It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom 
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

I'm a big fan of The Italian Connection. It starts off reasonably entertaining with Mario Adorf being fun and loud and somewhere along the way he goes into overdrive and the movie becomes really damn good. Also apparently Adorf did his own stunts. There is a pretty nice-looking Blu-ray available, so I'm surprised Amazon had a shite transfer.

As for '50s German cinema, I like The Bridge quite a bit. Also, Oxnard was asking about The Indian Tomb, the sequel to The Tiger of Eschnapur, and both of those are worth checking out as well.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Rock wrote:
There is a pretty nice-looking Blu-ray available, so I'm surprised Amazon had a shite transfer.

This was not a blu-ray. It was still cropped standard screen, and looked very pale in color.

Rock wrote:
Also, Oxnard was asking about The Indian Tomb, the sequel to The Tiger of Eschnapur, and both of those are worth checking out as well.

I watched those on TCM some years back, and they were in English so I wasn't aware that they were actually German-produced. Despite Lang's involvement, I didn't find them to stand out from the standard sandal epics of the 50s. Except that snake dance.

Elvis apparently had an affair with Debra Paget. Jesus, what a beautiful coupling.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Rock wrote:
As far as '80s sword-and-sandal fantasy movies go, Lucio Fulci's Conquest is worth a watch. It's not terribly exciting, but has a pretty unique atmosphere.

Oh yeah. They actually ran this on HBO when I was like ten years old and I saw a dude with blue-laser arrows and the nude evil villain-woman and I was just mystified, pulled in for life.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Wooley wrote:
I like Deathstalker myself.
(Given that I actually consider Beastmaster to be a good movie.)

ahahahahaha

sold!

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Despite Lang's involvement, I didn't find them to stand out from the standard sandal epics of the 50s. Except that snake dance.

That's probably a fair assessment, but I found it interesting that the movies made the Maharajah the most complex character despite playing up his foreignness and exoticness. I have a weakness for this kind of material in general, so I was a little biased going in already. The snake dance didn't hurt, obviously.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

ahahahahaha

sold!

Wow.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wow.
Funny that you guys should bring up Deathstalker II in here, since they just talked about it recently on BotW, and found that title drop to be pretty amusing as well, heh:

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:36 am

I can't tell you how happy I was to find this ditty listed in the dredges of Prime. This is one hard to find item in 70s lore. If you're unaware, this political thriller (actually more of a conspiracy satire) mimes the Kennedy assassination (here called 'Keegan') and revels in all of the decade's excess of paranoia and delirium. That in and of itself would make the film of interest. The real nitty is that the film, despite having a stellar cast (Jeff Bridges, John Huston, Elizabeth Taylor, Eli Wallach, Anthony Perkins, Sterling Hayden) and receiving some very glowing reviews, was suspiciously pulled from theaters after a single week, after already having its promotional budget slashed by Embassy Pictures. The film has only rarely shown up on cable or for home release and more often than not could only be found in pirated form for years. Also, the director, William Richert, has been largely out of work since, managing to film only one movie afterward, the above-avaerage Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon (which also involved a very tangled production).

For the conspiracy-minded, this shit is velvet cake. Of course! it must be that the film has been buried and blackballed for getting too close to the truth! It makes it all the more intriguing to watch it and see what kind of toxic truth we're dealing with. As a slight SPOILER, I'll point out for historical interest that the film's novel theory lays the blames squarely on Joe Kennedy, the patriarch with deep mob ties who called in several favors to get his boy into office only to see the defiant young president insist on following his own agenda. Now I know that Joe Kennedy was a straight son of a bitch, but that seems like a steep hill to climb. Also, it's not so much a spoiler when you consider that the role is played by John Huston, who immediately swaggers sinisterly like Noah Cross. It's basically the same character.

Overall, the film is a lot of fun. Lost classic? Not so sure, but I'm glad to have finally seen it.

I must have eaten a special kind of fortune cookie recently, because lo!, as I'm finishing up Winter Kills do I find this in my recommended list. Winter Kills, which shot mostly in 1977, ran into budget trouble, and in order to finish the final 10 minutes or so, William Richert decided to take his two romantic leads (Jeff Bridges, Belinda Bauer) to Germany to produce this low-budget affair in order to obtain financing. This film (also simply titled Success) turns out to be even more obscure and hard to find than Winter Kills, despite making slightly more box office. The film has also been endlessly pirated in a variety of versions (the one I watched was the '83 cut), and never finding its way to home video. Obviously (Obviously!), this is another victim of the Kennedy conspirators.

