It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:31 pm



Reply to topic  [ 1975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 40  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Author Message
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Mexico Barbaro, The Open House, Night School, Ravenous, The Awakening, The Boy, Psycho II, He Knows You're Alone, The Dunwitch Horror, Student Bodies, Return To Horror High, Happy Birthday To Me, Late Phases, Blood Creek, Dark Mirror, I see all these in my queue, should I spin one of these? What about Subspecies, is that actually watchable?
Anything else anybody can think of?

Ravenous- Great cast been meaning to rewatch it. I remember thinking it a tonal mess with a terrible score but it is loved.

The Awakening - solid haunted house stuff. If you like the Others and the Orphanage, it's not too far beneath them.

Happy Birthday to Me- I'm a big fan. The closest I've seen an American slasher come to giallo. The climax is one of the most ludicrous and wonderful things in cult horror.

Late Phases- thoroughly mediocre which puts it in the upper tier of werewolf films.


Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
thoroughly mediocre which puts it in the upper tier of werewolf films.


This is such a depressingly accurate statement.


Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

This is such a depressingly accurate statement.

Werewolves and sharks have the inverse track record of their intrinsic awesomeness.

Don't even get me started on weresharks.


Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Mexico Barbaro, The Open House, Night School, Ravenous, The Awakening, The Boy, Psycho II, He Knows You're Alone, The Dunwitch Horror, Student Bodies, Return To Horror High, Happy Birthday To Me, Late Phases, Blood Creek, Dark Mirror, I see all these in my queue, should I spin one of these? What about Subspecies, is that actually watchable?
Anything else anybody can think of?


The Boy: I was planning on seeing this one later this month. Not a recommendation as much as it's something we got in common on our queues.

Student Bodies: It kinda peters out in the second half, but it's certainly more potent than most of the Scary Movies for laughs. Real laughs.

Of the ones mentioned that I hadn't gotten to, I'd say Ravenous, Happy Birthday to Me, and Late Phases appear the most promising. Something tells me you'll dig Return to Horror High, though.


Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:51 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Werewolves and sharks have the inverse track record of their intrinsic awesomeness.

Don't even get me started on weresharks.


The Ginger Snaps trilogy makes up 3/5 of my top five werewolf films. You've got American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers and . . . ?

I read a book a year or two ago called Sharp Teeth which did something really cool and innovative with werewolf mythology. I'd love to see it made into a film, though I doubt it would ever happen. I'd highly recommend it to anyone--and it's written in free verse, so it's a quick read.


Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Ravenous- Great cast been meaning to rewatch it. I remember thinking it a tonal mess with a terrible score but it is loved.


Tonal mess? Maybe. Terrible score? WTF?


Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:04 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

The Ginger Snaps trilogy makes up 3/5 of my top five werewolf films. You've got American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers and . . . ?

I read a book a year or two ago called Sharp Teeth which did something really cool and innovative with werewolf mythology. I'd love to see it made into a film, though I doubt it would ever happen. I'd highly recommend it to anyone--and it's written in free verse, so it's a quick read.


The Howling?

The Howling 2?


Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

crumbsroom wrote:

Tonal mess? Maybe. Terrible score? WTF?


I missed this remark somehow, but, yeah , the Ravenous score/soundtrack is amazing. One person I know follows any mention of the film with a compliment about its music.


Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

crumbsroom wrote:

Tonal mess? Maybe. Terrible score? WTF?

I think he spelled "terrific" wrong. :)

_________________
Captain's Log


Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:10 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

The Ginger Snaps trilogy makes up 3/5 of my top five werewolf films. You've got American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers and . . . ?

I read a book a year or two ago called Sharp Teeth which did something really cool and innovative with werewolf mythology. I'd love to see it made into a film, though I doubt it would ever happen. I'd highly recommend it to anyone--and it's written in free verse, so it's a quick read.


Curse of the Werewolf is the only big one I think you missed. Perhaps Wolf Man and Werewolf in London.

I'll keep an eye out for the book


Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

The Ginger Snaps trilogy makes up 3/5 of my top five werewolf films. You've got American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers and . . . ?

