It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Movies We Watched for Halloween Month 2017 
Post The Movies We Watched for Halloween Month 2017

Death Note (2017)

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm
Post Re: The Movies We Watched for Halloween Month 2017

Can we include non-Horrors we happened to watch in October here as well, or is that a no-no?

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:16 am

Hey, I just started a thread to see what people would do with it. Consider it your thread. No rules.

Hmm. The title seems to insinuate that it's merely "movies we watched" so that would appear to include any movie, eh? I was thinking of Halloweeny type films, but it doesn't say "only harruh" movies. :D

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:31 am

I'm even going to list two I watched just before October rose above the horizon.

A Monster Calls (2016)

Get Out (2017)

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:33 am

I actually watched this on September 30th, but close enough.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) - 9/10

I was dying to watch this film for quite some time due to its enormous cult following. I was not disappointed at all. A lot of its strengths lie in the first act as the buildup doesn't show anyone being taken over by the aliens. It chooses to create ambiguity over whether certain characters were taken over or not. If a character simply goes off screen, even for a short time, that character becomes suspicious as anything could have happened during that time. Because of this, the film seems to work in the same way as Carpenter's The Thing. Even after the movie introduces the pods, the movie is not weakened in any way as the atmosphere gets more claustrophobic. Finally, I loved the ending. Cliffhangers usually don't do much for me, but the one in this movie was effective due to how unsettling it was. Horror isn't my favorite genre (I usually don't rate any horror films higher than 8/10), but this film was near perfect in my opinion. I'm going to watch the 1978 version soon.

I plan to watch the 1978 remake this weekend. I don't know what other horror movies to watch this month though. Any recommendations?

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 am

Do you have Netflix streaming, Popcorn?

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 am

Gerald's Game owns. Watch that.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 am

Gort wrote:
Do you have Netflix streaming, Popcorn?

I used to, but not anymore.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:59 am

The Woman (2011) its trash, don't even.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Gort wrote:
I'm even going to list two I watched just before October rose above the horizon.

A Monster Calls (2016)

Get Out (2017)
What did you think about Get Out, Gort? I know it's gotten a lot of love, but I was conflicted on it, personally.
Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I don't know what other horror movies to watch this month though. Any recommendations?
Ever seen Evil Dead II?

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:05 am

Stu wrote:
Ever seen Evil Dead II?

Yep.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:46 am

Trip wrote:
Gerald's Game owns. Watch that.

I remember being hyped for that movie when I first heard about it. I completely forgot about it though, so thanks for mentioning it. I'll definitely check it out.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:04 am

Saw the restoration of Suspiria on the big screen last night. It looks real good. As my friend noted: "Maybe crisper than Argento ever intended."

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:59 am

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946). Seems like a horror movie to me. Wanted to see what it was like to watch it when I didn't have to write about it.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:03 am

Stu wrote:
What did you think about Get Out, Gort? I know it's gotten a lot of love, but I was conflicted on it, personally.

A lot of horror movies are like that. You like parts and dislike others, and hardly any of them seem to hang together all the way through. It's almost as if they should stop immediately after the big reveal, without the tacked-on resolution. I don't think a white guy could have thought of the film, and that was my biggest impetus for watching it. I thought it was a pretty good effort for a first film. Not perfect. Not one I'd crave to see again, but I didn't find anything about it to dislike. Which means I might watch it again someday to see what I missed the first time through.

And the ending is quite clever. You learn a couple of things that maybe didn't occur to you and the revelations help things fit together, plus the ending that you think is happening isn't the ending that happens. But then it's all hanging there, like the traffic ticket at the end of The Confirmation, a possibility for further developments that you know will change things.

Peele lets us finish the story, in effect. I think that's pretty good. Most writers are not that generous these days.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:14 am

Macrology wrote:
Saw the restoration of Suspiria on the big screen last night. It looks real good. As my friend noted: "Maybe crisper than Argento ever intended."

I saw it years ago on a DVD that looked like it was dubbed from a second-generation VHS tape. Obviously not the restored version! Definitely fuzzier than Argento intended.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 am

So far:

Bite (okay)
The Black Torment (solid)
Blair Witch (2016, decent)
Mother (great)

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Angel Heart (1987) De Niro displays some rare range.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:18 am

Holidays (2016).

Watched only once, although due to network lag I clicked twice and it's in Trends an extra time.

I'm not going to watch it again in order to make Trends true. 8-)

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Bride of Frankenstein lives up to its reputation. Now viewing Crawlspace, which is a nasty bit of work. Love the set design and Kinski being Kinski.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Gort wrote:
A lot of horror movies are like that. You like parts and dislike others, and hardly any of them seem to hang together all the way through. It's almost as if they should stop immediately after the big reveal, without the tacked-on resolution. I don't think a white guy could have thought of the film, and that was my biggest impetus for watching it. I thought it was a pretty good effort for a first film. Not perfect. Not one I'd crave to see again, but I didn't find anything about it to dislike. Which means I might watch it again someday to see what I missed the first time through.

