It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 a young person's guide to cinema 
Post Re: a young person's guide to cinema

wigwam wrote:
young man, your guide to the cinema has led you to the remote control :?

if i ever post about american television here, this thread will be closed.

Fashions of 1934 (William Dieterle, 1934)

William Powell is an investment guy who's always out and about trying to make deals. After his latest scheme goes bust, he shacks up with a young Bette Davis to start scamming the fashion industry. Somehow we then find ourselves in France. And then somehow we then find ourselves in a Busby Berkeley number. This film has enough plot strands for 4 different movies, but it just moves too damn fast to stick with any for too long. Of course it's over in 80 minutes. Powell is a charming motherfucker in this, and Bette Davis is on some Joan Bennett-level shit in this, too (she's all "i don't care about him" but we know what's going down). Lots of fun.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:39 am

Resident Evil* (Paul W.S. Anderson, 2002)

I'd seen this many, many years ago when it came out. But that was pre-cinephilic consciousness so whatever it was doing was wasted on me. After the Vulgar Auterists and other critics have lionized him since what 2010 (?), I finally decided to check him out again. Anderson's film is a constantly trying/frustrating experience. He clearly has an interest/fascination with those claustrophobic spaces and whenever things are relatively still he is actively ratcheting up the tension. But when things get too chaotic, he kinda loses everything. The space becomes a mess and whatever formal chops he exhibits become muddled. There's also a cool recurring surveillance motif that kinda pops up here and there, though mostly gets abandoned halfway through (as it becomes an escape film). His strengths are also clearly not based on character, nor does he at any point show any interest on nuance (everyone is a type) outside of Jovovich's character. She's the only one really afforded any type of introspection or mystery or anything like that.

Editor's Note: the bad CGI main monster and the hilariously awful electronic music are kinda awful/charming.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:49 am

Great Day in the Morning (Jacques Tourneur, 1956)

This is Canyon Passage-level of mysterious, complex mise en scene, meaning it's a masterpiece. Each scene full of confrontations, counter-balances, opposing ideologies, fluid characterization, pictorial beauty, self-destruction, and an acknowledgement of people's unknowable nature - the final shot (scene) is just incredible.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:15 am

great movie

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 am

With you on the first RE. Though I think I've seen it 5 times lol.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:36 pm

The Tourneur sounds great. But I love him. Must see.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Sergeant Rutledge (John Ford, 1960)

Woody Strode, late in the film, stands up from his seat, and towers over every one in the frame. His face, a mixture of despair and pride, speaks tons about the emotional power of the situation. It's the one moment where Strode really asserts himself as an individual and announces what he believes in, what he stands for, and ultimately who he is; but it's a moment that has him on the edge of breaking down, his voice cracking up and almost blubbering as he says "I'm a man!" It's a moment of pure naked emotion; and it's something that I'm not sure I've ever seen another Ford protagonist do. The rest of the film is pretty great, too.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:11 pm

comparing it to canyon passage is the only thing i understand. THE ONLY THING.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Nineteen 19 (Koichi Chigira, 1990)

The story of a young man hits up the clubs with his friends looking for love. I swear that about half of it is pure 80's neon cheesefest music video masquerading as an OVA. And the other half is totally boring nonsense about the main dude losing his virginity and learning life lessons or whatever. Whenever this is at its most abstract music video imagery, it shines. Sadly, it isn't enough.

Cross Game (2009-2010)
50 eps

I gave up on Touch around episode 30 or so because I thought it was a little too slow but I could tell the sensibility was right up my alley (despite my total disinterest in anything to do with baseball). So I approached with Cross Game hoping it would be good. What I didn't expect that it would fantastic. In fact, it pretty much completely outshined anything else I've seen in a while. This has to do with the incredibly patient and subtle approach to the storytelling. The characters are given room to breathe and we observe them rather than them having to voice out everything they're thinking. It's also another show that understands the importance of time to deal with suffering. In the very first episode, we're witness to a tragedy (the scene where the main character realizes what happened is one of the best scenes I've ever seen in an anime), and it's that absence that provides an anchor to the show and what makes everything after it happen. It's also a show that gives great importance to objects and their significance as time passes (just think of the clocks that the main character uses or the list that he has hanging up on his wall) that's worthy of Ozu. Honestly, it's shows like this that make me believe in the beauty of long-form narrative storytelling. You just can't do something like this in a movie. The final episode's realization, thanks to the years of pain and suffering, of glances, of small encounters, hits you like a ton; and then the final image is perfect, a metaphorical simplicity that is just beautiful, anything is possible. Why must you know more? Beautifully realized, impeccably written, a small miracle. Will you believe?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Princess Jellyfish (2010)
11 eps

