It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 50  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Huh?

I don't respect my own opinion, so it is hilarious for me when I see anyone else claiming to do what I never would.

In short, it's a self deprecating joke. Basically the only kind I make. At least the only kind I make whenever I'm taking a break between disrespecting the opinions of everyone else.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:35 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I don't respect my own opinion, so it is hilarious for me when I see anyone else claiming to do what I never would.

In short, it's a self deprecating joke. Basically the only kind I make. At least the only ones I make whenever I'm taking a break between disrespecting the opinions of everyone else.

Gotcha.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Did anyone else here see A Ghost Story? If so, what did you guys think of it? I really enjoyed it when I saw it.

The Shape of Water is on my watchlist.

I saw Ghost Story. It's good, not great. Kinda weird. There's one really terrific scene though with Rooney Mara.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:28 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I saw it and liked it. It had great little moments like the pie scene and that long conversation at the party, but I felt that in its treatment of loss and grief and time moving on, it didn't seem to me like it offered much beyond delivering exactly what I figured it was going to say about such things. For such a supposedly unconventional film, I felt like I knew what every scene was leading to. For a movie that puts its main character beneath a bed sheet for almost the entire run, it felt weirdly riskless. None of that is necessarily a crime in itself, but it all seemed too well mannered and obvious to really hit me as deeply as I expected it wanted to.

Yeah, the pie scene. That was really great.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 pm

ski petrol wrote:

Yeah, the pie scene. That was really great.

I like pie.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I like pie.

I hate all desserts.

Unless it's ice cream.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:33 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I hate all desserts.

Unless it's ice cream.

Fun Fact: A while ago when I was at Baskin Robbins, I saw that crumbsroom was the name of an ice cream flavor.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fun Fact: A while ago when I was at Baskin Robbins, I saw that crumbsroom was the name of an ice cream flavor.

Good Lord, can you imagine what that tastes like?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:55 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

30 year old Romilar?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
30 year old Romilar?

You know me so well.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:58 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I don't know. I didn't order it.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:04 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
You know me so well.

What? Hold on, I have a tribe of little Sumerians in my carpet.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The Shape of Water was a beautiful piece of magical realism on par with Cronos, the Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. The plot offers few surprises but that's the nature of telling a fairy tale, whether set during a modern war or not. It succeeds because the world, characters and emotion are so rich.

I especially love that the film feels like an act of frustration on Del Toro's part where he chose to combine multiple failed projects into one successful one: Creature from the Black Lagoon remake/sequel, Beauty and the Beast adaptation and stand alone Abe Sapien story.
I'm still really, really hoping that this ends up expanding out to my area; I loved Pan's Labyrinth, and this looks like it's be the perfect sort of spiritual successor to that. I also had no idea GDT had even more cancelled projects that I'd never heard of; between those and all of these, he seems like the best director since Tarantino to constantly not follow through with planned films...
ski petrol wrote:
I'm hoping Daniel Craig will get nominated for supporting actor for Logan Lucky. He was so good.
Yep, Mr. Bond did put in a surprisingly effective change-of-pace performance in that, didn't he? "I am in-car-ce-ra-ted". :D I heard someone complain that he put in a poor performance in Logan Lucky, which I don't see at all; if you ask me, Hilary Swank did a much worse job in that film. She was just so forced in her wannabe steely delivery, that she just completely took me out of the movie every scene she was in. Fortunately, she wasn't enough to ruin it, at the very least.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:07 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I hate all desserts.

Unless it's ice cream.

I blame that on too much porridge.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:57 am

Jinnistan wrote:
It Comes At Night - 7.5/10

The film is handsomely made, tense atmosphere and decent acting, and they work wonders with a flood light in a lantern. It just doesn't add up to much.

And, no, it's not as good as Blackcoat's Daughter.

edit: oh, and Takoma, I didn't recommend it because it seems like not an ideal film to watch while deathly ill.

Will respectfully disagree on the quality on this film, having just seen it.

