It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 33  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

crumbsroom wrote:

When I read this, it's almost like the memory of this scene came back to me after years of being repressed.

It's a traumatically awful scene that I'd totally forgotten about.

In the highlight reel of the film that I have in my mind, it's all the really cool scenes + the cringe feeling I had when I first saw that part.

Friends, I'm watching the anime series Black Butler on Hulu. The plot centers on a boy whose family is killed and he is kidnapped by the killers and taken away and tortured. Eventually he accidentally summons a demon and makes a bargain to trade his soul for help getting revenge on the killers. The demon becomes his butler, Sebastian, and the two investigate paranormal events around the country. It's incredibly pervy (and I realize that for most of you that's an endorsement and not a warning) and kind of goofy at times, and about 5% of the jokes cross into offensive territory for me. However, it is set in Victorian England and it has some really stellar creepy imagery, like girls who have been turned into living dolls, or townspeople chanting about an evil dog who punishes sinners. Tentatively recommended, though I suggest watching at least two or three episodes to get a sense of the series.

I also watched the first episode of Outcast, and made the mistake of eating while watching it. Have any of you watched the series? I'm not usually into demonic possession type plotlines, but I'm liking the acting and the characters.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Apex Predator wrote:

Is the Nun a remake of the direct to DVD film that came out a few years ago? (EDIT: Nope, it's basically Conjuring 5)

No, it's a horror movie based on that creepy, evil nun-character from The Conjuring 2. I thought it was a pretty good movie and strong for a sequel, plus a genuinely scary character (although my favorite was The Crooked Man and I might have rather seen a movie about him), so I'm in unless wom is just terrible.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I spent my 3-day Easter weekend watching all 5 Phantasm movies. (all first-time watches) Any fans?

Hot takes:
Phantasm (Pretty great)
Phantasm II (Unnecessary, but not terrible)
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (A kid sidekick: always a great idea!)
Phantasm: OblIVion (my resolve starts to waver)
Phantasm: RaVager (more like Phan-Service-Tasm. The Force Awakens of Phantasm movies)

Liked the first one a lot. It's got that disregard for logic/plausibility that one finds in Italian movies of the period. An example of an
"it was all a dream"
ending that actually improves the movie, imo. It's a testament to Angus Scrimm that The Tall Man is such a memorable "monster" when he's literally nothing but an old guy in a suit. Also like the sort of sweet brotherly thing that runs throughout the movie. Not flawless by any means, but I can see why it gained a following. Having said that, I wish that this was the only Phantasm movie.

The sequels, in attempting to expand the mythos or fill in backstory, rob the original of its WTF-ness in some ways. The Tall Man is much more interesting to me when I don't know what he's up to or why he's got Jawas in his employ. The more I learned the less interesting it became. Honestly I stopped caring midway through PII. As the sequels dragged on, it became clear that the Reggie character was meant to be some sort of Ash-esque ass-kicker, which again got us further from the original. The only reason I watched IV & V is because my OCD wouldn't allow me to quit midway. I definitely intend to revisit the original someday, after I've had time to let the stink of the sequels fade from my memory. Don't see myself revisiting those ever.

I'm sorry to hear this.
Well, first of all, I can't fucking believe you've never seen any of these before. I mean, I'm not bustin' yer balls, I just feel like, how did the group not know this and correct it sooner?
But secondly, I had like a decade or something, at least 5 years between my most recent viewing of Phantasm and my first viewing of its successor, and I gotta say, I ended up really liking Phantasm II (although I wouldn't have bet on that after the first 20-30 minutes. I thought it actually cleaned up one or two things from the first film too. And for what it is, I actually liked III ok as well, diminishing returns for sure, but I was still able to enjoy it. Haven't watched IV, though, cause I kinda do feel like I spent the last of my goodwill toward the series on the third one to keep it afloat. But who knows?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:35 pm

Anybody else here seen a suspense, with suggestions of sci-fi-fi, flick from 1982 called Endangered Species? Robert Urich and JoBeth Williams?
Dug it when I was in the 11-13 range, looks like I'm gonna have to revisit it on YouTube, wondered if I was the only one who'd seen it.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pm

I’ve seen Phantasm 1, 2 and 5 per recommendation from the crammers back in the day. The first one is easily the best. Don’t remember much about 2 except the chainsaw scene, and 5 started out real solid but dragged too long. Tall Man and his spheres are the most memorable parts of the franchise for me. They’re a good example of what you can achieve on a low budget.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Literally the only thing that I don't like is that shot where Jody has the girl's underwear in his mouth. Like, why? It's a stupid joke that makes no sense and on two different occasions people I've watched it with have given me a look at that part.

