It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 1504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Captain Terror wrote:
Letterboxd sent me an end-of-the-year email, which included certain stats about my viewing in 2017. According to this email, out of all the films I watched in '17 my "most-watched actor" was Lon Chaney Jr. I can't decide if that's awesome or embarrassing. And I'm single, ladies!

Where do I find those kind of stats on Letterboxd? I've poked around pretty good but can't find them.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 am

Wooley wrote:

Where do I find those kind of stats on Letterboxd? I've poked around pretty good but can't find them.
You have to have at least Letterboxd Pro, which is $19 a year. Worth it, though! I love being able to filter my activity feed there however I want, y'know?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 am

I don't have Letterboxd Pro, but I received a year end summary email a few weeks ago.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Raw, which is on Netflix, is worth checking out. It's up there with the good-to-great tier of David Cronenberg's "body horror" movies. It expertly portrays the fears of the college experience transforming your beliefs, morals, sexual proclivities, and of course your diet. Maybe I'm just desensitized, but don't let the reports of theater walkouts stop you from watching it. It's gross at times, but not excessively so.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 am

Spent some of my Christmas money on some horror BluRays. Tonight's feature was Brotherhood of Satan, about a town where adults are being murdered and their children are disappearing. Revolves around a cult of elderly Satanists led by Strother Martin. This is worth watching just for his gonzo performance as the High Priest. He really goes for the gusto and his vaguely-Southern accent is just icing on the cake. His delivery of the line "Satan's Baby!!" is exquisite, so good they led the trailer with it:

https://youtu.be/ROIuAidbo6g

Also includes a Satanic birthday party (you can tell by the black frosting on the cake), and a priest in a Notre Dame sweater that vaguely resembles NFL QB Jay Cutler. Kidding aside, I actually liked this one. Besides its entertainment value it's an unusual story and has a kicker of an ending. The acting is...adequate at best but I recommend it anyway.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Torgo wrote:
Raw, which is on Netflix, is worth checking out. It's up there with the good-to-great tier of David Cronenberg's "body horror" movies. It expertly portrays the fears of the college experience transforming your beliefs, morals, sexual proclivities, and of course your diet. Maybe I'm just desensitized, but don't let the reports of theater walkouts stop you from watching it. It's gross at times, but not excessively so.

The worst scene involves a pair of scissors that get misused.

Although I wasn't keen on the changing sexuality of one character (which felt like it changed from scene to scene at times) and I have to wonder why certain things happened at that school where someone didn't get called to the carpet by a dean, I think I really dug the sister dynamic more than anything else on Raw.

Will agree that it's worth seeing.

In a somewhat related note, I decided to do some rentals thanks to this week's snowstorms and decided to see a horror. Unfortunately, the one I chose was Bye Bye Man.

Don't say it, don't think it. No, I was referring to your reactions. :P

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:23 am

Apex Predator wrote:
decided to see a horror. Unfortunately, the one I chose was Bye Bye Man.

Don't say it, don't think it. No, I was referring to your reactions. :P

The title alone is enough for me to have no interest.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:24 am

The Creeping Flesh
Peter Cushing unearths a giant pre-human skeleton and finds that it can regrow its flesh when the bone comes in contact with water. (The science sounds a bit shaky there, but what do I know?) There's some subplot about his late wife being a nymphomaniac, and his daughter who shows signs of insanity (like dancing on the front lawn in a nightgown! Crazy girl!) Spoiler alert: The skeleton comes to life and does stuff.

This is a non-Hammer/non-Amicus production with Cushing, C Lee and directed by Freddie Francis, so fans of those two studios will probably enjoy this. There's some nice shots of the reanimated skeleton walking around the woods in the rain. (In a hooded cloak, for some reason) The story is absurd, but you probably already know if you're the target audience for this one. Fun times.

That's a finger, I promise

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:34 am

Captain Terror wrote:
it can regrow its flesh when the bone comes in contact with water. (The science sounds a bit shaky there, but what do I know?)