This film is more of a broad comedy, a corporate satire which has a young Bridges playing an affable happy-go-lucky type of low-level financial clerk who, despite marrying into his boss' family, remains unable to get ahead in business. He decides to create for himself a Hyde alter-ego, modeled on Scarface, and he instantly earns the respect of his collegues and wife that had eluded his previous gentle self. Bridges, always watchable in his youth, gives a typically terrific performance, and Richert's comic sensibilities make a little more sense here. Again, probably not a lost classic, but an enjoyable curio.

Oh, and the story's from Larry Cohen, so....there's also that.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 am

Well, I'm happy to see that crumbs has not been so lonely lately. But lonely films will not watch themselves.

This is the hour-length documentary of the 1977 5 Live Stiffs tour, comprising five of the top acts on the Stiff Records label, including Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Nick Lowe, Wreckless Eric and Larry Wallis. Due to time constraints, we only see about a song each from them, mingled with a lot of backstage and tour bus shenanigans, shot in pure Pennabaker style. Anyone who has any left-over footage, this would make a compelling deluxe release, but for now, this is what we have (along with the live LP souvenir Live Stiffs Live). The edge is still strong with these cunts, With Elvis' menace barely contained behind the reggae spittle of "Watching the Detectives", Ian Dury stalking the halls like a possessed beast (even Elvis instinctively ducks from his path) and Wreckless Eric's giddy inebriated squeal, just happy to be center of the whole wide world. (A poor youtube clip of Eric's song.)

I thought that this might be up the proverbial crumbsroom alley.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:35 am

Jinnistan wrote:

I thought that this might be up the proverbial crumbsroom alley.

I also thought about Crumbcakes during a recent watch, Cathy's Curse. It's been on my watchlist for a while but I don't remember how it got on my radar. It occurred to me that it might've been Crumb that brought it to my attention.

If not, I'd say check it out because it strikes that balance of ineptitude and total commitment to its WTF-ery that seems to appeal to you. It's a poorly-made film that I enjoyed immensely, in other words.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:39 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Well, I'm happy to see that crumbs has not been so lonely lately. But lonely films will not watch themselves.

Having not really been indulging in the drink the last month and a half, I've found myself curiously unmoved to talk about anything. I'm just shuffling around like McMurphy after the lobotomy. Mostly watching well worn movies that I've seen a thousand times before and that have already been talked to death in this world. Who could possibly ever want to read another word about Vertigo, after all? Also probably contributing to this catatonia is the fact that I've been sick for over a week and have been barely able to keep myself awake much past nine o clock, like some geriatric case. My hope is that I will manage to prove I am back amongst the living this weekend, although drinking will still be kept to a minimum, since being inarticulate isn't a terrible amount of fun either.

Regarding the Stiff documentary, I'm a fan of most of those guys. Just bought a Dury record actually, and Nick Lowe's "Jesus of Cool" was a long ago favourite of mine. A bunch of other movies I should seek out have also been mentioned in this thread since I last checked out of it, but it would take so much effort to go into all of them.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

I also thought about Crumbcakes during a recent watch, Cathy's Curse. It's been on my watchlist for a while but I don't remember how it got on my radar. It occurred to me that it might've been Crumb that brought it to my attention.

If not, I'd say check it out because it strikes that balance of ineptitude and total commitment to its WTF-ery that seems to appeal to you. It's a poorly-made film that I enjoyed immensely, in other words.

The great Canadian Cathy's Curse is a perfect example of a film that shows how inspired a director can be with limited technical skills. Would make a nice double feature with The Child, which is similarly awesome stupidity.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
My hope is that I will manage to prove I am back amongst the living this weekend, although drinking will still be kept to a minimum, since being inarticulate isn't a terrible amount of fun either.

Good looking out for yourself, and hang in there.

crumbsroom wrote:
Regarding the Stiff documentary, I'm a fan of most of those guys. Just bought a Dury record actually, and Nick Lowe's "Jesus of Cool" was a long ago favourite of mine.

I wanted to let you know about it because it's a bit under the radar, being released in 2014 but very few people I know knew about it. SStill, it's only an hour, with no extras, and that's a damn shame. I don't know who owns the materials, but there's got to be some great stuff sitting on someone's cutting room floor somewhere.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:13 am

I haven't seen the first Black Magic, so I'm not sure how much this sequel expands upon the lore of a breast milk drinking magician who has an army of zombies that he keeps looking fuckable with the iron nails he drives into their heads, but expanding upon any of this probably would defeat the charm of it all, wouldn't it? I was just here for the trampoline, zombie kung fu anyways.

