It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 33  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

I'm looking at, like, six movies called Mirror Mirror, which one are you guys talking about?

Mon May 28, 2018 1:46 am

Wooley wrote:
I'm looking at, like, six movies called Mirror Mirror, which one are you guys talking about?

1990 starring Karen Black and Rainbow Harvest

Mon May 28, 2018 1:49 am

Something like Carrie meets Taps, Clint Howard (looking like a prepubescent Matt Damon) is a bumbly dweeb at a religious military academy who uncovers (underneath RG Armstrong's drunken clutches) a secret Satanic black mass text for invoking the evil spirit of a 16th century exiled heretic.

Inexplicably designated a video nasty, the film isn't all that gruesome really. Some versions of the film are titled Computer Murder, to play up the then-exoticism of using an Apple II to perform the Latin translations. The attempt to use this feature to make some kind of "Satan Joshua" is a bit silly. 8 bits just isn't going to scare anybody. Not as much as Clint Howard's Will Hunting toupee anyway.

Mon May 28, 2018 5:50 am

Captain Terror wrote:
1990 starring Karen Black and Rainbow Harvest

Yvonne De Carlo!!!
Done, I'm watchin' it.

Mon May 28, 2018 6:23 am

Takoma1 wrote:

This one definitely deserves to be well-known. If anything, when I complain about the portrayal of women in horror or the way that they are filmed, this movie is a great demonstration of how you can have sex and nudity and even "bitchy" female characters but still treat them like human beings, and yet still have a movie that is suspenseful and violent. It's not an either/or proposition.

I did some digging at IMDB, reading the user reviews, and it seems to have its fans although there isn't much in the way of in-depth discussion. Lots of "this was awesome" and little more. This is one time I miss reading the IMDB threads. Anyhow, among those that liked it the consensus seems to be that Part 2 is a step down but still watchable, while 3 & 4 are often described as "soft-core" and are not very popular. A young and shirtless Mark Ruffalo seems to have made quite an impact on many viewers, however.

Looked up the director and this was her first and last feature. Her other credits amount to 2 TV movies and some work on TV series. One of those TV films was Child of Darkness, Child of Light which I definitely watched when it aired and I recall it being sort of a "thing" at the time, so maybe I'll check that one out. It's all over Youtube.

Mon May 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Looked up the director and this was her first and last feature. Her other credits amount to 2 TV movies and some work on TV series. One of those TV films was Child of Darkness, Child of Light which I definitely watched when it aired and I recall it being sort of a "thing" at the time, so maybe I'll check that one out. It's all over Youtube.

I do think that the movie is a bit stranded in terms of finding a good fan base. The character dynamics are really good, but the writing isn't amazing enough for it to blow people's minds about how to write women (or teens in general) in horror. And on the other extreme, it has one very memorable kill (in the locker room), but the others don't quite rise to the level where you'd recommend it FOR The kills. It's also got that very early-90s look that I just associate with underwhelming horror.

When movies have sequels of diminishing quality, I tend to skip them because they tend to color my opinion of the whole "universe".

Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

It's funny you say this, I know exactly what you mean.
Yet, what has happened for me over the years is this sort of weird separation of the original or original and maybe a top-sequel as being the actual "universe" and everything else being basically just using the trope.
For example, for me, there is literally only ONE A Nightmare On Elm Street movie and then there's just a bunch of stuff that various people decided to do with the character and concept. Freddy Krueger in ANOES is a very particular character and by the third film he's already kind of a caricature of that character, which trends into almost spoofery very quickly. Somehow none of those movies diminish my enjoyment of the original film.
Friday the 13th is the same for me. You have Part 2 where Jason is introduced and he is given very clear and specific qualities and he's just a fucking nightmare. In the 3rd one this is already being subverted in a much poorer film overall and in no time, the movies are just silly and the character is some kinda superhuman/supernatural/hell-spawn something or other. Yet none of that robs my enjoyment of the first Jason film.
See Hellraiser/Hellraiser 2 and then all the dreck that follows, Halloween/Halloween 2 and then 4-whatever, etc.

Tue May 29, 2018 2:09 am

Wooley wrote:
It's funny you say this, I know exactly what you mean.
Yet, what has happened for me over the years is this sort of weird separation of the original or original and maybe a top-sequel as being the actual "universe" and everything else being basically just using the trope.

See Hellraiser/Hellraiser 2 and then all the dreck that follows, Halloween/Halloween 2 and then 4-whatever, etc.

