It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 50  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
I didn't like The House by the Cemetery when I saw it a few years back (me! me! me! click my link!) as, like Crumbsroom says, it's more straightforward approach makes the stupid and nonsensical shit play much worse. But I'd like to revisit both that and Zombie (which I also didn't enjoy, although my reasons pertained more to its pacing) as I've warmed to Fulci over the years. Given that I even enjoyed Aenigma when I saw it a few months back, there's a good chance I've lost all critical perspective.

I actually ended up liking Zombi quite a bit, but I had to have already seen two or three Fulcis to be able to set myself appropriately, and I think I still had to reset once. But I ended up really digging it. It is another movie that would end up copiously clipped into my horror-scene montage if I was ever actually going to make it.
Best eyeball scene ever.

Also, now that I think of it, best zombie vs. shark scene ever.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:04 am

Rock wrote:
I didn't like The House by the Cemetery when I saw it a few years back (me! me! me! click my link!) as, like Crumbsroom says, it's more straightforward approach makes the stupid and nonsensical shit play much worse. But I'd like to revisit both that and Zombie (which I also didn't enjoy, although my reasons pertained more to its pacing) as I've warmed to Fulci over the years. Given that I even enjoyed Aenigma when I saw it a few months back, there's a good chance I've lost all critical perspective.

I've been hammering out reviews on my blog over the last few days, so I'll post a bunch of those here later. Expect terrible, overly generous opinions about movies of dubious value.

Oh, hey, this is where you went wrong: "...but I do expect that they remain consistent to some sort of internal logic." :P

But seriously, your write-up is almost exactly my experience with the movie and what I'm holding out hope for is that the things I actually really responded to in the movie, now that I have come to really like some of Fulci's work, will significantly overshadow all the problems.

Man, I really wanna remake these movies!

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:11 am

Torgo wrote:
I saw Pumpkinhead for the first time and liked it more than I thought I would. It manages to be two horror movies in one - one about a father's Faustian agreement with a witch to revive his dead son and another about a xenomorph-like creature stalking a cabin full of sexy teenagers - without coming across as overdone. It even manages to add a unique take on yuppies' disregard for working class people, a staple of '80s horror, for good measure. Lance Henriksen gives a typically strong, dignified performance as the father. Speaking of dignified, it was nice to see Buck Flower (the bum from Back to the Future) in a straight man role, i.e. Lance's poor, wordly neighbor, for a change.

Pumpkinhead rocks.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:14 am

The 1940 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde starring Tracy, Bergman and Turner was solid classic horror that was heavier on the drama than horror but was enjoyable nonetheless. The make-up was perhaps too subtle, with Hyde looking little more than an unkempt, hungover Jekyll than a new man and embodiment of evil but the performance and emphasis on abusive relationships carried a substantial amount of weight. Bergman is rather heart breaking as a broken women and match for Hyde while Turner is appropriately angelic (a sharp turn from the last, more famous role I watched her in: Postman) in her matching with Jekyll. Tracy gives a fairly dynamic performance though I found his lack of dedication to the physicality of Hyde a distraction, as virtually every time he has to do something like run, jump and fight, they use a stunt double who wears a poor, creepy mask of Tracy's face. It is noticable every single time.

That said, it's affecting and a handsome production.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:53 am

Tale of Tales was a fun, visually enticing film. I wouldn't say that it was great. My impression was that the stories would intersect far more than they did, and instead it was more like eight minutes of one story, then cut to another story, then cut to the third story, then back to the first.

I did think that the acting was overall pretty strong, but the characters themselves were a bit thinly written. Yes, I get that characters in fairy tales are often more broad (like the horny, geriatric-phobic king), but when you have to spend time with someone for over two hours, you want a little more depth. The film has strong actors for leads (Salma Hayek, Vincent Cassell, Toby Jones, Bebe Cave, Shirley Henderson), all of whom give their characters a boost from what is simply written on the page.

I also really liked the bonkers reality of this movie, in which a woman might find an old lady hurt in the woods and just start breast feeding her. Like you do. I've read a ton of fairy tales (German, Russian, etc), and I liked the way that the movie mixed together elements of different stories, so that they were at once familiar and unexpected. I also have to give a nod to the costumers of the film--the clothing is colorful and has wonderful construction.

