It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Stu wrote:
I meant that "suitingly" in the sense that it made sense that a character in a Jordan Peele-directed movie would feel like a refugee from a Key & Peele skit, not in the sense that I liked his character in the film, because... I really didn't. Like I said, he was fairly obnoxious.

:shifty:

I liked him, but it's cool if you didn't.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:44 am

Saw the Star Wars.
It was a mixed bag.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Wooley wrote:
Saw the Star Wars.
It was a mixed bag.
I thought it had some moderate flaws, but I really liked it on the whole; going to review it soon. So, what'd you think was good, what'd you think was bad?

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I see why you consider it to be more of a reveal than a twist since the twist involves revealing info we weren't made aware of. Strangely enough, I often tend to think of reveals as twists. I feel like reveals are sort of a sub-genre of twists, so I'm comfortable with categorizing reveals as both reveals and twists. It might just be a difference in interpretation between us though.

I guess I might say that a twist is a reveal that discovers something that is intended to be totally unexpected by the audience. For example, "he was dead the whole time" or "he was Tyler Durden all along" as opposed to even something like the Norman Bates reveal in Psycho, where it's still like 50/50 when the reveal comes, the audience knows it's either him or his mother, but it's definitely not unexpected, therefore not a "twist", or in the case of Get Out, here is finally the explanation you've been waiting for and, while it might not have been exactly the explanation you were expecting, it fits perfectly well with expectations.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
On a side note, It Comes at Night is still my favorite horror film of 2017.

I'm gonna have to rewatch this movie with a totally different set of expectations. It suffered from Berberian Sound Studio syndrome with me the first time.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Wooley wrote:
I guess I might say that a twist is a reveal that discovers something that is intended to be totally unexpected by the audience. For example, "he was dead the whole time" or "he was Tyler Durden all along" as opposed to even something like the Norman Bates reveal in Psycho, where it's still like 50/50 when the reveal comes, the audience knows it's either him or his mother, but it's definitely not unexpected, therefore not a "twist", or in the case of Get Out, here is finally the explanation you've been waiting for and, while it might not have been exactly the explanation you were expecting, it fits perfectly well with expectations.

To some extent, I agree. The fact that an explanation as to what made the black characters behave the way they did wouldn't be unexpected as anybody would expect an explanation of any kind to occur at some point. However, if someone didn't guess that brain transplanting was responsible for the behavior of the black characters, it means that that half of the twist was unexpected as they might not have guessed the cause of the black character's behaviors.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Stu wrote:
I thought it had some moderate flaws, but I really liked it on the whole; going to review it soon. So, what'd you think was good, what'd you think was bad?

I thought that:

The Rey arc, the Kylo arc, and the Luke arc all worked and were what we wanted (not necessarily the exact story we wanted, but the right feel). Not the way I expected Luke to turn out, but I actually liked it.
The Poe arc was kind of a disaster, just downright shabby, really, and I've gotten confirmation from other viewers that it wasn't just me.
And Finn and the random new character were given a pointless (in terms of this film, Finn's character, the overall arc, anything) fool's errand that seemed almost to be there solely to fluff out 20 or so minutes of screen-time, shoe-horn in (and I'm being kind) a topical socio-political theme that seems to come out of nowhere and go right back there, and at least give Finn something to do in the movie since his character, having brought Rey into the Rebellion in the last film, no longer has a function at all.

And that's just a quick one-pass, there were more specific things that I did like and more specific things that I didn't.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
To some extent, I agree. The fact that an explanation as to what made the black characters behave the way they did wouldn't be unexpected as anybody would expect an explanation of any kind to occur at some point. However, if someone didn't guess that brain transplanting was responsible for the behavior of the black characters, it means that that half of the twist was unexpected as they might not have guessed the cause of the black character's behaviors.

Definitely wouldn't argue that...
... it turning out to be physical transplantation is the mechanism was not particularly expected, but I didn't think the mechanism was the matter, it was just a surprisingly grisly and intense reveal... you already know metaphysically what's happening to these people at by that point, it's just a grisly surprise that it actually involves getting their heads cut open. But no, I didn't exactly see that coming, I thought it was more of a mind transplantation, as that was clearly the intent of the blind artist guy, especially once the bidding starts. If there's a twist in the movie, I would say that it's more that his girlfriend turns out to be the bait, although that seemed maybe not obvious but highly likely by that point in the film.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Wooley wrote:
Definitely wouldn't argue that...
... it turning out to be physical transplantation is the mechanism was not particularly expected, but I didn't think the mechanism was the matter, it was just a surprisingly grisly and intense reveal... you already know metaphysically what's happening to these people at by that point, it's just a grisly surprise that it actually involves getting their heads cut open. But no, I didn't exactly see that coming, I thought it was more of a mind transplantation, as that was clearly the intent of the blind artist guy, especially once the bidding starts. If there's a twist in the movie, I would say that it's more that his girlfriend turns out to be the bait, although that seemed maybe not obvious but highly likely by that point in the film.