I read a book a year or two ago called Sharp Teeth which did something really cool and innovative with werewolf mythology. I'd love to see it made into a film, though I doubt it would ever happen. I'd highly recommend it to anyone--and it's written in free verse, so it's a quick read.

What was the one with the blind veteran? That was pretty good.


Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Deschain wrote:
What was the one with the blind veteran? That was pretty good.


Late Phases, which begot this conversation


Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:53 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
If you're talking about The Boy where the woman babysits the dummy, then I say go for it! I really liked it.

I thought you were talking about the dummy in The Baby for a brief sec (which I thought was pretty mean for Takoma :oops: )


Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:02 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Hereditary is most likely the best horror film this year. Avoid spoilers at all cost.

9/10


Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:46 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
I worry that the marketing is doing out a disservice

I agree that the trailer overall does the film a disservice. I especially wish I hadn't seen its edit of the
school desk self-assault
which the trailer makes look very silly.

Rock wrote:
Not sure how I feel about the ending, though.

Technically the movie did set it up earlier, although a lot of that came late in the film. But at the sane tone, I like how the movie frames us too close to the family trauma for us to realize that something more sinister is happening once you pull the camera back just a little.

I think the set ups are there from pretty much the beginning, where we see these strange necklaces, and that one woman who made a strange occultish sign over the corpse's lips. I didn't expect it to go full Rosemary's Baby or anything, but I think it was strongly implied that something sinister was afoot far beyond the family's history of mental illness.

But I definitely liked the way the film paired this history of mental illness, not just the genetically passed variety but the psychology that's behaviorally passed on within a dysfunctional, highly manipulative family caught in a vicious cycle of guilt and resentments.


Captain Terror wrote:
I read that the director's original cut was 3 hours long, and that most of what was trimmed was just the family drama stuff. While that's very intriguing, it would probably also be unbearable to sit through.

I think there's definitely room for elaboration in Byrne's father and his (I imagine slow) descent into being emotionally numbed by dealing with the family's history of dysfunction. We have to assume as much given his weary exhaustion, but it's never really explained in detail what his perspective on this background is other than avoidance and shutdown.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:01 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Perhaps it's because my first viewing of the film was the Arrow Blu Ray rather than a 5th generation, public domain dupe, but I was struck by how much more arthouse than grindhouse Driller Killer was. While more exploitative than Ferrara's next film, Ms. 45, it felt more at home somewhere alongside Repulsion and Mean Streets than any of the other video nasties that I've seen. It almost feels like Ferrara had several different films in the works and combined them with something exploitative to get distribution. It's not the most pleasant watch, but there's a unique feel to it's pastiche of Punk music documentary, cinema verite Bohemian drama and neo-noir, neon colored slasher flick.

I think I appreciated it most in context of Ferrara's career, as you could clearly see the origin of Ms. 45 and Bad Lieutenant. I need to see more Ferrara.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Perhaps it's because my first viewing of the film was the Arrow Blu Ray rather than a 5th generation, public domain dupe, but I was struck by how much more arthouse than grindhouse Driller Killer was. While more exploitative than Ferrara's next film, Ms. 45, it felt more at home somewhere alongside Repulsion and Mean Streets than any of the other video nasties that I've seen. It almost feels like Ferrara had several different films in the works and combined them with something exploitative to get distribution. It's not the most pleasant watch, but there's a unique feel to it's pastiche of Punk music documentary, cinema verite Bohemian drama and neo-noir, neon colored slasher flick.

I think I appreciated it most in context of Ferrara's career, as you could clearly see the origin of Ms. 45 and Bad Lieutenant. I need to see more Ferrara.

Yeah, that mix of genres was what struck me the most about it. That and how Ferrara says "Deeeegenerate!"
Gotta watch my copy one of these days.

Did you play it loud?

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
Yeah, that mix of genres was what struck me the most about it. That and how Ferrara says "Deeeegenerate!"
Gotta watch my copy one of these days.

Did you play it loud?


