It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 1504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Stu wrote:
Nope :D Granted, I didn't think it was a bad movie, just really clunky and unpleasant on the whole. Ambitious, yes, but that wasn't enough to make up for all its (significant) flaws, in the end.

I mean that sex-scene, though. Super-cringey.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:25 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I'm about 15 minutes into the movie the Open House and liking it so far.

Came across this last night. See it or skip it?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:44 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Came across this last night. See it or skip it?

I'm not done with it yet.

But based on what I've watched so far I'll say see it.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 am

I finished Open House last night and I ended up being kind of mixed on it, but it's impossible to say why without literally explaining the very end of the movie.

I did like some of the camera angles and generally speaking I thought that the fraught mother-son dynamic at the center of the film felt real.

There were some "Really?" moments that bugged me. At one point, the real estate agent becomes aware that someone broke into the house. But rather than call the police, they just . . . call the people? Who then come home BY THEMSELVES to the house. Like, why did the real estate people not call the cops? Why did the people themselves not call the police and ask them to meet them there? This is kind of a turning point in the movie and it felt weird having such a stupid decision be in the middle of it.

As for the very end (MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS--LIKE LITERALLY THE END OF THE MOVIE) the film spends a lot of time
developing the relationship between the mother and the son, as well as establishing several possible suspects (the charming store clerk, the neighbor with dementia, even maybe the scruffy looking police officer). And then it turns out that . . . it's just some random psycho? For me this was an incredible let down. It basically meant that all of the character work that came before was all for naught. The movie takes this sudden turn from thumps in the basement, missing cell phones, and interrupted showers to watching a woman's fingers being snapped and a teenage boy being terrorized by a much larger and stronger man. The shift is jarring, but not in a good way. There is not motivation given AT ALL for this cruelty and the movie even shies away at the end from showing what was either a strangulation or a drowning of the boy. It's like it wants to go there, but won't actually commit to its own nastiness. It all kind of left a sour taste for me.

I get that the world can be a cruel, unpredictable place. But in a narrative structured primarily around character work, having a killer who isn't part of the cast and whose face we never even see just feels empty. I might feel differently if the writing had been a little stronger, or if the characters had grown more during the film.

I guess I would still recommend it, but for me this one lands in the pile of horror movies that just didn't stick the landing.

I started another movie the other night that looks more promising. It's been on my watchlist for a while, and I know someone in here semi-recently talked about it. It's the film Demon about the guy who goes to Poland for his wedding and finds some human remains while doing yard work. So far I am really digging it.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:59 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I coincidentally watched Before I Wake today, and kind of waffled on my opinion throughout the film but ultimately found myself won over by the end. There's a lot of mumbo-jumbo involved and it uses some of my contemporary horror pet peeves, so this isn't an unqualified recommendation but I guess I liked it as much as Oculus, for example. Hush is still my favorite, with Gerald's Game on deck for tonight.

Also, if I ever meet Jacob Tremblay I'm going to buy him an ice cream cone or something. Poor lil' guy always seems to find himself in such unhappy situations.

I'd just advise him to avoid any films where he's playing the son of Naomi Watts. That track record so far is pretty hideous.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Rock wrote:
I like neither Immortals nor 300 (both look great in still frames and awkward as fuck in motion), but Immortals gets my vote for being less repetitive and obnoxiously macho. [i]300[/i] feels like the actors are about to start measuring dicks at any second. Also, if I remember correctly, Immortals has a dude in a bull mask hit another dude in the balls with a mallet, so that's another point in its favour.

To be fair, Greek mythology tended to be very macho in nature. Almost doubly so for anything dealing with Sparta (a military nut's paradise). So say what you will about Snyder, but you can't really blame 300 for being super macho. It's in its DNA much like Annie has the DNA of the Great Depression in its veins.

As for Zach Snyder's others, didn't care for Watchmen. Although I dug the character of Rorschach, the whole thing felt like overkill and two dimensional simultaneously. Dawn of the Dead was a solid remake even if a bit controversial due to how the zombies moved. I've yet to see Sucker Punch or Man of Steel or Batman vs Superman. Of those three, most likely to see Punch and least likely to see Steel due to how it supposedly ends.

