It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #4 The Forbidden Quest 
Post Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #4 The Forbidden Quest

The Forbidden Quest

Peter Delpeut, 1993

Quote:
Dutch filmmaker Peter Delpeut has fashioned something of a cottage industry out of turning archival documentary footage into a spine on which to hang newly spun yarns. In his The Forbidden Quest, Delpeut begins with spectacular images of polar expeditions—probably shot between 1905 and 1925—and adds a soundtrack, actors, and newly staged scenes to create a hybrid, fake “documentary” in which the old genuine footage becomes part of the new, fictitious tale. Sounds crazy, but it works. Delpeut has an extraordinary flair for capturing the feel of isolation and dread that can be found only the most wide-open of spaces, and the incredibly beautiful, color-tinted archival footage is incorporated into his story in a genuinely chilling manner; it gives his whole absurd tale—about an underground passage to Antarctica—the flavor of a classic ghost story. Delpeut's films (he also made the extraordinary Lyrical Nitrate) aren't for everyone, but for those who can be awestruck by rare old film footage of places that we normally visit only in dreams, there's nothing like them.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Rules of the Corrie Class Trip:

▪ As host, pick a film you haven't seen and that you don't think many others on the forum have seen. (Check Trends if you're unsure.) It's a good idea to prioritise films from directors whose work you haven't seen before. Make sure it'll interest people!
▪ Announce it in a new thread (usually on a weekend) and accept sign-ups. People should have at least a week to see the film and post an in-depth reaction.
▪ After the discussion, randomly choose someone from the pool of responders to host the next Trip. The new host has up to a week to choose a film and start the next Corrie Class Trip thread.

Previous Trips, Edition 2.0:

#1 - The Worthless (Mika Kaurismäki) // snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (Quentin Lee and Justin Lin) // takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise (Marin Malesevic) // Shieldmaiden

Participating

snapper
takeshi
kopello
Shieldmaiden
Colonel Kurz
hirtho
Bandy Greensacks
MrCarmady

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 am
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #4 The Forbidden Quest

I grabbed this a few months back (before the freeleech I think) and while I haven't watched it yet it's kind of been in the back of my mind, mainly because I was so intrigued by the director's blending of archival footage and filmed footage into a mockumentary of sorts. While the director's known for this type of copying/pasting+creating technique I have yet to see anything from him (he does have a freeleech film available on kg though). I was thinking maybe next Saturday for the due date (April 5th), and if that doesn't work out for a few people we can push it back a week or so. The film isn't particularly long (70 minutes) and the file isn't very big so this shouldn't be anything you have to go out of your way to see. Anyways I thought this could be a unique addition to the Class Trip and I hope it isn't boring!

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 am

Wow, looks insanely awesome. Looking forward to watching.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:44 am
Profile WWW

Yes me in totally

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:24 am

Ooh, looks interesting. I'm in, of course.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:24 am

Haha even if the Corrie Class Trip just turns into cycling through us 4 again and again, I still think it'd be insanely fun and worth it.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:30 am
Profile WWW

I didn't care much for Lyrical Nitrate about ten years ago but might give this one a whirl.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:06 am

looks great!

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:29 am

I'll watch this one

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:32 am

i approve of the length. don't think i've ever seen a dutch film. in.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:06 am

takeshi wrote:
Haha even if the Corrie Class Trip just turns into cycling through us 4 again and again, I still think it'd be insanely fun and worth it.

:D Agreed! Thanks for the good turnout guys. hirtho, I wasn't sure if you're comment was meant as an inclusion into the trip or not so I just went ahead and put your name with the rest, feel free to do whatevs.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:55 am

cool, thx kopello, yes i'm planning to watch

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

This went through ups and downs for me but I was /am kinda drunk when I finished it can someone explain exactly what happened/how
the Italian died
etc? Lost

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:33 pm

This is interesting, and sort of engaging, and the found footage is gorgeous and eerie and intriguing. The music's great, too. But I guess you have to assess whether the appeal of this footage is intrinsic or whether its coming from the way it is arranged in this new context - because the story is convoluted and not as interesting as Delpeut clearly thinks it is, and O'Connor a horribly Repertory Theatre guide to events, and the parallel narratives organised as A-B-C-D attention shifts, we basically end up with an interesting idea given a conventional, vaguely History Channel structural treatment. Still, the footage is gorgeous and this is worth a look, maybe others will think differently. Lyrical Nitrate looks more interesting to me

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:13 am

Pretty much 100% agree with snapper . There's a lot to admire here, just in the pure inventiveness shown in the narrative construction alone. Delpeut uses some pretty goddamn amazing footage of actual arctic expeditions to create this fictional narrative of a failed adventure to Antarctica that exposes the perils and faults of these men who are out of their element (though this becomes something completely different in the end). I agree the story is clunky and even in its straightforwardness there seems to be a bit that's left out and the old man's monologue can be a bit to theatrical and corny at times (though succeeds occasionally in actually evoking genuine pathos imo). The film is at it's most affecting during something like the bear killing scene where there's no monologue and Delpeut lets the images and music speak for themselves. Even though it kind of hints at something bizarre taking place throughout the film the ending still felt a little out of left field, and what I felt like was suppose to be this cathartic moment was just kind of OK.

snapper wrote:
This went through ups and downs for me but I was /am kinda drunk when I finished it can someone explain exactly what happened/how
the Italian died
etc? Lost

Was he the one who killed/ate the natives? Also how did the narrator get out of Antarctica? :?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Was there some like
interpolar supernatural passage or something idk
none of it was very well-explained, notsomuch in an 'ooh, mystery...' way and more in a 'lol ok wtf' way

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:14 pm

Yea something like that. It felt awkwardly tacked on, like the director thought it'd be "cool" and unique but it's just odd.