Sadly, my wife was asleep the next room over so only moderately loud. I knew I ducked up.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Jinnistan wrote:
I think the set ups are there from pretty much the beginning, where we see these strange necklaces, and that one woman who made a strange occultish sign over the corpse's lips. I didn't expect it to go full Rosemary's Baby or anything, but I think it was strongly implied that something sinister was afoot far beyond the family's history of mental illness.

Yeah, definitely looking forward to another viewing, knowing what I know now. I mean, not anytime soon of course, but one day.

Jinnistan wrote:
I think there's definitely room for elaboration in Byrne's father and his (I imagine slow) descent into being emotionally numbed by dealing with the family's history of dysfunction. We have to assume as much given his weary exhaustion, but it's never really explained in detail what his perspective on this background is other than avoidance and shutdown.

I agree. If the longer cut ever becomes available I'd be very interested. But as I said, it won't be an easy watch. This was brutal without the extra hour. On the other hand
I was really impressed with how much info they managed to reveal in such an economical fashion. For example, when Mom says "Granny insisted on feeding you herself" I briefly wondered if that meant breast-feeding. A few minutes later the diorama answered that question for me.


Jinnistan wrote:
Hereditary is most likely the best horror film this year. Avoid spoilers at all cost.

Scanning my Letterboxd history, I'm gonna say this is my favorite horror film from the past 2 years at least. Not since The Witch have I left the theater knowing I was going to buy this BluRay the day it's released. Found myself listening to the score last night which is both beautiful and terrifying.

_________________
Captain's Log


Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

I really need to see Driller Killer again at some point. When I saw it I was about 13 or 14 and was not interested in anything that diluted my horror. All of that New York poverty misery shit drove me crazy. I absolutely hated it. Of course, this didn't stop me from watching it three or four times over the course of that year, because I've always compulsively revisited films even when they are garbage. But my memories of it are only bad.

That being said, what I can recall of it would probably be exactly up my alley these days. Grimy New York? Check. Punk rock? check. A genreless, amorphous mass of celluloid? Check. A movie any one else would probably right call complete garbage? Check.

It is beckoning me.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:55 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

crumbsroom wrote:
I really need to see Driller Killer again at some point. When I saw it I was about 13 or 14 and was not interested in anything that diluted my horror. All of that New York poverty misery shit drove me crazy. I absolutely hated it. Of course, this didn't stop me from watching it three or four times over the course of that year, because I've always compulsively revisited films even when they are garbage. But my memories of it are only bad.

That being said, what I can recall of it would probably be exactly up my alley these days. Grimy New York? Check. Punk rock? check. A genreless, amorphous mass of celluloid? Check. A movie any one else would probably right call complete garbage? Check.

It is beckoning me.


Amazon prime has the Arrow transfer streaming and ready to go. Amazon prime has pretty much made it the greatest place for exploitation, Eurpotrash and Kung Fu cinema by cutting various deals with Arrow, Blue Underground and Dragon Dynasty.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Perhaps it's because my first viewing of the film was the Arrow Blu Ray rather than a 5th generation, public domain dupe, but I was struck by how much more arthouse than grindhouse Driller Killer was. While more exploitative than Ferrara's next film, Ms. 45, it felt more at home somewhere alongside Repulsion and Mean Streets than any of the other video nasties that I've seen. It almost feels like Ferrara had several different films in the works and combined them with something exploitative to get distribution. It's not the most pleasant watch, but there's a unique feel to it's pastiche of Punk music documentary, cinema verite Bohemian drama and neo-noir, neon colored slasher flick.

I think I appreciated it most in context of Ferrara's career, as you could clearly see the origin of Ms. 45 and Bad Lieutenant. I need to see more Ferrara.

I have only seen Driller Killer, Ms. 45, and Bad Lieutenant, the first two when I was in high school and the third when I was in college (so 27-30 years ago), but I liked all 3.
I rented Driller Killer when I was about 14 years old with a friend of mine and we were both shocked. I think we both felt like we'd seen something we weren't supposed to see but our reactions were very different. He didn't hate it but he wasn't very happy about it. I just wanted more. I'm the kid whose favorite movie was Videodrome when he was 15 years old.

By the way, Driller Killer is on iTunes now, and they usually have pretty good prints of everything. It's been in my queue for a coupla weeks.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

The title Even Lambs Have Teeth was good enough to get me to check out the movie.