Sounds legit.

I started Afflicted but I hadn't really realized that (1) it was faux-documentary style or that (2) it would contain so much vomiting.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Sounds legit.

I started Afflicted but I hadn't really realized that (1) it was faux-documentary style or that (2) it would contain so much vomiting.

Remember when on-screen vomiting was taboo? I miss those days.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 am

Captain Terror wrote:

The Creeping Flesh

Well hello there, beautiful.

Peter Cushing. Christopher Lee. After my recent obsession with Horror Express, I could do with a little more of them. If we could only get a Telly Savales cameo to boot.

I've always heard of this movie, but its the premise that really sells it for me. Flesh growing on a skeleton like a chia pet. Very nice.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 am

It would be a shame if director Pupi Avati’s name was pronounced “poopy” because his movie The House with the Laughing Windows is far from it. (Although if his name was pronounced “puppy”, that also would not be an ideal outcome. Given that his birth name was Giuseppe, I can only assume that Pupi is a significantly less mean-spirited nickname in Italian than it sounds like in English.) It does have problems, with its rather sluggish pacing and blank slate of a protagonist keeping the film from having much energy. These kind of movies benefit from either plucky audience surrogates or hero(in)es who bring their own baggage to the material, yet the one here isn’t defined well enough to fall into either category. Yet through the loose pacing the film achieves a languorous momentum well suited to its quiet countryside backdrop. The hero comes to a village in the Italian countryside to restore a painting in a church, yet one can’t quite put a finger on whether the locals want him gone because of the secrets he might uncover with the painting, or if he’s not from ‘round these parts, or if they’re merely irritable because it’s too damn hot. Surprisingly for a horror movie, much of this is gorgeously sunlit to evoke the sweltering heat, so that when the action does move indoors and the shadows of nighttime finally appear, it’s that much more ominous.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:06 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Remember when on-screen vomiting was taboo? I miss those days.

I was home with the flu on Tuesday (AGAIN!), and I watched several movies that I had on DVD from Netflix. Then I hit the first 15 minutes of Afflicted and that put an end to that movie marathon.

I started Bedlam and so far it's a bit understated for my taste. I did love the bizarro staging of the first extended scene--the man in the bed, the woman sitting on the edge, the child servant, and Karlof's surly character being like "No, dude--he totally fell out the window, for reasons I will continue to exlplain in a way that makes no sense."

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 am

Torture Garden

This is the second Amicus anthology film (after Dr. Terror). It's not the best but I'm a sucker for these things so I like even the worst of them, and this is a candidate for that title. My favorite segment is the one where Cushing and Palance are rival EA Poe collectors. This and Brotherhood of Satan and Creeping Flesh are all included in the Psycho Circus Triple Feature BluRay which has turned out to be $11 well-spent.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am

The only Amicus anthology (or film, period) I've seen is Asylum, which I'll recommend even though I only like two out of four segments. Ebert's review is also worth a read, depending on your interest in coleslaw.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I was home with the flu on Tuesday (AGAIN!), and I watched several movies that I had on DVD from Netflix. Then I hit the first 15 minutes of Afflicted and that put an end to that movie marathon.

I started Bedlam and so far it's a bit understated for my taste. I did love the bizarro staging of the first extended scene--the man in the bed, the woman sitting on the edge, the child servant, and Karlof's surly character being like "No, dude--he totally fell out the window, for reasons I will continue to exlplain in a way that makes no sense."

I miss the days when a character would "vomit" by running to the sink and making vague coughing noises. It got the point across without nauseating the audience.

As for Bedlam, there's a bit of action towards the end but I don't know if it ever reaches a level beyond understated. There's a moment involving body paint that I've always liked as well.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:52 am

Rock wrote:
The only Amicus anthology (or film, period) I've seen is Asylum, which I'll recommend even though I only like two out of four segments. Ebert's review is also worth a read, depending on your interest in coleslaw.

