It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 a young person's guide to cinema 
Post Re: a young person's guide to cinema

where's sailor moon

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:08 am

charulata wrote:
I should get to Honey & Clover. But I also downloaded Flowers of Evil. Pick the ones you'd rec to me as well, pls rourou.

Eikichi Onizuka (Great Teacher Onizuka) is hornier than all of the men in Ozu's filmography combined. Highly recommended.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:10 am

Lots of recs from that. Some of my favorite animes as well. Fuck I want to watch Kids on the Slope again. And Haibane Renmei. Escaflowne is badass. Def need to check out your #1.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 am

Onizuka was also my role model as a teacher.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 am

Onizuka should be every teacher's role model.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:22 am

Downloading Onizuka and Maison Ikkoku for a start.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:32 pm

don't expect anything aesthetically interesting. they're both pretty much comedies. the latter is very moving to me.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:37 pm

They both seem pretty great from what I'm reading about them.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:38 pm

my boss my hero is in my possession

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:46 pm

IS IT THE GREATEST COMEDIC WORK SINCE JERRY LEWIS

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 pm

i base my opinions solely on your screenshots, so yes

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:53 pm

roujin wrote:
don't expect anything aesthetically interesting.

Aggressive foregrounds (Soviets in the 20s, Americans in the 40s & 50s, Ruiz, et al) --
Image Image

Bergman-Nykvist:

De Palma:

Welles:

Ozu:

Image Image

Image Image

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:50 pm

that late 90s color palette.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Ahhh can't wait.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:45 am

alright. getting Onizuka now!

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:51 am

can't wait for everyone to be disappointed

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:18 am

wrote some about Tatta Hitotsu no Koi and its screenwriter Eriko Kitagawa.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:00 am

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ping Pong | Fumihiko Sori | 2002

yep, definitely a roujin movie. <3

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:42 am

:D

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:44 am

:)

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:13 am

flieger wrote:
Pretty sure this one isn't true. :D

Love that movie!

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:21 am

Ver, you need to watch City Hunter.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:03 pm

oo

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:37 pm

yes

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:27 am

Words on Wellman! Words on Wellman!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Will think of something.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Land of the Pharaohs (Howard Hawks, 1955)

Reminded me most of Red River than anything else. It's a weird project for Hawks. Most of his attention seems to be in the scenes where the pyramid is being built. He captures the scope and achievement of it extremely well. There are these really great non-narrative almost musical sequences that consist of nothing but footage of the thousands of extras dragging rocks. The problem of the film is that Hawks' characters remain abstract; more symbols for the traits that they embody than anything else.

Young America (Frank Borzage, 1932)

Borzage's compassionate gaze falls on a young kid who's known as the worst kid in the town. Opening up with a series of brief "juvenile court" sketches presided over by Ralph Bellamy's stern and yet lackadaisical judge, Borzage then moves on to focus on the particulars of one kid's story. Instead of the traditional Borzage romance, we get a beautiful friendship between boys (lying for each other, stealing for each other, and ultimately, witnessing). The kids are sublime and awkward, imperfect in their expression and emoting (reminded me a little bit of how the kid in Hereafter acted, of all things), while the grownups (Tracy, Bellamy, etc) are mostly negligible. There's an overbearing message about understanding troubled youth and not being quick to punish, but it's small potatoes when compared to the complexity and social nuance behind the image of our small protagonist, seemingly sacrificing his new home, taking one last look at the couple who took him.

In Vanda's Room (Pedro Costa, 2000)

A series of tableaux of ghosts drifting in and out of rooms. Less a narrative than a portrait of faces, needles, coughing, the dying of the light. People wander in and out of frames, mini-storylines are often advanced off-screen in overheard snatches of dialogue, the camera never moving, never judging, compassionate yet distant, another object in the room. Ossos, though an accomplished film, often felt like ill-considered Bresson aping. Here Costa finds a novel and wholly beautiful way to consider his subjects. I can't wait to see what he comes up with for Colossal Youth.

Workers for the Good Lord (Jean-Claude Brisseau, 2000)

A riff on the "lovers on the lam" that turns baroque and bizarre as it goes on, verging on transcendence (as all Brisseau does), while flitting about genre after genre (Marxist melodrama, action picture, erotic comedy?) sometimes within the same scene.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Heroes for Sale (William A. Wellman, 1933)

Movie #1: great war film; muddy battle scenes that are all chaos, fear and death; reversal of fates, ironies, etc.

Movie #2: drug addiction melodrama; the antsyness, the constant need; how it eats him alive and brings him shame.

Movie #3: good old fashioned working class romance; loretta young's eyes, diners, laundry joints and paychecks.