Even Horrorcrammers Make Mistakes. :(

(Why is it so hard to find a good revenge flick? Like seriously though.)


Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:11 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
The title Even Lambs Have Teeth was good enough to get me to check out the movie.

Even Horrorcrammers Make Mistakes. :(

(Why is it so hard to find a good revenge flick? Like seriously though.)


Maybe worry more about the ratings than the titles? Is this the second or third time it's happened this month?

Curious what Wooley ended up watching that night.

It appears The Boy might be on my agenda later today.


Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:41 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Apex Predator wrote:
Maybe worry more about the ratings than the titles? Is this the second or third time it's happened this month?

It appears The Boy might be on my agenda later today.


Second, but in all fairness it can be hard to trust the ratings on those low-budget films. For example, I think that Salvage is top-tier low-budget and juts generally a really good movie. It has a 5.5 star rating on IMDb. Another indie I really liked, Crush the Skull has a 5.6 rating. Rideshare, which I felt had some redeeming, funny moments in it has a 4.0 star rating. In comparison, Even Lambs Have Teeth has a 5 star rating. Generally I find that anything with a 4.5 star rating or above has potential to be enjoyable.

There is a certain quality of trashy/low-budget movie that I enjoy at the end of a long workday and I want to watch something for 20-30 minutes before I go to bed. It leads to a lot of hit or miss viewing.

I hope you get a chance to check out The Boy, I found it to be a really pleasant surprise.


Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:35 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
The title Even Lambs Have Teeth was good enough to get me to check out the movie.

Even Horrorcrammers Make Mistakes. :(

(Why is it so hard to find a good revenge flick? Like seriously though.)

Have you run out of South Korean films?


Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:45 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Have you run out of South Korean films?


Ha!

This is before sleep viewing, so sometimes I'm just listening and not looking at the screen, so subtitled movies aren't ideal.

Here's one thing that I did like from Even Lambs Have Teeth: the basic plot is that these two girls are kidnapped by basically a whole town that is complicit with a gross forced-prostitution ring. Eventually they escape and take revenge. (The violence against the women is all off-screen, which was one reason I went ahead and watched it.) As in many of these films, there is one bad guy who seems to, like, feel bad about what's happening and we get a few shots of him looking disturbed at the women's treatment (even as he both actively and passively participates in it). When it gets to the revenge part, he's asking them not to kill him and says he knew it was wrong, blah blah blah. And one of the women goes "Oh, yeah, Katie. Of the guys who kidnapped and raped us, he was the nice one." Then she shoots him in the head. It made me laugh. A lot of movies tepidly go for that moral relativism between the bad guys, and I liked that trope being called out.


Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:19 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
The title Even Lambs Have Teeth was good enough to get me to check out the movie.

Even Horrorcrammers Make Mistakes. :(

(Why is it so hard to find a good revenge flick? Like seriously though.)

Lone Wolf McQuade?
I would say maybe Forced Vengeance but it may be a little rapey (been a long time, can't remember).


Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:02 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Apex Predator wrote:

Curious what Wooley ended up watching that night.

Believe it or not, I ended up watching 42nd Street.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:04 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
Here's one thing that I did like from Even Lambs Have Teeth: the basic plot is that these two girls are kidnapped by basically a whole town that is complicit with a gross forced-prostitution ring. Eventually they escape and take revenge. (The violence against the women is all off-screen, which was one reason I went ahead and watched it.) As in many of these films, there is one bad guy who seems to, like, feel bad about what's happening and we get a few shots of him looking disturbed at the women's treatment (even as he both actively and passively participates in it). When it gets to the revenge part, he's asking them not to kill him and says he knew it was wrong, blah blah blah. And one of the women goes "Oh, yeah, Katie. Of the guys who kidnapped and raped us, he was the nice one." Then she shoots him in the head. It made me laugh. A lot of movies tepidly go for that moral relativism between the bad guys, and I liked that trope being called out.


This actually makes me want to watch this movie.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:06 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Due to recent conversations on this forum, I have decided to watch The Howling II, Forced Vengeance, and possibly Starcrash this weekend.
Wish me luck.

