The Deadly Affair | Lumet, 1966 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Waiting for Happiness | Sissako, 2002 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A Whole Night | Akerman, 1982 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 9

ISOLATION | Cinemas of Solitude 
Post Re: ISOLATION | Cinemas of Solitude

Shieldmaiden wrote:
the rape cult movie.

A cult movie about rape or a movie about a rape cult?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 pm

jade_vine wrote:
FFfffuck that's one of those movies I need to see so much that I'm personally waiting until I'm in the right state of mind because I know it'll impress me so much.

Oh man, it seems like exactly your kind of thing.

That's not to say you're a rapist, just, you know...

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:11 pm
Profile WWW

that movie got me in trouble. one of the biggest fights i've ever had with my partner was through watching it and not turning it off for later after that first rape scene, because how many more could there be?

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
...a movie about a rape cult?
Yep.

eri nitta wrote:
because how many more could there be?
Hahaha. Think that exact thing went through my head. A few times.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 am

eri nitta wrote:
that movie got me in trouble. one of the biggest fights i've ever had with my partner was through watching it and not turning it off for later after that first rape scene, because how many more could there be?

Yes, I couldn't imagine watching this in the company of others. It's that kind of film.

Also, the nipples.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:03 pm
Profile WWW

Obligatory Italian film recommendations time; I recently uploaded these to KG, and they all fit perfectly here.

Fuori dal Giorno | Paolo Bologna, 1983

Obscure little eighties effort; similar to Amore Tossico, which has become popular again since its restoration and the director's death, though without the same kind of cult status. Created the English subs for this one from scratch, though the dialogue involves a lot of basic exchanges and repeated lines. Indeed, the entire premise of a small-time drug dealer who uses his earnings to fund the creation of an independent film opens up a lot of meta possibilities. Paranoia reigns, as the lines blur between the film and the film within it. There's a nice interview with the director that I also translated and uploaded where he talks about walking as the primary function, so to speak; how he picked the lead actor based on his rangy strides, and how Rome is very much a city that is best seen on foot. The fact that everything takes place in Rome and spans the course of a day recalls Neorealist roots; with emphasis on spacial structures that also echoes the work of Antonioni. There's American influence, too: urban alienation and solitude as seen in Taxi Driver, with a protagonist who passes unseen through the crowds like some kind of ghostly figure.

Image Image Image

Il Giardino delle Delizie | Silvano Agosti, 1967

There's a tiny (awful) arthouse cinema near me called the Azzurro Scipioni, partly named after the Piavoli film and partly named after the street upon which it sits. It was founded by Silvano Agosti, whose films remain criminally neglected in terms of exposure and distribution. In fact, if it weren't for the director's own label, most of his and Piavoli's films wouldn't be available at all. A lot of Agosti's films are crude and experimental; theoretical with documentary roots, but his most traditional picture is also perhaps his best. Il Giardino delle Delizie continues the grand theme (that Pitt-Jolie thing being the latest incarnation) of two characters sequestered within an isolated hotel. In this case, the couple is newly wed: she suffers from complications with her pregnancy, while he goes off and broods over this marriage of convenience. Maurice Ronet's presence as the male half of this couple instantly recalls Malle's Le Feu Follet, though this isn't quite up to that kind of standard. It also feels slightly incomplete, perhaps because the censors lopped off about 30 minutes.

Image Image Image

Cloro | Lamberto Sanfelice, 2015

As though to purify an ever-widening pool of filth, this is perhaps the best contemporary Italian film I've seen since Sig. Frammartino gave us his table-topping goats. It also represents one of the more accomplished efforts to truly reflect the fallout from this current European economical crisis, albeit without directly grappling its various implications. There are similarities here to both Alice Rohrwacher's Corpo Celeste and Ursula Meier's Sister, but the third-person shots in particular recall something more Dardennes-shaped: this desperate striving for some kind of resolution that only appears as the light at the end of the tunnel towards the film's closing scenes. This is another one with subs I translated, though again, the dialogue is at a bare minimum with around 300 lines uttered in total throughout the course of the film.

