It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fidelitous Highs: A VistaVision Adventure 
Post Re: Fidelitous Highs: A VistaVision Adventure

Jerry Lewis's comic persona is based on degeneration; scriptwriters create for him foolish stories that concentrate on character defects, the symptoms of which he mimics all too well ... The general public wants to see an exceptional person, but genius, or simply intelligence, bothers their eyes like a cinder would; it annoys them and makes them ashamed. They would rather see the exceptional stupidity of a Bourvil farmer, of a Fernandel from Marseilles, of two twits, of a pair of friends like Laurel and Hardy ... I'd like to see a movie, directed by Frank Tashlin, in which Jerry Lewis would pretend he is a cat; no lines for him, just a few "meows" and a lot of saucepans tied to his tail, plenty of fur being stroked the wrong way and a few thrashings from his mistresses after some mischievous episodes. There would be in such a film a good chance for something new, and an opportunity to handle the subject more completely, without neglecting the element of parody ... I don't share the severity of my friend Claude Mauriac concerning Dean Martin. He plays with Jerry as Tom does, as a ventriloquist plays opposite his dummy, with the apprehensive smile of Pygmalion, the sorcerer's apprentice for whom things are becoming too much to handle ... If from time to time you like sitting on a stool in front of a hamburger and a Coke in a shiny snack bar, while enjoying a certain smile that a girl who could serve as a model for the Esquire calendar is sending your way, you could see Pardners with pleasure. - François Truffaut
Image Image

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:32 am
Profile WWW

That movie isn't very good at all.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:53 am

roujin wrote:
That movie isn't very good at all.

This thread isn't about good movies. It's about VistaVision movies. :D

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:04 am

flieger wrote:
Three's enough. Especially the VistaVision ones.

Of the others, Rock-a-Bye Baby is essential.

Yeah, will probably look at watching this next.

The Delicate Delinquent is the black and white one, right?

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:22 pm
Profile WWW

To fully understand Joseph Anthony's The Matchmaker in its filmic state of 1958, it pays to tread backwards along the story's long and winding evolutionary path in search of turning points, various transformations, and of course some kind of concrete origin. The film began life as a one-act British farce entitled A Day Well Spent, written in 1835 by John Oxenford, before being adapted into a full-length musical by Austrian playwright Johann Nestroy some years later. Then, in 1938, Thornton Wilder took Nestroy's reworking and reworked it further, into an Americanised Broadway production named The Merchant of Yonkers. This was later revised and re-released as The Matchmaker, before eventually reaching Hollywood in 1958. Indeed, perhaps the most striking thing about the film is its inherent theatricality. There are consciously-deployed devices, such as the initial lowering of the audience into what is a conspicuously staged tale, and introducing it via the narration of a sympathetic third-party, albeit with an especially vested interest. The fourth wall is broken on numerous occasions afterwards, and by all characters, as they pause to bestow upon us their varying thoughts and desires, musings and meditations. As such, it's all very tongue-in-cheek, from these occasional character/audience asides to the maintained 19th century backdrops and costumes, as well as the exaggerated social behaviour and respective moral questions.
Image Image

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:55 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
The Delicate Delinquent is the black and white one, right?

Yes. Jerry sings, does maintenance, and sumo wrestling.
Image Image

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:38 pm

Is there anything Jerry can't do?

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:29 pm
Profile WWW

Updated opening post and spreadshet:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:59 pm
Profile WWW