The downside to the film really is the somewhat flat writing. There are some horrific ideas and a fun mix of grisly fairy tale details, but it somehow doesn't come together in a very satisfying way with the exception of the story of Violet, a princess married to a horrible ogre. Two of the stories end with a feeling of "Oh . . . that's it?". At over two hours, that's a long way to go for such a middling conclusion. There are also quite a few moments that feel a little bit too much like the film trying to assert that it's dark and edgy, especially in the extraneous sex scenes and nudity. I didn't mind the parts that actually felt relevant to the plot, but two or three scenes felt like they were added just to throw some anonymous female flesh on the screen, and that element was kind of eye-rolling. More underwater fights with giant salamanders, fewer no-name carriage lesbian make-out sessions please.

I would recommend this film, but it's not as strong as I wish it had been. I love films that draw on either direct or adapted versions of old fairy tales. I really enjoyed the oddball touches that this film had, but it just didn't quite land the ending.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The 1940 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde starring Tracy, Bergman and Turner was solid classic horror that was heavier on the drama than horror but was enjoyable nonetheless. The make-up was perhaps too subtle, with Hyde looking little more than an unkempt, hungover Jekyll than a new man and embodiment of evil but the performance and emphasis on abusive relationships carried a substantial amount of weight. Bergman is rather heart breaking as a broken women and match for Hyde while Turner is appropriately angelic (a sharp turn from the last, more famous role I watched her in: Postman) in her matching with Jekyll. Tracy gives a fairly dynamic performance though I found his lack of dedication to the physicality of Hyde a distraction, as virtually every time he has to do something like run, jump and fight, they use a stunt double who wears a poor, creepy mask of Tracy's face. It is noticable every single time.

That said, it's affecting and a handsome production.

Whoa--I'm watching the 1920 version right now!

Have you guys seen the BBC miniseries Jekyll from the early 2000s? While it had some serious flaws, I thought that it had some interesting ideas and a neat interpretation of the character.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

Whoa--I'm watching the 1920 version right now!

Have you guys seen the BBC miniseries Jekyll from the early 2000s? While it had some serious flaws, I thought that it had some interesting ideas and a neat interpretation of the character.

I intend to see the Barrymore version of this and the Cheney version of Phantom this Horrorthon.

I saw the first episode or so and couldnt get into it. I dont think i could even articulate why. I have a vague memory of him jumping up and down on a hoodlum and just feeling offput. I like Nesbit though.

I thinj ny favoeote version of the character is the Hammer version thus far. I liked tbe choice of making Hyde the atteacrive, suave and seductive evil and Jekyll being the ugly one. The make up also could have been better.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:28 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I intend to see the Barrymore version of this and the Cheney version of Phantom this Horrorthon.

I saw the first episode or so and couldnt get into it. I dont think i could even articulate why. I have a vague memory of him jumping up and down on a hoodlum and just feeling offput. I like Nesbit though.

The 1920 version was really good. There's a really lovely print of it on YouTube.

As for the miniseries, one of its downsides was its manic attempts at humor, which were definitely most pronounced in the first two episodes. But from there it becomes a pretty interesting story that is sort of a sci-fi thriller. I concede that it's a mixed bag (with some truly atrocious American accents thrown in as a bonus), but I think that a fair number of the ideas work pretty well.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:09 pm

I didn't see the Hammer one, that sounds interesting.

I've seen the 1920, 1931, and 1941 versions, and the 1931 Mamoulian version is tops for me, in all its pre-Code glory. The 1941 flick, like you say, is quite good, and Bergman puts in some great work.

Also, looking at the Wiki list of adaptations, and GODDAMNIT there's a lost F. W. Murnau adaptation.

That is so so so sad.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Cool, VHS2 is on Hulu, so I'm going to watch "Safe Haven" for probably the fifth time.

EDIT: Nevermind, don't do it, this is some sort of censored cut where static fuzz covers the gorier moments.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Watched two movies tonight:

Desolation was a pretty straightforward little horror/thriller that’s effective at what it tries to do. And only an hour and fifteen minutes.