Oh, this element gets SO much worse in the sequels. The character of Reggie repeatedly acts like a horny 12-year-old whenever confronted with a female character. This post has the potential to be really long, so I'll just offer this example: In part IV he attempts to undress a sleeping woman, a woman who's already spurned his advances and made her non-interest clear. There's a similar example in every sequel, and the tone is always the same: that Reggie is some lovable scamp or something. He's thwarted in every case, never "seals the deal", so the women are allowed to emerge somewhat unscathed, but it's just a weird choice to have the hero of the series be such a perverted skeez. And this is a series that spans 1979-2016 so by part V he's perving on granddaughter-aged women.
And as for the women, with one exception (Rocky in part III) none of them have any discernible personality traits beyond "attractive". Rocky is an ex-military who's good with nun-chucks and so on, so she's at least got some substance to her. He attempts to bang her also.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Wooley wrote:
Well, first of all, I can't fucking believe you've never seen any of these before. I mean, I'm not bustin' yer balls, I just feel like, how did the group not know this and correct it sooner?

The 80s are my #1 blind spot, not just with horror. I think I'd erroneously filed Phantasm in my "Slashers I Don't Need to Watch" file, just because of the era it belongs to. Eventually I caught on that it's not a slasher, which is when I decided to give it a go. But yeah, the list of 80s movies I haven't seen would curl your hair. Breakfast Club, just for starters.
Wooley wrote:
But secondly, I had like a decade or something, at least 5 years between my most recent viewing of Phantasm and my first viewing of its successor, and I gotta say, I ended up really liking Phantasm II (although I wouldn't have bet on that after the first 20-30 minutes. I thought it actually cleaned up one or two things from the first film too. And for what it is, I actually liked III ok as well, diminishing returns for sure, but I was still able to enjoy it. Haven't watched IV, though, cause I kinda do feel like I spent the last of my goodwill toward the series on the third one to keep it afloat. But who knows?

I'll concede part II. Like Takoma, I felt like the first film was self-contained and ended perfectly so I was skeptical about continuing the story at all. And the surrealism was such a major part of what I liked that I was resistant to any attempts to explain anything. So I guess I approached II with a fingers-in-my-ears, "la la I can't hear you" attitude. It wasn't that II was doing anything wrong, just that it was doing things I didn't want it to do at all. If that makes sense. Parts III-V on the other hand, I'm not ready to defend. As I said earlier, it eventually morphs into The Badass Reggie Show, as he delivers one-liners before disposing of the bad guys. And then you've got people swinging nun-chucks and so on...Just has very little resemblance to what I liked about the first film. Granted, watching all 5 in 3 days may not be the ideal way to experience it.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Also, this was immediately inducted into my Favorite Images Hall of Fame (first ballot inductee!)

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
The 80s are my #1 blind spot, not just with horror. I think I'd erroneously filed Phantasm in my "Slashers I Don't Need to Watch" file, just because of the era it belongs to. Eventually I caught on that it's not a slasher, which is when I decided to give it a go. But yeah, the list of 80s movies I haven't seen would curl your hair. Breakfast Club, just for starters.

Dude, what the FUUUCKKK?!!!

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I'll concede part II. Like Takoma, I felt like the first film was self-contained and ended perfectly so I was skeptical about continuing the story at all. And the surrealism was such a major part of what I liked that I was resistant to any attempts to explain anything. So I guess I approached II with a fingers-in-my-ears, "la la I can't hear you" attitude. It wasn't that II was doing anything wrong, just that it was doing things I didn't want it to do at all. If that makes sense. Parts III-V on the other hand, I'm not ready to defend. As I said earlier, it eventually morphs into The Badass Reggie Show, as he delivers one-liners before disposing of the bad guys. And then you've got people swinging nun-chucks and so on...Just has very little resemblance to what I liked about the first film. Granted, watching all 5 in 3 days may not be the ideal way to experience it.

Oh, and what I think I was trying to say here but lost my way was that maybe watching them back-to-back-to-back-etc. diminished the sequels significantly.
I always thought the first one was pretty awesome despite all the things that aren't great about it. And I think if I had seen the second one like the next day I wouldn't have liked it, but seeing it years later without the first one right there on my mind, I was able to get some distance between the tone of the sequel and the tone of the original.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Also, this was immediately inducted into my Favorite Images Hall of Fame (first ballot inductee!)

Absolutely one of my favorite moments in all of horror.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Oh, this element gets SO much worse in the sequels. The character of Reggie repeatedly acts like a horny 12-year-old whenever confronted with a female character.

Oh, boo.

See this is the tone I'd detected in previews and reviews of the sequels and it's why I've not been interested in them. That cozy, melancholy, slightly-surreal conversation between Reggie and Mike by the fireplace is one of my favorite parts of the original, and it felt like the sequels were aiming for a more manic, outlandish vibe.

I think I'll just stick with the first film, thank you.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

Oh, boo.

See this is the tone I'd detected in previews and reviews of the sequels and it's why I've not been interested in them. That cozy, melancholy, slightly-surreal conversation between Reggie and Mike by the fireplace is one of my favorite parts of the original, and it felt like the sequels were aiming for a more manic, outlandish vibe.

Yeah, honestly the TONE of the sequels, even though directed by the same guy, is quite different and that's the part about them, other than their jumbled nature and somewhat cheap feel, that I don't like nearly as much.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Wooley wrote:
Dude, what the FUUUCKKK?!!!

