It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Takoma1 wrote:
The last two nights my late-night viewing has been the movie Sand, which is on Amazon Prime. I thought it would be total junk. It's clearly going for a B-movie vibe, but I actually thought it was pretty good. There were some nasty gore effects, some genuinely tense sequences, and the comic relief (a large man trapped in a trash can for the entire film) was actually funny.

I also liked that there was a degree of unpredictability as to who would survive most of the film.

This is not the movie The Sand, with the killer sand, right?

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:51 am

Takoma1 wrote:

You'll want the 2015 version. And I say "want" in the loosest sense of the word.

Oh lord, it is.
You are out of your fucking mind, Tak.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:52 am

An outstanding horror film from Poland which raises a couple of questions, the predominant one being why no one has had the idea (obvious in hindsight, it seems) to center a horror film around the anxieties of a wedding before. There's so much material to mine from the conceit, from the inherent noxious pressures of commitment to the barely concealed skeletons in the extended families' closets. Set in Poland, the film also adds some political layers of the ethnic tension stemming from the perpetual tug of war between German and Russian influences. In a sharp twist, the film even manages to mirror a story of demonic possession with a theme of ethnic dispossession.

More than that, the film is effective. The soundtrack makes use of Krzysztof Penderecki, Poland's premier avant-garde composer whose sharp, prickly textures are a perfect complement (Kubrick made liberal use of Penderecki for his Shining soundtrack). There's also some eerie extracurricular aspects - writer/director Marcin Wrona would hang himself days after the film's Toronto premiere, and the film was targeted on IMDb by troll downvotes (likely related to the film's controversial reference to the current Polish-Israeli tensions over Holocaust complicity).

The film itself is chilly, intelligent and powerful, and you should watch it.

8.5/10

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:16 am

Wooley wrote:
Oh lord, it is.
You are out of your fucking mind, Tak.

I think I was pretty clear as to why I "enjoyed" this film. Also, sometimes it's the simple things that work: like a big guy, trapped in a trash can, with a penis drawn on his face. Don't judge me!

Jinnistan wrote:

An outstanding horror film from Poland which raises a couple of questions, the predominant one being why no one has had the idea (obvious in hindsight, it seems) to center a horror film around the anxieties of a wedding before. There's so much material to mine from the conceit, from the inherent noxious pressures of commitment to the barely concealed skeletons in the extended families' closets. Set in Poland, the film also adds some political layers of the ethnic tension stemming from the perpetual tug of war between German and Russian influences. In a sharp twist, the film even manages to mirror a story of demonic possession with a theme of ethnic dispossession.

Yes, I watched this one a month or two ago and also strongly recommended it. I was very sad to learn that the director took his own life shortly after the film's release, in part because he was disappointed in what he saw as its lack of success. It's a unique and fascinating film.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:23 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I think I was pretty clear as to why I "enjoyed" this film. Also, sometimes it's the simple things that work: like a big guy, trapped in a trash can, with a penis drawn on his face. Don't judge me!

I've seen it. And I'm a'judgin'.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Don't know if every regular in the 'Cram here reads all of the other threads on this forum, but just in case anyone here doesn't, I felt like sharing this post I made recently in my New Hollywood thread about the original Night Of The Living Dead, and its overall impact on the movement, and cinema as a whole.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 pm

John Carpenter is doing the soundtrack to the new Halloween film. Don't know if this has been mentioned.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:41 pm

So given our discussion of Cloverfield in the other thread, it's a fun coincidence that the disc I got from Netflix was The Tunnel, a found footage Australian horror.

Generally speaking, I strongly dislike found footage. Too often it feels like a way for filmmakers to cut corners, and at the same time there's often a horrible artificiality to the way that, conveniently, panicked people manage to capture the perfect shot.

The Tunnel may actually be my favorite found footage film that I've seen. It is shot in the style of a documentary, with 90% of the footage coming from cameras wielded by the characters.

The film follows Natasha, a journalist who becomes suspicious when government plans to create a water recycling facility in disused train tunnels is suddenly and quietly abandoned. Natasha takes her fellow journalist Steve, cameraman Pete, and sound man Tangles into the tunnels without the knowledge or permission of the government. Once in the tunnels, strange things begin to happen and the four realize the are not alone in the tunnel.

The film does two things that place it several steps above most found footage that I've watched. To begin with, the film offers an incredibly reasonable rationale for why this is all being filmed. In the beginning, the group is actually filming a story and in a cut interview, Steve reveals that he decided to film everything because he was worried they would get in trouble and he wanted it to be clear that Natasha was to blame for the trespassing. Later, their flashlights stolen, the group uses one camera for its light and the other camera for its night-vision capabilities.

