Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:01 pm
Post Re: TAS does a movie competition thread

Izzy Black wrote:
This is one of my favorite threads

says the leader :shifty:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:23 pm

:oops:

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

TAS... TRAZ...

it's not a coincidence

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Detention
Joseph Kahn

eternity

10/10

Part of me can't wait to see the reaction to this score. But it's what I'm putting down in my movie spreadsheet of doom, so deal with it.

This film kind of gets a bit too crazy, even for itself. Combining time travel with horror is one of the stupidest, most brilliant things I've seen in a film.

It's one of the most hectic movies I can remember; it doesn't even bother letting you breathe for a moment. It just pumps out jokes or insults or plotlines every second, forcing the pace that supports its ridiculousness. It's a smart decision, because you can't stop and think how absurd this damn film is. It's really perfect pacing, and the perfect example of a film knowing what it is and not compromising to anyone else's standard of good filmmaking.

I'm impressed enough at how the film closed and tied everything together into a single ball of plot. It's good, because all those random ticks throughout this movie ends up having a purpose. Halfway through this movie, I was expecting to criticize it for all its loose ends and lack of focus.

All of the roles, the stereotypes of the teenagers, they manage to veer juuuust enough to avoid being repetitive. The characters have your typical labels (loner, cheerleader, hipster, etc) and play to those characteristics, but they really maintain their individualism throughout. They aren't caricatures. They feel like real characters, if that makes any sense.

It's a very fine line between a 10 and a 5 here. A film like this, with just a couple of holes, losing focus just a little bit, would suffer greatly. It easily could've gotten lost up its own asshole. But in a movie with several deviant storylines, it actually managed to weave everything together, non-linearly, in a very sensible way. I can't find a flaw with its execution. This was a figure skating routine with the highest degree of difficulty and it landed every jump. Every one.

And most importantly: it made me not hate Dane Cook for 2 hours. I'm not sure how they managed it, frankly.

1) eternity 53.5
2) rhythm 51.5
3) traz 50
4) Kovich 49.5
5) Rouge 48
6) trip 47.5
7) dreiser 47.5
8) LEAVES 47
9) Eminence Grise 46.5
10) snapper 46.5
11) cloak 46
12) Mysterons 43

next: Izzy (45.5) - 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Tiebreaker needs to be decided beforehand. 1st tiebreaker: best individual score. Ran (Izzy) and Detention (eternity) got 10s. Going to second tiebreak. eternity has one film at 9.5; Izzy has 2 (Before Sunrise/Before Sunset). Tiebreaker to Izzy.

Izzy will need 8/10 to win the championship. Otherwise eternity will have beat you all, and everyone's head will explode.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:52 pm

now I have to see this

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 pm

I took a big bet on Detention. It's one of my favorite films of the last few years; everyone I've made watch it either likes it as much as I do or thinks it is absolute garbage. I'm glad this pattern still holds.

Oh yeah, this is Eternity by the way.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:57 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I support you, TAS.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:28 am

It's Championship Night

We're well underway with the final movie of the competition

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:18 pm

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:39 pm

2001: A Space Odyssey
Stanley Kubrick

Izzy

Science fiction is a genre that one has to be careful reviewing. One must consider when it was made, as it can influence the material. It's evident here, when so much of the material feels....primitive. Primitive and sci-fi: it's not a comfortable match.

But it jams together reasonably well. The film makes it difficult on itself with its deliberately slow pacing and lack of information. It's a very minimalist approach, and it feels like it's manipulating the proceedings for the viewer. The strange thing though, is that even though I feel like I'm being manipulated, I can't tell in what direction. This is masterful crafting by Kubrick.

Still, the film does drag along and it's boring - by 2014 standards. By 1968 standards? Maybe not as much. The film feels dated from a technical perspective.

But then again, on the other hand, the film is designed to be analyzed from a very anti-sci-fi point of view, even though it is in name a sci-fi movie.

One thing that struck me: the calm throughout the movie. Even when HAL was going bonkers, everything about the way the astronauts moved around, to the computer, to the surroundings, calm. I'm not sure what to make of it. It makes for a surreal watching experience.

