It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 2418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

"HOW I SPENT MY OCTOBER", by Captain Terror

First-timers:

The Lost Boys (1987)
Prom Night (1980)
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)
Final Exam (1981)
Child's Play (1988)
House II: the Second Story (1987)
When a Stranger Calls (1979)
Pumpkinhead (1988)
Eyes of Fire (1983)
My Bloody Valentine (1981)
The Last Horror Film (1982)
The Gate (1987)
Demon Wind (1990)
The Prowler (1981)
The Hitcher (1986)
Cat's Eye (1985)
Don't Go in the Woods (1981)
Scarecrows (1988)
The Devonsville Terror (1983)
In a Glass Cage (1986)
The Boogey Man (1980)
Blood Rage (1987)
The Final Terror (1983)
Terror Train (1980)
Firestarter (1984)
The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
Slumber Party Massacre II (1987)
Trick or Treats (1982)
Pet Sematary (1989)
The Mutilator (1984)
Sorority House Massacre (1986)
Dead & Buried (1981)
Scared to Death (1980)
Cutting Class (1989)
Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
Night of the Comet (1984)
Sole Survivor (1984)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Cujo (1983)
Don't Go in the House (1979)
Frightmare (1983)

Rewatches:

House (1986)
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) - saw this one in a theater

-----------------

Although I sort of exaggerated my grumpiness for comedic effect throughout the month, most of those were at least fun to sit through even if they were terrible. (Except for Slumber Party II. That movie can bite me so hard.)

If I were asked to single one out for more attention, I'd recommend Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II. It's got a weird Phantasm-ish nightmare vibe and the climax of the film is straight-up EC Comics territory.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:21 am

ps-- According to Letterboxd I watched 46 titles this month. There was no Guess the Gif contest, so I had to beat Takoma at something.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:22 am

We were competing and I didn't know it?!?!

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:17 am

Avenged is one of those movies that I've almost watched a ton of times. Being the shallow creature that I am, I quite like the poster. I also found the plot description (a murdered woman is possessed by the spirit of a Native American warrior who uses her body for revenge) intriguing.

This is one of those movies with some pretty stark pros and cons. The more detailed plot description is that a young woman (who happens to be deaf and mute) is driving long distance to visit her boyfriend. While passing through a small desert town she is kidnapped by a repulsive group of racist men who rape and then kill her. A Native American healer discovers her body and attempts to revive her, but the angry spirit of a murdered Native American chief melds with her and reanimates her body. The woman's boyfriend comes to town to look for her, right as the reanimated woman begins brutally executing the men responsible for her death.

To start with the positive, the performances are pretty good. The actor who plays the woman's boyfriend is probably the best asset that the film has in terms of grounding the action in some emotion. Amanda Smith doesn't get many opportunities to emote, but she gives a committed physical performances, and I really liked some of her almost dancer-like moves during the action sequences. As for the deaths themselves, they are pretty satisfying and bloody. This is one of the rare revenge-type films that keeps the victimization of the woman mostly off-screen. Brace yourselves--she isn't even seen undressed. While I had some issues with the film, I appreciated the ratio of victimization to revenge.

The main negative of the film is that the villains are pretty one-dimensional. They are rapists and racists and . . . yup. The problem is that we spend a lot of time with them, and at a certain point for me it just got tiring. Too much of just listening to them brag about having raped the woman and then saying some racist garbage. It feels like filler but it's so darn unpleasant. There's an attempt at nuance between them by having the trope of the "nice one"--you know, the guy in the group who looks sad as a woman is gang-raped and butchered. This character doesn't get to do much, and it's not quite enough to distinguish the characters. They are hateable, but not in a fun way. There's also the problem of the Native American revenge being taken via a pretty young white woman. The Native American healer is mostly there to serve as an exposition machine, without much thought to his take on events.

This one definitely had some nice moments, both in the horror and the drama. I liked some of the ways that they portrayed the woman's body decomposing as the film went on.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:19 am

Captain Terror wrote:
(Except for Slumber Party II. That movie can bite me so hard.)

:x

:rotten:

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
The use of "balling" as slang for sex (and SO MANY variations--"balling", "getting balled", "balled") cost the film a whole star. I'm not even kidding.

