It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Love is the Beginning of All Terror: New German Cinema 66-86 
Post Re: Love is the Beginning of All Terror: New German Cinema 6

Four movies and six posts later, I guess I'm not so good at thread-hogging after all. But, hey, when in doubt, rank! So far I've covered 11 years/11 films, and I think I'd rank them like this:

Alice in the Cities
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Kings of the Road
Artists under the Big Top: Perplexed
Katzelmacher
The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum
Wrong Move
Heinrich
Yesterday Girl
I Only Want You to Love Me
Shadow of Angels

EDIT: That's not to say I won't watch the rest of my list. I will. I need wig to come back, though!

Isle of Dogs ▪ Eika Katappa ▪ Johnny Guitar ▪ The Devils ▪ Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told ▪ Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness ▪ The Thing ▪ Madame X: An Absolute Ruler ▪ American Ultra

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Tue May 03, 2016 5:45 am

I'll be back-back-forreal-back June 1st. I've fallen in love and my world shall soon turn to order once again

Edit: Great ranking! Love the countdown 10-1 structure! :P

Mon May 16, 2016 8:09 am

wigwam wrote:
Love the countdown 10-1 structure! :P
Haha! Aw...

Isle of Dogs ▪ Eika Katappa ▪ Johnny Guitar ▪ The Devils ▪ Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told ▪ Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness ▪ The Thing ▪ Madame X: An Absolute Ruler ▪ American Ultra

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Tue May 17, 2016 12:51 pm

I wish I could get a few people to watch this one and discuss it. So strange! In Palermo oder Wolfsburg, Schroeter sets up an Italy of sunshine and shouting (and lots of other stereotypes). Then he sends his impossibly innocent hero into a grim Germany of dark prejudice and fickle women. The fun is in the stylized shots, in contrast and angles, while the story marches tritely on. Of course Nicola commits an impulsive murder. Of course he's caught and brought to trial. But now it gets weird. One of the judges falls asleep. A witness gets a makeover mid-testimony. The defense attorney crawls into the prosecutor's lap. But the surrealism doesn't seem any more meaningful than the earlier clichés! I'm entertained, but thoroughly confused.

Image Image

Back to my list, if that's where you want to go.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:56 am

hi SMaiden!! I'm going to watch this tomorrow, thx for keeping the flame alive, you're the best!

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Yes, please! I haven't been here in forever, but New German Cinema is still on my mind. :)

I'm watching Schroeter all out of order, for some reason. I've only seen Malina and now Palermo. Guess I'll go back and catch at least Eika Katappa.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:44 am

Palermo oder Wolfsburg | Werner Schroeter | 1980 | DISLIKED

It had great atmosphere and energy in the first/Italy part (and maybe the change is thematic) but the 2nd half was too tedious for me so I was desensitized by the time the weirdness kicks in and it's didn't even register with me [also I watched the two parts in two sittings, which can't have helped?]

I think we have another San Domingo here between us, SMaiden :( I defer to you and your superior quality of viewership, of course

but thx again for keeping it going and inspiring me to get back to these! danke :heart:

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
This is how good Alice in the Cities is: so good I was compelled to watch the rest of the trilogy before I could move on. And, how good is the road trilogy? Great! I didn't want it to end.
I've been watching all of Wenders' 70s movies recently as part of a Robby Müller retrospective in Amsterdam. And I have to agree about Alice, even though it ended being the last one I saw. For a moment I thought it might even become my new favorite Wenders, but today they screened Until the End of the World in its full 5 hour, newly restored version, with Wenders in attendance and I might have to reconsider. Still mulling over that film though. Such a rich experience, with so much going on in it and so much to think about. It certainly seems to me to be the most Wenders of all Wenders, the ultimate Wenders if you will. Also got to shake his hand and get his autograph.

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Wrong Move is a quirky, rather weightless adaptation of a novel (the original Bildungsroman) by Goethe. I'm not sure how many ideas made it through the transformation, though there are some weird, meta things going on (very Certified Copy-like) that probably make more sense to readers of the book. It's entertaining, if not as great as the other two in the series. Still, the colors are warm, Schygulla and Kinski are beautiful, and the camera-work is delightful, so it holds its own.