Opening with a prologue that gives an overview of the films coming themes in a similarly tangentially profound way as that which opens Andrei Rublev, the only difference seems to be in the scope of each movies lesson. While the opening minutes of Rublev seem to give heed to the folly of man's attempts to unshackle himself from the pedestrian limits of reason and imagination, we only can soar so high before a crash, Black Magic 2 instead uses its prologue to give a stern warning to women that when they swim topless in crocodile infested waters, to first remove their jewelry. In essence though, these themes are really two sides of the same coin.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:36 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Good looking out for yourself, and hang in there.

That's the plan, but it is a difficult balancing act remaining in that limbo between total drunken annihilation and the growing soullessness of sobriety. Could have probably used one of those brains that isn't in constant need of chemical tinkering. But where is the fun in that?

Outside of name recognition, I'm not very familiar with Wreckless Eric or Larry Wallis (just have some Pink Fairies stuff). Is there anything worth mining from these guys?

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39 am

All of this Black Magic 2 talk makes me realize it is about time for an Andrei Rublev rewatch. It used to be a near monthly thing for me, but I think it's been years since last I saw it.

Or maybe I should just get my ass around to Nostalgia, which is the only film of his I've continued to neglect all of these years. Maybe I'm afraid of a world without any more Tarkovsky films to explore.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 am

Captain Terror wrote:

"Your mother's a bitch!"

Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Outside of name recognition, I'm not very familiar with Wreckless Eric or Larry Wallis (just have some Pink Fairies stuff). Is there anything worth mining from these guys?

Funny you should mention it because I have nothing by either, but that Wreckless Eric clip made me want to check some of his stuff out. Wallis was OK, but the weakest of the bunch.

I also watched The Complete Truth About De-Evolution, which I was hoping was a Devo documentary but instead turned out to be a collection of their early music videos. I was not disappointed. I remember several of these from the MTV days, when they only slightly the less weirder than Art of Noise.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:57 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Funny you should mention it because I have nothing by either, but that Wreckless Eric clip made me want to check some of his stuff out. Wallis was OK, but the weakest of the bunch.

I also watched The Complete Truth About De-Evolution, which I was hoping was a Devo documentary but instead turned out to be a collection of their early music videos. I was not disappointed. I remember several of these from the MTV days, when they only slightly the less weirder than Art of Noise.

Ah, he did Whole Wide World. I know that. Definitely in my ballpark.

Devo had a couple of years where everything they were involved in was beautiful. Especially jamming with Neil Young.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Especially jamming with Neil Young.

Yeah, they had the video from Human Highway on there as well.

I've been binging on a bunch of musical docs lately, some better than others. A couple of Bowie's, some Stones, Lee Morgan, Coltrane.

I had to watch one doc about Faul McCartney. That shit is so stupid. Some sources claim it's a joke, but there's apparently a lot of believers. Supposed to be cassette recording from George Harrison admitting to the entire ruse. Bitch doesn't sound a thing like George Harrison. It might be the actor who played him Yellow Submarine or something. Just a horrible 'Pool accent. It's all some kind of MI5 conspiracy (which is why Lennon and Harrison were really killed) to keep millions of wet knickers from killing themselves over the tragic truth. I mean, it's kinda funny, in a Rutles-esque way. At one point "George" claims that the '68 trip to India was actually an attempt to use Hindu voodoo to get the spirit of Paul to take possession of his replacement's body. The replacement, Billy, had no idea - "He was so stooopid", says "George", with a clip of '68 Paul looking so whimsical and happy.

I swear if I ever met someone who believes this stuff, I may have to take an assault charge to set the record straight.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:51 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I swear if I ever met someone who believes this stuff, I may have to take an assault charge to set the record straight.

Hey, are you threatening my mother? If you ever happen to find yourself near a condemned house in Whitby Ontario, and see a woman who claims to be telepathically controlling butterflies on her front lawn, I pray you aren't wearing a Beatles T-Shirt as you walk past. Because has she got a story for you.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Hey, are you threatening my mother? If you ever happen to find yourself near a condemned house in Whitby Ontario, and see a woman who claims to be telepathically controlling butterflies on her front lawn, I pray you aren't wearing a Beatles T-Shirt as you walk past. Because has she got a story for you.

