It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

DaMU wrote:

I wouldn't be against a remake on principle. As bad as the late '90s one was, there were things I admired. Mostly set design, but Lili Taylor was a fantastic choice for Eleanor, regardless of how much they bastardized the story. And I'd trust Flanagan as much as any current horror director. He might not have the most idiosyncratic take, but he'd have an honorable one, I'm sure.

This, just... ugh.

Lili Taylor was perfect casting and gave a perfect performance. I actually thought CZ-J was pretty spot-on for her role when compared to the character from the book, as well. Not sure what the fuck Owen Wilson was doing in that movie, though, or what the point of having Bruce Dern in that role was.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 am

Wooley wrote:

Lili Taylor was perfect casting and gave a perfect performance. I actually thought CZ-J was pretty spot-on for her role when compared to the character from the book, as well. Not sure what the fuck Owen Wilson was doing in that movie, though, or what the point of having Bruce Dern in that role was.

I hated it at the time, what I remember most is that it was an early example of cruddy CGI attempting to be scary. Granted, I probably approached it with a giant chip on my shoulder because I was a fan of the '63 version. I know I was dragged there by a friend and her sister, so it wasn't my idea to see it.
Totally forgot Wilson was in it until just now, but in his defense he's taking the Russ Tamblyn role so the bar wasn't super high.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:05 am

Whoa. I've seen the 90s version but totally forgot until now. I remember . . . nothing about it. I thought I remembered a scene, but it was from the The Haunting film.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:42 am

The dialogue they're given doesn't help. Owen Wilson has to stop everything and say, "These carvings sure are creepy."

The whole thing with Eleanor saving the children just beats me down. The CG, the audio effects. The kids ghostily saying "Thank you, Eleanor" is permanently lodged in my mind, and I haven't seen the movie since release. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh. Argh.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 am

Good God, I'm rewatching clips online. The enormous lion-headed chimney stopper decapitates Luke, Theo screams, his head rolls, and Eleanor responds with a disappointed, "Oh, no!" This movie is dangerously close to satire. Eleanor should've said, "Ahh, beans!"

And the desire for impressive CG effects leads to stake-less moments, like when Lili swings a piece of debris at an animated stone griffin, and so the griffin just... stops?

I don't know if I can get down with Lili giving a great performance. The surrounding movie fails her.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 am

DaMU wrote:
Good God, I'm rewatching clips online. The enormous lion-headed chimney stopper decapitates Luke, Theo screams, his head rolls, and Eleanor responds with a disappointed, "Oh, no!" This movie is dangerously close to satire. Eleanor should've said, "Ahh, beans!"

And the desire for impressive CG effects leads to stake-less moments, like when Lili swings a piece of debris at an animated stone griffin, and so the griffin just... stops?

I don't know if I can get down with Lili giving a great performance. The surrounding movie fails her.

Wait! I do think I remember this! This is the one where the piano wire snaps and hits someone in the face, right? That and maybe at the end
a wall of carved wooden people (children?) is holding onto the main woman's body
?

I remember the chimney scene you describe because my younger self was super confused about what that lion thing was or where it would have come from.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Do it, man. I don't know when the opportunity to see this IMAX will happen again. It's every bit as wonderful as it seemed
I'll think about it, but I think today was the last day IMAX was showing it : / Anyway, I am happy that you got to see it at least, especially since I've been thinking about it more than usual after I referenced it for my entry for 1968 in the New Hollywood thread, which, while you haven't posted in yet, I still assume that you're at least reading it, right...?

:)

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:01 am

Stu wrote:
I'll think about it, but I think today was the last day IMAX was showing it : / Anyway, I am happy that you got to see it at least, especially since I've been thinking about it more than usual after I referenced it for my entry for 1968 in the New Hollywood thread, which, while you haven't posted in yet, I still assume that you're at least reading it, right...?