As for Tarsem, the only film of his that I have seen was The Cell and it had some very striking visuals. But if I remember correctly, the story kinda was your typical woman dives deep into the sick mind of a serial killer.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
I finished Open House last night and I ended up being kind of mixed on it, but it's impossible to say why without literally explaining the very end of the movie.

I did like some of the camera angles and generally speaking I thought that the fraught mother-son dynamic at the center of the film felt real.

There were some "Really?" moments that bugged me. At one point, the real estate agent becomes aware that someone broke into the house. But rather than call the police, they just . . . call the people? Who then come home BY THEMSELVES to the house. Like, why did the real estate people not call the cops? Why did the people themselves not call the police and ask them to meet them there? This is kind of a turning point in the movie and it felt weird having such a stupid decision be in the middle of it.

I guess I would still recommend it, but for me this one lands in the pile of horror movies that just didn't stick the landing.

I started another movie the other night that looks more promising. It's been on my watchlist for a while, and I know someone in here semi-recently talked about it. It's the film Demon about the guy who goes to Poland for his wedding and finds some human remains while doing yard work. So far I am really digging it.

I saw the trailer of Open House and although it didn't exactly wow me, it did just enough for me to put it in its queue. Your semi-positive review probably has caused me to move it up the list.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I'm not done with it yet.

But based on what I've watched so far I'll say see it.

Well, truth be told I was gonna watch it anyway. I'm similarly preoccupied with the thought of a stranger having been in my home. (I had a conversation about that on RT, might've been with you.) I'm avoiding your spoilers until I've seen it.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:59 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Well, truth be told I was gonna watch it anyway. I'm similarly preoccupied with the thought of a stranger having been in my home. (I had a conversation about that on RT, might've been with you.) I'm avoiding your spoilers until I've seen it.

Yeah, my spoilers are super spoilers. But I'd love to chat about it when you're done.

Apex Predator wrote:
I saw the trailer of Open House and although it didn't exactly wow me, it did just enough for me to put it in its queue. Your semi-positive review probably has caused me to move it up the list.

It's not a bad movie. There are some amazing moments of atmosphere. But there is a distinct choice that is made in the last act (well, really the last 15 minutes) that strongly affected how I felt about the film. Others might have a different reaction, so I'll be interested to hear what you guys think.

It's also the first real directing/writing from the two people who both wrote and directed, so I'd definitely check out something else they did.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:00 am

Revenge of the Blood Beast

Brief bio of Michael Reeves for those unfamiliar: Directed 3 movies including one classic, then died of an overdose in his early 20s. That classic is Witchfinder General, one of my favorite movies and reason enough for me to blind-buy this one.

This is a weird one. First of all it's not a period piece, and while I wouldn't call it a true horror-comedy, there's lots of intentional attempts at humor (something WG definitely did NOT attempt). And yet the horror elements are played pretty straight as well, even though the monster is a ludicrous B-movie creation. The result is that the "funny" parts are seldom very funny and the "scary" parts are kind of undermined by the humor. So this one would be hard to recommend to most people.

IF, however, you are a fellow fan of WG, then this one shows enough of Reeves' style to make it of more than passing interest. First and foremost, what I like about WG is that Reeves films things in a way that feel very realistic. A film-maker can better describe what I'm talking about but he seems to favor wide shots and long takes for certain action scenes (like the torturing of accused witches), and something about that approach makes it feel like documentary. Also there are very few stereotypically "spooky" settings in WG, with most of the horror being filmed in broad daylight as opposed to dungeons or foggy forests, etc. Seems very modern to me in relation to other horror films of the 60s. And I don't know the terminology to describe what I'm thinking of here, but I just really like the way he films landscapes. All of that is present in RotBB to some extent, even if the surrounding film isn't nearly as good as WG.

Short version: Witchfinder General fans might get something out of this, most everyone else will find it dull and/or bad. Interested parties should also search for its alternate title The She-Beast.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 am

I posted this in the recently seen thread, but I finally went back and finished Bedlam.