Btw, does anyone know if Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed is streaming anywhere? It is not on iTunes (the service I mostly use) or Netflix. I've never seen the whole thing but I liked what I did see and if I'm gonna watch a bad werewolf movie this weekend I might as well watch a good one too.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:11 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Starcrash has Caroline Munro in a vampire bikini and a robot with a southern accent. It is a worthwhile viewing.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:49 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

Ha!

This is before sleep viewing, so sometimes I'm just listening and not looking at the screen, so subtitled movies aren't ideal.

Here's one thing that I did like from Even Lambs Have Teeth: the basic plot is that these two girls are kidnapped by basically a whole town that is complicit with a gross forced-prostitution ring. Eventually they escape and take revenge. (The violence against the women is all off-screen, which was one reason I went ahead and watched it.) As in many of these films, there is one bad guy who seems to, like, feel bad about what's happening and we get a few shots of him looking disturbed at the women's treatment (even as he both actively and passively participates in it). When it gets to the revenge part, he's asking them not to kill him and says he knew it was wrong, blah blah blah. And one of the women goes "Oh, yeah, Katie. Of the guys who kidnapped and raped us, he was the nice one." Then she shoots him in the head. It made me laugh. A lot of movies tepidly go for that moral relativism between the bad guys, and I liked that trope being called out.


Dang. I was going to recommend Bedevilled to you, if you haven't seen it. I'm curious about your view of it as on the surface (and the horrible trailer) it sounds like a typical woman getting revenge on oppressor story but due to an atypical POV, it works far differently than one may expect.

For mostly disposable, English language revenge, I was a big fan of William Lustig's Vigilante. It may be morally repugnant, but damn was it striking, well made and very well acted, with a young Robert Forester, which sounds paradoxical, and the ever watchable Fred Williamson. Though it's not horror/revenge.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:29 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Starcrash was on the most recent season of MST3K. I cannot imagine trying to watch it on its own.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Deschain wrote:
Starcrash was on the most recent season of MST3K. I cannot imagine trying to watch it on its own.

I love watching bad movies but can never get into MST3K. it's harder for me to watch with them than it is just to watch the movie. I love Best of the Worst though.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:17 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I love watching bad movies but can never get into MST3K. it's harder for me to watch with them than it is just to watch the movie. I love Best of the Worst though.


I am a fan of MST3K, but I feel there is something about it that make people think it is required to shit talk a bad movie all the way through to enjoy it. It's entirely acceptable to just sit quietly by one self, shit talking it in ones head. Friends are unnecessary.

Best of the Worst is one of the better things I've seen when it comes to talking about bad movies. Even though only Jay seems to actually understand the beauty of bad movies. Which pains me because Mike and Rich are clearly the most interesting personalities even though I usually think their opinions suck.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:22 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:

This actually makes me want to watch this movie.


I mean. . . . it's like a 2/5 for me. It has one or two self-aware moments like the one I cite above, but it's also really dumb and very derivative, and it does that thing where it contains (implicitly, mostly) really horrible stuff happening to women but it doesn't seem to have much to say about the violence. There's no real evolution for the women (aside from a not-so-believable transformation into people who know how to tie up and torture others with sociopathic detachment), and there's also no commentary on the fact that seemingly all the men in the town (including the police) are complicit in this rape/forced-prostitution/murder racket. The acting isn't very good and the camera work lacks creativity. I don't hold looking low-budget against a movie, but this one also at times looks cheap, if that distinction makes sense. There are also some sexualized angles in how the women are shot that seem at odds with the film's anti-exploitation message. Great title, though!

ThatDarnMKS wrote:


I've almost watched Bedeviled many many times, especially when I had Netflix because it was on there quite a lot. The trailer did put me off and so did concerns about the ratio of abuse to revenge. If it pops up on one of the services I use I'll check it out. I'll also keep an eye out for Vigilante.

