It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:51 pm



Reply to topic  [ 2964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
 Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Image

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
The Spirit of the Beehive (Erice, 1973)


Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

I don't know how "good" The Strangers: Prey at Night is, and characters do dumb things that will probably bug more discerning viewers than myself, but I was already on its side when "Kids in America" played over the opening credits, and the end results proved pleasingly stylish.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
I don't know how "good" The Strangers: Prey at Night is, and characters do dumb things that will probably bug more discerning viewers than myself, but I was already on its side when "Kids in America" played over the opening credits, and the end results proved pleasingly stylish.

The pool scene saves the movie and it rides that high till the end. Everything before that, besides the soundtrack, was fairly terrible. The digital blood was especially bad.


Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:18 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

The pool scene is clearly the highlight, but I think terrible is too strong a word for what precedes it. I like how the movie distills its premise into its most barebones elements, and the visual approach gives it a slight nightmarish quality. I have low enough expectations for these things that a decent musical cue can win me over, but I found it pretty painless even before the third act.

As for movies that are more safely in actual "good" territory, Ouija: Origin of Evil I now realize is not the same movie as Annabelle: Creation, but it's pretty well acted and does the throwback spookytime shtick pretty effectively. (I think I've said before on here that I think horror movies are better now in general than they were 10-15 years ago because of these sensibilities now being in vogue.) I was surprised that the movie ended the way it did (I was expecting something more benign), and the end credits scene fooled me into thinking this was part of the extended universe of a different franchise (but with Lin Shaye stepping in for Samuel Jackson).

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:55 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
The pool scene is clearly the highlight, but I think terrible is too strong a word for what precedes it. I like how the movie distills its premise into its most barebones elements, and the visual approach gives it a slight nightmarish quality. I have low enough expectations for these things that a decent musical cue can win me over, but I found it pretty painless even before the third act.

As for movies that are more safely in actual "good" territory, Ouija: Origin of Evil I now realize is not the same movie as Annabelle: Creation, but it's pretty well acted and does the throwback spookytime shtick pretty effectively. (I think I've said before on here that I think horror movies are better now in general than they were 10-15 years ago because of these sensibilities now being in vogue.) I was surprised that the movie ended the way it did (I was expecting something more benign), and the end credits scene fooled me into thinking this was part of the extended universe of a different franchise (but with Lin Shaye stepping in for Samuel Jackson).


I dunno, man. The way characters only died because they let the Strangers murder them as if they had no survival instinct was frustrating even as a consumer of slashers. Usually victims are caught off guard or are incompetent in self defense but doing nothing was just tedious.

Ouija: OoE is by Mike Flanagan, who has proven to be a horror filmmaker to look out for. His work on Oculus, Hush and Gerald's Game are awesome. His Haunting of Hill House ends poorly but it has some of the best moments he's made and overall is well worth watching.

Have you seen Annabelle: Crration? It's also a prequel much better than it's predecessor from a promising horror director.


Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

I'll co-sign the appraisal of Annabelle: Creation and Ouija: Origin of Evil.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Have you seen Annabelle: Crration? It's also a prequel much better than it's predecessor from a promising horror director.

I have not, but it's been on my radar. (Aspecially now that I know it's not the same movie as Ouija: Origin of Evil. So much for killing two birds with one stone.)

I almost enjoyed The Nun, so I'm open to more entries in the Waniverse.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
I have not, but it's been on my radar. (Aspecially now that I know it's not the same movie as Ouija: Origin of Evil. So much for killing two birds with one stone.)

I almost enjoyed The Nun, so I'm open to more entries in the Waniverse.

I’ve not seen the Nun but I’ve never seen it referred to as superior to Annabelle: Creation so you have that going for ya!

I’ve been wanting to see the Nun for cheap or free but it just hasn’t popped up yet.


Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Like, it's not good, but the performances are decent and the movie has some slight Bava vibes at the beginning (that it never follows through on). If someone threw their gently used Blu-ray out the window and it fell in your lap (assuming either they're driving and you're at home by or you're driving by and they're at home or you're both driving by each other), it might not be a terrible way to kill an afternoon.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
Like, it's not good, but the performances are decent and the movie has some slight Bava vibes at the beginning (that it never follows through on). If someone threw their gently used Blu-ray out the window and it fell in your lap (assuming either they're driving and you're at home by or you're driving by and they're at home or you're both driving by each other), it might not be a terrible way to kill an afternoon.

The movie shops I frequent regularly have blu rays for $3-5. Would I regret buying it for such a price if I just wanted a pulpy horror fix and didn’t regret buying the first Annabelle for such a price?


Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:02 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The movie shops I frequent regularly have blu rays for $3-5. Would I regret buying it for such a price if I just wanted a pulpy horror fix and didn’t regret buying the first Annabelle for such a price?

You probably wouldn't it, but it might be better if someone threw those $3-5 in your lap while one or both of you were driving by each other.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:07 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
You probably wouldn't it, but it might be better if someone threw those $3-5 in your lap while one or both of you were driving by each other.

Usually I’m in the passenger seat when that happens.

Prostitution joke!!!


Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Gross!

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Image

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:15 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Rock wrote:
Gross!

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Image

That’s one dollar. They only rarely have films for $1!!! That’s how I end up owning shit like Anofher Wolf Cop and Friend Request. I could only dream of getting the Nun for such a steal.


Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 2964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.