I actually found it more emotionally upsetting than I'd expected. I felt like the movie went too easy on its critique of the system, as if giving people soft beds was the problem and not a classist system that basically lets rich people abuse and discard the poor and/or mentally ill. The movie's humor was definitely on the edge for me in terms of being too dark, but on the flip side I felt like the way that the romance was integrated into the movie sometimes felt lighter than what matched the tone of the film. Obviously very mixed feelings. This is one I might want to rewatch with a viewing buddy to talk things out as they are happening.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 am

I watched David Cronenberg's Rabid (1977). Scarier and more creepy than a lot of the horror I watch from this decade. Check it out if you're a fan of Cronenberg or movies about bad rabies infections.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:37 pm

For those wondering/caring, they got the WNUF Halloween Special up on Amazon Prime now. Heard some great things about it.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:21 am

Saturn 3 (1980)
starring Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel
directed by Stanley "Singin in the Rain" Donen

Sort of a sci-fi/horror mash up here. Some cool sets/costumes/space ships, but suffers from a weak script and no one involved seems to be comfortable with the material, from director on down to Farrah. Always fun to watch Keitel play an insane person, though.

Caveat Emptor: At no time does Farrah wear the outfit pictured above. You WILL, however, see Kirk's bare ass.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Saturn 3 (1980)

Sort of a sci-fi/horror mash up here. Some cool sets/costumes/space ships, but suffers from a weak script and no one involved seems to be comfortable with the material, from director on down to Farrah. Always fun to watch Keitel play an insane person, though.

Caveat Emptor: At no time does Farrah wear the outfit pictured above. You WILL, however, see Kirk's bare ass.

I saw this a bajillion years ago and always wondered whether or not I should revisit. Bummer about Farrah not wearing that outfit, that's kinda the selling point on the poster.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 am

Wooley wrote:

I saw this a bajillion years ago and always wondered whether or not I should revisit. Bummer about Farrah not wearing that outfit, that's kinda the selling point on the poster.

I would've loved it at age 9. Even now it was a fun way to spend a dreary Saturday morning in between naps, just didn't want anyone to expect quality film-making. If you grew up in this era there's some nostalgic value.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I would've loved it at age 9. Even now it was a fun way to spend a dreary Saturday morning in between naps, just didn't want anyone to expect quality film-making. If you grew up in this era there's some nostalgic value.

I did Wizards for this today.
It was ok. Felt like they did everything they could to stretch it to its hour and twenty minute run-time. And like the script was possibly made up as they were making the movie. Kinda like a buncha half-baked ideas were strung together.
Still, it was diverting. And I always love Bakshi's rotoscoped villains and battles.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 am

I've started the miniseries The Kingdom, Von Trier's horror series set in a hospital. It looks very television, but it is intriguing.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:55 am

Wooley wrote:
I did Wizards for this today.
It was ok. Felt like they did everything they could to stretch it to its hour and twenty minute run-time. And like the script was possibly made up as they were making the movie. Kinda like a buncha half-baked ideas were strung together.
Still, it was diverting. And I always love Bakshi's rotoscoped villains and battles.

Yeah, I love Wizards but not because it's good or anything, just certain segments/images that I really like. It's my comfort food, not necessarily good for me but I can't stop eating it. It's a good one for nap days, as I'm not really concerned about plot or missing a key scene or something.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 am

The Blood on Satan's Claw 1971

Recommended for fans of "17th century Satanists in the woods" movies. Kind of like a period version of Wicker Man (sort of). Good stuff.

OH YES!!

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Saturn 3 (1980)

I have not seen this, but Martin Amis pulled from his experiences working on the movie to write Money, which is a great book.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 am

Rock wrote:
I have not seen this, but Martin Amis pulled from his experiences working on the movie to write Money, which is a great book.

It definitely comes across as a film whose backstory is probably way more interesting than the product. The story isn't terrible and the sets/effects are not embarrassingly bad, so this had potential. But as I said, nothing about the film seemed to be a good fit. Why Donen for a space movie, for starters? Why a leading man 30+ years older than the leading lady? I'm not one to notice editing/continuity mistakes but there's a few of them in here. Also, there's a couple of jarring moments of gore that happen out of the blue. Not jarring in a good way, more like bizarre shifts in tone. Weird. Also, did I mention Kirk Douglas' senior-citizen-derriere?

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Why a leading man 30+ years older than the leading lady?

You could apply this question--or one very like it--to many movies.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:36 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Why Donen for a space movie, for starters?

In space, no one can hear you singin' in the rain.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Yeah, I love Wizards but not because it's good or anything, just certain segments/images that I really like. It's my comfort food, not necessarily good for me but I can't stop eating it. It's a good one for nap days, as I'm not really concerned about plot or missing a key scene or something.