OH believe me, it's a long embarrassing list my friend! I should actually publish the list just so I can enjoy the widespread outrage hurled in my direction. Should be entertaining. I watched the hell out of some Megaforce, though.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:09 am

Wooley wrote:
Oh, and what I think I was trying to say here but lost my way was that maybe watching them back-to-back-to-back-etc. diminished the sequels significantly.
I always thought the first one was pretty awesome despite all the things that aren't great about it. And I think if I had seen the second one like the next day I wouldn't have liked it, but seeing it years later without the first one right there on my mind, I was able to get some distance between the tone of the sequel and the tone of the original.

OK, yeah that makes sense. One thing I tried to keep in mind as I watched was the years that these things were made. There was about 10 years between I and II. Almost 20 years between IV and V. So a fan that's had to wait that long for a sequel is going to have a different experience from the guy binge-watching them consecutively.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:12 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Oh, boo.

Right, if the first one was Fulci-esque the sequels were more Raimi. Both are fine, just kind of jarring to go from one to the next.
Another thing I forgot to say is that the sense of humor was actually welcome for me, because if I was asked to take any of this seriously it would probably be insufferable. So apart from the pervy bits I was glad the humor was there.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:18 am

I think some people have this weird aversion to the era from whence they sprung, like a variation of 'golden age thinking' where someone becomes convinced in their dissatisfaction for the culture that's most directly in front of them, believing the nostalgia that things "today" are far less special, or at least easier to take for granted.

I've sometimes found this to be an attractive idea. I like old shit, sometimes ungenerously compared with the new. Listening to Revolver in 1989 definitely made me wonder what went so wrong to popular guitar sounds on the radio since then, but on the other hand it also affirmed the promise that The Pixies, Stone Roses, Spacemen 3, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr. were trying to right the world in this way.

Anyway, I watched tons of films in the 80s.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 am

Captain Terror wrote:

I have a confession to make. I hadn't seen it either.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:41 am

Rock wrote:
I liked Stagefright the first time I saw it, but it definitely grew on me with a second viewing. The third act is great, but I think Soavi handles the earlier sections pretty well. I like the nuance he brings to some of the characters (particularly the coked out director) and how he makes the extreme violence more effective by not lingering on it. Cemetery Man is definitely more ambitious (and probably a bit more enjoyable for most), but I think Stagefright is quite well done considering its more modest aims.

As far as Soavi's other work goes, I haven't seen any of his other horror movies (unless we're counting stuff he was AD on), but his documentary Dario Argento's World of Horror is definitely worth a watch for Italian horror fans. The interviews are insightful and there's some pretty good behind the scenes footage (it was made around the same time as Phenomena so you get more from around that period, but there are still good anecdotes about the earlier films).

I think Stage Fright was pretty good myself.

I dug the fact that they broke some major laws in horror by teaming up together and having a plan. It didn't work, but kudos for trying.

Also, that one scene on stage...

One thing I didn't care for was the scene where

They fixed that one character's ankle at the asylum. Seriously, how did they know how to do that?

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 am

Captain Terror wrote:
OH believe me, it's a long embarrassing list my friend! I should actually publish the list just so I can enjoy the widespread outrage hurled in my direction. Should be entertaining. I watched the hell out of some Megaforce, though.

Dude, I must see the list!
I know that this is a false-construct here, none of us really know each other, but if there has ever been that flash, and I will say that from my end there has been many a time, that flash that we might be friends, then you must show me the list, all the list, in all its glory.
Especially since you watched the hell outta Megaforce, which means, to our bones, we cool.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Right, if the first one was Fulci-esque the sequels were more Raimi. Both are fine, just kind of jarring to go from one to the next.

Yes! Well-put.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I think some people have this weird aversion to the era from whence they sprung, like a variation of 'golden age thinking' where someone becomes convinced in their dissatisfaction for the culture that's most directly in front of them, believing the nostalgia that things "today" are far less special, or at least easier to take for granted.

I've sometimes found this to be an attractive idea. I like old shit, sometimes ungenerously compared with the new. Listening to Revolver in 1989 definitely made me wonder what went so wrong to popular guitar sounds on the radio since then, but on the other hand it also affirmed the promise that The Pixies, Stone Roses, Spacemen 3, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr. were trying to right the world in this way.

Can we bookmark this?
I'd like to have more discussion with you about this, but right now I'm kinda shit-faced on tequila and valium so I'm having a little trouble even typing.
But I think there's meat on that bone.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

I'm probably pretty guilty of this (the 2000s are probably my least favourite decade in cinema that I'm halfway well versed in, and I watch substantially more older films than recent ones), but in my defense, everybody was into Nelly or some shit when I was going to school, which understandably put me off the pop culture of my youth. I don't care how it is ("in herre"), I'm keeping my clothes on.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:02 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

In my case, there's a definite "snap" when I got to high school. Up until 1983 or so (age 12), I was fine. Heavy metal was on the radio and MTV, everything was cool. Age 13 I discovered Zeppelin, and then spent HS years (1986-89) listening to 70s rock. My best friend painted a large portrait of Zappa on his backpack. Sounds cool in hindsight but the flip side is that I didn't see the big Metallica show (or U2 or name any giant arena tour). So there was a definite contrarian element to our personality in HS.

