It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Horrierino 
Post Re: Horrierino

Can I get a few recs for some horror films that are not horror-y? Sort of in the vein of Trick or' Treat. I like to watch horror around this time of year but not a big fan of gore/overly distressing imagery

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:03 am

The Last Baron wrote:
I thought the explanation was really interesting, but I definitely see how it takes away from the film a bit.
Oh, yeah I did too. I only meant the attempt at a "cure" at the very end. It seemed both too unlikely and too easy. But, yeah, the acting was great.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:06 am

traz wrote:
Can I get a few recs for some horror films that are not horror-y?
Have you seen Housebound or Screamplay?

Oh, and The Tenant!

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:12 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Have you seen Housebound or Screamplay?

Oh, and The Tenant!

Love The Tenant! I'll check out the other two, thanks!

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:24 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Oh, yeah I did too. I only meant the attempt at a "cure" at the very end. It seemed both too unlikely and too easy. But, yeah, the acting was great.

Ah. Will agree with you there.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:26 am
Profile WWW

12 to the Moon (1960)

Thought "intriguingly strange events" might portend some horror mixed with the sci-fi. Actually, what I learned above all is that the IMDb rating is way, way too high.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:00 am

Man that intro to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That's about as far as I got before the DVD threw a fit over a scratch.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:58 pm
Profile WWW

Crimson Peak 6/10

Very wanting story-wise/emotionally. Very pleasing design-wise. So yeah, a del Toro.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Trip wrote:
Crimson Peak 6/10

Very wanting story-wise/emotionally. Very pleasing design-wise. So yeah, a del Toro.

what'd u think of pans labyrinth

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Needs a rewatch but it hits harder than this. Still questionable.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:09 pm

The Last Baron wrote:
Man that intro to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That's about as far as I got before the DVD threw a fit over a scratch.

The Hooper version or the remake?

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Gort wrote:
The Hooper version or the remake?

Hooper's, no interest in the remake

Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:37 am
Profile WWW

I can't believe it's taken me so long to see Eraserhead. Such an amazing experience – part Charlie Chaplin, part Visitor of a Museum, part crazy things you hope to never see again! Who knew that anxiety could be so fascinating and funny, and, strangest of all, so beautiful? David Lynch is a genius; what else is there to say? See it, if you have not!

Image Image

Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:38 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I can't believe it's taken me so long to see Eraserhead.

:heart:

Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:41 am

Lair of the White Worm (1988) - that Ken Russel. He sure loves him some strap-ons and nun rape.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:41 am

That was a fun one with friends, watching them squirm over barely there armpit hair

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:43 am
Profile WWW

I can't really deal with Lynch mentally but, for some reason, Eraserhead did not frighten me in the least

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:09 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
part Visitor of a Museum

best genre

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:10 pm
Profile WWW

I've been searching everywhere to find The Horn Blows at Midnight. I want to start watching more Jack Benny movies.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Joss Whedon wrote:
I've been searching everywhere to find The Horn Blows at Midnight. I want to start watching more Jack Benny movies.

It's really fun. :up:

not exactly horror though

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Creep (2014) is actually quite good.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:21 pm

Two for one, today!

The Killer Must Kill Again is a giallo with a twist. We see the murder (and who does it). The tension is in the things that go wrong, and the desperate efforts of the perpetrator to cover his tracks. It's a good looking thriller, and decently suspenseful. Some great faces to watch, too, while the killer stalks, and rapes, and (yes) kills again!

Image Image

My second one isn't really horror, though IMDb says it is, but I guess the patient-eye-view is supposed to be disturbing. A Page of Madness is a melodramatic tale set inside an insane asylum. Without intertitles (and a good chunk of the film) it's not always completely clear what's going on, but the gorgeous, surreal images carry you along, and the claustrophobia and chaos just jump off the screen. More pictures here.