I agree there was a lot of imagery I really liked. I like most of what Bakshi does, not just his animation style(s) and subject-matter, but his brand of surrealism and sleaze and horror and politics all kinda work for me.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

You could apply this question--or one very like it--to many movies.

Yeah, this is a very weird thing in Hollywood, why so many movies with old men in the lead and a leading actress half their age? Whose fantasy is this? Just old men, right? And how many of them go to the movies?
I mean, Sean Connery with a 29 year-old Catherine Zeta-Jones in Entrapment was just fucking ludicrous, just to pop off one example.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Rock wrote:
In space, no one can hear you singin' in the rain.

Nice.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, this is a very weird thing in Hollywood, why so many movies with old men in the lead and a leading actress half their age? Whose fantasy is this? Just old men, right? And how many of them go to the movies?

The age thing is something I've become fixated on recently, like I'm always whipping out the IMDB and doing the math while I'm watching stuff. Maybe because I'm getting older and the absurdity is more evident now? Anyhow, it really stood out in Saturn 3. I mean, we're talking about Spartacus and Charlie's Angels here. Watching them make out was just gross.

(another one I watched recently is North By Northwest, where Cary Grant's mother is played by an actress 8 years older than he. Meanwhile he's romancing the 20-years-younger Eva Marie Saint)

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Wooley wrote:
I agree there was a lot of imagery I really liked. I like most of what Bakshi does, not just his animation style(s) and subject-matter, but his brand of surrealism and sleaze and horror and politics all kinda work for me.

Yeah same here. Most of his movies have some significant flaw or another, but he's got such an individual point of view that I can overlook whatever shortcomings he has. And I know some people are opposed to the very idea of rotoscoping on principle, like it's cheating or something. Those people are dumb.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Watching them make out was just gross.

Aw, c'mon, man. Don't be ageist. Nothing wrong with old people popping off.

The disgusting thing is more the notion that older women are presumed to be less sexually desirable as they age, not necessarily that men aren't. This is still a difficult trend to break, but we did have Helen Mirren with a lover half her age in Love Ranch, and probably the best example was the nearly 50 Jane Fonda bedding a 35 Jeff Bridges in Morning After (and it was hot too).

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Aw, c'mon, man. Don't be ageist. Nothing wrong with old people popping off.

Yeah, I should elaborate because I didn't like the way I worded that. There's nothing inherently gross about a May-December romance. As a dude who's a solid October at this point, it's in my best interest to promote this sort of thing.
This one was gross because, like everything else in the movie, it was handled so clumsily. First of all, it's a movie, which means that at some point the pretty young actress was told "get naked and climb on top of the old guy". Is it possible that Farrah had a real-life crush on Kirk? Sure, but the implication is always going to be that this is more fun for the old guy.
Second and most important is that Farrah's performance is really stiff and lifeless throughout the film, and she's done no favors by the director in this regard. So when it comes time for sexy bits, the end result on-screen is that of an awkward, unenthusiastic pretty girl rolling around with the very enthusiastic old guy. No doubt this is a result of Kirk's superior acting skills, but it just makes for a difficult watch.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Right--the problem is in the assumption that men can be sexy and sexually viable into their 70s, but that women basically reach the end of their desirability in their early 30s. And people always defensively whip out examples like "But I'm always saying [Selma Hayak/Monica Bellucci/whoever] is sexy!". But consistently across the board older men are paired with younger women and when older women are paired with same-age or younger men, it's almost always in the context of a drama where the age gap is the point.

When Maggie Gyllenhaal (at the time in her early or mid 30s) is being told that she is "too old" to play the love interest opposite a man in his 50s, something is very wrong.

I think that at this point, we almost don't know how to recognize a male-female pairing when the people are the same age. I actually laughed out loud in Spectre at the part where they get off of the train together. It looked like a dad taking his daughter out for a day trip. And the movie didn't even take a moment to analyze the almost explicit way that she's like "I'm incredibly attracted to you because you're JUST like my dad!". Ha! What? Gross!

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:08 am

Captain Terror wrote:
The age thing is something I've become fixated on recently, like I'm always whipping out the IMDB and doing the math while I'm watching stuff. Maybe because I'm getting older and the absurdity is more evident now? Anyhow, it really stood out in Saturn 3. I mean, we're talking about Spartacus and Charlie's Angels here. Watching them make out was just gross.