I dunno. I don't think it's any worse than similar terms like "banging", "boning", "dogging". It's all pretty fratty to me.

The one term that does make me queasy, and will invariably cause me to lose a bit of respect for anyone that uses it, has to be "porking". I don't even want to know what those people are into.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:35 am

Rock wrote:
The Face of Another *

Interesting to consider this as horror, it does have some similarities to Seconds (which is already only tangentially horror), but I'd place it closer to Persona (which I have also seen, occasionally, listed as "horror") and Abre Los Ojos (which I have not).

Great film though.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:41 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I dunno. I don't think it's any worse than similar terms like "banging", "boning", "dogging". It's all pretty fratty to me.

I had a deep, almost visceral reaction to hearing it over and over again. Much like Christian Bale's accent in Harsh Times it made me want to stop watching the film.

It's also a term that I've never heard used before that way, and so hearing it from different characters gave those lines of dialogue an artificial feel.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Interesting to consider this as horror, it does have some similarities to Seconds (which is already only tangentially horror), but I'd place it closer to Persona (which I have also seen, occasionally, listed as "horror") and Abre Los Ojos (which I have not).

Great film though.

I threw that in there only because I was expecting something closer to Eyes Without a Face and watched it for that reason. It doesn't really have the horrific elements of that or Seconds, but I do think its ideas about identity and some of the visuals unsettle on some level.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
"HOW I SPENT MY OCTOBER", by Captain Terror

First-timers:

The Lost Boys (1987)
House II: the Second Story (1987)

Love these.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:18 pm

Dunno. When I hear ballin' and balling, I think of We Get High by Jim Jones. :?

Getting ready to finish Coraline and The Vault. One was fairly good, the other was decent to start.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 am

Horrorfest 2018

I saw 8 films in August/ September, 34 in October.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:52 am

Incident in a Ghostland, from Pascal "Martyrs" Laugier, is a bit wonky at times but is definitely worth watching. Not as brutal as Martyrs (on-screen anyway), but disturbing/heartbreaking nonetheless. Can't say too much for fear of spoiling it. Again, there's some wtf moments that will make or break one's enjoyment of the film, and there's a couple of things I found problematic that I would've handled differently, but the end result is idiosyncratic enough to merit your time. And there's a nice message in there about sisterly loyalty that sort of offsets the melancholy. I think Rumpled liked this one too?

I guess I should address that an accident on set resulted in one of the actresses receiving a horrific gash on her face, for which she later sued the production for negligence. (I've seen the picture. *shudder*) I can't find any updates from later than March, so I'm not sure how that played out. Just thought I'd mention it in case you'd prefer to skip the film on principle.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 pm

November is a gorgeous movie. Approach it with as little knowledge as possible and embrace the weirdness. In terms of tone it occasionally reminded me of a Svankmajer film; simultaneously dark and funny. Highly recommended, and it's on Prime.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:43 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

November is a gorgeous movie. Approach it with as little knowledge as possible and embrace the weirdness. In terms of tone it occasionally reminded me of a Svankmajer film; simultaneously dark and funny. Highly recommended, and it's on Prime.

Have you seen A Page of Madness? If not, I think you'd really dig it.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:37 am

So Hulu has launched this new series called Into the Dark. The idea is that they release a horror film every month that ties into a holiday from that month.

The first film was called The Body and it revolved around Halloween. Frankly I thought it was pretty bad and I didn't even finish it.

Today I decided to check out the latest episode. It's called Flesh and Blood and it's centered on Thanksgiving (though only very tenuously).

This film follows a young woman named Kim whose mother was murdered around Thanksgiving. A year later, Kim is agoraphobic and depressed, living with her father (Dermot Mulroney). As the holiday grows closer, Kim begins to suspect that something is not right about her father, and she has to sort out reality from her own paranoia.

This film wasn't great, but it was leaps and bounds better than The Body. To start with, both Dermot Mulroney and Diana Silvers (who plays Kim) are good actors and they are both clearly actually trying. (The actors in The Body had a challenging script and not enough skill to elevate it). There are a few lines that are clunkers, but overall the film flows pretty well.

