It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 pm



Reply to topic  [ 1364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Author Message
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

I remember two things from it (as listed in the post above): one good, and one bad. I think that the movie really wasn't helped by the whole "Amazing movie that was shelved for years!" hype when it finally came out. If you watched it on Amazon or Netflix for free at 1am on a Friday night, it would be like "okay." But it's a thoroughly mediocre/sub-par film, and so any hype only highlights that it isn't anything special.


That's almost exactly how I watched it. "Okay" feels too high of praise but I can't say for sure because I've forgotten it. I THINK I remember feeling disappointed at how predictable it was. I didn't even really have expectations for it.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Gort wrote:
Expecting great things from a horror movie is barking up the wrong tree.


I don't think it's reasonable to expect every horror film to be The Thing, but even from "middle-of-the-road" horror I don't think it's unreasonable to expect creativity or surprises, or even just one or two memorable kills.

Both Shallow Ground and Salvage are low budget affairs. I can't argue that either is great, but both had moments or ideas that were something different. My expectations for All the Boys Love Mandy Lane weren't super high (even given some of its pre-release hype), but the film just lacked any spark. Even in its moments of competence it was mostly soulless. The acting is decent. It looks okay. But there's no sparkle to it.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Yep, Shallow Ground was an immediate buy for me when I first saw it. So I've watched it several times over the past years. I haven't seen Salvage.

Shallow Ground was of interest to me because of what they managed on a $60,000 budget (or was it $80,000?). I'm interested in cheaply produced films because I have known that if I ever got to make one it would be in that rock-bottom budget category. Meanwhile, I have $200,000,000 budget ideas. Sheesh. Partly I watched Mandy Lane to see what kind of horror flick could be coughed up with only $750,000.

I guess maybe the "soulless" term you used is a good description of the empty characters that I noticed. On the other hand, I didn't find the acting to be particularly bad. The situations and the general type of characters probably are the tiredest thing about the movie.

Even given all that stuff, even recognizing what is missing and so forth, it was more bland than terrible, I think.

Mind you, I don't have any hankering to ever see it again. It won't be added to my collection of movies. But I don't feel as if 90 minutes of my life was robbed from me. :)

_________________
"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I THINK I remember feeling disappointed at how predictable it was. I didn't even really have expectations for it.


As I hinted in my first post about Mandy Lane, I would never notice that a movie is predictable. I almost always leap ahead, even when I try not to, and figure out the twist endings, and plot points. That's why I asked if others had the same experience with this one. When I watched Secret Garden with my brother (after he bought the DVD of it for my Christmas present) he was astounded when I told him what was going on in the movie in a very early shot where Depp regards himself in a mirror. Mind you, I didn't know that I had just guessed the ultimate underlying aspect of the surprise ending. I simply knew what was going down.

The Sixth Sense didn't even hold out until the scripted reveal at the end, but because I was intending to not notice anything that would give it away, I didn't realize that my early suspicion of the situation the movie is based on was real until a couple of scenes before the official give-away.

This is not a brag, I'm just saddled with this situation whenever I watch movies. I don't do this on purpose. Fortunately, some still manage to surprise me. But most "surprise" twists are pretty lame, and have nothing to do with the story you have just watched. They are there just for some "wow" factor that I rarely feel when the reveal is finished. :D

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I had to worry about spoilers -- uhm -- spoiling something about a movie.

_________________
"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

TBH, I did see Mandy Lane on YouTube a couple of years before it was released. Considering how long it was on the shelf, I guess that might have been inevitable.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:17 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

In general, and I don't think most of you will disagree with this, I don't expect every movie I watch in any genre to be a big winner.

But I might be what you would call a "denigrating term here" movie watcher because my expectations aren't "high enough." Not sure.

"Show me something" is my only expectation of most movies. And almost always the director shows me something! There are times when I feel as if my time was wasted, but I key on acting, production techniques, budget to screen whiz ratio and many other aspects while I watch. Plus, I'm bad at spotting bad acting because I help out the actors on screen, if that makes any sense. Still, sometimes the acting is awful, and I can see that.

I guess I often help out the writers, too. And once in a while they are beyond help, that's true.