In terms of movies, I've now given this some thought and there is some reasonable explanation for my pathetic state. First of all, my mom was a firm believer in the MPAA ratings. So if it was rated R I didn't see it. I was the oldest sibling so I didn't have an older brother that let me watch cool stuff. I had friends with access to such things but we were obsessed with music and renting movies was not something we did. So as an example-- I can remember schoolmates talking about Porky's and how excited they were to have seen a boob. Well, by the time I'm old enough to rent movies on my own, it's now the 90s, I'm in college, and catching up on that boob I missed in Porky's is not exactly high on the priority list.

This also means I have no access to slasher movies until 1988 or so, and honestly why bother at that point, am I right? So again, fast forward to the 90s and I'm at the video store and I come across the Elm Street section. By that point Freddie had become a ridiculous cartoon so it never occurs to me that there's a good movie or two hiding among the stinkers so I just move on. The slasher genre in general is something I completely missed when it was relevant so as a result there's no nostalgia involved and the only reason I've seen any of them is curiosity. I think even genre fans would admit that there's precious little wheat among the chaff, so I've come to terms with the fact that I just missed out on that one. I have more to say but it's time to go to work.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Wooley wrote:
Dude, I must see the list!
I know that this is a false-construct here, none of us really know each other, but if there has ever been that flash, and I will say that from my end there has been many a time, that flash that we might be friends, then you must show me the list, all the list, in all its glory.
Especially since you watched the hell outta Megaforce, which means, to our bones, we cool.

Back at 'cha, brother! Wait, is that just the tequila talking? :P
I'm mentally compiling the list now. Just when I think I've covered everything I remember something else. "Oh yeah, Swayze was a thing..."

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:11 am

It might be easier to just list the 80s movies I HAVE seen:

Megaforce
Xanadu
Deathstalker 2
Megaforce

So...4

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:17 am

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 am

Regarding the Phantasm films, I've never seen any of them, but I'm still grateful to the series regardless for making this possible:

:D

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:45 am

13 Frightened Girls was improperly named and packaged with the other horror oriented William Castle films in my collection. I'm putting it in here because it's sold as horror/thriller but is more of a Nancy Drew/James Bond mishmash that tries to be cute and often comes off as creepy and cloying. I wasn't terribly bored though. I guess.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:54 am

OK Wooley, here we go. For some perspective I'll point out that I was 8 years old when the 80s began, and 18 when they ended. Also, I worked at a movie theater as a teenager. Despite this, here is a list of movies I have not seen as of April 2018:

The Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Home Alone
and all sequels
Die Hard and all sequels (come at me, bro!)
Karate Kid and all sequels
First Blood and all sequels
Predator and all sequels (Hi, Takoma!)
any film starring Chevy Chase
any film starring Eddie Murphy (not counting standup)
Princess Bride
Lost Boys
Dirty Dancing
Footloose
Flashdance
Purple Rain
Top Gun
Risky Business
Total Recall
Robocop
(god I hate myself)
Road House
Outsiders/Rumble Fish
Weird Science
Big Trouble in Little China
Pet Semetary

Child's Play and all sequels
Halloweens 4 and up
Friday the 13th 3 and up
any Elm Street film not directed by Craven
(any other slasher that does not belong to those franchises, just assume I haven't seen it)

And I'm leaving out so many. Those are just the ones that always seem to tick people off when I tell them I haven't seen them. Honestly, looking at the list there's only 6-7 that I feel like I need to check off the list. I mean what interest could Karate-freakin-Kid possibly hold for me if there's no nostalgia involved?
Oh, one more thing---Rain Man is the only 80s Best Picture winner I've seen. (Sorry, Platoon!)

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:57 am

Stu wrote:
Regarding the Phantasm films, I've never seen any of them, but I'm still grateful to the series regardless for making this possible:

:D

Ah, knew that part sounded familiar! Anyway, good album.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:13 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Princess Bride

GASP!

I mean, I haven't seen Predator 2, but the first is really good and my love for Predators is well-documented.

You should also check out The Princess Bride and the first Die Hard. They are timeless.

Where are you, again? Philly? New Orleans? I feel like we need to stage an intervention.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:36 am

Takoma1 wrote:

GASP!

I mean, I haven't seen Predator 2, but the first is really good and my love for Predators is well-documented.

You should also check out The Princess Bride and the first Die Hard. They are timeless.

Where are you, again? Philly? New Orleans? I feel like we need to stage an intervention.

I love Predator 2 and think it understands the first film better than Predators, though I quite enjoyed that too.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:00 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I love Predator 2 and think it understands the first film better than Predators, though I quite enjoyed that too.