In terms of the structure of the movie, it actually didn't go the way I expected. Kim confronts her father pretty early on in the film, and the movie is a lot about their relationship and the way that the dad has convinced himself that he is a good father. Instead of an hour of people thinking Kim is crazy and not listening to her, it's more about Kim's very real fears that she will either be locked up in an asylum or that she won't be able to live without the structure of her life with her father.

I also appreciated how little violence is on screen until the final act. It's really about Kim's point of view and her suspicions of what is happening. But there's a sort of "transfer" of unease, because there are so many scenes where the father is physically handling Kim in ways that evoke someone sexually or physically assaulting someone (such as one scene where he holds her down on her bed because she's having an "episode"). The violence that did crop up in the final act was effective and bloody.

The only thing that really bothered me was a sequence where the police come to the house. The police work is sloppy (they interview Kim within hearing distance of her father, one officer gives Kim a card if she needs to talk . . . right in front of her father) and exactly the wrong way to help someone who might be experiencing domestic abuse. It's one of those moments that's clearly written for plot/script purposes, and it's a bit annoying.

This wasn't a great film, but I think it's worth checking out and I'd recommend it. I'll be interested to see if the next film is good--it's directed by Nacho Vigalondo who directed Predators.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:26 am

Nacho did Timecrimes, Nimrod Antal did Predators, IIRC.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 am

DaMU wrote:

Nacho also did Colossal! I believe it’s his best film from what I’ve seen. He also has the best short in VHS Viral

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:57 am

DaMU wrote:

Whups!

Well, still excited.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:01 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Have you seen A Page of Madness? If not, I think you'd really dig it.

I haven't but I jotted it down when you mentioned it last month. Sounded up my alley.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:28 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Nacho also did Colossal! I believe it’s his best film from what I’ve seen. He also has the best short in VHS Viral

It's easily my favorite of his and was one of my very favorite films from last year. It's sort of incredible how well it hangs together.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:48 am

DaMU wrote:

It's easily my favorite of his and was one of my very favorite films from last year. It's sort of incredible how well it hangs together.

Indeed. I liked but had issues with Timecrimes. It seemed a tad mean spirited and self defeating, while being well made and interesting. And primarily just made me want to watch Triangle.

Colossal, however, was unique, well made, well realized and proved to me that Jason Sudeikis actually deserves his fame because wow, what a performance. I’d always found him affable enough but not enough to understand his success. In this, he gave one of the better, darker performances I’ve seen from a comedic actor since Robin Williams passed away.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:10 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Indeed. I liked but had issues with Timecrimes. It seemed a tad mean spirited and self defeating, while being well made and interesting. And primarily just made me want to watch Triangle.

This is exactly how I felt about Timecrimes, like exactly. And I've always felt like the minority in not loving it. The entire arc of the way that the
female victim--who I believe is never even given a name--
is treated just angered me. I know that you're meant to be angry at the protagonist, but I found that the feeling extended to the film as a whole.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 am

Takoma1 wrote:

This is exactly how I felt about Timecrimes, like exactly. And I've always felt like the minority in not loving it. The entire arc of the way that the
female victim--who I believe is never even given a name--
is treated just angered me. I know that you're meant to be angry at the protagonist, but I found that the feeling extended to the film as a whole.

The drama just felt a tad self defeating in that it pushed boundaries to evoke a reaction but was wholly sustained by the protagonist having to do a horrible thing just so the plot wouldn't develop a paradox rather than it feeling motivated by any discernable theme or character traits.

On a separate note, I watched Berserrk, to polish off my Crawford horror, and Dracula's Daughter, because my Universal Complete Monster set came in about a week late, and I couldn't bear to focus on the election last night. I found both to be appropriately diverting and not without a good deal of charm. Wouldn't praise them but they were perfect for the intention of distraction for my watch.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 pm

Just finished Coraline. Darn good nightmare fuel that is a bit underrated in the genre of horror animation.

Going through The Vault now. It's decent (idea of having something scary being locked up in a bank is somewhat clever), but it spends too much time with James Franco looking vaguely ominious.

Thoughts on either one?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Just finished Coraline. Darn good nightmare fuel that is a bit underrated in the genre of horror animation.

Going through The Vault now. It's decent (idea of having something scary being locked up in a bank is somewhat clever), but it spends too much time with James Franco looking vaguely ominious.