:)

I’m really bad at this site. I find myself exclusively posting here and recently seen while ignoring the rest. I’ll give it a whirl

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:11 am

Thoughts on The Collector with Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar? Ended up grabbing it on a whim at the video store today as some final Halloween pre-gaming (for the record, Halloween starts mid-September).

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Some recent viewings:

UNSANE (2018)
Loved it. Thought it was heading in one direction but then it swerved onto another path. Watch this one spoiler-free if possible.

THE INCIDENT (2014)
THE SIMILARS (2015)
Someone else mentioned these about a month ago and I liked these a lot. Directed by Isaac Ezban, both films are based on a high-concept Twilight Zone premise, but they're handled with a degree of intelligence that I appreciate. The problem with high-concept is that the resolution is not always satisfying but in both cases I thought they were well done. My advice for the curious would be to start with The Incident.

HOW TO TALK TO GIRLS AT PARTIES (2017)
Has anyone else seen this one? Directed by John Cameron Mitchell (aka Hedwig), it's set in the British punk scene in the 70s and deals with some punks who encounter a group of aliens (or something), one of whom is Elle Fanning. There were some moments I thought were great and some humorous bits that were genuinely funny, but overall it didn't quite do it for me. I like Mitchell and the punk rock scenes felt authentic (I guess. I was 6 yrs old at the time) so I was mostly on board but the alien stuff was a bit too undercooked to make much of an impression. Disappointing.

*Woolz--- any of these would probably fit your September requirements.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Rock wrote:
Thoughts on The Collector with Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar? Ended up grabbing it on a whim at the video store today as some final Halloween pre-gaming (for the record, Halloween starts mid-September).

I watched the film and read the book in pretty close succession, so my feelings about the two are very intertwined.

I definitely struggled with it being one of those films where you're sort of supposed to feel sorry for the kidnapper, who is the archetypal shy, socially awkward man. There's a lot of him being a "gentlemen" and all the usual junk you get with these "Stockholm romances".

I did appreciate that the film never goes along with the idea that he loves her. He doesn't. Like any crime of this nature it's about power. I think that the moment I remember the most is when she
tells him that if he ever rapes her, she'll never speak to him or look at him again. It's a very sad moment of a person using the only leverage she has to try to survive a situation. The movie knows that she is in a doomed situation (hence the comparison to someone who kills beautiful butterflies in order to collect them), but I don't think it makes the most of it.

Like many films in the kidnapping genre, far too much of the film is simply a will-he-won't-he as you wait for his character to rape hers. It's the well the film goes back to again and again to generate tension and it's why the film ultimately doesn't work for me.

The book has the novelty of telling the entire story from one character's point of view, and then going back to tell it from the other point of view. I'd give both the book and the movie a C, maybe a C-.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Whoa. I've seen the 90s version but totally forgot until now. I remember . . . nothing about it. I thought I remembered a scene, but it was from the The Haunting film.

There was a silly lion.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:01 am

I've never seen the 1998 Haunting, and I suspect that this is probably a good thing outside of Lili Taylor and perhaps Zeta-Jones?

If I remember correctly, Liam Neeson's psychologist misleads the other characters into going into the house in the first place. Sort of like how Philip Zimbardo lured those students into earning some quick bucks as playing prisoners and guards before having the experiment go out of control. Something about that just kind of bugged me.

Oh and I read a quote about what the maid said before she locked up. I saw it and it just caused me to facepalm so hard.

On a different subject, if I'm reading early reviews of the 2018 remake of Suspiria correctly, this film might be good after all. Kind of a pleasant surprise.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:16 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I watched the film and read the book in pretty close succession, so my feelings about the two are very intertwined.

I definitely struggled with it being one of those films where you're sort of supposed to feel sorry for the kidnapper, who is the archetypal shy, socially awkward man. There's a lot of him being a "gentlemen" and all the usual junk you get with these "Stockholm romances".

I did appreciate that the film never goes along with the idea that he loves her. He doesn't. Like any crime of this nature it's about power. I think that the moment I remember the most is when she
tells him that if he ever rapes her, she'll never speak to him or look at him again. It's a very sad moment of a person using the only leverage she has to try to survive a situation. The movie knows that she is in a doomed situation (hence the comparison to someone who kills beautiful butterflies in order to collect them), but I don't think it makes the most of it.