In the end, I can only score it like I have the other films: based on personal enjoyment and my own criteria of what makes a film great to me. This leads to...

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:49 pm

2001: A Space Odyssey

Izzy

7/10

FINAL STANDINGS

1) eternity 53.5
2) Izzy 52.5
3) rhythm 51.5
4) traz 50
5) Kovich 49.5
6) Rouge 48
7) trip 47.5
8) dreiser 47.5
9) LEAVES 47
10) Eminence Grise 46.5
11) snapper 46.5
12) cloak 46
13) Mysterons 43

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:51 pm

The winning roster:
Detention 10
12 Angry Men 9.5
The Graduate 9
Blowup 9
Band of Outsiders 9
Magic Magic 7

One film (Detention) that blew my mind, one classic film that holds up great against time (12 Angry Men), and three great entertaining films, with only one semi-clunker.

Apologies to Izzy, with two semi-clunkers (2001: AS and L'avventura), which is kind of a shame given how amazing the Before trilogy is. Even though those were 9.5s and Ran was a 10, I still consider that trilogy more essential to my movie library.

rhythm finishes 3rd with a good mix of older movies. traz is 4th with the most thought-provoking movies. Further down the list, Kovich made me respect Jodie Foster as an actress and LEAVES at least made me love the Three Colors trilogy before bombing out of contention.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:56 pm

A thoughtful and honest review TAS. Overall excellent thread. :fresh:

По́мните Катю...

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Really Fun thread. Thought Izzy was gonna win for sure after the Before films. Now I have to see Detention.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:21 pm

I think we should eat XeternityX

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:12 am

I read a lengthy article about Detention in Cinemascope a few years ago and they totally forgot about it. Thank you, thread.

yay I'm 4th

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:57 am

I'm not sure what you mean by 2001's technicalities, regardless i'd have to strongly disagree with any technical aspects being dated. I like your observations about anti-sci-fi analysis and the tone of HAL's degeneration though, or should i say procedure. He has the dread of a faceless slasher and yet he is neither, arguably not even an antagonist. We see close-ups of his soulless red light and he always explains himself. Everything is totally transparent yet full of mystery and horror. As the audience we make the same mistake as the astronauts of finding humanism in HAL, such as empathy. Or, expecting something other than source code hardwired to mission objectives, which it alone is.

The movie is slow, deliberate even for Kubrick, but all with purpose. Space scenes that drag on with stations and ships and triumphant classical music is basically Kubrick laughing his ass off at the modern condition, chastising technological obsession about as vaguely as you possibly can. He actually presents the evolution of early man to bone-weilding weaponry in a very similar way, but in complete contrast, that is entirely un-ironic.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:48 pm

I know I'm bumping this like five days after the fact, but did we expect anything different? :P

Oh yeah, this is Eternity by the way.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:36 pm

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:40 pm

awesome thread tas

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:05 am

cloak wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by 2001's technicalities, regardless i'd have to strongly disagree with any technical aspects being dated. I like your observations about anti-sci-fi analysis and the tone of HAL's degeneration though, or should i say procedure. He has the dread of a faceless slasher and yet he is neither, arguably not even an antagonist. We see close-ups of his soulless red light and he always explains himself. Everything is totally transparent yet full of mystery and horror. As the audience we make the same mistake as the astronauts of finding humanism in HAL, such as empathy. Or, expecting something other than source code hardwired to mission objectives, which it alone is.

The movie is slow, deliberate even for Kubrick, but all with purpose. Space scenes that drag on with stations and ships and triumphant classical music is basically Kubrick laughing his ass off at the modern condition, chastising technological obsession about as vaguely as you possibly can. He actually presents the evolution of early man to bone-weilding weaponry in a very similar way, but in complete contrast, that is entirely un-ironic.