Actually, I guess I can see where you're coming from now. Perhaps, the word reveal is more appropriate for the scene we're discussing. Although, as I said to crumbs, I'm willing to concede that my complaint for this aspect is invalid. Maybe a 2nd viewing will make me appreciate the film more.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Wooley wrote:

I thought that:

The Rey arc, the Kylo arc, and the Luke arc all worked and were what we wanted (not necessarily the exact story we wanted, but the right feel). Not the way I expected Luke to turn out, but I actually liked it.
The Poe arc was kind of a disaster, just downright shabby, really, and I've gotten confirmation from other viewers that it wasn't just me.
And Finn and the random new character were given a pointless (in terms of this film, Finn's character, the overall arc, anything) fool's errand that seemed almost to be there solely to fluff out 20 or so minutes of screen-time, shoe-horn in (and I'm being kind) a topical socio-political theme that seems to come out of nowhere and go right back there, and at least give Finn something to do in the movie since his character, having brought Rey into the Rebellion in the last film, no longer has a function at all.

And that's just a quick one-pass, there were more specific things that I did like and more specific things that I didn't.

Your basic take on the film is damn near a mirror for mine. I was hoping that Rian Johnson would deliver a masterpiece and he didn't, it's a very mixed bag with some truly great moments.

The Rey/Kylo interactions in particular had such emotion and really helped to understand where they are as people and where they might go from here.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 am

The House In Marsh Road (1960)

Those of you combing Amazon Prime's b&w nether regions will probably come across this eventually. Not very scary in terms of atmosphere. The house in question looks like the set of a 50s sitcom. However, there is a poltergeist, the actors are competent enough, and it's only an hour long. Spouses cheat, people die, pretty ladies are referred to as "dish"...good times.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:50 am

Captain Terror wrote:

The House In Marsh Road (1960)

Those of you combing Amazon Prime's b&w nether regions will probably come across this eventually. Not very scary in terms of atmosphere. The house in question looks like the set of a 50s sitcom. However, there is a poltergeist, the actors are competent enough, and it's only an hour long. Spouses cheat, people die, pretty ladies are referred to as "dish"...good times.

I'm in.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Good to see so many familiar faces in here.

My most recent horror watch was a real let-down, the promisingly-titled Red Christmas. But the movie couldn't pick a tone, and it seemed like it wanted to go for over-the-top exploitation, but the acting and the kills never really lived up to expectations. There were some pretty powerful moments (and I appreciated the inclusion of an actor with Down's Syndrome in a way that was plot-relevant and gave the movie more emotional heft than it deserved), but ultimately the movie manages to be both too slow/flat and at the same time too mean-spirited and confusing to recommend.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:51 am

Was there a discussion about A Dark Song over at our previous home? Can't remember. A woman enlists an occult guy to carry out a ritual for her, and about 90% of the film's duration consists of these two characters performing the ritual. Surprisingly watchable in spite of that, but this doesn't strike me as one that any of you would like. I'm sure Rumpled hated this one if he saw it. However, I'm giving it an extra star based on one weird thing that happens that was completely unexpected. Depending on the viewer it might be the best or worst part of the film, but it was something I haven't seen before, so that counts for something.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:48 am

I don't remember much about Red Christmas except that I watched it a few months back. Mostly for Dee Wallace.

PS - Right now I'm more excited to see The Shape of Water than The Last Jedi. Those reviews are swooning and Del Toro is a master.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 am

Hoping this week to see Get Out.

Yeah for two free Redbox rentals. Not sure what the other one will be used on.

Was going to try to see Star Wars: Last Jedi on Thursday afternoon, but leaning towards a raincheck for another time now. Maybe when I'm less sick.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 am

Nice to see around Apex Predator. This is lux. I'd personally advise against seeing Get Out but my friend and I are in the minority on that one. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Agnes

It's me, Billy

Don't tell Mother what we did

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote:
Agnes

It's me, Billy

Don't tell Mother what we did

"Could that really be just one person?"

