It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Movies We Watched for Halloween Month 2017 
Post Re: The Movies We Watched for Halloween Month 2017

Annabelle Creation needed rewriting. Messy handle on characters. Direction is sharp though and I'm eager to watch him grow.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:44 pm

The Light's Out director? Didn't he sell out and is directing that Shazam! movie for Warner bros?

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 pm
Profile YIM

I don't see how that's selling out

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm watching Raw, if the buffering doesn't slow the film down too much I may luckily get through it.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:08 am

It Follows (2014).

Pretty darn good. Watching it reminded me a lot of the first time I saw Carpenter's Halloween film.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:42 pm

You're a Rat Bastard Charlie Brown
Bold choice to have Al Pacino play Charlie Brown. :P

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:51 pm
Profile YIM

The Uninvited

Based on the Criterion cover I expected someone to float in this movie. No one floats. 0/10

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956).

In the past 61 years my mother had never seen it. She said it was not scary, but it was mixed up.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am

Now show her all the bad remakes haha.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am
Profile YIM

I think I'll skip that. But thanks for the suggestion.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am

Black Mirror "Shut Up and Dance"

Grim.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am

as of now I think A Ghost Story is the best movie of the year

I finally got over my nausea from that shamefully manipulative death at the end of Train to Busan.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:50 am

Ace wrote:
Now show her all the bad remakes haha.
I thought the 1978 version was supposed to be one of the best remakes of all time... Popcorn?
Joss Whedon wrote:
as of now I think A Ghost Story is the best movie of the year.
Still need to try to see that one some time. As for what I have seen from this year so far, I still feel Dunkirk is the best movie of 2017 to date; did you ever see that one?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 am

Stu wrote:
Still need to try to see that one some time. As for what I have seen from this year so far, I still feel Dunkirk is the best movie of 2017 to date; did you ever see that one?

Dunkirk has a lot going for it. I was mesmerized by the use of 70mm film, especially in those air scenes, you really get the feeling of being completely lost when the sea and sky no longer look distinguishable. It felt like the kind of war film John Ford may have made. I can't imagine it losing a spot on my top ten list this year.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:30 am

Caltiki il mostro immortale (1959) in English this time.

When I got the Blu-ray in April I watched with the original Italian language track and saved the English version for Halloween Month.

Mario Bava's first (uncredited) directorial effort. He was hired to do the special effects and wound up also directing a lot of the live action scenes and overseeing the edit. I've never seen so much tripe in a movie! (The monster was everted cow intestines. ;) )

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:40 am

Joss Whedon wrote:

Dunkirk has a lot going for it. I was mesmerized by the use of 70mm film, especially in those air scenes, you really get the feeling of being completely lost when the sea and sky no longer look distinguishable. It felt like the kind of war film John Ford may have made. I can't imagine it losing a spot on my top ten list this year.
Agreed; it felt like a more intense, modern-day Black Hawk Down war film, but combined with the sort of epic historical spectacle that we don't seem to see much out of Hollywood anymore, but (mostly) without the overbearing sentimentality or corniness that sometimes plagued old-school war movies. That, combined with its relative de-emphasis on current star power, give the whole affair this sort of timeless feel to it that I know will help it age well over the coming years. So yeah... a good, really freaking good movie.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:15 am

What the hell!? I posted this in the wrong thread last night. Ha ha. Must have been too old and tired.

Transplanting...

Lore (2017) was a Saturday-evening binge-watch. It's an Amazon series with 6 episodes. Four of the episodes are mostly cool dramatizations of bizarre events from the past. Ep 1 offers an obscure fact: that the newspaper reports of the incidents reported in the episode went world-wide, and Brahm Stoker had a clipping of one such article in his materials that led him to write Dracula. But, generally, as the episodes get higher in number, the less factual they are and the more speculative they become. You can find little to believe in the other two episodes.