(another one I watched recently is North By Northwest, where Cary Grant's mother is played by an actress 8 years older than he. Meanwhile he's romancing the 20-years-younger Eva Marie Saint)

I mean, there are a lot of May-December romances, and many of them work. When I became single several years back I was shocked that women a decade, fifteen years, even more were asking me out, so it's not like there's something inherently wrong with it.
It becomes wrong when it is so pervasive in movies that it becomes a genuine imbalance, when it is played as the norm rather than the exception, when the individual movies ignore the massive age-gap (cause I can tell you from experience, if you're in one of these situations it is a constant topic of conversation for those around you) and when 29 year-olds are falling for SIXTY-NINE YEAR OLDS (looking at you, wife-slapping Sean Connery), and it's treated like, well, of course.
It's kinda cringey just watching but then when you start thinking about the actresses as people and what they're having to do in order to get good work.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:45 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Yeah same here. Most of his movies have some significant flaw or another, but he's got such an individual point of view that I can overlook whatever shortcomings he has. And I know some people are opposed to the very idea of rotoscoping on principle, like it's cheating or something. Those people are dumb.

Opposition to rotoscoping, that's bullshit. It looks so fucking cool, especially the way he uses it where he only animates parts of the subjects so they're super-fucking creepily ethereal and eerie.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:46 am

Wooley wrote:
It's kinda cringey just watching but then when you start thinking about the actresses as people and what they're having to do in order to get good work.

That's what I was getting at. It's harder for me lately to separate the movie from the behind-the-scenes element. If you announced in 1980 that Farrah was going to do a nude scene and asked for volunteers, you'd get responses from every age group and continent on the planet. Safe to assume the response would be somewhat less enthusiastic for a "who wants to get naked with Kirk Douglas" survey. So I'm sticking with my assertion that this was a better day for Kirk than it was for Farrah. So the idea that she is in a situation where a director (also an old guy in this case) is asking her to do this just weirds me out. Granted, having to do a love scene with Kirk Douglas is not the same as, say, my grandpa, but still. Again, if they'd fallen in love in real life, gawd bless 'em. It's the prearranged element of movie-making that makes it weird.

PS--did some googling and Farrah was only 3 years younger than Michael Douglas. C'mon, Kirk!

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:56 am

Takoma1 wrote:
When Maggie Gyllenhaal (at the time in her early or mid 30s) is being told that she is "too old" to play the love interest opposite a man in his 50s, something is very wrong.

When Brie Larson was cast as Capt Marvel, there was some discussion that she isn't old enough (28) to have accomplished some of the things her character is supposed to have done. (I don't read the comic so I don't know what that is. Get multiple phDs or something. I made that up, but it's along those lines.) But of course we can't have a female superhero that's over 40. (Like Robert Downey Jr, Paul Rudd, Mark Ruffalo, etc) Diane Lane was born the same year as RDJ, but the idea of her being given the lead in a superhero film is unthinkable. The fact that Evangeline Lilly is the Wasp while pushing 40 is a miracle.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 am

VENOM 1981
Klaus Kinski and Oliver Reed in the same film; the behind-the-scenes footage must have been gold.
Kinski and Reed's plan to kidnap a kid and hold him hostage is complicated by the appearance of a Black Mamba snake. Happy to report that Reed's got it dialed to 11 from the beginning, like he's about to lose his goddamn mind at a moment's notice. Pretty sure he punches a child, although I might have imagined that.
Kinski seems positively understated in comparison, but he rallies late in the film, when
BOTH actors get to play a death-by-snake-bite scene. Kinski makes up for lost time in this scene, flailing, shooting, falling through a window.
Exquisite!
(That's the snake in his right hand.)

Kinski vs Reed---Winner: The Viewing Audience

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Right--the problem is in the assumption that men can be sexy and sexually viable into their 70s, but that women basically reach the end of their desirability in their early 30s. And people always defensively whip out examples like "But I'm always saying [Selma Hayak/Monica Bellucci/whoever] is sexy!". But consistently across the board older men are paired with younger women and when older women are paired with same-age or younger men, it's almost always in the context of a drama where the age gap is the point.

