It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1377 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Horrierino 
Post Horrierino

Blame Jedi for the dismal title. A thread for anyone to dump reactions to or ask for
recommendations for horror films throughout the month, as many of us are wont to do.

(THE PATRICK WILSON INDICATES HOTNESS)

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 pm
Post Re: Horrierino

My heart. You've stolen it.

I watched Isle of the Dead tonight. Surprised how much the final ten minutes scared me. Val Lewton was a badass.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:35 pm

What's the best horror film I haven't seen?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:37 pm
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
What's the best horror film I haven't seen?

Body Melt?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Nakamura's The Ghost of Yotsuya
The Unknown

idk

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:45 pm

The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:45 pm

I always wondered what the red was supposed to indicate.

I always knew what the Patrick Wilson was supposed to indicate.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

I love Patrick Wilson.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile WWW

Not a huge fan of the genre, but Trouble Every Day is top tier.

To the extent horror movies are to be scary and/or funny, they don't move me. To the extent that they're supposed to be disturbing and probe the darkest corners of human nature, I'm all in. Any recommendations down this lane is much appreciated.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Also Twentynine Palms is a favorite.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:20 pm

And Begotten.

По́мните Катю...

k bye

По́мните Катю...

I saw and liked Waxwork II, The Bay and The Prowler recently. Maybe they'd appeal to others. And if anyone hasn't seen Mute Witness, get on that shit.

I think I'll just rewatch horror favorites this month, unless someone can recommend something new

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Izzy Black wrote:
Not a huge fan of the genre, but Trouble Every Day is top tier.

You're goddamn right.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile WWW

My favorite Denis, and one of the best horrors ever made.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Outside of Beau travail which is immense I think I just don't get the Denis thing

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:34 pm

'Serious' cinephiles rejecting the horror genre is almost like a cliche now, really.

I'll watch some old favorites and do a bit of hunting online for some lost gems this year. If I see anything good I'll bring it up. The visceral intensity and wonderful energy of the genre's best filmmaking is something more directors should aspire to.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 pm

I recommend The Silent Scream (1979) every year. I think Blake and Rouge are the only other posters to partake. Barbara Steele fans will want to give it a go.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Das wrote:
'Serious' cinephiles rejecting the horror genre is almost like a cliche now, really.

I'm assuming this is directed at me? I don't know. Most cinephilies I know, especially the ones I respect and admire, are very fond of a vast number of horror films. I've got nothing a priori against them. I just don't find horror movies scary. If they are supposed to be scary (and I'm not saying all of them are - the ones I like, for instance, aren't necessarily), then I can't get into it.

I am obviously most impressed by horror films that command a strong visual aesthetic. In addition, I like those that have meaty subject-matter. This isn't some blind prejudice against horror movies, though. I hold every genre of cinema to this same standard of quality.

Anyways, maybe you weren't directing this at me, but I didn't see anyone in here dismissing the genre really besides me, nor am I aware that it's a terribly common thing among cinephilies.

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:01 pm

snapper wrote:
Outside of Beau travail which is immense I think I just don't get the Denis thing

Which have you seen?

По́мните Катю...

Derninan wrote:
My favorite Denis, and one of the best horrors ever made.

:fresh:

По́мните Катю...

Izzy Black wrote:
I'm assuming this is directed at me? I don't know. Most cinephilies I know, especially the ones I respect and admire, are very fond of a vast number of horror films. I've got nothing a priori against them. I just don't find horror movies scary. If they are supposed to be scary (and I'm not saying all of them are - the ones I like, for instance, aren't necessarily), then I can't get into it.

I am obviously most impressed by horror films that command a strong visual aesthetic. In addition, I like those that have meaty subject-matter. This isn't some blind prejudice against horror movies, though. I hold every genre of cinema to this same standard of quality.

Anyways, maybe you weren't directing this at me, but I didn't see anyone in here dismissing the genre really besides me, nor am I aware that it's a terribly common thing among cinephilies.