On the other hand, will agree that it's not ideal as a horror while recovering from illness.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:00 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Booze and maple syrup, I'm guessing.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:05 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Booze and maple syrup, I'm guessing.

Being a nearby denizen of Toronto's Chinatown and its open-until-dawn menagerie of restaurants, it's maybe less maple syrup, and more egg roll scented barf. Everything else though you got pretty bang on.

Give me two scoops!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:23 am

Apex Predator wrote:

I blame that on too much porridge.

No such thing. Porridge is wonderful. Just add brown sugar and cream. In no time you will be just like Oliver Twist, asking for more. And quickly forced into a life of destitute poverty.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am

I tried to make the alien barf from Bad Taste by combining oatmeal, Lucky Charms, Trix and whole cream. I would have gone with cream corn but, dammit, I was determined to actually make it edible.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:41 am

When Dario Argento wanted to reflect on the implications of his work, he made Tenebre, a superlative thriller that’s one of his best films. When Lucio Fulci wanted to reflect on the implications of his work, he made A Cat in the Brain, which is far from a superlative thriller and ranks I couldn’t guess where in his filmography (he’s much too prolific for me to gauge his entire oeuvre, especially when I’ve only seen what are supposedly his better films). The title is a play on Ernest Hemingway’s “Cat in the Rain”, but because Fulci never met a gore gag he didn’t like, he opens the film with cats eating brains while someone talks in a creepy cat voice, making this at best an extremely loose adaptation. Lucio Fulci plays Lucio Fulci (although it would have been funnier to name him Louis Fuller in the English dub), a horror film director who is going mad because of the horrific violence in his movies. This is an interesting conceit and similar to the question Argento posed in Tenebre, but there’s no time for serious reflection as his therapist hypnotizes Fulci to hallucinate on command and then starts murdering people, hoping to use our hero as an alibi. Why the therapist doesn’t hypnotize him to commit the murders himself is beyond me, but it means we’re treated to numerous instances of Fulci reacting to footage from his other movies as part of his “hallucinations”. This movie is at least 75% recycled footage, and not from his better known work either. Yet the relative lack of style in the films excerpted (which are from the late ‘80s, when by most accounts he had stopped trying) makes the violence a touch more immediate and helps them fit more seamlessly into the film than the eye-catching imagery of his classics would. In all seriousness, the premise is fairly clever and there is enough humour (intentional and otherwise) and hammy acting from Fulci and his co-stars (including Paola Cozzo, the “A horror movie! I knew it!” girl from Demons) to make this fairly enjoyable for the director’s fans.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 am

In space, no one can hear you scream. Thankfully, Luigi Cozzi’s Contamination takes place on Earth where everyone can hear you scream (provided they are within earshot), and there is a good deal of screaming in the film. Churned out quickly to cash in on the success of Alien, the movie follows an army colonel, a cop and a shellshocked astronaut as they get to the bottom of a shipment of deadly alien eggs discovered in an abandoned ship in New York Harbor. Contamination shares with Alien the extraterrestrial element, but the film takes the shape of a globetrotting thriller, as the producer preferred James Bond to science fiction. This places the film somewhere between some of Cozzi’s earlier efforts, mixing science fiction production design a la Star Crash with the confident suspense of The Killer Must Kill Again. (Sadly, Caroline Munro’s vampire bikini is nowhere to be found.) It doesn’t excel in either of those aspects, but Cozzi does move things along at a steady clip, aided by three secret weapons. One: Ian McCulloch’s grit and weariness bringing some welcome nuance to his character. Two: the surprisingly minimalist yet still effective score by Goblin. And three: the outrageous gore effects. Like Alien, this movie has corrosive liquids coming out of its alien lifeforms. Yet the stuff in this movie doesn’t merely burn, it causes whoever it touches to explode, so we’re treated to numerous shots of innards blowing out some poor saps (and a mouse, in a shot I hope was just really good FX work but have my doubts about given Italian horror’s track record on animal cruelty) in loving slow motion. This all gives Contamination a touch of style and help make it much better than the heartless cash-in it could have been.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:04 am

I dug Contamination well enough. It sags in the middle but those aforementioned exploding innards were always entertaining.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:42 am

Have you seen The Killer Must Kill Again?