And the ending is quite clever. You learn a couple of things that maybe didn't occur to you and the revelations help things fit together, plus the ending that you think is happening isn't the ending that happens. But then it's all hanging there, like the traffic ticket at the end of The Confirmation, a possibility for further developments that you know will change things.

Peele lets us finish the story, in effect. I think that's pretty good. Most writers are not that generous these days.
Personally, I felt Get Out had a strong 3rd act, starting from the point when
Chris discovers his "girlfriend"'s little photo album; I didn't anticipate the twist that all the black people in that neighborhood had had their brains (and bodies) stolen from them by white people,
and it finally delivered on all the gory, over-the-top, Horror thrills the film had mostly been holding back on beforehand, without also just devolving into mindless bloodletting, as the visceral horrors were happening side-by-side onscreen at the same time as the intriguing new story details are developing, sharing space with them and adding a new dimension to the overall experience.

That being said, however, overall I'd still have to say it was a mild disappointment; the first 2 acts of GO weren't bad or anything, but they were inconsistently engaging, as they were mostly just a series of moments of people acting vaguely creepy that weren't nearly scary or intriguing enough to gets its hooks in me fully. Even if you hadn't seen any promotional material for the film beforehand, it's immediately apparent that something's up with this neighborhood, so the trick is to make the hinting at that dark secret early on compelling to watch, while putting off the more concrete plot developments for later. Sadly, I just don't feel Peele's directorial style was vivid enough in any way to make all these low-key scenes of people mostly just talking to one another come "alive" in the way that they could have. Still, certainly not a complete waste of a film on the whole though, and Peele does show a lot of unfulfilled potential as a director in general, so I'm definitely looking forward to his next project, and hoping he'll do better with that one.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:56 am

Gerald's Game (2017) - 8/10

This is the 2nd film I've seen from Mike Flanagan (the first one being Hush). One thing I like about Flanagan is that he's able to turn minimalistic plots into thoroughly engaging and terrifying thrillers which linger with the viewer long after viewing them. Considering this film's simplistic plot, I felt like it would've needed to be drawn out quite a bit to reach a time limit of 90 minutes, but this film went several minutes over that time limit without growing boring at all. It remained suspenseful and unsettling throughout its entirety. I think the main reason this film is terrifying is because it's easy to lose grip on what's real and what isn't real. For instance, the flashbacks/dreams/hallucinations were woven into the film expertly, especially when scenes from the bed were mixed into them. Also, the ambiguity of the moonlight man was compelling due to its plausibility. Finally, the ending was great. I enjoyed Hush a bit more, but this was still a great film.

On a side note, I'm going to watch the remake to Invasion of the Body Snatchers tomorrow.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Bite (okay)
The Black Torment (solid)
Blair Witch (2016, decent)
Mother (great)
Bride of Frankenstein (radical)
Crawlspace (underrated)
A Cure For Wellness (eh)
Urban Legend (fun)

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - 8/10

In my experiences, movie remakes have usually been inferior to the originals. On rare occasions, however, I come across a remake which improves upon the original version. While this isn't one of those instances, it was still a great film as it captured the different aspects which made the original film so good such as not showing anybody being taken over by the aliens throughout the first act, maintaining a claustrophobic atmosphere throughout the 2nd half, and containing an unsettling ending (which, to be honest, was better than the one from the '56 version). On top of that, I also liked the acting and the special effects. Despite this, however, I still prefer the original version, because, while this version captured the strengths of the original film, I don't think it had enough additional strengths to make it an improved version. It's still an outstanding remake though.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:54 am

going to see the walking dead 1st season

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Does Blade Runner 2049 count as a halloween movie? :p

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 am
Profile YIM

The first time I watched Blade Runner it was in October of, either 1982 or 1983, on HBO. So I think of it as a Halloween movie!

I watched a Halloweeny TV show: Black Mirror S2 E1 'Be Right Back'

Also, non-Halloween fare, but nonetheless scary to some people: Handsome Devil (2016) and Speech and Debate (2017)

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:25 am

Stu wrote:
Still, certainly not a complete waste of a film on the whole though, and Peele does show a lot of unfulfilled potential as a director in general, so I'm definitely looking forward to his next project, and hoping he'll do better with that one.

