfect sense. I just wonder why, if she thinks that, she hasn't also taken advantage of their open relationship. I thought the same thing of my roommate, though, in that case, it was just her making one too many concessions to maintain a shitty relationship. And it just leads me to wonder why women seem to find monogamy easier than men, or if it's just that as a society we give men too many loopholes and excuses to not be monogamous. But I don't really have any basis to be passing judgment on such relationships, so if it works for Mo'Nique, then good for her.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:35 pm
Profile WWW

Leera wrote:
Yeah, in that context it makes perfect sense. I just wonder why, if she thinks that, she hasn't also taken advantage of their open relationship. I thought the same thing of my roommate, though, in that case, it was just her making one too many concessions to maintain a shitty relationship. And it just leads me to wonder why women seem to find monogamy easier than men, or if it's just that as a society we give men too many loopholes and excuses to not be monogamous. But I don't really have any basis to be passing judgment on such relationships, so if it works for Mo'Nique, then good for her.

You don't think there's any factual/scientific backing to the whole "nesting vs. spreading the seed" thing?

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Brightside wrote:

You don't think there's any factual/scientific backing to the whole "nesting vs. spreading the seed" thing?

Uh... what?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

Leera wrote:
Uh... what?

You were talking about giving men too much leniency or whatever in regards to men not wanting to be monogamous.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Different people are different and do different things for different reasons.

I solved the world's problems.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Brightside wrote:

You were talking about giving men too much leniency or whatever in regards to men not wanting to be monogamous.

I know, but I'm not 100% sure what the "nesting vs. spreading the seed" business is. I get the gist of it, but if I'm going to provide an opinion on it, then I'm going to need a bit of clarification. If you're arguing that women are naturally meant to "nest and nurture" and men naturally feel a compulsion to "spread their seed," then no, I don't think that, no matter what factual/scientific evidence there is. I would say that the whole "it's natural" thing is one of those excuses that provides leniency for members of both sexes to cheat. If countless couples can be together for life, then it seems like that'd be the ideal, otherwise why waste the time and money on getting married? People just don't try hard enough to not cheat, or they're too chicken to just end their current relationship. I don't think it's any coincidence that our slackened opinions on monogamy go hand-in-hand with adultery suddenly "booming." Besides, if you don't want to be with your partner anymore, you've found someone new, then just break it off and start the new relationship. There's no plausible reason for cheating, in my book (although, breaking up a relationship to start one with someone new also negates the whole monogamy thing, of course).

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:53 pm
Profile WWW

Leera wrote:
I know, but I'm not 100% sure what the "nesting vs. spreading the seed" business is. I get the gist of it, but if I'm going to provide an opinion on it, then I'm going to need a bit of clarification. If you're arguing that women are naturally meant to "nest and nurture" and men naturally feel a compulsion to "spread their seed," then no, I don't think that, no matter what factual/scientific evidence there is. I would say that the whole "it's natural" thing is one of those excuses that provides leniency for members of both sexes to cheat. If countless couples can be together for life, then it seems like that'd be the ideal, otherwise why waste the time and money on getting married? People just don't try hard enough to not cheat, or they're too chicken to just end their current relationship. I don't think it's any coincidence that our slackened opinions on monogamy go hand-in-hand with adultery suddenly "booming." Besides, if you don't want to be with your partner anymore, you've found someone new, then just break it off and start the new relationship. There's no plausible reason for cheating, in my book (although, breaking up a relationship to start one with someone new also negates the whole monogamy thing, of course).