Movie #4: proletarian social justice movie; machines vs. humans, the pursuit of leisure, the rights of workers.

Movie #5: brutal depression era fable; radical depiction of solidarity amongst workers (and mob justice), the equality of man, an almost enlightened view of humanity, its foibles and its spirit of perseverance.

All of this is in 70 minutes.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:28 pm

roujin wrote:
Reminded me most of Red River than anything else.

"The Pharaoh is the cattle baron, his jewels are the cattle, and the Nile is the Red River." - William Faulkner

EDIT: Hawks later lamented that he "didn't know how a Pharaoh talked".

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Makes sense.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:56 pm

need to get into Costa more

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:09 pm

I knew you'd like In Vanda's Room better.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:45 am

flieger wrote:
Ping Pong | Fumihiko Sori | 2002

I adore this film.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:50 am
Profile WWW

Wanna see that Wellman probs. Vanda's Room as well.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:07 am

i should write about movies

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:13 am

Yes, but only ones involving table tennis contests.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:18 am
Profile WWW

Please direct me to those movies.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:20 am

Heroes of the East (Lau Kar-Leung, 1978)

This is like some comedy of re-marriage which then morphs into a martial arts showcase of the highest order. Gordon Liu and his Japanese wife duke it out like they're in a screwball comedy, except instead of talking, they fight. And it's pretty hilarious. Then, trying to win his wife back, Liu somehow starts an international martial arts conflict where he gets challenged by a ton of Japanese martial arts masters. Tons of variety, tons of incredible fighting, tons of everything. The biggest complaint is that the second half basically drops the wife character in favor of more fighting so it doesn't quite work on both levels, but it's still really good.

Late August, Early September (Olivier Assayas, 1998)

Can't lie. This shit is like catnip to me. Assayas' darting camera finely attuned to the everyday details that make up the life of bourgeois french existence, somehow forever in an in-between state, life to death, old to new, exciting to boring, Leydonen in a threesome (!?), the finer things in life. The ending is basically all that I look for in movies. Life goes on.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 am

First-rate Assayas. The Mia Hansen Love storyline takes on new levels of pervyness in retrospect though.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:09 pm

I really liked that Assayas also.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Is Assayas new flick with Kristen Stewart and Binoche his first English-language film? I think it is.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Isn't Boarding Gate or demonlover or Clean in English, largely?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Irma Vep to the same degree. I forget that degree, though.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Oh shit yeah. I don't know what I was thinking. Clean is English. Irma Vep a bunch of languages, French/English mix. I guess Boarding Gate too but I don't remember anything about the movie.

Lol ignore me

По́мните Катю...

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:02 pm

:D brain fart

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Izzy Black wrote:
I guess Boarding Gate too but I don't remember anything about the movie.

Nothing?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:10 pm
Profile WWW

Boarding Gate also has a mixture of languages (aka Kim Gordon speaking chinese).

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Epistemophobia wrote:
Nothing?

A little bit. For some reason that movie is just like a blur to me. I just remember Asia Argento walking around with a gun trying to outsmart people chasing her. Or something. I need to rewatch it.

По́мните Катю...

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:56 pm

At Berkeley (Frederick Wiseman, 2013)

Over its four hours, Wiseman develops a complex dialectic between the radical protesting tradition of Berkeley, and the administrative diligence needed to keep the place running. We sit in on lectures stressing the student's need to dissent, to develop their critical faculties in order to question the knowledge given to them and also to develop a system of self-assessment in order to see if they've succeeded. All these actually manifest at some point throughout the film (mostly during the film's centerpiece protest segment), but the efforts of the students are then undercut (or questioned) when Wiseman cuts back to the the administration side. It's here where the true effectiveness of their protest is tested and they come up lacking. This could seem like Wiseman is taking the side of administration, but what I think Wiseman respects is the tradition of Berkeley and he genuinely respects the efforts of the students, but he fundamentally disagrees with the methods that they take. There's one point during a meeting where someone decries "cheerleading" as basically being useless, and praised the rational, logical gathering and presenting of evidence toward making your arguments, which is basically the approach Wiseman favors. When Wiseman cuts to the students, all we see them do is use a bunch of slogans, say a bunch of non-specific things, get basic facts wrong and get nothing accomplished. Depending on where you think Wiseman falls on the side of the argument, a shot of the emptied and darkened school library is either a hilarious punchline to a completely uncommitted and ineffectual protest or a subtle mourning of the student's inability to change the environment around them. I had both reactions.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Ugh, won't really read coz still hoping this gets a release here. Really want to watch it though.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next