Like many films in the kidnapping genre, far too much of the film is simply a will-he-won't-he as you wait for his character to rape hers. It's the well the film goes back to again and again to generate tension and it's why the film ultimately doesn't work for me.

The book has the novelty of telling the entire story from one character's point of view, and then going back to tell it from the other point of view. I'd give both the book and the movie a C, maybe a C-.

Just watched this. I'm with you in that I find the troubled killer/kidnapper a tough trope to pull off well (or just one that's been done poorly often), and while I think the movie makes a somewhat respectable effort, it's clear that this is nowhere near the calibre of Psycho or Peeping Tom. (Compare the scene with the neighbour and the bathwater to post-shower cleanup in Psycho and you see the wide gap in queasiness and tension.)

One thing I liked was that the movie made it clear that none of his agreements or negotiations were done in good faith, and I think that goes a decent way in subverting his earlier awkwardness and politeness. I also think the statelier, almost Hammer-influenced visual style makes for an interesting contrast to the more disturbing material, but that might be because horror was in a transitional phase at the time rather than any intent of the filmmakers.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:32 am

Apex Predator wrote:
On a different subject, if I'm reading early reviews of the 2018 remake of Suspiria correctly, this film might be good after all. Kind of a pleasant surprise.

the reviews I've been seeing are pretty all over the place but that doesn't mean my interest is any less piqued.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:49 am

Rock wrote:
One thing I liked was that the movie made it clear that none of his agreements or negotiations were done in good faith, and I think that goes a decent way in subverting his earlier awkwardness and politeness. I also think the statelier, almost Hammer-influenced visual style makes for an interesting contrast to the more disturbing material, but that might be because horror was in a transitional phase at the time rather than any intent of the filmmakers.

I agree that it does a good job of making it clear that he's a bad guy (again, the blatant analogy of the butterflies and the killing jar is pretty clear). I also agree that the film has an older "look", but a very bleak, "modern" type plot, and the contrast is a bit jarring.

One thing that is pointed out in the IMDb trivia page (that I also noticed when I read the book after seeing the film), is that in the book he
knows she is sick and doesn't do anything about it for a long time. But in the film, the way that her death is framed it's not as explicitly his fault--he's in the hospital and then when he gets back at one point she's dead. After I read the book I was surprised that the film chose to lessen his culpability in her death. I think that in the book it's even clear that he's been "shopping" for a new girl even before the woman he's holding prisoner dies.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Apex Predator wrote:

I am very glad to hear that, the most recently trailer looked like a disaster to me.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:16 am

Apex Predator wrote:
I've never seen the 1998 Haunting, and I suspect that this is probably a good thing

The original had a fantastic use of the "less is more" scares

The remake is just a "More, more, more" CGI jizz fest

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:38 am

Wooley wrote:

Although I am intrigued by Terrifier. I really liked Art The Clown from All Hallow's Eve and his parts of the otherwise pretty awful film were, I thought, genuinely scary, so a whole film of Art The Clown is a draw for me. However, I thought central to his appeal was the performance and they changed actors for some reason.

Terrifier has just been added to Netflix streaming so I dug up this old post. The good news is that Art is as disturbing as ever. If you hadn't told me about the new actor I wouldn't have guessed. Also, this is overall a better film than AHE, but that's no big accomplishment I guess. Some of the violence was a bit much for me just because I'm such a weenie, but slasher fans and gore hounds should find a lot to like. I admit I do admire the lean and mean approach used here- He's creepy and he kills people and that's all we know (or need to know as far as I'm concerned). To hell with motive or back story. Great movie? No, but will probably scratch the Halloween itch a couple of months from now.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:18 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Terrifier has just been added to Netflix streaming so I dug up this old post. The good news is that Art is as disturbing as ever. If you hadn't told me about the new actor I wouldn't have guessed. Also, this is overall a better film than AHE, but that's no big accomplishment I guess. Some of the violence was a bit much for me just because I'm such a weenie, but slasher fans and gore hounds should find a lot to like. I admit I do admire the lean and mean approach used here- He's creepy and he kills people and that's all we know (or need to know as far as I'm concerned). To hell with motive or back story. Great movie? No, but will probably scratch the Halloween itch a couple of months from now.

