It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ] 
 The Corrierino Album Swap 34 
Post The Corrierino Album Swap 34

We return.

Sign up by Sunday, January 6th, give music, get music, say something about it all before Friday, February 1st.

The List:
Recommend music to the poster whose name appears below yours. Listen to tunes recommended by the poster above. Last on the list recommends to the first.

Torgo :dt880:
Willow :dt880:
Pinhead :dt880:
Ace
Dougal :dt880:
DJ Rkod :dt880:
Quite-Gone Genie :dt880:
jbissell :dt880:
Notes from Underground :dt880:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:26 pm
Post Re: The Corrierino Album Swap 34

Oh yes.

Last.fm

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:58 pm

I think I am all good. So, in

Outer Space (Tscherkassky, 1999)
Seven Chances (Keaton, 1925)
Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein, 1925)

My Random Screencaps blog

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:31 am

Hey, it's that one guy, and he has that one album!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:46 am

In!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:14 am
Profile YIM

Yes.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:48 am

I'm in.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 am

Yep.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Only a couple days left to jump in on this if anyone else would like to sign up! We can always use more players.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:05 pm

I'll do some swapping

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:38 am

The List:
Recommend music to the poster whose name appears below yours. Listen to tunes recommended by the poster above and post some dialogue, diatribe or declamation here before Friday, February 1st. Last recommends to the first.

Torgo
Willow
Pinhead
Ace
Dougal
DJ Rkod
Quite-Gone Genie
jbissell
Notes from Underground

Miscellanea, tips & tricks:
The links above lead to user's last.fm accounts. Look at them to get some idea of your partner's listening habits and maybe pick up some leads on potential recommendations. If anyone would like the link to their page removed, or has an account I've overlooked that they'd like added, just let me know in whatever way you see fit and I will attend to it as soon as I am able. Other music-profile sites are welcomed as well -- anything that'd help someone unfamiliar with your tastes get a handle on you.
If you encounter problems, such as difficulty finding the music that's been recommended to you, or if you have special needs or desires such as a torrent-only policy or a strong preference for lossless music, be up-front about it and as prompt as you can manage -- many of us are happy to help, but only if we know what we can do for you!
Headphone smileys will be placed next to users who have satisfied both halves of the swap's demands. You can find this list in the first post of the thread.
For those of you who plan on conducting their swapping privately or through channels other than this thread, do let us know how that goes so we're aware that you haven't abandoned your partners!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 am

pinhead, what do you generally like?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:28 am

Genie

From Books And Dreams ~ Message [FLAC]
This is a listenable but unexceptional 1993 CD reissue of the record, including a non-album single of the era, "Painted Lady."

70s heavy prog. So up your alley I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you'd already heard it.

Dougal, I'm perfectly comfy downloading my own music, so don't feel obligated to put something online unless you feel you absolutely must -- all I need is a name.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 pm

I suppose this would help, http://www.last.fm/user/Puking_corpse

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 pm

ACE

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18 ... 93d10f.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?n0pvgbb8t7bc2mn (can also be found on kg)

It's raw, it's angry, it'll make you cry for love, it'll make you cry for hate, undance it in the dirt, burn your welcome mat, go on a zebra killing spree, don't listen to your mind, don't listen to your emotions, listen to your balls.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Torgo, it appears you're familiar with Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Have you ever listened to Temple of the Dog?

Last.fm

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm

pinhead
Hanatarash: 3: William Bennett Has No Dick

Tell me if you've already heard it. There is a large deal of fucked up music in your last.fm so I think this should feel right at home.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 am

Always a day late....

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:29 am

El Seven wrote:
Always a day late....
Well, if you'd like to get in unofficially I'm sure we could find a couple people to double-up for you. If no one's volunteered by, say, tomorrow night, (call it about 30 hours after this post) I'd be happy to take a recommendation.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 am

Willow wrote:
Tell me if you've already heard it.