I always offer directors a handicap if it's their first feature, or the first they have done in a particular genre. :D

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:27 am

I watched both Blade Runners. 2049 in 3D. Not worth it in 3D. Or maybe my theater didn't configure it correctly because I could barely read certain text and the movie was already dark enough.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:18 am
Profile YIM

I've always had a bit of a weird relationship with Blade Runner; on the one hand, I feel that Scott tried too hard to make it a cryptic, dehumanizing, alienating experience, with a main character that's much less interesting than the antagonist, and a tacked-on romantic interest in Rachel... but on the other hand, watching it when I was just 13 (the theatrical cut, no less!), and just beginning to start watching movies in a more "serious" manner, its incredible atmosphere still left a serious impression on the younger me, and overall, it was one of the first movies to help me appreciate something that didn't have much of what you could call a "traditional" entertainment value.

Anyway, while I didn't find 2049 to be perfect either (for similar reasons), I still liked pretty well as well, so I plan on reviewing it soon-ish anyway.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am

I have never gotten around to reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Have you read the novel?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Hocus Pocus (1993)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
The Possession (2012)
The Faculty (1998)
Corpse Bride (2005)
The Conjuring (2013)

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Just saw Blade Runner 2049, and just like the original, if you don't expect a lot of thematic heavy-lifting and are willing to let it be a beautifully realized movie more entranced with its aesthetic than its ideas, it's a phenomenal film. Its emotional nuance is more developed than its intellectual nuance, and I think that's to its credit.

I have read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Some of the fundamental characters and tropes are the same, but the stories diverge quite a bit. In Blade Runner the humanity question is of vital importance; in the novel, it's more smoke and mirrors play. Definitely worth reading, though. Makes for an interesting companion piece if you like the movies.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 am

Burying the Ex (2014) is playing on Netflix this month.

Avoid it.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:33 am

Gort wrote:
Burying the Ex (2014) is playing on Netflix this month.

Avoid it.

Bummer. Later day Joe Dante seems hit and miss.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:50 pm

It would have qualified for the Baker's Dozen Game when we were naming films that had great pedigrees but were disappointments. This one is, I am sad to say, the only genuinely bad movie I ever saw Anton Yelchin in.

Some of the jokes are funny. But the presentation is lackluster. It was crowd-funded. But I've seen several really well-made crowd-funded flicks, so that didn't scare me away.

I was watching it hoping that at some point it would get fresh. Never did. [sigh]

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 am

Resolution was a better comedy than supernatural mystery (horror is a stretch), yet still p lame.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:10 am

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) was enjoyable, but it lacked the discovery phase that was...well, the entire first film.

It also wsan't much of a horror movie. ;)

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Does the Great Pumpkin count as a film?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile YIM

It was originally produced on film wasn't it? So it's a short film. Of course!

Or is there a later version?

Wait, maybe I better go educate myself.

[Googles "the great pumpkin"]

Okay. That's the one I was thinking about.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:40 am

Chronicle (2012) third viewing.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:19 am

Beyond the Gates- Possibly the worst piece of garbage ever made.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:21 am

Hugo (2012). Third viewing.

They went like this: DVD in 2012. Blu-ray 2D in 2014. Blu-ray 3D tonight.

Was not in the mood for traditional Halloween month film tonight.

Hugo always makes me cry (happy tears).

It gets better. But each time I watch I can see Asa Butterfield acting more and more, and Chloë Grace Moretz seems more and more authentic. Not sure why.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:21 am

And the 3D?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 pm
Profile YIM

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Blood and Black Lace

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Ace wrote:
And the 3D?

The 3D for Hugo is beautiful. One thing I didn't expect is that Scorsese converted the old Melies films to 3D in places. Sometimes subtly, but sometimes quite noticeably. The first time we see them, though, they are 2D. The 3D versions play in the tribute near the end of the film.

I read that James Cameron told Scorsese that the 3D in Hugo was the best he had ever seen, including his own films. That's in the trivia section on IMDb for the film. I wonder if that's true.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:05 am

The Cowboys (1972). First saw it 45 years ago. Have seen it twice since.

There is no monster more hideous than Asa Watts.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 am

Gort wrote:
The 3D for Hugo is beautiful. One thing I didn't expect is that Scorsese converted the old Melies films to 3D in places. Sometimes subtly, but sometimes quite noticeably. The first time we see them, though, they are 2D. The 3D versions play in the tribute near the end of the film.

I read that James Cameron told Scorsese that the 3D in Hugo was the best he had ever seen, including his own films. That's in the trivia section on IMDb for the film. I wonder if that's true.

Pretty sure it was. It was the BESt movie with GREAT 3D. While Avatar was a GOOD movie with GOOD 3D. That it got beat out on by HTTYD and Gravity and of course Hugo.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm
Profile YIM

Black Mirror "Playtest" (2016)

Now that was Halloweenish.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Macrology wrote:
Blood and Black Lace

to die for

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next