In case you're wondering, yes, he kills again.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:40 am

Rock wrote:
Have you seen The Killer Must Kill Again?

In case you're wondering, yes, he kills again.

I dug it. I wish the titular Killer did more things but it seems his only notable works were that film and the opening of the Beyond. It's definitely better than Contamination.

I sought the film out because Eli Roth recommended it to me in a reddit AMA. While I liked the film, I now want to catch him at another AMA and ask why that one in particular.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Has anyone watched this yet, about why the narrator considers Day Of The Dead to be the best of the entire series?:

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Rock wrote:
In all seriousness, the premise is fairly clever and there is enough humour (intentional and otherwise) and hammy acting from Fulci and his co-stars (including Paola Cozzo, the “A horror movie! I knew it!” girl from Demons) to make this fairly enjoyable for the director’s fans.

I'm not a Fulci fan (I've seen very little of his work and just don't feel very drawn to what people write about his stuff), but I really enjoyed Cat in the Brain. It was delightfully bonkers and I felt like it's entire tone (which I thought was mostly intentional in its humor) was just right.

Also, I watched Happy Birthday to Me the other night and quite enjoyed it. I was impressed with the impact of the last ten minutes or so. The selling point of the movie was the creative kills, but for me it was the development of the backstory and the "what's real?" element that I enjoyed the most. I was not at all surprised to find out that the ending was a last minute thing.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:41 am

Just curious, have you seen Don't Torture a Duckling? It mostly avoids the extreme violence he's known for (except for one unintentionally hilarious effect) and is narratively sturdier and more complex than anything else I've seen from him. Not sure it'll make you a convert or anything but I think you might dig it.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:53 am

Put me down for a hearty recommendation for It Comes at Night. It combines a horror film from a few years ago with a book from several years before that, puts its own spin on it, and serves as an expert guide on how to create tension.

Unlike certain 2017 films, the scares do happen and you won't have to wait until the last reels for the story to get going. The ending is perfect, if a bit rushed.

Although Takoma, I would wait for you to get better to give this one a shot.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:01 am

Rock wrote:
Just curious, have you seen Don't Torture a Duckling? It mostly avoids the extreme violence he's known for (except for one unintentionally hilarious effect) and is narratively sturdier and more complex than anything else I've seen from him. Not sure it'll make you a convert or anything but I think you might dig it.

I have seen it, and I liked it. It's been many years, but I remember a sequence of a woman being attacked (and killed?) in a cemetery that I found very intense.

I've also seen and enjoyed A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, with bonus points for an awesome title.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:02 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Although Takoma, I would wait for you to get better to give this one a shot.

I have recovered, thanks. (Sidenote: our school is being RAVAGED by both the stomach flu I had and a cold bug, we had over 13% of our students absent today, a number so high that we had to report it to the state. My math class normally has 22 students and today I had 14. Madness!)

I'm excited for It Comes at Night, though I get serious downer-ending vibes from it.

I'm also excited to see that Netflix just added Before I Wake.

I'm too lazy to look back, but have I talked to you all about Dragula, the horror-themed drag competition? If you're not into Drag Race and the like, I recommend just fast forwarding to the floor shows. The first episode of the second season is all about Hellraiser characters and making their own cennobites. There's also an episode where they do an homage to slashers/scream queens.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 am

I also had a chance to watch The Uninvited (the old one with Ray Milland). Generally speaking I liked it and the balance between the comedy and the horror. I thought that the movie went a little heavy with some of the foreshadowing (especially the hilarious line about the daughter
not being as pretty as her mother
).

I was very glad about the way that the movie resolved, because for a while the whole
"scheming gypsy"
thing was starting to feel incredibly cringy.