Second, the film offers probably the most realistic use of "real" cameras that I've seen. When it makes sense for the characters to put the camera down, they put the camera down. Sometimes the camera is pointed at the action, other times the action is partly in frame, and sometimes we simply find ourselves looking at a wall or a patch of dirt. None of this "my friend is being axe murdered, and yet I'm still holding my iPhone to perfectly capture the moment" business.

The story itself is pretty good and scary. It made me think of a mix of Creep (the Franka Potente one, not the Duplas one) and Blair Witch Project. The performances are all pretty good. The first 15 minutes or so didn't totally draw me in, but I have to confess that I was assembling a shopvac at the time. But once they were into the tunnels, it was pretty compelling. The format of the fake documentary did remind me of Lake Mungo, and that film was a bit more successful at making its characters and overall editing feel like a real documentary. Overall, though, I'm glad I checked this one out.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 am

Yeah The Tunnel is not bad.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:25 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Yeah The Tunnel is not bad.

I'm glad I didn't know about it's found footage style before watching it, because that probably would have dissuaded me from watching it.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am

47 Meters Down was basically how I imagine things would go if I went scuba diving: something goes wrong, somehow there's a dead body, and stab myself in the hand with a spear-gun.

Overall I liked it, and thought that it did a pretty good job with the relationship between the two sisters. These days I feel like shark movies are just 80 minutes of jump scares, so I liked that they had the character element to break up those scenes.

I also really liked the way that the film dealt with the uncertainty of the motives of the men up in the boat. The part where
they think that the guys in the boat have simply left them is really upsetting, and because the film restricts us to their point of view, it adds a great element of tension.

I also appreciated that they always had a legit reason to leave the cage. It was never like "I'm going to go foraging!!!"--it was about getting oxygen or trying to reach the boat by radio, etc.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:04 pm

The tunnel is brilliant. I love that the filmmakers were bold enough to distribute the torrent legally and say pay if you want to. A real shame that there hasn't been any feature length from the director since.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 am

So i ummm... watched that Hereditary last night

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 am

Jinnistan wrote:

The film itself is chilly, intelligent and powerful, and you should watch it.

8.5/10

Yoink ;)

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:38 am

Rump wrote:
So i ummm... watched that Hereditary last night

Yeah, that's about right.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 am

Holy fuck, they’re remaking Pumpkinhead.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 am

Wooley wrote:

I love Pumpkinhead and interesting explorations of revenge dynamics and thus I chose to remain optimistic.

I posted about this over in the television thread, but I'm about 3 1/2 episodes in to In the Flesh and I can't speak highly enough of what I've seen so far. It's funny and dramatic and it weaves a lot of complex ideas (homophobia, guilt, suicide, redemption, forgiveness, xenophobia, religious extremism, family dynamics, etc) in as both text and subtext. I think that the performances are really good, and it has an element to a character that is normally handled pretty horribly in a lot of shows and is done really well and with compassion here (obviously being vague to avoid spoilers).

It's free to watch on Amazon Prime and the whole show is only 9 episodes.

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:17 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I love Pumpkinhead and interesting explorations of revenge dynamics and thus I chose to remain optimistic.

I also love Pumpkinhead, and the producer is saying the right things, "We have to find a director that understands what the movie is about, is your revenge worth the cost" and "Practical effects will play a big role", but I still just... I worry.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:33 am

Wooley wrote:
I also love Pumpkinhead, and the producer is saying the right things, "We have to find a director that understands what the movie is about, is your revenge worth the cost" and "Practical effects will play a big role", but I still just... I worry.

I will never forget watching Pumpkinhead with a friend and in that sequence in the beginning she was like "Oh, no! Is the dog going to get hit by the car?!" and I was like :shifty:

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:45 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I will never forget watching Pumpkinhead with a friend and in that sequence in the beginning she was like "Oh, no! Is the dog going to get hit by the car?!" and I was like :shifty:

I know. I mean, ol' Lance really made me heartbroken over his kid, and really that's the key to this whole movie. That has to work or the movie doesn't work.
Now, additionally, they got a lot of other things right, too, most obviously, the monster is magnificent, and then right behind him, the witch is great, I can't see how they're gonna do as well with her, and then the way the locals act toward what's going on as if, yes there is evil shit afoot, but evil shit is a part of the world, you city-folk are just too busy with city-shit to know it. But you're about to.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 am

Wooley wrote:
I know. I mean, ol' Lance really made me heartbroken over his kid, and really that's the key to this whole movie. That has to work or the movie doesn't work.
Now, additionally, they got a lot of other things right, too, most obviously, the monster is magnificent, and then right behind him, the witch is great, I can't see how they're gonna do as well with her, and then the way the locals act toward what's going on as if, yes there is evil shit afoot, but evil shit is a part of the world, you city-folk are just too busy with city-shit to know it. But you're about to.