IMDb Synopsis wrote:
Blending dramatic scenes, animation, archive and narration, Lore reveals how our horror legends - such as vampires, werewolves and body snatchers - are rooted in truth.
"Rooted" is the key word, here. And it is interesting to see the stories. One reviewer bemoaned the narration that breaks up the dramatizations within the episodes, but that's a matter of personal taste. I found nothing off-putting about any of the structure of the series. This is the difference between a dramatic series like The Twilight Zone and a documentary series such as Lore. The doc tends to want to ground the story in reality whereas the drama wants to just chill your bones. Lore does both in several places.

I find episode 6 to be beyond belief. But it serves as a source for creepy doll dramas like Devil Doll (1964) and the TZ episode "Living Doll" with the little Talking Tina doll that kills daddy, as well as the Chucky series. I think some people were creeped out by dolls and by ventriloquist's dummies long before the early 20th century, though.

If you own a Prime account, Lore streams as part of Amazon Prime.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 am

Mindhunter (2017) Ep 2 and Ep 3.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:57 am

I finished watching the first Thor movie for the first time this morning in preparation for Ragnarok next month, and, while it isn't a Horror movie (unless your greatest fear happens to be endless Dutch angles), it's only the 2nd movie I've watched so far this month, and I don't want to write a full review of it in the Recently Seen thread, so I felt like posting something about it in here anyway. Long story short, it was a somewhat better film than I feared based off of its average score back at The Other Place, but I still can't quite say it lived up to its full potential in the end.

The best parts of it were the more dramatic moments; while the film occasionally veers too much into overbearing melodrama, the Shakespearean dynamics and palace intrigue amongst the film's royal family and the various realms within it were surprisingly potent and emotional (especially between Loki & Thor, naturally), but I guess that shouldn't be too big a surprise, considering that Sir Kenneth Branagh himself is the one directing. On the other hand, the film suffers during when trying to gear up to "big superhero setpiece" mode, overdosing on frantic action and gaudy, plastic-y looking computer generated imagery, which (along with the aforementioned obnoxious Dutch angles) end up smothering the movie somewhat.

In addition to that, a lot of the Earthbound material in Thor is fairly lackluster, relying too much on obnoxious comic relief from the supporting/bit part characters, and unfunny fish-out-of-water humor with the powerless Thor. The love story with Jane was underwhelming, and almost everything that happened on Earth here felt rather unnecessary, and overly disconnected from the events taking place on Asgaard and elsewhere, even though the two settings were meant to dovetail more closely than that. Seems to me that the film maybe should have just taken place entirely within the heavenly fantasy realms ala most of the Guardians Of The Galaxys, and focused more on Thor's coming-of-age struggles, rather than just fast-forwarding through that so they could find an excuse to dump him down to Earth. So, while Thor certainly isn't a bad movie, it still wasn't quite as good as it should've been; here's to the new one being better!

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:08 am

I hope the second one doesn't disappoint you!

Just finished Stranger Things S1Ep1 and Ep2. They say the second season is not a continuation of the first, but it's been a year since I saw it, so I decided it's well-done enough to see twice. And I've forgotten a lot of details from it.

87-year old mom was game to watch. When my nephew asked her if she liked it, near the end of Ep 2, she said, "I don't really know what's going on."

I remembered that in last year's first viewing at the end of Ep 2, neither did I.

It's interesting to see it again, when I do know what's going on. It doesn't diminish anything about it. At all.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Now you can buy the VHS Bluray. :p

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 am
Profile YIM

Haha! Yeah!

I tell you, I haven't bought any Blu's yet that seemed to be VHS quality, but I've bought a handful of DVDs that looked like they were ported over from a VHS tape. Probably due to high compression ratios.

But possibly due to being ported from a VHS tape. The first were some early John Wayne films on DVDs that I got in the late 1990s. The latest was a pair of the earliest Tarzan flicks that I bought for the now-abandoned Remake Multimatch of Tarzan across the ages.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 am

Gort wrote:
Haha! Yeah!