"No, Clare, it's the Mormon Tabernacle Choir making their annual obscene phone call."

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:12 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

Agreed.

I think that a good twist does two things: it completely pulls the rug out from under you going forward and it redefines what has come before.

For example (yeah, we all know it, but I'm tagging it anyway), the fact that in The Sixth Sense
Bruce Willis' character is dead is an amazing twist. When you rewatch the movie it is there,
and yet I (who often guesses plot points well in advance) was completely surprised by it. In my opinion it is a plot element that enriches a second viewing. It is a huge moment in the movie, it is thematically and plot relevant, and the heart of the twist is in the emotions of the characters and their plot arcs.

To me, the biggest surprise in Get Out was that
the main character was not killed by the police in the end. Seriously. I saw the movie in a theater with an engaged and boisterous crowd.
But when that police car pulls up at the end, you could have heard a pin drop in our theater. This was the one moment during the movie that we felt genuine dread for the character, and the obvious parallel to the ending of NOTLD makes it feel even more ominous for a horror fan.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:31 am

I might be a bit delayed on It Comes at Night...but it's not bad so far.

For those wondering, it feels like the film The Blackcoat's Daughter should have been.

Full of oozing atmosphere, but more effort at paying it off with scares.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:56 am

Apex Predator wrote:

For those wondering, it feels like the film The Blackcoat's Daughter should have been.

That was one of my favorite movies of the year. Probably my favorite overall. Very engaging even though it is pretty vague.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:57 am

Apex Predator wrote:
it feels like the film The Blackcoat's Daughter should have been.

: [

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:57 am

Apex Predator wrote:

The "scary" parts (I assume you mean the son's nightmares) of It Comes At Night were my least favorite scenes in the movie, actually; too much cliched imagery and hacky symbolism. I can't help but feel the movie would've probably been better just remaining a minimalist survival thriller, instead of trying to shoehorn in the unnecessary "horror" moments as well; keep it simple, filmmakers.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:25 pm

So the Amazon Fire Stick has just added a Firefox app, no doubt in anticipation of the impending Youtube-i-cide*. What this means is that I will now be able to watch Queen of Spades on my TV. I'll just have to ignore the giant yellow Russian subtitles.

*http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/google-blocks-youtube-fire-tv-echo-show-1202631248/

Here's the (possibly virus-infected) link, if anyone else is interested--

https://ok.ru/video/235866819097

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

Agreed.

I think that a good twist does two things: it completely pulls the rug out from under you going forward and it redefines what has come before.

For example (yeah, we all know it, but I'm tagging it anyway), the fact that in The Sixth Sense
Bruce Willis' character is dead is an amazing twist. When you rewatch the movie it is there,
and yet I (who often guesses plot points well in advance) was completely surprised by it. In my opinion it is a plot element that enriches a second viewing. It is a huge moment in the movie, it is thematically and plot relevant, and the heart of the twist is in the emotions of the characters and their plot arcs.

To me, the biggest surprise in Get Out was that
the main character was not killed by the police in the end. Seriously. I saw the movie in a theater with an engaged and boisterous crowd.
But when that police car pulls up at the end, you could have heard a pin drop in our theater. This was the one moment during the movie that we felt genuine dread for the character, and the obvious parallel to the ending of NOTLD makes it feel even more ominous for a horror fan.

Well, in regards to Get Out:
originally yes he was supposed to die or get arrested.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:56 pm

MadMan wrote:
Well, in regards to Get Out:
originally yes he was supposed to die or get arrested.

I was really surprised in the theater when he
wasn't killed. But then later I watched the movie as a rental from Amazon and it included the "deleted ending" and I was surprised again when it was just him being in jail and not being shot. I mean, he's standing over an injured woman with a shotgun in his hand.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Off-topic:
Takoma1, I really dig your avatar. :heart: Kirikou :heart:

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:53 am
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
Off-topic:
Takoma1, I really dig your avatar. :heart: Kirikou :heart:

Thanks!--it's a film I really enjoy on multiple levels.

Guys--I am really sick. I'm on the couch enjoying a raspberry popsicle and "enjoying" the MST3K of Zombie Nightmare. I'm in the mood for something horror or thriller, nothing too bleak or gory. Any recommendations? On Netflix I'm looking at Temple. I see Amazon Prime has Dead Body and Altered Minds (2015 version). Thoughts?

Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:42 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Guys--I am really sick. I'm on the couch enjoying a raspberry popsicle and "enjoying" the MST3K of Zombie Nightmare. I'm in the mood for something horror or thriller, nothing too bleak or gory. Any recommendations? On Netflix I'm looking at Temple. I see Amazon Prime has Dead Body and Altered Minds (2015 version). Thoughts?

I've also had my eye on Temple, so maybe you should watch that and report back.
I liked Darling (on Netflix), which is kind of Repulsion-esque. And short. Can't remember if you've seen I Am the Pretty Thing.. but JJ & I are both fans.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:08 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Sweet Home is an underseen gem of a home invasion movie. Wonderfully shot and acted, tense as hell.

The Last Survivors is a solid little post-apocalyptic thriller. Also deserves more attention.

Hope ya feel better!

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks for the recs, guys. I'm looking at Darling and Last Survivors.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:30 am

The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave - 7.5/10

Moderately entertaining giallo, replete with requisite sex, sadism and the supernatural macguffin. Not quite as classy as the stylistically similar Red Queen Kills Seven Times.

Fear X - 7.5/10

Eary Nicolas Winding Refn, co-written by Hubert Selby Jr and featuring a score by Brian Eno. Sounds like a can't-miss proposition. The result has the rich colors and hypnotic tone we expect from Refn, as well as an ineffable script with deliberately obfuscated plot-points that will either intrigue or infuriate. I fell mostly in the former camp, but I can't deny that there's something ultimately missing from the story, like any kind of resolution whatsoever. John Turturro is reliably compelling.

The Devil's Partner - 6/10

Cheapie from 1961, starts promisingly with a decrepit but evocative B&W scene of an occult goat-slaying, but most of the film gets derailed by forced romantic melodrama (which makes sense, as leading lady June Allison is the closest thing to a star here) which is largely irrelevant to this nefarious premise. The film bogs down into police procedural - of a certain Andy Griffith variety - and it just doesn't make much sense why this sinister power being invoked (to change into animals mostly) is seemingly for petty squabbles rather than actual accumalation of power. As far as early occult films, it's no Night of the Demon or Devil's Bride.

The Stepmother - 5/10 (Alejandro Rey deserves a 9/10)

Not really a horror film, I found out, but a tale of criminal jealousy or something. But the cast is interesting. It stars the car salesman from Psycho ("Sick of the sight of it") as the main detective, and Alejandro Rey (who I know mainly as the Greek guy in Terrorvision) is quite a swarthy Al Pacino doppleganger playing the emotionally tempestuous husband who understands the pain of sometimes having to drop your best friend off a roof.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:09 am

Jinnistan wrote:
The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave - 7.5/10

Moderately entertaining giallo, replete with requisite sex, sadism and the supernatural macguffin. Not quite as classy as the stylistically similar Red Queen Kills Seven Times.

I've been meaning to watch this for years and it's just never the right movie on the right night. Hopefully I'll catch it soonish, I'm kinda done with saving all my horror movies for October (which I've done for over a decade).

Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:42 am

Wooley wrote:
I've been meaning to watch this for years and it's just never the right movie on the right night. Hopefully I'll catch it soonish, I'm kinda done with saving all my horror movies for October (which I've done for over a decade).

It's been a bit hyped recently, for some reason, and has some moments. Personally, Torso was the best giallo I saw last year, and I'd recommend several others (recently rewatched Your Vice is a Locked Room, Lisa and rhe Devil, Don't Torture a Duckling and Lizard in Woman's Skin) before it.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:43 am

It Comes At Night - 7.5/10

The film is handsomely made, tense atmosphere and decent acting, and they work wonders with a flood light in a lantern. It just doesn't add up to much.

And, no, it's not as good as Blackcoat's Daughter.

edit: oh, and Takoma, I didn't recommend it because it seems like not an ideal film to watch while deathly ill.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:48 am

Jinnistan wrote:
It Comes At Night - 7.5/10

The film is handsomely made, tense atmosphere and decent acting, and they work wonders with a flood light in a lantern. It just doesn't add up to much.

And, no, it's not as good as Blackcoat's Daughter.

edit: oh, and Takoma, I didn't recommend it because it seems like not an ideal film to watch while deathly ill.
That's pretty much how I felt about ICAN; too simplistic and pointless for me to likely ever want to watch it again, but the style was vividly creepy enough for me not to regret watching it the one time that I did.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:23 pm

The Shape of Water was a beautiful piece of magical realism on par with Cronos, the Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. The plot offers few surprises but that's the nature of telling a fairy tale, whether set during a modern war or not. It succeeds because the world, characters and emotion are so rich.