Image Image

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:48 am

Just back from Crimson Peak and I quite enjoyed it. Your basic gothic ghost story beautifully filmed with rich colors (I'd almost forgotten what it was like to go to the theater and see actual color on the screen, that was nice) Story was good, very similar themes and symbols carry over from Devil's Backbone. Hiddleston is his usual charismatic self. Definitely worth seeing over the usual Sinister/Insidious/Paranormal Activity shit that crowds the cinemas this time of year.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:00 am

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote:
Just back from Crimson Peak and I quite enjoyed it. Your basic gothic ghost story beautifully filmed with rich colors (I'd almost forgotten what it was like to go to the theater and see actual color on the screen, that was nice) Story was good, very similar themes and symbols carry over from Devil's Backbone. Hiddleston is his usual charismatic self. Definitely worth seeing over the usual Sinister/Insidious/Paranormal Activity shit that crowds the cinemas this time of year.

Your words have made me want to see it. I'm tired of horror films that rely on cheap gimmicks.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Crimson Peak is well paced, and gorgeous, I wanted way more ghost moments though. as the effects and design work on those was so very good.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Das wrote:
Crimson Peak is well paced, and gorgeous, I wanted way more ghost moments though. as the effects and design work on those was so very good.

Y'know, I almost feel that the dramatic moments in the film are actually stronger/more suspenseful than the moments that were meant to be spooky. All of it was a feast for the eyes.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:00 am

You all have convinced me I have to see Crimson Peak! But, in the meantime...

Image Image

Santa Sangre is amazing! I thought of Almodóvar several times, and I'm guessing now that Jodorowsky has been an influence on Sono, since this mixes romance and horror, melodrama, and madness in a way that's very similar to Strange Circus and Love Exposure. But, beyond that, it's just a great, great film. Casting brothers as Fenix at different ages was a sweet surprise, and the colors, and the camp, and the haunting images are all perfect. But the best thing is the tenderness with which the reveals are accomplished at the end, the satisfying way all the pieces click into place. This is what mournful nostalgia is all about!

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:51 am

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote:
Y'know, I almost feel that the dramatic moments in the film are actually stronger/more suspenseful than the moments that were meant to be spooky. All of it was a feast for the eyes.

For the most part I agree, but the use of practical effects and the designs themselves were really vivid and gorgeous, I thought.

Also, it's fun how the entire main set of the film is basically an extended Three Mothers series tribute.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:28 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Santa Sangre is amazing!

It's possible that I've seen all the Jodorowsky films at this point. And I own most of them on Blu. This one is imaginative and well-executed. The story is a bit more clever than some of his earlier films. There is more of that aspect that they call "heart" in Hollywood, as well.

And I've seen Jodorowsky's influence (or, like you, I think I have) in the work of several of the directors of the bizarre. Jupiter Ascending is nowhere nearly as good as any Jodorowsky film, but the influence seems to be there. And Mad Max: Fury Road has all kinds of "Jodorowsky moments."

The Future Unreels

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:32 am

Gort wrote:
There is more of that aspect that they call "heart" in Hollywood, as well.
Yeah, it has a lot of emotional depth!

After Santa Sangre, I'm afraid I peaked early. But I still have six more to watch, plus I'm always open to suggestions. Does anyone want to pick my next horror film? Here's what's left of my list:

See You in Hell, My Darling (Nikos Nikolaidis, 1999)
    Beauty and the Beast (Juraj Herz, 1978)
    Calvaire (Fabrice Du Welz, 2004)
    Ganja & Hess (Bill Gunn, 1973)
    The Blind Woman's Curse (Teruo Ishii, 1970)
    Seven Blood Stained Orchids (Antonio Sabato, 1972)

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:45 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Does anyone want to pick my next horror film? Here's what's left of my list:

Ganja & Hess (Bill Gunn, 1973)

That's the one I've been championing all month.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:07 am

Starting it now.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:14 am

Crimson Peak:

I actually felt like the ghost elements could have been completely excised, felt pretty superfluous. That's valuable time that could have been spent on Chastain seething.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:12 pm

Ganja & Hess is delicious! This is dense, evocative stuff that I won't attempt to decode, at least not until I've seen it again. Stylistically, it reminds me of The Hunger, but its roots in culture and myth make this one quite a bit stronger. Also, where Scott's arty vampire's are cold, Gunn's are all fierce emotion. Told through piercing character revelations, disturbing dreams, and fantastic sound, the title characters are folded (crushed) into a colorful collage of love and anguish and longing for redemption. Great movie!