I'm a fan of Predator 2, too, and also just enjoyed Predators, far as I recall it. Not sure if they really rate all that far apart, but I'm interested in why you think 2 understands the premise better than 's.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:13 pm

OK, maybe I can see how that whole 'R' thing kept you from many of these films at the time, but I think what's more strange to me is that with films like Die Hard, Big Trouble, Robocop, Predator, etc, these are not films that have ever been particularly hard to find since then, in fact these films seem to be especially popular with millennials who clearly were born after their theatrical run. Is the sense of shame so strong that you cannot even bear to try anymore?

I'm a little younger. I experienced the 80s from about 5 to 15. I saw most of these films in the theater. Now, about that 'R'. It may surprise some of you to learn that I can be a bit of a bullshit artist, but I proved pretty deft at lauding my "maturity" when campaigning to see certain films. "Oh, I know it's fake." "Oh, I've heard worse at schools." "It's just biology!" Etc, etc. My first theatrical 'R' was Conan the Barbarian, age 7, and I never looked back. For horror, it helped to have an issue of Fangoria around, in order to prove that, in fact, I was really only interested in the FX work. My parents tended to be far more confused when I'd want to watch something like Color Purple or Children of a Lesser God or something. I saw Broadcast News by myself when I was 12, and no one at the box office bothered to ask my age. Just rolling.

But I'm not here to brag, I'm here to help.

Cap wrote:
The Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink

Fast Times is the best film here, which seems odd given Hughes', at the time, more wholesome image. That's been pretty much flipped in recent years.

Cap wrote:
Die Hard
Predator
Total Recall
Robocop

These are just high-quality action/sci-fi entertainment, each one much more the sum of its parts. I believe most of them can be purchased for about 5 bucks at Wal-Mart.

Cap wrote:
First Blood
Risky Business

These are surprisingly not terrible. Both carry unearned baggage. First Blood is more of a tight thriller than the other Rambo films, and only really dips into petro-porn in the last ten minutes or so. Business looks indistinguishable from the other rich horny guy comedies of the 80s so it's also a nice surprise that it's actually competent and stylish. Also, Sure Thing falls into this category.

Quote:

I probably can't sway you if Chevy Chase isn't to your taste. He is what he is. Still, Caddyshack has less of him, if that helps.

Eddie, though, had a great start with 48 Hours and Trading Places, both are still very entertaining.

Quote:
Princess Bride

You could have used a little Peter Falk in your life.

Quote:
Outsiders/Rumble Fish

Both are very different takes on Hinton's books, Outsiders being more warm and sentimental and Fish being more chic and disaffected. They are probably Coppola's strongest films of the decade.

Quote:
Footloose
Flashdance
Purple Rain

I get it. Who wants to see a bunch of MTV dance-musicals? And these films are about the epitome of the MTV crossover. I won't lie, they aren't that great. Buy the Prince album though.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Ergill wrote:
I'm a fan of Predator 2, too, and also just enjoyed Predators, far as I recall it. Not sure if they really rate all that far apart, but I'm interested in why you think 2 understands the premise better than 's.

I think the beauty of Predator is that it upends the hard body action flick by staging the first act of the film, drenched in highly American machismo, then undercuts it, first by revealing the motivation to not be entirely honorable, then further reducing them to big game for a bigger, more technologically advanced alpha male. Every actor and the setting so clearly riff on the tropes the likes of Schwarzenegger and Stallone crafted that the film almost works as a critique of the genre itself (though it doesn't ENTIRELY dedicate to the criticism because it is a hard body action film itself).

Then comes Predator 2 and it could have easily done a retread of the first and brought back Arnold (or gone to Stallone maybe) but the action genre had changed and gone the way of the "Everyman cop." So like the first film, it took icons from the new action, with Glover and Busey ripped straight from Lethal Weapon and sets up another first act filled with tropes and actors of this sub genre then allows the Predator to hunt it down and tear it apart. It's not as disciplined or as clear as vision as the original but it understood what was being done and tried its own riff.

Predators, on the other hand, was in love with the lore and tried to make a movie centered around the creature and more or less retread the original. It almost has something to say about modern action, with the tough woman sniper and MMA casting (plus Fishburne turning his mentor role on its head) but it doesn't particularly touch on modern action expectations and tear them apart. It's pure genre and franchise filmmaking. Brody was a bold choice and I've flirted with the argument that non-action stars are the new action stars, so it sort of works ala Matt Damon but then it makes me think about Matt Damon in the role, with Predator hunting a Bourne surrogate and that scratches the itch in a manner far more befitting the first two films.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Are we just rattling off ‘80s movies for Wooley?

