It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 2993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 60  Next
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

DaMU wrote:
Poltergeist - Fantastic, but this does not feel like Hooper directed it.
Lifeforce - Some good bits but dull overall.

Lifeforce is only good for Jean Luc Picard and LOTS of full frontal nudity.

LOTS.

The long-standing rumor, which you've probably heard, is that El Spielbergo directed pretty much the entire thing but put Hooper's name on it. Seems to be confirmed here by the first assistant camera:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/poltergeist-steven-spielberg-director-conspiracy-theory-confirmed-tobe-hooper-a7846651.html

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:39 am

Death Proof wrote:

Hell yeah.

Hmmm methinks your thinking of bishop of battle Nightmares (1983) which is great

But this is a seedy aussie video nasty one = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_LorcJUJM

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:59 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
The House That Jack Built (2018) - 5/10

This film is largely about von Trier himself. Controversies about how von Trier treats women in his films has been brought to attention in the past. This film appears to be a response to those accusations. The first four of the five incidents are primarily focused with killing women. Certain ways he handles those scenes such as having one of his female victims come off as disagreeable and insulting or remarking "Why is it always the man's fault?" (implying that the women were asking for it) seem highly questionable at first glance. One could call this film misogynistic, but the fifth incident serves as a counter point to that criticism. If the film is misogynistic, how can you explain the addition of the final act? Personally, I don't think this film goes too far, neither in its portrayal of its violence nor its implications regarding the nature of the killings. Rather, my issue with this film is how its less focused on the characters and more so on von Trier himself. Jack isn't a particularly interesting or memorable character, because he feels less like a real person and more so like a piece of evidence von Trier's trying to use to defend himself from backlash. Many characters feel this way. Certain banal scenes such as Jack explaining to Verge how he kills women as well as men does nothing but scream von Trier. I'm not a fan of using yourself as the subject matter of your films, because, while it's certainly unique, it can also indicate a lack of other various crucial story elements which can either make or break the film depending on who's watching it. I don't think this film is without its strengths though, because I think the final 20 minutes are actually pretty interesting. Also, in addition to some cool technical aspects, the cinematography is quite excellent. As a whole, however, this film is pretty underwhelming.
Sounds like you'd probably agree with the excellent AV Club review of it, then: https://film.avclub.com/lars-von-trier- ... 1831047855

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Stu wrote:
Sounds like you'd probably agree with the excellent AV Club review of it, then: https://film.avclub.com/lars-von-trier- ... 1831047855

Thanks for linking it. It was really interesting and it echoes a lot of my thoughts.

From what I heard, Nymphomaniac suffers from a similar problem.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:23 am

Lifeforce is awesome.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:43 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Rock, I think Gore Gore Girls is more your kind of HGL flick. It's not boring like the majority of his flicks seem to be.

I was actually surprised at how much I liked this. I mean, not a lot all things considered, but probably more than anything else I've seen from him (Two Thousand Maniacs! is the only one giving it serious competition). It's pretty misogynistic and crude on a technical level, but the meanness of the affair (both in the humour and the violence) is a strong enough throughline that it's actually a reasonably effective horror movie.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Somehow it did not occur to me, as I watched Assault On Precinct 13 for the first time ever back in September, that Carpenter essentially remade Night Of The Living Dead, merely replacing the "living dead" with L.A. gang-members.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Rock wrote:
I was actually surprised at how much I liked this. I mean, not a lot all things considered, but probably more than anything else I've seen from him (Two Thousand Maniacs! is the only one giving it serious competition). It's pretty misogynistic and crude on a technical level, but the meanness of the affair (both in the humour and the violence) is a strong enough throughline that it's actually a reasonably effective horror movie.

Yup. It's almost like watching a particularly crude joke you'd tell in high school somehow came to life on celluloid. It's appealing for all the wrong reasons but still appealing. And not boring. Not boring needs to be mentioned because HGL made Color Me Blood Red which may actually be categorized as a sedative.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm

I think Rio Bravo was Carpenter's primary inspiration (he credits himself as editor with the name of Wayne's character), but he owned up to being inspired by Night of the Living Dead in a Q&A I saw (at least in terms of what was possible on a low budget).