I do believe that there was some weird Rosemary's Baby shit involved in Sean Lennon's conception though. I hope that saves my life in this circumstance.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:31 am

Jinnistan wrote:

That one's a lot of fun and at the very least worth it for the slowed down early version of "Secret Agent Man".

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I do believe that there was some weird Rosemary's Baby shit involved in Sean Lennon's conception though. I hope that saves my life in this circumstance.

Considering who his parents were, you would think he would have had a better chance of not being such an insufferable, talentless dork (and, yes, you can count me as a fan of Ono...not sure if that is still considered a bad opinion to have).

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Considering who his parents were, you would think he would have had a better chance of not being such an insufferable, talentless dork (and, yes, you can count me as a fan of Ono...not sure if that is still considered a bad opinion to have).

I actually liked his project with Les Claypool, but it was likely a one-off thing. But his best musical contribution is still playing bass on Cibo Matto's version of "Spoon".

I like some Yoko ("Why/Why Not") better than other Yoko ("Cambridge 1969"), but as long as we can agree that she's crazy as cat shit.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 pm

The Lost One plays as an hour and a half long confession from a man who has nearly turned grey from keeping his secret in for so long. If viewed from this perspective, that this is a story being rushed out in the telling, focusing mainly on the mans crimes themselves with simply just enough fragments of the surrounding story to orient oneself, there is a surreal insularity in how Peter Lorre’s sole directorial/screenwriting effort plays out. This may be a little too forgiving though, since it just as often feels that the novice Lorre might simply not know how to adequately tease out all of the details that would tighten up his vision. As a result, motivations of characters are frequently murky and even the mood of the film seems at times awkward, tonal shifts happening between scenes that are not profoundly strange enough to be provocative, only awkward and slightly confusing. It also doesn’t help matters that the copy I have in my possession has some of the clunkiest subtitling I’ve seen in awhile, with frequent misspellings, hieroglyphical puncutation and completely incorrect words being used in some instances. That being said, it is still worthwhile taking the more forgiving route in watching this movie, and accept its occasional thinness. It has some marvelous moments of gloomy mood, lots of gloomy Peter Lorre sulking, and other gloomy sorts of Nazi riff raff thrown in just for good measure.

Not bad.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
As long as we can agree that she's crazy as cat shit.

Sure, but I've never held that against any other artists I admire, and when it comes to Ono, it seems her craziness, or her pretentions, or her no shits given attitude, are frequently held against her in ways that I wouldn't think of doing with other similarly polarizing artists. Her high points are high enough that she by now should probably have a little more respect than the general attitude towards her of 'the bitch who broke up the Beatles', which is an awful simplification in its own way.

I don't like a lot of what she did. The closer she moves towards standard songwriting, the more I find myself bored or frustrated by her. But her earlier more sonic explorations, particularly with her voice, can frequently be pretty amazing things. As can a lot of her conceptual art work.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
she by now should probably have a little more respect than the general attitude towards her of 'the bitch who broke up the Beatles', which is an awful simplification in its own way.

It is an awful simplification. Lennon was obviously the bitch who broke up the Beatles. Even Allen Klein, who forced McCartney into legal action to avoid his slimey avarice, was there primarially at Lennon's insistence, and even Klein was pissed when Lennon announced his intention to leave the group just as they were about to sign a record-breaking royalty renegotiation. Lennon could be a fool, and it's debatable whether Yoko was any worse an influence than the drugs he was sucking up his considerable nose.

I judge Yoko mostly on the biographical consistency for how she tended to treat nearly everyone around her like shit. That includes Lennon, of course. Warhol was one of the few to call her out on this, and that's why her art never took a footing in New York in the 60s when she was still an appendage of Fluxus. She was not a gracious woman, treating even peers like servants.