Yeah, there are not many movies that I can go along with the Art The Clown level of violence with, it's really not my thing either, and so many movies think that's what's gonna make their movie. But it's really when you have a scenario in a film in which the ultraviolence turns a situation extreme, like TCM, House of 1k Corpses, or a clown that seems sinister but you don't really know what his deal is until he cuts your fucking limbs off without ever letting that smile slip, that's when it works for me.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, there are not many movies that I can go along with the Art The Clown level of violence with, it's really not my thing either, and so many movies think that's what's gonna make their movie. But it's really when you have a scenario in a film in which the ultraviolence turns a situation extreme, like TCM, House of 1k Corpses, or a clown that seems sinister but you don't really know what his deal is until he cuts your fucking limbs off without ever letting that smile slip, that's when it works for me.

I don't even remember the violence in AHE now, because the enduring memory for me is that scene where he's in the bus station just sitting there being a creepy mofo. That's my favorite element of the character so my favorite scene from Terrifier is a similar scenario, where our heroines encounter him in a diner. I mean, there's probably a limit to how many movies you can get out of this before it becomes stale, but so far so good.
Another thing I appreciate is the lack of a torture element to the violence. It's really gross, don't get me wrong, but we're at least spared most of the squirming and pleading of the victims. If you're a victim, your suffering will be short. Small favors, etc.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Rumpled wrote:

The original had a fantastic use of the "less is more" scares

The remake is just a "More, more, more" CGI jizz fest

So I definitely need to see the original one for October then.

Some of you may be pleased to see that I'm watching a horror movie in September. One involving psychics, knives, and a jazzy version of John Carpenter's Halloween score.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:25 am

After further review, Terrifier has been on my mind all day today so as a result I'm forced to conclude that it was better than my hot take suggested. I have bumped it up an extra star.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:52 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I don't even remember the violence in [b]AHE now, because the enduring memory for me is that scene where he's in the bus station just sitting there being a creepy mofo.[/b] That's my favorite element of the character so my favorite scene from Terrifier is a similar scenario, where our heroines encounter him in a diner. I mean, there's probably a limit to how many movies you can get out of this before it becomes stale, but so far so good.
Another thing I appreciate is the lack of a torture element to the violence. It's really gross, don't get me wrong, but we're at least spared most of the squirming and pleading of the victims. If you're a victim, your suffering will be short. Small favors, etc.

Oh, in the third segment, he just fucking mutilates people. Mutilates. But, in fact, it seemed to me like the payoff for everything he had been up to that point. I mean, it was like, "man, this clown is fucked up, but is he just some kind of creepy observer or does he have his own gig? Oh, he's... oh!... OH NO!..." And that worked for me.
It sounds like you need to re-watch that third segment of AHE, cause he's an absolutely horrifying bastard in that.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Wooley wrote:
It sounds like you need to re-watch that third segment of AHE, cause he's an absolutely horrifying bastard in that.

I think you're right. According to Netflix it's been 3 years since I watched it.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:51 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I think you're right. According to Netflix it's been 3 years since I watched it.

That last segment (before the wrap-around conclusion) is brutal.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Calibre is not really a horror film but some horrific things happen nonetheless. Dealing with a hunting accident and its repercussions, it's a very tense experience and has a zinger of an ending. Worth a watch (Netflix).

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:39 pm

Holy shit, the new Halloween trailer looks dope as FUCK!
Honestly, even if the movie sucks, the trailer is the sequel to Halloween 2 I've been waiting for since I was like 11 or 12 years old.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Wooley wrote:
Honestly, even if the movie sucks, the trailer is the sequel to Halloween 2 I've been waiting for since I was like 11 or 12 years old.

