It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 2461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 50  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Today I learned that the people who made Resolution also made Spring.

1) This makes SO MUCH SENSE if you think about those two movies.

2) They have a new movie out! It's called The Endless and it sounds interesting!

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:07 am

Takoma1 wrote:

2) They have a new movie out! It's called The Endless and it sounds interesting!

I thought we specifically talked about them in relation to each other on RT. I think Resolution was better overall due to the affability of the leads, while I think the male lead in Spring was almost entirely without charisma.

I am quite interested in the Endless due to their pedigree though.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I thought we specifically talked about them in relation to each other on RT. I think Resolution was better overall due to the affability of the leads, while I think the male lead in Spring was almost entirely without charisma.

I am quite interested in the Endless due to their pedigree though.

Maybe we did but I just somehow forgot? Or possibly I had't watched Spring yet and skimmed posts about it to avoid spoilers? I watched Spring last year after Captain Terror gave it a strong recommendation.

Anyway--agreed on the strength of Resolution (the leads have better chemistry and the story is delightfully bonkers once you start to understand what's happening). I only read two lines of the review of The Endless for fear of spoilers.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:39 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I was not prepared for such a response. I... What?

Oh, I was generally just curious.

BL wrote:
Meanwhile, he's going around threatening to stab me in the dick.

I was also generally just curious.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:48 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Maybe we did but I just somehow forgot? Or possibly I had't watched Spring yet and skimmed posts about it to avoid spoilers? I watched Spring last year after Captain Terror gave it a strong recommendation.

Anyway--agreed on the strength of Resolution (the leads have better chemistry and the story is delightfully bonkers once you start to understand what's happening). I only read two lines of the review of The Endless for fear of spoilers.

I watched Spring the day Bowie died and had to stop it (far too similar opening and subtext). I finished it a few days later and posted about it quite a bit as I'd watched it largely due to the strength of Resolution. I feel an odd sense of deja Vu in this conversation.

And Ergil, you scamp.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:55 am

Wooley wrote:
Well, Beastmaster has a number of things going for it that elevate it above most of its kin. It obviously never reaches the Conan level, but then it didn't have the budget Conan had, it didn't have John Milius, it didn't have James Earl Jones, and it didn't have one of the great fantasy franchises of the 20th Century to rely on.
But Beastmaster has a good story, it REALLY maximizes its budget, it has Don Coscarelli, it has Rip Torn, and most of all, it has heart.
I used to love it, I thought, mostly for the many great fantasy elements and characters that are actually a little different from most others. I mean, it has a hero who can share thoughts with animals is know slouch with a sword, and has a fucking folding-shuriken. I love the terrifying bat-wing people. I love the mindless leather-slaves that create sparks as they run their spiked fists along the stone walls. And I particularly love that the enemy is the faceless "Jun Horde" to off-set Torn's "another moustache-twirling villain".
And of course, John Amos brings the heart to the whole production.
But, finally, as an older adult, I find that I love the movie for all the things Coscarelli did on the budget he had to make this movie seem so much more real and so much more fantasy than its kin. Yar and Ator and Deathstalker and the like still ultimately feel like they were filmed in a forest in California that might actually be right behind some new subdivision. Beastmaster really feels like another time and another world, much closer to Conan. There's one shot I remember (it's been a long time so I can't tell you when it occurs), when Coscarelli uses forced perspective to make it look like the city and the temple are much bigger than they actually are. You can catch it, but if you let it slide a little or you're a little younger it actually works and to me it just showed such great craft and such dedication to making this film work.
All in all, I think The Beastmaster stands apart from everything else in its genre. To me it is the epitome of what can be accomplished on a small budget if enough care and craft are put into it.

This post from months ago inspired me to rewatch Beastmaster for the first time since childhood, and holy cow what have I been doing with my life? Definitely watched it as a kid but probably only once and no doubt an edited-for-tv version. For some reason I've spent the ensuing decades thinking this was just a family-friendlier Conan (oh cute-he talks to animals!) so I was not prepared for how badass this was. Over the years I'd somehow forgotten the bat people, the guy with bat wings on his helmet, the baby-burnings, the trail of impaled bodies, the skull lady that climbs walls backwards, etc. As someone that grew up loving Tolkien, Frazetta and Krokus videos this was just 2 hours of eye candy.
But even aside from the Molly Hatchet visuals, like Wooley says the story/characters have a bit of depth to them and avoided a lot of the annoying aspects that usually show up in these things. Even the ferrets were done right--in any other movie they would've been an obnoxious comic relief element. I mean, that was pretty much their purpose, but it never achieved cringey eye-roll status.
And good catch on the forced perspective thing, I'm not sure I would've noticed on my own. But there was a similar moment for me: It was a night scene where our heroes are sitting around a fire and the black tiger is sitting on a rock in the background. It was obvious that someone off camera was shining a narrow light into the cat's eyes to make them glow. (When the tiger moved its head, the light also moved in the same direction). Just an example of going that extra, inexpensive step to make a simple shot just a bit cooler.
Don't get me wrong, it's not The Godfather, but just a great example of this particular genre that I'm sorry I wasted so many years not watching. Thank you Mr. Wooley!
(That post was also the reason I watched Phantasm so that's two I owe ya)