Back to the Future
Ghostbusters
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Thing
Aliens

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
OK Wooley, here we go. For some perspective I'll point out that I was 8 years old when the 80s began, and 18 when they ended. Also, I worked at a movie theater as a teenager. Despite this, here is a list of movies I have not seen as of April 2018:

The Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink
Home Alone
and all sequels
Princess Bride
Lost Boys
Dirty Dancing
Footloose
Flashdance
Purple Rain
Top Gun
Risky Business
Total Recall
Robocop
(god I hate myself)
Road House
Outsiders/Rumble Fish
Weird Science
Pet Semetary

Halloweens 4 and up
Friday the 13th 3 and up
(any other slasher that does not belong to those franchises, just assume I haven't seen it)

And I'm leaving out so many. Those are just the ones that always seem to tick people off when I tell them I haven't seen them. Honestly, looking at the list there's only 6-7 that I feel like I need to check off the list. I mean what interest could Karate-freakin-Kid possibly hold for me if there's no nostalgia involved?
Oh, one more thing---Rain Man is the only 80s Best Picture winner I've seen. (Sorry, Platoon!)

Out of all of those, the ones that actually hurt me the most are Fast Times At Ridgemont High, The Princess Bride, and Weird Science.
I mean, there's a lot of movies on there that are kinda stunners, but, honestly, The Lost Boys, without the nostalgia, is almost painfully bad, just to give an example of what you're talking about. Yeah you should see Die Hard and The Breakfast Club (and maybe Platoon too) but the rest are either not actually that good (all those Halloween and Elm St. sequels, Flashdance, Pet Sematary) or are so of-the-time (Risky Business, Footloose, Road House, Top Gun, maybe even The Outsiders) that, while they may be fun, they're not really great movies you need to see.
On the other hand, as I've said somewhere around this forum, Rumble Fishis one of Coppola's best films and is something I'd recommend to anyone who wants to see a really good film.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:06 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I think the beauty of Predator is that it upends the hard body action flick by staging the first act of the film, drenched in highly American machismo, then undercuts it, first by revealing the motivation to not be entirely honorable, then further reducing them to big game for a bigger, more technologically advanced alpha male. Every actor and the setting so clearly riff on the tropes the likes of Schwarzenegger and Stallone crafted that the film almost works as a critique of the genre itself (though it doesn't ENTIRELY dedicate to the criticism because it is a hard body action film itself).

Then comes Predator 2 and it could have easily done a retread of the first and brought back Arnold (or gone to Stallone maybe) but the action genre had changed and gone the way of the "Everyman cop." So like the first film, it took icons from the new action, with Glover and Busey ripped straight from Lethal Weapon and sets up another first act filled with tropes and actors of this sub genre then allows the Predator to hunt it down and tear it apart. It's not as disciplined or as clear as vision as the original but it understood what was being done and tried its own riff.

Predators, on the other hand, was in love with the lore and tried to make a movie centered around the creature and more or less retread the original. It almost has something to say about modern action, with the tough woman sniper and MMA casting (plus Fishburne turning his mentor role on its head) but it doesn't particularly touch on modern action expectations and tear them apart. It's pure genre and franchise filmmaking. Brody was a bold choice and I've flirted with the argument that non-action stars are the new action stars, so it sort of works ala Matt Damon but then it makes me think about Matt Damon in the role, with Predator hunting a Bourne surrogate and that scratches the itch in a manner far more befitting the first two films.

I getcha. Thanks.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
OK, maybe I can see how that whole 'R' thing kept you from many of these films at the time, but I think what's more strange to me is that with films like Die Hard, Big Trouble, Robocop, Predator, etc, these are not films that have ever been particularly hard to find since then, in fact these films seem to be especially popular with millennials who clearly were born after their theatrical run. Is the sense of shame so strong that you cannot even bear to try anymore?

No, it's just that I've dug this giant hole for myself. It's not an unwillingness to watch them or a lack of effort on my part. I've actually managed to get a few under my belt over the past few years. (Only saw Friday the 13th I & II within the past 5 years.) So yeah, I should definitely watch Die Hard some day but I should also get to Rashomon and Badlands and so on. And every time I choose to watch Tomb of the Werewolf's Mummy instead, that pushes my Die Hard viewing back another day.
And in my defense, I actually sat down to watch Robocop a few years ago. Got interrupted at the 10 minute mark or so and had to turn it off, not knowing that this was the last day Netflix was streaming it. Attempted to watch it the next day and found it had disappeared. Loved what I had seen up to that point and am positive I'll like it, just haven't gotten around to it again.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Wooley wrote:
while they may be fun, they're not really great movies you need to see.

That's the point I was making with my Karate Kid comment. A big chunk of that list is just a matter of friends quoting a line that I don't get, so I have to admit I haven't seen Vacation or whatever, followed by the outrage and chastising from said friends. So in my estimation it's hardly worth sitting through Footloose in 2018 just so I can avoid that situation. I missed it at age 14, so that's that as far as I'm concerned.
Like I said there's 6 or 7 that I really want to see, which is not a bad ratio I'd say. I think if any of us chose any given decade we'd find at least that many glaring omissions. It just so happens that this decade is the one where I came of age so it seems weirder to my peers when I haven't seen something they liked. Glad I didn't offend you too badly. :) (Don't worry, Ridgemont and Princess Bride are on my short list)

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:48 pm

I've gone this long without seeing Footloose, and I feel pretty good about.