Retro Puppet Masters starring Greg Sestero with Rifftrax was a chore, even all The Room jokes couldn’t make this slog entertaining.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Watched two movies tonight:

Desolation was a pretty straightforward little horror/thriller that’s effective at what it tries to do. And only an hour and fifteen minutes.

Retro Puppet Masters starring Greg Sestero with Rifftrax was a chore, even all The Room jokes couldn’t make this slog entertaining.

Are any of the Puppet Master movies good at all? I don't think Rumpled has posted since he volunteered to see the last one, so I fear it may have defeated him with its badness.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:37 pm

As far as Jekyll and/or Hyde movies go, I'm a fan of Walerian Borowczyk's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne with Udo Kier, although not having Udo Kier play Hyde was probably a missed opportunity.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Rock wrote:
As far as Jekyll and/or Hyde movies go, I'm a fan of Walerian Borowczyk's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne with Udo Kier, although not having Udo Kier play Hyde was probably a missed opportunity.

It’s on my list for this horrorthon. I blind bought the Arrow during a sale.

I watched Creepshow 2 and Tales of Halloween. The former isn’t as good as its predecessor but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. The latter was more miss than hit but had enough enjoyable, cheeky shorts to justify its existence. The

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Rock wrote:
Are any of the Puppet Master movies good at all? I don't think Rumpled has posted since he volunteered to see the last one, so I fear it may have defeated him with its badness.

I’ve seen several of them. They’ve all been horrendous.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Rock wrote:
Are any of the Puppet Master movies good at all?

Watched the first one, and never saw any reason to continue. I have no idea who even wanted there to be sequels to this shit. Are there actually fans of it out there?

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:19 pm

I thought that Dollman Vs. Demonic Toys was trashy, campy fun, but I wouldn't recommend it without some stiff spiritual fortification (ie, whiskey).

I guess that's all part of the same Charles Band universee.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:55 pm

Rock wrote:

I’ve seen the first two and Retro...they’re not good. I think I have the newest one queued for later this month too.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Rock wrote:

Weird. I thought that was Kier in make-up.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Weird. I thought that was Kier in make-up.

Sadly it's just a weird looking dude. I would have preferred Kier to play both Jekyll and Hyde, or at least Hyde.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 am

Cronos (1993) - 7/10

Horror stories involving the subject of immortality often feel somber. The plot of this film isn't at the forefront as much as the characters are. In this story, the person who's cursed with this is an elderly, antique dealer who accidentally obtains it upon fiddling with an antique statue. After he continues to experience conflict with a dying businessman who's been trying to obtain it for many years, it seems unlikely that the movie will have a happy ending despite what the viewer hopes for. This worrying thought remains at the heart of this film. In addition, the visuals were gorgeous to look at as they were reminiscent of 60's Hammer Horror. The issue here is that Aurora feels too much like a noncharacter, in contrast to Jesus, Dieter, and Angel. A few people argued that Del Toro's intention was to approach the horror/fantasy world from a child's perspective, but I think this concept was much better developed in Pan's Labyrinth where Ofelia was much more interesting. Still, this is a promising debut films which I'd easily recommend on the basis of the other 3 characters and the visuals.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:00 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Watched the first one, and never saw any reason to continue. I have no idea who even wanted there to be sequels to this shit. Are there actually fans of it out there?

This was also my experience. The series seems to have a small cult following, so I gave it a poke and I won't be poking any further.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Cronos (1993) - 7/10

Horror stories involving the subject of immortality often feel somber. The plot of this film isn't at the forefront as much as the characters are. In this story, the person who's cursed with this is an elderly, antique dealer who accidentally obtains it upon fiddling with an antique statue. After he continues to experience conflict with a dying businessman who's been trying to obtain it for many years, it seems unlikely that the movie will have a happy ending despite what the viewer hopes for. This worrying thought remains at the heart of this film. In addition, the visuals were gorgeous to look at as they were reminiscent of 60's Hammer Horror. The issue here is that Aurora feels too much like a noncharacter, in contrast to Jesus, Dieter, and Angel. A few people argued that Del Toro's intention was to approach the horror/fantasy world from a child's perspective, but I think this concept was much better developed in Pan's Labyrinth where Ofelia was much more interesting. Still, this is a promising debut films which I'd easily recommend on the basis of the other 3 characters and the visuals.

