It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 The Random Thoughts Thread 
Post Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Stu wrote:
Um, what the heck did I just witness?

I've seen this before, it's supposed to be a short film about what someone imagines you see before death

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Joss Whedon wrote:
I've seen this before, it's supposed to be a short film about what someone imagines you see before death
It's pretty messed up shit, huh? That concept of an actively hateful, nihilistic afterlife, that everything's all for naught, just freaks the absolute crap out of me, to be perfectly honest with you.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Stu wrote:
It's pretty messed up shit, huh? That concept of an actively hateful, nihilistic afterlife, that everything's all for naught, just freaks the absolute crap out of me, to be perfectly honest with you.[/quote
It's a despairing way to look at the whole universe, maybe it's right and we're all floating in a cold, indifferent void, but subconsciously I do hope that there is some point to existence.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Ever since a friend recommended that short to me a while back, I've grown a huge attachment to it ever since. It's so dark and disturbing, but in a compelling and creative way.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 am

But you're only 17. Probably still bizarrely fascinated with the idea that you'll have to die someday, but still feeling so good overall that it seems really abstract and impossible. At least that's how I was when I was 17. In fact, that summer was the only time in my life that I regularly slept until 11 a.m. each morning. One summer morning I awoke from a nightmare and I remember that I was crying into my pillow and murmuring, "Why was I born if I'm only going to have to die?" as if it were an accusation against the Universe.

Is the short anything like that sort of nihilistic? If so, then I've already seen it without watching it. ;)

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:16 am

Actually, I turned 18 on August 23rd.

Anyways, I sometimes think about death and what the afterlife has in store for me. I use to be a devout Christian when I was younger (probably because my parents were and still are Christians), but now, I'm not sure what I believe in. I haven't really been firm on a particular religion for quite some time. Despite this, I like seeing representations of the afterlife in media, especially dark ones (in fact, Enter the Void is one of my favorite films of the 2000's). It's fun to see the amount of absurd creativity that goes into them. Also, they tend to connect with me quite a bit.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:55 am

I was taken to church regularly until I was 16, when I left the Southern Baptist church that I had joined along with my family. Knowing only the Baptist church, I figured I'd find nothing different, and decided that God is nothing but a figment of human imagination and fear.

From 16 to 34 I was atheist and then agnostic.

At 34 I joined a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregation. Until that time I had thought all churches were alike. I'm still a member of that denomination where I am free to say that I am an Agnostic Christian, not sure that what I believe is true. And I even work for the congregation where I attend. It is so unlike the Southern Baptists that it's hard to believe it's the same general religion.

I trust that you will be fine in your walk through life. You may know only generally what you believe as time goes by. You'll think it all through.

And representations of the afterlife are fun in films and novels. I wrote Omri the Visitor as a fanciful exploration of one possible afterlife. Not twisted and gnarly, but--well the book is for readers of all ages.

One possibility about the afterlife is that we simply cannot imagine while alive that this state of being could ever totally vanish. I don't know whether it does or not.

But I wrote a short story when I was 16 that had a guy get injured, be taken to the ER, get operated on, then rise up toward a bright light, and see Jesus, and loved ones who had died before, and then he continued to rise toward the light until it engulfed him. And then the surrounding light began to diminish until it went out like the old CRT television did with a little dot center of the screen that fades to black after a few seconds. His spirit is no more. He is gone. And at the end of the story the attending surgeon says, "Time of death is 10:42 pm."

:D

I thought that was ironic and cool when I was 16.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Ever since a friend recommended that short to me a while back, I've grown a huge attachment to it ever since. It's so dark and disturbing, but in a compelling and creative way.
That being said, though, the goal of the creatures in the short felt unclear to me:
I mean, are they punishing the guy for failing to save the lives of certain people in his life, or for mistakenly believing that his life held some sort of purpose? I think the latter option is a much more interesting,
original take on the afterlife then the traditional "you get punished or rewarded according to all the good or evil you did (or didn't) do in your life", but if that's the case, then the fact of him failing to save those people is just a red herring, and the creatures should have no interest in that, if they're just going to punish him anyway.

Seems like something the creator should've ironed out in the rough-draft stage, y'know?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:15 am

Stu wrote:
That being said, though, the goal of the creatures in the short felt unclear to me:
I mean, are they punishing the guy for failing to save the lives of certain people in his life, or for mistakenly believing that his life held some sort of purpose? I think the latter option is a much more interesting,
original take on the afterlife then the traditional "you get punished or rewarded according to all the good or evil you did (or didn't) do in your life", but if that's the case, then the fact of him failing to save those people is just a red herring, and the creatures should have no interest in that, if they're just going to punish him anyway.

Seems like something the creator should've ironed out in the rough-draft stage, y'know?

I feel like the film's point is to have you theorize on the minimal information provided about where he is/what's going to come of him.
Perhaps, the interview is there to test how he deals with his pent up emotions and how well he's able to let go of his past troubles, and depending on how he reacts could leads him to his next 'job' (that's not to say that he'll be given a torturous job though). Although, I'm sure there are other interpretations one could have for it. This is just my take. Anyways, I loved this short, because it has a great concept, great visuals, and great sound design.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:20 am

I think the film's point is to express the point of view that we don't know jack about any afterlife there may be.