Tales From the Crypt is probably the best and most popular. To be honest, I forget which segments are from which film so I'd have to look them all up to give any kind of recommendation. But yeah, if anybody asked I'd tell 'em to start with Crypt I guess.

It's funny that Ebert would make the joke about the cabbage horror movie, because one of these films had a killer-plant story.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:59 am

Speaking of Peter Cushing, I may watch Land of the Minotaur tonight.

And among his collabs with Lee, Scream and Scream Again is a lot of fun. Better than Nothing Than The Night

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:41 am

Captain Terror wrote:

That's a finger, I promise
Too late; reported.

:oops:

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Speaking of Peter Cushing, I may watch Land of the Minotaur tonight.

That's one I haven't seen. Music by Brian Eno??

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:59 pm

Word of warning: don't watch The Exorcist III so soon before bed. Brad Dourif will give you nightmares.

Good grief, his performance as the Gemini Killer may be the scariest one I've ever seen. It's my first viewing, and while it can't hold a candle to the original, it's a solid horror movie/mystery thriller in its own rite. It's too bad Blatty didn't direct more movies because he made some bold, stylish and impressionable choices. My major gripe with it is the obvious studio meddling to make it resemble the first movie where they could. The unexpected appearances of Fabio and Patrick Ewing in that killer dream sequences as well as the C. Everett Koop and Larry King cameos mostly make up for it, though.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:39 pm

The climax is kind of weak, but it's a lot better than it should be on the whole.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:27 pm

I prefer the Legion cut. Great flick.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Mayhem was decent. Reminded me of the Babysitter in that pretense of hyper cleverness that seems to be just as popular in the indie scene as clinical detached slow burns and mumblecore. It's probably more "fun" than the similar Belko Experiment but it left far less of an impression because it does virtually nothing with the premise beyond "people are kinda impulsive assholes." Whereas BE seemed to take its premise almost too far, into unsettling and awful territory, this one just has some background craziness but it's all little more than some physical violence and some random sex. For a movie called Mayhem, it feels tame.

Still, Steven Yuen gives a solid lead performance and Samara Weaving continues to impress. Given her turns in the Babysitter and Three Billboards, I'd say 2017 was pivotal in putting her on the map. I now wish it were her and not Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

It's worth a whirl and not much more.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

Torture Garden

This is the second Amicus anthology film (after Dr. Terror). It's not the best but I'm a sucker for these things so I like even the worst of them, and this is a candidate for that title. My favorite segment is the one where Cushing and Palance are rival EA Poe collectors. This and Brotherhood of Satan and Creeping Flesh are all included in the Psycho Circus Triple Feature BluRay which has turned out to be $11 well-spent.

Yeah, I been sitting on Torture Garden for years, finally watched it a few months ago. I thought it was pretty weak overall but that it actually recovered reasonably well in the final (Fourth?) act and made Burgess Meredith's terrible makeup kinda make sense narratively and made it a better fit. It certainly wasn't like "avoid this" or anything, just hoped the first 3 stories had been a little better. I liked the fortune-teller gag but thought maybe a little more coulda been done with it.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:33 am

Completed Bye Bye Man. Somehow I made it...

Although the film had some interesting ideas about how ideas spread and legends are created, Candyman did that route much better.

Other films this reminded me of: The Babadook (general concept), The Crazies/In the Mouth of Madness (the idea that ordinary people could be convinced to do crazy, evil things), Nightmare on Elm Street (giant scratches come out of nowhere), plus others I have missed/hidden due to avoiding spoilers.

Despite nominal lead Douglas Smith's best efforts to ape Dane DeHaan down to the baggage under his eyes, the actors can't outact the cliches or the wooden dialogue written by Jonathan Penner (former Survivor, but best remembered for somehow combining Sandra Bullock and George Plympton in the same film). Both Carrie-Anne Moss and Faye Dunaway are in this, but for maybe three scenes between the two of them.