Thoughts on either one?

Love Coraline and watched it in 3D this horrorthon. I loved it more than the first time.

The Vault is nothing but missed opportunities. The ingredients and premise are there and there is a good cast but it focuses on the wrong elements, has a weird "Franco was only on set one day so we filmed all his scenes first" structure and it can't scare to save its life.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:46 am

Further into The Vault and you're definitely right on the missed opportunities. It's like they tried to merge two different films (bank robbery, horror) in the editing room and failed badly.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:23 am

Apex Predator wrote:

Thoughts on either one?

I loved the film adaptation of Coraline. I would highly, highly recommend the book. The film captures its spirit, but the book has some creepy elements that would be too intense for a kids' film (but that are okay in the context of a YA book). It's a short text--you could read the whole thing in like an hour.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:40 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Colossal, however, was unique, well made, well realized and proved to me that Jason Sudeikis actually deserves his fame because wow, what a performance. I’d always found him affable enough but not enough to understand his success. In this, he gave one of the better, darker performances I’ve seen from a comedic actor since Robin Williams passed away.

I didn't respond to this soon enough, but yes yes yes to Sudeikis. I always liked him on SNL (he was one of those utility players who could play straight man to Melissa McCarthy or get utterly ridiculous with Will Forte), but Colossal floored me with how good a job he did communicating that range of emotions. If he wanted to become a dramatic actor only, he could do it. Good call on the Williams comparison.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Apex Predator wrote:

Yup.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:33 am

Ok, who failed to tell me about The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina?
Who dropped the ball?
Was it you? You, Lieutenant Weinberg?

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:09 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Avenged is one of those movies that I've almost watched a ton of times. Being the shallow creature that I am, I quite like the poster. I also found the plot description (a murdered woman is possessed by the spirit of a Native American warrior who uses her body for revenge) intriguing.

I'm sold :up:

You may want to check out Blood Beat (1983) where a Wisconsin women shares a telepathic link with a resurrected samurai warlord and orgasms every time he kills ;)

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 am

Wooley wrote:
Who dropped the ball?

Ahem:

Takoma wrote:

Are any of you watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? It's much more horror-driven than I expected. As in, ooooookaaayyyy that lady just took a pair of scissors to the neck! Aside from this weird "vaseline on the lens" blurry camera thing that they have going, it's pretty good and there's some neat, spooky imagery.

Rumpled wrote:

I'm sold :up:

You may want to check out Blood Beat (1983) where a Wisconsin women shares a telepathic link with a resurrected samurai warlord and orgasms every time he kills ;)

Excellent. I love a good documentary.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:48 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Ahem:

I don't think you're hearing me. Someone should have grabbed me by the ear, marched me over to the sofa, and put this on. That's how right in my dead-center this is so far. I mean, you guys are supposed to be my internet-friends.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am

Wooley wrote:
I don't think you're hearing me. Someone should have grabbed me by the ear, marched me over to the sofa, and put this on. That's how right in my dead-center this is so far. I mean, you guys are supposed to be my internet-friends.

Well, to be honest,
I think it's okay but not great. I think it stumbles trying to provide representation and ends up doing things like making a straight white girl the hero of a story involving a trans/gay/masculine/nonfeminine person being assaulted. And I don't find Sabrina herself all that interesting.

Lucy Davis is Hilda is the best, though.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 am

Suspiria (2018)

Well, if you're gonna throw absolutely everything that made an original the "classic" that it is out the window, in fact, almost try to do the exact opposite, you could do a lot worse than to make this film.
This is a good movie. I'm glad I saw it and I'm glad I saw it in the theater. And I will definitely watch it again.
For what it's worth, here's what it does right:
1. It gives the film a comprehensible and legitimately strong narrative.
2. It rewrites the story in a way that departs significantly from the original, but also adds depth to it.
3. It approaches the violence inherent to the story from a completely different and startling angle.
4. It has, to me, some jaw-dropping scenes.
5. It pays its homage to the original in much subtler and more clever ways than we are perhaps accustomed to seeing (ahem, Halloween, ahem).
6. It has Tilda Swinton (Seriously, this cannot be understated. Those of you who've seen Only Lovers Left Alive, Michael Clayton, or probably any film she's ever done feel me).
And that's just off the top of my head, fresh out.
I tried to think what I would compare it to, tonally, and I think there is a mix of a little bit of Let The Right One In, Berberian Sound Studio, Only Lovers Left Alive, but honestly, there's something about this film that made me feel like nothing is quite like it.
As I said elsewhere, this was absolutely not the Suspiria remake I wanted, but I sure ain't mad it's the one I got.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Well, to be honest,
I think it's okay but not great. I think it stumbles trying to provide representation and ends up doing things like making a straight white girl the hero of a story involving a trans/gay/masculine/nonfeminine person being assaulted. And I don't find Sabrina herself all that interesting.