It isn't as if I don't see some rotters once in a while. But a mediocre film is probably average for films (maybe by definition). And I don't think a film has to have surprising plot elements to be good. It doesn't have to show you something new to be good. It can be solid, and good without being innovative.

But I could be wrong about all this, I suppose.

BTW, this is not a defense of Mandy Lane.

_________________
"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Gort wrote:
In general, and I don't think most of you will disagree with this, I don't expect every movie I watch in any genre to be a big winner.

But I might be what you would call a "denigrating term here" movie watcher because my expectations aren't "high enough." Not sure.

"Show me something" is my only expectation of most movies. And almost always the director shows me something! There are times when I feel as if my time was wasted, but I key on acting, production techniques, budget to screen whiz ratio and many other aspects while I watch. Plus, I'm bad at spotting bad acting because I help out the actors on screen, if that makes any sense. Still, sometimes the acting is awful, and I can see that.

I guess I often help out the writers, too. And once in a while they are beyond help, that's true.

It isn't as if I don't see some rotters once in a while. But a mediocre film is probably average for films (maybe by definition). And I don't think a film has to have surprising plot elements to be good. It doesn't have to show you something new to be good. It can be solid, and good without being innovative.

But I could be wrong about all this, I suppose.

BTW, this is not a defense of Mandy Lane.


I get what you're saying.

I try to judge films on its own merits (how well it entertains, how competent it is, etc). I try to go in without seeing trailers or looking at spoilers.

To me, mediocre is average.

I generally try to see good films, but once in a while, I like to watch a dog to re-calibrate my film viewing. I think there's such a thing/danger as being too critical, particularly if you just see good movies one right after another. How do you know what's bad without ever seeing a bad film?

I think I gave Mandy a C+ myself. I think some of the criticisms, such as lazy plotting and the ineffective twist, is accurate. But I felt like it kinda captured how teens talked and acted (in a stylized, screenwritten way).

Give me this over TCM 3D any day of the week.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:27 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Gort wrote:

As I hinted in my first post about Mandy Lane, I would never notice that a movie is predictable. I almost always leap ahead, even when I try not to, and figure out the twist endings, and plot points. That's why I asked if others had the same experience with this one. When I watched Secret Garden with my brother (after he bought the DVD of it for my Christmas present) he was astounded when I told him what was going on in the movie in a very early shot where Depp regards himself in a mirror. Mind you, I didn't know that I had just guessed the ultimate underlying aspect of the surprise ending. I simply knew what was going down.

The Sixth Sense didn't even hold out until the scripted reveal at the end, but because I was intending to not notice anything that would give it away, I didn't realize that my early suspicion of the situation the movie is based on was real until a couple of scenes before the official give-away.

This is not a brag, I'm just saddled with this situation whenever I watch movies. I don't do this on purpose. Fortunately, some still manage to surprise me. But most "surprise" twists are pretty lame, and have nothing to do with the story you have just watched. They are there just for some "wow" factor that I rarely feel when the reveal is finished. :D

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I had to worry about spoilers -- uhm -- spoiling something about a movie.


It's not hard to predict movies. Narratives follow rules. A movie being predictable is problematic only when it thinks it's not. This movie thought it was deceptive but was too stupidly obvious to obfuscate it's truth. That's what's unforgivable.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:50 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Now I'm gonna have to go back and watch Shallow Ground again.
I bought it out of the $3 bin at a video store in 2005 during what would turn out to be my 1st Annual Horrorthon.
At that time I was very unaccustomed to watching any movie with a budget that low and it was really distracting to me and made me feel like the movie was kinda shit. Except that, as we've talked about before, I didn't really think it was shit, I thought it had a lot of good going for it. I can't remember what I thought the strengths and weaknesses were now, 12 1/2 years later, but I don't think I'd ever actually sat through such a low-budget movie before but I finished that one and it stuck with me.
So I'll watch it again maybe in October.


Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Pandorum was going reasonably well with its bluish dark blue darkness and sub-Alien(s) riffery, but then it decided that it was clever and forces upon us Corporal Nosebleed and a dumbassed twist and "deep" ending all the while managing to be worse and worse shot as it went along and thoroughly shitting the bed in the process. Watching it so soon after revisiting Alien and Aliens probably did it no favours, but wouldn't it be nice if dumb movies didn't try to not be dumb?