PS--And can we talk about Marc Singer's body? Sweet baby jesus that's a hunk o' man! :)

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:31 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Yes, I knew all of those things but I share your enthusiasm for The Endless.:) I know literally nothing about the plot at this point, or even the cast, and intend to keep it that way.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:38 am

Captain Terror wrote:

This post from months ago inspired me to rewatch Beastmaster for the first time since childhood, and holy cow what have I been doing with my life? Definitely watched it as a kid but probably only once and no doubt an edited-for-tv version. For some reason I've spent the ensuing decades thinking this was just a family-friendlier Conan (oh cute-he talks to animals!) so I was not prepared for how badass this was. Over the years I'd somehow forgotten the bat people, the guy with bat wings on his helmet, the baby-burnings, the trail of impaled bodies, the skull lady that climbs walls backwards, etc. As someone that grew up loving Tolkien, Frazetta and Krokus videos this was just 2 hours of eye candy.
But even aside from the Molly Hatchet visuals, like Wooley says the story/characters have a bit of depth to them and avoided a lot of the annoying aspects that usually show up in these things. Even the ferrets were done right--in any other movie they would've been an obnoxious comic relief element. I mean, that was pretty much their purpose, but it never achieved cringey eye-roll status.
And good catch on the forced perspective thing, I'm not sure I would've noticed on my own. But there was a similar moment for me: It was a night scene where our heroes are sitting around a fire and the black tiger is sitting on a rock in the background. It was obvious that someone off camera was shining a narrow light into the cat's eyes to make them glow. (When the tiger moved its head, the light also moved in the same direction). Just an example of going that extra, inexpensive step to make a simple shot just a bit cooler.
Don't get me wrong, it's not The Godfather, but just a great example of this particular genre that I'm sorry I wasted so many years not watching. Thank you Mr. Wooley!
(That post was also the reason I watched Phantasm so that's two I owe ya)

PS--And can we talk about Marc Singer's body? Sweet baby jesus that's a hunk o' man! :)

Oh man, this brings such a smile to my face!
Yes, all those things, I mean, I was NINE years old when my parents took me to see that in the theater way out on Airline Highway, and it had bat-people and a faceless villain with wings on his head and proper witches and the leather-and-spike clad Death Guards and man it was just awesome.
But everything you and I have said about how they made this movie so much more than it had any right to be is what really makes it sing for me as an adult. It really might be Coscarelli's finest moment. It sure as hell wasn't John Dies At The End, to my dismay.
Man, I'm so pleased someone else got it the way I felt about it.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Wooley wrote:
It really might be Coscarelli's finest moment.

Same thing occurred to me midway. "Wait-this is better than Phantasm?"

Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Rock wrote:
Ah, knew that part sounded familiar! Anyway, good album.
Happy to be of help, heh. Anyway, it is a really good record, and that is a great opening track, though I feel that the thing that makes it such a great song, its integration of the Phantasm theme, makes the rest of the songs on LHP run together more than they would've otherwise, since none of them really have that unique, special something setting them apart like the title track does. My real favorite album when it comes to old-school Swedeath (and what was quite possibly the first Swedeath album, period) is Carnage's Dark Recollections; this is the only record the band ever recorded before some of their members went on to reform Dismember, while rhythm guitarist Michael Amott went on to join Carcass/found Arch Enemy, but man, what a record it was, and a real important, underappreciated slab of metal history:

\ m /

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:41 pm

A QUIET PLACE IS A GOOD AND SCARY TIME

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:54 pm

DaMU wrote:

I'm seeing it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Die! Die! My Darling was a wonderful genre flick and a notch above most of non-monster Hammer films I've seen. Bankhead chews all the scenery and Powers plays her role of victim with cunning and vulnerability, that makes her feel dynamic and real. Donald Sutherland has an unfortunate turn as a mentally handicapped handyman but it doesn't detract. One of the best films I've seen about being held captive.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:56 am

Sure, I'll follow up my own post with another post: Maniac Cop 2 is one of the best sequels I've ever seen. It tops the film in virtually every conceivable metric beyond "amount of Tom Atkins in this film" and maybe "amount of Bruce Campbell," though I feel he's put to better use here.

It's one of the sequels that actually pulls off the bigger is better approach. The car chases are creative, the kills are the best I've seen from Lustig since Maniac, but manage to be fun rather than truly shocking or upsetting, and it takes some really fun detours (a serial killer intended for Spinell was given to Leo Rossi after the formers death and Rossi (pun intended (so many parentheses)) kills it).

