It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #3 The Heart of the Wise 
Post Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #3 The Heart of the Wise

The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow
Srce je mudrih u kuci zalosti
2009, Marin Malesevic

After takeshi's successful jaunt with a film that came strongly recommended, I'm going to take us deep into the backwoods of uncertainty with something no one's seen – a low-budget Serbian film that made the (more obscure) festival rounds, without a single English-language review online. From what I can tell, it's a surreal satire about a philosophy student who takes a job as a gravedigger while suffering an existential crisis. I did find (on multiple sites) a badly translated note purporting to be from the director, part of which I've edited into coherence here, free of charge:

The film is a very free adaptation of two old testament stories (about Jonah and Jacob). I was interested to see how the biblical element would adapt to contemporary Serbian society. So, for me, it was an experiment, lyrical and epic at the same time, about some deep and maybe irrational emotions for which Serbia is fertile ground.

Not sure I'm really selling this one, haha. But, it caught my eye, and I can personally vouch for the offbeat humor of the first couple of minutes. Hopefully, these screencaps will help:

That second link is "featured/freeleech," by the way. But, if anyone still needs another way to get this, let me know and I'll try to find some way to help (though it's too large for my Dropbox account). We have plenty of time to watch The Heart of the Wise; discussion is Saturday, March 22.

Rules of the Corrie Class Trip:

▪ As host, pick a film you haven't seen and that you don't think many others on the forum have seen. (Check Trends if you're unsure.) It's a good idea to prioritise films from directors whose work you haven't seen before. Make sure it'll interest people!
▪ Announce it in a new thread (usually on a weekend) and accept sign-ups. People should have at least a week to see the film and post an in-depth reaction.
▪ After the discussion, randomly choose someone from the pool of responders to host the next Trip. The new host has up to a week to choose a film and start the next Corrie Class Trip thread.

Previous Trips, Edition 2.0:

#1 - The Worthless (Mika Kaurismäki) // snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (Quentin Lee and Justin Lin) // takeshi

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:24 am
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #3 The Heart of the Wise

Weird aspect ratio in the KG rip

I'll watch it

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:45 am

Nice. I'm innnnn it.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:53 am
Profile WWW

Watching the fuck out of this

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:53 am

in, but that KG dl is 2.8gb!

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:59 am

I know, sorry! That's why I couldn't put it on Dropbox.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Weird aspect ratio in the KG rip
I just figured out what you meant. Those caps are totally misleading. It actually looks like my screenshots above.

Any more takers?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 am

Count me in.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:29 am

I didn't get around to posting about takeshi's trip on time but also found myself agreeing with most of you.. so had little to add tbh. But it was a really fun ride and I apologize for not saying anything meaningful. That said, am in for sure this time. Just grabbing the film off KG now.

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:14 am

Signups are down a bit, but I'm hoping for best participation rate. :)

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:20 am

Don't forget to watch this over the next few days. All feedback is welcome, from walls of text to emoticons! Although you can probably guess which I prefer...

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:54 pm

This movie: nope.

More tomorrow!

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:28 pm

For a low budget film designed for small festival runs, this is pretty optimal stuff. It doesn't try to do more than it can possibly do with its limited resources and with that it ends up quite an effective watch. There is a darkness here that's inherent in most low key minimal films but there's a great deal of humour inserted into its body to off-set that. The television sequences were nice creative flourishes but somewhat feel like interludes to pad out the runtime rather than have any real significance to what the film is trying to portray. I don't really buy the narrative or the biblical allusions so the overall arc feels quite weak. It definitely seems like something with a lot of potential though as the Serbian perspective is something that can be explored quite deeply. Not bad.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:01 am
Profile WWW

I just thought there was nothing of substance here, at all - the Biblical plot seems completely shoehorned in, every affectation seemed borrowed from another, better filmmaker without intent to return (I thought the guy-on-crutches-bloody-old-woman interlude was embarrassing), the slapstick was never once effective and jarred horribly (if I laughed at all it was more from the confusion of the film's assembly than by what it was actually depicting, eg. the scene with the gangs chasing each other and beating each other up). The editing was completely amateur and often quite shockingly bad - how did half of the cuts in the first 10 minutes make it past the first rough cut? TV scenes were interesting only because we got to watch something about something else made by someone else - the duck scene was very fascinating and was quite an apt metaphor for how I appreciated this film. I think this literally failed hard at every single thing it tried to achieve.

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:58 am

Overall it's definitely inept, but with zero budget features I usually give the benefit of the doubt. It did some interesting things with what little they had to make it even if a lot of it doesn't entirely work out successfully.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:40 pm
Profile WWW

Didn't think this one was particularly memorable. I thought it was filled with these disparate vignettes (while a couple were interesting) that didn't really come together for me in any sort of way. If anything I failed to understand the point of the construction worker story and the main character's association with him as an angel and their final confrontation and fight in the graveyard at the end. I think the director shows some promise visually at least since the aforementioned graveyard scene looks great and I liked the creepy dream sequence in the cave with the guy in the old school aquatic outfit. But I think director needs a more clearer vision of what he wants the film to be and say as I saw no real coherent connection between the philosophy student with an existential crisis at the beginning to the one residing over vacant funerals with eloquent speeches in the end.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:42 pm

I'll try to watch it today, but these early thoughts aren't exactly inspiring confidence...

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:57 am

Image Image

OK, I admit to disappointment. My screenshot run-through promised more somehow, but I didn't hate it by any means. The strident chatter and public sleeping make me think he's seen The Asthenic Syndrome; at any rate, he seems to be saying something similar about the current state of Serbian society. The difference is that Muratova's sad orators are saying something, and their ideas weave together into a greater understanding. Here, everyone seems to be doing the same thing as the student at the grave sites: stringing together words they know no one will listen to, much less try to interpret. I did like the TV's ironic commentary, and all the crazier bits (the horse head, the tumor, the guy falling out of the scaffolding). The dreams were eerie, but too on-the-nose. Maybe he should have ditched the sad-sack satire and gone all-out surreal.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Sorry, Shield... going to pass on this one, I think. I'm in a bit of a film watching lull as it is, so I can't really bring myself to watch something people seem to dislike. I'll join in again on the next one (kopello's?).

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:28 pm

snapper wrote:
The editing was completely amateur and often quite shockingly bad - how did half of the cuts in the first 10 minutes make it past the first rough cut?
I guess you're talking about the way it goes out of focus on the zooms? I noticed that a couple of times, but otherwise I thought it looked pretty good. :(
kopello wrote:
If anything I failed to understand the point of the construction worker story and the main character's association with him as an angel and their final confrontation and fight in the graveyard at the end.
I kind of liked the gradual way that character changed from a bumbling bystander into a rather sinister figure of mystery. And maybe that means only that we become privy to the student's insane mental space, but I found it interesting!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Anyway, I took a real gamble on this one. I'm sorry it didn't pay. :(

Kopello, you're up!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I guess you're talking about the way it goes out of focus on the zooms? I noticed that a couple of times, but otherwise I thought it looked pretty good. :(
I kind of liked the gradual way that character changed from a bumbling bystander into a rather sinister figure of mystery. And maybe that means only that we've become privy to the student's insane mental space, but I found it interesting!

More concerned with the embarrassing lack of congruence on every match-on-action

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:01 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Anyway, I took a real gamble on this one. I'm sorry it didn't pay. :(

Kopello, you're up!

Yea but that tends to happen with things like this and based on the synopsis/screencaps the movie did look pretty promising.

Give me a couple of days to pick out something and I'll start a thread soon.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]