A young man dresses as a woman in order to escape his fate as a politician's son. A young woman takes refuge in a woman's only dormitory filled with other women who've pretty much rejected the world and focused only on their own hobbies. So of course that young man basically crossdresses his way into their life. Though the young man does give them at points beauty makeovers, it isn't a show where he makes it a mission to make them over or make them beautiful. He's simply fascinated by the young woman's odd and fragile nature, so much so that he can't help but meddle in their lives and help them out. Because this is a noitamina show and the manga's still running, the show raises a bunch of possible plot points and then ends before it resolves any of them. But it's that incomplete nature that gives the show is wonderful personality; although the young man and woman have changed and are beginning to realize new things about themselves, they're still not done, they remain unfinished, complexly incomplete. But maybe more than anything else, I can't help but feel that the show's ending song is a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg7VIWiYLrM]message[/i] from one character to another, and it's this extra-textual context (along with the beautiful ending animation of the main character skipping along) that confirms how much I like the show.

Editor's note: plus the opening is full of movie references.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Cross Game sounds really promising. Plus, baseball.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Love Hina (2000)
25 eps

This is one of the shows that when I was first getting into anime, everyone had seen. For me, it's one of the classics, one of the foundational texts, a precursor to all the shit that's come out in the past 10 years. As such, it was my duty to see it. When they were kids, a boy and a girl made a promise to get into Tokyo's most prestigious university. But now the boy has forgotten the girl's name, and he's also failed the test to get in twice. Anyway, he ends up being the manager to an all woman's boarding house and this is a harem show and he's completely spineless and also a pervert and did I mention that there are hot springs out back and did I mention that each episode features him stumbling and falling and grabbing someone's breast and or opening the door and seeing someone right when they're undressing; yeah, so that's that. The show's worst aspects are definitely it's most slapsticky, or when the show loses the emotional focus of the story (the growing attraction between the two main characters, one of the greatest tsunderes ever created). It wasn't quite a disappointment because it's what I expected, but you know, you always want these things to be better than they really are.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Sword Art Online (2012)
25 eps

After being hounded by my friend to watch this, I finally gave in. The story's about a MMORPG that you can completely immerse yourself into; but what 10,000 people find out after they start to play is that they can't log out. And if you die in the game, you die in real life. Which is ordinary enough. That's just Hunter x Hunter's Greed Island arc. But the show really tries to invest in its main two characters and try to make them believable and make you understand why they would want to partner up; and it mostly works. Also to its benefit are the frequent time skips, which keep you off balance and give heft to the story (the growing love between the two main characters wouldn't really that important if they just had been together for a few days or whatever). Indeed, while the show's more action-y elements are mostly rote and just "okay," I thought the series excelled more when it focused on the romance aspects, and about how they view being stuck in this game as something that created something beautiful. The series' second half kinda kills the dynamic and introduces a much less interesting "villain" while also putting a forth a whole "sister in love with her brother" nonsense and for me is much weaker than the first 14 or so episodes. And this is with me being rather forgiving of the first 14 episodes (they're full of mini detours and little stories that explain a part of the world or a dynamic but ultimately don't amount to much). The only two that were interesting were the ones where they met Yui and the ones where Kirito joins a party for the first time, as they actually give you new information and give much needed depth to the characters. All that said, this is still a very fun series, specially if like me you're always up for those survival kind of shows.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Love Hina is one of those that's really only garnered such a high reputation by really being the first of its kind in the American market - before it (I'd like to say Tokyopop started putting it out for the US in '98-'01) harem comedy was something of an oddity, a new genre those of us who only ate up (at the time) the stuff that was being drip-fed over here by the early manga importers of late 90s and early aughts, it was a definite change from the action and shoujo books - so a lot of people grabbed onto it and it's kind of clung to being really well known ever since. It's of course, like 90% of harem, rather problematic, inconsistent with its character and just kind of.. not that interesting. I've never seen the show, maybe it plays a bit better but I've no desire to watch it because the central character is really spineless and weak-willed, he's the literal archetype of his genre, past and present condensed into a single character. Go Nagai did that kind of comedy better, hell, a ton of people before him did it better, some have done it better afterwards as well, but it's typically a genre I really don't like - and Love Hina's a good example of why it has no appeal to me, and it's probably the most iconic bit of harem manga or anime in the English speaking world I'd be willing to bet.