Lucy Davis is Hilda is the best, though.

Well, maybe I'll like it less as I keep watching. I actually like this particular straight white girl a lot (if you're talking about Sabrina, I really like her character and the actor). But maybe I won't when I get to the context you're talking about.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:09 am

Wooley wrote:
Well, maybe I'll like it less as I keep watching. I actually like this particular straight white girl a lot (if you're talking about Sabrina, I really like her character and the actor). But maybe I won't when I get to the context you're talking about.

I like the actress a LOT. I find the character herself kind of bland. I think she's a bit of a Mary Sue. And I keep finding myself comparing her to Buffy, and feel like she just pales in comparison in that regard. Also, I don't like the ham-fisted attempt to portray her as a horror movie fan, especially in the handful of scenes where she's lecturing other people about the meaning of different films. I mean, teenagers in real life speak with unearned authority all the time, but the show actually seems to think that she knows what she's talking about and uses those scenes to up her "cool" cred.

I watched through the fifth episode (well, about 15 minutes into the fifth episode) and just stopped. I'll probably finish it at some point. I know quite a few people who are really enjoying watching it and I think that it has a lot of really good stuff going for it, like its supporting cast, some of the imagery (like the puppet monster in the maze), and a decent central conflict.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:19 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I like the actress a LOT. I find the character herself kind of bland. I think she's a bit of a Mary Sue. And I keep finding myself comparing her to Buffy, and feel like she just pales in comparison in that regard. Also, I don't like the ham-fisted attempt to portray her as a horror movie fan, especially in the handful of scenes where she's lecturing other people about the meaning of different films. I mean, teenagers in real life speak with unearned authority all the time, but the show actually seems to think that she knows what she's talking about and uses those scenes to up her "cool" cred.

I watched through the fifth episode (well, about 15 minutes into the fifth episode) and just stopped. I'll probably finish it at some point. I know quite a few people who are really enjoying watching it and I think that it has a lot of really good stuff going for it, like its supporting cast, some of the imagery (like the puppet monster in the maze), and a decent central conflict.

Well, I like the horror-movie lecture stuff because of the audience it's aimed at. This is not made for sophisticates like you and me per se, I'm just really enjoying the vibe.
However, you certainly make me wanna slow my roll.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 am

Wooley wrote:
Suspiria (2018)

Well, if you're gonna throw absolutely everything that made an original the "classic" that it is out the window, in fact, almost try to do the exact opposite, you could do a lot worse than to make this film.
This is a good movie. I'm glad I saw it and I'm glad I saw it in the theater. And I will definitely watch it again.
For what it's worth, here's what it does right:
1. It gives the film a comprehensible and legitimately strong narrative.
2. It rewrites the story in a way that departs significantly from the original, but also adds depth to it.
3. It approaches the violence inherent to the story from a completely different and startling angle.
4. It has, to me, some jaw-dropping scenes.
5. It pays its homage to the original in much subtler and more clever ways than we are perhaps accustomed to seeing (ahem, Halloween, ahem).
6. It has Tilda Swinton (Seriously, this cannot be understated. Those of you who've seen Only Lovers Left Alive, Michael Clayton, or probably any film she's ever done feel me).
And that's just off the top of my head, fresh out.
I tried to think what I would compare it to, tonally, and I think there is a mix of a little bit of Let The Right One In, Berberian Sound Studio, Only Lovers Left Alive, but honestly, there's something about this film that made me feel like nothing is quite like it.
As I said elsewhere, this was absolutely not the Suspiria remake I wanted, but I sure ain't mad it's the one I got.