Don't watch it.

Grade: D-

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 am

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, I been sitting on Torture Garden for years, finally watched it a few months ago. I thought it was pretty weak overall but that it actually recovered reasonably well in the final (Fourth?) act and made Burgess Meredith's terrible makeup kinda make sense narratively and made it a better fit. It certainly wasn't like "avoid this" or anything, just hoped the first 3 stories had been a little better. I liked the fortune-teller gag but thought maybe a little more coulda been done with it.

Are you trying to say you weren't terrified of the killer piano? Hogwash! :)

I do admit I liked the idea that Burgess was walking around in a top hat and long cigarette holder.
ImageImage

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 am

Captain Terror wrote:

That's one I haven't seen. Music by Brian Eno??

That was unexpected, as I don't believe this soundtrack was ever released, certainly not under Eno's name if it was. It's fairly generic ambient stuff, nothing as interesting as his "imaginary" soundtracks he started releasing around this time.

This film, btw, is not good, but is at least consistently amusingly bad. Plenty of stupid hippies acting as evil's fodder. It's a good reminder for why its contemporary Race With The Devil has become seen as comparatively competent. It's a low bar, I guess, for this brand of drive-in product. It's one of those near-perfect Saturday afternoon horror films that used to play in TV syndication, where kids could play MST3K before MST3K was a thing.

However, since the film ultimately amounts to Donald Pleasance Vs. Peter Cushing, for what I believe is the only time on screen, it's simply irresistible for the true hard-nose horror fan.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:00 pm

Happy Death Day is out on blu/DVD. I missed it in theaters, so a renting it here I go.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 am

Jinnistan wrote:
That was unexpected, as I don't believe this soundtrack was ever released, certainly not under Eno's name if it was. It's fairly generic ambient stuff, nothing as interesting as his "imaginary" soundtracks he started releasing around this time.
I've read some folks online say this was some of the material from the 1976 promotional release of Music for Films that was cut from the 1978 release but included on the bootleg Music for Films, Vol. 1., but I have no way of verifying that.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:01 am

BL wrote:
I've read some folks online say this was some of the material from the 1976 promotional release of Music for Films that was cut from the 1978 release but included on the bootleg Music for Films, Vol. 1., but I have no way of verifying that.

I'm going to say that it's safe to say that this is not the case. It is an intriguing possibility. That promo of Music For Films was originally offered to a number of people for use in movies if anyone wanted them, so it seems not impossible that some of this music was taken and used in Land of the Minotaur after the fact. I don't have a copy of this promo, but most of it is on the Eno Box 1: Instrumentals set. None of the given titles suggest any connection to that film, and, since it was largely generic ambience tracks, it's hard to identify specifically.

But I've noticed that all of the relevant Youtube clips of the material seems to have been sourced directly from the film, and this helpful review of the Eno's soundtrack seems to verify that it was not included on either of the Music For Films sets.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Samara Weaving continues to impress. Given her turns in the Babysitter and Three Billboards, I'd say 2017 was pivotal in putting her on the map. I now wish it were her and not Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.
Questions of her performance aside, the way her character was written in Billboards got on my nerves, even accepting that she was meant to be intentionally annoying; her quirky ditzyness just felt so unfunny and forced, and one of the weaker aspects of that film, which I did like a lot on the whole otherwise. And Robbie was good as Quinn, and was one of the few bright spots of that unpleasant flustercluck of a "film", so shut yo mouth!
Apex Predator wrote:
Completed Bye Bye Man. Somehow I made it...

Although the film had some interesting ideas about how ideas spread and legends are created, Candyman did that route much better.

Other films this reminded me of: The Babadook (general concept), The Crazies/In the Mouth of Madness (the idea that ordinary people could be convinced to do crazy, evil things), Nightmare on Elm Street (giant scratches come out of nowhere), plus others I have missed/hidden due to avoiding spoilers.