I have Maniac Cop 3 waiting on me so I hope to complete the franchise. Lustig shows he's far more formidable with a budget than I had suspected so I'll probably dive deeper into his collection sooner rather than later.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I have Maniac Cop 3 waiting on me so I hope to complete the franchise. Lustig shows he's far more formidable with a budget than I had suspected so I'll probably dive deeper into his collection sooner rather than later.

Maniac Cop 3 is the only one of the series I've seen--and I saw it on TV when I was like 13. At the time I just didn't know what I was watching or how to handle it.

Tonight (and probably tomorrow because I should be getting more sleep these days) I'm watching Bride of Re-Animator. I liked, but did not love, the first one. But I think that my camp sensibilities have developed a lot since I saw the first one. Already I'm enjoying it more than I remember enjoying the first film.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:49 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Maniac Cop 3 is the only one of the series I've seen--and I saw it on TV when I was like 13. At the time I just didn't know what I was watching or how to handle it.

Tonight (and probably tomorrow because I should be getting more sleep these days) I'm watching Bride of Re-Animator. I liked, but did not love, the first one. But I think that my camp sensibilities have developed a lot since I saw the first one. Already I'm enjoying it more than I remember enjoying the first film.

Have you seen either of the Maniac films? I think they're better than most of their contemporaries (80s horror and modern remakes respectively) but aren't particularly enjoyable films as they share more with Taxi Driver and Henry than Halloween.

The Maniac Cop films try to strike a balance between Terminator, Friday the 13th and a detective mystery. Lustig called it "Frankenstein meets French Connection." I think the first struggled to find tonal balance and aside from some neat twists and turns that the plot makes, it's low budget hurt it more than the Maniac films. Maniac Cop 2 is far more stylish which sells the ghoulish fun and it has a budget befitting it's scope. I highly recommend this one though it needs the first one to truly work.

I love Bride of Reanimator and it may be my favorite of the franchise. It's considerably more unhinged than the original and I think it's the better for it, though it's considerably messier and more sequel-y, so I think the first is a better film. Beyond Reanimator is also FAR better than a decades later DTV sequel had any right to be.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:01 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Have you seen either of the Maniac films? I think they're better than most of their contemporaries (80s horror and modern remakes respectively) but aren't particularly enjoyable films as they share more with Taxi Driver and Henry than Halloween.

The Maniac Cop films try to strike a balance between Terminator, Friday the 13th and a detective mystery. Lustig called it "Frankenstein meets French Connection." I think the first struggled to find tonal balance and aside from some neat twists and turns that the plot makes, it's low budget hurt it more than the Maniac films. Maniac Cop 2 is far more stylish which sells the ghoulish fun and it has a budget befitting it's scope. I highly recommend this one though it needs the first one to truly work.

I love Bride of Reanimator and it may be my favorite of the franchise. It's considerably more unhinged than the original and I think it's the better for it, though it's considerably messier and more sequel-y, so I think the first is a better film. Beyond Reanimator is also FAR better than a decades later DTV sequel had any right to be.

I've found myself deeply uninterested in either of the Maniac films, going on probably 15 years now (well, 15 years for the original). The plot simply does not appeal to me, and the more I hear about it's status as a classic, the more weirdly oppositional I get about not watching it. There's something about movies that look grimy that is a huge turn-off to me.

I find myself more drawn to the Maniac Cop series, oddly enough.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:06 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I've found myself deeply uninterested in either of the Maniac films, going on probably 15 years now (well, 15 years for the original). The plot simply does not appeal to me, and the more I hear about it's status as a classic, the more weirdly oppositional I get about not watching it. There's something about movies that look grimy that is a huge turn-off to me.

I find myself more drawn to the Maniac Cop series, oddly enough.

I think you may find much greater enjoyment in the remake. It makes tremendous use of it's first person aesthetic and it was doing the neon, 80s throwback aesthetic before it was commonplace. It's got a unique approach to horror that I want to applaud that is hard to mention without spoiling.

The original I can't make a guarantee about. It shares a lot in common with Martin (if you take a more realistic interpretation of that film), Henry and Taxi Driver, as even the casting of Spinell seems to be due to that lineage. I think it's got some exceptionally done, shocking violence but it doesn't revel in it the way one might expect. It didn't seem nearly as sadistic as some of the Italian films I've watched of late, like New York Ripper or Opera.

Maniac Cop is a safer series to dive into first and if you dig it enough, I think it may make Maniac a worthwhile gander.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:14 am

I think Bride of Re-animator pulls off camp quite well, but the broader portrayal of West lacks some of the charm of the commitment of Combs' performance in the original.

I'll second what MKS says about the original Maniac. It's grimy and hard to sit through, but I think it has a lot more compassion than most grindhouse fare.