That reminds me that tokyopop is now defunct, which is a touch unfortunate - as they were definitely part of that drive to make manga and anime a firm part of Western youth culture back in the late 90's and early 00's - probably one of the most important. And they did it, as far as I can tell.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:46 pm

rad wrote:
Cross Game sounds really promising. Plus, baseball.

Cross Game is based on an Adachi manga - and a damn good one. So I'd hope so.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Yeah, it's not really very good; though there moments here and there were I thought it worked. Mostly, it's just kinda blah.

For me, a lot of those shows, along with the original Adult Swim stuff (and whatever played in Toonami) are the classics for American anime fans.

I remember reading a ton of Tokyopop releases back in the day. Good times.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Das wrote:
Cross Game is based on an Adachi manga - and a damn good one. So I'd hope so.

I'm not an anime guy, let alone a manga guy (although I did start reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure recently), so it's kind of rare that something sparks my interest from those camps. roujin makes some of it sound so good and I have trusted his taste so far in movies.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Rouj: Definitely, the toonami block along with the late night early Adult Swim anime was gigantic in getting anime over to the US in full force - before that it was a pretty small culture as far as I can understand it - know a guy who has some old 'unmirrored' fan translations that they printed and sold at comic conventions back in '94 and that's really interesting stuff. I've never been in one, but I see anime 'world' and centric stores - they look kind of repulsively centered on stuff that I tend to turn people away from when suggesting stuff for people to dig into manga and anime initially though, so I haven't bothered - my friend has told me they have a locked H-manga shelf. I guess that's what surprises me the most, that a lot of the parts of the culture I didn't think would ever get over here are present. Toonami, Tokyopop and those early publishers really did end up making a dent for the industry to push its way over.

Rad: Never a bad time to start, and Adachi in general is a phenomenal writer - Rouj mentioned Touch - which I haven't seen, but it's one of the great works in manga for sure. Has all the qualities he described about Cross Game, but stronger, really.

Also, there's a ton of Jojo's bizarre adventure, Good luck getting through it all, I couldn't.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:16 pm

I remember Toonami. Yeah I agree that that is what really helped it to take off, especially as a youth market. Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Dragonball Z etc were already playing as afterschool cartoons for a couple years beforehand though but I remember getting Cardcaptors, Gundam Wing and one or two others in the first "wave".

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 pm

in case you want to play along, this is the stuff I'm watching for the Johnnie To podcast:

have watched the following:

loving you (1995)
lifeline (1997)
a hero never dies (1998)
where a good man goes (1999)
wu yen (2001)
turn left, turn right (2003)

then I need to watch:

linger (2008)

then the following needs to happen:

Running Out of Time (1999) + Running Out of Time 2 (2001)
Election (2005) + Triad Election (2006)

And then finally the movies that are actually going to be discussed on the show:

My Left Eye Sees Ghosts (2002)
Throwdown (2005)
Exiled (2006)

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 am

roujin wrote:
Election (2005) + Triad Election (2006)

blegh

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 am

I saw Election fairly early in my Johnnie To appreciation, so it's due for a rewatch.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 am

Election and Election 2 (that's what they call it over here) were my first To's, in a back to back theater showing, but even with a lot more To under my belt a few years later I enjoyed them a lot on rewatch.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Is it just me or is Stein's gate first episode really quite rough in its first half? - the series is good so far, but that first episode was kind of a chore to get through for some reason - like it half-expected me to know how it'd be tonally before starting it.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:43 am

I had to get adjusted to it, because it wasn't at all what I expected (I also had trouble with its lighting schemes).

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14 am

Yeah - its got really excellent production values - but really washed out colors. Just have to get used to it.