Yeah the trailers have been pretty good. Kinda loving the shot composition and cinematography of it from what we’ve seen so far. But it looks like it’s retreading the same ground the previous movies covered. It doesn’t look like there’s anything new story or character-wise. But if it’s the same ole thing done really well I’d be satisfied.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:12 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Yeah the trailers have been pretty good. Kinda loving the shot composition and cinematography of it from what we’ve seen so far. But it looks like it’s retreading the same ground the previous movies covered. It doesn’t look like there’s anything new story or character-wise. But if it’s the same ole thing done really well I’d be satisfied.

Yeah, when they decided to go back Michael after Season Of The Witch, the whole thing kinda went off the rails for me and never recovered. This looks like the movie that should have come after Halloween 2, which is all I want. I don't consider any movie after H2 to be canon, never have, so this'll be the movie I've been waiting on since '82 or whenever.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:11 am

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, when they decided to go back Michael after Season Of The Witch, the whole thing kinda went off the rails for me and never recovered. This looks like the movie that should have come after Halloween 2, which is all I want. I don't consider any movie after H2 to be canon, never have, so this'll be the movie I've been waiting on since '82 or whenever.

This one doesn't even recognize H2 as canon. That's how hardcore it is.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:54 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
This one doesn't even recognize H2 as canon. That's how hardcore it is.

Oh wow.
H2 should have been better than it was, but I still ultimately like it.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:34 am

H2 suffers from a generic second act, but otherwise is a cut above most slashers. The first act is especially strong.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:30 am

Wooley wrote:

There doing another one :?

Poor Michael will he ever be laid to rest!!!

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 pm

The Nun is a crap horror movie, but the superior acting level and production values of the Conjuring movies spills over and makes it fairly painless for a crap horror movie. Parts of it feel closer to the gothic horror of Mario Bava's Black Sunday and Kill, Baby...Kill!, although it never realizes that promise, and James Wan's precision with jump scares is also missing entirely here. Probably the movie's biggest blunder is its insistence on explanatory flashbacks. Demian Bichir and Taissa Farmiga are pretty good in their roles (although the former spends half his screentime in a room away from all the action), but their ability to sell a few key moments is undercut by showing us something they're telling us or something we should be able to figure out.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:24 am

Rock wrote:
The Nun is a crap horror movie, but the superior acting level and production values of the Conjuring movies spills over and makes it fairly painless for a crap horror movie. Parts of it feel closer to the gothic horror of Mario Bava's Black Sunday and Kill, Baby...Kill!, although it never realizes that promise, and James Wan's precision with jump scares is also missing entirely here. Probably the movie's biggest blunder is its insistence on explanatory flashbacks. Demian Bichir and Taissa Farmiga are pretty good in their roles (although the former spends half his screentime in a room away from all the action), but their ability to sell a few key moments is undercut by showing us something they're telling us or something we should be able to figure out.

So you're saying a spinoff film from the worst element of a Conjuring sequel didn't pay off?

Is nothing sacred!

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:30 am

crumbsroom wrote:

So you're saying a spinoff film from the worst element of a Conjuring sequel didn't pay off?

Is nothing sacred!

I'd actually frame it the other way. While not good, it's probably better than it should be. It's pretty nice looking, at least.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:

I think I'm with you on the violence. I'm not really squeamish, but seeing people's faces get turned into mincemeat multiple times was a bit much.

As for the movie, like you I appreciate how no-nonsense it is in terms of letting the creepy clown be creepy and getting down to the slashing with as little fuss as possible. Not exactly my thing (it might play better to people with coulrophobia) and probably could have used some black humour, but not terrible.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Rock wrote:
I think I'm with you on the violence. I'm not really squeamish, but seeing people's faces get turned into mincemeat multiple times was a bit much.