As for my recent horror viewing, I've been on a sci-fi kick since Annihilation (really dug it, smarter posters than I have laid out its meritson here). I saw the first Resident Evil, which is much hackier than the later entries while lacking the gleeful stupidity of the second. I feel confident calling it the worst in the series, although I haven't seen The Final Chapter. I also finally saw Alien 3, which I liked a lot more than its reputation led me to expect, mostly on its visual strengths. I think of it as the Day of the Dead of the series, more uneven and nihilistic than the first two, but not without its virtues. And of course this led me to revisit Alien. One of these days I'll say something insightful about that movie, but what a perfect piece of sci-fi horror perfection. I was worried during this viewing when i stayed payoff more attention than usual to the production design that I wouldn't be able to get into it, but ended up legit stressed out during the last half hour, which I don't think any other movie has done to me.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Stu wrote:
Happy to be of help, heh. Anyway, it is a really good record, and that is a great opening track, though I feel that the thing that makes it such a great song, its integration of the Phantasm theme, makes the rest of the songs on LHP run together more than they would've otherwise, since none of them really have that unique, special something setting them apart like the title track does. My real favorite album when it comes to old-school Swedeath (and what was quite possibly the first Swedeath album, period) is Carnage's Dark Recollections; this is the only record the band ever recorded before some of their members went on to reform Dismember, while rhythm guitarist Michael Amott went on to join Carcass/found Arch Enemy, but man, what a record it was, and a real important, underappreciated slab of metal history:

\ m /

Smalley, I'm not gonna call it Swedeath, but I appreciate the recommendation.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Rock wrote:
I think Bride of Re-animator pulls off camp quite well, but the broader portrayal of West lacks some of the charm of the commitment of Combs' performance in the original.

I'll second what MKS says about the original Maniac. It's grimy and hard to sit through, but I think it has a lot more compassion than most grindhouse fare.

As for my recent horror viewing, I've been on a sci-fi kick since Annihilation (really dug it, smarter posters than I have laid out its meritson here). I saw the first Resident Evil, which is much hackier than the later entries while lacking the gleeful stupidity of the second. I feel confident calling it the worst in the series, although I haven't seen The Final Chapter. I also finally saw Alien 3, which I liked a lot more than its reputation led me to expect, mostly on its visual strengths. I think of it as the Day of the Dead of the series, more uneven and nihilistic than the first two, but not without its virtues. And of course this led me to revisit Alien. One of these days I'll say something insightful about that movie, but what a perfect piece of sci-fi horror perfection. I was worried during this viewing when i stayed payoff more attention than usual to the production design that I wouldn't be able to get into it, but ended up legit stressed out during the last half hour, which I don't think any other movie has done to me.

I assure you, Final Chapter is the worst of the franchise and probably Anderson's worst film. I would also put Afterlife beneath the original.

Alien 3 is also quite good. Somewhere between the Assembly Cut and the Theatrical is a great film. Overall, I prefer the theatrical.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:24 pm

I heard The Final Chapter is full of shaky cam, and all I can think is "why?" The only reason anyone likes these movies is the coherent camerawork so that seems like a dumb decision. Afterlife is dumb as shit but at least has a sense of style, shock places it above the original for me.

Yeah, I think both cuts have their virtues. One thing the theatrical cut does better, and it's a minor thing,
but the Assembly Cut switching out the dog for the ox lessens the impact of the alien's introduction. It seems much less upsetting, especially as we don't really spend time with the ox when it's alive.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Rock wrote:
I heard The Final Chapter is full of shaky cam, and all I can think is "why?" The only reason anyone likes these movies is the coherent camerawork so that seems like a dumb decision. Afterlife is dumb as shit but at least has a sense of style, shock places it above the original for me.

Yeah, I think both cuts have their virtues. One thing the theatrical cut does better, and it's a minor thing,
but the Assembly Cut switching out the dog for the ox lessens the impact of the alien's introduction. It seems much less upsetting, especially as we don't really spend time with the ox when it's alive.

Final Chapter has relentless tight framing, shaking camera and rapid editing. It looks more like a Megaton joint that Anderson.

I hated Afterlife. It felt like a cynical joke. A movie without scenes, purpose or authentic style. Like what would happen if you just kept giving a 12 year old money to see what he'd eventually come up with. It even forgot to end. The one after that (Extinction?) Is probably the series highlight of excess and "fun." It's still an utter piece of trash but it's got some entertainment there.

Underworld is the superior long running leather lady horror actioneer franchise in my book. And it ain't close. And the bar ain't high.

Complete agreement on that aspect of the theatrical. The only thing I liked more about the AC was the crazy "dragon" guy

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:40 pm

I enjoyed the first Maniac Cop on a cheesy level. It took some story stuff in directions I was not expecting. Didn’t know there was a 2. Will have to find it.

Alien 3 is certainly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. But it’s still not great. Better than that fucking Resurrection that’s for sure.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:48 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Final Chapter has relentless tight framing, shaking camera and rapid editing. It looks more like a Megaton joint that Anderson.

I hated Afterlife. It felt like a cynical joke. A movie without scenes, purpose or authentic style. Like what would happen if you just kept giving a 12 year old money to see what he'd eventually come up with. It even forgot to end. The one after that (Extinction?) Is probably the series highlight of excess and "fun." It's still an utter piece of trash but it's got some entertainment there.