I had a different experience here, I thought this was nearly a 10/10 movie and it's probably my second-favorite Del Toro, behind The Devil's Backbone but ABOVE Pan's Labyrinth.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 am

Wooley wrote:
I had a different experience here, I thought this was nearly a 10/10 movie and it's probably my second-favorite Del Toro, behind The Devil's Backbone but ABOVE Pan's Labyrinth.

I think this is better than Pan's Labyrinth as well (I haven't seen The Devil's Backbone yet). What did you like about it?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:19 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I think this is better than Pan's Labyrinth as well (I haven't seen The Devil's Backbone yet). What did you like about it?

I always feel like the odd one out when people talk about Del Toro, because Pan's Labyrinth is so frequently referred to as his best.

But like Wooley I prefer both Devil's Backbone and Cronos to Labyrinth.

The distinction to me is really about the character development. I think that there's simply more complexity to both the protagonists and the villains in Cronos and The Devil's Backbone. In all three films, children are put in danger by their proximity to adults who are willing to do ruthless things to get what they want. But in both Cronos and The Devil's Backbone I feel like there's a greater tragedy at play because of the failure of the caretakers who are present in the child's life.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:

What did I like about The Devil's Backbone? It's hard to say, it's nearly a perfect film. What can you say about that? The story, the acting, the direction, the lighting, the editing, it's just really, really good. Really, though, the story and the characters make it great.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:44 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I always feel like the odd one out when people talk about Del Toro, because Pan's Labyrinth is so frequently referred to as his best.

But like Wooley I prefer both Devil's Backbone and Cronos to Labyrinth.

The distinction to me is really about the character development. I think that there's simply more complexity to both the protagonists and the villains in Cronos and The Devil's Backbone. In all three films, children are put in danger by their proximity to adults who are willing to do ruthless things to get what they want. But in both Cronos and The Devil's Backbone I feel like there's a greater tragedy at play because of the failure of the caretakers who are present in the child's life.

I'm not as down on Pan's Labyrinth as many people are as well. If you were to remove the ending and the Pale man sequence, I'm not sure I'd ever revisit it again.

I also agree that character development is at the forefront of this film. However, I think Pan's Labyrinth shows more about how the events around the child character impacted her. For instance, re-watches showed me how hard it is to determine whether the fantasy events are really happening or if she imagined those characters as an escape from Vidal's war. Also, if she is imagining everything, the threat of death shown in the fantasy world could indicate her trying to imagine something more frightening than Vidal. Although I'm not a fan of the film, I think this was an effective method of characterization. As for Cronos, I didn't get to see enough of how the fantasy world and the various characters effected Aurora. That why I think Del Toro would move on to further develop the childlike perspective concept.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:49 am

Wooley wrote:
What did I like about The Devil's Backbone? It's hard to say, it's nearly a perfect film. What can you say about that? The story, the acting, the direction, the lighting, the editing, it's just really, really good. Really, though, the story and the characters make it great.

Oh, I was actually asking about Cronos.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:50 am

A Bay of Blood - Mario Bava, 1971

Uhh... hoo boy, I don't know, folks.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:53 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I'm not as down on Pan's Labyrinth as many people are as well. If you were to remove the ending and the Pale man sequence, I'm not sure I'd ever revisit it again.

I also agree that character development is at the forefront of this film. However, I think Pan's Labyrinth shows more about how the events around the child character impacted her. For instance, re-watches showed me how hard it is to determine whether the fantasy events are really happening or if she imagined those characters as an escape from Vidal's war. Also, if she is imagining everything, the threat of death shown in the fantasy world could indicate her trying to imagine something more frightening than Vidal. Although I'm not a fan of the film, I think this was an effective method of characterization. As for Cronos, I didn't get to see enough of how the fantasy world and the various characters effected Aurora. That why I think Del Toro would move on to further develop the childlike perspective concept.

I think that The Devil's Backbone is his best in terms of portraying the intersection of childlike point of view and the adult reality surrounding the child.