As for the movie, like you I appreciate how no-nonsense it is in terms of letting the creepy clown be creepy and getting down to the slashing with as little fuss as possible. Not exactly my thing (it might play better to people with coulrophobia) and probably could have used some black humour, but not terrible.

Right, in terms of what this movie is trying to be I think it has to be considered a success. Not really my thing either, so I guess I just question how badly we need this sort of movie in 2018 but I can't really fault the execution. (ha! nice choice of words there)

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Right, in terms of what this movie is trying to be I think it has to be considered a success. Not really my thing either, so I guess I just question how badly we need this sort of movie in 2018 but I can't really fault the execution. (ha! nice choice of words there)

I'm not so sure it's entirely successful. The film is still very poorly written, even for a slasher horror throwback. It falls for virtually every cliche that's been upended and laughed at since Scream, with no wink or acknowledgement. I think virtually every character with speaking lines has a moment where they've defeated Art, via stabbing or bludgeoning, then instead of finishing him off, they drop the weapon and run. It's frustrating to watch because despite it's best efforts, the film ISN'T from the 80s. The time has more or less passed for films that aim so low as to be the next Mutilator or Blood Rage. Those films are charming in their incompetence matched with grue. This one just seems to be trying for something more joyless and harrowing and it only really succeeds in the former.

I did appreciate some of the unexpected brutality and the gore was well-done. Art was fine in concept but the mine aspect came off as more deflating than scary. I also think a killer clown that doesn't use the opportunity for a good evil laugh is going in the wrong direction.

But yeah. If you miss old, cliched, low budget slashers and don't mind digital photography that looks like a Youtube web series, it's easy to do A LOT worse. This one was definitely watchable and moves at a quick pace. The lead actress also looks like a mix of Neve Campbell and Lacey Chabert, which definitely was part of why I kept watching.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:44 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Some recent viewings:

THE INCIDENT (2014)
THE SIMILARS (2015)
Someone else mentioned these about a month ago and I liked these a lot. Directed by Isaac Ezban, both films are based on a high-concept Twilight Zone premise, but they're handled with a degree of intelligence that I appreciate. The problem with high-concept is that the resolution is not always satisfying but in both cases I thought they were well done. My advice for the curious would be to start with The Incident.

I think that was me!

What did you think about The Similars' vibe? I thought it didn't really succeed at defiding itself as either suspenseful or comedic and I didn't think it worked either way or as a balance of both so I didn't know how to interpret it.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:05 am

Charles wrote:

I think that was me!

What did you think about The Similars' vibe? I thought it didn't really succeed at defiding itself as either suspenseful or comedic and I didn't think it worked either way or as a balance of both so I didn't know how to interpret it.

I was mostly ok with that; I pretty much took it as a comedy throughout. The premise is so absurd that I think it only works if you're laughing at it a little. And by the time you're confronted with
bearded babies and bearded centerfolds
, I think it's pretty clear how seriously we're supposed to be taking it. But you're right in that it's rarely laugh-out-loud funny. I guess I just found it all amusing from the get-go so it wasn't an issue for me. But The Incident is by far the better film in my opinion.

Also, my main beef with The Similars is that effect they used to "age" the film. It looked like it was done in Windows Movie Maker.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I'm not so sure it's entirely successful. The film is still very poorly written, even for a slasher horror throwback. It falls for virtually every cliche that's been upended and laughed at since Scream, with no wink or acknowledgement. I think virtually every character with speaking lines has a moment where they've defeated Art, via stabbing or bludgeoning, then instead of finishing him off, they drop the weapon and run. It's frustrating to watch because despite it's best efforts, the film ISN'T from the 80s. The time has more or less passed for films that aim so low as to be the next Mutilator or Blood Rage. Those films are charming in their incompetence matched with grue. This one just seems to be trying for something more joyless and harrowing and it only really succeeds in the former.

I did appreciate some of the unexpected brutality and the gore was well-done. Art was fine in concept but the mine aspect came off as more deflating than scary. I also think a killer clown that doesn't use the opportunity for a good evil laugh is going in the wrong direction.