I tell you, I haven't bought any Blu's yet that seemed to be VHS quality, but I've bought a handful of DVDs that looked like they were ported over from a VHS tape. Probably due to high compression ratios.

But possibly due to being ported from a VHS tape. The first were some early John Wayne films on DVDs that I got in the late 1990s. The latest was a pair of the earliest Tarzan flicks that I bought for the now-abandoned Remake Multimatch of Tarzan across the ages.

I think the closest you can get to VHS quality is the 28 days later blu. Cuz that was shot on a DV cam for a lot of it. So it doesn't look that good at a high resolution.

https://www.target.com/p/x/-/A-52823816 ... v_xasd0002
There's the strangers thing Bluray with the VHS box. :P

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 am
Profile YIM

Stranger Things S1Ep3 & Ep4

Knowing what happens makes it seem like it gets to plot points more quickly than it seemed to the first time. Several events that I remembered as coming later in the series have already taken place. Then again, there is one shot I thought I recalled and it seemed like it should be past already, and I haven't seen it yet.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:53 am

Stranger Things S1Ep5 & Ep6.

Get to see the conclusion again tomorrow night. It's making more sense to the 87-year old first-time viewer by this point.

It must be difficult to understand movies and mini-series plots when your short term memory isn't fully functional. There are a lot of things about aging I never thought about until I became the care-giver for Mom. For example, at first she didn't believe that she had memory trouble, back 6 or 7 years ago. I realized that if you have short-term memory problems you might not remember that...you have memory problems. After three TIAs in two months she became aware that her memory is not as fluid as it used to be.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 am

Aaaaand...
Stranger Things S1Ep7 & Ep8.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:14 am

Because of a discussion going on in the Criterion thread, I decided to read the non-spoiler version of the article about the series Stranger Things 2 at Vox.com. I already know I want to watch it, and don't need to know anything but that I enjoyed the first season. :D

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:02 am

I re-watched The Phantom Carriage as I bought it recently, and I still love it. I found its plot to be highly interesting as it felt dark and unsettling. I also liked the special effects of the ghosts as they looked great for the year the film was made in. Most importantly, I appreciate that this film works both as a disturbing horror story and a compelling character study. Finally, I appreciate it for the influence it had on Kubrick and Bergman.

9/10

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 am

I saw that for the first time last week because it was recommended as a horror film. What struck me most about the difference in horror in this film and those made 60 years later is that the fear comes from the character having to spend eternity in torment. We don't see that type of narrative these days. On a side note, I think Sjostrom gave a performance that doesn't even look like the typical silent performances of the day

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Joss Whedon wrote:
I saw that for the first time last week because it was recommended as a horror film. What struck me most about the difference in horror in this film and those made 60 years later is that the fear comes from the character having to spend eternity in torment. We don't see that type of narrative these days. On a side note, I think Sjostrom gave a performance that doesn't even look like the typical silent performances of the day

Agreed. I also loved the KTL soundtrack on the Criterion DVD. It felt perfectly timed and atmospheric. I haven't listened to the Matti Bye soundtrack yet, but I'll probably check it out soon.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:22 am

Ah, so The Phantom Carriage disc is one of those with your choice of soundtracks to accompany a silent film? I like those.

Have you watched the reconstructed version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927) from either the 2002 (DVD) or 2010 (Blu-ray) releases with the original Gottfried Huppertz score played by a full orchestra?

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 am

Gort wrote:
Ah, so The Phantom Carriage disc is one of those with your choice of soundtracks to accompany a silent film? I like those.

Have you watched the reconstructed version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927) from either the 2002 (DVD) or 2010 (Blu-ray) releases with the original Gottfried Huppertz score played by a full orchestra?

I haven't watched Metropolis yet. The only Lang film I've seen is M. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:49 am

Finished Stranger Things Season 2 tonight.