I think that at this point, we almost don't know how to recognize a male-female pairing when the people are the same age. I actually laughed out loud in Spectre at the part where they get off of the train together. It looked like a dad taking his daughter out for a day trip. And the movie didn't even take a moment to analyze the almost explicit way that she's like "I'm incredibly attracted to you because you're JUST like my dad!". Ha! What? Gross!
I didn't see Spectre (and may never, considering its somewhat mixed reviews), but you mentioning it and Bellucci in the same post reminded me of this interview he did while promoting it, where, after the interviewer stupidly asked him what it was like finally working with an "older" Bond woman in the form of Monica, he had to point out that she's just a couple of years older than he is, and, if anything, the weirder relationship in that film is between him and the 17 years-his-junior Seydoux.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

The Blood on Satan's Claw 1971

Recommended for fans of "17th century Satanists in the woods" movies. Kind of like a period version of Wicker Man (sort of). Good stuff.

OH YES!!

I last saw that film on TCM Underground back in 2008. Crazy, decent flick. Way better than The Witch.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Stu wrote:
I didn't see Spectre (and may never, considering its somewhat mixed reviews), but you mentioning it and Bellucci in the same post reminded me of this interview he did while promoting it, where, after the interviewer stupidly asked him what it was like finally working with an "older" Bond woman in the form of Monica, he had to point out that she's just a couple of years older than he is, and, if anything, the weirder relationship in that film is between him and the 17 years-his-junior Seydoux.

Wow. That is some telling shit there.
Plus, Monica Bellucci is HAF in that movie, damn.
BTW, Spectre catches a lot of shit, but it's not like there aren't several worse Bond movies. I personally didn't have any problem with it and, while it may have done some stupid things at times (but never as stupid as, say, Moonraker) it didn't get totally fucking stupid as the basis of its entire third act, like Skyfall.
So, I think you'd be ok to watch it.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 am

Wooley wrote:
BTW, Spectre catches a lot of shit, but it's not like there aren't several worse Bond movies. I personally didn't have any problem with it and, while it may have done some stupid things at times (but never as stupid as, say, Moonraker) it didn't get totally fucking stupid as the basis of its entire third act, like Skyfall.

Yeah far from the best Bond movie but also far from the worst. It’s worth watching for the helicopter sequence in the beginning alone.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 am

Wooley wrote:

Spectre is the only Craig Bond that I actively disliked. It felt very flat to me and I don't remember feeling any excitement (or any emotion, really) through the whole running time. I saw it in the theater with a crowd that seemed decently excited, but the energy totally faded as the movie went on.

I do like the chemistry between Bond and Q. Every other character pairing felt totally lifeless (the Craig-Bellucci sexy hook up being maybe the one exception).

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:47 am

Haven't been watching much Horror recently but heard some decent things about Happy Death Day so decided to check it out. It's not particularly scary, definitely more on the comedy side of Horror Comedy but it was pretty enjoyable. It had a couple of twists on the Groundhog Day style set up that were interesting even if they didn't quite follow up enough on them.
I appreciated the fact that the previous deaths seem to be having some sort of impact on her for awhile and therefore implied some sort of limit to how long she could actually go but then at the end it's just kind of ignored.
Still all in all I was quite entertained for the duration of the film and thought that in particular the lead actress gave a good and believable performance.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 am

daakmore wrote:
Haven't been watching much Horror recently but heard some decent things about Happy Death Day so decided to check it out. It's not particularly scary, definitely more on the comedy side of Horror Comedy but it was pretty enjoyable.

Amazon keeps insisting that I will like this movie. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:48 am

daakmore wrote:
Haven't been watching much Horror recently but heard some decent things about Happy Death Day so decided to check it out. It's not particularly scary, definitely more on the comedy side of Horror Comedy but it was pretty enjoyable. It had a couple of twists on the Groundhog Day style set up that were interesting even if they didn't quite follow up enough on them.
I appreciated the fact that the previous deaths seem to be having some sort of impact on her for awhile and therefore implied some sort of limit to how long she could actually go but then at the end it's just kind of ignored.
Still all in all I was quite entertained for the duration of the film and thought that in particular the lead actress gave a good and believable performance.