I especially love that the film feels like an act of frustration on Del Toro's part where he chose to combine multiple failed projects into one successful one: Creature from the Black Lagoon remake/sequel, Beauty and the Beast adaptation and stand alone Abe Sapien story.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:27 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The Shape of Water was a beautiful piece of magical realism on par with Cronos, the Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. The plot offers few surprises but that's the nature of telling a fairy tale, whether set during a modern war or not. It succeeds because the world, characters and emotion are so rich.

I especially love that the film feels like an act of frustration on Del Toro's part where he chose to combine multiple failed projects into one successful one: Creature from the Black Lagoon remake/sequel, Beauty and the Beast adaptation and stand alone Abe Sapien story.

For those of you who've seen it, what do you think of its chances at the Oscars? My gut says it's too weird to win Best Picture, but on the other hand it checks off lots of boxes, especially for a post-Trump/post-Weinstein ceremony.
*Main character with disability
*Del Toro has referred to the film as a "love letter to cinema", which is always popular with Academy voters (see: The Artist, et al)
*Our bad guy is basically White Male Privilege on legs. Racist, xenophobic and makes unwanted advances towards a woman who literally has no voice.
*The director is a Mexican

But still, it's too weird to win. Maybe it'll be like La La Land and win everything but BP. I'd love to see Big G win Best Director at least. I've been a fan since 93-94, back when Cronos was his only movie. I don't actually have much interest in the Oscars, just rooting for my guy is all.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 am

Captain Terror wrote:

For those of you who've seen it, what do you think of its chances at the Oscars? My gut says it's too weird to win Best Picture, but on the other hand it checks off lots of boxes, especially for a post-Trump/post-Weinstein ceremony.
*Main character with disability
*Del Toro has referred to the film as a "love letter to cinema", which is always popular with Academy voters (see: The Artist, et al)
*Our bad guy is basically White Male Privilege on legs. Racist, xenophobic and makes unwanted advances towards a woman who literally has no voice.
*The director is a Mexican

But still, it's too weird to win. Maybe it'll be like La La Land and win everything but BP. I'd love to see Big G win Best Director at least. I've been a fan since 93-94, back when Cronos was his only movie. I don't actually have much interest in the Oscars, just rooting for my guy is all.

I think it will definitely get nominated and is probably a lock for make up effects but as you said, the Academy doesn't tend to go for "weird" and it certainly is that. I feel like Lady Bird is the most likely to win at the moment.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:46 am

Lady Bird got 100% on the tomatometer. I love Greta Gerwig and I plan to watch it soon.

Then again The Shape of Water did win the top prize at Venice Film Festival and that was a surprise. Del Toro's thank you speech was great. He got all teary-eyed.

I'm hoping Daniel Craig will get nominated for supporting actor for Logan Lucky. He was so good.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:51 am

Did anyone else here see A Ghost Story? If so, what did you guys think of it? I really enjoyed it when I saw it.

The Shape of Water is on my watchlist.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Did anyone else here see A Ghost Story? If so, what did you guys think of it? I really enjoyed it when I saw it.

I saw it and liked it. It had great little moments like the pie scene and that long conversation at the party, but I felt that in its treatment of loss and grief and time moving on, it didn't seem to me like it offered much beyond delivering exactly what I figured it was going to say about such things. For such a supposedly unconventional film, I felt like I knew what every scene was leading to. For a movie that puts its main character beneath a bed sheet for almost the entire run, it felt weirdly riskless. None of that is necessarily a crime in itself, but it all seemed too well mannered and obvious to really hit me as deeply as I expected it wanted to.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:12 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I saw it and liked it. It had great little moments like the pie scene and that long conversation at the party, but I felt that in its treatment of loss and grief and time moving on, it didn't seem to me like it offered much beyond delivering exactly what I figured it was going to say about such things. For such a supposedly unconventional film, I felt like I knew what every scene was leading to. For a movie that puts its main character beneath a bed sheet for almost the entire run, it felt weirdly riskless. None of that is necessarily a crime in itself, but it all seemed too well mannered and obvious to really hit me as deeply as I expected it wanted to.