Image Image Image

Beket | Davide Manuli, 2008

Worth watching for those who have read Becket to any degree; particularly, Waiting for Godot, the purgatory-like landscape from which is reproduced quite well here. That said, there are also references to other Becket works, hence the title: Krapp's Last Tape in particular. Though, the main base of inspiration remains Godot, whom we rarely actually wait for in the film. There are scenes at a bus stop where the two main characters sit and wait for a flying double decker to present itself, but most of the film is spent searching for Godot and encountering number of "interesting" figures along the way. I'll always maintain that Becket is one of the more difficult writers to adapt, though many have tried: Van Sant's Gerry is one of the best, and precisely because it does the adapting indirectly. Manuli's film is obviously way more direct than that, though manages to reproduce the main themes of Becket's work fairly well: specifically this idea of repetition, as images appear and dialogue is uttered over and over again.

Image Image Image

Fuoco! | Gian Vittorio Baldi, 1968

The Cineteca di Bologna is responsible for a fantastic range of restored films, and many of these also come with English subtitles which is quite rare for any Italian distribution company. One of their best packages is the DVD set of Gian Vittorio Baldi's Fuoco!, which seems to be one of the missing links in Italian political film of the 1960s that was pushed along by the likes of Pasolini. It represents a tiny window in history that you can also see in films like Ferreri's Dillinger è Morto (also 1969); a window of high political tension, where just about anything can happen and there is a particular fetishised emphasis on weapons. That all said, it's frightening just how applicable Fuoco! still is today: the film follows an unemployed man as he locks himself up in his apartment, killing his mother-in-law and then spraying the statue of the Virgin Mary as it passes by outside as part of a procession. The film presents violence not in a stylish, fetishised way but in its most natural state: the product of generations of oppression, or an expulsion of energy after so many years of it being withheld.

Image Image Image

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:41 pm
Profile WWW

It's difficult to back up such a statement having never been there, but I like Thom Andersen's assertion that Jacques Demy's Model Shop offers the best evocation of Los Angeles light and life and look. Perhaps he's right, too: often it takes an outsider, an external gaze, to find ways of looking at something that weren't there before. While it should probably be coupled with a work like Antonioni's Zabriskie Point for its setting and its period - its exposing of countercultures at the hand of an étranger - the film is perhaps more similar to L'Eclisse or Blow Up, if you consider the use of spatial structures and this idle, almost anthropological exploration of the surrounding environment. Disenchanted George's relationship with his city is just as important as his relationship with the perennial Lola, reappearing here apparently nine years after her last Demy outing and considerably more world-weathered. The landscape of Model Shop is one of consumerism and alienation, accessed only through the impartial vessel that is the automobile, but like Demy and Antonioni, George's L.A. is one of discovery: "I was driving down Sunset, and I turned on one of those roads that lead up into the hills, and I stopped at this place that overlooks the whole city. It was fantastic. I suddenly felt exhilarated. I was really moved by the geometry of the place, its conception, its baroque harmony."

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:11 am
Profile WWW

ELLIS

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:42 am

As someone who did live in Los Angeles, I'll have to watch that movie.

Then again, everything Thom Andersen says about Los Angeles and movies set there is spot-on, so I'd take his word for it.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Eminence Grise wrote:

Link? I like the poster. Very Ceylan:

Image Image

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:18 am
Profile WWW

Beau wrote:
As someone who did live in Los Angeles, I'll have to watch that movie.

Then again, everything Thom Andersen says about Los Angeles and movies set there is spot-on, so I'd take his word for it.

Have you seen his latest, though?

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:19 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Link?

It deserves to be seen in the best quality, as anything does, but here's a decent copy:

For others who may be interested, it's on Netflix US.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:46 am

Jedi, I'm pretty sure Hazard belongs in this thread.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:10 am

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Jedi, I'm pretty sure Hazard belongs in this thread.

Grabbing!

Speaking of ISOLATION, I've been reading a lot of Ballard lately: someone adapt The Drowned World, please!

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55