I really enjoyed the seance scene and the effects.

I also watched Life and I really, really disliked it. The performances and effects were strong, but to me it strongly evoked Alien, Gravity, and Sunshine all of which I love and all of which I think are leagues better than Life. I hated the bad science practices. I hated the plot-convenient abilities of the life-form. Above all I hated the
deceptive editing during the ending sequence and the ultimate downer ending
. I'm rarely mad after watching a movie, but this one really bothered me. Plus, I'm sorry, but you cannot put
Ryan Reynolds on the poster of the movie, give him top billing, have him make a few wisecracks and then off him in the first 15 or so minutes. No. This is not Psycho, he is not Janet Leigh. Just no.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I have seen it, and I liked it. It's been many years, but I remember a sequence of a woman being attacked (and killed?) in a cemetery that I found very intense.

I've also seen and enjoyed A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, with bonus points for an awesome title.

I prefer ALIAWS to DTAD. I think Fulci's most narratively sturdy film is easily Four of the Apocalypse. That's perhaps Fulci's masterpiece and proves he was formally brilliant when he chose to be. It makes his Gates of Hell trilogy more interesting to view from the perspective that he was choosing to make these exactly like that, as some form of catharsis over a marital crisis, rather than them being a mix of imagination and ineptitude.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I'm not a Fulci fan (I've seen very little of his work and just don't feel very drawn to what people write about his stuff), but I really enjoyed Cat in the Brain. It was delightfully bonkers and I felt like it's entire tone (which I thought was mostly intentional in its humor) was just right.

Also, I watched Happy Birthday to Me the other night and quite enjoyed it. I was impressed with the impact of the last ten minutes or so. The selling point of the movie was the creative kills, but for me it was the development of the backstory and the "what's real?" element that I enjoyed the most. I was not at all surprised to find out that the ending was a last minute thing.

I was on RT pushing HBTM last year specifically because of the utterly insane climax. It's about as close to a giallo as I've seen a slasher come.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I was just going to recommend this one, because I feel it's much more psychological than his others.

Takoma1 wrote:
Above all I hated the
deceptive editing during the ending sequence and the ultimate downer ending
. I'm rarely mad after watching a movie, but this one really bothered me.

I agree. I'm not even that mad about the ending itself (although I am very tired of how many recent films are defaulting to these kinds of endings), but I felt it was a very dishonest way of getting there.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:37 pm

It Comes At Night is Godlike in every way possible to mankind.

PS - If anyone doesn't know I really liked It Comes At Night. My favorite film of 2017.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I was on RT pushing HBTM last year specifically because of the utterly insane climax. It's about as close to a giallo as I've seen a slasher come.

I was interested to read (as I'm sure you know) that originally
Virginia WAS the killer. But they changed it at the last minute to be the friend. Which is why there is zeri foreshadowing as to the end. I dug the dreamy quality of the film (like the hard time jumps after the kills) and I also feel like it is a movie that earns its downer ending.

I was also grossed out/fascinated by the brain surgery scenes. Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 also had a graphic brain surgery scene that really grossed me out.

Jinnistan wrote:
[

I agree. I'm not even that mad about the ending itself (although I am very tired of how many recent films are defaulting to these kinds of endings), but I felt it was a very dishonest way of getting there.

Yes--the editing element is part of what frustrated me. And, again, this is one area where the movie felt cheap compared to the other films it evoked.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I was interested to read (as I'm sure you know) that originally
Virginia WAS the killer. But they changed it at the last minute to be the friend. Which is why there is zeri foreshadowing as to the end. I dug the dreamy quality of the film (like the hard time jumps after the kills) and I also feel like it is a movie that earns its downer ending.

If I knew, I'd the forgotten but Im not surprised. The rapidity of twists in that finale is something that would seemingly be more at home in a parody of slashers but I admired the absurdity and fearlessness of it all.