Underworld is the superior long running leather lady horror actioneer franchise in my book. And it ain't close. And the bar ain't high.

Complete agreement on that aspect of the theatrical. The only thing I liked more about the AC was the crazy "dragon" guy

Leather lady horror makes everyone involved sound like a degenerate, haha. :shifty:

I'm not gonna spend too much time defending Afterlife because I don't even like it that much, but as stupid and shapeless as the proceedings are, I found enough of it well filmed that I give it a pass, although I'm resistant to any claims that Anderson is some kind of genius.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Rock wrote:
Leather lady horror makes everyone involved sound like a degenerate, haha. :shifty:

I'm not gonna spend too much time defending Afterlife because I don't even like it that much, but as stupid and shapeless as the proceedings are, I found enough of it well filmed that I give it a pass, although I'm resistant to any claims that Anderson is some kind of genius.

But let's digress and get to the hard questions: how do you feel about the Underworld franchise?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:00 am

Maniac Cop 3 is not as good as the other two Maniac Cops but the story behind making Maniac Cop is pretty dang interesting (had to change the lead from a new black detective to Robert Davi because they couldn't secure Japanese rights, shooting without a script, Larry Cohen trying to transcribe a script over the phone rather than write it, a 51 min rough cut, Lustig leaving production, etc) and it's a miracle the film is watchable, even having some dang impressive moments, like a Verhoeven influenced long take through an ER or a Woo influenced hospital shootout.

I hope Refn's remake gets going. I want more in my life.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:30 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

But let's digress and get to the hard questions: how do you feel about the Underworld franchise?

I haven't seen any of them, but I saw a bunch of them pop up on Canadian Netflix. They just looked hackish and drab. Convince me I'm wrong, MKS.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:57 am

Rock wrote:
I haven't seen any of them, but I saw a bunch of them pop up on Canadian Netflix. They just looked hackish and drab. Convince me I'm wrong, MKS.

You get to oggle Beckinsale, the second one is a chase movie, the third is a prequel that's bafflingly the best in the franchise, the fourth has Beckinsale stab a dude with a shotgun, and the fourth proves that despite all excuses for the contrary, the franchise is absolutely in love with it's own mythology.

The first is boring medicine but has Bill Nighy and Michael Sheen chewing all the scenery.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 am

How much will I miss if I skip the first one? Keep in mind that I watched the Transformers and RE series out of order (and still haven't seen an entry from each), and those movies are bizarrely plot- heavy (although none of it matters lol).

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:42 am

Rock wrote:
How much will I miss if I skip the first one? Keep in mind that I watched the Transformers and RE series out of order (and still haven't seen an entry from each), and those movies are bizarrely plot- heavy (although none of it matters lol).

That's the thing though, those films don't care at all about their mythology while Underworld is almost like an RPG come to life by an over eager nerd (it may actually BE like that). The first isn't too bad. It's just more mediocre. It is worth it for Sheen and Nighy. But it can't be treated like TF or RE.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 am

Gonna repost my review of A Quiet Place in here, if ya'll don't mind:

Silence is survival.

Imagine, if you will, a post-apocalyptic world, one of what is literally deathly silence, where making any kind of noise that is even just remotely loud immediately causes your quick and grisly death. Imagine that you have to live the entire rest of your life this way, while also having to care for and protect your entire family, which of course, means living with four other people (including a couple of very young children) who can potentially produce an unintentional noise, and get every single one of you killed in the blink of an eye. Now imagine that your wife will soon give birth to a squirming, screaming baby, with only a couple of weeks left for you to to find a way for her to safely (which, in this case, means silently) give birth, all while keeping everyone involved, above all things, quiet. Well, John Krasinski has imagined such a world for us in the superb A Quiet Place, a movie that expertly blends an irresistable, high-concept gimmick with a consistently tense and thrilling execution, resulting in a combination of visceral, B-movie thrills with A-movie craft that is disappointingly rare to encounter in modern film.

When it comes to the film's story, I already described pretty much everything you need to know about the film's plot, and, while there are a few important specifics that haven't been mentioned yet (the most important of which being the daughter's hearing impairment, which justifies the entire family being proficient in sign language, a skill that, of course, helps explain how they've improbably survived so long), for the most part, A Quiet Place is a very simple, straightforward film, one that's mostly distinguished by its central gimmick of mysterious, hideous monsters that hunt people exclusively by sound, both in its (literally) quieter first half, and its relentlessly escalating, unbearably intense finale. Whereas it's easy to imagine a less dedicated filmmaker merely using the idea for an occasionally cheap jump scare, and forget about it completely the rest of the time, Krasinksi goes all the way here with Place's "silence is survival" conceit, placing a refreshingly restrained and mature emphasis on almost completely non-verbal storytelling, carefully focusing every single scene and moment around a constant awareness of every potentially life-ending noise the characters are making,