I know what you mean, and the thing is that I'm just really bad a compartmentalizing in this way.

The Hellraiser movies are a good example of loving the first two and I can actually enjoyably hate-watch the sequels. But most of the time (especially when the same protagonists or main actors are used), I really struggle.

Tue May 29, 2018 3:15 am

I'm somewhere in the middle. I've got Wooley's approach to sequels, but regarding prequels I'm closer to Takoma. At this point in my life, I've decided there's no such thing as Ewoks or Yoda, and Darth is nobody's father. I can watch Star Wars purely on its own terms and enjoy it without all the future baggage that was added to it. BUT I have to actively pretend that it's not Hayden Christensen under the mask dueling with Alec Guinness. For whatever reason prequels taint the original in a way that sequels don't (for me). This is why I am avoiding Solo. I do not want to see what the frickin' Kessel Run looked like, goldarnit!

Tue May 29, 2018 4:01 am

It's also why I've avoided Zombie's Halloween prequel. I like Zombie and I love Halloween, but having Myers' origin explained would ruin one of the greatest elements of the original, that being Pleasence's vague allusions to the atrocities he's committed.

Tue May 29, 2018 4:05 am

Captain Terror wrote:
It's also why I've avoided Zombie's Halloween prequel. I like Zombie and I love Halloween, but having Myers' origin explained would ruin one of the greatest elements of the original, that being Pleasence's vague allusions to the atrocities he's committed.

The first one is terrible, but the second one is more tolerable in that respect because it owns up to being nonsense as an origin story. (It's also purtier and otherwise better made.)

Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 am

Rock wrote:
The first one is terrible, but the second one is more tolerable in that respect because it owns up to being nonsense as an origin story. (It's also purtier and otherwise better made.)

I know that you qualified it with the phrase "in that respect," but "more tolerable" sounds like such tepid praise.

"No we should totally rent it. I hear it's more tolerable than the first one!"

Tue May 29, 2018 10:31 am

I like both Zombie Halloween films, even though they are messy. Without him the series would have been DOA.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue May 29, 2018 3:54 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I'm somewhere in the middle. I've got Wooley's approach to sequels, but regarding prequels I'm closer to Takoma. At this point in my life, I've decided there's no such thing as Ewoks or Yoda, and Darth is nobody's father. I can watch Star Wars purely on its own terms and enjoy it without all the future baggage that was added to it. BUT I have to actively pretend that it's not Hayden Christensen under the mask dueling with Alec Guinness. For whatever reason prequels taint the original in a way that sequels don't (for me). This is why I am avoiding Solo. I do not want to see what the frickin' Kessel Run looked like, goldarnit!

I am lucky, somehow my brain has managed to basically cut out the SW Prequels. I don't consider anything that happened in them to really be a part of the OT in any way and I don't think I ever think about them at all when I watch the OT. The Prequels are like fan-fiction to me.

Tue May 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

Yeah, I think people probably remember that I REALLY like Zombie's Halloween II, but even I can't and won't defend his Halloween, especially the Zombie-splaining of why Michael is Michael. I really don't think about it, even if I watch his second film.

Tue May 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Death Proof wrote:
The Ritual (2017)

The Descent meets The Hills Have Eyes meets Alien. Four college friends go on a hike in Northern Sweden, only to encounter an apparent forest entity that wants to pick them off one by one.

Places where you never should go hiking:

1. Maine
2. West Virginia
3. Northern fucking Sweden

The cinematography and atmosphere are stunning. Some amazing shots of the region. The dialogue feels natural among the group of college buddies.

The creature design is amazing. Definitely one of the best monster creations for the last ten years, along with the creature from Neill Blomkamp's Zygote, Joon Ho Bong's The Host, Troll Hunter, and pretty much anything Guillermo del Toro has ever done.

There's a couple of good jump scares and plenty of suspense.

9/10

Thank you Mr Death Proof for calling my attention to this one. Watched it last night and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm a sucker for monster-in-the-woods movies so this was right up my alley.
I will now discuss the end of the film. Don't read this:
While I get what the film was doing there, I wasn't totally on board. Sometimes I just want the monster to be a monster. Still loved it, but that's the one element that sort of let me down.

I agree about the cinematography. I even wondered if some of the shots were real or CG because they were so lovely. Lots of creepy images (the effigy-thing in the house, those "things" suspended in the trees (wink), etc.). Good stuff. I hereby second DP's endorsement.