I do think that Ofelia is a great character, but in order to have the ambiguity around whether or not the "fairy world" sequences are real or imagined, Del Toro has to isolate Ofelia from the other characters. It's a neat exploration of the little girl's experience, but it makes for a more awkward intersection between the simultaneous stories.

I think that Cronos has a very compelling central question, namely what one will do to stay young, and whether one can do monstrous things without becoming a monster. While the little girl isn't as deeply developed, the relationship between her and her grandfather feels very real and lived in, and adds a lot of emotional weight to the outcome of the story.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:08 am

DaMU wrote:

It’s wonderful.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:16 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

It’s wonderful.

I like it too, but it is very possibly my least favorite Bava. Doesn't help that when I saw it, the transfer I was watching looked like it was ripped from an old, worn VHS copy. I have no idea if this has been amended, but it just looked so much worse than everything else I've seen from him that I may be unfairly prejudiced against it for that reason alone.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 am

DaMU wrote:

Some good kraftwerk at times, but this felt like the least of the Bavas I've seen, and its status as one of the slasher progenitors doesn't earn it any goodwill (as I'm not a fan of most slashers outside the undisputed greats like Halloween and Scream). The movie works better when it's a baffling convolution of murder mystery motivations set around the deep desire to own the titular bay - which doesn't look like appealing land anyway, so you're left taking the characters at their word that it's primo real estate. So, basically, it mostly functioned for me when it operated on a loony, ironic level. Which wasn't nearly enough.

That makes for the fifth Bava I've seen, after Black Sunday, Kill Baby Kill, Black Sabbath, and Planet of the Vampires. I may see a couple more this month just to round out some Halloween viewing.

Kanopy.com is streaming a buttload of Bava:

Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
A Bay of Blood
Lisa and the Devil
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
Baron Blood
Kidnapped
The Whip and the Body
Five Dolls For an August Moon
The House of Exorcism

Takoma1 wrote:

I think that The Devil's Backbone is his best in terms of portraying the intersection of childlike point of view and the adult reality surrounding the child.

I do think that Ofelia is a great character, but in order to have the ambiguity around whether or not the "fairy world" sequences are real or imagined, Del Toro has to isolate Ofelia from the other characters. It's a neat exploration of the little girl's experience, but it makes for a more awkward intersection between the simultaneous stories.

I think that Cronos has a very compelling central question, namely what one will do to stay young, and whether one can do monstrous things without becoming a monster. While the little girl isn't as deeply developed, the relationship between her and her grandfather feels very real and lived in, and adds a lot of emotional weight to the outcome of the story.

I'll keep an eye out for it then. I still prefer the direction Del Toro went in with Pan's Labyrinth, but I get why you prefer the childlike perspective aspect in this film more.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

It’s wonderful.

What did you love about it?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:26 am

DaMU wrote:
Lisa and the Devil

This one! I think it is one of his best, maybe only bested by Blood and Black Lace. House of Exorcism is just an American recut of LatD, and everything I hear about it suggests it should be skipped entirely.

It's not horror but Danger: Diabolik is a lot of fun too.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:35 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I like it too, but it is very possibly my least favorite Bava. Doesn't help that when I saw it, the transfer I was watching looked like it was ripped from an old, worn VHS copy. I have no idea if this has been amended, but it just looked so much worse than everything else I've seen from him that I may be unfairly prejudiced against it for that reason alone.

The Arrow Blu Ray transfer looks exceptional, so seek that out and give it another whirl.

It’s definitely not my least favorite Bava, though even if it were, he’s an absolute favorite. I would put it above Shock, Baron Blood, Roy Colt, Five Dolls, Dr. Goldfoot (clearly his worst), Planet of the Vampires, Evil Eye, Caltiki and I Vampiri.

I think the opening scenes and closing scenes show Bava at his most meta and satirical, lampooning the ridiculous levels of convolution and violence that the genre he created has devolved into. It’s absurd and I just have a blast with it. Plus, it really it a good looking, stylish flick as par for course. It helps to have watched a bunch of Giallo to appreciate but I don’t think it’s necessary (just speaking in generalities, not to you specifically).

Seek out a better transfer and I think we’ll be on the same page.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:36 am

DaMU wrote:

What did you love about it?