Karate Kid is surprisingly good. It is a film with modest reach and intentions, but pulls it off really well.

All the other ones that should be watched from that list have already been covered. Fast Times. Princess. Robocop.

Vacation is one of the very best comedies ever. This is dependent on ones appreciation of Chevy Chase, but that should not be in question.

Don't worry about any of that shit horror at the bottom of the list.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:48 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
This is dependent on ones appreciation of Chevy Chase, but that should not be in question.

::shifty-eyes::

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:18 am

Captain Terror wrote:

The Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink
Home Alone
and all sequels
Princess Bride
Lost Boys
Dirty Dancing
Footloose
Flashdance
Purple Rain
Top Gun
Risky Business
Total Recall
Robocop
(god I hate myself)
Road House
Outsiders/Rumble Fish
Weird Science
Pet Semetary

Halloweens 4 and up
Friday the 13th 3 and up

Let me tackle the ones I've seen first:

Will agree with Janson about Fast Times at Ridgemont High being the best of the first four. Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink are OK, with each having its advantages and problems. But Fast Times is way more a priority.

I think there's only two Home Alones as far as I know/concerned. And much like Sixteen Candles/Pretty in Pink, they're OK. Not good or great, just OK.

Die Hard is just a must see, OK? It's one of the best action films of the 1980s and it also comes in handy in explaining screenwriting/storytelling as well. Die Hard 2 was alright, although I have been careful around icicles ever since. Die Hard 3 has its moments, and despite trying some obvious links to the first one was an improvement. You can safely depart after the Samuel L. entry (part 4 was OK-ish, but weaksauce and Part 5 was just dumb).

Karate Kid is basically a junior high equivalent of Rocky where Asian janitors have the mystical magic of ka-ra-te about them and bullies can be bested in a tournament. Dumb fun. KK2 takes the action to Japan and is a fairly satisfying sequel. Part 3 can be skipped. Hadn't seen the Hilary Swank one.

First Blood isn't a half bad take on the war wounds suffered by a Vietnam War soldier which gets exasperated by a less than understanding sheriff. Still waiting on the kewpie doll that Leonard Maltin offered for understanding more than five words of Stallone's final speech. Part 2 is interesting as it deals with Rambo in a mission of peace (at first) and having to determine whether to get involved or just keep shooting photos. You could probably skip parts 3 and 4 (2008 film) unless you really fall for the character.

Predator is another classic action film as Arnold faces perhaps his biggest challenge to date. It also has Jesse Ventura and Carl Weathers. Part 2 is a fair drop from part 1, but it does make the most of an eclectic cast led by Danny Glover. Was disappointed by the first Aliens vs Predator movie, have no interest in the second one, and I've heard of one with Adrien Brody and Laurence Fishburne but haven't seen it yet.

Chevy Chase films:

See them:
National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (make note, the odd numbered films in the Vacation series are worth viewing)
Caddyshack (One of the best snobs vs. slobs comedies out there)
Fletch (probably best showcase for Chevy's BS brand of comedy)
Seems Like Old Times (Neil Simon comedy is showcase for him, Goldie Hawn, and Charles Grodin)
Three Amigos (possibly the weak link in the trio, but amusing predecessor for Galaxy Quest if nothing else)

Maybe?:
Fletch Lives (things get crazier...maybe too crazy for some)
Spies Like Us (I've heard this compared to a Hope/Crosby road picture, see the trailer to know if that's your thing or not)

No:
National Lampoon's European Vacation (Desperation, flopsweat fill the air; best appreciated for the British actors that show up)
Funny Farm (More like mildly amusing, kinda dull farm)
Modern Problems (Revenge flick is no 9 to 5, let me tell you)
Under the Rainbow (Unless you're intrigued by a Carrie Fisher/Chase pairing or a completest for everything related to Wizard of Oz, please skip)
Caddyshack 2 (One of the worst comedy sequels of all time. OF ALL TIME)

Eddie Murphy:

See:
Beverly Hills Cop (Some cringey stereotypes, but this one illustrated Eddie's wisecracking, smarter than the room persona at its best)
Trading Places (Unless it was this one which shows good chemistry with Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee in a smart role as well)
48 Hours (Not as good as the first two, but still recommendable for its nice combative chemistry with Nick Nolte)
Coming to America (First of what would be multiple films of Eddie playing multiple roles has some good comedy and charm to spare)

Maybe?:
Beverly Hills Cop 2 (Big drop from the first, but still some laughs)
Harlem Nights (Its mix of drama and comedy was an odd fit, but it was an important showcase of its day)

No:
The Golden Child (Maltin was right; it was a big hit, but nobody liked this one. Nobody)

The Princess Bride is mostly magical, fun viewing and is a must see. Make it a top priority.

The Lost Boys is one of its 1980s film at its most 1980ist. Having said that, the good outdoes the bad.