Despite nominal lead Douglas Smith's best efforts to ape Dane DeHaan down to the baggage under his eyes, the actors can't outact the cliches or the wooden dialogue written by Jonathan Penner (former Survivor, but best remembered for somehow combining Sandra Bullock and George Plympton in the same film). Both Carrie-Anne Moss and Faye Dunaway are in this, but for maybe three scenes between the two of them.

Don't watch it.

Grade: D-
Never watched this one, but hey, at least it gave us this little slice of fried gold:

:D

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:23 am

That's probably more good than it came from the film I just watched. Although I washed it down with a tall glass of Edge of Tomorrow and that took the edge off.

My next horror will probably be Get Out. Still not sure what I'll watch with the other coupon.

Do I dare go with Book of Henry? Or are there good horrors that I've forgotten about in 2017?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Have you seen Raw?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:27 pm
Profile WWW

Stu wrote:
Questions of her performance aside, the way her character was written in Billboards got on my nerves, even accepting that she was meant to be intentionally annoying; her quirky ditzyness just felt so unfunny and forced, and one of the weaker aspects of that film, which I did like a lot on the whole otherwise. And Robbie was good as Quinn, and was one of the few bright spots of that unpleasant flustercluck of a "film", so shut yo mouth!

I think Robbie being gorgeous hides how she's not really able bring the energy necessary to the character. There is the good chance that she can do it with a better script but she was terribly inconsistent and her "look at how crazy I am" dialogue seemed forced and hollow. Either way, it doesn't seem to come naturally to her as far as I've seen. More attention was put on securing a sex icon than a faithful interpretation, which is also largely why they shied away from said faithful interpretation. Domestic abuse doesn't sell for dark romance as much. Being a bright spot in that film is mild praise at best, especially when I feel that Smith and Davis managed to stay dignified when delivering the trash dialogue. Nothing made me cringe like Robbie's "own that shit" or whatever garbage pep talk she gave in the bar.

Between Mayhem, The Babysitter and Three Billboards, I feel like Weaving has shown to possess the dynamic and ability to balance crazy, calculating and vulnerable. The writing of her character in TB doesn't bother me. She's the least complex character but that makes her kindness fairly potent in context.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:53 am

Slentert wrote:
Have you seen Raw?

Sure. I dug the sisterhood dynamics to Raw more than anything else.

Although the film had a few flaws (the changing sexual dynamics of her roomie which at times switched from scene to scene; how much can people get away with in a campus setting before people get called on the carpet), I found it to be a solid horror.

Downloaded A Ghost Story and once I get done with my rentals, that's one of the next ones I'll tackle.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Raw and Ginger Snaps would make for a quality double bill. Get Out is one of the year's best films.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:27 am

Then I'll just classify Get Out as one of the biggest disappointments of the year after hearing all the hype and we know what Public Enemy says, 'Don't believe the hype'.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:44 am

ski petrol wrote:
Then I'll just classify Get Out as one of the biggest disappointments of the year after hearing all the hype and we know what Public Enemy says, 'Don't believe the hype'.

As someone that dug it but didn't feel it was quite deserving of the praise initially, I advise you to rewatch it. It's such a pleasure how well constructed the foreshadowing and set ups are that it's a completely different experience.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 am

Another recent purchase that I am pleased with.

The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959 - Hammer - Terence Fisher - Christopher Lee)
About a guy (pictured) who is 104 years old, having discovered the means to live indefinitely. This of course involves murdering people. Christopher Lee plays the good guy that tries to stop him. Also stars one of my vintage-horror crushes, Hazel Court. This is similar to other Hammer/Fisher films from the era, with lots of talky stretches and one moment of horror at the end to make you glad to have stuck around. The "scary" scenes have a nice foggy Victorian England vibe, similar to Jekyll or Jack the Ripper films.