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm


Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Image

I haven't seen any Lucio Fulci past the mid-80s, so I gave this 1991 effort a shot. I'm not really sure how good it is, but it's pretty funny, and not in that "so bad" way. Well, a little in the "so bananas" sense. But much of the humor, surrounding a deeply corrupt man and his rotten family, must be intentional, in a nasty and darkly cynical way. But some of the humor is because the film really is crazy, not overtly but like a bizarre soap opera or something. Generous helpings of dream sequences keeps viewers on their toes, but the "horror" elements are pretty restricted to a slight supernatural bent. Mostly, it's just a really vicious family inheritance scheme.

Better than most Argento films of the 90s. But not scary.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:04 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Now I'm gonna have to go back and watch Shallow Ground again.


I think it has some really striking imagery, decent performances, and a slightly-confusing plot that's slightly saved by some gnarly gore at the end. I think that if you are taking into account its budget, it is pretty successful.

I do have to say, though, Salvage is currently the low-budget horror I will defend tooth and nail. Good performances (especially from the two leads), a really original concept, some memorable violence that manages to stay shy of being exploitative, and better filming and a better "look" than its budget would suggest. It also has a really interesting commentary track by the brothers who made it. They give a ton of information about how they've been able to complete several films on a tight budget (everything from how they cast their actors to the cameras and lenses they use, to how they get their soundtrack).


Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:15 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It's not hard to predict movies. Narratives follow rules. A movie being predictable is problematic only when it thinks it's not. This movie thought it was deceptive but was too stupidly obvious to obfuscate it's truth. That's what's unforgivable.

:D Then I seem to know a lot of people who haven't caught on to the rules, yet.

_________________
"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Apex Predator wrote:
I generally try to see good films, but once in a while, I like to watch a dog to re-calibrate my film viewing. I think there's such a thing/danger as being too critical, particularly if you just see good movies one right after another. How do you know what's bad without ever seeing a bad film?

True. You know bad when you see it.

But I don't ever watch a dog on purpose. :)

I don't think it's wrong to have expectations when you watch a movie. Any movie. Not wrong, but I think it's a bit off base to say the movie fails because it doesn't match MY expectations.

Also, the mood you're in when you watch a film is very much a part of whether you like it or not.

There are many, many factors other than what is on the screen at the time you see any film that will affect your opinion of the film. You cannot separate yourself from the movie, in a sense. At least not totally. Your ancillary experiences will exert force on what you think of the film.

And if you see "good movies" one right after another even the good ones begin to seem...well, at least "less good." I think that happens to people who are tasked with watching and writing about films for a living. They actually reach a point where they truly cannot say whether a film is good or bad. Only whether they liked it or not.

My opinion about a movie is just that. An opinion. It isn't a concrete assessment of the true worth, value or artistry of the film.

Also, not every film that I have enjoyed watching has been a good film. But that didn't make it un-enjoyable.

I thought I knew something about this before I started the Rematch thread. But I learned a hell of a lot more about how my mood, general level of energy and other stuff besides the film itself affect my opinion of it, while I was plowing through all those movies. For example I have prejudices about certain kinds of films, and films from certain eras (hate the 70s by and large, but there are a few goodies in there). But it's all just my opinion. How I feel about the movie when I watch it, I mean. That's one reason I watched most of those films at least three times before I wrote the review. Some I couldn't stand to watch again, and I tried to write from memory about those.

Overall, I think my written assessments of the films in the various rematches were actually pretty mediocre. But it was fun to examine them in the way I did. And, I enjoyed watching most of the movies in the Rematches, whether I picked them or someone else suggested them.

_________________
"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Just wanted to mention that today I was driving behind a car with a license plate that read CTHULHU.

It was that license plate, and then a bumper sticker of the equals sign (equal rights).


Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:35 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Jinnistan wrote:
Image

I haven't seen any Lucio Fulci past the mid-80s, so I gave this 1991 effort a shot. I'm not really sure how good it is, but it's pretty funny, and not in that "so bad" way. Well, a little in the "so bananas" sense. But much of the humor, surrounding a deeply corrupt man and his rotten family, must be intentional, in a nasty and darkly cynical way. But some of the humor is because the film really is crazy, not overtly but like a bizarre soap opera or something. Generous helpings of dream sequences keeps viewers on their toes, but the "horror" elements are pretty restricted to a slight supernatural bent. Mostly, it's just a really vicious family inheritance scheme.