That's probably fair. I think I was trying to take a more literal approach to the technical aspects of the film.

eternity wrote:
I know I'm bumping this like five days after the fact, but did we expect anything different? :P

Rigged obv

next week: Big Board. Get excite

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:14 am
Post Re: TAS's general catch-all movie thread

I'm hijacking my own thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm slowly working on my own top 50 or top 100 movie list, and I'm going to post it in this thread with reviews. It's going to be much more of a favorite 50 instead of best 50, and the films chosen will be unorthodox mostly. You know what the drill is with me.

With my posting slowing to a crawl, there's no telling how much time I really have left around these parts, so I'd like to get my thoughts documented in a way, as some kind of a final chapter of my cinema knowledge. This was originally going to be posted, like, everywhere, for my 10-year RT anniversary, but then RT went to hell and every other offshoot site went to hell. But still, it'd be nice to get this all down on posts before it's too late, you know?

And this beats a 12th annual Big Board, at least.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:13 pm

Yay!

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:20 am

can i see your peen before you leave

Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:20 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
more of a favorite 50 instead of best 50, and the films chosen will be unorthodox

best method

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:50 am

I never forgot about this, although it seemed like. God forbid, I'm around long enough to finish this. But I need to start the damn thing at some point. Don't want to catch myself never starting. Work towards the finish.

The Favorite Fifty list begins. These are not ordered.

Lost in Translation

In looking back at what I've seen, maybe the best individual acting performance I've seen from Bill Murray. It's frankly remarkable how a film like this can be as good as it is, with a plot that feels more skeletal than anything. If you look at everything in this movie, on paper, there's nothing here. It relies completely on the actors and the cinematography to make this feel like anything other than a disaster, and it not only avoids being trivial but ascends to something greater.

Sofia Coppola put her two characters in a completely foreign situation, literally and figuratively. Bob and Charlotte are both quite lost in their own world, the cultural change of scene just heightens that sense (that's maybe why this film works so well. This same plot set somewhere in the United States, and the imagery and subtlety of everything becomes too subtle to notice). When I see these two main characters run around, I see something that probably befalls everyone at one point or another in their life - doing something, anything, because doing nothing and remaining idle hurts too much to continue. This is where the powerhouse acting performances come in. In order to make this work, you need actors who don't just convey the right amounts of sadness and joy at the right time, you have to believe those are genuine emotions. You completely forget as you watch this film that these are two actors, not two people in real life. You can imagine yourself in their shoes. You don't feel like you're watching a movie anymore; you feel like you're watching a documentary or something.

On paper, this movie should absolutely not work. In the hands of most directors or writers, the stakes are raised. Maybe some relationship drama, something or anything that presents an upfront danger. However, they let all the potential drama (mostly) simmer on the back burner. They leave that drama for the characters to deal with after the film. Bob and Charlotte get the reprieve they want, before they go back to their lives. And the viewer gets their reprieve, enjoying watching two people have fun before they go back to their lives walking out of the movie theater.

Let's discuss Bill Murray briefly while we're here. He strikes me as very thoughtful, more thoughtful than most actors. He was a master at adding depth to his character in this film. He's more enjoyable in this than in most of his films where he's playing a more upfront comedic role. He does better than make us laugh; he makes us care.

A pretty improbable film.

Oh, and WHO CARES WHAT WAS WHISPERED AT THE END.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:04 pm

TAS!

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:46 am

So there’s no great place to post this, so I’ll just stick this post in this thread so it doesn’t get drowned away. Also this is very much just a stream of thoughts kind of post, just some stuff I feel like putting in print. And probably more discussion about me than in the past 10 years combined.

So it’s no secret I don’t share personal info on the various forums I post on. I’ve always omitted my feelings, at least much more so than the typical poster I ran into in the various social threads I was around over the years. I always erred on the side of anarchy – better to have fun and be in drama instead of serious. I liked the idea of being a faux entertainer of sorts, posting for the fun and games (good god, how else would you explain the Big Board?). It would follow then, as this movie forum community splintered from RT, that I would gradually fade. There’s room at a big forum like RT for my antics but not really at the offshoots. My tone wouldn’t fit in a place like here, which is fine. There’s nothing wrong, it just doesn’t fit. It would also follow that when the offshoot forums did happen, I wound up as one of the stragglers, one of the later ones to here or Icine or elsewhere. And I would always be on the outside of any secret forum (which hurt more than I let on, which is explained below).