Eh, I couldn't dismiss decades of research so easily like you are. I do agree on most of the rest, though. No reason not to grow up and take responsibility and end the other relationship before diving into a new one. Even if there is indisputable scientific evidence backing a "spread the seed" mentality inherent in men, that doesn't give them the right to cheat.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:56 pm

I know guys who put having sex with many women over having a meaningful relationship with one woman. I know guys who put meaningful relationships with one woman over having sex with many women. When one of the former gets mistaken for one of the latter, there is nothing they won't say to maintain the image of the former with the behavior of the latter, because that's the whole point of the endeavor. Don't think girls don't do the same.
Brightside wrote:
Eh, I couldn't dismiss decades of research so easily like you are. I do agree on most of the rest, though. No reason not to grow up and take responsibility and end the other relationship before diving into a new one. Even if there is indisputable scientific evidence backing a "spread the seed" mentality inherent in men, that doesn't give them the right to cheat.
It's not true because someone calls it 'science'. People used to call Freud 'science'. It's silly.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 pm

LEAVES wrote:
It's not true because someone calls it 'science'. People used to call Freud 'science'. It's silly.

Yeah, I'm not about to say the scientists who study it are wrong.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:02 pm

Brightside wrote:

I just wonder how often these studies are conducted by women. And humans are different from animals in many, MANY ways (talking, walking, wearing clothes, driving cars, etc.), so I see no reason why we always cling to these ideas that we're supposed to be just like them in certain ways. Like, women always have to be nurturers because that's the role they play in nature? Too bad I think kids are disgusting and I want no part in that shit. And even actual cases of adultery that I know of seem to be more about emotions and sometimes about psychological warfare between couples than it seems a biological thing, even on the man's part. That's how it was when my parent's relationship went all pear shaped. I think men like sex (so do women), but I'm not entirely sure that they like sex because they like reproducing. In fact, some men seem to be absolutely terrified that they'll reproduce. For issues as complex as adultery, I don't think you can dismiss it as a biological urge, and of course that also means that I shouldn't dismiss it as never being about biological urges. It's absolutely impossible to put human relationships into boxes.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:05 pm
Profile WWW

Coke slalom wrote:
What's with the eye roll?

Just saying it wouldn't be okay with me, and from that position, I'm amazed that it is okay with her. I've been a bit smiley happy as of late and :roll: seemed most fitting.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile WWW

Leera wrote:
I just wonder how often these studies are conducted by women. And humans are different from animals in many, MANY ways (talking, walking, wearing clothes, driving cars, etc.), so I see no reason why we always cling to these ideas that we're supposed to be just like them in certain ways. Like, women always have to be nurturers because that's the role they play in nature? Too bad I think kids are disgusting and I want no part in that shit. And even actual cases of adultery that I know of seem to be more about emotions and sometimes about psychological warfare between couples than it seems a biological thing, even on the man's part. That's how it was when my parent's relationship went all pear shaped. I think men like sex (so do women), but I'm not entirely sure that they like sex because they like reproducing. In fact, some men seem to be absolutely terrified that they'll reproduce. For issues as complex as adultery, I don't think you can dismiss it as a biological urge, and of course that also means that I shouldn't dismiss it as never being about biological urges. It's absolutely impossible to put human relationships into boxes.

Yeah, I don't disagree.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Leera wrote:
Religion.

Little less religion.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Leera wrote:
Just saying it wouldn't be okay with me, and from that position, I'm amazed that it is okay with her. I've been a bit smiley happy as of late and :roll: seemed most fitting.

Open marriages aren't that unusual. You can be lovingly non-monogamous, and it's certainly a better alternative than not working out something with your spouse before you play around.

One sexual partner till death do us part just isn't the way to go for some people.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Marktime wrote:
Religion.

Little less religion.

I wouldn't be so sure. EVERY church I've ever been in was a hive of adultery (and I was involved in at least 3 or 4 different churches growing up). The last church I ever attended was like a goddamn soap opera. The church worship leader/pianist had more conquests (some only attempted, others actually realized) than Hugh Hefner. I would know because one of them was my mother, another was my aunt, another was my 9th grade algebra teacher, and another was a friend's mom; all of them went to our church. But then again, my church-going experience was a special brand of hell.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:16 pm
Profile WWW

Brightside wrote:

Yeah, I'm not about to say the scientists who study it are wrong.
I am. It's not true in my case, and there are many people who take many steps to avoid having children. There, done. It doesn't do discourse any favors to cite something merely because some scientists said it, regardless of its veracity, and then refuse to take it off the table just out of reverence. If you're not willing to stand behind it, then don't hid behind it.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:17 pm

DJ Rkod wrote:
Open marriages aren't that unusual. You can be lovingly non-monogamous, and it's certainly a better alternative than not working out something with your spouse before you play around.