Krasinski retains a certain, strong discipline around his practical executions of the idea, showing us how the family gets around their farmland in silence by walking barefoot ontop of paths of freshly laid sand, or a moment when the son lets out a long pent-in yell of joy when he's led to a cacophonous, noise-masking waterfall in the woods, or when the mother and father (portrayed by Krasinski and his real-life spouse Emily Blunt) use a pair of shared earbuds to enjoy a romantic dance while listening to Neil Young's "Harvest Moon", a lovely moment of sound in world that's turned into one big silent Hell. Of course, that isn't to suggest that such pathos are one of A Quiet Place's main strengths on the whole, as a few of the more personal, emotional moments among the family here either feel a bit like shoehorned afterthoughts, or are simply just not developed at all (the ending in particular finishes on a rather sudden, "cutesy" little audience-pleaser note, rather than with a more thoughtful, reverent direction I feel would've suited the film better).

That being said, the film still finishes strong with its 2nd half, which is basically a non-stop domino effect of narrow escapes and unabashed creature feature scares, delivering the kind of guttural, horrifically tense thrills that were mostly (and smartly) denied to us during the film's almost completely silent opening act, as we marvel in fear at just how the family can possibly escape whatever latest, horrible situation they find themselves trapped in. One horrific turn just leads to another which inevitably leads to another, with the final 45 minutes of a Place containing FAR more sheer terror and excitement than the vast majority of other Horrors can deliver in 2 hours and some change. Some occasionally sloppy details aside (so how and when did that water main get busted, anyway?), A Quiet Place was a great time at the theater, and already a strong contender for best Horror movie in a year that isn't even halfway over yet; unlike the characters here, don't be afraid to spread the word.
Favorite Moment: the bathtub birth
Final Score: 8.5

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 am

I stopped after the first Underworld. May have to check out the sequels.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:50 am

Finished Bride of Re-Animator. Cross-posting my review from Thief's thread.

Bride of Re-Animator

It's been a real long time since I've seen Re-Animator, but I remember liking it well enough to give the sequel a go.

Doctors Dan Cain and Herbert West, having somehow escaped any repercussions from the massacre that ended the first film, are back, having discovered the true secret to reanimation in Peru. Dan, still mourning the loss of his girlfriend Meg, agrees to go along with Herbert's plan to build a woman out of parts stolen from the hospital's crematorium/mortuary. The centerpiece of the cobbled together woman is Meg's heart. Complicating things are Dan's romance with the gorgeous Francesca, the presence of a detective with an inkling of what they are up to, and the decapitated (but very much alive) head of their nemesis.

It was hard, while watching this movie, not to compare it to Frankenhooker, which I just watched a month ago. Both are campy films in which heartbroken men use medical know-how to build a new woman out of spare parts in an attempt to resuscitate their lost loves. Both movies were pretty funny, but I felt like Bride of Re-Animator had some tonal inconsistency. The actresses playing Francesca and the reanimated woman put some real emotional heft into their performances (feeling rejected by Dan, the "bride" says "You made me" in a voice that is all at once unbelieving and sad and angry, and it's a moment and a line-delivery that belongs in a film without a creature made out of fingers and an eyeball). Their acting makes the final act of the film feel far more impactful and gives it a welcome emotional center, but it also doesn't quite fit with the broader performances around them, especially Herbert West's over-the-top mad scientist.

Maybe it's because I'm currently fostering an injured animal, but I didn't care for the animal violence in the film. I felt like the cruelty of it wasn't balanced out by the campy tone. I also had really mixed feelings about the movie positioning Dan as a protagonist. One thing that I liked about Frankenhooker was that the movie clearly knew that it's main character was a creep and that his behavior toward the women in the film was wrong and gross. But in Bride of Re-Animator, Dan (especially as juxtaposed with the more extreme Herbert) is given sad music behind his scenes, even as he creepily imposes unprofessional sexual and romantic feelings onto a terminally ill woman under his care. His eventual
rejection of the reanimated "bride" also comes off as particularly heartless. Him telling her "You aren't Meg--Meg's dead!!" is meant to show that he is facing reality and moving on. But instead it comes off as horribly cruel. When the "bride" becomes (understandably) angry and jealous of Francesca, Dan calls her a "monster". This from the guy who went along with putting the decapitated head of his patient on a body just so that he can live out a fantasy of being with his girlfriend again. The movie lets the blame and the weight of the wrong-doing fall (literally) on West, and Dan gets a romantic-ish ending as he pulls Francesca to safety and the two embrace. Meh.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Deschain wrote:
I stopped after the first Underworld. May have to check out the sequels.