I think that what I love most about Pumpkinhead is that it has sympathy for both sides of the equation. We feel for Lance in his grief, and doubly so as we realize that the price of revenge is him losing his humanity. But on the other hand, the teens aren't just cruel, dumb, disposable characters. They feel bad for what happened. Toward the end, the "worst" of them offers himself up if it will save the others. It's a movie that doesn't take the easy way out with any of its characters.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:38 am

I just saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in IMAX. I’m posting this here because I had a similar experience with seeing the Shining in theaters in that the theatrical experience of both opened up my eyes (er. Ears) to the overwhelming manner in which Kubrick mixes his scores, which causes them to make otherwise benign scenes seem unnerving, foreboding and generally unpleasant. It’s of no surprise that films have replicated the wailing sounds that accompany the monolith in various horror films, most recently the Witch. The film is positively harrowing at times and with the juxtaposition of silence and the sterility in which death is shown, the film is a great deal more unnerving than a great many horror films. I’ve never considered the film to have those elements in a strong enough fashion until now. I wouldn’t fight anyone calling this a horror/sci-fi at this point and it certainly feels the most parallel to The Shining, with HAL and Jack operating in very similar fashions.

Also, hot damn is it technically mind blowing and visually arresting.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I just saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in IMAX. I’m posting this here because I had a similar experience with seeing the Shining in theaters in that the theatrical experience of both opened up my eyes (er. Ears) to the overwhelming manner in which Kubrick mixes his scores, which causes them to make otherwise benign scenes seem unnerving, foreboding and generally unpleasant. It’s of no surprise that films have replicated the wailing sounds that accompany the monolith in various horror films, most recently the Witch. The film is positively harrowing at times and with the juxtaposition of silence and the sterility in which death is shown, the film is a great deal more unnerving than a great many horror films. I’ve never considered the film to have those elements in a strong enough fashion until now. I wouldn’t fight anyone calling this a horror/sci-fi at this point and it certainly feels the most parallel to The Shining, with HAL and Jack operating in very similar fashions.

2001 is the shit.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I think that what I love most about Pumpkinhead is that it has sympathy for both sides of the equation. We feel for Lance in his grief, and doubly so as we realize that the price of revenge is him losing his humanity. But on the other hand, the teens aren't just cruel, dumb, disposable characters. They feel bad for what happened. Toward the end, the "worst" of them offers himself up if it will save the others. It's a movie that doesn't take the easy way out with any of its characters.

Oh man, I forgot that, you are absolutely right, that's WAY up in what makes the movie so great is that other than that one fuck-ass, who has a purpose (to help define the humanity of the others), they are actually decent kids who just had an accident and they don't really deserve this. That's such an important aspect of the movie.
Cheers.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:17 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Yeah, I mean, what can anyone say, it is really a unique piece of cinematic history. There's nothing quite like it.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Wooley wrote:

Unless they got Bill Oberst Jr. in for Lance Henrikson, that'll be a pass.

This has the feel of a bad decision.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:47 am

Hey, what the hell happened to Robert Eggers' Nosferatu?
I mean, as recently as March, that movie was a go, already had cast, now I'm seeing a different Nosferatu film coming out this year and can't find anything about Eggers' (it's not even on his IMDB page).
Anybody know? If anyone's gonna touch that movie, I'm for the guy who made The Witch.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:22 am

Wooley wrote:
I mean, as recently as March, that movie was a go, already had cast, now I'm seeing a different Nosferatu film coming out this year and can't find anything about Eggers' (it's not even on his IMDB page).
Anybody know? If anyone's gonna touch that movie, I'm for the guy who made The Witch.

It's on hold apparently. Anya Taylor-Joy last commented on it this past spring, saying she still hopes to get it done. Eggars' recently wrapped film The Lighthouse looks good, probably releases next year, and it looks like he's working on a Rasputin TV series.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

So fucking jealous of you right now, man; if I had the motivation, I'd drive to Memphis soon to check out the 50th anniversary special screenings there, but I'll probably be too lazy after work to deal with that...

:(

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:02 am

Wooley wrote:

Hmm...I knew that his lighthouse movie had jumped ahead of his Nosferatu, but I wasn't aware of another Nosferatu on the way. I'll have to look into this.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:11 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Hmm...I knew that his lighthouse movie had jumped ahead of his Nosferatu, but I wasn't aware of another Nosferatu on the way. I'll have to look into this.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5574078/

I'm worried that if this movie gets some play, Eggers will lose support for his version. Then again, Doug Jones!

Edit: Oh wait, this isn't actually like a theatrical-release kinda film apparently. Wonder what Jones is doing in it. I saw that he played Cesare in this director's "remix" of Calgari, but he's come a long way since then.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:28 am

Wooley wrote:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5574078/

I'm worried that if this movie gets some play, Eggers will lose support for his version. Then again, Doug Jones!