Image Image
Image Image
I haven't read the book but I do know that all the dialogue was written for the movie by Peter Handke. And the conclusion of the film is the opposite of the novel, with Wilhelm ultimately not going through the "bildung" he thought he'd get from the trip. I don't know if the search for meaning ending with a subversion of that makes it weightless though, with all the alienation, suicide, the not-to-mention Nazi and war past (the national 'wrong move'), it seemed more like one of his heavier movies to me.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:57 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Until the End of the World
ultimate Wenders

:up:

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:21 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Such a rich experience, with so much going on in it and so much to think about. It certainly seems to me to be the most Wenders of all Wenders, the ultimate Wenders if you will.
Oh, yeah, I agree. :)
Quote:
I haven't read the book but I do know that all the dialogue was written for the movie by Peter Handke. And the conclusion of the film is the opposite of the novel, with Wilhelm ultimately not going through the "bildung" he thought he'd get from the trip. I don't know if the search for meaning ending with a subversion of that makes it weightless though, with all the alienation, suicide, the not-to-mention Nazi and war past (the national 'wrong move'), it seemed more like one of his heavier movies to me.
Good points, and, yeah, kind of silly of me to draw conclusions about a book I haven't read. But my "weightless" comment was really more about style. The characters are so aimless. It reminds me a little bit of Bartas. Sure, there are heavy reasons behind it, but the characters are still just drifting.

wigwam wrote:
:up:
Don't you want to watch some New German Cinema, wig?

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:04 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Don't you want to watch some New German Cinema, wig?

I do! I saw a couple recently when I stopped dating to avoid Halloween parties, but need to update here. I have to start taking off Mondays to burn off my PTO balance at this new job so I'll be watchong more soon

the title film of this thread is spectacular by the way!!

Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:17 pm

wigwam wrote:
Eika Katappa | Werner Schroeter | 1969 | LOVED

Oh, I agree! At first I wondered what you'd gotten me into, but once I fell into the rhythm of operatic images and silliness, I had a lot of fun. I really enjoyed Magdalena Montezuma. She has a beautiful silent film star face and apparently endless enthusiasm for what Shroeter is doing. (Don't miss her Quasimodo!) As far as what exactly Schroeter is doing, I'm not even going to guess. The main theme seemed to be performance, so I concentrated on absorbing. Though I admit I did do a little armchair psychologizing of Werner Schroeter, haha. What did you think of the Maria Callas stills? Affectionate or hostile?

Pro tip for anyone thinking of watching this: You really don't need subtitles. There are several languages being spoken (and sung), there's no plot to understand, and the key speeches seem to be in English for some reason anyway.

Image Image

Wed May 30, 2018 5:26 am

siiiiiiick! I remember this movie being crazy (but not the Callas stills? can they be both in a sick sadistic way?)

I'm gonna watch some Schroeter this weekend thx for reviving this thread (:

PS I want to know what your armchair psychologizing resulted in...

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 pm

wigwam wrote:
PS I want to know what your armchair psychologizing resulted in...
Nothing too deep. When the woman in my pic above (right) is in her nightgown and looking the worse for wear, it's quite a contrast to the sparkly dress and flowers of her imagination. There's a young man in the room in the former scenes. So I'm guessing Werner had a complex relationship (empathy, loathing) with his mother. (See also all the histrionic women and hapless, dying men, haha.) And that answers the question above about the Callas stills. I think they're probably both, yeah.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:41 am

Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness is a well-told story of creepy relationships, with a strong Persona influence. It's really good! I love the way the film itself is a sort of trick with mirrors. Perhaps it's a bit too schematic? It is right out of a psychology text book, but I think it works. Still, the most compelling parts leave things to the imagination – those brief flashbacks to childhood, the awkward figure of the mother.

Also, there's a clear sightline to the Berlin School here, though the drab colors wouldn't fit. There's the same everyday feel (work-life, cooking, driving), the slowly revealed uneasiness under those surfaces, the (very subtle) situational humor. I should revisit Jedi's thread to see if there's any mention of von Trotta.

Image Image

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am

Image Image

I had a hard time with Madame X: An Absolute Ruler. It gets off to a good start (pure Wes Anderson) as various women intercept a secret message calling them to adventure at sea. But once on board, it's a lot like Rivette's female pirate movie, Noroît, in that scenes go on so long I'd forget who was who. Not that characters or plot matter much, haha. There are some great bits (the food seduction, the bathing grotto, the do-over ending), and I enjoyed the silly sound effects; but overall it left me as cold as Daisies. I guess maybe these girls-gone-amuck movies aren't for me.

I did think of Kira Muratova once or twice, and wondered if the weird scene in The Asthenic Syndrome where some girls tear a fish to shreds was meant to echo the chopstick scene here:

Image Image

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:27 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
it left me as cold as Daisies.

Whart! :?:

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I guess maybe these girls-gone-amuck movies aren't for me.

That's fine. That's all the more amuck for me.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Whart! :?:
Yeah, I'm infamous around here for disliking that one.

Quote:
That's fine. That's all the more amuck for me.
Haha. You can have them!

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2