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:07 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Yup. It's almost like watching a particularly crude joke you'd tell in high school somehow came to life on celluloid. It's appealing for all the wrong reasons but still appealing. And not boring. Not boring needs to be mentioned because HGL made Color Me Blood Red which may actually be categorized as a sedative.

It's funny, because the gore effects are worse than in his other movies I've seen, but how far he goes in some of those gags had me unsettled in ways that those other movies couldn't even touch.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Rock wrote:
I think Rio Bravo was Carpenter's primary inspiration (he credits himself as editor with the name of Wayne's character), but he owned up to being inspired by Night of the Living Dead in a Q&A I saw (at least in terms of what was possible on a low budget).

I do get what the inspiration is, but I feel like the movie plays slightly more like NotLD than RB. The relentless, unspeaking gang-members are just such perfect avatars for Romero's zombies, the precinct for the house, the African-American hero...

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Rock wrote:
It's funny, because the gore effects are worse than in his other movies I've seen, but how far he goes in some of those gags had me unsettled in ways that those other movies couldn't even touch.

I didn't find the gore to be disernably weaker than his other films as they all have pretty middling to poor gore effects. That said, I agree on how far he took it. There's a perverse glee that he takes in playing with the grue and rubbing your face in it that it becomes a different kind of effective, here it's the filmmaker himself that becomes off putting and revolting rather than the comically bad gore.

But ya know. In a way that's not boring.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:21 am

I'm most of the way through a film called The Devil's Mile on Amazon.

It's bad, and not in an interesting way.

Three people (dumb, dumb people) kidnap two schoolgirls as part of a bigger plan to extract large ransom demands. Taking a backroads route to their destination, they end up on a road haunted by . . I don't know . . . electromagnetism? Which turns dead people into zombie-ghosts?

There's not much to say about it, I just wanted it known that I watched it.

Witness me.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am

Takoma1 wrote:
electromagnetism?

You laugh, but few things match the existential terror of knowing you might get zapped if you touch a doorknob without remembering to rub your shoes on the carpet first.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:53 am

Rock wrote:
You laugh, but few things match the existential terror of knowing you might get zapped if you touch a doorknob without remembering to rub your shoes on the carpet first.

I just laugh when the movie keeps cutting to this weird preacher/cult figure talking about electromagnetism. I mean, I build electromagnets with 10 year olds. And none of them has ever turned into a zombie-ghost. Yet.

Also, there's this weird, genuinely funny sequence with a mysterious owner of a gas station. It's like 2 fun minutes in a sea of garbage.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
It's like 2 fun minutes in a sea of garbage.

A sea of garbage...in which you can get zapped! :shock:

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Rock wrote:
A sea of garbage...in which you can get zapped! :shock:

It's all the saline! It's helping to conduct the zombie-ghosts!

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:18 pm

I can't remember, did anybody see The Void and did anybody like it?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Wooley wrote:

I watched it a couple of years ago and I'm struggling to remember anything about it. I even watched a trailer just now and nothing rung a bell. Did I sleep through it or something? Anyhow, I gave it three Letterboxd stars for whatever that's worth (out of 5)

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I watched it a couple of years ago and I'm struggling to remember anything about it. I even watched a trailer just now and nothing rung a bell. Did I sleep through it or something? Anyhow, I gave it three Letterboxd stars for whatever that's worth (out of 5)

Hm. I thought it was a movie with limitations, but that was really trying for something, something it didn't quite achieve, but at times got close, and I think I appreciated it for that.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Wooley wrote:

It felt like a fanfilm of "The Thing meets Hellraiser." It felt like something I should like and it was definitely better than Harbinger Dowm but I just sorta shrugged at it.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Wooley wrote:

Definitely some great atmosphere and imagery but not much more than that.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Anybody seen this movie Braid?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:14 am

Wooley wrote:

The story isn't super great, it's sort of a budget In The Mouth of Madness, but less interesting. But if you like Carpenter-style Lovecraft, you'll very likely find something to love in it. The effects are practical and a cut above what you'd expect from something so not that close from the mainstream.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:27 am

So, Devil's Mile actually had a decent "twist" at the end. It's so much better than the rest of the movie that I have to believe someone came up with the ending and then wrote the film that would lead up to it.