The film takes a special place in my heart because I got it as a second half of a two pack bluray with When A Stranger Calls, which was by far my prime interest. One of the best thing about blind buying are the surprises like that. Great transfer too.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Hm.
I'm really gonna have to revisit It Comes At Night.
The level of praise it's receiving here is so superlative it sounds like I somehow watched the second-coming of Citizen Kane and it went right over my head.
Not sure when, but I'll give it another look and see if it improves much in my mind. I didn't think it was all that good when I saw it and it also doesn't stick out in my memory, I can't even remember what I did and didn't like about it.
Maybe it'll make a better impression on a second viewing.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:54 am

I first watched the ending of Happy Birthday to Me through the back window of my mother's car at a drive in when I got bored of what we had paid to see. No sound, just images, far away. Only saw the ending though and was desperate to one day get the rest of the movie to figure out what it all was. Once I finally got around to it in highschool though, I can't say I was in love with it. It maybe had been built up too much in my mind, but in the ensuing three times I've watched it, I've always found it to be fairly lackluster. Not bad, but not much. And I'm generally a big tubthumper for Canadian low budget horror. I guess the mystery of watching it in my original format just couldn't be topped.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:50 am

Just came across an independent artist who is selling books at my local video hive. Thought they were they kinds of thing some here would be jealous to be able to get their hands on.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:59 am

Wooley wrote:
Hm.
The level of praise it's receiving here is so superlative it sounds like I somehow watched the second-coming of Citizen Kane and it went right over my head.
Not sure when, but I'll give it another look and see if it improves much in my mind. I didn't think it was all that good when I saw it and it also doesn't stick out in my memory, I can't even remember what I did and didn't like about it.

I don't know if it's that popular around here. I liked it quite a bit though. Something I like to see in horror films is when they establish horror more through the actions of the characters rather than the events which happen around them. My interpretation of It Comes at Night is that it's a twist on this concept. While other horror films which utilize this technique still have the other forces present, this film reveals no info on what virus/infection it was which caused the apocalypse. This action makes it all the more clear that this is what the director was going for. I also liked the dream sequences, because I feel like their purpose was to foreshadow
Travis's death
, but in a non-obvious way that you don't pick up on until after you watch the film. Anyways, this isn't my favorite horror film of 2017 (A Ghost Story is), but I still liked this one quite a lot. I haven't seen anyone say "This is one of the best horror films made in years" yet, but it certainly qualifies for this bestowal in my opinion.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:39 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I don't know if it's that popular around here. I liked it quite a bit though. Something I like to see in horror films is when they establish horror more through the actions of the characters rather than the events which happen around them. My interpretation of It Comes at Night is that it's a twist on this concept. While other horror films which utilize this technique still have the other forces present, this film reveals no info on what virus/infection it was which caused the apocalypse. This action makes it all the more clear that this is what the director was going for. I also liked the dream sequences, because I feel like their purpose was to foreshadow
Travis's death
, but in a non-obvious way that you don't pick up on until after you watch the film. Anyways, this isn't my favorite horror film of 2017 (A Ghost Story is), but I still liked this one quite a lot. I haven't seen anyone say "This is one of the best horror films made in years" yet, but it certainly qualifies for this bestowal in my opinion.

People here have said it was their best film of the year and such. It wasn't the best film I watched that week. But I'll try again.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:06 am

Wooley wrote:
People here have said it was their best film of the year and such. It wasn't the best film I watched that week. But I'll try again.

It's my 4th favorite film of 2017. I could see it improving with a 2nd viewing once you're made aware of its unconventional appearance.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I first watched the ending of Happy Birthday to Me through the back window of my mother's car at a drive in when I got bored of what we had paid to see. No sound, just images, far away. Only saw the ending though and was desperate to one day get the rest of the movie to figure out what it all was. Once I finally got around to it in highschool though, I can't say I was in love with it. It maybe had been built up too much in my mind, but in the ensuing three times I've watched it, I've always found it to be fairly lackluster. Not bad, but not much. And I'm generally a big tubthumper for Canadian low budget horror. I guess the mystery of watching it in my original format just couldn't be topped.