Tue May 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

Thank you Mr Death Proof for calling my attention to this one. Watched it last night and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm a sucker for monster-in-the-woods movies so this was right up my alley.
I will now discuss the end of the film. Don't read this:
While I get what the film was doing there, I wasn't totally on board. Sometimes I just want the monster to be a monster. Still loved it, but that's the one element that sort of let me down.

I agree about the cinematography. I even wondered if some of the shots were real or CG because they were so lovely. Lots of creepy images (the effigy-thing in the house, those "things" suspended in the trees (wink), etc.). Good stuff. I hereby second DP's endorsement.

Is this the one with the guy who's lost his family and some alarm clocks?

Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 pm

Wooley wrote:

Is this the one with the guy who's lost his family and some alarm clocks?

No this is four British bros who go hiking in Sweden. From 2017, on Netflix.

Wed May 30, 2018 12:40 am

Captain Terror wrote:
No this is four British bros who go hiking in Sweden. From 2017, on Netflix.

Huh, I didn't find this one. I'll keep digging.

Edit: Wait, found it. Realized I was searching iTunes, not the whole internet.

Wed May 30, 2018 4:11 am

Today I made a public library only list for part of my 2018 Horrorfest. Here is what caught my eye (all first time viewings):

1. The Amityville Horror (1979)
2. The Cell (1998)
3. The Collector (1965)
4. Don't Breathe (2016)
5. The Gate (1987)
6. The Green Inferno (2016)
7. Hangover Square (1945)
8. The Hitcher (2007)
9. Insidious Chapter 2 (2013)
10. The Mouthman Prophecies (2001)
11. The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, I think people probably remember that I REALLY like Zombie's Halloween II, but even I can't and won't defend his Halloween, especially the Zombie-splaining of why Michael is Michael. I really don't think about it, even if I watch his second film.

I'll jump on the defense boat for H2. It does not stick it's landing but it's pretty fascinating in air.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:36 am

MadMan wrote:
Today I made a public library only list for part of my 2018 Horrorfest. Here is what caught my eye (all first time viewings):

2. The Cell (1998)
3. The Collector (1965)
4. Don't Breathe (2016)
5. The Gate (1987)
8. The Hitcher (2007)

I really like The Cell and The Gate.

I have very mixed feelings about The Collector (I've read the book and seen the movie), as it ventures into that territory of painting women who are victims of crimes as being manipulative and maybe even partly deserving of what happens to them (this is more in the book than the movie).

I quite liked Witches of Eastwick when I was like 13 or 14, but when I was older I rewatched it and the magic was not there. Don't Breathe is okay, but had some elements that I didn't care for that would be hard to discuss without major spoilers.

The remake of The Hitcher is kind of bland. Not actively bland, just not very noteworthy.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:03 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I'll jump on the defense boat for H2. It does not stick it's landing but it's pretty fascinating in air.

It's a mess. But it is a mess in a mostly good way. Not that it is a movie I have much interest in revisiting, but considering how inexcusably shitty Zombies first Halloween was, the fact that it is as interesting as it is was more than a surprise. A good example how artists can still succeed (or at least not fail) as long as they refuse to buckle to reflexive cliche.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:06 am

MadMan wrote:

2. The Cell (1998)
3. The Collector (1965)
4. Don't Breathe (2016)
5. The Gate (1987)
8. The Hitcher (2007)

Not that I'm any metric of quality, but The Gate and Mothman Prophecies are the only horror films of interest to me here (Witches of Eastwick isn't really a horror, but is good fun for whatever it is)

I won't bother touting Amityville since I'm probably the only person here who actively likes it and doesn't think it's a colossal bore.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:10 am

crumbsroom wrote:

It's a mess. But it is a mess in a mostly good way. Not that it is a movie I have much interest in revisiting, but considering how inexcusably shitty Zombies first Halloween was, the fact that it is as interesting as it is was more than a surprise. A good example how artists can still succeed (or at least not fail) as long as they refuse to buckle to reflexive cliche.

I thought the Ken Russell/Jodorowsky approach to Michael's perception was a genius choice in making the film ACTUALLY about the psychology of the character rather than the bullshit of the first, which was almost entirely through Loomis. The fact that it matched this with the PTSD of Laurie really worked for me. If it had a stronger final act, I may love it.

But man, it's sad that it's tethered to the crappy first film that is only notable for missing the point entirely.