These are very mild recommendations, especially for 4 and 5 but I will argue that 2 and 3 are very solid genre flicks that treat their intricate mythologies with highly uncommon respect. I think Evolution, the second one, may go over well with the more action oriented crowd on here. It's brisk, brutal and barely ever stops. It's one of those "the whole movie is a chase scene" flicks and feels almost like an extended final act to the first film, which was severely lacking in action.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:52 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
These are very mild recommendations, especially for 4 and 5 but I will argue that 2 and 3 are very solid genre flicks that treat their intricate mythologies with highly uncommon respect. I think Evolution, the second one, may go over well with the more action oriented crowd on here. It's brisk, brutal and barely ever stops. It's one of those "the whole movie is a chase scene" flicks and feels almost like an extended final act to the first film, which was severely lacking in action.

I didn’t even know there was a 5 and it came out last year?!

Believe me the mildest recommendation is all it takes. I’ve watched all of the Return of the Living Dead movies, all the Resident Evils. I’m a glutton for shit. These will be perfect filler for October.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Scratched off another 80s movie from my Unseen list, The Fly II. This is one I always avoided just because I'd never heard anything good about it from others. Going in with the lowest of expectations, it was actually kind of fun. Cheez-tastic, no doubt, but gonzo enough to entertain. Being forever linked to a Cronenberg-in-his-prime predecessor is always going to be a disadvantage, and it was probably a bad idea to include actual footage from the 86 version, which only reminds the viewer of that better Fly movie they could be watching. If one can somehow pretend that Part 1 doesn't exist, this one might have more of a following just because it really delivers as a gorefest.
But yeah, for those who've not seen it, don't expect any of the depth or intelligence or good acting found in the original. Also the science manages to be the shakiest of a series not exactly known for its scientifically-sound premise. Instead, look forward to obnoxious bad guys getting melted by fly vomit and that'll give you an idea what you're in for.
Random thoughts:
-Can we all agree that the hypothetical spawn of Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis would probably NOT resemble Eric Stoltz?
-You know you're in 1989 when a random kd lang number appears out of nowhere.
Final Score: Cheeztastic

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Edit...wrong thread... :oops:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Pretty good first film. Kate Beckinsale kicking butt in black leather. Vampires versus werewolves. Good British actors willing to dive down into the material.

Films two and three were OK, but I saw a franchise drowning itself in its own mythology.

I think Maniac Cop 3 is the only one I saw. A bit goofy and maybe there was a little gore? Having seen the Elijah Wood Maniac remake, I have zero desire to see the original.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 am

Apex Predator wrote:

Pretty good first film. Kate Beckinsale kicking butt in black leather. Vampires versus werewolves. Good British actors willing to dive down into the material.

Films two and three were OK, but I saw a franchise drowning itself in its own mythology.

I think Maniac Cop 3 is the only one I saw. A bit goofy and maybe there was a little gore? Having seen the Elijah Wood Maniac remake, I have zero desire to see the original.

I think 2 and 3 are far better than the original, which was trying desperately to capitalize on the Blade and Matrix franchises and didn't have a distinct enough style or good enough action to justify the bloated run times. I agree on the strengths you listed though.

Maniac Cop 3 is the weakest of the originals. Maniac, starring Elijah Wood, is a remake of Maniac, directed by Lustig who did the Maniac Cop films as well. They're all very different from each other. Why did the remake make you not want to see Maniac?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:20 am

DaMU wrote:

I read words lamenting that this one is not to be enjoyed at the cinema because the quiet spots are filled in by the slurpings and munchings of fellow theater patrons. Is this true? Shall I wait to watch in my private abode or strike out with my hard earned cash to enjoy this on the big screen?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:49 am

I saw A Quiet Place today. I liked it a lot. Krasinski has proven himself a very capable actor and director. Blunt was great. The kids were great. It looked good and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was up for a sound design Oscar. But I couldn’t turn the logical part of my brain off the entire time.

The monsters are blind and hunt by sound. When they hear something they show up and jump or swipe at whatever it is. They’re not that smart. The whole movie I kept try to come up with ways to outsmart these monsters and wondering how society collapsed in three months.

I didn’t like when Krasinski sacrificed himself for the kids. He coulda made noise in any other way than just shouting and would have had a better chance to survive.

Also I went to the bathroom and missed two minutes so maybe I missed this. Did they set up why that nail was in the stair? Keasinski went down there every day and it seemed like an obvious thing he would fix.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:37 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

I read words lamenting that this one is not to be enjoyed at the cinema because the quiet spots are filled in by the slurpings and munchings of fellow theater patrons. Is this true? Shall I wait to watch in my private abode or strike out with my hard earned cash to enjoy this on the big screen?

This is also my question. I have zero tolerance for my fellow man, so I'm afraid this movie will be too easily ruined for me.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:53 am

Can't recall if I got the rec for All the Boys Love Mandy Lane from this thread, or if it just popped up in my Netflix recs.

Anyway, I don't understand why the movie has only a 41% at Rotten Tomatoes. Sure, I can agree with nearly all the criticisms of it that I read, but I still thought it was quite watchable. Apparently some reviewers think they should review horror films as if they were film films, and take those who are not horror fans into account.

Tell me, who would watch a horror film who wasn't a horror film fan, unless it was a sheer 1st time newb?