I like to self-analyze a lot. I end up living my online life the way I live real life, and it’s come clear to me the same patterns are happening to me both in real life and online life. I’ve joked about Token Friend Syndrome (TFS!) in the past, but that feels like a pattern that’s emerging everywhere for me. I make friends, do typical friend things, but then they all eventually fade away. It may take months or years, but they all eventually fade away, leaving me there alone, waiting to float on to my next series of friends. Of course, there’s some overlapping groups in here, and different interests I pick up to fill in the gaps. I never get too close to anyone, meaning I never eventually am able to form any bond with anyone that is required to keep friends around. It’s something also obviously applicable to dating, as I haven’t gotten any long-term one in a while now.

Compare to my “online life”. Pecan Pie was around, then astorgate happened and Icine happened and that one group of online friends drifted. Then new Icine friends happened, but they eventually drifted too. I had a LNC phase, a YMCA phase, a IYPC phase, a couple other RT phases. That led to different online friends, but they all eventually splintered to here and Bronze and elsewhere. They all eventually drifted away from me, and I slowly drifted away from here and then the Bronze (although that was more abrupt). I had many posters on each site I talked a lot with, but not for a significant length of time or about anything significant about it. Think about it – I’m sure if you’re reading this, you agree (or you’re Madman, who’s talked to me for like forever because he’s always around somehow). I talked to plenty of you, but did our conversations eventually drift away? Probably.

So this effect of floating in and out of online communities…this is how my real life works. I feel like there’s some kind of social anxiety or mental block that’s keeping me from progress here. I know I need to open up to keep building relationships, both in real life and online, but I find myself mentally incapable of doing it. I keep thinking in social settings about what to say, how to bond with people, how to cross that bridge, and I freeze. I self-analyze instinctively, I find myself paralyzed by fear or panic or I don’t know what. I have a feeling someone could diagnose me with something that would count as a disorder, but I’m getting too old for that racket. I’ve now noticed these mental blocks which I was oblivious to at 22 or 23. Or even 18 or 19.

I guess I say all this because I’m tired of floating around. I float from group to group, doing just enough to be everyone’s token friend but not doing enough to keep all those people from drifting away from me. One day I’d like to stop floating and land somewhere. Make friends and keep them. And focus on not floating away like a stray dog to somewhere else while I try and land. Does this metaphor make any sense? I hope so. But it’s at the point where I want to stop floating, or dammit all to hell, I’m going to crash the plane trying to land. I want to reach a destination, any destination at this point.

In the past I could usually fill these gaps with an activity (movies, video game designs, TV series, you get the idea). Usually I could mix and match them with my upswings in social activity to keep myself away from depression. Sure I had a couple downswings, but with a couple notable exceptions, I steered clear of the nuclear options. And usually those exceptions were tied to a specific event or three that I could walk away from. But early last year, I had one of those exceptions, with a nasty combination of a couple different situations, and things got ugly. I didn’t want that to be the endgame. I’ve spent much of the last year kind of figuring out everything that I’m writing about here, a lot of self-analysis, away from basically all forums. And part of my realization is that I could have avoided some of the strife by just being more open in all settings. So that gets back to my original point. I wonder how things would’ve changed for me if I was more like the rest of you, able to freely discuss my life openly, like the rest of you, without the fear and anxiety and everything else that goes with those conversations. I wonder how many of my old friends I actually would’ve kept. I also do wonder if I’m actually capable of doing these things. I still don’t know if I am. But at least I know now, so that I can take a proper course of action if I can’t.

So anyway, thanks for indulging me here. I kind of feel like these are thoughts I wanted recorded, whether or not anyone was asking for them. It feels like an explanation of a problem that no one was asking about. But I wanted the thoughts recorded, in some form, because if there’s anything I’ve learned, it’s that it’s okay to open up every now and then. It feels good to have these words existing, in some form, so that my story in a way is recorded. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to disclose greater detail, so it feels good just to have something out there.