I have not, the title alone makes it a good choice

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:53 am

Yessss, make Hanatarash an album swap tradition.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 am

put a vacuum cleaner on your dick for extra verisimilitude.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:58 am

Notes from Underground wrote:
Torgo, it appears you're familiar with Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Have you ever listened to Temple of the Dog?
No, I haven't heard that one. They put out one album, right? I'll check it out. Thanks!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Pinhead wrote:
ACE

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18 ... 93d10f.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?n0pvgbb8t7bc2mn (can also be found on kg)

It's raw, it's angry, it'll make you cry for love, it'll make you cry for hate, undance it in the dirt, burn your welcome mat, go on a zebra killing spree, don't listen to your mind, don't listen to your emotions, listen to your balls.

Thats such an amazing album. Never seen that rat on defacement cover before, is that the reissue cover?

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 pm
Profile WWW

Willow, you appear to be a fellow metalhead, so please check out one of my favorite metal albums from the '80s:

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 pm

I dabble in metal

that works. Thanks

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Dougal PM me when you're on so I can send you your rec.

*Shuns Pinhead's rec* :P

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:02 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks, Rkod.

For jbissell:

Burgers - Hot Tuna

Terrible band name, awesome music.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Torgo wrote:
No, I haven't heard that one. They put out one album, right? I'll check it out. Thanks!

That is correct. Enjoy.

Last.fm

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:08 pm

sevenarts wrote:

Thats such an amazing album. Never seen that rat on defacement cover before, is that the reissue cover?

The reissue is this
The rat's one is probably one of the handmade, also found this one

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 pm

For Notes From The Underground:

One of my favorites from 2012

Gentleman Jesse - Leaving Atlanta

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:37 am

I was really hoping for a Gary and the Heartthrobs rec from you.

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 am

jbissell wrote:
For Notes From The Underground:

One of my favorites from 2012

Gentleman Jesse - Leaving Atlanta

Thank you.

Last.fm

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 am

charulata wrote:
I was really hoping for a Gary and the Heartthrobs rec from you.

That'll be extra credit.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 am

DJ Rkod

Afreaka! - Demon Fuzz

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:23 am

DJ Rkod wrote:
Well, if you'd like to get in unofficially I'm sure we could find a couple people to double-up for you. If no one's volunteered by, say, tomorrow night, (call it about 30 hours after this post) I'd be happy to take a recommendation.

Has this been sorted out? I'd be happy to take an extra recommendation.

Last.fm

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Has this been sorted out? I'd be happy to take an extra recommendation.
It has not! All I've heard from El Seven is what you see here -- indeed, if his profile is anything to go by he has not even been online since then. But, should he peek in here at some point, perhaps he will take you up on your offer.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Has everyone who's officially signed up gotten an album, then? Anybody still waiting on a rec?

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:28 am

From DJ Rkod:

From Books and Dreams - Message

I was jazzed by the heavy prog aura of the album art but the music is toothless. No hooks on this album. A snoozer. That single "Painted Lady", however, is a prog masterpiece. Why couldn't the album be more like that? The power of that single has me rethinking my criticism of the album, so it'll be shelved away like wine until I can better appreciate its hidden fruits. Maybe I'll love it in a few years.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Temple of the Dog
Recommended by Notes from Underground

Having already listened to "Hunger Strike" and "Say Hello to Heaven" many times on the radio, I went into Temple of the Dog thinking that the whole album would have the same alternative flavor. Instead, I found that this is something that would fit right in with either the blues or soul sections at the record store. The songs are all dirge-paced and manage to be both mournful and celebratory at the same time, which is appropriate given that the album is a tribute to the much too short life of Mother Love Bone's Adam Wood. If you have ever wondered why Chris Cornell is always on lists of the best male rock vocalists, this album is all the explanation you need. It is the best demonstration of his talent I have ever heard. The standout track is the 11-minute opus Reach Down, which is full of the kind of improvisation that appeals to the progressive rock fan in me. Overall, this is a very good album, but not a great one: most of the songs are solid, but none left that much of a lasting impression. Still, I thank Notes for encouraging me to listen to the entire album and for letting me relive the grunge years of my youth.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Soul Survivor - Pete Rock

Recommended by Ace

Got a bit lost in this record, and I’m unsure whether or not that’s a bad thing. Despite being a bit too busy at times, the production has a great laid back atmosphere that bleeds into all other aspects of the album. Admittedly I couldn’t tell half of the rappers apart, and really only picked out the verses by those I was already familiar with (pretty much just the Wu Tang members), and it meant very few of the songs stood out from one another. May just need a couple more spins. At the very least it’s lovely background music.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:48 am

Afreaka! ~ Demon Fuzz [FLAC] [V0] -- Recommended by Dougal
The above links are to the 2005 expanded remaster of this album, which throws in three very nice tracks from the band's cover single "I Put A Spell On You."