I think that the ending adds a retroactive jolt to what is, as you say, a fairly lackluster slasher. I wasn't in to the film until about halfway through when I started to pick up on the odd editing.

From there, there is the transition from the classic "Oh, it's YOU", anonymous killer scenes to the scenes where we actually see
Virginia killing
. But then THAT'S confusing because it happens while there are still like 25 or 30 minutes left in the movie. And because the ending was
changed after filming everything else, there isn't any foreshadowing for you to guess who else might be the killer.

I appreciated seeing a movie with such a bonkers conclusion and where the usual, easy-to-predict ending just doesn't exist because the film hasn't structured any clues for you.

At one point I genuinely thought that the whole movie was leading up to it
all being in her head somehow. There's a line where she tells a doctor "You're killing me" or "You're killing a part of me"
or something. I thought there might be some Identityish elements at play. In the end where she confronts herself (or what she thinks of as herself) I was like "This has to be a dream, right?""

It's rare for me that a movie can transition from "What on earth is going on here?!" to a satisfying conclusion. Usually when things get so crazy it all turns into a muddled mess with a cop-out ending. Not here, though.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 am

I haven't seen it for probably about five or six years. My views on films, in particular low budget films, have changed considerably over that time. I'll give it another rewatch at some point to see what you and MKS appreciate. It's good to hear that it also seemed to you a fairly lacklustre slacker in opening stretch, because that is what I remember being numbed by most. Maybe I zoned out by the time the last half hour came along. I do that a lot.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:49 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I haven't seen it for probably about five or six years. My views on films, in particular low budget films, have changed considerably over that time. I'll give it another rewatch at some point to see what you and MKS appreciate. It's good to hear that it also seemed to you a fairly lacklustre slacker in opening stretch, because that is what I remember being numbed by most. Maybe I zoned out by the time the last half hour came along. I do that a lot.

Disclosure: I was grading and/or reading for the first 40 minutes of the movie, looking up for kills and then going back to my work. Around the time Virginia goes up to the bell tower with the guy, that was when I actually started paying attention the narrative.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:13 am

Yeah, the ending of Life is awfully cheap and also sorta proves the movie has nothing on its mind, because there's nothing in the film that
either justifies that level of nihilism or makes the subversion truly offensive.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:15 am

Wooley wrote:
Hm.

I'd give it time to wash through.

I think I'm getting some solid either "It's Great" (Ski Patrol, myself, and Popcorn) or "It's alright" (Stu, Janson) vibes from the film so far. While I've tried to avoid major spoilers so far, I think it embraces to an extent the more interesting side of Maggie (the aftermath of "something") and the tenser moments of 10 Cloverfield Lane while staying true to itself. I'd argue that it's more thriller than pure horror, but I won't quibble with those who stick it in the latter category.

For what it's worth, I know that myself and Takoma aren't quite as keen on The Blackcoat's Daughter as others. Although there's some room for comparison there, I'd argue that the plotting and story makes more sense in It Comes At Night.

Also for what it's worth, I thought Citizen Kane was overrated.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 am

DaMU wrote:
Yeah, the ending of Life is awfully cheap and also sorta proves the movie has nothing on its mind, because there's nothing in the film that
either justifies that level of nihilism or makes the subversion truly offensive.

I didn't even find it particularly subversive. I think that there's a habit of some writers to create what I think of as
just-because downer endings. They don't mean anything. The sadness and frustration at those endings just gives a false emotional jolt and it's no replacement for the kind of emotion you get when you are genuinely connected to characters or events. Also: here's something I don't understand: the planet is so freaked out by the experiment gone wrong that the final firewall is pushing the whole space station and crew into deep space. Okay, cool. So if they were about to do that, then why is there zero indication that they do anything to prevent the escape pod from safely reentering the atmosphere? It makes no sense to me.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:41 am

I liked It Comes at Night when I watched it but I keep forgetting I saw it until you guys bring it up.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 2492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 50  Next