Better than most Argento films of the 90s. But not scary.

Haven't seen that one, but Cat in the Brain is surprisingly watchable considering how much of it is just Fulci reacting to recycled footage. There are laughs, at least some of which are intentional.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm


Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Image

This one's got a pretty high Tomatometer, but I just didn't connect with it at all. It's from the director of We Are Still Here which I mostly liked. I don't think it's fair to criticize a film for being low-budget, but in this case everything looked and felt cheap which I do think is a valid complaint. Everything from the script to camerawork and performances all seemed second-rate somehow. I was never once convinced that any of this was happening in 1814, for starters. Its a hard thing to explain, since most of the action takes place in the forest, and surely forests haven't become dated in the ensuing centuries. Maybe it's just me.

Anyhow, the story is about some surly US Soldiers who encounter a Mohawk village. Much bleeding and bone-breakage ensues. I'm always up for a good revenge tale, but just wasn't invested enough in any of the characters to enjoy the revenge when it happens. I recognized the message the film is trying to get across, so it's not like I didn't "get" it, I just didn't find any of it compelling. Oh well, lots of others seem to like it so don't take my word for it. That's my 2 cents.

_________________
Captain's Log


Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

The Long Hair of Death begins and ends like a classic Italian gothic in the vein of Black Sunday, with Margheriti doing his best (and an admirable job at that) Bava impression. The middle sags and came dangerously close to putting me to sleep (not quite the movies fault as I was very tired but it didn't pull me out either), despite the occasional inspired shot and the hypnotizing odd beauty of Barbara Steele. A mild recommendation if you love Black Sunday.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Captain Terror wrote:
Image

This one's got a pretty high Tomatometer, but I just didn't connect with it at all. It's from the director of We Are Still Here which I mostly liked.


Too bad--I really liked We Are Still Here.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:11 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Ha--wrong thread!

I mean, I was still horrified by it, just not . . . you know.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
A film you remember from your childhood: My Little Pony: The Movie

When I was growing up there was a video store where we used to rent all of our movies. They layout of the store was well-thought out, and there were three low shelves with all of the kids' movies. My siblings and I did something very typical of little kids: we rented the same movies over and over and over. Before my She-Ra-4-ever phase, there was a brief (but not brief enough) My Little Pony phase.

My Little Pony: The Movie is seared into my memory because of a week that I, my brother, and my sister all had chicken pox. My parents put us in their room and we were all in the bed together just cycling through the movies that we'd rented (each of us got to rent one video). Between my brother's video of He-Man episodes and my sister's rental of Winnie the Pooh, we all got to enjoy the frolicking adventures of magical ponies and evil purple ooze.

This movie is not good. It's not quite the delightful trainwreck I thought it might be. Instead it's middle of the road 80s animation, complete with middling songs, raspy voice acting, and a scene of a woman being spanked that I thought was weird when I was little and think is really weird as an adult.

I mean, there's not much to say about this one. I basically still knew it almost word for word. I think there's much better kids entertainment out there these days, and I don't think this one deserves to be remembered, except maybe for the surprisingly high-profile of some of the voice actors involved (like Tony Goldwyn and Madeline Khan).

Not really a horror movie, but oh well.

_________________
Top 30 Favorite Films of All Time


Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:48 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

As an adult, My Little Pony seems horrifying enough.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Hey, any horror movies come out in the lat 3-4 years (other than the big, obvious ones) that you guys would give even a soft recommend to?
Looking for something to watch tonight and I'm in the mood for decent, recent horror.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Hey, any horror movies come out in the lat 3-4 years (other than the big, obvious ones) that you guys would give even a soft recommend to?
Looking for something to watch tonight and I'm in the mood for decent, recent horror.

As a fan of Oz Perkins, I have to say I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House and The Blackcoat's Daughter.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Jinnistan wrote:
As a fan of Oz Perkins, I have to say I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House and The Blackcoat's Daughter.


Both of those were awful. No plots and lousy acting.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Hey, any horror movies come out in the lat 3-4 years (other than the big, obvious ones) that you guys would give even a soft recommend to?
Looking for something to watch tonight and I'm in the mood for decent, recent horror.