Image Image

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:25 am

Panna a netvor is a fairy tale brought beautifully to life by the director of The Cremator, of all people. Most of the satisfaction here comes from the just-rightness of everything: Zdena Studenková makes a sweet story-book heroine, the house is a perfect spooky ruin, the selfish half-sisters are made to order. When Julie dances with the statues, I expected Disney music, haha. The most interesting design is the monster, a hideous bird-like creature out of On the Silver Globe. Rather than a cruel and inexplicable Chern, though, this monster is neurotic and easily led (by a never-explained whispering tormentor). I wouldn't call this horror, though there's a definite sense of menace in the monster's house, and an early scene of raping and pillaging makes it oddly unsuited for kids.

Image Image
Image Image

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:34 am

Two amazing films! I should join in on this thread because I'm trying to do all horror this month too.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:45 pm

jade_vine wrote:
I'm trying to do all horror this month too.
Ha, you've already seen more than I'll see this month! I bookmarked a couple from your thread. I'll see if I can get them.

Also, everyone should see a Macbeth in October! That's close enough to horror, surely?

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Ha, you've already seen more than I'll see this month! I bookmarked a couple from your thread. I'll see if I can get them.

Also, everyone should see a Macbeth in October! That's close enough to horror, surely?

Walkin' woods. Defs horror in my book. Also, damned spots. Truly horrific. The bard's most gruesome play. (Titus Andronicus excepted)

The Future Unreels

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:13 am

Thoughts on the The Haunting (1963)? Camera moves and sets were fun, but it's not very scary.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:14 am

Also, is Housebound gross/disgusting? We're not big fans of that in the Evil household.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:29 am

naw

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:49 pm

The Haunting isn't scary but I still like it a lot. Housebound is hilarious and entertaining.

A Girl Walks Home At Night is hypnotic. Almost Human sucks. Twixt and Dead Silence are both decent films that had multiple factors holding them back. The Final Terror is great btw.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:06 pm

Trip wrote:
You might like Castle of Blood more than Black Sunday, actually. Steele's there, too. You love her!
She's ridiculous. That eyebrow wiggle is excruciating, haha. Castle of Blood is silly fun. Least spooky thing ever, though.

Image Image

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:03 am

A curiosity about Eraserhead is how differently the audio is set up on the home video releases compared to the way it's played in cinemas, the sound is almost pummeling in a theater setting for that film, that plus the intense grain on the film prints that always seems oddly decreased makes it almost feel like a different film.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:22 pm

Mightily tempted by this next weekend. Only seen Tourist Trap before (at another all night horror event just last year, so could deliberately sleep through that). All 35mm, except for Christine which is 16mm.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:45 am
Profile WWW

Starry Eyes is good yet left me a bit cold.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:54 pm

There's a lot of parts of Salem's Lot you could catch a cat nap during.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Ah the unfairly maligned Halloween movie. I was fond of that one.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:44 am
Profile WWW

Cemetery Man is frenetic and gory and stupid and fun, but don't ask me a for plot summary. I mean, there was so much going on all the time and Rupert Everett would take his shirt off and drink a glass of wine and I'd get distracted. It's a beautiful movie, though, and such a strange, perfect mix of funny and wistful. Another way to say it: it's cynical in a way that calls to mind sweetness. Does that make any sense? And, even though I'm not at all sure what the ending meant, it was sad and strangely satisfying. Why haven't more directors taken advantage of Everett's massive talent for deadpan humor?! I think I love this movie. Will I see it again? Yes.

Image Image
Image Image

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:17 am

My new film friend wants to see Carrie at a vintage cinema, which will be cool

Carrie really frightens me though. She's so broken and vulnerable and brainwashed... then she uses her period to get revenge. Every girl's nightmare

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 1377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next