For those interested in the twist but never planning to see the film:

The film is basically a
"trapped in a time loop" film. About two thirds through the film we discover that one of the kidnappers is actually an undercover agent trying to get to the man who is the head of the organization.

After the girls and the other kidnappers are dead, she contacts the lead guy and says "Your prizes are gone, so if you want me, come find me." He does, and takes her hostage in a nearby shack. We get these glimpses of him torturing her, but then realizing that he's trying to get her to remember her fate when she resets the time loop by dying.

He mourns the fact that every time, she starts again ignorant and makes the same dumb mistakes (like suggesting a shortcut) that trap them all in the time loop.

The big twist is that the undercover agent reveals that she actually DOES remember some of the loop each time and that she is willingly throwing herself back into it over and over again (letting him torture and ultimately kill her) so that she can keep HIM hostage in the time loop.

The last shot is him executing her, which reboots the time loop. She "wakes up" in the backseat of the car, smiles at her memories, and asks with fake confusion "Hey, are we lost?".

So I thought it was pretty clever, but it's not enough to make the film anywhere near something I'd recommend.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:53 am

After watching my school district's 30 minute mandated training on reporting and avoiding sexual abuse of students (please imagine the horror of hearing a list of abusive sex acts, read by a voice that sounds not quite human and not quite like a computer), I WANTED to just watch an episode of Project Runway, but then the main guest judge was no other than Ivanka Trump. Swell!!

So now I'm watching Beyond the Gates. I feel like ya'll said it was not that good, but the bar tonight is that it just has to be better than Ivanka Trump's beatifically smug expression.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:52 am

Takoma1 wrote:
After watching my school district's 30 minute mandated training on reporting and avoiding sexual abuse of students (please imagine the horror of hearing a list of abusive sex acts, read by a voice that sounds not quite human and not quite like a computer), I WANTED to just watch an episode of Project Runway, but then the main guest judge was no other than Ivanka Trump. Swell!!

So now I'm watching Beyond the Gates. I feel like ya'll said it was not that good, but the bar tonight is that it just has to be better than Ivanka Trump's beatifically smug expression.
Well, if that doesn't help wash the taste of her image out of your mouth, I know that this always gives me a laugh whenever I'm in the mood for some good ol' Ivanka mockery:

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:09 pm

"When Whoopi Goldberg sighs at you, you know you're in trouble."

Well, Beyond the Gates was better than listening to an Ivanka Trump fashion critique, but just barely. It has some of that 80s look (and color palate), but ultimately felt pretty empty.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 pm

Wooley wrote:
Anybody seen this movie Braid?

I'll be there as soon as it's avalible ;)

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:09 am

Watching one of those horror movies where all the male actors are like 5-10 years older than they should be, and all the female actors are trying to break into film or whatever and have clearly been hired for their willingness to spend long periods of time in underwear being filmed at pervy angles to show off their chests. Let it be known that one hour and three minutes into this film we finally have a female character on screen who is fully dressed.

Also, I honestly can't tell if there are two male leads who look a lot like each other, or if it's one actor and he keeps styling his hair slightly differently. Obviously I could use the IMDb to figure this out, but wondering if I'm watching one person or two people is one of the only things keeping me interested.

Ha! The fully dressed actress is oscillating between some pseudo-British accent and an American accent. Also, she just used the phrase "certain kind of skillset."

WHOA . . . this film just went in a very weird and unexpected direction.