I answered in a reply to crummy just now. As for your list of Bava, I’d say Lisa and the Devil and the Whip and the Body are the ones most likely to appeal to you. The former is a wonderful surreal horror that has Telly Savalas giving one of his most enigmatic performances and the other is a great, classic Bava gothic horror featuring Christopher Lee. The only tragedy of that is that Lee never recorded any of his dialogue so whether Italian or English, his glorious voice is nowhere to be found.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:38 am

My recs among the Bava

Black Sunday - 10, absolute classic
Black Sabbath - 8.5, great fun
A Bay of Blood - 7.5, I mostly admire the camerawork
Lisa and the Devil - 8.5, great
Hatchet for the Honeymoon - 8
Baron Blood - 6.5, decent enough
Kidnapped - 7.5
The Whip and the Body - 8, imagine if Hammer had more S&M
Five Dolls For an August Moon - 8
The House of Exorcism - 4, skip this butchered cut of Lisa & the Devil with addd nonsensical exorcism scenes to cash-in on The Exorcist

also for those looking elsewhere...

I Vampiri - 8
Caltiki - 8
Hercules in the Haunted World - 7.5
The Girl Who Knew Too Much - 8
Blood and Black Lace - 9
Plant of the Vampires - 7.5
Kill Baby Kill - 9
Danger: Diabolik - 7.5
Shock - 8.5

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:40 am

Jinnistan wrote:
My recs among the Bava

Black Sunday - 10, absolute classic
Black Sabbath - 8.5, great fun
A Bay of Blood - 7.5, I mostly admire the camerawork
Lisa and the Devil - 8.5, great
Hatchet for the Honeymoon - 8
Baron Blood - 6.5, decent enough
Kidnapped - 7.5
The Whip and the Body - 8, imagine if Hammer had more S&M
Five Dolls For an August Moon - 8
The House of Exorcism - 4, skip this butchered cut of Lisa & the Devil with addd nonsensical exorcism scenes to cash-in on The Exorcist

also for those looking elsewhere...

I Vampiri - 8
Caltiki - 8
Hercules in the Haunted World - 7.5
The Girl Who Knew Too Much - 8
Blood and Black Lace - 9
Plant of the Vampires - 7.5
Kill Baby Kill - 9
Danger: Diabolik - 7.5
Shock - 8.5

Have you seen Erik the Conqueror or Knives of the Avenger? I enjoyed both of those a great deal and it’s always nice seeing Cameron Mitchell in quality things, even if they give him strange, off putting hair.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Have you seen Erik the Conqueror or Knives of the Avenger? I enjoyed both of those a great deal and it’s always nice seeing Cameron Mitchell in quality things, even if they give him strange, off putting hair.

No. I haven't seen very many of his non-horror efforts.

I have seen Dr. Goldfoot, now that I think about. Now I think I'll stop thinking about it.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:39 am

Erik the Conqueror is really fun and absolutely gorgeous.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:43 am

DaMU wrote:

Oh, I gotta hear this.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:08 am

Jinnistan wrote:
No. I haven't seen very many of his non-horror efforts.

I have seen Dr. Goldfoot, now that I think about. Now I think I'll stop thinking about it.

I’ve only seen Bava’s Goldfoot and the AIP cut at that but it gave me no reason to seek out the original or Italian version. About 10 mins of enjoyment trapped in a 90 min slog. At least the girls were pretty.

Erik seems to be getting a fair amount of recognition post-Arrow release but I think I actually enjoyed Knives more. It’s just a classic spaghetti western dressed up as a Viking flick but it’s very cool. Tons of Leone-Esque quick draws, save with knives rather than pistols.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:26 am

I've watched about 3/4 of a Hulu original called Into the Dark: The Body. I started watching it because I liked the cover because I am a shallow butterfly.

Not good.

I guess that this is supposed to be the first entry in an anthology series, with each episode based around a different holiday. In this one, a hitman is trying to transport a body across town and ends up accepting a ride from some bozos who take him to a Halloween party.

I don't have many nice things to say about this one. The main character of the hitman goes a few paces past stoic and straight into "no personality". We're also told, by the movie, that he's the best at what he does. But 90% of what he does in the movie makes him seem either stupid or inept or both.