It's not as fuzzy, freaky or demonic as the cover, title or name of the band would suggest, but at the same time, it's some damn fine listening -- a sweaty, anything-goes mix of funk, rock, jazz and even a little touch of prog lovin'. I like the long, multisegmented nature of the tracks, I like the sound, I like the singer, I really like the band, and I particularly like the touch of gospel influence on "Hymn To Mother Earth" which is very nice and very chill towards the end there. Cool stuff (technically most of it is pretty hot, but, you know).

Thanks, Dougal!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 am

Hanatarash - 3: William Bennet has no dick

It's fuzzy, freaky and demonic. I'm not a harsh noise virgin but as leader of the Elton John fanclub I tend to hide from the genre, occasionally the noise wall falls down on me. Listened 2.5 times to this one, twice it managed to be a good soundtrack to my mood, once it miserably failed and I crawled back into Kate Bush's womb.
Great album though, I loved listening to the instruments while constantly getting distracted by all that freaking noise.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Gentleman Jesse – Leaving Atlanta
Recommended by jbissell

I'm not sure what to say about this. I thought it was pretty decent but it didn't leave a lasting impression. It's mostly comprised of high energy rock & roll songs about love gone wrong; in spite of this not-so-happy theme, it manages to maintain an overall sound of good cheer. I'm not sure I'll be going back to it as much as jbissell's last recommendation (Plays Pretty for Baby), but it's still worth checking out. Thank you for the recommendation.

Last.fm

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Gentleman Jesse – Leaving Atlanta
Recommended by jbissell

I'm not sure what to say about this. I thought it was pretty decent but it didn't leave a lasting impression. It's mostly comprised of high energy rock & roll songs about love gone wrong; in spite of this not-so-happy theme, it manages to maintain an overall sound of good cheer. I'm not sure I'll be going back to it as much as jbissell's last recommendation (Plays Pretty for Baby), but it's still worth checking out. Thank you for the recommendation.

I think Jesse writes some of the best hooks in the modern garage rock scene. His S/T album from a few years back is even better.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 am

So I said the other day in my music journal thread that I just could not get into power metal. If you consider Crimson Glory to be power metal then they are a slight exception to the rule. There are still elements of this album that strike me as being super power metal-y and I just can't really get behind it as much as some other metal releases with some similarities like the Iron Maiden's and Queensryche's of the world. However, this certainly kicks the ass of every Helloween album I've ever heard. The playing here is certainly technically proficent and often impressive. The vocals are very much in the vein of Geoff Tate and the songwriting is consistently trying to strike a balance between EPIC and HEAVY and it succeeds in some aspects. I mostly enjoyed this. I'm not sure if I'll come back to it all that much but it's certainly better than 90% of it's contemporaries.

Favorite Track
Painted Skies

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 am

also, glad you liked the album Pinhead. I loved your review, and I'm jealous that you get to spend time in Kate Bush's womb. Fiona Apple isn't as warm and comfy

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:52 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
For jbissell:

Burgers - Hot Tuna

Terrible band name, awesome music.

Agreed on the band name, sadly can't quite agree on the music. I certainly won't say that it's a bad album, it's just not quite the album for me. The vocals just never clicked with me and while the playing is solid, it tended towards a style that I have a hard time getting in to. Ode for Billy Dean was the only song that grabbed me after several listens, a little bluesy/heavier than any other track. The instrumentals were pleasant, most noticeably Water Song, though not engaging enough to merit repeat listens. Sorry I didn't get into it more.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]