Have you seen Lords of Salem?

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:27 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Well-put.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:38 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I thought the Ken Russell/Jodorowsky approach to Michael's perception was a genius choice in making the film ACTUALLY about the psychology of the character rather than the bullshit of the first, which was almost entirely through Loomis. The fact that it matched this with the PTSD of Laurie really worked for me. If it had a stronger final act, I may love it.

But man, it's sad that it's tethered to the crappy first film that is only notable for missing the point entirely.

I felt like Lords Of Salem suffered from the lack of a budget. Really seemed like they tried pretty hard but just didn't have enough money to make it quite work. Also, some of the addiction stuff maybe didn't come out as well as he intended.
By the way, I've never really understood all the hate for Sheri. I've never necessarily felt she was Meryl Streep, but she never distracted me from a movie, she has the right look for the way he uses her, and I thought she was perfect for Ho1kC.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:44 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

The approach of the film is always interesting. The quality of it varies though.

I have seen Lords of Salem, and liked it. Which is impressive, because I should have hated it.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:54 am

Wooley wrote:
I felt like Lords Of Salem suffered from the lack of a budget. Really seemed like they tried pretty hard but just didn't have enough money to make it quite work. Also, some of the addiction stuff maybe didn't come out as well as he intended.
By the way, I've never really understood all the hate for Sheri. I've never necessarily felt she was Meryl Streep, but she never distracted me from a movie, she has the right look for the way he uses her, and I thought she was perfect for Ho1kC.

I thought it worked with the budget. In the same way Lair of the White Worm works despite some disastrously awful early green screen, it adds to the delirious quality of the flick. I think a lot of people find the character Baby annoying and judge her by that and that she's only in her husband's films. However, I think she won me over as an actress in Lords and, shockingly, Halloween, in which she gave a grounded, human performance. I don't think she's more than serviceable but she doesn't bug me.

Then again, I may have low standards because I usually am not particularly harsh on acting unless it's Carano bad.

Crummy, why should you have hated it?

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I always think I'll hate the new Rob Zombie movie. Sometimes he surprises me.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:36 am

Wooley wrote:

I thought I made it clear that I don't want to watch these. Not helping!!
(Can I enjoy II without watching I?)

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:53 am

Captain Terror wrote:

I'd say so.

Crummy, what are his other surprises?

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:56 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Absolutely.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 am

Also, while I like Lords of Salem just fine, I think Zombie's direction falls short of pulling off the trance-like purely visual filmmaking he's t going for. Sheri Moon is also fine (so fine...sorry), but she's usually outclassed by her much stronger co-stars (Davison in this, Haig and Moseley in House and Rejects).

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:02 am

Rock wrote:
Also, while I like Lords of Salem just fine, I think Zombie's direction falls short of pulling off the trance-like purely visual filmmaking he's t going for. Sheri Moon is also fine (so fine...sorry), but she's usually outclassed by her much stronger co-stars (Davison in this, Haig and Moseley in House and Rejects).

Now that I agree with. While I liked seeing her so far away from the Baby character, I think with a stronger actress, it would be more appreciated as her co-stars are often heavy hitters.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:13 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I thought it worked with the budget. In the same way Lair of the White Worm works despite some disastrously awful early green screen, it adds to the delirious quality of the flick. I think a lot of people find the character Baby annoying and judge her by that and that she's only in her husband's films. However, I think she won me over as an actress in Lords and, shockingly, Halloween, in which she gave a grounded, human performance. I don't think she's more than serviceable but she doesn't bug me.

Then again, I may have low standards because I usually am not particularly harsh on acting unless it's Carano bad.

I agree with you on her other performances, but my favorite performance of hers will always be Baby.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

Yeah, I think you can, sure. All you need to know is that Sheri was his mom, she was of ill-repute, and really the event-horizon of his break into madness was over her and how she loved him and he adored her despite everyone else saying she was trash. Laurie Strode, her friends, and her parents did not do well, but Laurie and Annie have survived. Dr. Loomis is actually an opportunistic piece of shit who has built a sort of career exploiting his history with Michael. You are now ready for Halloween II. Surprisingly, not much of that is really spoilers of the first movie.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:28 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I always think I'll hate the new Rob Zombie movie. Sometimes he surprises me.

Thoughts on 31?