Season Two feels much more like a comic book than season one does. It doesn't have very many of the beats of a super-hero movie, but the plot developments and tropes reminded me heavily of various genres of comics. I enjoyed it just as much as I did season one. I hope they stray farther from the season one mainstays in seasons three and four.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 am

Gort wrote:
I hope the second one doesn't disappoint you!
I was thinking about watching it a couple of nights ago, but I decided to watch something else instead (albeit, still Thor-related, since it was directed by the same guy who's directing Ragnarok); What We Do In The Shadows. I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I hoped I would, but that's probably more due to me being kind of weak on Comedies overall as a genre, rather than the film itself not living up to its potential, so take that with a grain of salt. Anyway, the lazy way of describing the film would be to say it's Dracula meets a This Is Spinal Tap-style mockumentary, but it's a fairly accurate description nonetheless. It gets a lot of milage out of the contrast of classic vampire cliches (and horror movie cliches in general) with its consistently silly tone, as there's never really any real sense of danger to the proceedings, even during the moments where there would be in any normal vampire flick. But, the point IS that WWDITS isn't a "normal" vampire film, where is where its overall sense of light, breezy fun comes in, which is what ultimately makes it worth watching, regardless of anyone's expectations to the contrary.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Stu wrote:
What We Do In The Shadows. I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I hoped I would, ... It gets a lot of mileage out of the contrast of classic vampire cliches (and horror movie cliches in general) with its consistently silly tone,

Yeah. I didn't enjoy it very much. I wanted it to be funnier than it turned out to be. And it was more silly than funny. I don't recall even cracking a smile. It is difficult to do the kind of thing that This is Spinal Tap managed. I don't put anyone down for trying something, but when I was reading all the raves about WWDITS, and then watched it, I had the opposite reaction from when I see a film and love it and someone else sees it and doesn't. The same phrase is used in both situations, though: "Did you even see the same film I saw!??!"

The short answer in both cases, of course is, "No." :D

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:58 pm

There's another New Zealand comedy-horror that doesn't get much attention, I saw it last night, Housebound it is about a woman who has to move back in with her mother because she's under house arrest. I thought it was a very strong and creative entry into the haunted house genre.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:06 pm

So that's our list of movies, etc. that we watched during October 2017.

My Halloween night number was a rewatch of the 3D Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954). It was the second time I had seen it in 3D (I think) without listening to the commentary track.

I noticed that by and large, the use of 3D effects in that early 3D film hewed closely to the modern use. For depth. There are only a handful of shots where the objects on screen project into negative-Z space, and only for a few seconds at a time.
Most of my fright flick month this year was spent watching a few Black Mirror episodes, rewatching Stranger Things (2016) and viewing the second season called Stranger Things 2 (2017). I even sat through the episodes of a Netflix behind-the screams series called Beyond Stranger Things (2017). I also binge-watched a documentary horror series from Netflix entitled Lore (2017).

I saw very few first-time horror films last month. Get Out (2017), Death Note (2017), Burying the Ex (2014), and It Follows (2014) were the only features I saw that were new to me. Rewatches included Chronicle (2012), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), Caltiki, the Undying Monster (1959) and the Black Lagoon film.

Whether these were theatrical films, Flix originals or television episodes, they were all watched on the 55" home screen. I had no chance to venture into actual cinema theater space this year.

I'm not sure what the most enjoyable viewing was, but Burying the Ex (2014) was clearly the worst of what I saw.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:33 pm
Post Re: Thor Dark World?

I actually watched one more movie in October just before the month was over, which was Thor: The Dark World. Again, like the original, it had some solid dramatic material in it, and it was somewhat better than I expected it to be, but it still failed to live up to its potential by insisting on shoehorning in the Earthside characters and the unnecessary comic relief they bring with them, while neglecting the Asgaardian supporting players as a result. The titular "Dark World" was also just hideous to look at, and there was never any reason to be engaged with the lead baddie's supposedly "universe-ending" threat, as there never felt like there was any danger of that actually happening. So, so far, the Thors are probably the weakest Marvel series to date, but, I'm still hopeful that Ragnarok can turn that around when I go see it sometime today.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2