The Skull (1965 - Amicus - Freddie Francis - Christopher Lee - Peter Cushing)
The skull of the Marquis de Sade gets passed around among members of the occult-collecting community, causing the current holder to do naughty things. Some fun shots of the skull floating through the air (ignore the strings), and also a cool skull's-eye-view effect that gets repeated use. Always great to see Cushing and Lee do their thing, and also skulls are just cool.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Man, It Comes at Night is brutal. I expect to see metaphors for evil, disease or any other major source of fear in horror movies, but this one doesn't sugarcoat the fear of losing everyone you care about at all. The ways the two families process and try to reason with their impending doom, not to mention the paranoia that results, is reminiscent of The Thing, but this movie is possibly even more brutal because except for seeing what the sickness does to its victims, it's a completely abstract force. Some reviewers have slammed the movie for having a whole lot of "nothing," but isn't that kind of the point? The gritty, sweltering and realistic atmosphere of the woods, which even makes the humid Georgia forests in The Walking Dead seem glorified, has a lot to do with this. It will probably be a while before I reach for another horror movie.

<waits five minutes>

So how's Gerald's Game? ;)

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Torgo wrote:
Man, It Comes at Night is brutal. I expect to see metaphors for evil, disease or any other major source of fear in horror movies, but this one doesn't sugarcoat the fear of losing everyone you care about at all. The ways the two families process and try to reason with their impending doom, not to mention the paranoia that results, is reminiscent of The Thing, but this movie is possibly even more brutal because except for seeing what the sickness does to its victims, it's a completely abstract force.

This is what I liked about it as well. I saw it as a comment on what people will do when the bleep hits the fan. "It" can be substituted for whatever the viewer's fear might be. Disease, famine, rising sea level, whatever you're scared of--what happens when it's on your doorstep? Who to trust and how trustworthy will you be? I heard some complaints in the parking lot afterwards that there was no explanation at the end but the movie is better because of it, as far as I'm concerned. It presents a scenario where
the kid is shot but you can kind of understand why Edgerton took the shot.
That's what made it terrifying to me. No walk in the park, granted, but I look forward to rewatching it someday.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:41 am

Torgo wrote:
So how's Gerald's Game? ;)

It's solid. I had some issues with the believability of certain actions at the beginning, and there is an epilogue that I felt was handled in a very odd manner stylistically. But from both an acting point of view and a staging point of view it is really well done. I'd give it like a B-/B.

My internet went out for a few hours this evening (30 seconds in to the Drag Race All Stars premiere episode--not pleased!). After a short bout of denial and an eventual call to the internet service ("There are outages all across your county. We have no time frame for the resolution of this issue"--um, okay. Thanks.), I went to the DVD shelf.

I ended up watching The Cell, a film I haven't watched in its entirety in a long time. This is maybe the third time I've watched it all the way through and I think that my appreciation of it grows more each time. The imagery and the camera movement is really solid. The merging of CGI and real props is really fluid and still looks quite good. Giving Vince Vaughn's character a backstory of
sexual abuse is a really rare and interesting choice. The classic "troubled male detective" often has a tragic backstory, but I can't think of another male lead with a history of sexual abuse.
The movie has some over-the-top and lurid elements to it (as with most serial killer films), but there is a string of sympathy and empathy that keeps the movie grounded. The killer is neither an unsavable monster nor a victim of his family life--he is both at the same time. It makes me think of that line from Manhunter (sorry, too lazy to google) that goes something like "I feel for him as a child, but as an adult he is irredeemable. Someone needs to put him down."

This time in watching the movie I was really taken aback by the movement of the camera and the painterly images (many, of course, inspired by famous paintings). The three women in the field are standouts, but I also had a renewed appreciation for the spinning camera during the first baptism flashback.

Finally, this was the first time watching the movie that I was like "Is that baby Peter Sarsgard as the boyfriend?!" and it totally was! Uncredited, but his voice is so distinct. Just generally speaking it's an odd, interesting cast.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

Another recent purchase that I am pleased with.