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, I think you can, sure. All you need to know is that Sheri was his mom, she was of ill-repute, and really the event-horizon of his break into madness was over her and how she loved him and he adored her despite everyone else saying she was trash. Laurie Strode, her friends, and her parents did not do well, but Laurie and Annie have survived. Dr. Loomis is actually an opportunistic piece of shit who has built a sort of career exploiting his history with Michael. You are now ready for Halloween II. Surprisingly, not much of that is really spoilers of the first movie.

And because it’s a Rob Zombie movie everyone has long scraggly hair and looks like white trash dspite living in an upper middle clsss suburb.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:14 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I am a legitimate fan of Devil's Rejects. I feel he is actually making something interesting with his influences here, instead of just piling them up and allowing the sleaze alone to do the talking for him. Because of a couple of scenes which were a little too hairy for me, I don't see myself going back to watch this one again very much, but it left a strong impression, nonetheless.

Halloween 2 works as surrealism via exploitation. The part of the movie that always sinks it for me though is I hate his dialogue here. I really wish he'd rise above the rebellious teenage nihilism thing that is always embarrassing when it is coming from someone who isn't fourteen years old.

Lords of Salem is just a decent modern horror film. It gets more right than it gets wrong.

I haven't liked anything else I've seen from him (the first Halloween, 1000 Corpses). I really hate those two passionately

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:01 am

Wooley wrote:
Thoughts on 31?

Haven't seen it. That one just kind of completely slipped past my radar and I always am forgetting it even exists.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:02 am

Really enjoyed The Final Terror. Surprised it doesn't get more respect.
Campground horror-flick meets Deliverance, nice and gritty like those very early 80s horrors can be, infinitely more competent than some others of the genre (looking at you, The Prowler), and all pulled together on a very low budget without a distributor. Only complaint would be that it ends so abruptly, we should have gotten a little time to digest what seemed to be, in the moment, a real shock for the characters. Otherwise, I thought this was a nice little flick.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:19 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I am a legitimate fan of Devil's Rejects. I feel he is actually making something interesting with his influences here, instead of just piling them up and allowing the sleaze alone to do the talking for him. Because of a couple of scenes which were a little too hairy for me, I don't see myself going back to watch this one again very much, but it left a strong impression, nonetheless.

Halloween 2 works as surrealism via exploitation. The part of the movie that always sinks it for me though is I hate his dialogue here. I really wish he'd rise above the rebellious teenage nihilism thing that is always embarrassing when it is coming from someone who isn't fourteen years old.

Lords of Salem is just a decent modern horror film. It gets more right than it gets wrong.

I haven't liked anything else I've seen from him (the first Halloween, 1000 Corpses). I really hate those two passionately

I think we're more or less in the same boat but I'd be up an octave. Change hate to dislike and legitimate fan to love. But I'm right with you on his dialogue. It reads like trashy, horror Kevin Smith writing, which has become unbearable in his recent films.

I mostly liked 31 for the record. The only real draw backs are that it's over edited and once again, the dialogue. I HATE the Haunted World of El Superbeasto.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:02 am

I've never had an interest in watching any of his films. To me, they give off a vibe and the only way I can describe it is that it's the same instinctive "NO" reaction that makes me cross the street when I see a sketchy guy coming toward me. I didn't even really like looking at the covers when I worked at the video store. Given how little I know of these movies (a handful of trailers and the DVD covers), I find this strong aversion interesting and a bit confusing. And yet I never have the desire to watch any of them to see if my disdain is merited.

Last night I watched a South African movie, Hunting Emma, that turned out to be more of an action/thriller than a horror. A woman witnesses a murder and is then hunted through the desert by the murderers. If anything, the movie was good for a laugh, especially the way-too-on-the-nose dialogue. "Be careful," her father warns her, "The world is full of evil people." Then five minutes later Emma argues with her boyfriend via text message about how much she hates violence.

The main character is a pacifist, which could be an interesting take on the crime-revenge movie, but there's nothing very good done with this angle. (There is one nice moment where Emma begs one of the men to just leave because she doesn't want to have to hurt him, but that's about it). The film also seems to confuse "pacifist/gentle spirit" with "dumb as a rock". Emma at one point goes to help a turtle off the road. Okay, cool. I have also done this many times. But she's like "Hey fella" and thrusts her hand right at the turtle's face. Later, she hears gunshots and runs toward them. She several times tries to get a look at her pursuers by standing atop tall rocks for long periods of time, then acting surprised when they see her . . . . standing on a rock . . . in the middle of a desert.