Then there's the "love interest," and good lord! It starts with her flirting with him by lecturing him about feminism while wearing a really revealing outfit. He's openly hostile and patronizing which . . . she seems to like? But the writer can't seem to decide what kind of human she is, so she's also a brilliant programmer/hacker and sassy and sexy and harboring a dark secret (my money is on her being a werewolf or vampire). The movie repeatedly goes to the well of the hitman doing something violent, her looking turned on instead of scared, and him being surprised that she's turned on. Over and over.

The plot also includes three hapless morons who end up with the dead body and realize that they're being framed for the murder. These are actually the best actors in the film (I think David Hull is really funny as White Josh on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), and they also get the best lines ("Why couldn't he have killed someone small, like Elijah Wood?"). But they are so stupid and the movie has to tie itself in knots to explain why they don't just call the police from the get go.

I'd hope this one would be at least passable, but unless something fantastic happens in the final twenty minutes, it doesn't even clear that bar.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am

I watched A Bay of Blood a few years back, almost hated it, revisited it last year and changed my opinion to one of grudging appreciation, if not actual enjoyment. Don't try to sell me on this one, I've made up my mind.

Someone's should try to sell me on Lisa and the Devil, though. I've only seen it once and liked how it looked but didn't take away much else.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am

Diabolique (1955) - 9/10

This film certainly made a huge impact on me. I think the reason this movie works so well is because it's slow and drawn out. It makes it feel like Christina is stuck in a never ending nightmare. I felt her distress throughout the picture, and this constant slow-burning tension is part of what makes the climax so terrifying. I initially wasn't sure what to make of the ending, because I thought the film went a bit overboard, but considering that the film feels like a never ending nightmare, I'll say that the ending is more than fitting.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:53 am

Rock wrote:
I watched A Bay of Blood a few years back, almost hated it, revisited it last year and changed my opinion to one of grudging appreciation, if not actual enjoyment. Don't try to sell me on this one, I've made up my mind.

Someone's should try to sell me on Lisa and the Devil, though. I've only seen it once and liked how it looked but didn't take away much else.

I think it’s a fascinating project in that Bava is allowed to go into full blown surreal dream logic using the trappings of Gothic horror and going off the deep end. The aesthetic and style is the main apparel but it’s got at atmosphere to its portrayal of a purgatorial experience that’s unique and holds up to repeat viewings and examination. Savalas gets to chew all the scenaery and gives what is quite possibly my favorite portrayal of

Satan

Committed to celluloid. Also, watch Bay of Blood again. It’ll grow more. I’ll sell you what I want!

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:00 am

EYES OF FIRE

So JJ and Crumb have been talking about this one for a couple of years, but my first two attempts at watching it resulted in me falling asleep within 10 minutes. This is not a criticism, as lots of my favorite movies have this effect on the viewer. Anyhow, given my "80s October" theme I was determined to do it right this time and this one is indeed a winner. I know nothing about it or its director so I'm not sure why this is not available outside of a cruddy youtube post, but it's worth seeking out for fans of this sort of thing (witches/pagans/trees with people faces)

:up: :up: :up:

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:26 am

I have seen horror so far:

Murder Party (2007): Saulnier's first is a bit rough around the edges, but it works as both comedy (yeah, it sticks with some things that future films would continue) and as horror. Fun beginning.

The Devil and Father Amorth (2018): The H is silent, but although I have no issue with most films taking creative license, I find that documentaries are the exception. Although I was fine with the exorcism that it depicted on screen, I felt like it was digitally enhanced vocally. By the time it reached its end, I was done with this.

Director's Cut (2016): Herbert Blount (Penn Jillette) is a crowdfunder who becomes enamored of Missi Pyle and distraught by the bad B-movie thriller he's paid for so he decides to kidnap her and put her in the director's cut. Penn's narration is amusing at times and Teller does show up, but it ran out of fun by the final reel. As far as rogue filmmakers who secretly shoot stars in their films go, stick with Bowfinger. And despite what Amazon Prime tells you, the film is closer to 83 minutes than 93. ;)

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 2492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 50  Next