The Strange Color Of Your Body's Tears


More of a giallo but still good. One of my favorite films in general.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Hey, any horror movies come out in the lat 3-4 years (other than the big, obvious ones) that you guys would give even a soft recommend to?
Looking for something to watch tonight and I'm in the mood for decent, recent horror.


Not sure if some of these are too obvious or ones you've already seen.

Strong Recommend:

Eyes of My Mother*
Mr. Jones
Baskin*
Spring
Gerald's Game
Autopsy of Jane Doe*
Before I Wake
The Boy*
The Voices*
Honeymoon
I Am Not a Serial Killer


Soft Recommend:

It Stains the Sands Red
Here Alone
Evolution
Limehouse Golem
The Blackcoat's Daughter
House on Willow Street
Curve
Dig Two Graves
Southbound
Kristy
A Cure for Wellness
Intruders
Goodnight Mommy
Stonehearst Asylum


Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:02 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

Not sure if some of these are too obvious or ones you've already seen.

Strong Recommend:

The Blackcoat's Daughter
Dig Two Graves

These two were sort of jumping out at me, but you say you like Baskin a lot, eh?


Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
These two were sort of jumping out at me, but you say you like Baskin a lot, eh?


Gerald's Game was boring as all get out. Stay Away. Not really horror but thriller that moves like molasses.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
These two were sort of jumping out at me, but you say you like Baskin a lot, eh?


A review sold me on Baskin by calling it a "Turkish Hellraiser. I do think it has its flaws, but what I'd consider the "main event" of the film is pretty memorable and disturbing.

Dig Two Graves to me is more of a thriller than a horror, and it's really hard to talk more about it without spoiling a major element of the film. I do think it has some good imagery and a few memorably creepy scenes. If you go in expecting 70% thriller/30% horror, you might enjoy it more.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

A review sold me on Baskin by calling it a "Turkish Hellraiser. I do think it has its flaws, but what I'd consider the "main event" of the film is pretty memorable and disturbing.

Dig Two Graves to me is more of a thriller than a horror, and it's really hard to talk more about it without spoiling a major element of the film. I do think it has some good imagery and a few memorably creepy scenes. If you go in expecting 70% thriller/30% horror, you might enjoy it more.

Blackcoat's Daughter it is!

Although I am intrigued by Terrifier. I really liked Art The Clown from All Hallow's Eve and his parts of the otherwise pretty awful film were, I thought, genuinely scary, so a whole film of Art The Clown is a draw for me. However, I thought central to his appeal was the performance and they changed actors for some reason.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Blackcoat's Daughter. You're gonna be very disappointed if you're looking for horror. It's more experimental thriller that moves very slow. I thought they should hang the piece up at MOMA.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:47 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Although I am intrigued by Terrifier. I really liked Art The Clown from All Hallow's Eve

oooh, I didn't know about this one, thanks. I liked AHE too.

_________________
Captain's Log


Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:20 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Captain Terror wrote:
oooh, I didn't know about this one, thanks. I liked AHE too.

Terrifier Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdnUVov_-eg


Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:


How are you liking Blackcoat's Daughter so far?

I thought that it delivered on atmosphere (and especially the sound design), but I had some issues with the plotting and pacing that are best addressed in spoiler text.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:09 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:

How are you liking Blackcoat's Daughter so far?

I thought that it delivered on atmosphere (and especially the sound design), but I had some issues with the plotting and pacing that are best addressed in spoiler text.

Watching The Shape Of Water first, BD late-night.
No work tomorrow (woot!).


Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:22 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Watching The Shape Of Water first, BD late-night.
No work tomorrow (woot!).


I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on both.

I just watched Best Worst Movie, the documentary about Troll 2. It's all zany fun in the first half, then it gets profoundly awkward, uncomfortable, and vaguely tragic in the second half.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
Hey, any horror movies come out in the lat 3-4 years (other than the big, obvious ones) that you guys would give even a soft recommend to?
Looking for something to watch tonight and I'm in the mood for decent, recent horror.

Sweet Home is a really well done but criminally underseen home invasion movie.

The Last Survivors is a slow burn post-apocalyptic thriller (not really horror)

Wormwood is a fun and stylish Australian zombie flick.

All three can be found on Netflix.


Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

A Quiet Place lived up to the hype, and then some.