I like how easily it blends all the things it's trying to do really effortlessly - I don't think I've really seen a series that has this much reach into different types of genre since Haruhi really.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 am

Orange Days

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 am

I don't know why I've been able to watch anime without any issues at all yet I can't make it more than a few episodes into Japanese TV dramas, but it's always been that way.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am

you never ripped that jerry lewis for me, do you hate me

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Das wrote:
I don't know why I've been able to watch anime without any issues at all yet I can't make it more than a few episodes into Japanese TV dramas, but it's always been that way.

It took me a while to get into them, but... I was a lot more forgiving of crap shows in high school than I am now.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:42 am

Why don't you own an avatar, roujin?

WHY?

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 pm
Profile WWW

flieger wrote:
comparing it to canyon passage is the only thing i understand. THE ONLY THING.

I apologise. I see things through new eyes. CINEMA

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:59 pm

:fresh:

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm

:D

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 pm

In my quest to not write about cinema in any meaningful way, I will now be doing this for the next couple of months. The show's good so far. I hope it stays that way.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 am

I hate to bump this out of the blue, but have you seen any Alps no Shoujo Heidi, Akage no Anne or Flanders no Inu, roujin? I'm currently going through the former, and really enjoying it, thanks to the subtitling efforts of a talented few. Would love to then go through the other World Masterpiece Theater titles, if they're worth it. Very, very impressed with how good this looks, too, being that it's been around for almost four decades - it looks just as good, if not better, than the early Ghibli stuff you can find on DVD. Lots of visual similarities, too. There are a bunch of early sunset scenes that reminded me a lot of those overwhelmingly yellow, probably sketchier "flashback" sequences in Nausicaa:

Image Image
Image Image

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:30 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't seen that, but I want to.

I made this list of favorite TV shows. Missing Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya, but what can you do. Forget this being accurate.

30. Francisco el Matemático (1999 - 2004)
768 episodes

29. Flowers of Evil (2013)
13 episodes

28. Monster (2004 - 2005)
74 episodes

27. Cebollitas (1997 - 1998)
458 episodes

26. Golden Boy (1995 - 1996)
6 episodes

25. Tres Mujeres (1999 - 2000)
275 episodes

24. Berserk (1997 - 1998)
25 episodes

23. Ranma 1/2 (1989 - 1992)
161 episodes

22. De Pies a Cabeza (1993 - 1997)
? episodes

21. Cowboy Bebop (1998)
26 episodes

20. Bokura ga Ita (2006)
26 episodes

19. Haibane Renmei (2002)
13 episodes

18. Nodame Cantabile (2007)
23 episodes

17. Cross Game (2009 - 2010)
50 episodes

16. City Hunter (2011)
20 episodes

15. Great Teacher Onizuka (1999 - 2000)
43 episodes

14. The Tatami Galaxy (2010)
11 episodes

13. Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995)
26 episodes

12. Coffee Prince (2007)
17 episodes

11. FLCL (2000)
6 episodes

10. Beautiful Life (2000)
11 episodes

09. Hikaru no Go (2001 - 2003)
75 episodes

08. My Boss My Hero (2006)
10 episodes

07. Kids on the Slope (2012)
12 episodes

06. Escaflowne (1996)
26 episodes

05. Honey & Clover (2005)
24 episodes

04. Kimi ni Todoke (2009)
25 episodes

03. One Piece (1999 - ?)
? episodes

02. Orange Days (2004)
11 episodes

01. Maison Ikkoku (1986 - 1988)
96 episodes

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:28 am

all of them mind-altering pieces of cinema, yes.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:31 am

would i even like any of these

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:32 am
Profile WWW

saw some of one piece w/ a kid i babysat, that's it i think

Profile WWW

yes.

tell me which ones :D

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:33 am
Profile WWW

flowers of evil
cowboy bebop
tatami galaxy
neon genesis evangelion
kids on the slope
flcl
haibane renmei

maybe but probably not

monster

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:37 am

oh you forgot The Shield

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:38 am

thanks. i'll probably choose based on time, but i'll let you know what i think :)

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:38 am
Profile WWW

hirtho wrote:
oh you forgot The Shield

will gladly watch the korean remake tho

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:47 am

I should get to Honey & Clover. But I also downloaded Flowers of Evil. Pick the ones you'd rec to me as well, pls rourou.

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:48 am

would rec everything to you tho

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:51 am

Escaflowne being 1996 kind of shocks me, the animation in that one is very ahead of its time in a lot of ways.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:55 am

where is fawlty towers

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next