I'm in a weird mood right now, movie wise. The school year just ended, it's a transitional period. When I'm like this there's almost nothing I can watch and I feel like a jerk asking for recommendations because 99.99% of anything I'm going to be like "NOPE!". Even movies I've been wanting to see. It's a good thing it's World Cup time.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:31 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

crumbsroom wrote:

I am a fan of MST3K, but I feel there is something about it that make people think it is required to shit talk a bad movie all the way through to enjoy it. It's entirely acceptable to just sit quietly by one self, shit talking it in ones head. Friends are unnecessary.

Best of the Worst is one of the better things I've seen when it comes to talking about bad movies. Even though only Jay seems to actually understand the beauty of bad movies. Which pains me because Mike and Rich are clearly the most interesting personalities on that and they are frequently at complete odds with me regarding what they say.


I've never been a fan of MST3K. I guess I figure I can always make up my own running commentary and it's funny enough to me. Most likely no one else on the planet would laugh at my humor. Then again I love bad movies and always seem to find something or two about most of them to cherish them.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:36 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

I totally should have gotten baked before watching Starcrash. I'll keep y'all posted.

Caroline Munro did not have her finest hour in this film. She was better in Captain Kronos.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:45 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Better Star Wars fallout-movies than Starcrash, off the top of my head:

The Last Starfighter (easily in first place)
Spacehunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone
Battle Beyond The Stars
The Ice Pirates
Android
Flash Gordon
The Black Hole
Space Raiders
(yup, still better than Starcrash)

Yet, I unquestionably like this movie and would watch it again. I mean, it's just hilarious. Even for Corman this is pretty... not good.
Seriously, this makes Battle Beyond The Stars look like 2001.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

I would actually love to remake this movie with some kind of budget. I wouldn't need a ton, I feel like it could be done for a modest sum. But this is actually a pretty cool idea.
I've been rewriting this movie as it goes along and I tell ya, I think I got a winner of a script going.

But poor Christopher Plummer. Yes, we saw you, Chris. Were times really that tight?
The Harryhausen work is top-notch, too. :P


Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:15 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

There are definitely some bad movies that you can enjoy on their own, without the MST3K treatment...Starcrash is not one of them.

And yes Best of the Worst is amazing. One of the most consistently funny shows on the Internet. I personally love the Wheel of the Worst episodes the best.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:



I've almost watched Bedeviled many many times, especially when I had Netflix because it was on there quite a lot. The trailer did put me off and so did concerns about the ratio of abuse to revenge. If it pops up on one of the services I use I'll check it out. I'll also keep an eye out for Vigilante.

I'm in a weird mood right now, movie wise. The school year just ended, it's a transitional period. When I'm like this there's almost nothing I can watch and I feel like a jerk asking for recommendations because 99.99% of anything I'm going to be like "NOPE!". Even movies I've been wanting to see. It's a good thing it's World Cup time.

Make sure it's the SK Bedevilled with 2 "L's". There's some American indie horror with one L and it's supposed to not be very good.

I think the movie handled the abuse vs. revenge far better than numerous other films I've seen of it's ilk. I think the trailer grossly misrepresents the focus, tone and style of the film, which is far more thoughtful and contemplative than one may expect. Not to say it isn't entertaining and thrilling, it's just not the "She's not dumb" garish cheese that one may expect from that garbage trailer.

I can relate. It's also summer break for me and I've spent more time working on test footage for a short, cleaning and prepping my house than watching movies. In fact, most of my watching has actually been true crime documentaries like Evil Genius and the Staircase.

When watching movies, I've been drawn more to schlock than quality as of late which makes me mad as I was planning to watch as many of my Criterion blind buys as humanly possible. I haven't watched one.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:39 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

crumbsroom wrote:

I am a fan of MST3K, but I feel there is something about it that make people think it is required to shit talk a bad movie all the way through to enjoy it. It's entirely acceptable to just sit quietly by one self, shit talking it in ones head. Friends are unnecessary.

Best of the Worst is one of the better things I've seen when it comes to talking about bad movies. Even though only Jay seems to actually understand the beauty of bad movies. Which pains me because Mike and Rich are clearly the most interesting personalities even though I usually think their opinions suck.