Edit: Oh wait, this isn't actually like a theatrical-release kinda film apparently. Wonder what Jones is doing in it. I saw that he played Cesare in this director's "remix" of Calgari, but he's come a long way since then.

Ah, that explains it. Eggers' version should be safe then.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:03 am

http://collider.com/the-haunting-of-hill-house-netflix-images/#carla-gugino

Netflix has revealed the first images and a release date for the upcoming horror series The Haunting of Hill House. The 10-episode series hails from filmmaker Mike Flanagan, whose credits include Oculus, Gerald’s Game, and Ouija: Origin of Evil and who serves as creator, director, and executive producer of this new series.

Big fan of the Jackson story and the Wise film. I immediately scoffed at the headline until I read Flanagan's name. Looking forward to this.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 am

Stu wrote:
So fucking jealous of you right now, man; if I had the motivation, I'd drive to Memphis soon to check out the 50th anniversary special screenings there, but I'll probably be too lazy after work to deal with that...

:(

Do it, man. I don't know when the opportunity to see this IMAX will happen again. It's every bit as wonderful as it seemed

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:52 am

I saw a 70mm print a few years ago, and while I sat a bit too far back to get the most of the image (the screen wasn't super huge compared to the size of the theatre), my biggest takeaway was also the use of sound, particularly the way it layers various repeating sounds to almost unbearable intensity and then cuts them out to create tension.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:20 am

Captain Terror wrote:
http://collider.com/the-haunting-of-hill-house-netflix-images/#carla-gugino

Netflix has revealed the first images and a release date for the upcoming horror series The Haunting of Hill House. The 10-episode series hails from filmmaker Mike Flanagan, whose credits include Oculus, Gerald’s Game, and Ouija: Origin of Evil and who serves as creator, director, and executive producer of this new series.

Big fan of the Jackson story and the Wise film. I immediately scoffed at the headline until I read Flanagan's name. Looking forward to this.

I'm down, also a fan of both.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm cheesed off since it has nothing to do with the original story.

If you want to tell a new story, tell it. Don't waste my time with this reinvention bullshit so you can glide in on the goodwill of my respect for Jackson and Wise.

I'm sure I'll feel better in the morning.

Or 20 minutes from now.

It's just a show, and we're all going to be car battling for water in 30 years.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:39 pm

American remake of Train To Busan? Hm.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Also, is Starry Eyes actually good?

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Wooley wrote:

I liked it.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:18 pm

DaMU wrote:
I'm cheesed off since it has nothing to do with the original story.

If you want to tell a new story, tell it. Don't waste my time with this reinvention bullshit so you can glide in on the goodwill of my respect for Jackson and Wise.

I agree that using the Hill House "brand" is unnecessary at best and cheap at worst, but I'm mostly excited that Flanagan is making a haunted house series.
Any attempt at a remake would be doomed to fail in my eyes, so I'm glad they're not trying.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Gah... How do you find your old password?

I swear i've tried all the ones i know :(

....Oh and i'm now downloading The Sand ;)

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:01 am

Rumpled wrote:

I had a similar problem. I was pretty sure I was putting in the right password but it wouldn’t sign me in, and there’s no retrieval or resetting system as far as I can tell.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:57 am

Rumpled wrote:

You won't be sorry. I mean, you will, but you won't. Know what I mean?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:17 am

Wooley wrote:

My thoughts:

Starry Eyes (2014)

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:27 am

MadMan wrote:
My thoughts:

Starry Eyes (2014)

Oh, that looks much better than I would have expected.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Wooley wrote:
Oh, that looks much better than I would have expected.

Granted I gave it an 8/10, but I liked it.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I agree that using the Hill House "brand" is unnecessary at best and cheap at worst, but I'm mostly excited that Flanagan is making a haunted house series.
Any attempt at a remake would be doomed to fail in my eyes, so I'm glad they're not trying.

I wouldn't be against a remake on principle. As bad as the late '90s one was, there were things I admired. Mostly set design, but Lili Taylor was a fantastic choice for Eleanor, regardless of how much they bastardized the story. And I'd trust Flanagan as much as any current horror director. He might not have the most idiosyncratic take, but he'd have an honorable one, I'm sure.

This, just... ugh.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:02 am

DaMU wrote:
As bad as the late '90s one was, there were things I admired. Mostly set design, but Lili Taylor was a fantastic choice for Eleanor, regardless of how much they bastardized the story.

oof...I forgot that existed and I saw it in the theater. I just watched the trailer and it all came back to me. Jan "Twister" De Bont is always my first choice for slow-burn horror. :)

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next