I wouldn't say I knew where it was leading to. For instance, the scene where the man's house was bulldozed and a buzzing metropolis was built around him came as a complete surprise to me since time was only moving by in short periods. I also didn't expect the movie to go back to the 19th century. I didn't expect that the film would go in any of those directions. I'd say that this movie took a lot of risks though, not just due to putting the main character under a bedsheet for most of the film, but simply for being as unconventional as it was. I agree with you on the pie scene though. Many people used that scene as a reference point when calling this film pretentious, but I thought it was great.

Anyways, what's your favorite film of 2017 so far? Of what I've seen, I'd say I enjoyed Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri the most.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 am

Shape of Water will win make-up and costume design and stuff like that.

Dunno if I have a standout favorite of 2017 but the ones in contention are Get Out, Big Sick, Dunkirk, Baby Driver, and Molly’s Game.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:56 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I wouldn't say I knew where it was leading to. For instance, the scene where the man's house was bulldozed and a buzzing metropolis was built around him came as a complete surprise to me since time was only moving by in short periods. I also didn't expect the movie to go back to the 19th century. I didn't expect that the film would go in any of those directions. I'd say that this movie took a lot of risks though, not just due to putting the main character under a bedsheet for most of the film, but simply for being as unconventional as it was. I agree with you on the pie scene though. Many people used that scene as a reference point when calling this film pretentious, but I thought it was great.

Anyways, what's your favorite film of 2017 so far? Of what I've seen, I'd say I enjoyed Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri the most.

There was just something about the manner in which the film was depicting time in its slow calculated way, as Casey Afflecks character remains in this house as the whole world moves on, that it was inevitable that he would end up still alone in the distant future. Then, considering I felt it was pretty obvious that the mysterious sounds the couple hear at the beginning of the film were Affleck's ghost, that time would wrap around and it would begin all over again, with him witness to his own life. Sure, it may sound somewhat convoluted the way I've just written it, but it just all seemed inevitable to me. Which is maybe part of the point. Being ahead of a film doesn't mean it is wrong, or bad, but it just ended up diluting its impact for me. Still a good enough film though.

As for favoruite film of this year? I'm terrible at keeping up to date on shit. I am generally looking backwards way more than forwards. As a result I've barely seen anything. And I'm also terrible at remembering what films comes out in what year, so it's possible I've seen more than I think, but I am under the impression they are older than they are. So the only movie that comes to mind that would definitely be in contention is mother! I did have my reservations about it, but when it comes to sheer originality and mind fuckery, as well as a strong suspicion that it only gets better upon rewatch, that might be my baby.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:02 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

There was just something about the manner in which the film was depicting time in its slow calculated way, as Casey Afflecks character remains in this house as the whole world moves on, that it was inevitable that he would end up still alone in the distant future. Then, considering I felt it was pretty obvious that the mysterious sounds the couple hear at the beginning of the film were Affleck's ghost, that time would wrap around and it would begin all over again, with him witness to his own life. Sure, it may sound somewhat convoluted the way I've just written it, but it just all seemed inevitable to me. Which is maybe part of the point, being ahead of a film doesn't mean it is wrong, but it just ended up diluting its impact for me. Still a good enough film though.

As for favoruite film of this year? I'm terrible at keeping up to date on shit. I am generally looking backwards way more than forwards. As a result I've barely seen anything. And I'm also terrible at remembering what films comes out in what year, so it's possible I've seen more than I think, but I am under the impression they are older than they are. So the only movie that comes to mind that would definitely be in contention is mother! I did have my reservations about it, but when it comes to sheer originality and mind fuckery, as well as a strong suspicion that it only gets better upon rewatch, that might be my baby.

I'll agree with you on the time loop being predictable. I grew a bit suspicious myself. As for the rest of the film though, I'm still standing by what I said as the rate at which time went by led to a few surprises for me (in fact, the bulldozer destroying the house made me jump a bit). I respect your opinion though.

I haven't seen mother! yet, but I plan to soon.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I respect your opinion though.

Hahaha.

Boy, I've sure got you fooled.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I haven't seen mother! yet, but I plan to soon.

She's been waiting by the phone for months, spawn. It's Christmas, goddamn it.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
She's been waiting by the phone for months, spawn. It's Christmas, goddamn it.

I've been slacking a lot this year. I usually wait till late December and early January to watch films from the current year. I'll try to watch it sometime this week though.

crumbsroom wrote:

Hahaha.

Boy, I've sure got you fooled.

Huh?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next