While I enjoy company when watching bad cinema and have a buddy that tends to partake in watching, I agree that it's not necessary. One of my favorite bad movie watches was Blood Rage and I was completely alone.

I feel you on RLM. Mike is my favorite but I feel like I'm probably most similar to Jay. It's interesting in that depending on the film, I know who I'll agree with more before I even watch a video. If it's an indie horror or something with an atypical narrative, Jay will almost surely echo me, though he will likely be too positive. If it's blockbuster, Mike will echo me verbatim and I'll be annoyed by Jay's nitpicking.

But with bad cinema, Jay is clearly the most level headed. I think his editing is pretty great. The tums festival argument had me rolling in the Hollywood Cop video, which I watched after HC of course.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

double-post


Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:02 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

To Alec Guiness' credit, he came to do his job when he showed up for Star Wars, and he elevated the whole film which, let's be honest, would have been tough to swallow during those Tatooine times were it not for the Ol' Ben the Space Knight.
But Christopher Plummer, a fine, fine actor, brought no such professionalism to the set of Starcrash. He knew he was in Turdsville and he barely even knew his lines and seemed at times stilted at others a bit hammy, but mostly just not even present, like his eyes are looking off to wherever he's escaping to when this one-day shoot (for him) ends for most of his screen time.
Perhaps it's unfair to compare the two performances as Guiness may have felt the movie would be dreck, but he was mostly working with professionals, while Plummer, no doubt stepped out of wardrobe with his golden codpiece and thought, "What the hell did I agree to do?"


Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:02 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Make sure it's the SK Bedevilled with 2 "L's". There's some American indie horror with one L and it's supposed to not be very good.


I know exactly which one you're talking about. It's been on my radar for over a year now.

Quote:
When watching movies, I've been drawn more to schlock than quality as of late which makes me mad as I was planning to watch as many of my Criterion blind buys as humanly possible. I haven't watched one.


Yup. I have a ton of awesome looking stuff waiting for me on filmstruck and yet every night I find myself drawn to movies on Prime with covers that look like they were made in MS Paint.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:13 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
To Alec Guiness' credit, he came to do his job when he showed up for Star Wars, and he elevated the whole film which, let's be honest, would have been tough to swallow during those Tatooine times were it not for the Ol' Ben the Space Knight.
But Christopher Plummer, a fine, fine actor, brought no such professionalism to the set of Starcrash. He knew he was in Turdsville and he barely even knew his lines and seemed at times stilted at others a bit hammy, but mostly just not even present, like his eyes are looking off to wherever he's escaping to when this one-day shoot (for him) ends for most of his screen time.
Perhaps it's unfair to compare the two performances as Guiness may have felt the movie would be dreck, but he was mostly working with professionals, while Plummer, no doubt stepped out of wardrobe with his golden codpiece and thought, "What the hell did I agree to do?"


"Oh, my God. There are two things I can say about that: One, give me Rome any day. I’ll do porno in Rome, as long as I can get to Rome. [Laughs.] Getting to Rome was the greatest thing that happened in that for me. I think it was only about three days in Rome on that one. It was all shot at once. And the girl… Caroline Munro. She was something incredible to look at. That was a great pleasure, too. But beyond those two things… I mean, how can you play the Emperor Of The Universe? What a wonderful part to play. [Laughs.] It puts God in a very dicey moment, doesn’t it? He’s very insecure, God, when the Emperor’s around."

yeah he probably was distracted.


Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:22 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Image

Happy Father's Day, crammers.

_________________
Captain's Log


Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:28 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

"Oh, my God. There are two things I can say about that: One, give me Rome any day. I’ll do porno in Rome, as long as I can get to Rome. [Laughs.] Getting to Rome was the greatest thing that happened in that for me. I think it was only about three days in Rome on that one. It was all shot at once. And the girl… Caroline Munro. She was something incredible to look at. That was a great pleasure, too. But beyond those two things… I mean, how can you play the Emperor Of The Universe? What a wonderful part to play. [Laughs.] It puts God in a very dicey moment, doesn’t it? He’s very insecure, God, when the Emperor’s around."

yeah he probably was distracted.

That's awesome.


Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:00 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 40  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: John Dumbear and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.