One sexual partner till death do us part just isn't the way to go for some people.

Yeah, I know. Like I said earlier, I just find it interesting that every time I've encountered an open relationship, it's only the man who takes advantage of it. Also, it's extremely hard for me to put myself in the mindset where an "open relationship" would be an okay thing. But I do acknowledge that yes, theoretically it works for some couples.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:18 pm
Profile WWW

I don't believe in monogamy, although I feel no need to have sex with more than one person. I'm just not much of a whore. I know whores, though, and they're good people.

I always wonder if people who think that one should only have sex with one person believe it's wrong for a person to love more than one person.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:21 pm

LEAVES wrote:
I am. It's not true in my case, and there are many people who take many steps to avoid having children. There, done. It doesn't do discourse any favors to cite something merely because some scientists said it, regardless of its veracity, and then refuse to take it off the table just out of reverence. If you're not willing to stand behind it, then don't hid behind it.

I'm pretty sure they know a tad more about the human body and its genetics and such than you do, so I'll go ahead and render them a more credible source than you. I'm not saying there's no discourse to be had, as I'm sure this has been hotly debated for ages and isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm just not about to dismiss a scientific finding.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Brightside wrote:

I'm pretty sure they know a tad more about the human body and its genetics and such than you do, so I'll go ahead and render them a more credible source than you. I'm not saying there's no discourse to be had, as I'm sure this has been hotly debated for ages and isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm just not about to dismiss a scientific finding.
Absolute nonsense.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Leera wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. EVERY church I've ever been in was a hive of adultery (and I was involved in at least 3 or 4 different churches growing up). The last church I ever attended was like a goddamn soap opera. The church worship leader/pianist had more conquests (some only attempted, others actually realized) than Hugh Hefner. I would know because one of them was my mother, another was my aunt, another was my 9th grade algebra teacher, and another was a friend's mom; all of them went to our church. But then again, my church-going experience was a special brand of hell.
...That is messed up.

I just mean the popularization of monogamy, and the reason it's the "ideal." It's ingrained in our way of thinking because of the way humanity moved forward.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:22 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Absolute nonsense.

You're the genius. :up:

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Brightside wrote:

You're the genius. :up:
You're committing fallacies left and right.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:24 pm

LEAVES wrote:
You're committing fallacies left and right.

All I said was that I'm not going to dismiss the notion that there's a genetic element to the whole "spread the seed" theory and I'm getting hammered? So much for open-mindedness, I guess.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Marktime wrote:
...That is messed up.

I just mean the popularization of monogamy, and the reason it's the "ideal." It's ingrained in our way of thinking because of the way humanity moved forward.

Yeah, I suppose so. It's like many things in that regard, we don't understand it because it's in opposition of what we're used to. I try to be of the "whatever works for you" mindset, but some scenarios are easier for me to relate to or even imagine myself in than others are, and I can definitely relate some of those to my religious upbringing. While my church was a massive orgy, it wasn't something that was taught or even made public.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:28 pm
Profile WWW

Brightside wrote:

All I said was that I'm not going to dismiss the notion that there's a genetic element to the whole "spread the seed" theory and I'm getting hammered? So much for open-mindedness, I guess.
haha.

Appeal to authority is a great fallacy. You can't just put something out there, cite that it's 'scientific' (without actually citing the scientists - it could have been an article on The Onion, for all I know, or a spinoff of Freudian bullshit) and then refuse to address the topic because of 'scientists'. It's 100% fallacious and does nothing but avoid discussion of the facts that will lead us toward the truth. Why don't we all start citing specious studies that may or may not even exist until we have so many contradictions of reality that there is nowhere to stand?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:29 pm

I don't have any urges to see other people and would not entertain considerations of that sort as long I'm with someone I really care about, believe in, and love. But that's conditional..