But yeah. If you miss old, cliched, low budget slashers and don't mind digital photography that looks like a Youtube web series, it's easy to do A LOT worse. This one was definitely watchable and moves at a quick pace. The lead actress also looks like a mix of Neve Campbell and Lacey Chabert, which definitely was part of why I kept watching.

Well I don't disagree with any of that, I guess I just assumed we're supposed to overlook such things in slashers. It must be noted that I've seen precious few in my day, so I wouldn't know a cliche if it stabbed me in the face. But yeah, post-Scream we should be above such things I guess. I only meant "successful" in that I think Leone made the film he was trying to make. I can imagine his response to that critique would be "F--- Scream", for example, but that's just speculation. The fact that it stuck with me for the next 3 days is a testament to...something, though.

One thing that did strike me as novel was the fact that Art
used a gun.
I don't know if that violates some Slasher Code but I can't say I've seen it often, and when it happened it made perfect sense. Like of course he (and any other killer) would.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:01 am

Rock wrote:

This is slightly depressing. I'm a quiet fan of the two Conjuring movies and Annabelle: Creation. I don't remember, do you have much appreciation for the "series"?

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:47 am

Also, I'm still peeved that this new Halloween film disregards H2O and then tells a story that looks very similar to H2O.

I don't hate H2O.

And I love its final moments.

We could've all stopped there and moved on to a more interesting series.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:49 am

DaMU wrote:

This is slightly depressing. I'm a quiet fan of the two Conjuring movies and Annabelle: Creation. I don't remember, do you have much appreciation for the "series"?

I like both Conjuring movies a reasonable amount (the first is generally tighter and has the Lili Taylor performance, while the second one is less consistent but has more personality with things like that Elvis scene). I haven't seen either Annabelle movie, although I suppose I should check out the second one at some point. Also, when I call The Nun crap, I don't mean that it's outright crap, just the kind of junky horror movie full of lame jump scares and the like. On those terms, it's a solid 5/10 - better mounted than one might have expected given its spin-off status without actually crossing the line into "good".

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:23 am

DaMU wrote:
Also, I'm still peeved that this new Halloween film disregards H2O and then tells a story that looks very similar to H2O.

I don't hate H2O.

I'd argue that maybe it's the second best Halloween.

Maybe it's worn a bit over the years, but I agree they could have stopped there and gone in a new direction.

But nah! Let's just beat the cash cow until it's dead due to Dangertainment. Then give Rob Zombie a couple of cracks at it. Then try to exhume the corpse of the franchise.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am

DaMU wrote:

I'm sorry to tell you that I thought it was instantly the worst of the Wan-verse or whatever they call it. Maybe Insidious 2 was worse, but maybe not.

Edit: I forgot about the Annabelle movies, I haven't seen either of those, but I saw all the other Insidious/Conjuring movies.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:17 am

DaMU wrote:

I don't hate H2O.

I'm perfectly happy to deny that all the movies ever Witch ever happened.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:29 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Well I don't disagree with any of that, I guess I just assumed we're supposed to overlook such things in slashers. It must be noted that I've seen precious few in my day, so I wouldn't know a cliche if it stabbed me in the face. But yeah, post-Scream we should be above such things I guess. I only meant "successful" in that I think Leone made the film he was trying to make. I can imagine his response to that critique would be "F--- Scream", for example, but that's just speculation. The fact that it stuck with me for the next 3 days is a testament to...something, though.

One thing that did strike me as novel was the fact that Art
used a gun.
I don't know if that violates some Slasher Code but I can't say I've seen it often, and when it happened it made perfect sense. Like of course he (and any other killer) would.

I typed up a response but it got eaten so I'll try to paraphrase. The subversion you pointed out was my favorite thing about the flick, along with how it created a...

False protagonist (though losing her severely hurt my interest).

However , that made is laziness and reliance on outdated tropes even more frustrating. It felt like Leone clearly knew better and was aware but just plodding along, with only that and effective gore in his pocket to carry us to the end.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next