In this piece of slapstick, Tashlin takes Hollywood at its word. For word, read bust, or Anita Ekberg’s bust as it happens. So Hollywood or Bust means those of Anita, or Shirley, or Dorothy, or Pat, or Jane, as Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? will shortly demonstrate again. Hollywood or Bust is to The Girl Can’t Help It as -making due allowance - L’Ecole des Femmes is to Le Misanthrope. Taking Howard Hawks’s beloved theme of a journey, Tashlin indulges a riot of poetic fancies where charm and comic invention alternate in a constant felicity of expression. The plot is thin, certainly, but the merit is all the greater. To have turned Dean Martin into a comedian is a feat enough to rate his direct a place at the very top. Louis Jouvet quotes somewhere this definition of the theatre by Alfred de Vigny: a thought which is metamorphose into a mechanism. So Tashlin, a man of the cinema and of the cinema in color, does the opposite of Vigny’s dictum. The proof is Jerry Lewis’s face, where the height of artifice blends at times with the nobility of true documentary.To sum up. Frank Tashlin has not renovated the Hollywood comedy. He has done better. There is not a difference in degree between Hollywood or Bust and It Happened One Night, between The Girl Can’t Help It and Design for Living, but a difference in kind. Tashlin, in other words, has not renewed but created. And henceforth, when you talk about a comedy, don’t say ‘It’s Chaplinesque’; say, loud and clear, ‘It’s Tashlinesque.’ - Jean-Luc Godard
Image Image

Thu May 01, 2014 7:24 am
Profile WWW

Nothing could be further removed from the shadowy interiors and grimy urban detail of Edward Dmytryk's earlier forays into film noir - Murder, My Sweet and Crossfire, to list but a couple - than his work here on The Mountain, a sprawling, weather-worn cliffhanger envisioned through the colourful spectacles of a committed Europhile. Shot on location in South-Eastern France, it opens by gleefully presenting a breezy array of true Alpine scenery: hazy, verdant valleys and distant snow-capped peaks, beautifully captured in resplendent VistaVision. Far less committed is the premise, perhaps murmured initially for fear of being derided throughout, that Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner appear here as brothers. Grizzled old countryman versus greedy young upstart is plausible, certainly, but brothers? The actors were born three decades apart! But such is the Magic of Hollywood, presenting the incredible as credible; dressing it up and wheeling it out to shrieks of excitement, before wheeling it in and dressing it down once again. Again, we can reduce it all to mere colours. Primary colours, to be precise. Red is the itchy woolen shirt that Tracy's aged, sympathetic character proudly inhabits despite the montane chills, symbolising the warmth of his craggy old heart. Wagner's younger sibling, in stark contrast, dons a bright blue anorak over a sleek black turtleneck - a villainous choice of apparel, if ever I saw one. Only when coupled together, in this case unwillingly, can Red and Blue take on the White and Green of Dmtryk's deadly mountain peak.
Image Image

Thu May 01, 2014 4:47 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the spreadsheet. I'm looking forward to the Hitchcocks.

And, oh, haha, the Doctor at... films. Those are in my queue (for Bogarde <3).

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 pm

The Mountain looks great! They don't have the same quality of backdrops but he also uses color amazingly in his Blue Angel remake (Fassbinder's Lola is much more a remake of this remake than of the original) and also Warlock is my favorite besides Murder My Sweet

Fri May 02, 2014 8:06 pm

sometimes I just want to punch you in the face Jedi for how good your threads are, like when you see a cute kitten and you want to squeeze it. i hope you bleed.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Sat May 03, 2014 2:27 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
sometimes I just want to punch you in the face Jedi for how good your threads are, like when you see a cute kitten and you want to squeeze it. i hope you bleed.

Sat May 03, 2014 2:56 am

I love you too, Rouge. :heart:

Sat May 03, 2014 8:22 am
Profile WWW

oh this is cool

I'm gonna watch some of that

Fri May 09, 2014 2:51 pm

A pervasive feeling of cynicism and distrust, spreading throughout the films of the time as a shadow creeps across a darkened room: this was the effect that emigrant European auteurs had upon American cinema at the time of the Second World War. Similarly effective were the exploits of Americans such as Jules Dassin and Joseph Losey, exiled filmmakers who took up European productions after being blacklisted by Hollywood in the late 1940s and 1950s. Cy Endfield was one of these, and it is easy to see his outsider's influence, even upon a film as quintessentially British as Hell Drivers - with its stone quarries and public houses and generally pessimistic outlook. It is a work that shares much more with such films as Dassin's Thieves' Highway and (going further back) Walsh's They Drive by Night than their mere automotive theme. There is also, as Rebecca Prime has written in her book on Hollywood Exiles, the working class aspect and a general contempt for capitalist exploitation. There is a brute violence to the world of hurtling metal and sweaty brows in which Endfield's drivers ply their trade. It is a self-contained world of masculinity; one that is created by men and for men, and in which women are considered graceless and immoral. Stanley Baker's protagonist becomes a mere product of this world, yet there is one man who rises above it. As Elisabetta Girelli has pointed out, it is only Herbert Lom's sacrificial Italian character that provides, as she describes it, "an alternative to its vision of brutal manhood".
Image Image

Fri May 23, 2014 5:12 am
Profile WWW

That Delicate Delinquent has had 17 reseed requests by the same person on KG, why don't you reupload it, flieger?

Sat May 24, 2014 5:51 am

ptp for me

Sat May 24, 2014 12:44 pm

The shiny sheriff's badge to which Anthony Mann's 1957 film eponymously refers is often used as a symbol around which western narratives are weaved. The Tin Star brings together two men of opposite ages and opposite outlooks, both of which seem to orbit around this singular, romantic symbol of responsibility and justice. Henry Fonda's grizzled, cynical old veteran has recently discarded it in disgust, though we know not why; Anthony Perkins' naive young greenhorn has recently assumed it, with the hope of finally standing for something. Through the former of these narratives, The Tin Star strongly resembles Fred Zinnemann's High Noon, though - while the townspeople here are depicted as petty, hypocritical and racist - lacks the same level of social commentary. Mann, however, has much more fun with the titular symbol and often works it into scenes between his two protagonists. When they first meet, for example, the older character asks the younger where the town martial might be - seemingly dismissing his new acquaintance as a potential candidate, despite the striking emblem upon his chest. In response, the young man's hand goes immediately to the badge, fondling it proudly as though it were his entire identity crystalised in a small piece of metal. Yet, it is a job that he clearly doesn't quite understand the scope of, at least not yet. And this is something that Mann illustrates often with deep focus shots, particularly from inside the sheriff's office looking out into the street, as though capturing all that is to be surveyed.
Image Image

Sun May 25, 2014 4:40 pm
Profile WWW

The films below are the VistaVision films that I've seen (from the Wikipedia list), so not very many from that source. Boldface means I own a copy, a capital B means my copy is Blu-ray. And, of course, I've seen most of those listed at the bottom of that Wiki article, as having been made with SFX done in VistaVision format. I saw none of the films in this list at the theater, because I was a little squirt when VV was in the theaters. A few I've seen only on broadcast television, which means I've seen the movie, but the aspect ratio and resolution were lost to pan-and-scan.

Paramount
White Christmas (1954)
The Seven Little Foys (1955)
Strategic Air Command (1955)
To Catch a Thief (1955)
The Trouble with Harry (1955) B
Anything Goes (1956)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) B
The Ten Commandments (1956)
Funny Face (1957)
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)
The Sad Sack (1957)
The Black Orchid (1958)
The Buccaneer (1958)
Houseboat (1958)
King Creole (1958)
The Matchmaker (1958)
Vertigo (1958) B

Other
High Society (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1956)
The Searchers (Warner Bros., 1956) B
North by Northwest (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1959) B
Venus Wars (Japan, 1989)

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue May 27, 2014 12:23 am

Long overdue, but update coming this evening.

What did you make of this one, YTMN?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:34 am
Profile WWW

I'm more familiar with that theme song than I probably should.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:02 am

Somehow, I knew it before actually seeing the film...