Hmmmm, I might have to see this.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:36 am

Rock wrote:
Hmmmm, I might have to see this.

I don't want to oversell it, and the CGI didn't always make me happy, but I was kinda stunned by some of this movie.
I mean, I knew it was probably gonna be good, because it has Tilda Swinton in it, but I thought it would just not satisfy me.
But damn. There are some scenes.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:45 am

Wooley wrote:
Well, I like the horror-movie lecture stuff because of the audience it's aimed at. This is not made for sophisticates like you and me per se, I'm just really enjoying the vibe.
However, you certainly make me wanna slow my roll.

If you're liking it, then stick with it. The general tone and pace of the episodes seems to hew pretty close to the first episode, which you liked. There's plenty to enjoy: the interpretation of the character of Salem, the character of Ambrose, the fact that there's a girl named Dorcas and no one says anything about that, etc.

I also just watched Riverdale last year, and generally speaking I'm a little burned out on the whole "we took a childhood thing and made it dark!!!" thing. Actually, after I stopped watching this version of Sabrina, I've found myself watching some of the old 90s sitcom version.

And to quote a poster I saw online: If I have to choose between a Sabrina whose family might want to cut her soul out of her body, and a Sabrina who got careless with her magic and is now addicted to pancakes, I'll take the version with the pancakes.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
I'm a little burned out on the whole "we took a childhood thing and made it dark!!!" thing.

This was pretty much my impression of it.

Takoma1 wrote:
I'll take the version with the pancakes.

Now here's a maple syrup subplot I can get behind.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

If you're liking it, then stick with it. The general tone and pace of the episodes seems to hew pretty close to the first episode, which you liked. There's plenty to enjoy: the interpretation of the character of Salem, the character of Ambrose, the fact that there's a girl named Dorcas and no one says anything about that, etc.

I also just watched Riverdale last year, and generally speaking I'm a little burned out on the whole "we took a childhood thing and made it dark!!!" thing. Actually, after I stopped watching this version of Sabrina, I've found myself watching some of the old 90s sitcom version.

And to quote a poster I saw online: If I have to choose between a Sabrina whose family might want to cut her soul out of her body, and a Sabrina who got careless with her magic and is now addicted to pancakes, I'll take the version with the pancakes.

Ha! The moment she said it, I was like, is there a quip here or something?"
I hear what you're saying, I watch very little television so this will be kinda the first of its kind for me. I tried to watch Pretty Little Liars because I happened to catch their Halloween episode one year and thought the whole show was gonna be like that, but when I started from the beginning I only lasted maybe 3-5 episodes.
If you need a palate cleanser of 90s pancakes, I can't fault you.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Wooley wrote:
Who dropped the ball?

Kiernan Shipka is wooden AF, which is difficult as she's the lead.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:02 pm

I thought the new Suspiria had one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a horror movie, and the other two and a half hours varied from "ok" to "slow nonsens". Still worth checking out, especially since most people are completely loving it. I gave it 3 stars out of 5.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:43 pm
Profile WWW

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

Kiernan Shipka is wooden AF, which is difficult as she's the lead.

Oh man, I feel literally the exact opposite. She is the charisma that carries everything.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 am

Slentert wrote:
I thought the new Suspiria had one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a horror movie, and the other two and a half hours varied from "ok" to "slow nonsens". Still worth checking out, especially since most people are completely loving it. I gave it 3 stars out of 5.

I'm not sure which one you're talking about, it had THREE scenes I thought were one of the best I've ever seen in a horror movie.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 am

I'm talking about the scene where

Dakota Johnson dances the lead role during a rehearsal and seemingly kills another girl (I believe she is called Olga) with her movements

That was a very chilling scene. And of course there were some people laughing loudly during that, because someone gets hurt and that's funny I guess... Sometimes horror audiences can be the worst.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:07 am
Profile WWW

Takoma1 wrote:

Although I hadn't watched a lot of Sabrina, I did fairly recently see this episode.

I think when it comes to the "Your childhood shows are now dark" subgenre, I think it's one of those things you have to be in the mood for. Presently, I'm not, but I could change my mind.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 2418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next