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:30 pm

LEAVES wrote:
haha.

Appeal to authority is a great fallacy. You can't just put something out there, cite that it's 'scientific' (without actually citing the scientists - it could have been an article on The Onion, for all I know, or a spinoff of Freudian bullshit) and then refuse to address the topic because of 'scientists'. It's 100% fallacious and does nothing but avoid discussion of the facts that will lead us toward the truth. Why don't we all start citing specious studies that may or may not even exist until we have so many contradictions of reality that there is nowhere to stand?

Who said I wanted to debate it? I don't have a stance on the issue. I'm just absorbing knowledge. You can go ahead and debate it, though. You're clearly smarter than I am.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Brightside wrote:

On one hand, I can see where it's easy to just trust the scientists, because I know nothing about science and they do. However, I do know enough about science to know that scientific theory is in part based on the idea that nothing is ever a fact. Not even gravity is a complete certainty. They have to accept the fact that we don't know everything, and because of this there's always a possibility that even the theory of gravity could be proven false. And, like I mentioned, you have to think about the context and reasonings behind such studies. There are people out there who set out to prove creationism and have found scientific evidence to back it up, but that's far from being widely accepted as fact.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:33 pm
Profile WWW

Brightside wrote:

Who said I wanted to debate it? I don't have a stance on the issue. I'm just absorbing knowledge. You can go ahead and debate it, though. You're clearly smarter than I am.
Hunker down in the bunker, defending the name of 'science'! You've won, you're clearly absorbing things.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:34 pm

By the way, me and Mo'Nique apologize for starting this argument.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:36 pm
Profile WWW

Leera wrote:
By the way, me and Mo'Nique apologize for starting this argument.

Hey hey, don't knock it. I'm about to rattle off the nominees for Best Supporting Debate here.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:37 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Hunker down in the bunker, defending the name of 'science'! You've won, you're clearly absorbing things.

This is why I don't discuss things with you. You're insanely condescending.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Brightside wrote:

This is why I don't discuss things with you. You're insanely condescending.
And you're insanely dismissive. But I'll take the blame! I'll do it!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:42 pm

LEAVES wrote:
And you're insanely dismissive. But I'll take the blame! I'll do it!

What am I dismissing? I'll gladly entertain both schools of thought.

You won't take the blame. You're perfect.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Brightside, don't worry about it. Anyway, this should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Brightside wrote:

What am I dismissing? I'll gladly entertain both schools of thought.

You won't take the blame. You're perfect.
You dismiss any attempts to discuss the point in question by using a fallacious appeal to authority, specifically referencing the knowledge of genetics which is irrelevant in this case, then you use the victim complex to play an emotional card. Sorry, I'm only engaging in reasonable, dispassionate discussion, but I'm not going to be ridiculed by a trickster's sophistry. Whether I'm perfect or not is irrelevant, let's address the point in question - is my reasoning sound?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:49 pm

LEAVES wrote:
You dismiss any attempts to discuss the point in question by using a fallacious appeal to authority, specifically referencing the knowledge of genetics which is irrelevant in this case, then you use the victim complex to play an emotional card. Sorry, I'm only engaging in reasonable, dispassionate discussion, but I'm not going to be ridiculed by a trickster's sophistry. Whether I'm perfect or not is irrelevant, let's address the point in question - is my reasoning sound?

I'm a bit anxious right now, so I'm sure I'm being silly. I'd hope you could understand that. Like I said, I have no solid stance on the issue in question. If I did, I'd gladly discuss it with you, condescension and all, because that's what I like to do. I like to learn.

| letterboxd

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Brightside wrote:

I'm a bit anxious right now, so I'm sure I'm being silly. I'd hope you could understand that. Like I said, I have no solid stance on the issue in question. If I did, I'd gladly discuss it with you, condescension and all, because that's what I like to do. I like to learn.
Then think.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next