_________________
This Is My New Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)


Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
I finished Open House last night and I ended up being kind of mixed on it, but it's impossible to say why without literally explaining the very end of the movie.

I did like some of the camera angles and generally speaking I thought that the fraught mother-son dynamic at the center of the film felt real.

There were some "Really?" moments that bugged me. At one point, the real estate agent becomes aware that someone broke into the house. But rather than call the police, they just . . . call the people? Who then come home BY THEMSELVES to the house. Like, why did the real estate people not call the cops? Why did the people themselves not call the police and ask them to meet them there? This is kind of a turning point in the movie and it felt weird having such a stupid decision be in the middle of it.

As for the very end (MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS--LIKE LITERALLY THE END OF THE MOVIE) the film spends a lot of time
developing the relationship between the mother and the son, as well as establishing several possible suspects (the charming store clerk, the neighbor with dementia, even maybe the scruffy looking police officer). And then it turns out that . . . it's just some random psycho? For me this was an incredible let down. It basically meant that all of the character work that came before was all for naught. The movie takes this sudden turn from thumps in the basement, missing cell phones, and interrupted showers to watching a woman's fingers being snapped and a teenage boy being terrorized by a much larger and stronger man. The shift is jarring, but not in a good way. There is not motivation given AT ALL for this cruelty and the movie even shies away at the end from showing what was either a strangulation or a drowning of the boy. It's like it wants to go there, but won't actually commit to its own nastiness. It all kind of left a sour taste for me.

I get that the world can be a cruel, unpredictable place. But in a narrative structured primarily around character work, having a killer who isn't part of the cast and whose face we never even see just feels empty. I might feel differently if the writing had been a little stronger, or if the characters had grown more during the film.


I guess I would still recommend it, but for me this one lands in the pile of horror movies that just didn't stick the landing.


Finally got around to this one tonight so I've now read your spoilers and I'd say you've hit all the nails on their respective heads.
Once I saw the mom tied to the chair I thought "aw man, is this what we're doing now?" So I was really ticked when the finger thing happened. Not just because it's gross and I'm squeamish, but like you say it's way less interesting than what had been previously set up. And speaking of inexplicable character decisions--"I've removed your contact lenses! Everything is blurry now! Now run along so that I can catch up with you tomorrow and murder you in broad daylight in public! Mwahaha!" Those last 15 minutes are just a mess.
The landing was decidedly not stuck.
As I've said elsewhere, the concept of a stranger secretly hiding in my home is one that I'm inordinately concerned about, so this is another example of an intriguing premise that inspires me to imagine more interesting possibilities than those that are actually depicted on screen.
And I agree that the setup is well-done enough that I look forward to more from this writer/director team. Too bad about the end.

_________________
Captain's Log


Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
Strong Recommend:
Eyes of My Mother*


This this this this this!


Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:55 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

I second the The Eyes of My Mother recommendation. It's different, that's for sure and HIGHLY recommended.


Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Ok, actually just getting to Blackcoat's Daughter now, about 10 minutes in, but I'll try to get to Eyes Of My Mother this week.


Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Deschain wrote:
Sweet Home is a really well done but criminally underseen home invasion movie.

Wormwood is a fun and stylish Australian zombie flick.

I'm not much of a home-invasion guy. Except for
Ils
. That was the shit.

I have been interested in Wormwood for a while, just never got over that inertia.


Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:55 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Alright, so, The Shape Of Water...
I think that this was a good movie and would be a good entry in Del Toro's portfolio, better than Crimson Peak for sure, but maybe not quite at that Cronos/Devil's Backbone level.
I liked it, it was warm and had a lovely fantasy to it. It wasn't overdone at all, which, in some way, seemed to tie it back to those earlier movies and give them the recognition they were denied.
Certainly I thought the acting was like the blood of the film. Sally Hawkins is a marvel in this and ultimately carries much of the film. Richard Jenkins, as always, makes a contribution that is more than his part should probably be worth. To my surprise, Michael Shannon, whom I have liked but not loved in anything I've seen him in so far, stood out with a performance that showed that he had done the work to understand his character better than his character understood himself and that is real acting.
In the end, I'm not sure what to say. It was a lovely little film but I feel like maybe more was made of it than was due. While at the same time I have to say that it's nice when more is made of these kind of films.
Certainly, he has made The Creature From The Black Lagoon for our times and there is no point in Universal pursuing that any further.


Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:53 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

I saw A Quiet Place this morning and I guess I'll be on the outlier on this one. The film is certainly well acted and directed, though I thought it was a bit obvious with some of the foreshadowing of things to come. Alas I just couldn't get past the primary premise of them being so silent and careful long enough to survive.

Also they offered no explanation or even an attempt to explain the decision to get pregnant, which is going to produce little ball of random noise, and this occurs after they know about the whole silence thing as we jump from day 89 to day 472.


I've certainly suspended disbelief before to enjoy films but for whatever reason my brain wouldn't do so here. So while I wish I liked this movie more the problems above left me cold and detached from most of the characters caring little for what happened to them and that kind of hinders my enjoyment of most horror films. I guess I would have preferred more set up, see spoiler tag below, to help explain some things.

Something like go from Day 89 to Day 170, to Day 285, to insert day before 472. Just a chance to get to know more of their routine, how the loss of youngest one was affecting them over time, show how the girl was thinking everyone hated her, EXPLAIN THE DAMN PREGNANCY.


Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The Long Hair of Death begins and ends like a classic Italian gothic in the vein of Black Sunday, with Margheriti doing his best (and an admirable job at that) Bava impression. The middle sags and came dangerously close to putting me to sleep (not quite the movies fault as I was very tired but it didn't pull me out either), despite the occasional inspired shot and the hypnotizing odd beauty of Barbara Steele. A mild recommendation if you love Black Sunday.

I think it's fair to blame the movie for that. I love these things but they definitely have a narcotic effect on the viewer.

_________________
Captain's Log


Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Wooley wrote:
In the end, I'm not sure what to say. It was a lovely little film but I feel like maybe more was made of it than was due. While at the same time I have to say that it's nice when more is made of these kind of films.

I'm glad I saw this pre-Oscars because the "Best Picture" title would've sent my expectations higher than the movie could probably match.
But yeah, as a rule I don't believe in awards for the arts but if we must have them, the accolades couldn't go to a nicer guy and as a lifelong monster fan I can't help but enjoy the fact that a movie about a sexually active fish man actually got an Oscar.

_________________
Captain's Log


Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Captain Terror wrote:
I think it's fair to blame the movie for that. I love these things but they definitely have a narcotic effect on the viewer.

I agree. I have to be careful about when I watch pre-70s Italian horror. They're beautiful and for all their ghoulishness, there's something soothing about them. Aside from the occasional piercing piano hit, this one was particularly relaxing. The only horror that eclipses it in terms of relaxation is Kuroneko. That's like getting a massage on a rainy day. Too relaxing.


Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:31 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Captain Terror wrote:
Finally got around to this one tonight so I've now read your spoilers and I'd say you've hit all the nails on their respective heads.
Once I saw the mom tied to the chair I thought "aw man, is this what we're doing now?" So I was really ticked when the finger thing happened. Not just because it's gross and I'm squeamish, but like you say it's way less interesting than what had been previously set up. And speaking of inexplicable character decisions--"I've removed your contact lenses! Everything is blurry now! Now run along so that I can catch up with you tomorrow and murder you in broad daylight in public! Mwahaha!" Those last 15 minutes are just a mess.
The landing was decidedly not stuck.
As I've said elsewhere, the concept of a stranger secretly hiding in my home is one that I'm inordinately concerned about, so this is another example of an intriguing premise that inspires me to imagine more interesting possibilities than those that are actually depicted on screen.
And I agree that the setup is well-done enough that I look forward to more from this writer/director team. Too bad about the end.


While watching Open House did you ever start to suspect that
it was the dad in the house? That somehow he'd faked his own death? I mean--I don't know why he'd be creeping around the house, but with the son constantly listening to the song, the mom saying the dad left them "nothing", etc, I thought that was maybe where it was heading. (Even thematically you have the neighbor who sometimes thinks her dead husband is still alive).


The more I think about it, the less I like it. So many things that just don't make any sense. Such a blah ending.

Wooley wrote:
I have been interested in Wormwood for a while, just never got over that inertia.


Wyrmwood is flawed but really, really fun. I didn't list it because I was pretty sure you'd already seen it.


Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.