I'm not sure what to say about this film, except that it's been 60 minutes of jiggle-jiggle shots of women, scenes of a man manhandling them and killing some of them. But now I'm being asked to understand that the real evil is female vanity.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:16 am

Pulled a Visitor Q/Gozu double feature. It's a real Kagemusha/Ran relationship between the two. I know they're "messed up" movies but Miike has such a wonderfully absurd and dark sense of humor that they never felt particularly heavy. I've heard the vibe of Gozu be described as Lynch meets Monty Python and I think that works. Q is like a sadistic, dark comic parody of Ozu family drama.

I can't recommend them except to the most desensitized viewers but I think for those with a most morbid sense of humor.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:58 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Watching one of those horror movies where all the male actors are like 5-10 years older than they should be, and all the female actors are trying to break into film or whatever and have clearly been hired for their willingness to spend long periods of time in underwear being filmed at pervy angles to show off their chests. Let it be known that one hour and three minutes into this film we finally have a female character on screen who is fully dressed.

Also, I honestly can't tell if there are two male leads who look a lot like each other, or if it's one actor and he keeps styling his hair slightly differently. Obviously I could use the IMDb to figure this out, but wondering if I'm watching one person or two people is one of the only things keeping me interested.

Ha! The fully dressed actress is oscillating between some pseudo-British accent and an American accent. Also, she just used the phrase "certain kind of skillset."

WHOA . . . this film just went in a very weird and unexpected direction.

I'm not sure what to say about this film, except that it's been 60 minutes of jiggle-jiggle shots of women, scenes of a man manhandling them and killing some of them. But now I'm being asked to understand that the real evil is female vanity.

I am hopeful that you are eventually going to tell us what movie this is?

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Wooley wrote:
I am hopeful that you are eventually going to tell us what movie this is?

It's called All I Need. It's on Amazon Prime and not really worth watching, despite a few pretty shots. Someone on the crew understood light, which is nice, but it only comes through on camera a few times.

I'm working my way through all of the "promising" low budget horror/thrillers I added to my watchlist. Finished one last night that was also pretty bad. Hey, guys! Can you imagine if a guy kidnapped a woman to murder her and then it turned out that SHE was actually the more messed up one? I mean, can you IMAGINE?!

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 pm

After the below-average blahness of All I Need and Anatomy of Monsters (the one whose central premise seemed to be "bitches be crazy!" *shrug*), Under the Bed was a bit of a breath of fresh air, though still not totally up to par.

The film follows a teenager named Neal who is returning home after spending time with his aunt. He returns to his father, new step-mother Angela, and his younger brother Paulie. We learn that Neal's mother died in a fire and that most people suspect that Neal started the fire. We further learn that Neal is convinced that an evil entity is stalking the house, killed his mother, and now continues to be after him. Paulie has also seen the creature, and the two of them begin to plan to kill it.

Unlike my previous two viewings, this one actually had some decent production value: the lighting, sound, effects, and acting were all a big step up. But at its center, the film is a bit nonsensical. The "rules" of the monster feel a bit arbitrary.

I did appreciate that the character of the step-mother was written as a real and caring human being. She is sometimes given "bad guy" moments where she is firm with Neal, but that's because she believes that Neal is responsible for several injuries that Paulie has incurred.

Honestly, this film made me think a bit of another movie I watched (The Disappeared) that centered on brothers and supernatural forces. It wasn't great, but not one to avoid, either.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:40 am

Time to settle the biggest controversy in this thread once and for all.

The Prowler

Not that great.

I mean, it's reasonably competently put together, but outside of Tom Savini's gore effects, there's nothing remotely memorable about it. And considering that The Burning exists, there's really no reason to seek it out except for Savini completists. The killer looks pretty cool, but doesn't get any good stalking scenes and you can probably figure out who it is pretty quickly. The lead actress is alright, but lacks the presence of the better final girls. She kind of looks like P. J. Soles, which made me think about how much I'd rather be watching Halloween, and also a bit like Amy Steel, and I'd probably rather watch Friday the 13th Part 2. The other characters are mostly supposed to be college-aged, so the fact that the actors look thirty-ish is a little less distracting, and I respect that the movie didn't try to pass their old asses off as high schoolers.