Ultimately neither the main character nor the villains are all that interesting. I'd recommend this one if it pops up free on Netflix or Amazon, but it's not quite worth the rental.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:33 am

Wooley wrote:

Sounds good, thanks. Like I said I'm a (minor) Zombie fan so the completist in me was always bugged that I hadn't seen these, so it was probably a matter of time anyway. I'll give II a shot some time and decide on I later.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:53 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I've never had an interest in watching any of his films. To me, they give off a vibe and the only way I can describe it is that it's the same instinctive "NO" reaction that makes me cross the street when I see a sketchy guy coming toward me. I didn't even really like looking at the covers when I worked at the video store. Given how little I know of these movies (a handful of trailers and the DVD covers), I find this strong aversion interesting and a bit confusing. And yet I never have the desire to watch any of them to see if my disdain is merited.

It's hard to call how you'd feel about it. You seem to shy away from cruelty and there are some sexual assaults in a few of his movies that I think you'd find irredeemably revolting and likely put you off in the exact way you already are. However, not ALL of his films are quite as harsh as the Devil's Rejects (which is his best film as well but not for the faint of heart). I think Lords of Salem would be a good film to dip your toes into for him. It showcases many of his strengths, is distinctly him and isn't as vile as some of his other work. Depending on how you feel there would be whether you should risk digging deeper.

I think Zombie's films are usually made worthwhile by his unflinching love for exploitation cinema and his ability to pull great performances from staples from the grindhouse era as well as a penchant for vibrant visuals and an extremely dark sense of humor. He could be described as some kind of hodgepodge of Tobe Hooper, Wes Craven, Harmony Korine and Ken Russell but even so, he seems to have a truly unique voice in the genre. You can't watch a Zombie film and confuse it for anyone else.

He just also has some baffling dialogue that sounds like a 12 year old that just learned the F word and pushes into unpleasant territory far too often, though that may help them feel like true exploitation cinema rather than a tongue in cheek homage.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:45 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sounds good, thanks. Like I said I'm a (minor) Zombie fan so the completist in me was always bugged that I hadn't seen these, so it was probably a matter of time anyway. I'll give II a shot some time and decide on I later.

I think you should at least be 18 to watch a Zombie film.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:46 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

It's hard to call how you'd feel about it. You seem to shy away from cruelty and there are some sexual assaults in a few of his movies that I think you'd find irredeemably revolting and likely put you off in the exact way you already are.
isn't as vile as some of his other work.
unflinching love for exploitation cinema
He just also has some baffling dialogue that sounds like a 12 year old that just learned the F word and pushes into unpleasant territory far too often, though that may help them feel like true exploitation cinema rather than a tongue in cheek homage.

This is a good example of how even-handed assessments of him--even and especially by people who like his work--usually do more to make me avoid him than entice me to watch him. (I know you're not trying to sell me on him, I'm just highlighting the things you said that I feel like I've heard often about him).

It's interesting that you recommend Lords of Salem, because that's his only film I've ever found myself interested in (and almost rented off of Amazon a while back). I don't know--grunge horror just isn't really my thing. I don't find anything personally redeeming in it.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:57 am

Takoma1 wrote:
It's interesting that you recommend Lords of Salem, because that's his only film I've ever found myself interested in (and almost rented off of Amazon a while back). I don't know--grunge horror just isn't really my thing. I don't find anything personally redeeming in it.

If most of his career has been emulating the grunge of TX Chainsaw, etc, Lords of Salem feels like his attempt at Suspiria-esque Italian horror, so he kind of classes it up a bit. (which is a funny thing to say given some of the stuff that goes down, but still)
It's the only Zombie film I feel the need to add to my collection and it was responsible for my favorite witchcraft imagery of the past 20 years before The Witch took that crown. So you're certainly within your rights to avoid him, but if you must, Lords of Salem would be a good one to try. I admire his grungier efforts too, but that's not exactly my thing either so it's sort of a "like but not love" situation.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:40 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I think Zombie's films are usually made worthwhile by his unflinching love for exploitation cinema and his ability to pull great performances from staples from the grindhouse era as well as a penchant for vibrant visuals and an extremely dark sense of humor.

This is why I feel like he would've been a better fit for a Chainsaw remake instead of Halloween. There's no redneck/grunge element to Carpenter's original, which is another reason I've avoided Zombie's. And it's why I'm annoyed that yall are gonna make me watch this SOB. :)

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 33  Next