The story of Sean's conception is an interesting one, mysterious in its lack of detail. Most of the story is from May Pang's book, but has been corroborated in others. At this time Lennon and Ono were still separated, in early '75, but Yoko had offered John a hypnotic cure to stop smoking. He was due to go to the Dakota one afternoon, and had told Pang that he would be back that evening, and the following day they were set to go house-shopping in Long Island. Lennon didn't return for four days. During that time, Pang said she called the Dakota, and heard what she described as several people and some loud commotion, and Yoko told her that John was sick and unable to come to the phone. When John finally returned, she described him as being like a zombie (and others described him in the same state at the time), and he immediately packed and cancelled all of their future plans together. John had also planned to meet McCartney in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and cancelled that as well. Lennon later had only a vague recollection of the therapy, which involved him throwing up a lot and being in a trance. Anyway, Yoko soon discovered that she was pregnant, and both her and John had claimed that the conception must have taken place during their one union, because they had only had one union in early '75. This is also strange due to Yoko's history of miscarraiges, when she had been deemed unlikely to bring a baby to full term, and John had been tested as having an extraordinarily low sperm count due to his drug use. They both considered Sean, then, as a miracle child, seemingly conceived against so many odds. And it probably didn't help Yoko's reputation as something of a witch that she was openly using Santeria voodoo paraphernalia around the Dakota. So, given the fact of the Dakota, it wasn't too long before people saw this curious event as something sinisterly similar to Rosemary's Baby. Honestly though, I think Sean would definitely rock harder if this were the case. Satan would not let his child look like some Black Crowe reject on mail-order psychedelics.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Top 5 Strokes

1) Julian Casablancas
2) Albert Hammond Jr.
3) Nikolai Fraiture
4) Nick Valensi
5) Fab Moretti

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Top 5 Strokes

1) Julian Casablancas
2) Albert Hammond Jr.
3) Nikolai Fraiture
4) Nick Valensi
5) Fab Moretti

Valensi > Fraiture, imo

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Here's a film that I can't find too much about. Advertised as an avant garde horror film on Prime, I took the plunge. It's not really a horror film, more of a psychological drama, similar in some ways to Images or Rachel Rachel but nowhere near the quality of those films. It's frankly an exploitation flick, and the "horror" amounts to periodic screaming and poorly executed jump edits. The editing, in general, is atrocious, with flashback montages that may have intended to be jarring looking instead like a freshman with scissors. Also, there's a lot of consistent sex and nudity. I wouldn't say that it's necesssarily gratuitous - the film's central drama involves a yound woman who's been sexually traumatized - but its taste is put into question by its context.

But the film has its positives. The story is intriguing, a young actress seduced and excreted by the less savory sectors of the entertainment industry. One could draw a meta-critique from the fact that the film is produced not only by those in this less savory sector, but also for that very audience indulging in this exploitation. Maybe the film is more subversive than immediately apparent. Actually, I think it's quite interesting to see certain parallels to films like Perfect Blue or Neon Demon in that light, as well as the more psychologically fractured films above. I think there's an ambition at work here that is undermined by its genre. The best evidence for this ambition must be in the actress Anne Chapman, a professional dancer who doesn't have many acting credits to her name. Her performance, however, greatly elevates the material and she takes the complexity of the role in good faith. Outside of its editing problems, the film also looks pretty good, not exactly "avant garde" as promised, but much more arty than it's 42nd Street bretheren.

I have to say I recommend it.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Valensi > Fraiture, imo

I think it is fair to say that Valensi should probably be at number 2, since it generally seems that it's him and Casablancas that are the architect for the bands sound. Since Valensi always comes off as a humorless drip in interviews though, I just prefer to imagine that all of the guitar work I like on the albums is done by Hammond, since that's the way it should have been.

I'm a fan of Fraiture. I think the rhythm section in this band generally gets slagged a little much. Sure Morretti is basically just a servicably energetic drummer (and all that is really required here), but Fraiture has a number basslines over the course of the first two albums that really make the songs swing, and I think are pretty essential to the overall sound of the band. Makes them move beyond just being pigeonholed as nothing but a new wave/rock revamp. Because they weren't. And he's one of the reasons.

Really though, I was just writing that list because I thought it was funny to try and rank the Strokes individually, when the only one that stands out as being genuinely special is Casablancas. Really good band, collectively. Really great singer, individually.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Russian science fiction that tantalizes with all of its moody possibilities, but instead delivers a bit of a deliberate shrug of an ending. The lack of answers though, considering the strange journey the film moves through, from train rides through inferno plagued waste lands, reclusive shotgun packing dwarves that are tracked down through dreams and a rain drenched town filled with mysterious hooded men called 'wetters', allows one to enjoy the surrealistic mood if the science fiction mostly ends up coming up as a bit of a bluff.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:43 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I think it is fair to say that Valensi should probably be at number 2, since it generally seems that it's him and Casablancas that are the architect for the bands sound. Since Valensi always comes off as a humorless drip in interviews though, I just prefer to imagine that all of the guitar work I like on the albums is done by Hammond, since that's the way it should have been.