So yeah, The Prowler. Not that great.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Rock wrote:
Time to settle the biggest controversy in this thread once and for all.

The Prowler

Not that great.

I mean, it's reasonably competently put together, but outside of Tom Savini's gore effects, there's nothing remotely memorable about it. And considering that The Burning exists, there's really no reason to seek it out except for Savini completists. The killer looks pretty cool, but doesn't get any good stalking scenes and you can probably figure out who it is pretty quickly. The lead actress is alright, but lacks the presence of the better final girls. She kind of looks like P. J. Soles, which made me think about how much I'd rather be watching Halloween, and also a bit like Amy Steel, and I'd probably rather watch Friday the 13th Part 2. The other characters are mostly supposed to be college-aged, so the fact that the actors look thirty-ish is a little less distracting, and I respect that the movie didn't try to pass their old asses off as high schoolers.

So yeah, The Prowler. Not that great.

I like the Prowler about as much as the Burning and consider it to have the superior Savini special effects of the two. If combined somehow, there would be a contender.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:14 pm

The Prowler sucks. :shifty: :D

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 am

The Prowler is fine, but probably not really worth nearly this much discussion. It's there. It exists. It's fine.

The Burning on the other hand is in a completely different league. I would never even consider comparing the two. It would just get embarrassing.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:25 am

crumbsroom wrote:
The Prowler is fine, but probably not really worth nearly this much discussion. It's there. It exists. It's fine.

The Burning on the other hand is in a completely different league. I would never even consider comparing the two. It would just get embarrassing.

Can someone explain to me why? I feel like I missed something. Perhaps it was my mood but I viewed it as a similarly solid and by the numbers slasher with above average gore. I'm willing to rewatch it.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:51 am

I . . . have seen The Prowler.

I remember almost nothing about it. Does someone get killed in a shower? Maybe?

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:11 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I . . . have seen The Prowler.

I remember almost nothing about it. Does someone get killed in a shower? Maybe?

Yes.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:14 am

By the way, fans of The Prowler... what the fuck was this about?

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:26 am

Wooley wrote:
By the way, fans of The Prowler... what the fuck was this about?

Derivative "dream" jump scare inspire by Friday the 13th ripping off Carrie.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Derivative "dream" jump scare inspire by Friday the 13th ripping off Carrie.

You know, I once posted on RT asking about the similarity between the final shots in Carrie, Friday the 13th, and (third film, not a major spoiler)
Deliverance
and everyone acted like I was saying something stupid and crazy.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 am

Takoma1 wrote:

You know, I once posted on RT asking about the similarity between the final shots in Carrie, Friday the 13th, and (third film, not a major spoiler)
Deliverance
and everyone acted like I was saying something stupid and crazy.

The creators of Friday the 13th flat out said that they added that ending because of Carrie. They demanded they have an even scarier ending.

I FEEL like I've seen DePalma say he was influenced by the ending of Deliverance when doing Carrie as well but I feel less certain of that. I know Carrie is the watershed moment for horror doing that sort of ending and it rippled throughout the slasher genre especially, with F13, NoES, the Prowler, and even Pieces having a riff on it, with almost all the filmmakers admitting as much.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

The creators of Friday the 13th flat out said that they added that ending because of Carrie. They demanded they have an even scarier ending.

I FEEL like I've seen DePalma say he was influenced by the ending of Deliverance when doing Carrie as well but I feel less certain of that. I know Carrie is the watershed moment for horror doing that sort of ending and it rippled throughout the slasher genre especially, with F13, NoES, the Prowler, and even Pieces having a riff on it, with almost all the filmmakers admitting as much.

I just happened to watch all three films in pretty close succession to each other, and so the similarity was really striking to me.

By the way, I won't jinx myself just yet, but I believe that I am finally out of low-budget purgatory and have actually discovered something quite worthwhile.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:23 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I hear theres a unintended glimpse of a dudes ballsack in the kayak/canoe scene?