Dirty Dancing is more of a gritty fairy tale of rich girl falls for boy from other side of tracks. Is it great? No, but it's fun with good chemistry and a solid turn from Jerry Orbach.

Footloose was of its era, a film that celebrated the thumbing of outdated bans such as dancing in a small town. Hardly essential, but it does have a few iconic moments (most of which involve Kevin Bacon dancing).

Top Gun is perhaps the most 1980s film of the 1980s. It had it all (soundtrack, visual flash, a celebration of America, cheesy heroes and villains). Film is fairly solid except I think it takes a nosedive with its last 20 minutes when it throws everything aside because reasons.

Risky Business is best known for the underwear dance, but it shows Tom Cruise as the charisma magnet he was and a good turn from Rebecca De Mornay as a prostitute he befriends.

Total Recall is a lovely mindmeld of action and drama as the twists pile up and the visuals prove to be knockout (don't sell the humor short, though). Get yourself to Mars and see this quickly (the confident little woman died recently which makes for a good excuse).

Robocop is another must see, a kinetic ballet of ultraviolence and scathing wit. Make it a prime directive.

Road House isn't a high priority, but it's fairly good as a dumb B-movie with Sam Elliott's philosophy making hay with all the buttkicking action you want.

I thought the Outsiders was better as a showcase for a plethora of young stars than as a film; it was OK, but just so.

Weird Science is one of those films better appreciated back in the day. Now, it just comes across as sleazy (although Kelly Le Brock does get the better of the boys).

None of the Halloweens after 3 are essential (Not a huge fan of 3, but I do see the cult possibilities). I've heard some defend 4 as it steps away from Curtis's character and deals with a little girl, but I couldn't get past the acting of her friend. Curse was kind of bad. I think H20 was worth seeing as it was fairly good. Some would argue that Resurrection was worth seeing as it was bad, but I've had no interest in finding this out again.

Friday the 13ths 4 and up weren't good overall. I thought Jason X was a goofy throwaway that featured Jason. Jason Takes Manhattan was one of the first horrors I've seen and although it's not near as good as I thought once, it does kind of work as a silly comedy. But quality wise, I think you can skip everything past 2.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3 was solid with some solid kills and is probably second best in the franchise. I think 2 is of the love it or loathe it variety, but it DOES have to be seen at least once. After that, I think it's all skippable (as the CGI and the silliness takes over...although Freddy's Dead gave me a line that I use at Rocky Horror screenings...to a big laugh) until New Nightmare which serves as a template for Scream.

1980s Academy Award Best Picture Winners (yeah, I missed a few too. Saw Last Emperor, I think, but I don't remember much about it)

See It:
Amadeus (Although I thought Hulce's take on the composer was a bit childish, I think it holds up well thanks to Abraham's turn as Salieri)
Terms of Endearment (Best as a good female bonding film and good cry)

Maybe:
Rain Man (Although I think Hoffman's performance as Raymond was questionable as to its accuracy with autism, Tom Cruise is pretty effective as the shallow brother who learns to care for others)
Driving Miss Daisy (Although the whole sequence about Hoke not being able to see MLK speak was, well, hokey, the friendship is mostly genuine and the film works well enough painting in both sides of the 1950s South)

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:06 am

Captain Terror wrote:
No, it's just that I've dug this giant hole for myself.

This is another interesting dilemma of the tension between contemporary and "classic" options. Even for a kid in the 80s, there were still a terribly lot of films. The availabilty was much more limited, but even given what it was, and the fact that 'no internet' largely meant that each option was also an investment (and allowance dollars only go so far), it could frequently seem insurmountable to get to a point where you could call yourself any kind of authority on film. You have to balance the deep deep bench of looking backwards while keeping up on what was new. Now consider what someone, say, 15 today would have to consider as they stare into a far deeper abyss, where not only are there 30 years of extra movies piled on, but with a far more vast back catalog available than ever before, and with far easier platforms with which to choose. The temptation to do one of two things - immerse completely in the past or choose to disregard everything not specifically culturally relevant to you - becomes an appealing resignation to the sheer slog of it all.

The best I can say is that I sympathize, and if I wasn't inspired as a kid by an insane and naive ambition to see every film ever made I would be even further behind than I am today. And I still think that anyone who thinks that they've run out of interesting movies to watch is lying to themselves. The frank truth is that there are too many goddamn movies.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 am

Ergill wrote:
I getcha. Thanks.

I was not prepared for such a response. I... What?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:33 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I was not prepared for such a response. I... What?
Meanwhile, he's going around threatening to stab me in the dick.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:55 am

BL wrote:
Meanwhile, he's going around threatening to stab me in the dick.

But in how many words?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:33 am

Good stuff AP, thanks. Lemme digest some of that and I'll post some replies in the 80s thread.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:54 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Good stuff AP, thanks. Lemme digest some of that and I'll post some replies in the 80s thread.

Yeah, sounds fine. I'll have more 80s thoughts in there as well.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 1621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 33  Next