But we certainly have opinions.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:40 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I feel like the film's point is to have you theorize on the minimal information provided about where he is/what's going to come of him.
Perhaps, the interview is there to test how he deals with his pent up emotions and how well he's able to let go of his past troubles, and depending on how he reacts could leads him to his next 'job' (that's not to say that he'll be given a torturous job though). Although, I'm sure there are other interpretations one could have for it. This is just my take. Anyways, I loved this short, because it has a great concept, great visuals, and great sound design.
Yeah, the visuals, mood, and ultimate message of it were all pretty disturbing stuff; whoever made it should think about trying to make the leap into full-length films someday (possibly also an animated horror deal), I think.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:52 am

Stu wrote:
Yeah, the visuals, mood, and ultimate message of it were all pretty disturbing stuff; whoever made it should think about trying to make the leap into full-length films someday (possibly also an animated horror deal), I think.

I checked out his youtube account out of curiosity. He has quite a few disturbing videos on it. Here's a few of them. The first and third ones are songs and the middle one is some weird sort of mock documentary of some kind (I really don't know what to call it).

Here's his account.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:12 am

Hey Pops, I just checked out the favorite films list in your signature, and on a theoritical full list of my own favorites, out of the ones I've seen from your's, I would leave out A Clockwork Orange, The Killing, Taxi Driver, In A Lonely Place, Children Of Men, & The Thing; not to suggest that they aren't all still good movies in their own right, just that I never quite liked them enough to kill any of them favorites. On the other hand, 2001, Saving Private Ryan, and possibly also One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (I only saw it once a decade ago, so I'm overdue for a rewatch) would all probably be shoe-ins for my own full list, in the future. As things stand now, I only have a couple of films I consider near-perfection on my own Letterboxd list of favorites because I only add movies once I've finished my review of them, which takes a while, especially since I've started going to the theaters a lot this year to review current releases, but I am still working on reviewing my old favorites, including a work-in-progress review of WALL-E soon. Anyway, check it out!

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Stu wrote:
Hey Pops, I just checked out the favorite films list in your signature, and on a theoritical full list of my own favorites, out of the ones I've seen from your's, I would leave out A Clockwork Orange, The Killing, Taxi Driver, In A Lonely Place, Children Of Men, & The Thing; not to suggest that they aren't all still good movies in their own right, just that I never quite liked them enough to kill any of them favorites. On the other hand, 2001, Saving Private Ryan, and possibly also One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (I only saw it once a decade ago, so I'm overdue for a rewatch) would all probably be shoe-ins for my own full list, in the future. As things stand now, I only have a couple of films I consider near-perfection on my own Letterboxd list of favorites because I only add movies once I've finished my review of them, which takes a while, especially since I've started going to the theaters a lot this year to review current releases, but I am still working on reviewing my old favorites, including a work-in-progress review of WALL-E soon. Anyway, check it out!

Thank you for checking out my list. I'm also glad that you're a huge fan of SPR. I sometimes feel alone when I talk about how great I think it is. I've heard some people on RT say The Thin Red Line is a better film, but I still prefer SPR over it. The Thin Red Line is a good film, but it could've been much better.

Out of curiosity, are there any films on my list which you haven't seen yet? If so, which ones are they? As for your list, I haven't seen In Cold Blood and Unforgiven. As for the other 4 films, however, I rated them 9/10, meaning that I would give them recognition in a "Best Movies of All Time" list (I think I told you this before on RT, but my rating system has gotten much stricter over time; I've only given 16 10/10's so far).

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:30 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thank you for checking out my list. I'm also glad that you're a huge fan of SPR. I sometimes feel alone when I talk about how great I think it is. I've heard some people on RT say The Thin Red Line is a better film, but I still prefer SPR over it. The Thin Red Line is a good film, but it could've been much better.

Out of curiosity, are there any films on my list which you haven't seen yet? If so, which ones are they? As for your list, I haven't seen In Cold Blood and Unforgiven. As for the other 4 films, however, I rated them 9/10, meaning that I would give them recognition in a "Best Movies of All Time" list (I think I told you this before on RT, but my rating system has gotten much stricter over time; I've only given 16 10/10's so far).
I've never actually seen Thin Red Line, though I've heard plenty of great things about it, so I do want to eventually. Anyway, it's been a while since I've seen Private Ryan, so I can't be sure that it'll hold up exactly as well as it did when I first saw it as a 16 year-old, but still, at the time it become an instant favorite of mine as soon as the credits started rolling, so I am hoping it'll stay that good for me whenever I check it out again.

Anyway, I haven't seen any of the films I didn't comment on in my initial response (I know, I know, I've got some catching up to do), and as for the 2 on mine you haven't seen, Unforgiven's a great pick if you're looking to catch up on Best Picture winners (as well as just if you're in the mood for a great, classic revisionist Western, one that almost feels like the last Western movie anyone should've made, really), while In Cold Blood is an strong, intense Capote adaptation, and an underrated, ahead of its time classic from one of the most important years in cinema history; check 'em out!

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3