At their best, like "Modern Age" or something, it quickly becomes irrelevent which guitar player is playing lead or rhythm, as the two have melded together in some kind of unholy centrifugal union of sweat and pistons. The bass, for the most part, seems to stick to chord roots, and follows Valensi pretty faithfully. Yes, the bass can sometimes hit on some unconventional harmony roots, but more often than not, this is because Valensi is playing an unorthodox chord or Hammand is playing a complementary chord which allows for greater flexibility in which bass note to hit. But I'm suspicious of Fraiture's lack of speed or sinewy lines. He's solid as stone, but plays like his parts are already written out for him.

Still essential to the sound's propulsion. Like Moretti's drums. It's fun to point out that one of their best songs, "Hard to Explain" starts out with a drum machine. That's not the point. The point is the difference it makes when Moretti comes in with his cymbals at the chorus.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
At their best, like "Modern Age" or something, it quickly becomes irrelevent which guitar player is playing lead or rhythm, as the two have melded together in some kind of unholy centrifugal union of sweat and pistons. The bass, for the most part, seems to stick to chord roots, and follows Valensi pretty faithfully. Yes, the bass can sometimes hit on some unconventional harmony roots, but more often than not, this is because Valensi is playing an unorthodox chord or Hammand is playing a complementary chord which allows for greater flexibility in which bass note to hit. But I'm suspicious of Fraiture's lack of speed or sinewy lines. He's solid as stone, but plays like his parts are already written out for him.

Still essential to the sound's propulsion. Like Moretti's drums. It's fun to point out that one of their best songs, "Hard to Explain" starts out with a drum machine. That's not the point. The point is the difference it makes when Moretti comes in with his cymbals at the chorus.

Interesting breakdown on a band that I have always found myself surprised by how much I like. Usually albums that immediately ingratiate themselves to me, and that I play to death, I burn out on really quickly and never revisit. But I never seem to tire of the first two Strokes records and have continued to listen to them semi regularly since they've come out. What you say about how each member plays towards their whole sound is possibly what allows my ears to never tire of a band that I've always found too many critics (even those that are fans) just quickly dismiss as rock and roll ear candy.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 am

How can one begin to rate happiness out of 10?

#foolserrand

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Again? It's not even Christmas....

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Look at that poster. Just look at it. I was promised a cheap Asian Robocop knockoff fighting highly militarized Chinese vampires. And with my mouth watered for this hash, instead I get this fucking trash bucket.

This loser would get laughed out of every special ed Halloween costume contest in Baltimore.

This is like reaching for that awesome looking video game cover, taking it home, and then realizing too late that it's really just some recycled red pong code.

(Yes, that's a Yars Revenge joke.)

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:23 am

crumbsroom wrote:

How can one begin to rate happiness out of 10?

#foolserrand

Dude, what the fuck is that?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 am

Jinnistan wrote:

This is like reaching for that awesome looking video game cover, taking it home, and then realizing too late that it's really just some recycled red pong code.

Hey, we all got burned on Yars' Revenge.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:27 am

Wooley wrote:
Hey, we all got burned on Yars' Revenge.

I thought I was wiser :-/

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:39 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Again? It's not even Christmas....

I'll let you decide who wears it better.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:32 am

Wooley wrote:
Dude, what the fuck is that?

Michael Findlay's third most notorious contribution to underground scuzz culture, besides The Flesh Trilogy and his own spectacular demise by helicopter blade.

It's the Yeti film, that even fans of Yeti films probably don't want to see. But it has some amazingly hilarious moments scattered between long boring scenes of a ponytailed scientist sitting around discussing the migratory habits of Bigfoot.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 am

Jinnistan wrote:

Better than getting duped by promises of winning a rare and fantastically expensive jewel by this extravagant turd of a game

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:45 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Better than getting duped by promises of winning a rare and fantastically expensive jewel by this extravagant turd of a game

Ah, yeah. That was E.T. with chalices rather than Reeses Pieces.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:59 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Ah, yeah. That was E.T. with chalices rather than Reeses Pieces.

Yup. And lucky me had both.

Just look at this shit

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:04 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I forgot about the magic bong on the right.

Oh well. I still have my fond memories of Raiders of the Lost Ark, one of the few RPGs of the Atari era that did it right. Tsetse flies be damned.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Yup. And lucky me had both.

Just look at this shit

One just shakes one's head that they actually released that and E.T.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:34 am

crumbsroom wrote:

That reminds me of this nice retrospective video James Rolfe (aka The Angry Video Game Nerd) made about the Swordquest series:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next