Same for me. I have nothing against horror films in principle, they just don't tend to do much for me beyond a decent viewing experience. I certainly don't find them scary, but that's OK. If they unsettle me a bit, or conjure a great atmosphere, then I'm on board. Argento works for me mostly because of his stylistic flair. His movies aren't scary at all, but they're often beautiful.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 pm

The greatness of Denis' film (and Dumont's and Merhige), is that they create a totally absorbing, almost mesmerizing atmosphere. With this, they offer truly unsettling and disturbing images that pose difficult questions or problems about human nature. That's true horror for me - to be pulled into a twisted underworld to face the dark horrors of human existence. Most mainstream horror movies aren't in this mold. They build on decades old traditions (the 70s) of satire, kitsch, formula, and manipulative vies for "scares" that are rarely, if ever, successful for me. I can't get behind this brand of horror, but I'm not saying that's what most are about. New French Extreme cinema did great things for the horror genre and produced some of my favorite films. If there are more films of this variety out there, then great, I just don't know about them. That's why I like the idea of this thread. I could use some recommendations!

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Izzy Black wrote:
New French Extreme cinema did great things for the horror genre and produced some of my favorite films.

Really? I'm hesitant to watch them because they look so nasty. I'm referring to the trashier ones that came after the Denis and Dumont.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Izzy Black wrote:
The greatness of Denis' film (and Dumont's and Merhige), is that they create a totally absorbing, almost mesmerizing atmosphere. With this, they offer truly unsettling and disturbing images that pose difficult questions or problems about human nature. That's true horror for me - to be pulled into a twisted underworld to face the dark horrors of human existence. Most mainstream horror movies aren't in this mold. They build on decades old traditions (the 70s) of satire, kitsch, formula, and manipulative vies for "scares" that are rarely, if ever, successful for me. I can't get behind this brand of horror, but I'm not saying that's what most are about.

I agree about the Dumont, and partially about the Merhige. Haven't seen the Denis. But yeah, I'm with you. More horror like this plz.

| letterboxd

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Izzy Black wrote:
Which have you seen?

Trouble Every Day and Vendredi soir it seems, I thought I'd seen more.

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Trip wrote:
Really? I'm hesitant to watch them because they look so nasty. I'm referring to the trashier ones that came after the Denis and Dumont.

I am referring to a pretty brief period between around 1998-2005 that includes the Denis, Dumont, Noe, and Grandrieux. Some critics like to be more permissive with the label, whereas I consider it a terminal movement that has already ended. It's really impressive if we expand it to include demonlover, which I'm inclined to do. Given that roster, that's a really impressive output. I'd only hope horror on a global scale would be influenced by these films. They're truly challenging examples of the genre.

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:20 pm

B-Side wrote:
I agree about the Dumont, and partially about the Merhige. Haven't seen the Denis. But yeah, I'm with you. More horror like this plz.

What's your thoughts on the Merhige?

По́мните Катю...

Thoughts on Calvaire, Izzy (or anyone else who's seen it)? That's one of my favorites from that era.

snapper wrote:

Trouble Every Day and Vendredi soir it seems, I thought I'd seen more.

Well, that explains it. You need to see more Denis. :D

What did you think of Friday Night?

For me personally, she's the best in the world right now and one of the greatest of all time. I'd recommend Beau Travail, The Intruder, and 35 Shots of Rum. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Izzy Black wrote:
I am referring to a pretty brief period between around 1998-2005 that includes the Denis, Dumont, Noe, and Grandrieux. Some critics like to be more permissive with the label, whereas I consider it a terminal movement that has already ended. It's really impressive if we expand it to include demonlover, which I'm inclined to do. Given that roster, that's a really impressive output. I'd only hope horror on a global scale would be influenced by these films. They're truly challenging examples of the genre.

Oh phew.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Derninan wrote:
Thoughts on Calvaire, Izzy (or anyone else who's seen it)? That's one of my favorites from that era.

Calvaire worked, if not quite as well as the others.

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Beau travail is already a favourite of mine, it earns its stripes with that ending. Trouble Every Day I thought was decent although it seemed underdeveloped to me, to be honest I thought Vendredi soir was really tedious and annoying.