This isn’t a goodbye by any means; you know I’m going to continue to mega-lurk. I don’t think I can ever be a full part of a community like this though. So someday, there’s going to be a last day when I lurk and never come back. I want to stop floating and land somewhere someday, and that day there’s going to be no returning to the past. So I’ll take the unusual step of thanking you all while I’m still semi-lurking around. Of course, most of the people to thank are long gone from the Internets at this point and will never read, but it feels like something I ought to vocalize, no? Thanks to the old Pecan Pie crew, co-founders TTL and DrunkenSuperman, and to all the other original members (especially Viv and astor for basically enabling TAS, Juss for being Juss, flea and Slash and Kev's Year and paranoid android and the old crew, and way too many others to list)…to XeternityX for basically being TAS Jr.,…to Icine for putting up with me and Nithy for somehow being a better version of TAS than TAS…to all the yahoo webcam crew who tolerated my ugly face for so long…to the IYPC which let me carve out a corner of that thread at a time when I really needed any corner of the world…to guys like Rkod, Spengo, Orph, Dayz, Rouge, Genie, coppyboy, Numb, and others who I know I’m forgetting who always engaged me over the years…to the YMCA crew (Evil, and yes, even Jules) for putting up with my inanity and letting my chaos intertwine with yours…to the Corriereinos and everyone (except LEAVES) who more or less put on a brave face while I tried to figure out what I wanted from cinema….to the Bronzers and strykes and everyone else there who let me in and let me try to be part of something that was never clearly a good fit…to Madman who somehow was at every single one of these places…and to, yes, even Smalley. Maybe. Why thanks? Because this online life, this helped fill in the gaps from real life, and those were important gaps, even though they felt like nothing at the time.

And that’s it from me. I want to still do the thread I’d promised I’d do in here; I just feel like I need some rewatches at this point to make my reviews more accurate. We’ll see if I ever get around to it. I’ve never abandoned the passion for cinema even though the posts have withered away.

Good Lord, there’s some tl’dr going on in this post.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:43 pm

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:54 pm

Aww, TAS...

:heart:

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Should've gave a shoutout to Qwizzy.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:06 am

Kayden Kross wrote:
Should've gave a shoutout to Qwizzy.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:05 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
I make friends, do typical friend things, but then they all eventually fade away. It may take months or years, but they all eventually fade away, leaving me there alone, waiting to float on to my next series of friends.

Take heart in one thing, TAS: this is how life works. It has for the 64 years I've been in it. And when I've talked with others, their life goes the same way.

That's why it is so astonishing to hear that people have been friends for 30 years or something like that.

My 5th grade teacher told us that if we lived to be 80 years old we'd be able to count our true friends from our entire lives on the fingers of one hand, and have fingers left over. I thought she was nuts, when I was 10, but now I know what she meant.

Still, you're onto something with the realization that I'm sure you've had (because you almost wrote about it) that self-revelation is one of the things that makes friendships last. People who have been through hell together have actually been through vulnerability together, I think. And that's why such episodes are friend-makers.

You're doing all right.

I wonder if the source of that crap aphorism "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" is in the fact that life changes over time, and the things that allowed friendships to flourish most often diminish (and with them the friendship). Especially with the advent of the mobile lifestyle that developed after WWII, so seems like it's always been that way to nearly everyone alive.

I'll have to admit that I was happy to see that you had posted in your thread. Didn't expect the kind of post it was. But it was a welcome one, nonetheless. :up:

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:39 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Of course, most of the people to thank are long gone from the Internets at this point and will never read, but it feels like something I ought to vocalize, no? Thanks to the old Pecan Pie crew, co-founders TTL and DrunkenSuperman

Just letting you know that it took four months, but I somehow found it, read it, and was touched. Thank you too, those were fun times. I hope you're doing well.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:38 pm

I wish I was here in time to say that "TAS, I am happy to know you"

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9