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:07 am
Profile WWW

I remember reading at one point, regarding this adaptation of the historic 1881 shootout involving mythical lawmen Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, that the film's theme song was probably more memorable than the film itself. And I remember wondering, given the potent combined presence of Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, how that could be possible; having finally seen Gunfight at the O.K. Corral recently, I'd have to agree with the original sentiment! It bears considering that the classic western had just about run its course by the time this one was released, and that director John Sturges never thought much of it: really, this was a Hal B. Wallis production upon which he worked, whereas his later treatment of the same material in Hour of the Gun was done with full creative control - the result is something more gritty, though without the romance, nor (as he perhaps resented) the success. Still, while clearly ambling through what was at the time a decaying genre, Gunfight makes enough of the right moves to be considered a quintessential example: there is a clear, romantic defining of good and bad, with all the typical clichés present including swinging saloon doors and dangerous dance-hall girls. Lancaster and Douglas are good, but it's Dimitri Tiomkin's score that stands out: it really does lend the film what is a bouncy momentum, easing the transition between scenes and tying them together into some kind of larger dramatic arc.
Image Image

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:59 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Somehow, I knew it before actually seeing the film...

As for the film, it's been a few years, but I remember liking it allright. There's definitely better versions of that story. Don't remember much about the Vision.

Edit: whoa, post!

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:00 am

Great minds... post simultaneously?

Have you seen the other Sturges?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 am
Profile WWW

I have, I don't recall having a huge preference for one over the other, but it might be a bit better. At least it's similar and 25 minutes shorter! Doesn't have that theme song though...

The best Sturges western is technically not even a western, I think: Bad Day On Black Rock. CinemaScope, though.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:10 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
CinemaScope, though.

You know what to do, Kurz...

It's funny, I read some criticisms of Gunfight recently, stating that Sturges took way too many narrative liberties - that the actual shootout lasted 30 seconds, whereas in the film it's 6 minutes long and overly exaggerated for theatrical purposes. But then, I can't remember any adaptation of the event (of those I've seen) in which it lasted much less than 6 minutes...

Grabbing that other Sturges now!

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:59 am
Profile WWW

But what about Dennis Hopper?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:27 am

JediMoonShyne wrote:
You know what to do, Kurz...

Do I, though?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:36 am

*Flaps barber's cape*

Want me to do yer banners, love?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:07 am
Profile WWW

Kayden Kross wrote:
But what about Dennis Hopper?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:10 am
Profile WWW

That's not Dennis Hopper. THIS is Dennis Hopper:

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 am

He was such a cute little square. :heart:

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:24 am
Profile WWW

While typically used to describe something relating to or resembling wool, the word woolly is an adjective with a variety of related sub-meanings. It can mean something soft and readily yielding to pressure, but also something lacking in any kind of defined clarity or substance; something characterised by mental confusion or fuzziness. And they are meanings that can be readily, fittingly, ironically applied to the character of Gilbert Wooley, played by Jerry Lewis in Frank Tashlin's The Geisha Boy. A toiling magician with a small-time act and a big old heart, poor Gilbert displays many of said traits: as David Desser remarks in his essay on the film's process of Orientalizing the Jewish Man, Wooley's tale is not so much a woolly one but a "shaggy-dog story, lacking only the dog but substituting a rabbit, whose main point is to get Jerry-the-boy-man to Japan, to have him involved in an interracial romance, to spoof Bridge on the River Kwai, and to take potshots at emerging American feminism." Indeed, the Geisha Boy of the title probably doesn't refer to the small boy whom he befriends, but to Jerry's character: specifically, its continued juvenilisation and feminisation, following on from the post-Martin Rock-a-Bye Baby and The Delicate Delinquent. Gilbert Wooley borrows and shapes elements from these earlier Lewis characters, such as the motherly aspects of the former, whereas the film itself looks to exploit the West's obsessive preoccupation with the East during the period - with a particular narrative nod to Joshua Logan's Sayonara, among others.
Image Image