I have seen a Happy Death Day and pretty much agree here. Passable cineplex horror filler, although the nastyboy in me craved a bit more gratuitous violence. Charisma of the lead actress certainly helped matters. Was reminded in a way of Black Christmas...not in terms of quality, to be sure, but in how some of those Sorority girl looked a bit older than proper college age

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:43 am

Robert Eggers/Willem Dafoe/The Lighthouse

Eggers has written the script with Max Eggers, but has so far not revealed much about the story, beyond the fact that Dafoe is playing Old, an aging lighthouse keeper. The film is set at the dawn of the 20th century and will be a fantasy horror inspired by sea-faring myths and focused on the solitary watchmen in Maine.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Maybe it's a feel good movie and he finds his soulmate.

(I am excite. Excite I tell you!)

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:52 pm

This film, currently on Prime, holds the distinction as being my very favorite film with a dreaded 0% Tomatometer score. Lest we be ruled by the auspices of idiots, let us take a moment, perhaps 83 moments, to wrestle with the fact that this is, indeed, secretly a good movie. Not a bad movie that is entertainingly amusing. No, this film is quite aware of itself and exactly what kind of film it is. It is good because it embraces this with a cartoon enthusiasm that can wet the whistle of Tex Avery as much as Jon Kricfalusi. It is a good film because it addresses the serious issue of intergalactic waste disposal. And not least, it is a damn fine film in allowing for some of the best camp performers to do their fiendish freak - Gerrit Graham (Phantom of the Paradise) and Mary Woronov (Eating Raoul) are the swinging yuppie parents, Alejandro Rey (Fun in Acapulco) and Randi Brooks (Man With Two Brains) play the spicy strangers, and Diane Franklin (Better Off Dead) and Jon Gries (Real Genius) play the punk teens, so disaffected by decadent hedonism. Even little Sherman is played by Chad Allen, who would go on to play in acclaimed gay detective fare like On the Other Hand, Death.

The monster, accidentally transmitted into a random satellite dish from the trash planet Pluton, is a misunderstood soul. Once a pet, for an unnamed owner whom we only see in brief flashback as a leather studded glove, tenderly tickling its spam-like chin. If only it can find affection here on Earth, instead of filthy frivolity and fearful prejudice. The film expertly reminds us who the real ugly alien life is. (Hint: it's us)

Watch this film with care. Take heed. Tip the waitress.

Alan Rudolph was a protoge for Robert Altman, and this is one of two horror films with which he started his career before making his first pseudo-Altman statement with Welcome to L.A.. Rudolph's career was always a bit sketchy, but he could occasionally turn in some interesting films, probably peaking in the late 90s with Afterglow, Trixie and Breakfast of Champions (another hated, low-score film that happens to be an admirable attempt at Vonnegut's most unfilmable novel).

This film - my favorite of its many alternate titles is The Barn of the Naked Dead - was made in between Rudolph's AD work on Long Goodbye and Nashville. Forget about all that, this film bears little resemblence to those films. It involves three young women en route to Vegas who get picked up in the middle of the desert and forced in chains to join a sinister "circus" prowling with some kind of mutant madman. There are flashes of sophistication, some nice tracking compositions. But it only accentuates that a good grindhouse director needs specific skills that are not of necessity polished, and this sophistication only manages to make this film seem all the more uniquely incompetent as a horror film. It doesn't help to have Andrew Prine sulking around, proving here to be as much of a dweeb as a villain as he was as the hero in the silly Hannah, Queen of the Vampires. His assless lurch gets a little Norman Bates flavor, but he seems not so much crazy as a twit. The barn full of (not naked) women has some cute 70s pin-ups, like Jennifer Ashley and Jeane Manson, but it's all ruined with the crying and wailing. And the worst part is this mutant stalking the grounds. Rudolph could have sprung for some decent make-up FX, I'm sure of it. This cheapness matches Prine's pissy attitude in general, as if he made the movie or something, but it's less excusable from the assistent director of Academy Award motion pictures. Hopefully, Altman himself was high enough to laugh a lot at this piece of shit, before telling Rudolph to go back to doing what he tells him to do.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:42 am

Terror-vision is great. As suggested, the general arguments of critics who have slagged it off are always embarrassing. No, they don't get it.

Barn of the Naked Dead is fucking terrible.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Barn of the Naked Dead is fucking terrible.

Yes. And this is why I prefer this title to Terror Circus or Nightmare Circus or whatever else. With Barn of the Naked Dead, I feel there's a full disclosure of what you're getting into. "Barn of the Naked Dead is fucking terrible". Because of course it is.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 1504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next