Given that I an pretty good at figuring out twists and stuff way before the reveal, I'm not surprised that I figured out very early who one of the assailants was. Honestly, it took me until a couple scenes before they revealed who the accomplice was before that thought popped into my noggin. I'm not sure there weren't plenty of hints planted in the movie. I wonder who else guessed the turn at the end by halfway through the movie. Surely some of you did.

So, if the rec came from here, thanks to you who posted about it and set me on the quest.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:01 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I think 2 and 3 are far better than the original, which was trying desperately to capitalize on the Blade and Matrix franchises and didn't have a distinct enough style or good enough action to justify the bloated run times. I agree on the strengths you listed though.

Maniac Cop 3 is the weakest of the originals. Maniac, starring Elijah Wood, is a remake of Maniac, directed by Lustig who did the Maniac Cop films as well. They're all very different from each other. Why did the remake make you not want to see Maniac?

The first one worked enough for me as an action picture. The second one had some decent action sequences, but its backstory started to overwhelm. Three was even more backstory. I guess it was diminishing returns for me, but films 4 and 5 aren't exactly calling me out to watch them.

I do know the difference between Maniac and the Maniac Cops. I should have separated the sentences there.

But after seeing the blood and gore in the remake and hearing that the original was worse in both counts makes me think that I'm good if I never see this one. Then again, I thought the same thing about I Spit on Your Grave and I did eventually (unfortunately) remedy that situation.

TBH, I'm not that much of a gorehound. I get special effects and all, but to me the line is somewhere between the Saw films and Hostel and its ilk. I think I pushed about as far as I could go with Martyrs (the original) and although I can see why that film was pretty good, I think I can't watch anything like that again.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:55 am

Gort wrote:
Can't recall if I got the rec for All the Boys Love Mandy Lane from this thread, or if it just popped up in my Netflix recs.

Anyway, I don't understand why the movie has only a 41% at Rotten Tomatoes. Sure, I can agree with nearly all the criticisms of it that I read, but I still thought it was quite watchable. Apparently some reviewers think they should review horror films as if they were film films, and take those who are not horror fans into account.

Tell me, who would watch a horror film who wasn't a horror film fan, unless it was a sheer 1st time newb?

Given that I an pretty good at figuring out twists and stuff way before the reveal, I'm not surprised that I figured out very early who one of the assailants was. Honestly, it took me until a couple scenes before they revealed who the accomplice was before that thought popped into my noggin. I'm not sure there weren't plenty of hints planted in the movie. I wonder who else guessed the turn at the end by halfway through the movie. Surely some of you did.

So, if the rec came from here, thanks to you who posted about it and set me on the quest.

Will agree that the film is watchable and it's easy to see how Amber Heard went on to relatively bigger things.

I, too, realized who the perpetrators were. In one of them, it did take me until maybe a scene or two before it was revealed.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:58 am

Gort wrote:

Anyway, I don't understand why the movie has only a 41% at Rotten Tomatoes. Sure, I can agree with nearly all the criticisms of it that I read, but I still thought it was quite watchable.

I thought it was watchable, but not particularly good. I thought that the ending was pretty predictable, the characters were utterly forgettable.

I do remember really liking the scene of the one girl self-consciously trimming her pubic hair in the bathroom. It's funny and unglamorous, and there's something so real about a hurtful comment leading to a panicked "I MUST FIX THIS" reaction in terms of believing the characters as teens.

I remember really not liking the scene where a girl performs oral sex and right after
has a gun or something shoved in her mouth and the person breaks or dislocated her jaw or something. It immediately follows not just her performing a sex act, but also her asking her partner to reciprocate. It's the only murder I remember from the movie and I didn't care for having a woman asking for sexual pleasure being followed by such a cruel (and blatantly sexual) violent act. Horror movies just love putting knives/guns/etc in women's mouths and this time the trope really struck a sour note for me. I know that the sexually aggressive violence makes sense with Emmett's blue-balls character, but I still didn't care for it.

I didn't hate it, but by the same token I would never recommend it.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:10 am

I remember thinking All the Boys Love Mandy Lane was terrible and shelved for a reason. Now I can't even remember why and I think that may be the most damning thing I can say about a movie.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I remember thinking All the Boys Love Mandy Lane was terrible and shelved for a reason. Now I can't even remember why and I think that may be the most damning thing I can say about a movie.

I remember two things from it (as listed in the post above): one good, and one bad. I think that the movie really wasn't helped by the whole "Amazing movie that was shelved for years!" hype when it finally came out. If you watched it on Amazon or Netflix for free at 1am on a Friday night, it would be like "okay." But it's a thoroughly mediocre/sub-par film, and so any hype only highlights that it isn't anything special.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:26 am

Expecting great things from a horro movie is barking up the wrong tree.

Getting great things from a horror movie is a cool turn of events.

Mandy Lane was merely something to watch. Still, every criticism I've read about it, including these, is true.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 2461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 50  Next