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:42 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I just happened to watch all three films in pretty close succession to each other, and so the similarity was really striking to me.

By the way, I won't jinx myself just yet, but I believe that I am finally out of low-budget purgatory and have actually discovered something quite worthwhile.

Well don't leave us hanging!

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:43 am

Rumpled wrote:
I hear theres a unintended glimpse of a dudes ballsack in the kayak/canoe scene?

Well, yeah. How else are you supposed to pull in an audience?! A brief scrotum shot in a canoe--I mean it's practically a cliche at this point.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Well don't leave us hanging!

I'm finishing it now and I'll write about it in half an hour. Unless it really takes a turn for the worse, this is definitely one I'll recommend to you guys.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:28 am

The Hatred

To begin: there are two movies with this title on Amazon. I am talking about the 2018 film that is 59 minutes long.

At last, I am free of my run of dreadful low-budget horror/thrillers!

I mostly have really nice things to say about this short film, which really took me by surprise.

The film tells the story of a girl whose family is unlucky enough to fall into the murderous path of a band of lost and starving Civil War soldiers. The soldiers come to the house asking for food. Unhappy with what they are given, they take a vote on whether to go back to the house and take what they want. The two soldiers who do not vote yes are killed--one shot in the head and the other hanged. The main character is out of the house collecting firewood and returns to find her sisters dead in the home. Dressed in her dead father's clothing (and looking a little like a half-hearted Babadook cosplay, just sayin') and armed with her father's guns, she set out into the woods where she comes across the hanged man. Her hatred and her prayers mix into something supernatural and the dead soldier comes back to life. United by a desire for vengeance, the pair tracks the group of soldiers.

Just to get them out of the way, here were the criticisms I had of the film. First, much of the story is told via voice-over from the main character as she is being interviewed at some future time having been taken into custody, and the writing gets a little woo-woo and abstract at times. The actress delivers her lines in a creepy not-quite-monotone, but after a while line after line of "Their callousness burned a trail. They were floating in their own deceit. It is the peril of wicked men to think themselves safe," it started to feel like a bit much. Some of the text sounded ominous, but I was like, "What . . . does that even mean?". Also, there's a lot of electronically distorted music as the soundtrack. Mostly it was fine, but a few times they cranked it up just too much for my taste.

But now: the good stuff!

To begin with, I am grateful that the John Law, who made this film (he wrote, directed, edited, composed, and stars as the resurrected soldier) kept it to an hour. So many movies pad their run time to be considered "feature length", and I think this film would have really suffered. Across the board the acting is pretty good. Some are stronger than others, but the central performances are all fine to pretty good, and the actress at the center of the film holds her own pretty well.

The scenery is pretty amazing, with towering trees and a snowy landscape that looks cold and barren. I read in the trivia section that all of the lighting was natural lighting. I believe it, and it looked good.

Mostly, though, this film had a lot of scary, haunting touches that I really liked. When the girl returns to find her sisters slaughtered, she notes "I never did find my mother". Later, when the man is interviewing her, he says some borderline creepy stuff ("I have a granddaughter your age. . . I do have a particular inclination towards those of the female persuasion") and she looks over at a young soldier who is on guard duty. Instead of leering at her to drive home the implicit threat, he looks away, and it's so much more frightening. The film turns on this theme of people doing wicked things or sitting back and letting wicked things happen. There are also just some really cool shots, like someone splitting wood and as the pieces fall apart you see figures appear in the newly empty space. Or when the girl retrieves her father's guns from atop a cabinet, and her hands groping for them are very evocative of a small child trying to reach something on a table or a counter top--just really driving home how young she is. A drop of blood sliding down a body soon after mirrored by a falling tear.

The kills are decent and disturbing. The film takes a more minimal approach to most of them, which is good because bad effects are really distracting.

Also, frankly, this movie earns a whole point for being a revenge story starring a female character and not being about rape.

Just generally I thought that this was a really strong effort. When you look at the credits, the actors and actresses themselves apparently did a chunk of the filming. I was very impressed by it.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 2993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 60  Next