Also a reminder for everyone else tomorrow is the due date for your thoughts, so watch and report back!

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:59 am

Yeah, I kinda lost interest in following along with the narrative about halfway in. I ended up just taking in the sounds and images since those were particularly beautiful. This would have been better if the narrator was more lowkey or if it was text-based, I dunno. It begs you to take an interest in the old man's monologue but delivers it in a way that's just "who gives a shit?". It's hard to listen to someone speak for so long if there is no interest in the subject on the viewer's end (and Delpeut doesn't much try to do that) and if the narrator is devoid of a personality that makes what they say interesting.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:21 pm
Profile WWW

I watched it but I have very little to say on it. Conceptually it's alright but every time the footage becomes slightly hypnotic, it cuts back to the guy's boring face. The framing device lets the film down. No atmosphere, no interesting characters, a ludicrous plot, and feels like a lot longer than 70 minutes.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:52 am

I'm probably going to watch it tonight.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:30 am

The idea of this was a lot more interesting than the execution. There were some great images of the beautiful ice, and I liked the filters, but, as with a lot of mysteries, the set up was much more interesting than the reveal. The real flaw, though, is the old guy telling the story. I didn’t find him boring as much as irritating. Seriously could not stand him, haha.

kopello wrote:
Also how did the narrator get out of Antarctica? :?

I was also confused, because wasn’t he saying at the end that he didn’t follow the crazy helmsman into the center of the earth? So, how did he get back home without a ship? And how would getting to the North Pole help them get home anyway?

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm

it's just cos you hate the irish, maiden, we understand

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:23 pm

This was kind of interesting. Reminded me of Chris Marker, in a way. I found the constant cuts back to the medium shot of the carpenter a bit grating after a while, especially since so much of the old footage was quite beautiful. I'm a sucker for Lovecraftian elements in films, though, so that helped a lot.

At the very least, this got me interested in seeing some of Delpeut's other films

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:54 am

snapper wrote:
Was there some like
interpolar supernatural passage or something idk
none of it was very well-explained, notsomuch in an 'ooh, mystery...' way and more in a 'lol ok wtf' way

Delpeut mentions Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym in the credits. It's almost a direct adaptation, actually.

So I guess that means he was rescued by a passing ship? Not sure why that wasn't mentioned

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 am

MrCarmady wrote:
it's just cos you hate the irish, maiden, we understand
Not true. Some of my closest relatives are Irish, haha.

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Delpeut mentions Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym in the credits. It's almost a direct adaptation, actually.
Huh, I'd never even heard of this. And, it throws another layer of borrowing into the mix:
Quote:
In order to present the tale as an authentic exploration, Poe used a number of the travel journals that proliferated at the time he was writing the novel. Poe's most significant source was the explorer Jeremiah N. Reynolds, whose work Address on the Subject of a Surveying and Exploring Expedition to the Pacific Ocean and the South Seas was reviewed favorably by Poe in January 1837. Poe used about 700 words of Reynolds' address in Chapter XVI, almost half the length of the chapter. In 1843, Poe also praised Reynolds in a review of A Brief Account of the Discoveries and Results of the United States' Exploring Expedition printed in Graham's Magazine.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:43 am

Thanks everyone for the responses! It looks like we all mostly share the same opinion of the film. If anyone still wants to post feel free to but for now I'll pass the torch onto Bandy.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 am

McCarmady hasn't done one either yet - maybe a coin flip?

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:04 am

Bandy has participated in more, I believe.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:29 am
Profile WWW

Well, yeah, Bandy did a couple in the first Corrie Class Trip series. McCarmady's never done one

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:53 am

I wouldn't even consider my post in this a contribution, I'll happily wait my turn.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:07 am

snapper wrote:
Well, yeah, Bandy did a couple in the first Corrie Class Trip series. McCarmady's never done one

O, I was just counting this round.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:53 am
Profile WWW

oh, i meant hosted

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:55 am

Well, we've just completely crossed one another's wires, HAVEN'T WE?

I just meant that Bandy has commented on other ones and I think this is the first one MrCarmady has written something on in thisss roundddd.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 am
Profile WWW

Since MrCarmady seems to be putting his own turn off, I wouldn't mind doing it now. I do have a few in mind.

Do you want me to post something today (since it's the weekend) or wait a few days?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:21 pm

oops i thought there was 2 weeks in between these

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Since MrCarmady seems to be putting his own turn off, I wouldn't mind doing it now. I do have a few in mind.

Do you want me to post something today (since it's the weekend) or wait a few days?

You have up to a week, choose well.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]