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:55 am
Profile WWW

More Motion Picture High Fidelity:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

~~~

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:08 am
Profile WWW

Those blue skies <3
Is that Renee Zellweger, preincarnated?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:52 am

Hey, a long time ago I saw some of these. Sorry about the screenshots (VHS rip only).

ImageImage
3 Ring Circus | Joseph Pevney | 1954

Martin impels women and children to taste his creamy, delicious custard, but it's Lewis who breaks the lever, resulting in the machine spurting the yellow liquid over the crowds and themselves. Still fond of each other, they inhabit different spheres, and burrow into the more onanistic aspects of their personae. Martin's predatory caddishness is highly developed, and the pair break-up for a little while, with Lewis' voice dropping its register as he says, "You ain't nice anymore." Martin is present, but the narrative focuses on Lewis and his desire to become a clown.

Bear witness to the maudlin aspects of Lewis. The orphaned children's benefit and the crying clown, presaging his annual 24 hour immersion within himself. The desperate tragedy of evoking laughter, and the torture of the clown agonising over the one person who will not laugh. "Honey, I know you don't think I'm very funny, but couldn't you just laugh once?" He sits down beside her, imploring the girl for just "one little smile." Lewis, now a formalised clown, goes through the honoured routines of circus performance. Like The Stooge we find pathos and comedy intermingling, but the structured, ritualised clowning of the circus means the pathos is ultimately overt, painful and rawly unconvincing. Desperate for people "laughing the kind of laugh that warms them up inside", Lewis' Jerrico the Magnificent is a character who needs to be loved above all things, but it's a rudimentary introspection. Unyoked, Lewis' inclinations get the better of him. Taurog and Tashlin know better, and Lewis' later work will expand and complicate this self-regard.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Those blue skies <3
Is that Renee Zellweger, preincarnated?

:D

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:26 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks so much for the input, flieger. :heart:

Have avoided that Lewis because of the quality, but will grab it today and report back!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:26 pm
Profile WWW

flieger wrote:
Martin impels women and children to taste his creamy, delicious custard, but it's Lewis who breaks the lever, resulting in the machine spurting the yellow liquid over the crowds and themselves.

This sentence is such a perfect encapsulation of the duo's infectious dynamic. It's like, a sketch in itself that jumps off the page and acts everything out. And it's fascinating, especially in the later films (from those I've seen, at least) just how subtly Martin tends to cede to Lewis, as the film's orbit and circus spotlight slowly shifts in his direction. There then becomes something of a poetry in the scenes where they succeed one another, or divide the work in an unequal manner. I mean, Martin standing on Lewis' shoulders here has to mean something, right? The straight man standing on the shoulders of the wobbly-kneed man, whose voracious appetite ruins the chance of a free meal, squarely stolen. An appetite that seems born out of endless activity: eyebrows that lift and pull, a chin constantly jutting in grimace, and limbs whose relationship to one another echoes that of the two stars, intending to pull in the same direction but ultimately doing quite the opposite.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
An appetite that seems born out of endless activity: eyebrows that lift and pull, a chin constantly jutting in grimace, and limbs whose relationship to one another echoes that of the two stars, intending to pull in the same direction but ultimately doing quite the opposite.

So true. Lewis always insisted that Martin's straight-man character was as much as a work of art as anything he ever did. Of course, Jerry still took credit for all things off-screen (mis en scene, direction, editing etc), and obviously only one of them could become The Total Film-Maker.

Hey, I've seen more. (Possibly a little over-enthusiastic on this one.)

Artists and Models | Frank Tashlin | 1955)

Sex and colour. Mirrors reflecting the bare flesh of Dorothy Malone's legs, Dean Martin's immaculately hairless chest, or just plain looking at Malone and MacLaine sunbathing in their swimsuits, and getting oiled up by Martin. Martin sings Inamorata to Malone, and MacLaine replicates it on the stairs below, singing of her love to an unprepared Lewis. Genius stuff. The interactions of the four switch and pivot and intersect so wonderfully, and with such deft complexity. It's a marvel of ensemble comedy and construction, and builds perfectly into the espionage/musical finale.