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 pm

Izzy Black wrote:
What's your thoughts on the Merhige?

Brilliant conceptually, and very effective visually, but my interest waned frequently throughout. A rewatch is in order.

| letterboxd

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 pm

snapper wrote:
Beau travail is already a favourite of mine, it earns its stripes with that ending. Trouble Every Day I thought was decent although it seemed underdeveloped to me, to be honest I thought Vendredi soir was really tedious and annoying.

I see. I could easily see those two films in particular not working for someone.

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:33 pm

B-Side wrote:

Brilliant conceptually, and very effective visually, but my interest waned frequently throughout. A rewatch is in order.

kewl

По́мните Катю...

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 pm
Post #1

House of Wax (in 3D!)

Stodgy and bloodless (quite literally), like so much of horror around this time (most of them starring Vincent Price, who I love anyway). It's more coherent than Collet-Serra's remake, but I'll take the later director's sporadic formal acuity (see the sharp opening sequence) any fucking day. 3D effects are for the most part absent, with a gimmicky inclusion of a guy flinging a ping pong at the audience. Director De Toth had one functioning eye when he made this, a great bit of trivia. But a shit movie.

2/10

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:24 pm

I like De Toth's Dirty Dozen rip-off Play Dirty a lot, almost as much as the film it ripped off, but haven't seen anything else by him.

I realized I have over 40 films that I'd like to get to this month, but I expect at best to see maybe half of them.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:30 pm

I actually had fun with that one. But it's cheesy, yeah.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:31 pm

We've already started watching a whole bunch of these this month, going into the usual marathons in October. Not even sure I can recall them all thus far.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch last night was a lot of fun.

Stage Fright was some Italian thing I think with a guy in an owl mask killing a theater troupe. Lot of fun.

Haunting in Connecticut is bullshit. Turned that shit off.

Turned off some Bava movie that wasn't doing it for me same.

Some other Giallo entirely focused on destroying people's eyeballs in gruesome ways was kind of fun.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 snooooze

Tobe Hooper's Invaders From Mars really dumb kinda fun kinda not really

I dunno. There have been a bunch of others too, but I'll leave that to ribbon. Insidious 2 was also this month and masterpiece so

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:44 pm

I too turned off The Haunting in Connecticut. Though its director's earlier claymation short, Ward 13, is fun. Hopefully his Mercy bears that same comprehension of action.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 pm

Fist wrote:
Some other Giallo entirely focused on destroying people's eyeballs in gruesome ways was kind of fun.

Sounds like a Fulci.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 pm
Post my Horrierino

I've been watching a lot more horror lately (list here), so I'm excited to participate this year. Things I plan to watch this month (the red indicates bl... what I've seen):

Cure (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1997)
Inland Empire (David Lynch, 2006)
Calvaire (Fabrice Du Welz, 2004)
Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland, 2012)
Hour of the Wolf (Ingmar Bergman, 1968)
May (Lucky McKee, 2001)
Eyes Without a Face (Georges Franju, 1960)
Re-Animator (Stuart Gordon, 1985) (pictured above)
The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy, 1973)
Il Demonio (Brunello Rondi, 1963)
Flesh for Frankenstein (Paul Morrissey, Antonio Margheriti, 1973)
The Woods (Lucky McKee, 2006)
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (Rodrigo Gudiño, 2012)

Wrap-up with ranking here.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:52 pm

I want to know what Izzy would make of Amer.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Rock wrote:

Sounds like a Fulci.

Ahh, yeah it was.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Eyes Without a Face (Georges Franju, 1960)
Re-Animator (Stuart Gordon, 1985)

:up:

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 pm

just gonna rewatch halloween II over and over

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:01 am

roujin wrote:
just gonna rewatch halloween II over and over

The Zombie? I like that one.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:13 am

I watched Rec the other day. But it wasn't October yet.

I rate it "I guess."

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:26 am

Rock wrote:

The Zombie? I like that one.

Yeah, the Zombie.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 1377 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next