It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Love is the Beginning of All Terror: New German Cinema 66-86 
Post Re: Love is the Beginning of All Terror: New German Cinema 6

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Look what I got for Christmas:

Now I won't have trouble with subtitles anymore!

Wig, if I watch this, will you come back to talk about it?

Jealous. I asked for this for Christmas, but it wasn't to be. I think my father got sick of buying me Fassbinder's every year, even though I'm sure he has no idea who he is other than some artsy fartsy creep that his artsy fartsy creep of a son likes.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Jealous. I asked for this for Christmas, but it wasn't to be. I think my father got sick of buying me Fassbinder's every year, even though I'm sure he has no idea who he is other than some artsy fartsy creep that his artsy fartsy creep of a son likes.
Aw. :(

I actually got money and turned it into Fassbinder. :P

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Wig, if I watch this, will you come back to talk about it?

merry christmas! yes I will!! I love this one so much!!!

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 am

Image Image
Image Image

Circle of Deceit is the best I've seen by Volker Schlöndorff. It's gorgeous and horrific, sometimes at the same time! I hope it counts as NGC. I watched the extra features on the disc (well worth it, by the way) and it seems they carved out a peaceful section of Beirut where they could recreate battles that had actually taken place there five years earlier. There were places where their territory abutted actual war zones, though. So, while it feels like they're really dodging bullets, they're (mostly) not. Schlöndorff said Ganz was especially sensitive to the fact that they were adding chaos to already traumatized lives. But then he (Ganz) got to roll around on the floor with Hanna Schygulla, so that may have helped.

Back to my list, if that's where you want to go.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:44 am

def counts!! looks great too, howd you watch it? are those extras digitized online at all? I want!!!

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am

wigwam wrote:
def counts!! looks great too, howd you watch it? are those extras digitized online at all? I want!!!

Sent you a pm. It is pretty, isn't it?

I loved the way it captured the journalist's outsider frustration. They're helpless to do anything real; they don't even hope their reporting can change anything. And there's always the insidious adrenaline high from the danger.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3