The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959 - Hammer - Terence Fisher - Christopher Lee)
About a guy (pictured) who is 104 years old, having discovered the means to live indefinitely. This of course involves murdering people. Christopher Lee plays the good guy that tries to stop him. Also stars one of my vintage-horror crushes, Hazel Court. This is similar to other Hammer/Fisher films from the era, with lots of talky stretches and one moment of horror at the end to make you glad to have stuck around. The "scary" scenes have a nice foggy Victorian England vibe, similar to Jekyll or Jack the Ripper films.

The Skull (1965 - Amicus - Freddie Francis - Christopher Lee - Peter Cushing)
The skull of the Marquis de Sade gets passed around among members of the occult-collecting community, causing the current holder to do naughty things. Some fun shots of the skull floating through the air (ignore the strings), and also a cool skull's-eye-view effect that gets repeated use. Always great to see Cushing and Lee do their thing, and also skulls are just cool.

Nice review of The Man Who Could Cheat Death. Cool flick: The Man Who Could Cheat Death

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I ended up watching The Cell, a film I haven't watched in its entirety in a long time. This is maybe the third time I've watched it all the way through and I think that my appreciation of it grows more each time.

I was also a fan although I haven't seen it recently enough to say anything worthwhile about it. I'd recently discovered Odd Nerdrum ----->
when I saw the film in theaters so I felt very smart in recognizing that reference.
I sometimes feel like Tarsem's only supporter, so it's nice to hear someone else liked this at least.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:43 am

MadMan wrote:
Nice review of The Man Who Could Cheat Death. Cool flick: The Man Who Could Cheat Death

Well said, sir. Pretty much my thoughts exactly, just presented more eloquently. Funny, that's the second reference to Dr Who I found regarding this one. I'm not a Whovian so I'll take your word for it.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:50 am

Captain Terror wrote:

I like both The Cell and The Fall. He deals in big, bold images and colors and I find that very appealing. I was admittedly not very intrigued by Self/Less, so I haven't seen that one.

I also (finally safe from the stomach flu) finished Afflicted. It was . . . okay. I'm not a fan of the documentary style, so that was a slight knock on it. I also feel like I've seen way too many movies where people are like "I think I'm a werewolf/vampire/whatever" and there's a whole sequence of googling the monster and testing their powers. It came out just a year after Chronicle but it hit so many of the same plot beats that it didn't feel very fresh or original to me. The actors were good and the effects were pretty impressive. Overall, though, it failed to capture me.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:19 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I was also a fan although I haven't seen it recently enough to say anything worthwhile about it. I'd recently discovered Odd Nerdrum ----->
when I saw the film in theaters so I felt very smart in recognizing that reference.
I sometimes feel like Tarsem's only supporter, so it's nice to hear someone else liked this at least.

I'm a big fan of Tarsem Singh. I'd even go to bat for Immortals and Mirror Mirror.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:25 am

DaMU wrote:

I'm a big fan of Tarsem Singh. I'd even go to bat for Immortals and Mirror Mirror.

Yay, me too. I always hear the "style over substance" complaint, but I say substance is overrated. I've been made to feel like a dummy for defending both of those films.
ps--Takoma, Self/less is terrible. It has none of his visual stuff, and the only enjoyment I got from it is due to its having been filmed in my area. It's amazing how often movie characters find themselves in the Mardi Gras float warehouse!

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:47 am

Takoma1 wrote:

It's solid. I had some issues with the believability of certain actions at the beginning, and there is an epilogue that I felt was handled in a very odd manner stylistically. But from both an acting point of view and a staging point of view it is really well done. I'd give it like a B-/B.
Speaking of Flanagan, did you hear that he's set to direct an adaptation of The Shining sequel Doctor Sleep? I never finished the book, but, while I've heard mixed things about it overall, still, the idea of a sequel to it after all this time can't help but hold an allure for me regardless...

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next