It's also Tashlin's most outrageously complex pop culture satire, with multiple mediums existing on different planes within the one screen. You have Lewis and Martin working inside a giant ad, an ad that spews out comic books instead of cigarette smoke. You have Bat Lady in the comics, in Lewis' fevered dreams, and then in reality. There's Lewis on the TV, being watched by Martin (being watched by us), talking about comic books and retardation. You have Lewis being sketched as a giant cartoon mouse, then later bringing a giant dress-up mouse head home, and then finally going the whole-hog and dressing up as the giant mouse. Two-dimensions evolve into three, and then break into reality as a whole. You get Lewis and Martin painting on beautiful costumed women. Then in the finale it essentially turns into a mash-up cartoon/comic strip as the the mouse and Bat Lady make out. Deep, deep stuff.

Anyway, it's a masterpiece of the grotesque, the burlesque, of Pop Art, of comic performance, and as a satire of fears of moral and cultural decay. It could be the best thing I've seen from Tashlin. It might lack the nightmarish psychology of Rock Hunter, but it has this dizzying whirligig complexity and stupidity that exemplifies the brilliance of plastic American cinema.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:52 pm

flieger wrote:
It could be the best thing I've seen from Tashlin.

While I'm sure your Tashlin reach extends far further than mine, I'd concur with the above. There's a lot more going on here than in Hollywood or Bust, for example. The condemnation of American consumerism and materialism, the pop culture satire, is far more concise and relentless. Just the idea that Jerry is reading comic books inside a huge billboard is great, then they flutter across the room to replace the fake cigarette smoke: something creative and innocent replacing something destructive and corrupt. With Jerry then ending up in the pipe in a desperate effort to save his literature, eventually plucked out but not without lasting lung damage. Of all these Martin and Lewis pictures, Tashlin seems to be the one director with a vision that both furnishes the duo's antics and shines through; a voice that can be heard above all the chatter, ultimately lending the films more substance - with themes and ideas that can just as easily be applied to current US society and culture.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:19 am
Profile WWW

bump

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:37 am

:D

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:53 am
Profile WWW

Melvin Frank's The Jayhawkers! boasts another of the great western scores, conceived by New York-born composer Jerome Moross, and from which his iconic theme for the popular television series Wagon Train was subsequently derived. It starts off in trumpeting fashion, then falls into what is almost a quotidian rhythm, as though each string-filled crescendo is crafted so as to herald the dawn of a new day. The film itself is somewhat tepid in comparison, promoted ambitiously as a historical must-see, but lacking the conviction or indeed the substance to justify such claims. Initially, the story - a man escapes from prison, stumbles half-dead across the desert and collapses at an old homestead - recalls a bunch of different sources, but then goes on to adopt a narrative closer to detective fiction, with an undercover cop who must expose the corruption of those in power and the exploitation of the populace. Recently restored by Olive Films, the colours here are occasionally vibrant but somewhat muted and dusty in comparison to other VistaVision westerns I've seen: Ford's The Searchers, Ray's Run for Cover and the like. That said, this is probably a conscious design decision: the palette rarely exiting a strict brown/grey/blue spectrum, with costumes from the great Edith Head (who worked on no less than 60 VistaVision titles, including Hitchcock's classics and all of those produced by Martin and Lewis) smartly adhering to this.
Image Image

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:57 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
The condemnation of American consumerism and materialism, the pop culture satire, is far more concise and relentless. Just the idea that Jerry is reading comic books inside a huge billboard is great, then they flutter across the room to replace the fake cigarette smoke: something creative and innocent replacing something destructive and corrupt.

Tashlin does that consumerist-explosion thing a fair bit, with The Man From the Diner's Club's automated, conformist workplace falling foul of computerised filing card mishaps, or Jerry being swallowed by hordes of shopping-mad women in Who's Minding the Store?

Image Image

But they're not VistaVision, so it's pointless talking about them.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 am

Das wrote:
bump

:up:

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:01 am

flieger wrote:
But they're not VistaVision, so it's pointless talking about them.

:D Very true.

Appalled at the image quality of some of these: you'd think Jerry might inspired a DVD restoration or two!

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next